1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chipotle AleChipotle Ale

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,189 | Reviews: 681 | Show All Ratings:
starvinbarley

3.08/5  rDev -13.7%

Appearance out of the pour was a dark amber. Aroma held malt and smokey spice. Taste was typical ale with distinct smokey pepper. Unique beer but the smokey chipotle flavor paired with a typical ale turned out distinct yet not tastey. Praise Rogue for originality.

04-23-2009 03:30:46 | More by starvinbarley
bryehn

Ontario (Canada)

3.08/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a nice amber colour with a soapy tan head that collars and leaves a small amount of lace at the top of the glass.

Whoa! I don't like this smell. It's like a weird, extremely astringent gasoline or magic marker smell with a chemically smoke overtone. It literally made me gag. I think I expected something softer and more peppery in tone.

The taste is sweet yet smoky after an oddly crisp start. Surprisingly malty and definitely better after it warms.

Mouth is light-medium bodied with a low carbonation. Gets malty and spicy on the back end.

I frankly didn't know that Chille Beer was a style (thought it'd be under herbed/spiced) and have never had one before so I'll give it a pass. But, the smell is just too much for me to consider drinking more than the two I bought already.

06-14-2011 21:03:32 | More by bryehn
jrenihan

Ontario (Canada)

3.08/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a semi-light amber, with two finger-widths of off-white head. Head is frothy, and begins to fade away quickly.

Chipotle is noticeable on the nose. A bit of sweet malt as well. It is a pretty faint smell. Not a lot going on for me. Perhaps a hint of hops.

Taste is mild. I can get a hint of chipotle, but not much. I get only the most mild hint of heat in the finish and aftertaste. Barely noticeable. Beer is otherwise pretty malt focused, but a little bit bland. There is nothing bad about it, but it is by no means exciting or particularly flavourful.

Beer is medium to light bodied, with pretty low carbonation.

Overall, pretty average. Fine but not exciting. Since the beer is assumedly meant to be focused on the chipotle, I was surprised how mild it is.

07-16-2011 00:25:01 | More by jrenihan
Mandrake

Nova Scotia (Canada)

3.1/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours a cloudy brown with a distinctly orange hue and a thick light tan head that lasts reasonably well and leaves a little lacing. Aroma is smoky, with a dark fruitiness and just a hint of hot peppers. Taste is once again dominated by a smoky note, which I've never been fond of. It's probably because, being from an Atlantic province, it's a smell and taste indelibly associated with fish for me. At any rate, other flavours include breads and plum, and the finish is dominated by the heat of the peppers, which try valiantly to save this beer for me, but ultimately come up short. Not bad in it's way, but not up my alley at all.

06-21-2006 00:14:36 | More by Mandrake
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.1/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this for a buck, what the heck?

Pours amber with a 1 finger deep sand colored head. No head retention or lacing

S: Smokey with sweet malt notes

T: Smokey malt & slight spiceyness up front along with a diatechyl sweetness. A little caramel & cinamon sneaks in as well. Finishes smokey & too sweet. I liked the restrained smokiness & heat, but the sweetness detracts

MF: Medium bodied with all right carbonation.

Dranks okay, I could having a couple with a burger, bbq or chilli. Not a huge fan of the stlye, but is better than most others I've tried

12-20-2006 03:44:24 | More by russpowell
Newmerator

3.1/5  rDev -13.2%

Had this at their location in San Francisco.

Looks great, smells just like Chipotle. So they nailed that on the head. I personally think it's a good beer and they really got what they were going for.

Way too spicy for my liking ,and I could barely finish the sampler me and my buddies got.

worth trying. i don't see this beer coming around again though.

Serving type: nitro-tap

04-16-2009 03:43:16 | More by Newmerator
juju7

Australia

3.1/5  rDev -13.2%

An interesting beer for sure. It looks good with a bright copper body topped with a rocky, soft head. The nose is somewhat promising with a bit of honey, sweet caramel and light hotness hinting at the peppers. However on the palate it tastes a lttle bit like a prank beer. The kind of vibe where you think this probably would have been pretty good if it didn't have the chilli. Especially by the end of a 650ml bottle I was well over it. It's a well made beer with decent balance, weight carbonation and bitterness some cool smokiness and I guess it's appropriate to the "style" of chilli beer, but I don't really care if I never drink it again.

10-14-2009 11:20:31 | More by juju7
karst

Missouri

3.13/5  rDev -12.3%

Bomber from Luca's Liquors in Ellisville, Mo. Pours amber light tan head. Aromas of toasted malts and faint smokiness. Smoked Chipolte flavors come across as phenolic (band-aids) Hop bitterness only slightly noticed at finish. Medium body with thinish mouthfeel.

I recently had an Amber Chilli Ale from Flatbranch BrewPub in Columbia, Mo that was much more cohesive in its tastes.

About half way through this beer I got some relief as warming peppers finally overwhelmed the impression that I was drinking beer out of a box of Band-Aids. Not what I expected from Rogue a lot more drinkabe than Cave Creek's but the flavors don't meld and like Crazy Ed's it seems to only be a novelty brew.

07-23-2005 14:06:42 | More by karst
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

3.13/5  rDev -12.3%

I bought one of these in anticipation of cinco de mayo. The style and holiday were too much to pass up! I don't often buy fruit beers and I like spicy food so I was open to the experience.

A- golden brown color, medium carbonation and a nice white head.

S - Smokey and spicy, with a hint of malt in the background.

T - Starts off light on the chipolte at first. More of a medium ale than anything else. By mid glass the smoked peppers take over in full. Primarily smoke with a spicy tinge. I didn't find it to be spicy hot, rather smokey / spicy dominating.

M / D - This is a medium bodied beer that looks great. I found that although I like spicy foods and chipolte in food and sauces, this one was a bit too far down the smoked pepper trail for me. I didn't quite make it through half the bottle. I think it's worth an experience just to taste the blend of smoke and pepper but for me a 12oz bottle would be plenty at a sitting.

05-08-2006 12:40:38 | More by barleywinebrewer
seh410

3.13/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance: Fizzy off white/ivory head - it's super bubbly; the head looks like it is composed of rows of bubbles on top of each other. The actual beer is a amber cloudy color that reflects the light. It's pretty standard looking, minus the great head that lingers if you give it a hard enough pour

Aroma: Smells like an amber ale, lots of malt up front. There is some spice and sweetness in the background, along with some sourness. I smell pickled watermelon, chipotle ice cream and some smokiness. Smells yummy.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Wow, there is some spice. After you swallow, there is a definite burning in the throat that is very interesting. I've never experienced this in beer. It's a slow burn that becomes more evident over time. There is also some sweetness - hints of roasted bell peppers maybe? The spice definitely dominates though and the mouth feel is very thin. This is good but weird.

Notes: I was expecting more. This is super spicy, so much so that it is making my acid reflux act up. I would like it more if the spiciness could be minimized a bit, but I guess that's why it is called Chipotle Ale. Split a bomber and not looking for any more. Ever actually. This was nice thing to sample, but I'm not gonna go back for more.

06-15-2010 22:26:55 | More by seh410
Vancer

3.15/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Mahogany pour with fast dying tan head – no bottled date on screen label.

Rich, malty aroma, with notes of the ol’ spicy peppers. Rustic tasting woody and smoky chili peppers stand out in this one – but they are not overpowering, fortunately

A very thin and quiet brew, the peppers are the whole story here. It’s just not a brew to savor, it’s more of a hurry up and finish it frosty. I think you really need to be working on some BBQ to fully enjoy it.

02-24-2006 02:27:05 | More by Vancer
montageman

3.15/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

I was given this bottle as a gift a while back. In the interim, I was able to sample this on draught at Slows BBQ in Detroit (for only $2!). On draught, I thought this was a nice, smoky beer with a bit of heat that complimented the BBQ well. Maybe I waited too long to crack this bottle open, but I'm not getting much of the heat component here. Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad thing, but what I'm tasting now is sweet and smoky rather than smoky and hot. The appearance of this beer is where it shines with its nice cloudy deep brown color and quickly dissipating head. The aroma is smoky, but could be more intense (again, could be a function of my waiting to open the bottle). Regardless, this is an interesting brew that is worth seeking out. It would work great in a chili recipe. Recommended.

12-22-2007 21:07:39 | More by montageman
MTNboy

Germany

3.15/5  rDev -11.8%

Appearance- A darker amber with a little bit of a red hue. It is a very head strong beer with about two fingers of head with some good lacing.

Smell- I smell hops and pepper right of the bat. There some definite citrus type tones that are blend with a minor floral touch.

Taste- Not as peppery as some pepper type beers I have had but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I don’t know how to really describe it but some of the other pepper beers I have tasted have had a fake overly spiced taste to them, where this ale does not. It has almost an IPA taste to it.

Mouthfeel- As I made my way through the froth it was some what creamy but as drank it became more a medium bodied beer.

Drinkability- I felt that it was decent beer but not one I would go for all the time but is a good change of pace.

01-14-2008 12:58:46 | More by MTNboy
cjohnson

South Carolina

3.15/5  rDev -11.8%

I know that this is going to have a low average score, but it's not that I didn't enjoy this beer; it's more that it's a really new experience for me so it just seemed like a very strange beer.

Pours a deep orange-rust color with a two-finger, mostly white, slightly orange, head that doesn't hang around for terribly long, but left a nice, thick lacing.

I didn't get a lot of smell out of this. There's a little bit of faint peppery smell, but that's about it.

So, taste... this is a very strange tasting beer. In my mouth there's not a lot going on; it doesn't taste bad, but there isn't the bold smack-in-the-face of chipotles I was expecting. However, it leaves a very distinct spicy warmness in the back of my throat that reminds me a lot of eating pepperjack cheese.

Mouthfeel is fine; not a lot to comment on.

As far as drinkability goes, this is a brew that I could probably have a couple of glasses of without issue, and might be really nice with pizza, but I imagine I'd get tired of it kind of before too long.

07-19-2008 23:06:59 | More by cjohnson
BeerTruth

Connecticut

3.15/5  rDev -11.8%

Picked this up at Beers of the World in the ROC.

22 oz. bomber poured into a nonic.

Pours a deep clear copper hue with a fluffy three finger off-white head that slowly falls to a thin layer of cream. A bit of webbing remains on the sides of the glass throughout the tasting. Smell is musty and spicey with a touch of caramel malt. Some smoked meats and earthy hops in the nose as well. Very subtle aroma which is nice. Taste begins lightly smokey with some dusty grains and pale malts. The pepper flavor doesn't really emerge until midway with a slight kick that lingers into the aftertaste. What pepper flavor is there though, isn't much. I was expecting more, and to be honest was hoping for more. A noticable citrus hop is detected here and there throughout which reminds me that this is still a beer. As you progress drinking this, it definitely gets warmer in the mouth. Light to medium body with a prickly feel to it. A unique beer for sure, one I'm glad I tried but don't plan to revisit anytime soon. Not bad, but not great. Give it a shot if you feel adventurous.

08-26-2008 23:49:45 | More by BeerTruth
marvin213

3.15/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It looks oddly caramel. Not that I expected a jalepeno-green from a chipotle beer, but it looks more like what I'd expect from a Tecate or something. The head is different--very small, almost interconnected bubbles a millimeter in depth with lasting power. As the beer sits, so does the head. Though I'm unsure what exactly I expected, it's not it; its appearance, however, has piqued my curiousity.

Oh, I can smell the pepper--dried jalepenos. It has an earthen smokiness as well. It's honestly unlike any beer I've ever smelled. In stark contrast to the look, it smells as it's supposed to smell. Interestingly, I smell basically no malts, no barley, no hops...nothing like that. If I weren't looking right at the beer, I think I'd tell you it was an open bag of dried jalepenos. Perhaps now the beverage has peaked my curiosity.

Wow, it's really smoky. I taste the earthen smokiness I alluded to more than I taste anything peppery. I know chipoltes are dried jalepenos, and I guess these have been dried by smoking. If I smoked cigarettes, I'd have one. I really can't distinguish smoked peppers from smoked wood chips. I think the peppers are distinctive in the smell, but they're missing from the taste. That's a little disappointing, particularly for a chile beer (as it's listed--I presume BA has a "smoked beers" category). Though I bought the beverage to go with Mexican food, I think it could just as easily accompany NC barbecue. It's a neat beer, but I wish there were more pepper to the taste. Spice is absent.

Maybe in the mouthfeel I get more of that for which I'm looking. As I allow the beverage to rest full in my mouth, I detect something of a pepper. It's certainly not spicy like eating jalepenos, but somewhere in between the chemical digestion in my mouth and the aftertaste swallow in my throat I detect the origin of its name. Still, I wish it were easier.

I realize it's a niche beer and it probably lacks favor with the masses, but I wish it brought even more chipolte. I want to taste it! It's a pleasant beer, a fairly easy-drinking one. Still (and here I go again), I wonder what I'd have if DFH did a chipolte ale. I can't help but think I'd taste the pepper in that one! Until then, I think this is a neat beverage worth trying, and I'd pick it up again to complement my comida de mexicana. O mi bbq!

05-19-2009 21:00:08 | More by marvin213
JohnnyChicago

3.15/5  rDev -11.8%

Split a 22oz bottle with my brother; poured in a tulip pint.

A: Pours a lifeless amber with barely any head. Head fades fast.

S: Some smoky spiciness, which is good. Other than that, a whole lot of nothing. There is some caramel and a spit of earthy hops.

T: Just a tad of spice. Everything else is pretty bland. This one isn't doing it for me.

D: Well, the alcohol isn't present, but nothing really pops in this beer. The mouthfeel is very weak, almost watery.

Overall: Cool idea, poor delivery. This is a weak, watery excuse for a craft beer. Would not buy again.

10-07-2011 16:04:15 | More by JohnnyChicago
Souleman

3.15/5  rDev -11.8%

I had heard people had been waiting for this brew to show up at the market, and so I grabbed a bottle before I thought it might be gone. Average price for a 22 and fits right into Rogue's library nicely. Don't think I've had anything similar by then.

Being a smokey fan, I was slightly pleased with the notes that came across at first, lingering long enough to let the rest of the brew come through. Would rather taste the initial smokey, peppery flavor that it starts out with than what follows.

A- one of the nicest things about this beer. Great head that sticks around for a while. Light amber color with a slight red hue, and very clear and clean.

S- Nothing really there. Slight hoppy aroma. I was expecting some smokey notes or something to give away what I was in for, but this beer is kinda empty on the nose.

T- slightly bitter running throughout with a and a good amount of smokey, peppery flavor notes. Wish there was a bit more of everything, so I'd have to say it fell a little flat in this category.
There is a nice caramel

M- kinda neutral and touched the bitter buds for a second and then went blank. It does coat the mouth nicely, so the flavor does seem a bit rounder, but still lacking that extra something that would put it in another league.

After chomping on the heavy-hitting Habanero Sculpin and the smooth, but smokey Stoic, this one just falls short of being an excellent beer. Definitely was worth tasting, but am gonna keep looking.

04-16-2012 14:11:37 | More by Souleman
ADR

3.18/5  rDev -10.9%

Clearish darker amber appearance, head settles to a skim in about 40 seconds. Laces in very fine strings on the side of the glass. Aroma is relatively subtle, smokey with a rustic rye bread maltiness, prickly and spicy. Medium mouthfeel overall, but with a mask of fullness. Pepper is certainly apparent in the flavor profile, and early -- generates heat by the third sip. Hops play in tune with the spiciness, there's an onion skin bittering in the aftertaste. Chile beers are one of the few that I rarely have a favorite in, but there is a better sense of sweet malt balance here than in many. I still have trouble finishing a whole bomber of this one, though. Intriguing aroma.

08-15-2004 21:27:58 | More by ADR
mntlover

Tennessee

3.18/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a clear dark amber with a small tan head that falls quick hints of lace left behind.

Aroma is caramel malt light citrus hops mingled with the chipotle peppers. More or less an average stock ale with a pepper thrown in.

Taste is the same lightly roasted malt light lingering pepper flavors mixed with some light hops. Again average tasting stock ale with a touch of pepper thats about it nothing exciting going on here.

Mouthfeel is about medium. Drinkability is average can understand wanting to try this I did but wouldn't want another. Next time they might try adding more peppers, worst Rouge I have had to date.

06-02-2005 19:02:51 | More by mntlover
Atch

Wisconsin

3.2/5  rDev -10.4%

22 oz poured into pint glass

Appearance:Nice copper color, light carbonation, thin head that didn't stay long.

Smell: Malty and smoky. You can definitely smell chipotle.

Taste: To me it has that smoked stout flavor. Like with a Beamish. The chipotle flavor may be a bit strong. It's not spicy.

Mouthfeel: It feels light and a little undercarbonated.

Drinkability: I think it's a good beer. This is my first chili beer. It's very easy to drink, and an interesting combination. Try one.

08-21-2007 22:49:01 | More by Atch
laituegonflable

Australia

3.2/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours a pale orange with yellow tinge, no real head. Slight haze but mostly clear. Leaves a line of lace where head was, but nothing more. Fairly flat and dull.

Wow, smells like a brew day. Lots and lots of malt. Virtually nothing else, maybe a slight acrid character, light capsicum aroma. But really that heavy, dominant malt. I don't mind it but it's not fantastic.

Taste is quite savoury, for sure. Has a quite sweet sensation at the front, with elements of glazed fruit and pale malt, then gets quite salty and smokey afterwards, almost meaty as well, and with aspects of steamed greens and a peppery sort of flavour without much spice. Bit of a funky flavour, and then a very mild chilli bite right at the end. But it's funky more than spicy. Not bad, but not sensational.

Mouthfeel is fairly thin, a bit of viscosity which is good, but nothing to sink your teeth into in this brew.

I kind of wanted Rogue to blow the chile beer out of the water with this, but it just seems kind of savoury without being particularly pungent, spicy or full of character. Ultimately seems a bit tame, and a sort of muddle between chilli and smoked beer flavours. Not undrinkable but a bit blah.

10-20-2009 04:39:26 | More by laituegonflable
WVbeergeek

3.23/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance: Amber golden hue with a cream colored thin head leaves some ringed lacing behind. Aroma: Touch of hops, toasted malts nice profile finishes with a kiss of Chipotle smokiness. Taste: Mild dose of hop bitterness with unique dry flavor of smoked Chipotles going on with the malt profile seeming a bit stale to me. Mouthfeel: A bit thin lighter bodied ale lacks any notable textures. Drinkability: There's not enough cohesion in the flavors here unique but it just doesn't work for me, a bit of a novelty brew in my eyes.

03-23-2004 02:43:38 | More by WVbeergeek
maxpower

Missouri

3.23/5  rDev -9.5%

22 oz bottle pours a cloudy bright amber color with a small creamy off white head that leaves some lacing in my glass. Smoke aroma, hot peppers followed by smoke and wood flavors, I can feel the heat after the first sip. Medium bodied with a creamy smooth mouthfeel, has a lasting spicy pepper finish.

08-23-2005 00:59:24 | More by maxpower
Naerhu

Japan

3.23/5  rDev -9.5%

A - Nice amber-brown body, but tiny malnurished head.
S - Malty nose with a slight rauchbier background
M - Malty with relatively light bitterness, a little too sweet, but with hints of smokyness midpalate and finishing with a slight hot pepperyness.
M - I found this beer to be rather heavy and not as vibrant as I would have hoped.
D - I appreciated the smoke and pepper where nicely integrated with the rest of the beer, unlike so many rauch beers and pepper beers. That being said, it was only an average beer.

01-15-2006 13:29:16 | More by Naerhu