1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chipotle AleChipotle Ale

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,189 | Reviews: 681 | Show All Ratings:
TheEclecticGent

Georgia

2.68/5  rDev -24.9%

Had this unusual beer at the “Rogue Fest” in December 2005 at Summits Wayside Tavern in Sandy Springs, GA. They somehow have close ties with Rogue Brewery and get unusual kegs. I was skeptical about this one and avoided it on a few trips. I do love chipotle sauce and beer but didn’t know about combining them. Poured like standard ale, a clear golden amber with a little bit of quickly disappearing head. The smell is of beer and yep chipotle sauce! Smells pleasant like a backyard BBQ. The mouthfeel was a little flat. The taste was OK, mildly hoppy ale with a heavy chipotle finish. It grew on me a bit as I drank it but can’t say I would have another. It’s a novelty though. Glad I tried it.

01-21-2006 01:22:42 | More by TheEclecticGent
Enola

2.68/5  rDev -24.9%

This is a wierd brew. The beer poured with little head and it is the color of sweet tea. The smell is not too bad, similar to a light beer with some spices. The taste is hard to describe. It starts out as a dull spiced taste. Then it turns into a lasting bittersweetness with small hints of peppers. The mouthfeel is not too bad. There is no harshness, just the weird lingering aftertaste. This is not a beer I would try again. Probably not too bad when reveiwed within the style but I don't think I will try this style again either.

05-02-2006 23:41:18 | More by Enola
SPThirtyThree

Colorado

2.68/5  rDev -24.9%

A: Pours perfect grainy, cloudy, yet average amber. Looks like burnt straw in the summer sky in late May, just before being harvested under the sun.

S: Citrus-like and spicy, the aroma of this one hits like a buffalo wing. The heat in the nose perfectly balances the spicy and hoppy tones. The hops smell like west coast varieties, contributing a fruitiness with a slight but weak resemblance to
grapefruit. The sweet honey malts are hidden deep within the odor and are difficult to detect amidst the hops and peppers.

T: This beer hits the tongue with strong honey flavor and then washes around the tongue, leaving behind fire as it swirls down towards the back of the tongue, exciting the saliva glands. Some fruitiness is present, but it is completely dominated by the smoked pepper flavors. It somehow tastes like eating a can of green chilies that have been rolled in fireplace ashes. Smoky, spicy character dominates the palette.

M: The mouthfeel is very light, with the slightest bit of puckering astringency at the end.

D: Low to medium, although the amount of heat in the beer might be limiting.

Overall, the peppers hit a completely different region of the senses than the beer itself, which is unfortunate, as i wanted them to blend more amicably, the way coffee flavors sneak into a beer. This, and the overly cloying sweet taste of the beer are its only faults.

10-27-2009 06:12:45 | More by SPThirtyThree
veech

Tennessee

2.7/5  rDev -24.4%

It's rare that I don't care for a Rogue beer, but chile beer is far from a beer I can recommend. Maybe if drunk with a Mexican meal it would be complimentary but otherwise it's just unpleasant and funky. This beer was too acidic and the aftertaste was just plain rough. Not anything you would want to burp repetitively I can assure you. I think the adjuncts of chiles added to me feeling terrible the next day. It cannot be solely to blame due to my indiscretionary excess but it didn't help either. I might attempt this one again with Mexican cuisine but no time soon.

11-12-2006 21:40:21 | More by veech
pants678

2.7/5  rDev -24.4%

Transparent orange with an off-white/beige head, great retention.

Smells of a dry spice, like a rub for bbq.

There's a sweetness to the hops that accompanies the jalapenos, the desert dry finish reeks of chipotle peppers. Probably better enjoyed with a meal. Looking for more in the way of complexity, but simply not a stand alone brew. While the alcohol is masked, there's no punch.

Highly carbonated yet smooth.

03-19-2011 06:24:21 | More by pants678
jasonpeckins32

2.73/5  rDev -23.5%

The appearance is a hazy autumn bronze with minimal head. The smell is very subtle, a hint of malts and not much else to speak of in the nose category.

It has a crisp, malty flavor. Roasty. I only notice a chipotle trait after a few sips, deep in my chest. Quite warm inside, almost heartburn-like.

Average body and carbonation. This one is good at first, but too warm for the lack of intense flavor that I had expected.

06-16-2007 19:39:07 | More by jasonpeckins32
beabear

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours a brownish-orange color with a small cream-colored head. Even just from looking at it, I can tell the carbonation is really vigorous. Not the most attractive color.

Smell: The spiciness isn't as pronounced as you'd think, though it's definitely there. The most prominent smell is clearly smoke. I'm not getting any hops or malt.

Taste: It's like sticking your head in a chimney. So much smokiness and spiciness that it can easily become overwhelming. Personally, while I can appreciate how different this brew is, I'm not sure if I enjoy it.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Ever had a shot of hot sauce? Did you enjoy the lingering taste in your mouth? If not, this might not be the beer for you. In terms of drinkability, I'm not sure if I can even finish one.

I'm confused. I had this beer a year or two ago and I don't remember it being anywhere near this overwhelming. Maybe I got a bad batch? I have no idea.

08-01-2008 03:06:27 | More by beabear
rootbeerman

2.73/5  rDev -23.5%

Picked this beer up as a fathers day gift along with a few other brew. I lucky got to split this with my dad.

Appearance: Poured brown, very thin head minimal lacing..

Smell: Smoked, chipotle and a certain sweetness i cant place

Taste: As with smell its smoke, a slight pepper bite on the first sip
with a lingering heat that is getting hotter as i drink it.

Mouthfeel: full bodied

Drinkability: only one i will drink probably couldn't finish a bomber by myself

06-27-2009 03:35:59 | More by rootbeerman
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

2.73/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured the bottle into my mexican ceramic beer glass, in honour of their dedication... Because the glass in opaque, it appears somewhat like a normal ale, with a thick lasting head which remains stuck to the edge of the glass.

It smells nice, mainly a sweet maltly aroma with a whiff of that promised chipotle. I am intrigued...

Upon trying this I am no longer quite so intrigued. Reminds me of the time I added chipotle and habanero to some vodka, interesting idea but not much I could drink it with. It tastes like a thin beer without much carbonation that is smoky. Clearly there are chipotles in the beer, but the beer offers nothing beyond it. Maybe I am wrong in reviewing it in comparison by other beers, but I find it to be having no great beeryness to it... I don't read reviews first, and had decided on what I would do and then saw the Bros highly reviewed it, that will be my next stop to see why they liked this (to me) highly mediocre beer.

11-19-2009 23:35:29 | More by kjyost
GreenWBush

Oregon

2.75/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

As much as I love Rogue, there was no way I was shelling out $5 for this. I expected Rogue's take on Mexican-style beers ... boy, was I wrong. My friend got one so I had to try it out and review it.

It pours out a lightly gold color that, when examined against the light, almost reveals hints of green. Ugh. The head was average and it left a few rings.

The nose on this one was interesting. There is a mild hoppiness mixed with a slight hint of spiciness. Malt presence isn't at the forefront. I also am presented with something akin to a Mexican restaurant ... hmm ...

Wow. What a strange cacophony of tastes. There is a distinctly dry and bitter hop twang and then a strange sour wave. There is a mild burning sensation on the palate, the first reminder of the chipotle peppers.

Overall I was not too impressed with this beer. It was bought on a whim by a friend and I might have otherwise not tried it. The "best" part of the beer for me was the lingering residual pepper effect. The further and further you got down on the pint you'd notice a slight heat in your stomach rising upwards. Could be dangerous for those with heartburn issues. I would like to try this with some Spanish or Mexican cuisine, however.

02-29-2004 18:05:13 | More by GreenWBush
soulfly967

2.75/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This one poured a dark amber with hints of red throughout. A very light brown, somewhat tan head formed that held on for a bit, then fell to a film leaving some lacing. The smell was of some smoke, lightly roasted malts, chili peppers and some hops. The taste was sweetish and malty at the front, with some hops at the finish and only a faint showing of smoked peppers, very disappointing. The mouthfeel was fairly smooth and medium bodied, nothing to write home about. I would have to say that 22oz. was a bit too much of this. I was hoping for a smoke filled, fire breathing trip through Hell, but I did't get it. Oh well, better luck next time.

05-19-2005 04:01:08 | More by soulfly967
CortexBomb

2.75/5  rDev -23%

No idea about how well this bottle will have aged since it's currently nearly the start of fall and this is a spring seasonal.

Pour is blackish tinged golden. Opaque. A modest, 2 mm thick white head sits on top of the beer, and the overall apperance of the ale is rock solid. The smell seems to be mainly malty...there are some light spicy edges, but they really aren't as prominent as I was expecting them to be.

Taste starts out malty, like the nose and that seems to be all there is for a bit, but then the chipotle (hot and spicy) decideds to show up and make its presence felt. The spice isn't absolutely house burning, but it is definitely distinct and strong enough to grab your attention. Swallow is a light bit of hoppy bitters, and then gone with only a lingering hot feel from the chipotle. Not the most depthy taste in the world, but I like the hot sensation and the uniquness of it in my still limited experience with this style of beer is enough to make me like this brew.

The mouth on this is average for beer in general. It's not thick, at all, but it does have some nice sensations courtesy of the chipotle, so it still maintains average. Drinkability, a challenge. This beer is ok when you first pour it, but do not allow it to warm, or nurse it slowly because it seemed to get harder to drink as time went on. I think this would be improved vastly by either sharing the beer (a bomber is probably too much of this flavour for one person) or by pairing with a similarly aggressive food.

Overall, this might be a gimmick, but it seems to work, for about the first 1/2 of the bottle at least. Best split with someone else, or paired with very spicy food.

08-30-2006 01:05:08 | More by CortexBomb
marcpal

2.75/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pint poured on tap at Publick House into American pint glass. Intrigued by this, thought I would like. Wrong.

A: Another apple juice looking drink. Slight head and too much bubbles.

N: Spice and smoke were there, with some malt background. No bitterness or hops in the aroma.

T: Chipotle definitely present, almost reminded me of a bloody mary sting. Not enjoyable in a beer, not here at least. The taste came off as a bit hokey and not naturally built off the base of the beer.

M: A bit rich, spices dont marry well. Too much carbonation to balance out.

D: I guess if your up for spices or what not, you may like but it doesnt come across well. First beer from Rogue I found undrinkable. Just not my cup o tea.

06-17-2008 12:48:51 | More by marcpal
mugglesandhops

Oklahoma

2.78/5  rDev -22.1%

On tap at the Rogue brew pub in Newport.

This is my first "spiced" beer I have ever tried and The only reason I even got this is to try all the Rogues I have never tried. I was not impressed at all by this one. Poured a red color with a good 2 finger head on it. Pepper comes out in the nose right away and that's pretty much all im pulling out of this one. Taste as it smells, very peppery, very spicy especially in the end...good med. bodied feel to it. I will not drink this again.

12-11-2008 22:38:44 | More by mugglesandhops
CHSLBrew

2.78/5  rDev -22.1%

Bomber poured into a pint glass, shared with a friend.

A-Orange -amber beer with a white head on top, slowly receding to a thin layer.

S-The smell is overwhelmed by chipotle peppers. That's pretty much it.

T-As with the smell, chipotle peppers hijack this beer's flavor. Other beer characters are largely covered by the peppers' flavor. A slight heat on the otherwise smokey finish.

M-Medium body with appropriate carbonation.

D-I did not care for this beer. I think the pepper flavors were too prominent, which left no room for other beer flavors to represent. An interesting beer to try, but I won't be trying this one again in the future.

01-04-2009 21:57:31 | More by CHSLBrew
Justin23060

A - Slight head that disappeared to ice tea foam. Cloudy orange ice tea color
S - Sweet malt. Not as much chipotle smell as I was expecting. Slight pleasant leather that turned into unpleasant medicated bandade.
Taste is dominated by smokey chipoltle. Smoke is of mild rauchbier. Starts sweet end semi dry. Nice linger.
M - Adequate
O - Not super impressed by this one. The smoke was nice but the bandaid really killed it for me. Probably won't get this again, and can really recommend it in good conscience.

11-18-2012 04:23:20 | More by Justin23060
hiikeeba

2.8/5  rDev -21.6%

A - pours up hazy light brown with a thick head with big bubbles that dissipates slowly

S - Smells of fruit, some citrus hop aroma

T - Sweet malt with a hint of raisin flavor. No chipotle flavor. Some heat in the back of my throat a minute or two after swallowing. It slowly--slowly-- spread around my mouth.

M - Nothing to write home about. It's not thin and it's not thick.

D - The heat is a nice tingle, but I expected more smoke. Too raisiny for my taste.

12-29-2007 23:03:59 | More by hiikeeba
DocJitsu

2.8/5  rDev -21.6%

Pours a clear golden copper with an eggshell colored, foamy head. Average head retention with some foamy lacing. Lemon zest, chili pepper, and plastic aromas. Orange notes, smokiness, and an unpleasant plastic flavor. Drinks like a Märzen. Mouthfeel is smooth and soft until the finish, which brings a fine sandpaper-like scrubbing. The faintest capsicum burn on the back of the throat. This is not a great beer. Certainly not Rogue's best effort. Lots of optimism in the idea though.

04-18-2012 02:26:14 | More by DocJitsu
TheBeerWolf

Nevada

2.83/5  rDev -20.7%

I have to say I was a bit disappointed after reading the reviews here then actually drinking one of these. I was expecting to have something that would either be pretty vile or pretty dang tasty to me since I do like chilis and spicy food. Well I did not get either really. It pours a nice yellow with a bit of a red hue and a slightly white head that laces pretty quickly. The smell to me was a bit like fermented fruit with just a hint of smokiness in the background. The taste was what kind of let me down but not in a horrible way. It ended being so average to me, I was expecting to either be wowed or just grossed out by something that tasted too much like peppers. I don't know maybe I'm crazy but it just tasted like a very average thin ale with just a tiny hint of smokiness in the background. The immediate aftertaste is just the smokiness but after a while if you let it sit on your tongue I get a hint of burnt chili seeds. It was not too bad for me getting through the one bomber but I gave it a 2.5 on drinkability because I could definately imagine it turning off alot of people and just left me pretty unimpressed either way. Not horrible or anything but I don't think I would buy another one. I cracked open a Stone Pale Ale after drinking this one and that just tasted soooo good after drinking this stuff.

09-08-2006 13:02:32 | More by TheBeerWolf
BoozySmurf

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

Served on tap at the Blue Dog, this arrived in a pint glass with a tiny collar of white foam atop clear amber. Smell was of an american brown ale: nutty, sweet aroma with citrus hop notes (cascades)? Initially the taste was similar with a good mix of caramel sweet maltiness and bitter hops, but the taste changed to that of the chipotle. It was a smoky barbeque type taste, and only minimal heat from capcaesin. Mouthfeel was light-bodied and seemed appropriate for what I'm guessing was a 5% ABV beer, give or take 0.2%. I drank it quickly, but more so to get it over with.

Note: Interesting flavor, but I doubt I'll revisit this style any time soon. I am fond of hot sauce and tobasco has long since replaced ketchup on my scrambled eggs, but it doesn't seem to work well with this beer, and the aftertaste was annoying.

11-14-2006 22:52:37 | More by BoozySmurf
MattBrooks

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

Well, I've been a fan of Rogue beers for many years, so I expected a little more from this ale. It made me almost nervous that it was made with chipotle peppers; but it really didn't have an overly spicy taste. The "hotness" shows up on the finish a little. It is clean, and pure...and that's classic Rogue style, but the body was also light and a tad simple. It would be easy to pound a few of these; that is, if you like peppers.

06-09-2007 18:25:46 | More by MattBrooks
sleazo

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

Bottle purchased from Union Square Trader Joes.

A-Orange brown and cloudy when poured into a tall thin mug. Nice four finger head has some serious staying power.

S-the nose on this is very bready and there is a nice NW hop profile as well. If i did not know the beer had chilis in it I probably would not be able to discern that quality. As is I do detect a faint spice.

T-This tastes more like a brown ale or a light pale ale. I really do not taste the chipotles at all here. Some nice malt up front followed by a lingering bitterness. After going through about half of this there is a mild spice sting in the back of my throat.

M-light body, light carbonation.

D-I was expecting more out of this as I love both Rogue and Chipotle peppers. I was hoping this could be an Ingredient in my chili as the chipotle should have added to the effect. This is basically a dumbed down Rogue offering.

06-18-2007 02:17:43 | More by sleazo
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color with a short foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malts, chipotle peppers and some hops.

T: The taste is very malty and a lot sweeter than I expected. The chipotle pepper flavor is merely in the background and doesn't overpower you. The hops presence is decent, but between the hearty malt character and the heat of the chipotles the hops are phased out. The after-taste is slightly smoky.

M: Smooth with a little crispness, medium body, medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish.

D: A little tasty, goes down ok, slightly filling, while this beer is more drinkable than most beers of the style that try to burn your mouth, I believe this might be a much better beer to cook with than to drink.

07-11-2007 03:28:15 | More by TheManiacalOne
taxguyjase

New Mexico

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance - A beautiful rich amber. A decent amount of head - looks pretty carbonated. 4.0/5.0

Smell - You can get a hint of the pepper, but that's all - just a hint. The malt dominates the nose. I really was hoping for a slightly more dominate chipotle smell, but didn't get it. - 2.5/5.0

Taste - Mostly malt, and kinda sweet. You can detect a slight pepper burn, but it's really mild. For a chile beer, I expect a stronger flavor than what I got. The Sierra Blanca Pancho Verde is on the other end of the spectrum, being an almost overly strong green chile taste. Some smoke as well. - 3.0/5.0

Feel - Coats the mouth well, with a bit of pepperly aftertaste. 4.0/5.0

Drinkability - Given the style, I'll pass on it. While I enjoyed it, it's not what I would have expected from a beer whose style is focused on the chile. 2.0/5.0

06-16-2010 02:21:26 | More by taxguyjase
GatheringBrews

Vermont

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours a dark, copper color with a slightly off white head.

Aroma is smoked pepper and a small bit of malt.

Taste is a medium bodied amber ale overwhelmed a bit by the smoke of the pepper.

The mouthfeel is a bit over dry.

Finish has smoke, which seems to pervade the beer from start to finish. Just not my thing.

01-06-2011 03:09:31 | More by GatheringBrews