Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States | website

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Reviews: 695 | Ratings: 1,390
3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

1 pint 6 fl oz/650 mL bottle poured to wine glass
Aroma(3.5): malts-cereal, yeast: earthy,
Appearance(3.75): amber, light brown, frothy, white foam, some lacing
Taste(3.25): lightly bitter, with spicy follow through that stays on roof of mouth and tongue
Palate(3.25):medium body, creamy, average carbonation, long finish,
Overall(3.75): Good beer, can be repeated but not something to look forward to
Drank: March 16, 2016

3.15/5  rDev -12.3%

As usual for the pepper beers I find this to be a one note beer that is uninteresting. A shared bottle between friends was more than enough. I guess I'm just not a fan of pepper beers.

4.09/5  rDev +13.9%

This was poured into a nonic pint glass.
The appearance was a hazy muddy brown color with a thin white head. Lacing spider webs and slides into the beer.
The smell, well, whaddaya think is there, obviously chipotle heat up front. Nice and peppery. Light breadiness here and there.
The taste was spicy initially and then takes in a sly little bit of bready sweetness to make an effort to balance. Nice spicy aftertaste with a dry finish.
The mouthfeel was about light to medium bodied with a crisp sweet to spicy feel hitting my tongue harshly.
Overall, I get it, or I think I do, I mean, it's a chile beer by style, so why are we picking on the fact that its too spicy? "Can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen, son." I'd have this again and actually have heard that it goes extremely well in beer bread.

2.88/5  rDev -19.8%

Have to admit that I just don't *get* this one. It's interesting, but there's no way in which I would describe it as "world-class". And my scepticism goes well beyond my distaste for Rogue as a company, and it's not that I don't like spice (I *love* it). It may very well be an acquired taste--I get it, I love heavily peated scotch--but until I've acquired that taste, this just strikes me as gritty, earthy, smoky, and unpleasant.

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

What a tasty treat - Doc’s first Chilli Beer review! And it’s Rogue Chipotle Ale! And I need one more thing to exclaim to make it 3 in a row - BEER! Beer indeed, that nectar of Ninkasi, that provider of awesome feelings (i.e. tipsy-drunk) and lubricant of society, we hail you - Ave! *awkward pause* So yeah, this isn’t actually the first Chilli Beer I’ve had (I’ve had maybe 3-4 of this style before) and I do have a pretty high tolerance for chillies - had a ghost chilli in my curry the other week - so I might enjoy this muchly [not really a word], oh yes. Side note: Today we’ll also find out if Doc can complete an entire Chilli Beer review without saying “¡Ay, caramba!”.

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Presents an alluring cloudy deep amber body with a tight 1 cm khaki head that slowly dies down to a light lace covering... tasty as bro! 9/10.

S: Upfront a hickory smoked chilli is complemented by touches of sweet caramel and a hint of milk chocolate - very nice but the smokiness overpowers the other characters, as smoke has a tendency to do, otherwise this is quite an appetizing aroma. 8/10.

T: First off: Chipotle = yum! Rogue has crafted an intriguing and complex Chilli Beer here that only hints at the heat of a real jalapeño, with notes of; Hickory smoke, jalapeño, caramel, pepper and earthy hops. Finish is slightly bitter and the hops almost go unnoticed in the melee of flavour types (sweet/spice/umami/bitter). There is an odd effect of the mouth drying out in the aftertaste... not sure what that is but it doesn’t detract any points for me. 8/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with a light but dense carbonation, alright. 7/10.

D: OK for me being a bit of a fresh-chilli-in-my-Vindaloo* fanatic the spiciness of this brew is definitely lacking - I mean your customer base for this beer are people who can handle a bit of spice so really Rogue could have amped up the chilli a bit more. Other than that it’s simply another decent Rogue beer - goes down well. I like it. Sure as hell beats their Voodoo Doughnut Pretzel, Raspberry & Chocolate Ale which was surprisingly boring. Oh yeah, ¡Ay, caramba! [Dammit Doc!] 7/10.

Food match: It’s in the beers name - black bean and rice burrito with chipotle sauce.

*Yes, I am insane.

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tasty stuff! The pour is good - orange colour,two fingers of foamy head, a bit murky. There is a definite smoky chipotle nose - just enough to let you know what you are getting into. The flavour is very pleasant, a solid caramel malt base with just enough smoke and pepper heat. It is far from overpowering and in my books, very well done. I don't drink many beers like this, but I could certainly acquire a taste for them!

3.23/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - 3.5/5
Deep orange-brown, about one finger of light tan head. Quite clear. Carbonation is sparse.

Smell - 3.5/5
Sweet dark sugary malts, hints of chile peppers. A little alcohol aroma as well. The smell is kind of strange I think.

Taste - 3/5
Sip starts with a slightly watery, slightly sweet light malt flavor, transitions into a very earthy, slightly spicy (chile peppers) flavor. The end of the sip has some light alcohol flavor. I don't really like the earthiness of this beer. It makes the beer taste kinda like dirt. Or at least it brings to mind mental images of soil. The taste is not terrible, but this beer is not that great, and perhaps a little strange.

Mouthfeel - 3.25/5
Medium bodied. Carbonation is light. In between crisp and creamy. Overall fairly smooth.

Overall - 3.25/5
This beer was mediochre at best. It was way too earthy and was fairly flavorless, aside from a little bit of chile pepper spiciness. Definitely would not recommend this beer.

3.22/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Format: tall brown 650mL bottle, transluscent craft beer label.

Appearance: a deep orange -copper in colour with a light tan head that drops to a thick cap. Looks decent.

Aroma: definite chipotle chilli, some smoke and heavy malts. Decent.

Taste: again the chipotle chilli with those heavy malts. Really nothing special, but an okay chilli beer.

Aftertaste: a touch of chilli still and a bit dry on the finish.

Mouth feel: medium in body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Fairly crisp.

Overall: yet again a pretty standard beer from Rogue for AU$14 for a 650mL bottle. Not worth that price, and an average chilli beer. I haven't had a great Rogue beer yet.

2.29/5  rDev -36.2%

After having a fresh chili pepper porter from 3rd Wave and falling in love, maybe I'm biased. This beer did not live up to the hype for me. Lacking pepper flavor all together.

4.3/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Great smoke and flavor from the chipotle, but very little heat which gives a great balance. Pairs well with chili or most spicy dishes. Also great to cook with.

one of the few beers I have ever poured out, it was flat, oily, and tasted like liquid paprika, I was extremely disappointed and shocked. Considering the brewery it comes from and the esteem they accrue, I cannot understand how they allowed this to get onto shelves, I honestly don't think I have purchased another rogue beer since.

this beer is vile and tastes like an ashtray in a Mexican restaurant

3.37/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Picked this up at Top Hops in New York recently, having never had this before. I liked the idea of this but as others alluded to on here, this turned out to be a lot less spicy than I thought as this beer reminded me of a smoked offering more than anything else. If I had some sausage or similar meat to pair this with, it could have been great to along with that. Instead, this was a letdown and something that was filling and relatively easygoing, more than anything else.

Dark pour to this with a moderate head and a fair amount of carbonation. I was expecting this to be more potent in the nose and the taste but that wasn't the case here as the smoke and meat notes nearly overtook everything else. The chili felt like a weak jalapeno and not the kind that would make me reach for a glass of water. Mouthfeel was fairly thick but not cloying and the aftertaste had a hint of chocolate-chili to lend a heavy feel to the back of this beer.

Yeah, this was light on alcohol but that's not what you're going to notice about this beer should you be fortunate enough to finish this off. My friend couldn't do that with his allotment so I ended up drinking his share as well as what was left in the bottle. While not a drain pour, this is not a beer for most people and should only be tried to satisfy a curiosity. Probably something I wouldn't try again but nevertheless glad that I had once, and one of the few beers that cries out for a meal to go along with it. Clearly not one of Rogue's better offerings.

Poured from a bottle to a snifter.

Nice head, smells smokey.. Real smokey. Taste is what I expect. Smokey smokey. Not much heat maybe a little on the finish, it was a good tasting beer but I was looking for some heat not so much smoke flavor. Might buy again and pair it with food.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Rogue takes a lotta knocks on the site, but this was a malty, slightly sweet ale with some chew and a nice chipotle/mesquite heat to it. I liked it but would've preferred a higher abv.

3.36/5  rDev -6.4%

I really enjoyed this beer although I will admit I was hoping for more heat. Poured into a pint glass I immediately noticed the smoked profile of the peppers. This also played alot into the silky mouthfeel as the beer warmed. This is my first review so please bear with me. Cheers.

4.19/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I'm trying to figure out if this version of the beer has changed much, if at all, from prior years because it was a lot better than I remember. The appearance of the poor was a dark amber hue with a light head. The smell was smokey with a little bit of pepper mixed in with the hops and malt smells. The taste and mouthfeel are what I love the most about the beer. The taste is deeply smokey with just a little bit of spice on the back of the throat. It makes the beer an easy pairing with Spanish and Indian food. The mouthfeel as well coats your cheeks so that there's a light tingle from the spice. Overall was very nice and for the price I found it at (7.99) not a bad buy.

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

22 ounce bottle into signature pint glass, no bottle dating. Pours lightly hazy orange copper color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of caramel, toast, bread, chipotle pepper, light smoke, light citrus, floral, grass, and herbal/toasted earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of malt, hop, and chipotle pepper notes; with solid strength. Taste of caramel, toast, biscuit, chipotle pepper, light smoke, herbal, floral, grass, light citrus, and herbal/toasted earthiness. Slight herbal bitterness/pepper spice on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, toast, biscuit, chipotle pepper, light smoke, herbal, floral, grass, and toasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and robustness of malt, pepper, and light hop flavors; with minimal pepper heat and no cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth and crisp mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice chile beer! All around good balance and robustness of malt, pepper, and light hop flavors; and very smooth to drink with the minimal heat from the peppers. A very enjoyable offering.

3.57/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber to nonic pint glass.

A: Amber in color, thin head, slight lacing.

S: Jalapeno, Honey, some Hops.

T: Slight hop bitterness, good warm chipotle finish that lingers for a bit.

M: Light carbonation.

O: Decent pepper beer, certainly drinkable. not overly spicy.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer is a hazy honey color. A foamy tan head recedes to a film with random thicker spots. Lacing is thin and looks like a world map.
The aroma is malty with a bit of mustiness clinging to it before it gets interesting. Roasted peppers follow up the malts. The taste is a little more complex than the straight-forward aroma. Said malts come first, then hops come out to join the party. That musty note in the aroma also presents itself, as chipotle peppers heat up the finish, leaving a nice warmth going down the hatch. Mouthfeel is relatively dry and medium in weight.

Overall, I've only had a few pepper beers, and this one is by far the best so far.

4.16/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- Pint glass poured with a slightly hazy amber colored ale and a cream colored head, very pleased.

S- The spices are noticeable, but the chipotle pepper aroma is vaguely there and not overpowering. Smells more on the smokey side.

T- The taste is quite unexpected in a beer, but goes hand in hand with the name of the beer, you definitely get a kick, but definitely not overpowering.

M- On the light-medium side, carbonated well.

O- I found myself looking at this beer in the store thinking, Rouge doesn't let down, so I decided to go for it. Man I was in for a surprise, it was not what I expected, but I fell in love sip after sip, but definitely not a beer to have in high quantities. Great Beer!

3.51/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass, orange amber with a short yellow white head that disspiates leaving some lacing, cloudy

S: heartburn, the smoked jalapeno is noticeable, some sweet malt

T: smoke comes out first, sweet malt flavor follows, finish bitters slightly, the chile flavor is not overpowering

M: medium with lower carbonation

O: not an offensive chile beer, not a style I love but drinkable none the same, best shared with a friend

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Agreed that it's not the chile beer with the most heat; that's because it tastes like actual chipotle peppers. Smooth and mildly hoppy nose, moderate carbonation, with warming chipotle finish. I would argue that the spicier beers are more of a novelty, whereas this one is more genuinely tasty and drinkable. If you like that kind of thing, of course, it's not for everyone.

3.69/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

tap

Pours a orange amber color with a bit of lacing.

Scent of caramel and bready malts with a hint of spice and honey.

Mild brown-ale type flavor, caramel and biscuits, with a noted spice bite to it.

Light tingle of carbonation.

Pretty decent spiced ale, actually better than I expected, pretty good flavor and worth trying.

3.41/5  rDev -5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy orange-brown with a foamy beige head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of smoked malt, band-aid, chipotle pepper, and slight fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with smoke, chipotle, and fruity flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of smoke bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a smoke and chipotle presence that comes across better in the flavor, but it lacks any sort of heat for a chile beer.

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

Wife picked this up for lil ol me. I'll say I passed it many a times. My error.

Pint glass pour and I am met with a slightly hazy amber colored ale and a decent sized cream colored head. Touch of lacing. Light head stays throughout the session.

The aroma is on the malty almost musky side. Spices are present, meaty, light jalapeno shines through and I like it :o) Yeast. Smoke and leather.

The taste is excellent for the style. Just a touch of heat that lingers...the entire sip and well after. Dulled jalapeno flavor, meat, orange, white pepper and a decent kick of hops to go along with the spice. This beer takes me right to that edge between enough and too much.

Not overly carbonated as the hops and flavor work in unison here.

Overall I really dug this. A bomber is probably enough for the palate, but the overall session was very enjoyable. The right amount of peppers is key and the Rogue crew nailed it here. I'm still getting a little heat and numbing of the gums as I write. Definitely one of my favorite Rogue beers and one I will be hitting up again.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales