Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
LumpyGuitar

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Picked up a bomber of this for a friend and myself who enjoy hot food and peppers.

Poured a orangish amber with a thin finger of very light green head. Head retention is poor, and it reduced itself to edges in only a minute. Lacing is mild.

Smell is interesting. Mild pepper and smoke with a very light malt.

Taste is a strong sweet hop, followed suit by a sour smoked pepper flavor. Finish is a bit strong, and leaves a mild heat in the back of your mouth.

Mouthfeel is smooth and light bodied, feels watered down a bit and I wish the pepper was strong.

My overall impression of this is that its a novelty beer. I'd drink it again for sure but because of the hop and spice mix, something I know doesn't mix well with alot of foods, I'd have a hard time pairing it, and would limit it to rare occasions when I'd want an odd beer out.

02-21-2009 00:42:24 | More by LumpyGuitar
Foxman

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

It pours a clear and glinty ruby/amber, fairly carbonated. A finger of whitish head slips quickly to a paisley foam film. Runes of lacing interate on the glass.

The aroma has a slightly malty earthiness which is promptly trumped by the flinty vegetal edge of the chipotle partnered with a mild spiced smoky haze.

A taste brings a flash of toasted malt, rather short-lived but present, that cedes so soon to a mildly smoky presence of chipotle, springing up visions of the pepper's skin and ribs. The spicy bitterness of the pepper comes through toward the end more prominently. The finish carries a snappy bite and gently lingering bitterness. It's maybe not the finest mating or elements, but it is interesting how it makes you imagine a capsaicin glow that's not really there.

Between light and medium bodied, the light smoke and peppery snap make it almost tangible, leaving a mellow glow behind.

I really wasn't sure what to expect from a chile beer after Cave Creek ruined my sense of adventure in that direction for quite some time, but what stands out is how real the pepper becomes as you drink. It's a pretty wild diversion, the way it presents something new and unusual to the palate. It is reasonably drinkable, but that's mitigated by the character that gives it an almost novelty status. It's not destined to become a favorite, but it does go to show that most things in life are worth trying at least one time.

11-13-2005 20:52:14 | More by Foxman
afausser

Montana

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

On tap at Beer Run in Charlottesville, VA.

Appearance: Pours a reddish mahogany, with a small amount of persistent head and plenty of lacing.

Smell: Faint, in general, with hints of smoke and spice, as well as some sweet malty notes.

Taste: I ate nachos right before having this beer, and I'm now regretting it--tastes slightly hot, VERY peppery. The jalepeno taste is not particularly overpowering, but was a little too much at that point for me.

Mouthfeel: Interesting. Very light and smooth, but ends with a kick with the peppers, which are primarily present as an aftertaste. The lower level of carbonation works really well to compliment the spices--I have a feeling that much more would have just made it far too fizzy.

Drinkability: Not too great for this one. To be fair, I was a little tired of the spicy taste already, but I don't think it would be easy to drink regardless. It's not a bad beer--in fact, it's a pretty interesting one--but it's more of a novelty than anything I think I'd actively seek out again. I just feel like something's missing...

11-30-2009 20:18:21 | More by afausser
scruffwhor

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

The first chile beer I've ever reviewed.

Appearance- Pours a very deep copper amber hue with only light bubbling but some noticeable lacing. The color is just awesome, I must reitorate. A little feline foam remains for only a couple of sips.

Smell- Very oddball smokey amber malt aroma. Not like the amber malts but of mildly spicey vegetables. Prety unique. The chipotle does makes its presence known.

Taste- Starts with a normal red ale toasty and biscuity flavor. Then the toast turns into smoke. Pepper smoke. A nice, easy, and very palateable chipotle aroma. Very interesting mix of a traditional amber ale. with soem smokey and slighlkty spicey peppers.

09-18-2006 01:15:24 | More by scruffwhor
grittybrews

Washington

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured a dark ruby amber into a tulip with two fingers of bright white head. Aroma dominated by chipotle pepper (go figure).

Moderate carbonation and a creamy mouthfeel. Chipotle up front followed by solid caramelmaltt and a more smoke-dominated pepper character on the finish.

Nicely done, but a little one-dimensional. Malt. Chipotle. Okay, I guess that's two dimensions.

06-20-2011 04:07:23 | More by grittybrews
everetends

Alabama

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Bottle was given to me by a Rogue rep. Poured into a pint tumbler.

A: Poured an orange color with a bit of cloud to it. Little head with little retention.

S: Smells mostly sweet with malt in there. Has a smokiness that I can only assume is the chipolte.

T: Actually pretty good. The sweetness of the malt really carries this beer far. On the backend, the chipolte bite tickles the back of your tongue and throat. Nothing too crazy with spice, very subtle.

M: Finishes pretty clean and has some decent carbonation to help this beer along. Aftertaste is a bit of chipolte bite that lingers in your throat.

D: This is definitely a beer to be had with a meal. Would really complement some BBQ or mexican food. I wouldn't drink this as a relaxing beer on a night after work, but given the right circumstances I would drink this again.

06-01-2008 20:55:24 | More by everetends
sabrills70

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a clear medium amber with a 1 finger head and good lacing. I don't get too much nose on this one but I do get some smoke and malt aromas. Taste is similar in start to their smoked ale but you don't get the "ham" flavor instead it is of very mild pepper, not spicy at all. Very nicely balanced between malt, hops and smokiness. A very nice example of the style. The complete opposite of cave creek. (ick,yuk)

07-10-2005 01:46:24 | More by sabrills70
CharlatanSin

Connecticut

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Served in a pint glass at the Bronx Ale House.

A: Pours a clear, light orange/red. One finger tan head that sticks around and laces a bit.

S: Smoky, but not overpoweringly so. A good amount of sweet malt to balance it.

T: Not at all what I had expected. I'm not picking up too much heat in this beer at all. It's smoky, and there's a definite an adobe/chipotle undercurrent throughout. But it's also quite malty, a mellow sweet bread flavor. Some tingly hops, too.

M/D: Carbonation is pretty low, and mouthfeel is fairly light. I liked the taste at first, but by the end, the smokiness wore out its welcome and I was ready to switch. I think this beer has a lot of potential when paired well with food, but it's a bit much on its own.

01-01-2010 19:49:17 | More by CharlatanSin
association330

22 oz. bomber, no freshness date

A - Pours cloudy amber with a half-finger of off white head that quickly drops to a thin, but sticky cap with decent lace.

S - A bit of sweet malts, smoky chipotles, black pepper

T - Again, a bit of malt sweetness up front. Swallow reveals a touch of hop bitterness. Finishes with a bit of lingering jalapeno heat, really nothing major for my tongue. It does build a little towards the end of the bottle though.

M - Body on the light side of moderate, with moderate carbonation.

D - A really fun brew to try and worth picking up, even if it's only once. I'd definitely drink it again though, especially with mild-to-moderately spicy food or a steak-y fish (tuna, sword, etc.)

07-24-2010 05:18:49 | More by association330
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Shimmering, juicy orange with intimations of copper and edges of gold bullion. If a color can suggest quality, this one does. The cream colored head is as foamtastic as most other Rogue offerings. It's thickly creamy and is semi-rocky as it melts. Even though I'd like more lace, that borders on nitpicking when the color and the head are this good.

I don't know that I'd have been able to identify this as a chile beer by scent alone. Yeah, it's spicy, but chile pepper wouldn't have been high on my list of guesses. There isn't much to go on. I guess that chipotle peppers carry a small stick when it comes to aroma, a big stick when it comes to flavor and an even bigger stick when it comes to heat. Thankfully, with warming, the nose opens up a little.

Chipotle Ale isn't bad, although I'm not blown away by the flavor or the heat. According to the brewery, Rogue Oregon Golden Ale serves as the base beer. That seems like a good, neutral choice that would allow (in theory at least) the flavor of the roasted peppers to shine. The beer is well-malted with a slightly sweet underbelly that goes well with a modest hoppy bitterness and a less than awe inspiring amount of spicy heat.

The hop bill consists of Willamette and Cascade. The bright citrusiness of the latter is another nice counterpoint to the earthy pepper flavor. This beer is all about contrasts. It's just too bad the contrasts aren't more pronounced. The flavor lacks the zestiness that should be a major part of any chile beer. It isn't like these guys to ease off the accelerator.

It must have been difficult to decide how much chile pepper to add. Too little and why bother? Too much and you've recreated the abomination that is Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chile Beer. In my opinion, Rogue should have upped the flavor and heat by at least 50%. I have a minimal burn going, although it's really more of a warm tickle. I've come to expect quality mouthfeels from this brewery and I've yet to be disappointed. This one is medium, lithe, supple and is a pleasure in the mouth.

Chile beer tends to be polarizing. Looking at some of the scores, Chipotle Ale is no different. On this one, however, I find myself gravitating toward some middle ground. I think I want more of a chipotle presence, but I'm not sure if I'd like the beer that I'm suggesting they brew. If anyone out there is worried about overwhelming roasted pepper flavor and mouth numbing heat, don't be. This is a relatively tame chile beer and, in the end, is an enjoyable one.

10-21-2005 15:38:19 | More by BuckeyeNation
adamette

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from the 650 ML bottle that I purchased along with 5 other Rogue beers within the past month. Poured into my Dark Horse Brewing Company pint glass. From message written on the side of the bottle: Dedicated to Spanish author Juan de la Cueva, who, in 1575, wrote of a Mexican dish that combined seedless chipotles with ale. This ale is deep amber in color with a rich malty aroma, and delicately spiced with smoked Jalapeno Peppers to give it that extra bite!

A Nice medium brown/amber body under a very light brown creamy, fluffy one inch head after a vigorous pour. Sediment floating about . 4.0

S There is a nice, smoky smoked ham smell in addition to a nice preview of the spice brought on undoubtedly by the peppers. I really like this smell. It is interesting, inviting. 4.5

T I am not sure about this beer. There is an odd rauchbier quality of the smoked aspect to it and the peppers do not come through for me until the aftertaste. The rauchbier quality is not the dynamic, interesting quality of one of the Acht Schlelanka quality but a rather flat quality that I do not like too much. The peppers, which come in at about the aftertaste, are kind of an after thought, only present at the end. Contrast this with DHF Theoromba whose chili tastes are throughout and are much more present. This beer's taste was hard for me to rate but here goes: 3.5

M Minimally smooth feel but mostly this is moderate. There is a bit of bite with the pepper taste in the aftertaste but really it is moderate. I like the feel though. 4.0

D Only fair for me. The odd flatness and rauchbier qualities do not jive well with the pepper aftertaste. I will finish the 22 ounces but will most likely not seek this one out again. 3.0

11-26-2009 02:58:14 | More by adamette
merlin48

Kentucky

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

22oz bottle served chilled. Pours a hazy, burnt orange color, with an offwhite head that fades quickly. Only a few patches of lace were left on the glass. Aroma was very subdued for a Rogue. Sweet caramel dominated the nose, with just a hint of fruitiness and some smoke. Mouthfeel was actively carbonated with some mild hop bite and a slight twang of pepper bite. Taste featured the caramel malt sweetness, with a balance provided by sparing use of the westcoast hops. I could detect a mild, smoky chili flavor of the chipotle peppers, but they're in the background. Very well balanced, overall, and very drinkable. I think this one would be better with a more assertive pepper presence.

02-18-2004 10:54:21 | More by merlin48
tastybeer

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Clear auburn brew underneath an lightly peach-yellow tinted head. Head is large and fluffy initially and promptly fades to an 1/8," edged by clumpy lace piles. Aroma is like smoked earth mixed with root veggies, butterscotch, musky floral, caramel, and dank leather. Taste has a touch of prickly spice (nothing comparable to eating fresh, hot jalapeños), among more earthy, smoky, and even slightly meaty flavors. A bit of sour acidity is interesting as it offsets the slick, slippery malts. Body is moderate in size and texture is pleasant and simple. The jalapeño adds an enjoyable warming quality. On yet another occasion, I am discovering that hot peppers enhance alcoholic beverages. Easy to drink, refreshing and roasty.

This would probably be good with some Mexican food.

07-06-2009 00:10:17 | More by tastybeer
beerluvr

Ontario (Canada)

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Mexicali pours with a modest finely-carbonated white head, over deep golden, slightly hazy liquid. Nose is a bit of lightweight malt with a light note of sulphur. Tastes malty at first, with a very slight smokiness from the Chipotle peppers, then a nice although quite subtle heat is felt in the throat, subsiding quickly. Finishes a bit weaker than I remember (it's been a year or two since I last tasted it) it used to have a bigger flavor to it, but still is a unique departure in the Light Ale catagory.

10-06-2002 10:54:51 | More by beerluvr
edskirk3

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

From a 650 mL bottle, I pour some Chipotle Ale into a pint glass. This presents a rusty red body with a brief white head. My nostrils are not set aflame by smelling it and I'm taking that as a good sign since I'm on Prilosec and all. Pepper presence is quite faint in the aroma; hops are more pronounced here.

No matter how much I've read about chile beers, I couldn't imagine how something like this would really taste. That's pretty much why I bought this stuff in the first place; it piqued my curiosity. Now I have a better idea:

At first I couldn't even detect it. Then, after a few sips, it was there. Like it says on the bottle, this beer is *delicately spiced* with smoked jalapeño (i.e. chipotle) peppers. So I start to pick up said spice in the usual areas of the tongue as well as said smokiness. I also notice that my lips are feeling it too and are a little parched by the experience, as usual when I have something spicy.

I think Rogue has the right level of heat here, balancing almost perfectly with the sweetness of the malts they use. The heat from the peppers is high enough that it's noticeable but not too high that it dominates the flavor profile and razes your taste buds. Not only would it pair well with Mexican food, but I also think it would do well with some good chocolate. Yes, I would like another but not too many.

11-21-2006 03:26:35 | More by edskirk3
villainchiwwin

Maine

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

poured into pint glass from 22 oz bottle, shared with buddy.
bright red with brown tinge; small head quickly subsided and no real lacing. sweet spicy and almost clove quality to the smell - chipotle's def noticable. sweet and 'warm' taste, spicy peppers with a long, dry finish which allows the hops to emerge slowly. light-bodied with a flash of spice and a subsequent nice raw dryness on the palate.
frankly, i didn't expect a chili beer to be so balanced.

04-30-2006 01:06:53 | More by villainchiwwin
BucBasil

South Carolina

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: Poured from the bomber into a pint glass. A strange murky brownish-red color with a nice off white two finger head that slowly dissipates. Unique looking beer.

Smell: Lightly hopped up front but then fading into a more classic beery aroma. Chipotle peppers are not as evident as I thought they would be. You really have to dig to get the aroma of them, and all you're left with really is a slight stinging sensation in the nostrils. Odd.

Taste: Not as spicy or different than I expected. Comes across at first as lightly to moderately hoppy then getting stronger in the hop department going down. A slight burning sensation remains in the mouth and throat after a pretty clean finish. Peppery character comes across faintly towards the middle, but you really have to be looking for it or you'll miss it. Good beer, but slightly disappointing.

09-22-2007 22:46:11 | More by BucBasil
Winter

Wisconsin

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a chill-hazed golden amber in color with an off-white fluffy head that eventually settles to a consistent surface covering. Aroma is light with some sweetness combined with (really light) hints of smoke and chilies (chipotles!). Mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth and medium-bodied. Some fruitiness upfront that merges with a nice malty characteristic. Midway through the influences of the chipotles can be detected, albeit lightly. Neither the smokiness nor use of chilies permeates the beer thoroughly, but its presence is subtle enough to be detected and steer the flavor of this golden ale into an intriguing direction.

Not as spectacular as other Rogue offerings but in the right time and place it has its moments. I enjoyed mine with spicy enchiladas and Mexicali Rogue was a fine companion to put out the flames from the chili sauce.

05-21-2004 00:31:37 | More by Winter
edmundfitzoil

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

I picked this bomber up at Brewer's on the Bay: a 22 oz. brown bottle with no freshness or best by date that I could find it.

The beer poured a slightly cloudy copperish red with a 1/4" or so of off whte, large bubbled head. The head retained pretty well and left some fine lacing on the glass. The beer smelled uniquely smokey with some maltiness as well. The flavor was smokey too. The beer has some maltiness to it at first with a very slight spiciness to the finish to as well. A unique flavored beer for sure.

It's a medium bodied beer that boasts of a nice crispness without a overly filling mouthfeel and a seemingly low alcohol content (I couldn't find the ABV for this one anywhere), which combined with the taste make it a pretty drinkable ale. A good beer for this category, and I would return to it if the moment or the desire strikes.

09-26-2005 05:19:54 | More by edmundfitzoil
Gagnonsux

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

My first chili ale, I assumed this would be an interesting concoction. The color is a hazy copper with good carbonation and creamy head. The aroma consists of a mild malty sweetness joined by a stronger element of the spicy and somewhat smokey chipotle. The taste is very interesting and complex. A sip starts with a standard mild malt flavor, but is soon joined by spiciness and mild smokiness. Moderately citrusy hops provide a nice bite. You can definently tastes the peppers, but the flavor isn't overwelmingly spicy. The highlight of this brew is the interplay between the malts and the chipotle towards the middle of a sip. A crisp mouthfeel is also welcomed. Despite enjoying the interesting flavor of this beer, I did get a little tired of the chili flavor by the end of my 22 oz. bottle. Only one of these every now and then would suit me fine.

06-21-2005 02:12:04 | More by Gagnonsux
Truh

New Hampshire

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Burned the devil with this one on 7/22/2004. 16-oz. pour at Redbones in a shaker glass.

Hue was amber to a slight vermilion. Little head to speak of; just a faint skein. Peppery spiciness accentuated by a grotto-like outer roundness to the whole nose gay. Not sure which hot peppers were used in this – chipolte, cascabel, California hybrid, Anaheim, jalapeno, pequin, or serrano – but whatever they were, they fired right through my lips, leaving a scalding trail up my tongue, through the roof of my mouth and up into my skull. And I loved it. There also seemed to be a slight cream edge, like baker’s chocolate. The spice didn’t really catch fire until five or six seconds after each swallow. I was happy that the only other thing I was eating at Redbones on this visit was water, and not their barbecue, because I think that would have been sheer overkill. Overall, this is a medium-bodied offering and one that I would choose to have more than one of if my tongue would allow it. I truly enjoyed this unusual pour, and in the end, it packed no more heat than a few drops of Tabasco.

09-24-2004 23:50:10 | More by Truh
tai4ji2x

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

22oz bomber. on the side of the bottle, right near the bottom, printed in hard-to-see black ink is "009 B1 1736", whatever that means. tasted in mid-may 2009.

coppery amber and semi-dark honey. clear. 2-finger off-white head is foamy, rocky. fades to wispy layer. great lacing, foamy, and nearly a full curtain further down the glass.

very malty aroma, caramel, hint of apple esters, trace of hop, faint chile pepper tingle. rogue's signature pacman house yeast is pretty easy to pick out.

malty, almost savory flavor continues on the palate. mild hops and gentle chile note seem to mix with the faint fusel or spicy phenols. and the mild to moderate bitterness thus peaks, then lingers. some fruity esters peek through, but the fusel and phenolic note starts to get slightly distracting. sometimes this is the thing about pacman that i'm just not fond of. faint tingle of heat from the chiles.

light to medium body, smooth, with touch of resin and astringency (from phenols?) in finish. moderate carbonation is lightly prickly, but momentarily peaks with the phenols, and at this moment is accentuated a bit over-the-top...

nonetheless, an interesting novelty.

08-10-2009 23:11:31 | More by tai4ji2x
shark262

Colorado

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a very clear copper/orange (way to go Pacman yeast). Thin, compact head dissipates extremely rapidly to nothing (likely due to chipotle oils in the beer). During sipping, there is no lacing that clings to the glass.

Scents of toffee, faint caramel, slight floral hop presence.

Medium to highly carbonated brew hits the palate and helps to spread the flavors around. Thin, but crisp mouthfeel. I would like a little more malt presence up front to balance the 35 IBUs of cascade and willamette hops. But, I do initially taste some earthy caramel and slight nutty flavor. The chipotle presence quickly exerts itself as the liquid warms. This pepper taste lingers for a long time on the palette after each sip, especially in the back of the mouth.

Although I couldn't drink pint after pint of this interesting ale, I do appreciate the creativity inherent in the recipe. The chipotle flavor is not overpowering and is quite interesting. I will purchase this brew again and have already started thinking about fun food pairings.

06-12-2007 01:27:58 | More by shark262
nimrod979

Maryland

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

I've seen this beer around and decided to give it a shot finally. It sounded interesting at the least. I think this is probably the first "chile beer" I've ever tried.

This bomber poured a rich clear amber color with a thick white head that fades to almost nothing a bit quickly.

Aroma is big on the chipotle peppers. Hint of smoke and hops. and a mild malty sweetness.

Taste is where this thing gets really interesting. The smoky chipotle peppers really come through and is the most prominent flavor. Very little but balanced malt and hops hide but can be tasted. Very different from anything I've ever had. It's clean though.

Medium creamy body. Decent carbonation. A bit of spiciness but finishes clean and smooth and is pairing excellently with the mexican dish I am eating. It's different and definitely not something I'd drink every day but it was enjoyable.

03-18-2012 23:54:24 | More by nimrod979
bgjohnston

Connecticut

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

This was an oddball beer choice that I made when I was in the mood for something "different". I poured it at cellar temperature into a pint glass.

The color was a reddish-orange, with a small head that quickly went away. Smell hinted at the smokey pepper flavor that was to come. It was actually fairly spicy, although not as much as a boilermaker spiked with Tobasco. The distinct smokey chipotle flavor was there, as well as a little hoppiness, too.

I enjoyed it, but it is not my usual beer experience. A style of its own, I think.

02-07-2009 17:30:46 | More by bgjohnston