Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
brdc

Wisconsin

4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

Large capped bottle, poured into a pint.

Amber in color, nice white head, average retention, lots of lacing.
Interesting and powerful aroma; lots of malts in here, caramel, roasted tones, and profound spiciness; peppers, of course.
It tastes something like a heavier malted amber ale, with a lot of spiciness, and some spicy heat to make it interesting, without being over the board as I was afraid. All in all, quite tasty, and not offensive. I am glad I tried.

09-27-2008 23:51:07 | More by brdc
Tupperwolf

Washington

4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a slightly hazed dark amber / light golden red with a thin tan head - I had to force a bit of carbonation into a lazy covering, but it left behind a nice series of lacing rings that faded slowly away.

Very sweet honeyish malts and a bit of spice that I want to attribute to hops, but should probably give to the peppers - it's got a bit more heat than the usual pine of hops.

Smooth, gentle and pretty unassuming on the malt flavor - a medium, wheat bread kind of taste, followed up with a few swirls of hop oil, followed immediately by a delicious blooming, blossoming, swelling taste of peppers - it's not hot, and it's not overpowering at all, but the taste is rounded and compliments the beer well - it really tastes like I'm washing down a taco with a swig of beer. Don't be afraid - the pepper taste is delicious and doesn't linger at all - it makes its presence known and curteously steps aside.

A proper amount of carbonation distributes what little pepper and alcohol heat there is; It's a light ale, and the finish is extremely clean, which surprised me - I expected pepper taste to hang around in the mouth, but once you swallow, you're left with only a few seconds' revisitation of the malts, then nothing. If anything, I wish this were a bit heartier and more full.

I'm actually really glad I tried this one - I admittedly just wanted it for the bottle. I think Rogue managed to do a pepper beer the right way.

01-29-2006 19:01:16 | More by Tupperwolf
dansmcd

Australia

4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

A - Beautiful big soapy bone coloured head capping a deep dark golden amber. Sticky chunks of lace to the end.

S - Smoke and wood. More than a little bit like a rauchbier.

T - There's the peppers. Some meat also, chorizo. Wood fired pepperoni pizza with plenty of chilli.

M - Moderate to full bodied. Moderate carbonation. Bitter finish.

O - Very different and quite complex. Love the flavours and the whole experience really.

11-06-2011 08:25:36 | More by dansmcd
csmiley

4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

The brew appeared a copper - red color with minimal head.

The smell was sweet at first with a spice note on the end.

Taste was a little more complex. There was an immediate malt flavor followed by a smokey aftertaste. Following the smoke came a mild chile-like heat.

This was a malty beer that with good carbonation. Wasn't overpowering with the various flavors.

The smokey flavor was a little intense at times but for a chili beer I was very impressed. I would consider trying it again.

07-20-2007 19:40:24 | More by csmiley
BeerNinja007

New Hampshire

4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

Picked up this 12oz single for $2.59 at Barb's Beer Emporium in Concord NH. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

Cloudy reddish gold brew gives a thick tan head that leaves a thick carpet of lace on the glass. The nose is really interesting- fairly typical thick semi-sweet bready malts, but then an unmistakable spicy red pepper bite. The taste is very much the same though adds a bit of smokiness, presumably also from the chipotle. Mouthfeel is moderately thick with appropriate carbonation. The spice is felt mildly starting with the first sip but really develops and lingers long into the finish, a pleasant warming burn. Very interesting, not something I'd drink regularly, but I'm glad I tried it and would have it again on occasion.

08-01-2010 22:26:43 | More by BeerNinja007
DrewShal9

4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

A: amber-red with very small white lacing head
S: upfront smokiness and slightly peppery
T: a slight tingle/burn with a huge flavor of smoke and a tidbit of fruity hops. Almost citrus to counteract the burn. I like it!
M: moderately bodied with a lightly carbonated flush in the tip of the tongue.
O: I like this and as mentioned before I agree that this would pair extremely well with barbecued meats, even smoked spicy meat. Definitely would like honey and spicy bbq ribs slow cooked under cedar chips. My mouth is now drooling lol. Definitely a great experience as my first chili/hot pepper beer. Keep up the great work Rogue!

08-02-2011 02:42:22 | More by DrewShal9
mochunk

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I may have chilled it a bit too much since as usual, I procrastinated on it's purchase and quickly tossed it in the freezer. But I'm hungry as hell and I told myself I'd taste the first glass or so before actually pairing the food to get both impressions.

A not so gentle pour lends to a rich brown ale with a nice but quickly dissapating off white head, laces nicely. Smells of lightly toasted malts. Chocolate and coffee undertones with a slight possibly citrus hop.

A mouthful of medium bodied brew delights the tongue with roasted malts. Definite Chocolate, maybe carameled coffee. I'd say I can't really pick up any spice in it, perhaps it's too cold. I'm really trying to taste something else in there, I suppose it might be the smoked jalepenos it specifies, very coyly. It has a familiar Rogue slightly bitter hop to it, but they are not overpowering and quite subtle. This is quite well balanced, only the smoked flavor dominates, a bit of alcohol warming, but that could just be my extremely empty stomach. Ahh! The spice is starting to cut through, definitely biting on the tongue after a few minutes now, excellent.

This didn't pair very well with the Chile Con Queso I had, except the spices. It kept my mouth ablaze which I love, but the smoked flavor was dominating too much. might go better with a meat dish of some sort, but I would never know... Alone, it's a very interesting and tasty offering, unique and worth a try once in awhile, just not very drinkable in quantities.

05-06-2006 02:45:47 | More by mochunk
neenerzig

4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

This is the first beer of this style that I have ever tried. I must say that I was pleased. Pours a orangish/light brownish/reddish like amber color. It initially has a nice white head about an inch thick that starts to shrink very quickly to almost nothing. Leaves some very decent lacing though. Has a sort of smoked aroma with malt, some caramel, and spices definetly strongly present, hence the chipotle. Tastewise there is some bread and caramel present along malt and most of all spice. this is probabley the most spicy beer I have ever had. The spices have a burning effect on the palate, like one would imagine having in thier mouth after doing shots of whiskey or bourbon, not quite that strong, but still stronger than I have ever had in a beer before. Has a spicy, slightly burning aftertaste that lingers on the palate. Surprisingly (at least to me) I found the mouthfeel to be frothy and creamy with moderate carbonation. Fairly easy to drink. I am happy to say that this was one of the most unique beers I have ever had. Every beer lover should try this at least once, especially those who like spicy food (like myself).

Eric

09-23-2006 05:58:28 | More by neenerzig
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

First time I've ever tried a "Chile Beer," glad I get to try something from a company I'm fairly familiar with, here goes:

In a pint glass:

A: light amber colored body, really nice looking foamy lumpy white two finger head appears and lasts for a good three minutes before gently dieing into the body. Some carbonation is seen rising. Some spotty lacing is left.

S: wow, I can really smell the jalapeno peppers (honestly, I was a bit skeptical and thought it would be just another amber that displays undertones of peppers)

T: the same adding a very dry smokey aftertaste.

M: medium and sharp on the tongue, possibly because of the peppers that were added (just an assumption, but unfamiliar with the style so slightly unsure). I'm liking this "hot" feel rushing over my tongue after about five minutes of having a couple sips of this, interesting.

O: I've been wanting to try this for a very long time. I'm glad I was finally able to find one. I'm not sure if this is only a "Spring" beer anymore since only recently I saw a large amount added to Bow Street Market, Freeport, Maine. I guess its good for its style since it displays the normal smell and taste of "hot and spicy food" the mouthfeel I'm unsure of and am making an assumption on that part, but I think I would come back to this. I wonder how this would pair with chocolate cake at dessert?

12-20-2012 21:31:49 | More by BeerKangaroo
yen157

4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

Glowing amber orange with a creamy orange-tinged head with good lacing. I can’t believe the difference in color between this and the Golden is only the chipotles! It’s way to rich in color! Sweet malt with lots of smokiness. Close to a rauchbier in character with “something else” going on. Clean tasting beer, good malt presence, definite chipotle flavor. There is no mistaking this for a rauchbier. Slight spicy tingle builds after a few sips. Smokey aftertaste with lingering bitterness. Tasty brew. I wouldn’t go they *obvious* approach and pair this with a spicy dish, but this would be a nice compliment to simply prepared chicken or an assortment of mild cheeses.

04-18-2005 20:30:26 | More by yen157
BeardedBoffin

New Mexico

4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

The beer pours an amber color with a decent head. The aroma has is a mixture of fruit and malt. A little smokiness joins the mix as well. Light to medium bodied on the palate.

The flavor has toasted malt, again with a touch of fruit. As it moves through the center a rich, smoky, pepper flavor rises. It finishes a little spicy, but not too much.

This is a unique brew. I enjoyed the the smoky, spicy finish. It provided a unique balance to the sweetish malt up front.

02-14-2010 21:10:51 | More by BeardedBoffin
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

Aye carumba, a spicy beer that works rather than burns and offends. This is a solid Rogue Ale with that great roasted chipotle taste on the finish. No, it doesn't scour your mouth out but rather it works with any spicy food or even better try it with food that is not spicy like a bowl of vegetable soup; it brings its own spice to the table. It is totally drinkable by itself( there is a smokiness to the finish like a lighter version of rogue smoke). Cool beer that is a benchmark for the style.

04-30-2008 00:07:53 | More by canucklehead
kaseydad

4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

Wife picked this up for lil ol me. I'll say I passed it many a times. My error.

Pint glass pour and I am met with a slightly hazy amber colored ale and a decent sized cream colored head. Touch of lacing. Light head stays throughout the session.

The aroma is on the malty almost musky side. Spices are present, meaty, light jalapeno shines through and I like it :o) Yeast. Smoke and leather.

The taste is excellent for the style. Just a touch of heat that lingers...the entire sip and well after. Dulled jalapeno flavor, meat, orange, white pepper and a decent kick of hops to go along with the spice. This beer takes me right to that edge between enough and too much.

Not overly carbonated as the hops and flavor work in unison here.

Overall I really dug this. A bomber is probably enough for the palate, but the overall session was very enjoyable. The right amount of peppers is key and the Rogue crew nailed it here. I'm still getting a little heat and numbing of the gums as I write. Definitely one of my favorite Rogue beers and one I will be hitting up again.

06-19-2013 00:58:52 | More by kaseydad
whynot44

Missouri

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy reddish mahogany color, with a short tan head that disappears quickly with only a trace of lace.

The aroma is malty with a hint of roasted, smoky peppers.

The taste is smoky over a decent malt base with a prominent vegetable tone (roasted peppers). The finish is mostly smoky roasted peppers with just a moderate pepper heat.

Smooth, fairly easy to drink with the heat almost like an afterthought that lingers on pleasantly. This should be a great accompniement to Tex-Mex or southwestern cuisine. The chipotle is mild enough to complement spicy food rather than compete with it. Definitely worth a try.

07-19-2005 04:11:03 | More by whynot44
hughesm4

4.08/5  rDev +14.3%

Drank out of a bomber poured into a glass.
A. Pours a very reddish brown with not much head.
S. It smells very smokey. Something that I was not expecting, but tasted very good.
T. A lot different than any other chile beer that I have had. It has a very smokey taste with a slight peppered aftertaste.
M. Once again you get a smoked taste in the mouth with a little bit of a bite from the pepper taste.
D. Very good for the style, but it would be difficult to drink more than a glass or two.

08-10-2009 01:16:58 | More by hughesm4
hwwty4

Missouri

4.08/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured a 22oz bottle into my Smokestack goblet. The beer pours a reddish copper with a big off white head that dissipates into just a thin layer, leaving sticky lacing all the way down the glass. The aroma starts out as the sweet spiciness that comes from a fresh green jalapeno. There is a subtle sweetness that balances the spiciness very well. The taste is mildly oily and leaves a nice spiciness on the lips and tongue. For someone that really enjoys spicy food, this beer is really good. The mouthfeel is a bit thick honestly. I wish it was a bit thinner. I think that it would balance the spiciness a bit better. While, I think this is a good beer, it would be hard to drink more than a bomber.

04-20-2008 02:49:53 | More by hwwty4
ely2000k

4.08/5  rDev +14.3%

Didn't really know what to expect from this beer. After trying it, I can say I definitely like the style and find it right up my alley. I do like spicy things overall, and having this makes me realize it can work fairly well in beer when done right. Appearance looks like a normal type of amber ale. Not to much head or lacing, looks nondescript. You can definitely smell some of the pepper, and it gives the beer a slightly smokey scent. The smell is interesting. I can't say it's necessarily appetizing, but definitely interesting. Taste wise is where this beer shines. As it warms, the pepper and spice becomes slightly more pronounced, and gives this beer a bit of a bite that I find to be really satisfying. The more you have of it, the better it is. It takes a little getting used to at first. Mouthfeel is a little on the watery side, but the same time the carbonation goes great with the spice, and the heat of it makes it feel quite full. Any fuller body would probably make this feel too heavy. Overall I quite liked this... not a beer I would drink everyday, but certainly good.

02-01-2012 06:43:55 | More by ely2000k
dmamiano

West Virginia

4.08/5  rDev +14.3%

poured a fairly deep copper with a nice head and lacing galore.
this beer was unique for sure. the nose was smokey, spicy but not from the hops. the jalapenos actually came through the smoked malt .
taste was again nice, different than any beer I had ever had. Initial hit of roasted malts, but smoked. Hints of peet and the telltale jalapeno spice. Slight in the taste, but you could feel the lingering burn on the back of the palate.
I really enjoyed this one.

03-21-2009 21:13:56 | More by dmamiano
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.08/5  rDev +14.3%

Thanks to Chris for sharing this with me. It pours a deep amber color with a finger of head that falls to coat the beer. The nose is slightly chile spicey, with a slight grainey sweet background. The chile is not all that strong, but it is well in the front of the brew. The flavor is not all that bad. There is a smokeyness that hits initially. The chile kicks in but not all that bed. No burning at all. Just nice roasted chile character. I would like to have this beer with some Mexican food. No real heat, just a slight spice in my stomach. I like it. The feel is moderate with a nice healthy carb. Overall, this is drinkable for a chile brew. The flavors are nicely balanced, the feel is good, the nose is nice. I think if you review this to style, it should be top dog. I take my hat off to Rogue for this brew. Very nice.

05-12-2005 01:47:34 | More by kmpitz2
feloniousmonk

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Rogue, of course, gives the best example of how to do a chili pepper beer right, if you have the balls to do it at all! First of all, it has to be an ale, something with sufficient flavor in itself to support the extra spicy chili taste, not one of those weak lagers with a pepper in the bottle (Crazy Ed, I'm talking to you!), and they use smoked chipotles, for an extra twist! Gotta love you, Rogue, and I rue the day I don't!
Appearance: a dull orangish color, topped with a huge, frothy white head.
Aroma: clean, but slightly spicy, with tiny hints of fruit, mellow, but still intriquing.
Taste is mellow at first, but before long the flavors unfurl, and then it hits...and kicks...subtly at first, then flowering, and revealing a definite peppery character
that soon dominates the palate with slow-arriving, but quickly conquering heat!
Still tasty and fruity, as any decent ale should be, with that peppery tinge at the back of the palate and lingering in the base of the throat.
Smokey peppery character really adds a unique dimension to this brew, and it deserves extra points for boldness and uniqueness alone!
Yummy, delicious, and Hot, HotHot!!! Now it's taking over my heade and creeping around other parts of the body, and it just gets hotter as we drink along...my damned head is flame, as the 22 0z. bottle is nearly emptied!
Hot, hot, hot and getting hotter, man, it's time to call the Bucket Brigade!
Big old thanks to BierRiese for helping me to reunite this once-tasted ale to my lips once more!

07-02-2003 00:18:29 | More by feloniousmonk
mynie

Indiana

4.08/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wonderful pour. Dark hazy amber, dark orange slipping to sunshine light orange, topped with a soapy, lacey head that sticks around for ages.

Smells of smokiness and lightly sweet malt. Strong, but not particularly complex. No big hints of meat and cheese like you get in a good smokebeer.

Tastes great, much more complex than the nose. Big salami and charcoal in the front, moving into a lightly sweet big malt middle and then the nodes of smokey yellow cheese kick up, moving into perfectly spicey but light pepper. Not at all hot, just peppery. Wonderfully blaalnced. Pepper burn lingers lightly.

04-12-2007 03:45:58 | More by mynie
Stubbie1

Connecticut

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a nice orange. A bit hazy with thousands of little bubbles of carbonation. A thick slightly off white head gave away (slowly) to a thick collar all the way down.

Aroma. Malt, pepper and spice move across the nose. (sniff) malt, hops and maybe a hint of smoke?

Taste: All malt at first then a small hint of hopes and the smoke pepper come in (ever so lightly) a sweet finish at the end. Great mouth feel and very drinkable . Another fine Rogue Beer.

02-28-2003 17:45:33 | More by Stubbie1
Kromes

Georgia

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

A: A clear copper olor with a finger's width off-white head and lacing down the glass.

S: One of the most fragrant chile beers I've smelled. There is a toasted malt aroma with a strong smoked chipotle pepper. Very nice.

T: Continued from the aroma....A toasted malt flavor with smoked peppers. There is also a nice herbal hop to cut through the sweet malt and peppers. The finish is the best part, a little smoke, a little hop and a decent hot spice burn on the tongue.

M: Light body with ligh carbonation. A little dry in the finish. As mentioned before, there is a burn from the chipotle.

O: Good chile beer. Definitely recommend picking up and pairing with food.

03-18-2012 23:17:40 | More by Kromes
PreacherBrewer

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

This beer is quite interesting. Pours deep golden color with a nice white head and great lacing. Smells of fresh fruit, light malt, and spiciness. Tastes of cooked fruit, slightly roasted malt, and roasted peppers. the spiciness isn't overbearing, but does increase the more you drink. leaves a nice warm feeling in your mouth and throat. quite an experience!

07-08-2010 14:24:03 | More by PreacherBrewer
dsa7783

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

650 ML copped for $5.99 from Oak Tree in South Plainfield... been waiting a long time to sample this one... the chipotle essence had long piqued my interest, so I decided to give this one a try... Pours an amber, copper hue with a minimal frothy head that soon dissipated... smell was very clear, crisp, and clean with a slight spice essence that included a delicate balance of malts, hops, and caramel... the chipotle flavor was not as noticeable as I had been anticipating... a slight spice taste is subtely noticeable, but not at all overwhelming or too strong... a slight resemblance to an amber ale keeps striking my mind as I'm writing this... When I heard "chipotle", I was expecting a strong spice flavor, but I didn't find that here... instead, I found a strong amber, red, taste... I wasn't dissapointed by the flavor at all... this is a classic Rogue brew with the distinct quality flavor and taste usually associated with the brewery... I really liked this one, and if you're a fan of Rogue brews, you are sure to like this one... easily drinkable with a nice mouthfeel... Definitely recommended...

02-11-2008 00:19:06 | More by dsa7783