Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
3.57/5  rDev +0.3%

A- Pours a golden honey color with a thick cream colored head...decent retention and some nice lacing...

S- Some bready malts, but smokiness and what I can only describe as chipotle peppers in adobo sauce seem to dominate...

T- As it smells, yet maltiness is even more subdued in comparison to the chipotle and smoke...just a hint of spice, but this is by no means a 'spicy' beer...flavors definitely linger on the palate

M- Light bodied, but a little thin...decent carbonation

D- An interesting brew to say the least...for the style, definitely one of the better ones I've had, yet it seems to be missing something (maybe more heat, maybe heavier mouthfeel...just something more) Nonetheless, this is a unique brew that is worth a shot

3.57/5  rDev +0.3%

smells malty with a trace of piny hops and a definite note of peppers.

looks like a medium-pale ale, with a nice amberish gold cover and a half-finger head. tastes like a malty sort of ale, and hot damn, they weren't kidding about jalapeños, this stuff is spicy (but not unpleasantly so.)

considering the spiciness (and the weirdness) of it, I found it quite drinkable. the palate was timid and inoffensive, neatly balancing out the strong and unusual flavor.

good beer, but probably too weird for me to drink again under my own steam.

3.57/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber to nonic pint glass.

A: Amber in color, thin head, slight lacing.

S: Jalapeno, Honey, some Hops.

T: Slight hop bitterness, good warm chipotle finish that lingers for a bit.

M: Light carbonation.

O: Decent pepper beer, certainly drinkable. not overly spicy.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

22oz bottle, in advance of some spicy homemade Kung Pao chicken, this seems to be a more than appropriate aperitif.

This beer pours a hazy medium bronzed orange hue, with two fingers of foamy, bubbly off-white head, which leaves some layered storm cloud lace around the glass as things slowly ebb away.

It smells rather smoky, very peat-like, with some singed jalapeno pepper oil, bready caramel malt, dry field honey, and herbal, leafy hops. The taste is much the same up front, the smoky, husky essence of campfire mated with moderately spicy vegetable matter, which quickly gives way to a pleasantly supportive bready, caramel malt, and some plain bruised apple fruitiness. Simple, and yet enjoyable.

The carbonation is quite laid back, just a middling frothiness, the body barely south of medium weight and generally smooth, the smoked hot peppers strangely having little bearing here. It finishes off-dry, with a strong reminder of the peppery smoke that started this whole show.

An interesting blend of chili flavour, Scotch-like peat, and well balanced amber ale. Not a particularly sessionable offering, to be truthful, what with there being all that oft-mentioned smoke, rather than spice, from the guest ingredient.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a clear, amber hue, with a white head, that holds for a few minutes and falls to a single layer of bubbles. Chipotle smokiness is present in the mostly malty aroma. A pretty standard amber ale, with caramel malt flavors and spicy hops. A bit papery in the middle; oxidized perhaps, or maybe just the effect of adding chiles to the beer. With a fairly bitter finish. Just a touch of Chipotle flavor and a just a hint of heat in the finish. I expected a little more heat and a little more smokiness. Would probably go well with some Mexican food, but on its own the chile flavor is a bit odd.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

This was an oddball beer choice that I made when I was in the mood for something "different". I poured it at cellar temperature into a pint glass.

The color was a reddish-orange, with a small head that quickly went away. Smell hinted at the smokey pepper flavor that was to come. It was actually fairly spicy, although not as much as a boilermaker spiked with Tobasco. The distinct smokey chipotle flavor was there, as well as a little hoppiness, too.

I enjoyed it, but it is not my usual beer experience. A style of its own, I think.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

appearance: The pour gives a short, light khaki head that gradually falls back to a ring and a thin layer. The beer is an orange-amber in color.

smell: Moderate nuances of smoked chipotle pepper dominate with some toasted, caramel type malts hiding behind. That's pretty much it...no hops readily found.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is just above medium, and the body light but not thin.

taste: The same smoked chipotle from the aroma dominates the flavor. Some malts are present, but hard to pick out behind the pepper. Light pricks of teasing heat are felt after the swallow. Hop presence is at a minimum, which is probably for the best.

drinkability: eh, not a bad beer but half a bottle would be plenty...interesting, though. I could see this chipotle translating well into a porter.

single bottle from Peace Street Market, Raleigh

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

Have never really heard much of this chipotle ale until now, and even though Rogue has a good track record with their line, I still get a small shudder when I think of chile pepper beers, thanks to Crazy Ed's. But one must move on from such traumas...

Came in a 22 oz. brown bomber, predominantly red and white colour motif on the label. It pours out red as well, only turning to a dark amber/deep copper hue with a bit of a haze when held to the light. Tall spongy off-white head on the pour, but it settles fairly quickly.

A smoky quality on the nose, that of tanned hide and of what can only be the smoked jalapenos mentioned on the side of the bottle's label. Can't really pick out anything beyond that.

There's a rich caramel malt buried under it all there, but it is easily overwhelmed by a weathered and worn leather flavour at the start, a bit peaty even, moving to a smoked and a bit charred sensation, and finishing with a spicy zing of jalepeno which adds sensation to the lips and tongue as well. I even start to feel a warming sensation and a bit of spicy rumblings in my stomach after a while. More faded leather on the aftertaste, accompanied by the numbing sensation on the lips. A beer you won't forget any time soon, I have a feeling it's going to follow me around the rest of the evening in one way or another. Only when the bottle is already half emptied do I finally start to pick up on some subtle hop content as well, the unmistakable grapefruit rind of Cascade, but really more of a cheerleader on the sidelines in this beer, rather than in your face. Perhaps that's what is helping to balance out and tone down the chiles in this ale, as I expected them to be rampaging, and not as well-mannered as they actually are.

Great mouthfeel, full and smooth, really carries the flavour well, I can easily see this stuff being a flop if it were weak and watery.

In the end there's definitely chiles, yes, but it's also leathery as well, I haven't come across that sort of flavour since a few Fish Tales beers I had sampled before. A mighty fine ale all things considered, they did an excellent job, the craftsmanship is there, but when all is said and done it's not my cup of tea (or other brewed beverage). A sipping beer, definitely, and would go great paired with red meat off the grill, or really with anything that involves salsa. I'd save this stuff more for autumn and winter days as well, NOT something I'd grab to quench on a hot day.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

A: Pours a nice clear copper color with a thin layer of head. Dissipates fairly quickly and doesn't leave much lacing.

S: Not much of a smell. A little bit of malt and smoke, but not much.

T: The malt hits you first with some sweetness, followed by some hints of smoke. The pepper flavor comes out the end, but isn't dominating or overpowering. It's subtle but present. I found it interesting that some sips of this beer that I took were better than others. A few sips had a really nice hops/pepper finish to them that was quite tasty.

M: Smooth, felt a little thin, but overall not bad. Good carbonation.

D: For me, this is an occasional beer. It's tasty, but not something I'd want all the time. Definitely worth a try though.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours hazy orange-brown. Good head, little bit of lacing.

Nothing stands out in particular in the aroma, mostly malty sweetness is noticable. Taste is up front maltiness. Sweet but with a small hopiness and smoky flavor following it up. The heat isn't that noticable but you can feel a bit of a bite in your throat after a few sips.

I didn't know what to expect coming into this beer, but it definitely wasn't bad. Not something I would revisit regularly, but worth a try at the least.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

It's taco night, so it seemed an appropriate time to try this.

Pours an amber color with good clarity, some bubbles slowly rising to the top and about two fingers of fluffy light beige head. Looks a lot like a pale ale if you didn't know better, and the retention is pretty good with a nice lace and some stick.

Smells a bit like a pale ale too, with some fruity hops and some malt sweetness. There's a spicy note to it but it's not that strong or out of the ordinary.

There's a bit more peppery flavor and heat in the flavor than the smell. Pale malt sweetness and some fruity hops are met by a bit of spicy heat and a smoky flavor midway through and into the finish. It's mild enough to not be bothersome, but rather adds a pleasant and unique flavor. Heat picks up a bit as it warms.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, appropriately carbonated. This is definitely a bit of a novelty beer and not something I'd have very often, but I'd have it again if the mood struck me right.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

A - Pretty, somewhat murky caramel, nice large off white head that reduces to disk pretty quick. Lots of cling lace.

S - Smoked pepper dominates this sucker. I love pepper and use smoked pepper ground up for all kinds of stuff, so I should like this. Oddly, I am not sure I do.

T - Malt and smoked pepper are married equally. Again, it was fun to try, but maybe not my deal.

M - Good bodyand carb, balance pretty good considering the goal here.

D - Not for me. Fun to try, but for me, probably better to use for cooking.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper color with a frothy head that hangs around as a thick ringlet while depositing all kinds of lacing around the glass

Smell: Mellow smoked aroma wafts up from that malty base; a vague whiff of canned chipotles en adobo as well

Taste: Malty backbone is quickly subsumed by the smoked chili flavor; the heat builds on the tongue with each sip and eventually becomes the only distinctive flavor

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: This would be a fun novelty in a 12 oz. bottle; in a bomber, it is a tough beer to finish

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a nice abmber colour with a thin slightly off-white head. Aroma's fairly weak, some sweet caramel malt and some peppery spice, hinting at the chipotle, and "grilled meat"? (that's the only way I can describe it. A campfire smokiness comes out later as it warms. The taste is dominated by sweet buttery malt and bbq like smokiness. Not picking up much heat at all except for an underlying peppery spice. Average body and carbonation, nothing to write home about but not disappointing. This has been my first foray into this fringe style, but I was expecting a bit more heat. However, while an entire bomber may be a bit much for one sitting, I may pick up another for cooking purposes.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

22 ounce bomber poured into a pint glass.

Poured with a nice 1 1/2 finger white frothy head that reduced to a nice cap. Left lacing ring with each drink. Color was a hazy light orange.

I actually smelled and tasted more maltiness then pepper. I've had other chile beers that were more spicy and had a little more heat. With this beer you are getting more of the flavor and smoke of the chipotle, and not much of the pepper / heat. I was hoping and expecting for a little more.

Had a nice medium body and good carbonation. No hop presence and as mentioned before, the sweet maltiness shined through on this more than the chipotle.

Decent beer, but I probably wouldn't buy again.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured from bomber bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark, rust orange in colour with about a finger of slightly off-white head that disappears after a few moments.

S: Nose is mainly of malt, with faint smoke scents in the background.

T: Strong malt flavour, with some spiciness up front, followed by a dry finish which holds the smokiness and slight bit of fresh, hot pepper.

M: Felt kinda thin to be honest.

D/O: Pretty enjoyable beer. The smokiness and pepper make it worthwhile.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

This was good but I wasn't wow'ed. Pours an amber color with a small off white head. The aromas on the nose were very faint although you do pick up slight notes of hops, smoke and peppers. The chipolte comes through subtely just adding a littel smokiness that is balanced with hops and malts. Overall good but not great

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

I poured this into a pint glass

A - Slightly cloudy with a decent slightly reddish color.

S - I didn't notice anything outstanding other than some hops. Nothing really jumped out at me.

T - This was pretty decent. I was worried it would be a little too spicy or have a flavor I didn't like. It tasted like a decent ale with a little bit of a bite. I wouldn't know the reason for the bite if I didn't read the label, but it was decent.

M - Again, the slight bite was the most noticeable thing to me. Mostly on the sides of my tongue, it felt nice. Nothing bad about this one.

D - I could have a few of these. Of beers similar in style, this is probably about average. If I had to buy it, I would probably settle for a beer a little lighter on the wallet but with similar taste. This isn't a beer I would go out and buy a case of, but if my buddy offered it to me I'd have no problem drinking it.

3.59/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a beautiful clear red with about one generous finger of head dissapating rapidly to leave a fine lace across the surface of the ale,barely clinging to the sides of my tulip.

Quickly a pungent mesquite malt aroma yeilds to smoked chilis, reminicent of pepper-jack cheese.

Green vegetal, artichoke taste into smoked red-pepper with a grassy, slightly floral finish.

Somewhat thin bodied with a punch of chili-heat that is effectively accentuated by mild carbonation.

An interesting offering from the "Brewers on the Bay". This ale would pair well with Latin or Cajun seafood dishes. Definitely drinkable, I wish there were a few more ounces in my glass.

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

This is one of those beers on the shelf at the distributor that I've been putting away for the right moment, like when I just wanted to try something wacky. I'm a big fan of all things spicy and of course, of beer but I find myself a bit unsure whether this will be a good beer experience or not.
Color is very interesting, reddish and visibly highly carbonated with the tint becoming clearly darker at the top. Head is thin but creamy and lasting. Body is close to opaque. Nose is fairly faint with some muted hops and a backround of something that might be peppers.
Wow, after the mildness of the scent, the blast of smoky flavors in the taste is a surprise. Not really hot, but certainly flavorful. Finish is surprisingly clean and crisp. This is definitely an original ale. The aftertaste is fairly strong as well.
Interesting stuff. Not for everyday drinking but still, a nice solid ale with a touch of hot peppers..ooh, let me go get some pepper jack, sweeeet.. Do you like peppers? If so, you'll probably like this.

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured into a Schell tulip from a 22oz. bomber. Color is of dark iced tea, with a small white bubbly head that melts down to a small island of foam in the middle of the beer. I had a bottle of rogue smoke ale last week and it smells about the same, smoke. Taste is definitely of smoke for most of the sip, but leaves a chipotle tang at the end. Not anything I would call spicy (I use Tabasco at least 2 meals a day). Much better than Rogue's Smoke Ale, but nothing I would get ever again. Worth a try, though.

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

Appearance: Poured from the bomber into a pint glass. A strange murky brownish-red color with a nice off white two finger head that slowly dissipates. Unique looking beer.

Smell: Lightly hopped up front but then fading into a more classic beery aroma. Chipotle peppers are not as evident as I thought they would be. You really have to dig to get the aroma of them, and all you're left with really is a slight stinging sensation in the nostrils. Odd.

Taste: Not as spicy or different than I expected. Comes across at first as lightly to moderately hoppy then getting stronger in the hop department going down. A slight burning sensation remains in the mouth and throat after a pretty clean finish. Peppery character comes across faintly towards the middle, but you really have to be looking for it or you'll miss it. Good beer, but slightly disappointing.

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

A- So this is one of those beers that you always see, but are kinda afraid of...I took my chances today....The beer poured a clear dark amber color with some orangish tints. The head was a 1/6 of an inch and left a white lace around the glass.
S- Smokey, spicy. The chili pepper is definitely predominant. There is also a very mild sweetness....it really reminds me of some kind of hot sauce, but not quite as spicy.
T- the pepper hits at the tip of the tongue, and in the finish. The body is rounded out with some sweet malts(which at first appear to balance the flavor), but then the chili kicks back in. There is a long lingering after taste of chili pepper....and some times even salsa.
M/D- The ale is medium bodied, medium to low carbonation...It is an interesting beer, and as I sit here with it I can really appreciate it, but it is definitely not something that I would drink very often. I has taken me a really long time to finish this bomber....its a slow drinker.

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

Rouge's Chipotle Ale poured a hazy amber color, with a good size head that went away rather quickly. It had a smell of cooked peppers, and I found it just offensive. The taste was heavy, full, and had a spicey note to it. It was rather easy to drink. Overall a very interesting beer, and a very good beer, gets better the more you drink it; a must try.

3.61/5  rDev +1.4%

Mexicali pours with a modest finely-carbonated white head, over deep golden, slightly hazy liquid. Nose is a bit of lightweight malt with a light note of sulphur. Tastes malty at first, with a very slight smokiness from the Chipotle peppers, then a nice although quite subtle heat is felt in the throat, subsiding quickly. Finishes a bit weaker than I remember (it's been a year or two since I last tasted it) it used to have a bigger flavor to it, but still is a unique departure in the Light Ale catagory.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales