Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +15.7%

A: poured a brownish orange with yellow highlights with a finger of bubbly head and left good sticky lacing on the glass.

S: it definitely has a very nice chipotle aroma off the bat with caramel scented malts, slight citrus notes, and lite underlying tamarind notes as well; nice aroma on this one for sure.

T: on previous bathes as this one the chipotle peppers weren't as potent but for some reason the chipotle does have a little bite in this bottle, I think this one is a little bit more fresh too. The chipotle meshes very well with the malts which like the nose has tamarind style accents its pleasing to my palate since I like spicy foods.

M: the brew was medium body with a good amount of carbonation that had a nice spicy, malty, crisp, and refreshing finish.

D: overall the beer drank very well and was not at all overwhelming on the spice like other chile beers I've had in the past where it burns going down the hatch. I think I have to pick up more fresh bottles cause it seems like the spice dies through time IMO.

Gobzilla, Aug 20, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +15.7%

A: Pours a copper-reddish-brown color with a decent fingers worth of head that leaves great lacing

S: Fairly malty and slightly spiced with a faint scent of jalepeños. Almost like a spicy steak rub

T: Same as the smell, accompanied by a nice smoky twang throughout. Not too spicy at all

M: Medium bodied with light carbonation, definitely smooth

D/O: Easily drinkable and not overbearingly spicy, a great example of a smoky chile beer

BEERMILER12, Mar 22, 2011

22oz. Bomber

I passed by this beer quite a few times and was always a little apprehensive about trying it. I felt a little adventurous today at the store so I picked up a bomber of it. We'll see if it was a smart thing to do or not.

I poured this into a pilsner glass so I could get the best idea of what it looked like. I poured a murky orangish amber. A solid slightly half inch off-white head sits on top that fades to a quarter inch but sticks around. Lots of carbonation rising from the depths.

I stick my nose in the glass and at first the only thing I smell is an open can of chipotle peppers. I know I'm smelling a beer but as I do my mind can't decipher between a beer and the peppers. It's strange. Playing tricks on my mind. After trying to smell deeper I do come up with a decent caramel backbone that just barely fights its way through the smoke. I actually like the smell even though it's not like a beer. It makes my mouth water.

Now for the taste test...-braces myself-...Wow! nothing like what I expected. The front starts out like a good red ale. Good caramel maltiness, grainy start. Mid-palate is where the smokiness kicks in. It's a heavy dark campfire like smokiness. The chipotle hits faintly at the swallow and lingers in the aftertaste. Good balance. The longer this beer sits the more the malts shine through and the more heat you get in the back of the throat. It must accumulate. I gave this what I did for taste because it goes above and beyond all others considering the style.

Mouthfeel is good. It's medium bodied and creamy which I think also helps the balance of all this beer. Finishs dry. A slight heat in the throat the more you drink.

Drinkability is good considering what kind of beer it is. I can't imagine another chili beer going down as good.

Overall I'm shocked at the quality of this beer. I was expecting the worst but got something much different. For what this beer is it does a fantastic job at it. Give it a try if you see it. Even if you don't like it it is an expierence worth having.

Slainte!

joe1510, Oct 29, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +15.7%

A: single finger head, little retention on a clear amber body.

S: fresh baked bread and lots of yeast with a mild chili note.

T: nice maltiness which fades to chile and chipotle but this one isn't hot. The spiciness is there but there is no burn or overwhelming chili aftertaste compared to others.

M: medium body and moderate carbonation.

Overall: I like how the chipotle adds to the taste and aroma but doesn't dominate either. Hands down the best chili beer I have had. Just the right amount of heat and chili flavor with nice malt balance.

kylehay2004, May 12, 2012

A- Amber red, 2 finger foam

S- Strong smell of smoke, jalapeño and of caramel and malts.

T- The taste begins with a strong smoke taste followed by a hint of hops, the lead into a very mild jalapeño taste also strong crushed peppercorn taste. Follows out with a cream malt finish.

M- Very light and refreshing, not what I was expecting at all.

D- The first taste through me off, I was not expecting a refreshing taste and was hoping for something more spicy. Although this was mild, by the time I finished this bomber my tongue had just a bit of burning. Over all I hope to buy this beer again soon.

Dlish, Jul 13, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +16.2%

Appearance: poured a deep amber/auburn color , with a medium sized head of offwhite foam.

Smell: A rich maltiness is shadowed by a smoky jalapeno spice, a scent almost phenolic or like a band-aid in a good way.

Taste: Nice full malty body is tasted for a moment before a good dose of smoke kicks in, then lots of nice pepper flavor fill the mouth, the heat of the jalapenos takes a moment to set in but it does so nicely with rich warmth and spice on the tongue and throat, just a bit of hop bitterness to the end of the sip, the heat gets more intense as i drink, but fades nicely, a pleasant heat.

Mouthfeel: medium to full bodied, spicy nudge to the tongue.

Drinkability: Definatly one of the most unique beers i've ever had. Im really diggin the smokey flavors, the peppers and the heat this brew has. I would definatly reccomend this to any chile head and i can't wait to try it with some spicy foods, especially mexican/ spanish.

Byeast, Apr 12, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +16.2%

Agreed that it's not the chile beer with the most heat; that's because it tastes like actual chipotle peppers. Smooth and mildly hoppy nose, moderate carbonation, with warming chipotle finish. I would argue that the spicier beers are more of a novelty, whereas this one is more genuinely tasty and drinkable. If you like that kind of thing, of course, it's not for everyone.

recoveringmormon, Aug 17, 2013
4.15/5  rDev +16.2%

This beer pours a slightly murky reddish amber color with a fair amount of foamy off white head that doesn't last for long Not much lacing going on either.

I was expecting to smell hot spicy peppers but it just smells alot like dead guy ale. There are some sweet malts that come up at the end but very little actual spicy pepper is there for me to pick out. Overall it smells sweet, which is surprising to me.

Its easy to pick out the pacman yeast at the beginning but then the chipotle peppers kick in at the end. Its a well balanced amber ale until the peppers hit your taste buds. This beer leaves a hot tingly sensation in the back of your throat and the peppers are definitely more on the aftertaste than the initial flavor. It has a nice low/medium carbonation level.

Overall this beer is awesome, I had never tried a chile beer before and I was really satisfied with it. I didn't know what to expect and I was impressed, definitely a great beer to enjoy on cinco de mayo.

bens0n, May 06, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +16.2%

This is a pretty one – a cool amber with flecks of red. The head is thin, bubbly, and disappears quickly. Taking my anosmia into account, I have been told the smell is smoky, with hints of chili pepper and malt.

The taste is initially sweet, and surprisingly full, followed by a robust smokiness. Subtle hints of chili linger as the smokiness disappears. Another sip confirms this progression from sweet to smoky. The aftertaste showcases this beer’s distinct chili flavor, although the spiciness is not as ‘in your face’ as you might expect.

Carbonation is light. Mouthfeel is full, but I wouldn’t quite describe it as earthy or chewy. This beer really surprised me- I was expecting a rather unique, novelty brew- much to the contrary, I have discovered a sweet and smoky beer with an unexpectedly high drinkability. Good with ribs?

jaymirage, May 23, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured from a bomber into a tumbler, the beer is a vibrant, slightly hazed copper coloring with no head. The nose is caramel malty in the background, with a pepper spice and smokiness in the forefront. Flavors are heavily ladened with the peppery flavors, both sweet and spicy, and a heavy dose of roasted smokiness. Very well balanced, and a good background of malt sweetness to keep everything held together and smooth. The beer is mid-bodied, and remains on the light side for the flavor profile. The aftertaste is mostly the smokiness, with bits of the pepper vegetable on the palate. Mid-linger finish, again mostly the smoke. Very unique and interesting brew. Great flavors, and not overpowering. Can't wait to have it with some enchiladas, or other Mexican fare.

GarthDanielson, Oct 08, 2011

Split with bbb099 on 12/17/10

A: A very cloudy amber with a nice, off-white, frothy head that leaves a nice residue on the glass as it subsides.

S: A pleasing mix of spices and hops, with a bit of that smoky chipotle flavor mixed with the malt base.

T: The first taste isn't anything too special, light hops and malt, but it finishes very strongly. The chipotle emerges from the flavor and dominates the aftertaste. Much less abrasive than I thought it might be.

M: Good. The carbonation was appropriate for the different flavor, but the aftertaste was enough to leave a slightly disconcerting feeling in the mouth.

D: Very drinkable, provided that you have food. It would go very well with a meal, but to drink a whole 22oz bottle in one sitting by yourself would be a little bit rough. All in all, quite good.

mjyoung, Jan 07, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +16.2%

A- Pint glass poured with a slightly hazy amber colored ale and a cream colored head, very pleased.

S- The spices are noticeable, but the chipotle pepper aroma is vaguely there and not overpowering. Smells more on the smokey side.

T- The taste is quite unexpected in a beer, but goes hand in hand with the name of the beer, you definitely get a kick, but definitely not overpowering.

M- On the light-medium side, carbonated well.

O- I found myself looking at this beer in the store thinking, Rouge doesn't let down, so I decided to go for it. Man I was in for a surprise, it was not what I expected, but I fell in love sip after sip, but definitely not a beer to have in high quantities. Great Beer!

TheBrouMaster, Oct 31, 2013
4.15/5  rDev +16.2%

Quite opaque, bronze/copper color. Minimal lacing/head.

Smells more malty than hoppy, you can detect a bit of peppery/spicy heat.

Perhaps a bit biased, as I'm enjoying this with arroz con pollo, but I believe this beer to be quite complex and well-balanced. The first wave is a little cinnamon sweet, you get the bready/toasty maltness, followed quickly with the warmth of the cinnamon and something like cardamom. The spice flavors seem well blended, like the beer has been aged or something. Lots of after-tastes.. ham/bacon, more spices/herbs, licorice perhaps.

Surprisingly light. Like the beer turns into vapor when it hits your tongue. Quite refreshing.

Overall, a solid entry into the spiced/herbal beers from Rogue. Worth a try.

CaptMaelstrom, Mar 28, 2013
4.18/5  rDev +17.1%

i was hesitant to sample this style, but, seeing as i like damn near anything that is spicy and rogue brews a beer within this style, i figured i'd give it a whirl and i'm glad i did. it pours a nice copper/orange colour with minimal head but what is there is rather sticky. the smell is mainly your basic pale ale, i felt, with a nice balance between earth malt and sweet hop. there, of course, is a noticeable chile/pepper smell as well. the flavour is pretty much spot on, starting out somewhat dry amnd malty before hitting a touch of those sweet hops and then finishing with a spice kick that will hit you but not overpower you. it's mixed in toward the end just right and provides for a lovely tingly mothfeel that is well placed with the carbonation of the brew. while i can't say that this one would be for everyone, i certainly enjoyed it. at the very least, give it a try. it's most definitely a well crafted brew, even if it is different.

SixpointJMH, Oct 21, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +17.1%

Since this beer is spicier than it is smokey, it would pair well with mexican or spicier foods. The beer pours an amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a rich malty scent that boasts of pale, crystal, and roasted malts along with spicey red chile edge. The taste is good as well. It has a smooth, malty flavor that boasts of crystal and roasted malts along with a very spicey chipotle pepper taste. I love these kind of beers. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. Rogue seems to be able to get it done no matter what style it is.

microbrew52, Feb 23, 2010

Presentation:
650mL bomber poured into a tulip glass to really capture those peppery aromas. No dates on the bottle.

Visual:
The body is a delicious ruby orange and clear as a crystal. It agitates well into a nice thick khaki head. Decent retention and some beautiful lacing. I'd give this a 5 if only the head stuck around a little longer.

Aroma:
Well balanced. Great earthy platform from the Willamette hops, along with a bready malt profile bragging of caramel sweet undertones. I won't lie, there is a hint of rubber band somewhere in the back, but it is not unpleasant - just unexpected. Soft pepper notes up front like pepperoni that fade into the unique chipotle twinge in the finish.

Taste:
The hops create a pleasant bittering that cleans the palate for the peppers to follow. Well done Rogue, that's planning ahead. Hearty malt profile that is subtle yet present; again, not stealing the show from the peppers, but making sure everything stays balanced. Medium bodied with a grainy mouthfeel, perfect for rustling those flavors up. Nice soft bittering aftertaste with a hint of spiciness.

Overall:
Job well done. I had a cajun pepper ale a while back that was way out of whack. It seemed that they made an ale, and just added peppers without thinking of how the two blend. Rogue, on the other hand, seemed to put a lot of thought into the final product with this brew. The level of intensity for each ingredient is balanced well with the others.
I could see this brew pairing well with chipotle based foods, but I would personally recommend not going that route. I would say, embrace this ales complexity with some nice pulled pork or rotisserie chicken. Think subtly sweet, like cornbread or bbq. This ale would be perfect for cooking southern recipes with.

Side note: I would let this brew sit out of your fridge for about 15-20 minutes before serving it. I had a glassful while it was cold, straight out of the fridge and it was okay. Once a half hour went by (with the bottle sitting in room temperature) and I had the second glass, the malt really shined. This immensely helps bring out those rich chipotle features.

Cheers!

dbmcrorie, Dec 01, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from the bomber bottle into a glass in two parts. This is my first chile ale, so not exactly sure what to expect.

Appearance is dark orange to auburn. There is a one finger tan head. Aroma has notes of caramel malt and pepper. The pepper presents more as a sweet note than a spicy note in the nose. Taste hits upfront with pepper spice, not overly spicy though. Some malt shines through, but not overpowering. Good balance. Slighty watery at the beginning of the brew, but the pepper spice builds throughout and reaches the appropiate level halfway through the brew. Motuhfeel is medium bodied with a brisk amount of carbonation. Somewhat chewy at the end of each sip. Drinkability is good, the ABV is not noticable and the flavor is not overpowering. However, after more than one the spice could build up and be a problem.

Overall, a good beer and a great introduction to the style. Balanced and not overpowering. Recommended for anyone slighty adventuresome.

Gosox8787, Sep 02, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +17.1%

Wow! What a surprise this beer was. We had it at a tasting at our house. Right from the start you could smell the spices. Great color and body. The taste was impressive as well. Strong hop flavor along with citrus but then you can taste the chili flavor at the tip of your tongue. It has a little heat but it does not linger. We all enjoyed this beer and will be picking up another bottle soon. It would pair well with BBQ.

Wheelinb, Apr 26, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +17.1%

A three-finger tan head tops off a reddish-orange brew. Retention is good, with some streaking, diminutive chunks of lace left here and there around the pint glass. The aroma involves, not surprisingly, some spicy peppers, malts and citrus. The taste is as unique as the smell, with some good peppery notes that linger in the aftertaste and keep things fairly hot throughout. The hops and malts mix in right underneath the peppers and are a bit overshadowed. Mouth-feel is medium-bodied, and it's light on the carbonation. Rogue can be hit or miss sometimes, but as with the Hazelnut brown, this one blends unique elements to make interesting and very drinkable brews.

stephens101, Jan 16, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +17.1%

At first, I wasn't too impressed with this, but the more I drink it the more I like it.

Typical red ale/amber ale appearance of a dark amber to copper colour. Head is vigorous and takes sometime to settle down. It leaves a decent layer and sticks to the side of the glass in clumps.

At first I thought this smelt like a generic albeit well-done pale ale: a good blend of malts and hops. But the more I poured, the more the beer warmed and the more nose I got, I could smell the heat of the chipotle. Sweet, smokey and spicey. No hops at all: the smoked chipotle overwhelm them, and even the malts are subdued by the pepper.

Initial tastes were of malts, but there is a slow creeping smoky spice flavour. I can definitely taste the peppers. As I swallow, there is a definite pepper taste, and the aftertaste leaves a lingering, faint burning in the back of my throat. Not unpleasant by any means, but rather, it is quite fitting.

This feels a bit thick on the tongue for the taste. I think this could benefit from a bit more carbonation, considering the spicy aftertaste. This is not something I would try to drink more than one of...the combination of flavours make this a potent brew.

BDTyre, Jun 21, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +17.1%

There's a small, cream-colored, sticky, still head. The beer is a clear, rusty copper. Swoopy lacing. Nose is smoky! with a little fruit and a touch of chocolatey malt. Smoky, milky front leads to a big, milky, malty, sweetish, thick middle. The finish is lightly spicy, smoky, nutty and bitter. Some nice citrusy hops poke through. Wow. Very tasty: a meal in a bottle. Quite smoky and milky. Only subtly spicy, with enough malt spine to support it. Really, really tasty.

kbub6f, Aug 31, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +17.1%

Until this point, the only chile beer I've tried was the notorious Cave Creek Chili Beer. After that, I never really had the burning desire to try another chile beer. I finally picked up a bottle of Rogue Chipolte Ale today and to my suprise, I'm really enjoying it. It has a nice sweet peppery malt scent and it tastes great. You can certianly pick up the pepper flavors but they are not at all overwhelming as they are in Cave Creek. I cannot detect much for hops but there might be an ever so slight cascade taste if any. This is also a highly drinkable beer and well balanced considering it's made with chipolte peppers... I will have no problem finishing this bottle, and actually would like to pick up another. Going down well with my RB sandwich...

There are probably others like me who fear spending the 4.50 on a bottle of chipolte ale after trying something like cave creek, but I highly recommend this beer. Rogue is a great brewer and they have made a winner with this beer. The peppers compliment the rest of the beer well and it's a nice change from your average beer. I recommend it and will certianly be picking this up again. Maybe in just a few minutes...

silver1audi, Feb 23, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

Bomber poured into a stein. Eaten with Chipotle drenched in Tabasco Chipotle sauce.

A-Deep amber with thin creamy tan head

S-Crisp ale with smokey peppers

T-Malty ale with after taste of chipotle peppers (obviously)

M-Just rich enough to let the malty sweetness and smoky peppers flow on your tongue

O-Very interesting take on an ale, but I highly recommend drinking with food with some kind of chipotle seasoning. It complements so well that they should sell it at all Mexican restaurants.

MeneerBeerSnob, Aug 17, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

got a bomber of this, super great. this is one of the more interesting beers ive had. great unfiltered orange appearance with a nice white head. the smell is great, really unique. not much of hops, a bit of sweet carmel malts, but loaded with bbq, hickory smokiness which is just really unique and interesting, in a good way. the smokiness is definltey stronger in the nose than the mouth, the taste is much spicer and accute than the smell that is less pin pointed. less smokey, much more chile, chiptole, jalepenos. tickles the palate on the way out. everything i wanted in this beer in regards to taste. tons of notes reminding me of bbqs, hickory chips, and tons of hot peppers. the drinkability isnt too high, in regards to quantity. but for quality i think it really is highly drinkable and enjoyable. really, really happy with this. another great beer from rogue.

irishtjb11, Jan 13, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

This lightly spicy, heavily smoky beer makes a unique session brew. With not too much spiciness it is suprisingly drinkable, rather than a novelty, and the smoky chipotles give it enough of a unique kick to keep it interesting all night. There is a certain medicinal quality to the smoky flavor that is noticable in the odor and taste, and it is a little too overpowering to make this a perfect beer.

dolem98, Sep 27, 2005