Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros

a: pours cloudy dark copper with sturdy one-finger head.

s: earthy smoked pepper on top of sweet malt and a bit of hop spice.

t: sweet pale ale taste for a second until the chipotle kicks in, which warms slightly and brings a great smoky taste.

m: thick but smooth, the chipotle leaves an earthy film.

d: delicious well-balanced mix of spice and sweet, it can be a refreshing break during a night of strong beers.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured with some foamy off white head that dissipated to a thin layer leaving some lacing at the top of my glass. The beer is a pretty translucent orange gold.

Smell: Roasted malt, roasted spicy pepper, very small amount of caramel sweetness

Taste: Roasted malt, some hop bitterness, roasted pepper, small spicy pepper flavor, then finishes with a small sweet malt.

Mouthfeel: Starts with some carbonation, medium bodied, small tingle from the bit of hops, then turns to a spice tingle. Mouth gets hot for a moment then finishes smooth.

Overall: Very easy to drink, the spicy pepper aspect is pretty light so most people will enjoy this beer. Nice sweetness to balance the spiciness. I could easily have a couple of these, especially while eating some good mexican food.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

Growing numerous varieties of peppers this year, when I saw this on the shelf at my beer store I knew I had to have it.

A: Very nice golden amber color with 2 fingers worth of head that simmer down to a very nice veil of lace that sticks to the sides of the glass well and remains for most of the way down.

S: Excellent floral hops with alot of distinct earthy "garden" aromas. Reminds me of weeding in the garden and smelling all the various vegetable plants and soil smells. Also a deep malty sweetness. Very intriguing.

T: Wow. Such a surprise on the palette and senses. Sweetness of the malt at first that instantly gives way to an incredible smokey flavor from the chilis. Reminds me of bacon wrapped jalapenos without the heat. Makes way to some floral hoppyness and a medium bitterness. I can feel an ever slight amount of heat as well, its so strangely unique. After tastes consists of slight bitterness and a hint of grain/wheat.

M: Average carbonation works well with the hop level and the smokeyness. Leaves a crisp clean taste and moderate ABV isn't noticeable at all.

O: Crazy game that is played on the senses. Flavors that should be coming from food but instead are sipped and a mild heat make this a very unique beer. Not your usual beer style but def worth the price of the bottle and worth trying.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - reddish, coppery pour. Medium-bubbled soda pop head gets thin fast but holds at a thin cap. Not much lace but very active beading looks nice.

Aroma - some vague malty sweetness, mixing at first with some mild hop aroma, then things get interesting as some chipotle pepper comes through. Hmmm...

Taste - smoky and peppery. Not spicy hot, more like a smoked beer. Just enough chipotle flavor to make it distinctive. Some hop presence on the swallow and finish, but the pepper and smoke keep it from developing. Pretty good stuff!

Mouthfeel - zesty carbonation, just about medium body, nicely done to make this a good one with food or without.

Drinkability - there aren't many pepper beers to contend with, but this is my favorite one. Great grill-food beer.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

22oz bottle from Liquor Depot in Rock Springs, WY. $5.50.

A: Amber in color with a cream colored head about that's almost an inch thick. Excellent clarity, tons of bubbles coming up from the nucleation point. Excellent head retention, nice chunks of lacing.

S: Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce is really the stand out feature on this one. Wow, smells like a can of chipotle peppers. A few hints of smoke in there, some slight malty smells, kind of hard to place, and a few hints of clean citrus hops.

T: Strong flavors of chipotle peppers that leads into a pleasant hop bitterness, almost no sweetness in this beer. Malt profile is muted because of the chile flavors, which fade nicely into a great bitterness. Just a hint of spicyness as well. Lots of lingering flavors. After trying a few different chile beers this one is hands down the most flavorful and well thought out one.

M: Light bodied, decent carbonation, fairly smooth, not bad.

D: I don't think I could drink very much of this, as it just doesn't come across as something I'd want to drink more than a bomber of. Really would be an excellent beer to pair with food though. Excellent work Rogue. A beer that I can't believe I've passed by a million times. Compared to most other chile beers, this is fantastic, as most of them end up tasting like crackers with tabasco sauce on them.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a nice dark hazy amber with a nice thick off-white head. Nice lacing, good retention.

Smells like chipotle peppers, no surprise there. Smokey smell also, a slight hop aroma also. This smells wonderful.

Tastes like chipotle peppers, very overpowering, basically the only thing you can taste. A slight hop bitterness, and a nice spicey/burning sensation at the back of my throat for an aftertaste, wow!

Spicey and smooth mouthfeel, considering that it burns as you drink it, its not very drinkable, but I like spicy food, so this isn't that bad to me! What a very unique beer, you either love it or hate it, everyone should try this at least once!

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

Large capped bottle, poured into a pint.

Amber in color, nice white head, average retention, lots of lacing.
Interesting and powerful aroma; lots of malts in here, caramel, roasted tones, and profound spiciness; peppers, of course.
It tastes something like a heavier malted amber ale, with a lot of spiciness, and some spicy heat to make it interesting, without being over the board as I was afraid. All in all, quite tasty, and not offensive. I am glad I tried.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a slightly hazed dark amber / light golden red with a thin tan head - I had to force a bit of carbonation into a lazy covering, but it left behind a nice series of lacing rings that faded slowly away.

Very sweet honeyish malts and a bit of spice that I want to attribute to hops, but should probably give to the peppers - it's got a bit more heat than the usual pine of hops.

Smooth, gentle and pretty unassuming on the malt flavor - a medium, wheat bread kind of taste, followed up with a few swirls of hop oil, followed immediately by a delicious blooming, blossoming, swelling taste of peppers - it's not hot, and it's not overpowering at all, but the taste is rounded and compliments the beer well - it really tastes like I'm washing down a taco with a swig of beer. Don't be afraid - the pepper taste is delicious and doesn't linger at all - it makes its presence known and curteously steps aside.

A proper amount of carbonation distributes what little pepper and alcohol heat there is; It's a light ale, and the finish is extremely clean, which surprised me - I expected pepper taste to hang around in the mouth, but once you swallow, you're left with only a few seconds' revisitation of the malts, then nothing. If anything, I wish this were a bit heartier and more full.

I'm actually really glad I tried this one - I admittedly just wanted it for the bottle. I think Rogue managed to do a pepper beer the right way.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

A - Beautiful big soapy bone coloured head capping a deep dark golden amber. Sticky chunks of lace to the end.

S - Smoke and wood. More than a little bit like a rauchbier.

T - There's the peppers. Some meat also, chorizo. Wood fired pepperoni pizza with plenty of chilli.

M - Moderate to full bodied. Moderate carbonation. Bitter finish.

O - Very different and quite complex. Love the flavours and the whole experience really.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

The brew appeared a copper - red color with minimal head.

The smell was sweet at first with a spice note on the end.

Taste was a little more complex. There was an immediate malt flavor followed by a smokey aftertaste. Following the smoke came a mild chile-like heat.

This was a malty beer that with good carbonation. Wasn't overpowering with the various flavors.

The smokey flavor was a little intense at times but for a chili beer I was very impressed. I would consider trying it again.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

Picked up this 12oz single for $2.59 at Barb's Beer Emporium in Concord NH. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

Cloudy reddish gold brew gives a thick tan head that leaves a thick carpet of lace on the glass. The nose is really interesting- fairly typical thick semi-sweet bready malts, but then an unmistakable spicy red pepper bite. The taste is very much the same though adds a bit of smokiness, presumably also from the chipotle. Mouthfeel is moderately thick with appropriate carbonation. The spice is felt mildly starting with the first sip but really develops and lingers long into the finish, a pleasant warming burn. Very interesting, not something I'd drink regularly, but I'm glad I tried it and would have it again on occasion.

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

A: amber-red with very small white lacing head
S: upfront smokiness and slightly peppery
T: a slight tingle/burn with a huge flavor of smoke and a tidbit of fruity hops. Almost citrus to counteract the burn. I like it!
M: moderately bodied with a lightly carbonated flush in the tip of the tongue.
O: I like this and as mentioned before I agree that this would pair extremely well with barbecued meats, even smoked spicy meat. Definitely would like honey and spicy bbq ribs slow cooked under cedar chips. My mouth is now drooling lol. Definitely a great experience as my first chili/hot pepper beer. Keep up the great work Rogue!

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I may have chilled it a bit too much since as usual, I procrastinated on it's purchase and quickly tossed it in the freezer. But I'm hungry as hell and I told myself I'd taste the first glass or so before actually pairing the food to get both impressions.

A not so gentle pour lends to a rich brown ale with a nice but quickly dissapating off white head, laces nicely. Smells of lightly toasted malts. Chocolate and coffee undertones with a slight possibly citrus hop.

A mouthful of medium bodied brew delights the tongue with roasted malts. Definite Chocolate, maybe carameled coffee. I'd say I can't really pick up any spice in it, perhaps it's too cold. I'm really trying to taste something else in there, I suppose it might be the smoked jalepenos it specifies, very coyly. It has a familiar Rogue slightly bitter hop to it, but they are not overpowering and quite subtle. This is quite well balanced, only the smoked flavor dominates, a bit of alcohol warming, but that could just be my extremely empty stomach. Ahh! The spice is starting to cut through, definitely biting on the tongue after a few minutes now, excellent.

This didn't pair very well with the Chile Con Queso I had, except the spices. It kept my mouth ablaze which I love, but the smoked flavor was dominating too much. might go better with a meat dish of some sort, but I would never know... Alone, it's a very interesting and tasty offering, unique and worth a try once in awhile, just not very drinkable in quantities.

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

This is the first beer of this style that I have ever tried. I must say that I was pleased. Pours a orangish/light brownish/reddish like amber color. It initially has a nice white head about an inch thick that starts to shrink very quickly to almost nothing. Leaves some very decent lacing though. Has a sort of smoked aroma with malt, some caramel, and spices definetly strongly present, hence the chipotle. Tastewise there is some bread and caramel present along malt and most of all spice. this is probabley the most spicy beer I have ever had. The spices have a burning effect on the palate, like one would imagine having in thier mouth after doing shots of whiskey or bourbon, not quite that strong, but still stronger than I have ever had in a beer before. Has a spicy, slightly burning aftertaste that lingers on the palate. Surprisingly (at least to me) I found the mouthfeel to be frothy and creamy with moderate carbonation. Fairly easy to drink. I am happy to say that this was one of the most unique beers I have ever had. Every beer lover should try this at least once, especially those who like spicy food (like myself).

Eric

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

First time I've ever tried a "Chile Beer," glad I get to try something from a company I'm fairly familiar with, here goes:

In a pint glass:

A: light amber colored body, really nice looking foamy lumpy white two finger head appears and lasts for a good three minutes before gently dieing into the body. Some carbonation is seen rising. Some spotty lacing is left.

S: wow, I can really smell the jalapeno peppers (honestly, I was a bit skeptical and thought it would be just another amber that displays undertones of peppers)

T: the same adding a very dry smokey aftertaste.

M: medium and sharp on the tongue, possibly because of the peppers that were added (just an assumption, but unfamiliar with the style so slightly unsure). I'm liking this "hot" feel rushing over my tongue after about five minutes of having a couple sips of this, interesting.

O: I've been wanting to try this for a very long time. I'm glad I was finally able to find one. I'm not sure if this is only a "Spring" beer anymore since only recently I saw a large amount added to Bow Street Market, Freeport, Maine. I guess its good for its style since it displays the normal smell and taste of "hot and spicy food" the mouthfeel I'm unsure of and am making an assumption on that part, but I think I would come back to this. I wonder how this would pair with chocolate cake at dessert?

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales