Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Cody66

coffeecubb

05-15-2012 18:35:25 | More by coffeecubb
Brewmeist

1.05/5  rDev -70.6%

Probably, by far one of the most terrible beers i've ever had if not the worst. Tastes like a cruel joke involving someone literally pouring chipotle sauce in beer and calling it a style. Made me want to vomit, and gave me immediate indigestion with only two gulps.

This is by no means a bash to rogue brewing, because they put out some stuff i truly enjoy (i.e. santas private reserve, dead guy, and xs) Would refrain from ever wasting your money on this. The bottle is cool, but the beer is an atrocity.

12-03-2010 21:52:55 | More by Brewmeist
CHickman

1.15/5  rDev -67.8%

I love Rogue beers and I really like spicy food, but felt that this beer was just awful. It was too hot and actually tasted like Chipotle, or like it had to be spiced with jalapeno. I had it on tap and had to force myself to drink this beer like I was back in rugby hazing. I'd rather have a tequila shot, and I hate tequila.

02-28-2009 20:56:15 | More by CHickman
TrevorGW

1.3/5  rDev -63.6%

I love chipotle spices and I love ale. But this beer did not hit my tongue in a favorable way and I had to pour most of it out. The smoky spices were overwhelming and no malt or hop flavor or aroma could break through. Very disappointing, since I am a fan of Rogue's other products.

The taste of the beer just didn't do it for me at all. It wasn't too spicy, it just tasted funky. Might have been a bad bottle, but I never want to smell this beer again!

The beer did look nice and red in the glass, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was food coloring.

08-01-2008 17:26:29 | More by TrevorGW
YakManDoo

1.3/5  rDev -63.6%

This is the first Rogue I have ever hated. The beer poured a very average reddish-orange with a head to match - lightly colored. The nose however was very disenchanting with a smoky yet unappetizing overripe fruitiness. The taste was spicy and downright wretched like an infected batch of homebrew...sour, spicy and smoky.

I don't understand how this one left the brewery. Maybe it's the ultimate in acquired taste, but I poured half of the bomber down the sink...such a pity.

08-16-2006 00:48:37 | More by YakManDoo
Mora2000

1.35/5  rDev -62.2%

I don't know if the bottle was bad, or if I just hated the beer, but this one went straight down the drain after just a few sips. The beer poured a reddish color and smelled like chipotles. It also tasted quite a bit like them. Now I really like chipotle peppers, but something with this beer didn't agree with me. The person I was splitting the bomber with finished his glass, something I couldn't do. I have liked everything else from Rogue so I was expecting to like this one. But it just wasn't drinkable. I guess it is an acquired taste.

04-24-2008 04:04:24 | More by Mora2000
Overlord

1.45/5  rDev -59.4%

I had this beer quite a while ago, and forgot to review it. However, I can assure you that the experience remains fresh in my mind.

Pours a light orangeish hue with an off white head that dissipated somewhat quickly. Good robust mouthfeel (the best part of the beer).

Smells of smokiness and wheat/grass. The smell put me off almost immediately. The taste is ... not good. I wasn't expecting a chipotle flavored beer to taste like it was mixed with liquid pipe tobacco. There's really no malt here, and no real hops either. Just smokiness, wheat/grass, spiciness (it is bold and up front), and more smokiness.

In the last six months, I haven't finished a beer I sampled to review on maybe three occasions. The Sam Adams Triple Bock (twice -- just to make sure the first bottle didn't go bad), and now this.

Ugh.

12-26-2011 03:29:56 | More by bigdaddyvoodoo
Erdinger2003

Iowa

1.53/5  rDev -57.1%

Pours a nice fizzy head that's white. The color is almost an orange-like brown. The head doesn't retain too well and and doesn't leave a full lacing behind. The smell is spicy, but smells a bit like tobacco at the same time. The taste is tobacco like as well and has the same spiciness as the smell. The spice is unmistakeable. It's about like taking a drink of watered down tobacco spit. It leaves me a little nausious. The mouthfeel was a little fizzy. Overall I will never try this style again, it makes me want to throw up.

03-30-2007 08:58:33 | More by Erdinger2003
sever

Arizona

1.58/5  rDev -55.7%

I saw this bottle and I thought " Oh man that must be awful!", but since I shop for beer at a discount store, it would be stupid not to try it when a 22oz bottle is only $2.29. Right?

No. Not right. Becuase this beer is gross. I thought about it, but It seems like no matter what mood your in, or what you're eating, this beer would always be weird. And gross. I really tried to like it. I poured it in a glass. If you're not paying attention the front end you get is okay. But then that aftertaste kicks in, and just keeps on trucking.

It really feels like a good beer under all of it. The ingredients they list on the label are high end, and I feel like if this beer wasn't trying so hard to be different it would be good. It's sort of full-bodied, and it has this cool toastiness like some of the best red ales have. It smells good, courtesy of the hops. On the first tip, I really appreciated the body and spice of the beer. It's winter, I'm cold. It had a fall warming ale sort of thing going. But after that first wash over your tounge it begins to go downhill. The hops and body and flavor drain away. At the last tail end of the aftertaste, after all the fresh beer flavor is gone, you're left with only weird smoky flavor. No fresh hoppy goodness for it to float around in. It's strange. I like chipotle flavor and eat lots of food with it, and I like lots of really weird unconventional beers( Bongwater, Scuttlebutt, Tutti Frutti, tons.) So this beer should be a shoe-in, but nope.
This beer is unique and you might even enjoy it if it caught you in the right mood, but you'll never drink much of it.

You might end up doing what I did: pour half down the drain. Seriously. After 1 glass I couldn't stand it. If you're smart: You'll avoid opening it in the first place. Look here, and see that some people even like this stuff and are willing to trade for it. Go figure.
Different strokes for different folks eh? Apparently some people like smoky, weird beer that doesn't make any sense.
I wished I'd traded mine. for anything. whoops!

The bottom line:
The only reason you should drink this is if you hate beer and you only want the alcohol.

12-13-2007 07:24:52 | More by sever