Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,348 | Reviews: 697

a: pours cloudy dark copper with sturdy one-finger head.

s: earthy smoked pepper on top of sweet malt and a bit of hop spice.

t: sweet pale ale taste for a second until the chipotle kicks in, which warms slightly and brings a great smoky taste.

m: thick but smooth, the chipotle leaves an earthy film.

d: delicious well-balanced mix of spice and sweet, it can be a refreshing break during a night of strong beers.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I may have chilled it a bit too much since as usual, I procrastinated on it's purchase and quickly tossed it in the freezer. But I'm hungry as hell and I told myself I'd taste the first glass or so before actually pairing the food to get both impressions.

A not so gentle pour lends to a rich brown ale with a nice but quickly dissapating off white head, laces nicely. Smells of lightly toasted malts. Chocolate and coffee undertones with a slight possibly citrus hop.

A mouthful of medium bodied brew delights the tongue with roasted malts. Definite Chocolate, maybe carameled coffee. I'd say I can't really pick up any spice in it, perhaps it's too cold. I'm really trying to taste something else in there, I suppose it might be the smoked jalepenos it specifies, very coyly. It has a familiar Rogue slightly bitter hop to it, but they are not overpowering and quite subtle. This is quite well balanced, only the smoked flavor dominates, a bit of alcohol warming, but that could just be my extremely empty stomach. Ahh! The spice is starting to cut through, definitely biting on the tongue after a few minutes now, excellent.

This didn't pair very well with the Chile Con Queso I had, except the spices. It kept my mouth ablaze which I love, but the smoked flavor was dominating too much. might go better with a meat dish of some sort, but I would never know... Alone, it's a very interesting and tasty offering, unique and worth a try once in awhile, just not very drinkable in quantities.

4.02/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours an orangish red with an off white head that leave lacing. The smell is very smoky with some spicy notes. The taste is smoky up front (not as much as Rogue's smoked ale) with a dry finish that leaves the spice of the chipotle lingering in your mouth. This is a meduim bodied brew with a good mouthfeel and balance. The taste is not very overpowering and is easy to drink. I cannot see myself drinking more than a couple of these, I would suggest drinking these along with a nice BBQ, or the flavor could get old. A very interesting brew, done very well. This is worth checking out especially if you like Rogue's smoked ale.

4.02/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass.

A- Pours a cloudy amber with a 2 finger offwhite head. Tremendous lacing on the glass as the head fades.

S- Smells like jalapeno peppers. Its almost like sticking your nose into a bag of jalapeno chips...quite awesome

T- Yeah, I'm getting heat, especially as its going down. Its a very mild heat however, not overwhelming at all. Aside from that though, there aren't a ton of other flavors popping.

M- Its light, a solid ale. As I mentioned earlier, not overwhelming in the slightest.

D- I'd say this is very drinkable. I'd imagine it would go awesome with some Mexican food. I'm drinking it solo though, and I'm enjoying it a good bit. The beer doesn't beat you over the head with the heat, and your mouth won't catch on fire.

4.02/5  rDev +12.9%

Nice rich honey amber color with a good frothy whitish head. Smells of a touch of sweetness as it warms, but mostly of hops, and a slight bit of spicy heat, yet not a smoky chipotle spice smell at all. Taste is surprisingly smooth, hoppy, faintly sweet, a decent bit bitter, and perhaps the faintest bite of spice, but it might also just be flavor from the hops. There is a touch of sweetness in the aftertaste which is nice. It does have a warming effect in the chest area after it goes down also, but its definitely not a chipotle smell or smoked taste on the palate. Subtle but still nice, and even though I was expecting a touch more hearty spicy smokiness from the chipotle, It may have made for an overly spicy, unenjoyable beer. This may be the right spice level, but I wish it had a hint of smokiness still. Overall pretty well balanced, but maybe not what you'd expect from looking at the bottle. Good but was a bit pricy at $5.50 for a 22 oz bottle. I liked this beer more and more as I drank it

4.02/5  rDev +12.9%

Didn't really know what to expect from this beer. After trying it, I can say I definitely like the style and find it right up my alley. I do like spicy things overall, and having this makes me realize it can work fairly well in beer when done right. Appearance looks like a normal type of amber ale. Not to much head or lacing, looks nondescript. You can definitely smell some of the pepper, and it gives the beer a slightly smokey scent. The smell is interesting. I can't say it's necessarily appetizing, but definitely interesting. Taste wise is where this beer shines. As it warms, the pepper and spice becomes slightly more pronounced, and gives this beer a bit of a bite that I find to be really satisfying. The more you have of it, the better it is. It takes a little getting used to at first. Mouthfeel is a little on the watery side, but the same time the carbonation goes great with the spice, and the heat of it makes it feel quite full. Any fuller body would probably make this feel too heavy. Overall I quite liked this... not a beer I would drink everyday, but certainly good.

4.02/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a slightly hazed dark amber / light golden red with a thin tan head - I had to force a bit of carbonation into a lazy covering, but it left behind a nice series of lacing rings that faded slowly away.

Very sweet honeyish malts and a bit of spice that I want to attribute to hops, but should probably give to the peppers - it's got a bit more heat than the usual pine of hops.

Smooth, gentle and pretty unassuming on the malt flavor - a medium, wheat bread kind of taste, followed up with a few swirls of hop oil, followed immediately by a delicious blooming, blossoming, swelling taste of peppers - it's not hot, and it's not overpowering at all, but the taste is rounded and compliments the beer well - it really tastes like I'm washing down a taco with a swig of beer. Don't be afraid - the pepper taste is delicious and doesn't linger at all - it makes its presence known and curteously steps aside.

A proper amount of carbonation distributes what little pepper and alcohol heat there is; It's a light ale, and the finish is extremely clean, which surprised me - I expected pepper taste to hang around in the mouth, but once you swallow, you're left with only a few seconds' revisitation of the malts, then nothing. If anything, I wish this were a bit heartier and more full.

I'm actually really glad I tried this one - I admittedly just wanted it for the bottle. I think Rogue managed to do a pepper beer the right way.

4.02/5  rDev +12.9%

poured a fairly deep copper with a nice head and lacing galore.
this beer was unique for sure. the nose was smokey, spicy but not from the hops. the jalapenos actually came through the smoked malt .
taste was again nice, different than any beer I had ever had. Initial hit of roasted malts, but smoked. Hints of peet and the telltale jalapeno spice. Slight in the taste, but you could feel the lingering burn on the back of the palate.
I really enjoyed this one.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy reddish mahogany color, with a short tan head that disappears quickly with only a trace of lace.

The aroma is malty with a hint of roasted, smoky peppers.

The taste is smoky over a decent malt base with a prominent vegetable tone (roasted peppers). The finish is mostly smoky roasted peppers with just a moderate pepper heat.

Smooth, fairly easy to drink with the heat almost like an afterthought that lingers on pleasantly. This should be a great accompniement to Tex-Mex or southwestern cuisine. The chipotle is mild enough to complement spicy food rather than compete with it. Definitely worth a try.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

Growing numerous varieties of peppers this year, when I saw this on the shelf at my beer store I knew I had to have it.

A: Very nice golden amber color with 2 fingers worth of head that simmer down to a very nice veil of lace that sticks to the sides of the glass well and remains for most of the way down.

S: Excellent floral hops with alot of distinct earthy "garden" aromas. Reminds me of weeding in the garden and smelling all the various vegetable plants and soil smells. Also a deep malty sweetness. Very intriguing.

T: Wow. Such a surprise on the palette and senses. Sweetness of the malt at first that instantly gives way to an incredible smokey flavor from the chilis. Reminds me of bacon wrapped jalapenos without the heat. Makes way to some floral hoppyness and a medium bitterness. I can feel an ever slight amount of heat as well, its so strangely unique. After tastes consists of slight bitterness and a hint of grain/wheat.

M: Average carbonation works well with the hop level and the smokeyness. Leaves a crisp clean taste and moderate ABV isn't noticeable at all.

O: Crazy game that is played on the senses. Flavors that should be coming from food but instead are sipped and a mild heat make this a very unique beer. Not your usual beer style but def worth the price of the bottle and worth trying.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

Large capped bottle, poured into a pint.

Amber in color, nice white head, average retention, lots of lacing.
Interesting and powerful aroma; lots of malts in here, caramel, roasted tones, and profound spiciness; peppers, of course.
It tastes something like a heavier malted amber ale, with a lot of spiciness, and some spicy heat to make it interesting, without being over the board as I was afraid. All in all, quite tasty, and not offensive. I am glad I tried.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

A - Beautiful big soapy bone coloured head capping a deep dark golden amber. Sticky chunks of lace to the end.

S - Smoke and wood. More than a little bit like a rauchbier.

T - There's the peppers. Some meat also, chorizo. Wood fired pepperoni pizza with plenty of chilli.

M - Moderate to full bodied. Moderate carbonation. Bitter finish.

O - Very different and quite complex. Love the flavours and the whole experience really.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

Picked up this 12oz single for $2.59 at Barb's Beer Emporium in Concord NH. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

Cloudy reddish gold brew gives a thick tan head that leaves a thick carpet of lace on the glass. The nose is really interesting- fairly typical thick semi-sweet bready malts, but then an unmistakable spicy red pepper bite. The taste is very much the same though adds a bit of smokiness, presumably also from the chipotle. Mouthfeel is moderately thick with appropriate carbonation. The spice is felt mildly starting with the first sip but really develops and lingers long into the finish, a pleasant warming burn. Very interesting, not something I'd drink regularly, but I'm glad I tried it and would have it again on occasion.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured into a tumbler as recommended, this beer looked to be somewhere between light brown and orange in color, and had a smallish foamy head. While it looked pretty good, it did not exude much smell at all. I could detect a faint smokiness but nothing else. When consumed, the beer clearly oozed the mild smoky taste of Chipotle peppers. This was balanced well by the sweet fruitiness of the caramel malt and some well chosen citric hops from the Pacific Northwest. Pretty similar in flavor to chasing Mexican food down with an American Pale Ale which happens to be a pretty good beer and food pairing combination in my opinion. The flavors worked well together and the aftertaste was densely smoky. Quite juicy and medium thick on the palette, this would work splendidly well as an aperitif. Overall, a much better beer than I was thinking it was going to be.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Rogue, of course, gives the best example of how to do a chili pepper beer right, if you have the balls to do it at all! First of all, it has to be an ale, something with sufficient flavor in itself to support the extra spicy chili taste, not one of those weak lagers with a pepper in the bottle (Crazy Ed, I'm talking to you!), and they use smoked chipotles, for an extra twist! Gotta love you, Rogue, and I rue the day I don't!
Appearance: a dull orangish color, topped with a huge, frothy white head.
Aroma: clean, but slightly spicy, with tiny hints of fruit, mellow, but still intriquing.
Taste is mellow at first, but before long the flavors unfurl, and then it hits...and kicks...subtly at first, then flowering, and revealing a definite peppery character
that soon dominates the palate with slow-arriving, but quickly conquering heat!
Still tasty and fruity, as any decent ale should be, with that peppery tinge at the back of the palate and lingering in the base of the throat.
Smokey peppery character really adds a unique dimension to this brew, and it deserves extra points for boldness and uniqueness alone!
Yummy, delicious, and Hot, HotHot!!! Now it's taking over my heade and creeping around other parts of the body, and it just gets hotter as we drink along...my damned head is flame, as the 22 0z. bottle is nearly emptied!
Hot, hot, hot and getting hotter, man, it's time to call the Bucket Brigade!
Big old thanks to BierRiese for helping me to reunite this once-tasted ale to my lips once more!

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

A: amber-red with very small white lacing head
S: upfront smokiness and slightly peppery
T: a slight tingle/burn with a huge flavor of smoke and a tidbit of fruity hops. Almost citrus to counteract the burn. I like it!
M: moderately bodied with a lightly carbonated flush in the tip of the tongue.
O: I like this and as mentioned before I agree that this would pair extremely well with barbecued meats, even smoked spicy meat. Definitely would like honey and spicy bbq ribs slow cooked under cedar chips. My mouth is now drooling lol. Definitely a great experience as my first chili/hot pepper beer. Keep up the great work Rogue!

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

This is the first beer of this style that I have ever tried. I must say that I was pleased. Pours a orangish/light brownish/reddish like amber color. It initially has a nice white head about an inch thick that starts to shrink very quickly to almost nothing. Leaves some very decent lacing though. Has a sort of smoked aroma with malt, some caramel, and spices definetly strongly present, hence the chipotle. Tastewise there is some bread and caramel present along malt and most of all spice. this is probabley the most spicy beer I have ever had. The spices have a burning effect on the palate, like one would imagine having in thier mouth after doing shots of whiskey or bourbon, not quite that strong, but still stronger than I have ever had in a beer before. Has a spicy, slightly burning aftertaste that lingers on the palate. Surprisingly (at least to me) I found the mouthfeel to be frothy and creamy with moderate carbonation. Fairly easy to drink. I am happy to say that this was one of the most unique beers I have ever had. Every beer lover should try this at least once, especially those who like spicy food (like myself).

Eric

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured a 22oz bottle into my Smokestack goblet. The beer pours a reddish copper with a big off white head that dissipates into just a thin layer, leaving sticky lacing all the way down the glass. The aroma starts out as the sweet spiciness that comes from a fresh green jalapeno. There is a subtle sweetness that balances the spiciness very well. The taste is mildly oily and leaves a nice spiciness on the lips and tongue. For someone that really enjoys spicy food, this beer is really good. The mouthfeel is a bit thick honestly. I wish it was a bit thinner. I think that it would balance the spiciness a bit better. While, I think this is a good beer, it would be hard to drink more than a bomber.

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a nice dark hazy amber with a nice thick off-white head. Nice lacing, good retention.

Smells like chipotle peppers, no surprise there. Smokey smell also, a slight hop aroma also. This smells wonderful.

Tastes like chipotle peppers, very overpowering, basically the only thing you can taste. A slight hop bitterness, and a nice spicey/burning sensation at the back of my throat for an aftertaste, wow!

Spicey and smooth mouthfeel, considering that it burns as you drink it, its not very drinkable, but I like spicy food, so this isn't that bad to me! What a very unique beer, you either love it or hate it, everyone should try this at least once!

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

Glowing amber orange with a creamy orange-tinged head with good lacing. I can’t believe the difference in color between this and the Golden is only the chipotles! It’s way to rich in color! Sweet malt with lots of smokiness. Close to a rauchbier in character with “something else” going on. Clean tasting beer, good malt presence, definite chipotle flavor. There is no mistaking this for a rauchbier. Slight spicy tingle builds after a few sips. Smokey aftertaste with lingering bitterness. Tasty brew. I wouldn’t go they *obvious* approach and pair this with a spicy dish, but this would be a nice compliment to simply prepared chicken or an assortment of mild cheeses.

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours dark orange color, medium sized head with some lacing left behind.
Strong roasted malt aroma, hint of hops maybe some pepper but I might be looking for it.
The flavor is of a really good hearty ale. Hint of caramel sweetness, lots of roasty malt, an occasional touch of smoke, a swirl of hops and then finishing with a little chili bite. The chili flavor builds the more I drink, but never to more than a pleasant afterthought.
Rather enjoyed this one, think it would be a good compliment to certain foods.

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

The beer pours an amber color with a decent head. The aroma has is a mixture of fruit and malt. A little smokiness joins the mix as well. Light to medium bodied on the palate.

The flavor has toasted malt, again with a touch of fruit. As it moves through the center a rich, smoky, pepper flavor rises. It finishes a little spicy, but not too much.

This is a unique brew. I enjoyed the the smoky, spicy finish. It provided a unique balance to the sweetish malt up front.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales