Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
adamette

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from the 650 ML bottle that I purchased along with 5 other Rogue beers within the past month. Poured into my Dark Horse Brewing Company pint glass. From message written on the side of the bottle: Dedicated to Spanish author Juan de la Cueva, who, in 1575, wrote of a Mexican dish that combined seedless chipotles with ale. This ale is deep amber in color with a rich malty aroma, and delicately spiced with smoked Jalapeno Peppers to give it that extra bite!

A Nice medium brown/amber body under a very light brown creamy, fluffy one inch head after a vigorous pour. Sediment floating about . 4.0

S There is a nice, smoky smoked ham smell in addition to a nice preview of the spice brought on undoubtedly by the peppers. I really like this smell. It is interesting, inviting. 4.5

T I am not sure about this beer. There is an odd rauchbier quality of the smoked aspect to it and the peppers do not come through for me until the aftertaste. The rauchbier quality is not the dynamic, interesting quality of one of the Acht Schlelanka quality but a rather flat quality that I do not like too much. The peppers, which come in at about the aftertaste, are kind of an after thought, only present at the end. Contrast this with DHF Theoromba whose chili tastes are throughout and are much more present. This beer's taste was hard for me to rate but here goes: 3.5

M Minimally smooth feel but mostly this is moderate. There is a bit of bite with the pepper taste in the aftertaste but really it is moderate. I like the feel though. 4.0

D Only fair for me. The odd flatness and rauchbier qualities do not jive well with the pepper aftertaste. I will finish the 22 ounces but will most likely not seek this one out again. 3.0

11-26-2009 02:58:14 | More by adamette
merlin48

Kentucky

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

22oz bottle served chilled. Pours a hazy, burnt orange color, with an offwhite head that fades quickly. Only a few patches of lace were left on the glass. Aroma was very subdued for a Rogue. Sweet caramel dominated the nose, with just a hint of fruitiness and some smoke. Mouthfeel was actively carbonated with some mild hop bite and a slight twang of pepper bite. Taste featured the caramel malt sweetness, with a balance provided by sparing use of the westcoast hops. I could detect a mild, smoky chili flavor of the chipotle peppers, but they're in the background. Very well balanced, overall, and very drinkable. I think this one would be better with a more assertive pepper presence.

02-18-2004 10:54:21 | More by merlin48
tastybeer

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Clear auburn brew underneath an lightly peach-yellow tinted head. Head is large and fluffy initially and promptly fades to an 1/8," edged by clumpy lace piles. Aroma is like smoked earth mixed with root veggies, butterscotch, musky floral, caramel, and dank leather. Taste has a touch of prickly spice (nothing comparable to eating fresh, hot jalapeños), among more earthy, smoky, and even slightly meaty flavors. A bit of sour acidity is interesting as it offsets the slick, slippery malts. Body is moderate in size and texture is pleasant and simple. The jalapeño adds an enjoyable warming quality. On yet another occasion, I am discovering that hot peppers enhance alcoholic beverages. Easy to drink, refreshing and roasty.

This would probably be good with some Mexican food.

07-06-2009 00:10:17 | More by tastybeer
beerluvr

Ontario (Canada)

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Mexicali pours with a modest finely-carbonated white head, over deep golden, slightly hazy liquid. Nose is a bit of lightweight malt with a light note of sulphur. Tastes malty at first, with a very slight smokiness from the Chipotle peppers, then a nice although quite subtle heat is felt in the throat, subsiding quickly. Finishes a bit weaker than I remember (it's been a year or two since I last tasted it) it used to have a bigger flavor to it, but still is a unique departure in the Light Ale catagory.

10-06-2002 10:54:51 | More by beerluvr
edskirk3

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

From a 650 mL bottle, I pour some Chipotle Ale into a pint glass. This presents a rusty red body with a brief white head. My nostrils are not set aflame by smelling it and I'm taking that as a good sign since I'm on Prilosec and all. Pepper presence is quite faint in the aroma; hops are more pronounced here.

No matter how much I've read about chile beers, I couldn't imagine how something like this would really taste. That's pretty much why I bought this stuff in the first place; it piqued my curiosity. Now I have a better idea:

At first I couldn't even detect it. Then, after a few sips, it was there. Like it says on the bottle, this beer is *delicately spiced* with smoked jalapeño (i.e. chipotle) peppers. So I start to pick up said spice in the usual areas of the tongue as well as said smokiness. I also notice that my lips are feeling it too and are a little parched by the experience, as usual when I have something spicy.

I think Rogue has the right level of heat here, balancing almost perfectly with the sweetness of the malts they use. The heat from the peppers is high enough that it's noticeable but not too high that it dominates the flavor profile and razes your taste buds. Not only would it pair well with Mexican food, but I also think it would do well with some good chocolate. Yes, I would like another but not too many.

11-21-2006 03:26:35 | More by edskirk3
villainchiwwin

Maine

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

poured into pint glass from 22 oz bottle, shared with buddy.
bright red with brown tinge; small head quickly subsided and no real lacing. sweet spicy and almost clove quality to the smell - chipotle's def noticable. sweet and 'warm' taste, spicy peppers with a long, dry finish which allows the hops to emerge slowly. light-bodied with a flash of spice and a subsequent nice raw dryness on the palate.
frankly, i didn't expect a chili beer to be so balanced.

04-30-2006 01:06:53 | More by villainchiwwin
BucBasil

South Carolina

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: Poured from the bomber into a pint glass. A strange murky brownish-red color with a nice off white two finger head that slowly dissipates. Unique looking beer.

Smell: Lightly hopped up front but then fading into a more classic beery aroma. Chipotle peppers are not as evident as I thought they would be. You really have to dig to get the aroma of them, and all you're left with really is a slight stinging sensation in the nostrils. Odd.

Taste: Not as spicy or different than I expected. Comes across at first as lightly to moderately hoppy then getting stronger in the hop department going down. A slight burning sensation remains in the mouth and throat after a pretty clean finish. Peppery character comes across faintly towards the middle, but you really have to be looking for it or you'll miss it. Good beer, but slightly disappointing.

09-22-2007 22:46:11 | More by BucBasil
Winter

Wisconsin

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a chill-hazed golden amber in color with an off-white fluffy head that eventually settles to a consistent surface covering. Aroma is light with some sweetness combined with (really light) hints of smoke and chilies (chipotles!). Mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth and medium-bodied. Some fruitiness upfront that merges with a nice malty characteristic. Midway through the influences of the chipotles can be detected, albeit lightly. Neither the smokiness nor use of chilies permeates the beer thoroughly, but its presence is subtle enough to be detected and steer the flavor of this golden ale into an intriguing direction.

Not as spectacular as other Rogue offerings but in the right time and place it has its moments. I enjoyed mine with spicy enchiladas and Mexicali Rogue was a fine companion to put out the flames from the chili sauce.

05-21-2004 00:31:37 | More by Winter
edmundfitzoil

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

I picked this bomber up at Brewer's on the Bay: a 22 oz. brown bottle with no freshness or best by date that I could find it.

The beer poured a slightly cloudy copperish red with a 1/4" or so of off whte, large bubbled head. The head retained pretty well and left some fine lacing on the glass. The beer smelled uniquely smokey with some maltiness as well. The flavor was smokey too. The beer has some maltiness to it at first with a very slight spiciness to the finish to as well. A unique flavored beer for sure.

It's a medium bodied beer that boasts of a nice crispness without a overly filling mouthfeel and a seemingly low alcohol content (I couldn't find the ABV for this one anywhere), which combined with the taste make it a pretty drinkable ale. A good beer for this category, and I would return to it if the moment or the desire strikes.

09-26-2005 05:19:54 | More by edmundfitzoil
Gagnonsux

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

My first chili ale, I assumed this would be an interesting concoction. The color is a hazy copper with good carbonation and creamy head. The aroma consists of a mild malty sweetness joined by a stronger element of the spicy and somewhat smokey chipotle. The taste is very interesting and complex. A sip starts with a standard mild malt flavor, but is soon joined by spiciness and mild smokiness. Moderately citrusy hops provide a nice bite. You can definently tastes the peppers, but the flavor isn't overwelmingly spicy. The highlight of this brew is the interplay between the malts and the chipotle towards the middle of a sip. A crisp mouthfeel is also welcomed. Despite enjoying the interesting flavor of this beer, I did get a little tired of the chili flavor by the end of my 22 oz. bottle. Only one of these every now and then would suit me fine.

06-21-2005 02:12:04 | More by Gagnonsux
Truh

New Hampshire

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Burned the devil with this one on 7/22/2004. 16-oz. pour at Redbones in a shaker glass.

Hue was amber to a slight vermilion. Little head to speak of; just a faint skein. Peppery spiciness accentuated by a grotto-like outer roundness to the whole nose gay. Not sure which hot peppers were used in this – chipolte, cascabel, California hybrid, Anaheim, jalapeno, pequin, or serrano – but whatever they were, they fired right through my lips, leaving a scalding trail up my tongue, through the roof of my mouth and up into my skull. And I loved it. There also seemed to be a slight cream edge, like baker’s chocolate. The spice didn’t really catch fire until five or six seconds after each swallow. I was happy that the only other thing I was eating at Redbones on this visit was water, and not their barbecue, because I think that would have been sheer overkill. Overall, this is a medium-bodied offering and one that I would choose to have more than one of if my tongue would allow it. I truly enjoyed this unusual pour, and in the end, it packed no more heat than a few drops of Tabasco.

09-24-2004 23:50:10 | More by Truh
tai4ji2x

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

22oz bomber. on the side of the bottle, right near the bottom, printed in hard-to-see black ink is "009 B1 1736", whatever that means. tasted in mid-may 2009.

coppery amber and semi-dark honey. clear. 2-finger off-white head is foamy, rocky. fades to wispy layer. great lacing, foamy, and nearly a full curtain further down the glass.

very malty aroma, caramel, hint of apple esters, trace of hop, faint chile pepper tingle. rogue's signature pacman house yeast is pretty easy to pick out.

malty, almost savory flavor continues on the palate. mild hops and gentle chile note seem to mix with the faint fusel or spicy phenols. and the mild to moderate bitterness thus peaks, then lingers. some fruity esters peek through, but the fusel and phenolic note starts to get slightly distracting. sometimes this is the thing about pacman that i'm just not fond of. faint tingle of heat from the chiles.

light to medium body, smooth, with touch of resin and astringency (from phenols?) in finish. moderate carbonation is lightly prickly, but momentarily peaks with the phenols, and at this moment is accentuated a bit over-the-top...

nonetheless, an interesting novelty.

08-10-2009 23:11:31 | More by tai4ji2x
shark262

Colorado

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a very clear copper/orange (way to go Pacman yeast). Thin, compact head dissipates extremely rapidly to nothing (likely due to chipotle oils in the beer). During sipping, there is no lacing that clings to the glass.

Scents of toffee, faint caramel, slight floral hop presence.

Medium to highly carbonated brew hits the palate and helps to spread the flavors around. Thin, but crisp mouthfeel. I would like a little more malt presence up front to balance the 35 IBUs of cascade and willamette hops. But, I do initially taste some earthy caramel and slight nutty flavor. The chipotle presence quickly exerts itself as the liquid warms. This pepper taste lingers for a long time on the palette after each sip, especially in the back of the mouth.

Although I couldn't drink pint after pint of this interesting ale, I do appreciate the creativity inherent in the recipe. The chipotle flavor is not overpowering and is quite interesting. I will purchase this brew again and have already started thinking about fun food pairings.

06-12-2007 01:27:58 | More by shark262
nimrod979

Maryland

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

I've seen this beer around and decided to give it a shot finally. It sounded interesting at the least. I think this is probably the first "chile beer" I've ever tried.

This bomber poured a rich clear amber color with a thick white head that fades to almost nothing a bit quickly.

Aroma is big on the chipotle peppers. Hint of smoke and hops. and a mild malty sweetness.

Taste is where this thing gets really interesting. The smoky chipotle peppers really come through and is the most prominent flavor. Very little but balanced malt and hops hide but can be tasted. Very different from anything I've ever had. It's clean though.

Medium creamy body. Decent carbonation. A bit of spiciness but finishes clean and smooth and is pairing excellently with the mexican dish I am eating. It's different and definitely not something I'd drink every day but it was enjoyable.

03-18-2012 23:54:24 | More by nimrod979
bgjohnston

Connecticut

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

This was an oddball beer choice that I made when I was in the mood for something "different". I poured it at cellar temperature into a pint glass.

The color was a reddish-orange, with a small head that quickly went away. Smell hinted at the smokey pepper flavor that was to come. It was actually fairly spicy, although not as much as a boilermaker spiked with Tobasco. The distinct smokey chipotle flavor was there, as well as a little hoppiness, too.

I enjoyed it, but it is not my usual beer experience. A style of its own, I think.

02-07-2009 17:30:46 | More by bgjohnston
jwc215

Wisconsin

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours apple juice copper with a thin bubbly, foamy white head that leaves foamy patches on the glass.

The smell is of the Rogue signature Pac-man yeast, with bready, citric, grainy notes. Not catching the chipotle, other than a slightly smoky whiff that could easily be missed.

The taste is of ... Rogue's signature Pac-man yeast strain. A nice yeast strain, to say the least. Otherwise, there is a bready taste with a touch of citrus and pine. The hops add flavor, but little bitterness, as this remains sweet throughout. The spicy part starts out very very mild, but grows a bit as it progresses, more in the form of smokiness than sharp heat. Finishes sweet with a touch of smoky balance.

It has a medium body with lingering sweetness.

Drinks easily. Not the chile heat that I expected, but that is probably not a bad thing. Interesting as "something different", but not enough to it (in any direction of the several that it goes) to get again.

05-10-2008 21:48:29 | More by jwc215
soupyman10

District of Columbia

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a nice looking amber color with nice copper highlights and a white head on top that dissolves fairly slowly, although there's no real lacing. Nose is spicy malt, some smokiness, and roasted malt as well. Taste is similar. Spicy malt up front, some toffee and smokiness in there too. The chipotle spice shows up in the middle and sticks it through the aftertaste, a strangely spicy brew (my first chile brew). Kind of like a mild bitter or solid spicy malt beer, taken to the extreme in terms of spiciness. Overall, I liked this one. Very interesting.

04-06-2008 03:20:41 | More by soupyman10
TastyTaste

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured into a Schell tulip from a 22oz. bomber. Color is of dark iced tea, with a small white bubbly head that melts down to a small island of foam in the middle of the beer. I had a bottle of rogue smoke ale last week and it smells about the same, smoke. Taste is definitely of smoke for most of the sip, but leaves a chipotle tang at the end. Not anything I would call spicy (I use Tabasco at least 2 meals a day). Much better than Rogue's Smoke Ale, but nothing I would get ever again. Worth a try, though.

10-09-2004 15:15:42 | More by TastyTaste
YonderWanderer

Colorado

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Pours a nice clear copper color with a thin layer of head. Dissipates fairly quickly and doesn't leave much lacing.

S: Not much of a smell. A little bit of malt and smoke, but not much.

T: The malt hits you first with some sweetness, followed by some hints of smoke. The pepper flavor comes out the end, but isn't dominating or overpowering. It's subtle but present. I found it interesting that some sips of this beer that I took were better than others. A few sips had a really nice hops/pepper finish to them that was quite tasty.

M: Smooth, felt a little thin, but overall not bad. Good carbonation.

D: For me, this is an occasional beer. It's tasty, but not something I'd want all the time. Definitely worth a try though.

08-18-2007 11:59:14 | More by YonderWanderer
TheMadJack

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from 650 ml. Bottle into Nonic.

Rusty brown, clear, with a half-inch of creamy, off-white head which doesn't seem to lace at all.

Smells strongly of cedary smoke with hints of unsweetened chocolate, maple, apples, and oily hops.

Smoke permeates the flavor as well. Toast, bitter chocolate, cedar, and an oily bitterness. Vague cooked plant flavors, presumably from the Chipotles with which this beer was brewed. Very slight warmth on the back of the throat quickly fades.

The mouthfeel is full, warm, and oily smooth. Fizzy carbonation and decent weight.

This is an interesting beer that I don't think would be well suited to session drinking. I look forward to experimenting with various food pairings, but sitting down at the pub and having three or four in a row doesn't really sound ideal.

03-22-2010 22:49:35 | More by TheMadJack
bbb099

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Pours with a moderate amount of head. Has a hazy copper color.

S - A good aroma of yeast with hints of spices.

T - First taste is mostly malt, then the smoky chipotle heat hits you. I noted a little sourness at the end.

M - Medium bodied. Maybe just a tad bit flat though.

D - I personally love the spiciness. Quite savory as it goes down.

12-20-2010 06:26:54 | More by bbb099
loren01

Oregon

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Pours an orangish amber color with. Small head that dissipated quickly
S: Smell is smoky and slighlty malty
T: Taste is peppery, smokey. Tastes like chipolte jack cheese
M: Mild to moderate amount of carbonation
D: Interesting beer, would go very good with a good cheese.

07-06-2006 13:01:31 | More by loren01
CampusCrew

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: amber-hued body with a thinnish, near white head. decent lacing.

Smell: toasty amber malts, nice smokey aromas

Taste: wow, nice and smokey, but low heat. I was expecting more pepper heat on the backend and through throat. disappointe din that.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body.

Drinkability: decent beer, could have used more heat. Ot's a chili beer!

06-22-2010 03:30:24 | More by CampusCrew
QuentinCompson

Drunk from a pint-glass, on-tap at Rogue Ale House

Hate/love tasting of this brew

A - Nice and dark, brownish

S - Peppery

T - Goes in like a dark ale, porter, half-stout; then peppers kick in, nice sensation, but then just ramming the buds like a tabasco kick. A bit much, but I looked forward to another sip, though I knew it wouldnt be for a bit.

D - Slow drinking brew. Definitely not a consecutive brew for my taste, but enjoyable. Worth a try.

I would be curious as to the ABV on this one (above it says "?")

04-25-2008 16:59:10 | More by QuentinCompson
SilentSabre

North Dakota

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Oh wow. I was really impressed with this one, not knowing what to expect, really. It poured a bit darker than I was thinking it would. Slightly cloudy medium bronze orange colour with a slightly off-white head that went away pretty quickly. Smell is mostly sweet malts and smoke. Taste is more of the same, with very little hot pepper presence. Only a very slight tingle, and that's kind of hit or miss. Sometimes it's present, and sometimes not. Actually, there is a slight heat that's noticeable many seconds after you swallow your sip. Quite smooth and drinkable. Very impressive, for what it is. I'd definately buy this again. Nice job, Rogue.

08-05-2006 02:58:16 | More by SilentSabre