Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev +2%

A: Pours an orangish amber color with. Small head that dissipated quickly
S: Smell is smoky and slighlty malty
T: Taste is peppery, smokey. Tastes like chipolte jack cheese
M: Mild to moderate amount of carbonation
D: Interesting beer, would go very good with a good cheese.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Appearance: amber-hued body with a thinnish, near white head. decent lacing.

Smell: toasty amber malts, nice smokey aromas

Taste: wow, nice and smokey, but low heat. I was expecting more pepper heat on the backend and through throat. disappointe din that.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body.

Drinkability: decent beer, could have used more heat. Ot's a chili beer!

Drunk from a pint-glass, on-tap at Rogue Ale House

Hate/love tasting of this brew

A - Nice and dark, brownish

S - Peppery

T - Goes in like a dark ale, porter, half-stout; then peppers kick in, nice sensation, but then just ramming the buds like a tabasco kick. A bit much, but I looked forward to another sip, though I knew it wouldnt be for a bit.

D - Slow drinking brew. Definitely not a consecutive brew for my taste, but enjoyable. Worth a try.

I would be curious as to the ABV on this one (above it says "?")

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Oh wow. I was really impressed with this one, not knowing what to expect, really. It poured a bit darker than I was thinking it would. Slightly cloudy medium bronze orange colour with a slightly off-white head that went away pretty quickly. Smell is mostly sweet malts and smoke. Taste is more of the same, with very little hot pepper presence. Only a very slight tingle, and that's kind of hit or miss. Sometimes it's present, and sometimes not. Actually, there is a slight heat that's noticeable many seconds after you swallow your sip. Quite smooth and drinkable. Very impressive, for what it is. I'd definately buy this again. Nice job, Rogue.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Poured from bomber bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark, rust orange in colour with about a finger of slightly off-white head that disappears after a few moments.

S: Nose is mainly of malt, with faint smoke scents in the background.

T: Strong malt flavour, with some spiciness up front, followed by a dry finish which holds the smokiness and slight bit of fresh, hot pepper.

M: Felt kinda thin to be honest.

D/O: Pretty enjoyable beer. The smokiness and pepper make it worthwhile.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

This was good but I wasn't wow'ed. Pours an amber color with a small off white head. The aromas on the nose were very faint although you do pick up slight notes of hops, smoke and peppers. The chipolte comes through subtely just adding a littel smokiness that is balanced with hops and malts. Overall good but not great

3.63/5  rDev +2%

I poured this into a pint glass

A - Slightly cloudy with a decent slightly reddish color.

S - I didn't notice anything outstanding other than some hops. Nothing really jumped out at me.

T - This was pretty decent. I was worried it would be a little too spicy or have a flavor I didn't like. It tasted like a decent ale with a little bit of a bite. I wouldn't know the reason for the bite if I didn't read the label, but it was decent.

M - Again, the slight bite was the most noticeable thing to me. Mostly on the sides of my tongue, it felt nice. Nothing bad about this one.

D - I could have a few of these. Of beers similar in style, this is probably about average. If I had to buy it, I would probably settle for a beer a little lighter on the wallet but with similar taste. This isn't a beer I would go out and buy a case of, but if my buddy offered it to me I'd have no problem drinking it.

22 oz. bomber, poured into a Duvel tulip,

A: Dark red-brown with a medium white head.

S: Smells of bready malt, with a hint of chipotle peppers.

T: Big caramel malt, the chipotle peppers are subtle and not over-the-top, making their main appearance as some slight capsaicin warming at the end of the sip.

M: Smooth, medium-bodied, spicy.

D: A good beer, would go well with Mexican food, I would have liked a little more robustness in the pepper aspect of this beer, but overall it was a good experience and I'm glad I tried it, and with this one revisited it.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Bomber poured into my favorite bomber-sized glass.

A nice head formed, which took a while to settle, eventually with no lace. Initially very murky, yet no visible yeast deposits; a beautiful red color, but it never cleared up. I like murky beers, but not consistently murky beers and not when it's unexplainable.

The nose was interesting--I expected more chipotle, but that was subtle and balanced by some expected and some unexpected hints, including a faint medicinal scent and some magic marker--but not much. Oddly, the nose, for me anyway, was mixed to the point that it was hard to pick out particular scents. It smelled like ale, but mysteriously, and I liked that. Like all Rogue flavored beers, a general synthetic nose was present, but less so than in other offerings (which I have not liked).

The taste was strange--because it was not that strange. I'm not sure how this beer could get bad reviews. It's not that great, but it's not over-the-top, like the chicory Dogfish Head, IMO one of the worst beers I've ever had. In fact, I like this better than the other Rogue flavored beers, including those which are lauded by BA reviewers. If anything, I would have liked more heat promised by the title, and I think it would have been better with more hops.

The mouthfeel was poor--the carbonation is too much like soda. That, to me, interferes with its drinkability as well.

Unlike most novelty beers, I'm glad I tried this one. If it were cheaper, I'd try it again, but there are so many outstanding bombers available for just $1 more in Columbus (this was $4), like Hop Rod Rye, the Avery barleywine ... yeah, especially those two. I'm glad a Rogue flavor bomber finally came through for me.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

A: Reddish copper, thin layer of patchy head - 4.00, S: Subtle smoke on the nose along with the zest of the jalapenos, very earthy aroma, hops are hard to discern but a hearty malt backing is apparent, a more pleasant smell than I would generally expect from a chile beer - 4.00, T: A medium malt base, definite heat but far from overpowering, a very veggie quality to the beer, some hop bite on the tail - 3.50, M: Medium bodied - 3.50, D: Chile beers certainly aren't a some draw to me, but this one is reasonable to the point of making it quite drinkable - 3.50

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

22oz bottle served chilled. Pours a hazy, burnt orange color, with an offwhite head that fades quickly. Only a few patches of lace were left on the glass. Aroma was very subdued for a Rogue. Sweet caramel dominated the nose, with just a hint of fruitiness and some smoke. Mouthfeel was actively carbonated with some mild hop bite and a slight twang of pepper bite. Taste featured the caramel malt sweetness, with a balance provided by sparing use of the westcoast hops. I could detect a mild, smoky chili flavor of the chipotle peppers, but they're in the background. Very well balanced, overall, and very drinkable. I think this one would be better with a more assertive pepper presence.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Clear auburn brew underneath an lightly peach-yellow tinted head. Head is large and fluffy initially and promptly fades to an 1/8," edged by clumpy lace piles. Aroma is like smoked earth mixed with root veggies, butterscotch, musky floral, caramel, and dank leather. Taste has a touch of prickly spice (nothing comparable to eating fresh, hot jalapeños), among more earthy, smoky, and even slightly meaty flavors. A bit of sour acidity is interesting as it offsets the slick, slippery malts. Body is moderate in size and texture is pleasant and simple. The jalapeño adds an enjoyable warming quality. On yet another occasion, I am discovering that hot peppers enhance alcoholic beverages. Easy to drink, refreshing and roasty.

This would probably be good with some Mexican food.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Mexicali pours with a modest finely-carbonated white head, over deep golden, slightly hazy liquid. Nose is a bit of lightweight malt with a light note of sulphur. Tastes malty at first, with a very slight smokiness from the Chipotle peppers, then a nice although quite subtle heat is felt in the throat, subsiding quickly. Finishes a bit weaker than I remember (it's been a year or two since I last tasted it) it used to have a bigger flavor to it, but still is a unique departure in the Light Ale catagory.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

From a 650 mL bottle, I pour some Chipotle Ale into a pint glass. This presents a rusty red body with a brief white head. My nostrils are not set aflame by smelling it and I'm taking that as a good sign since I'm on Prilosec and all. Pepper presence is quite faint in the aroma; hops are more pronounced here.

No matter how much I've read about chile beers, I couldn't imagine how something like this would really taste. That's pretty much why I bought this stuff in the first place; it piqued my curiosity. Now I have a better idea:

At first I couldn't even detect it. Then, after a few sips, it was there. Like it says on the bottle, this beer is *delicately spiced* with smoked jalapeño (i.e. chipotle) peppers. So I start to pick up said spice in the usual areas of the tongue as well as said smokiness. I also notice that my lips are feeling it too and are a little parched by the experience, as usual when I have something spicy.

I think Rogue has the right level of heat here, balancing almost perfectly with the sweetness of the malts they use. The heat from the peppers is high enough that it's noticeable but not too high that it dominates the flavor profile and razes your taste buds. Not only would it pair well with Mexican food, but I also think it would do well with some good chocolate. Yes, I would like another but not too many.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

poured into pint glass from 22 oz bottle, shared with buddy.
bright red with brown tinge; small head quickly subsided and no real lacing. sweet spicy and almost clove quality to the smell - chipotle's def noticable. sweet and 'warm' taste, spicy peppers with a long, dry finish which allows the hops to emerge slowly. light-bodied with a flash of spice and a subsequent nice raw dryness on the palate.
frankly, i didn't expect a chili beer to be so balanced.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance: Poured from the bomber into a pint glass. A strange murky brownish-red color with a nice off white two finger head that slowly dissipates. Unique looking beer.

Smell: Lightly hopped up front but then fading into a more classic beery aroma. Chipotle peppers are not as evident as I thought they would be. You really have to dig to get the aroma of them, and all you're left with really is a slight stinging sensation in the nostrils. Odd.

Taste: Not as spicy or different than I expected. Comes across at first as lightly to moderately hoppy then getting stronger in the hop department going down. A slight burning sensation remains in the mouth and throat after a pretty clean finish. Peppery character comes across faintly towards the middle, but you really have to be looking for it or you'll miss it. Good beer, but slightly disappointing.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a chill-hazed golden amber in color with an off-white fluffy head that eventually settles to a consistent surface covering. Aroma is light with some sweetness combined with (really light) hints of smoke and chilies (chipotles!). Mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth and medium-bodied. Some fruitiness upfront that merges with a nice malty characteristic. Midway through the influences of the chipotles can be detected, albeit lightly. Neither the smokiness nor use of chilies permeates the beer thoroughly, but its presence is subtle enough to be detected and steer the flavor of this golden ale into an intriguing direction.

Not as spectacular as other Rogue offerings but in the right time and place it has its moments. I enjoyed mine with spicy enchiladas and Mexicali Rogue was a fine companion to put out the flames from the chili sauce.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

I picked this bomber up at Brewer's on the Bay: a 22 oz. brown bottle with no freshness or best by date that I could find it.

The beer poured a slightly cloudy copperish red with a 1/4" or so of off whte, large bubbled head. The head retained pretty well and left some fine lacing on the glass. The beer smelled uniquely smokey with some maltiness as well. The flavor was smokey too. The beer has some maltiness to it at first with a very slight spiciness to the finish to as well. A unique flavored beer for sure.

It's a medium bodied beer that boasts of a nice crispness without a overly filling mouthfeel and a seemingly low alcohol content (I couldn't find the ABV for this one anywhere), which combined with the taste make it a pretty drinkable ale. A good beer for this category, and I would return to it if the moment or the desire strikes.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

My first chili ale, I assumed this would be an interesting concoction. The color is a hazy copper with good carbonation and creamy head. The aroma consists of a mild malty sweetness joined by a stronger element of the spicy and somewhat smokey chipotle. The taste is very interesting and complex. A sip starts with a standard mild malt flavor, but is soon joined by spiciness and mild smokiness. Moderately citrusy hops provide a nice bite. You can definently tastes the peppers, but the flavor isn't overwelmingly spicy. The highlight of this brew is the interplay between the malts and the chipotle towards the middle of a sip. A crisp mouthfeel is also welcomed. Despite enjoying the interesting flavor of this beer, I did get a little tired of the chili flavor by the end of my 22 oz. bottle. Only one of these every now and then would suit me fine.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Burned the devil with this one on 7/22/2004. 16-oz. pour at Redbones in a shaker glass.

Hue was amber to a slight vermilion. Little head to speak of; just a faint skein. Peppery spiciness accentuated by a grotto-like outer roundness to the whole nose gay. Not sure which hot peppers were used in this – chipolte, cascabel, California hybrid, Anaheim, jalapeno, pequin, or serrano – but whatever they were, they fired right through my lips, leaving a scalding trail up my tongue, through the roof of my mouth and up into my skull. And I loved it. There also seemed to be a slight cream edge, like baker’s chocolate. The spice didn’t really catch fire until five or six seconds after each swallow. I was happy that the only other thing I was eating at Redbones on this visit was water, and not their barbecue, because I think that would have been sheer overkill. Overall, this is a medium-bodied offering and one that I would choose to have more than one of if my tongue would allow it. I truly enjoyed this unusual pour, and in the end, it packed no more heat than a few drops of Tabasco.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber. on the side of the bottle, right near the bottom, printed in hard-to-see black ink is "009 B1 1736", whatever that means. tasted in mid-may 2009.

coppery amber and semi-dark honey. clear. 2-finger off-white head is foamy, rocky. fades to wispy layer. great lacing, foamy, and nearly a full curtain further down the glass.

very malty aroma, caramel, hint of apple esters, trace of hop, faint chile pepper tingle. rogue's signature pacman house yeast is pretty easy to pick out.

malty, almost savory flavor continues on the palate. mild hops and gentle chile note seem to mix with the faint fusel or spicy phenols. and the mild to moderate bitterness thus peaks, then lingers. some fruity esters peek through, but the fusel and phenolic note starts to get slightly distracting. sometimes this is the thing about pacman that i'm just not fond of. faint tingle of heat from the chiles.

light to medium body, smooth, with touch of resin and astringency (from phenols?) in finish. moderate carbonation is lightly prickly, but momentarily peaks with the phenols, and at this moment is accentuated a bit over-the-top...

nonetheless, an interesting novelty.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

22oz bottle. Pours a clear light copper with a white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is subdued - some sweet malts and smokey peppers and liquid smoke.

The flavor is some sweet malt quickly followed by a lot of smokey chipotle pepper with some light to moderate heat in the background. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation - slightly watery.

Overall, this is one of the best chili beers I've had. It's pretty moderate in heat, but I really like the flavors of the chipotle and smokiness. It's still pretty one-sided in that it's all about the pepper.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Opened 22 oz bomber bottle, poured into Nonic glass.

Nice off white head forms about 3/4" above top of golden/amber brew.

Smell is of hoppy citrus, but nothing outstanding. Taste is definitely smokey chipotle with a little hoppy bitterness on the finish. It would be awesome if it were just a tad sweeter, but all in all, its a pleasant brew. Very novelty, wouldn't be a regular brew.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle (no date) into a pint glass.

A moderate pour yields a 1/2-finger off-white head that quickly dissipates to a very light dusting and thin foam ring. The body is a hazy honey amber color with very few carbonation bubbles. Light lacing is noticed throughout consumption.

Sweet malts and light, floral hops aromas give way to a spicy pepper overtone. Unfortunately, the aromas are rather muted which makes analysis rather difficult.

Sweet malts start the sip, but a smoky pepper flavor quickly takes over. The pepper is not exactly spicy, but is definitely striking. It definitely has more of a chipotle feel, as the flavor is more earthy and rustic. Honestly, I expected more of a spicy assault than I was given.

Light bodied with strong carbonation, this beer is nearly gulp-worthy and almost thirst-quenching. The combination between the carbonation and the body is fantastic as it creates a great late spring / summer beer that is very pair-able with many cuisines.

While the look of this beer leaves much to be desired, the mouthfeel is superb. The smell is quite lacking and the flavor, while decent, could definitely use more of a bite. While this is probably not a beer I would be clamoring to purchase again, I can understand why some would seek it out.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

I love peppers. I love beer. So why not try them together? My experience with spiced or pepper beers has largely been limited to the famous - or infamous - Cave Creek Chili Beer. I've always had a soft spot for that beer, though it's admittedly gross now that I've moved on to bigger and badder beers. Pours a red bordering on copper. Nice balooning head with some pretty impressive amount of lacing. Moderate carbonation levels. Aroma is all smokey chipotle pepper and not much else. If you're not a fan of the chipotle favor it'll be pretty overwhelming. Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied, with low carbonation. Flavor is smoked chili powder mixed into a red ale. Medium caramel sweetness in the finish with some temperate pepper. This beer would go great with barbecue, like burnt ends or spare ribs. Standing alone it's merely an interesting execution on the pepper beer style, heads and shoulders above Cave Creek but lacking something. Pair something with it - I pulled out some local smoked pepper jack cheese - and it really shines.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales