Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
adamette

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from the 650 ML bottle that I purchased along with 5 other Rogue beers within the past month. Poured into my Dark Horse Brewing Company pint glass. From message written on the side of the bottle: Dedicated to Spanish author Juan de la Cueva, who, in 1575, wrote of a Mexican dish that combined seedless chipotles with ale. This ale is deep amber in color with a rich malty aroma, and delicately spiced with smoked Jalapeno Peppers to give it that extra bite!

A Nice medium brown/amber body under a very light brown creamy, fluffy one inch head after a vigorous pour. Sediment floating about . 4.0

S There is a nice, smoky smoked ham smell in addition to a nice preview of the spice brought on undoubtedly by the peppers. I really like this smell. It is interesting, inviting. 4.5

T I am not sure about this beer. There is an odd rauchbier quality of the smoked aspect to it and the peppers do not come through for me until the aftertaste. The rauchbier quality is not the dynamic, interesting quality of one of the Acht Schlelanka quality but a rather flat quality that I do not like too much. The peppers, which come in at about the aftertaste, are kind of an after thought, only present at the end. Contrast this with DHF Theoromba whose chili tastes are throughout and are much more present. This beer's taste was hard for me to rate but here goes: 3.5

M Minimally smooth feel but mostly this is moderate. There is a bit of bite with the pepper taste in the aftertaste but really it is moderate. I like the feel though. 4.0

D Only fair for me. The odd flatness and rauchbier qualities do not jive well with the pepper aftertaste. I will finish the 22 ounces but will most likely not seek this one out again. 3.0

11-26-2009 02:58:14 | More by adamette
FLima

Brazil

3.69/5  rDev +3.4%

I did not get the fact that in the ingredients it mentions Chipotle, but in the description Jalapeños, but they are completely different.
Amber color with a small head with a medium retention.
Aroma of chipotles, but not aggressive, with hints of floral hops and sweet malts on the background.
Fruity taste mixed with dry-smoked chipotles and floral hops. Dry and mildly bitter aftertaste with a residual spicy feeling in your throat and condiments on your tongue. On a second, the smoked flavor is so present that may not come just from the Chipotle.
Medium body with good carbonation.
Interesting beer, I liked the fact they limited the amount of chipotle added to the recipe, and its hops helps to refresh it. That would be a great beer to mix on a blind taste session. It is the kind that I am glad I tried it but not sure I would seek this again, but I would sure drink it again if it knocks my door.

05-11-2013 02:09:59 | More by FLima
kamiller

Missouri

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a nice amber color with a one finger off white head. Smells of sweet malt, I can't pick up any spices, but nonetheless a pleasant smell. It has a very subtle spice with a malty sweetness, leaves a spicy warmness. The mouthfeel is smooth, almost no carbonation. It is a pretty drinkable beer, after my first glass I started to feel the spice. I probably wouldn't drink more than one, but I had a 25oz bottle so I didn't have much choice. I will say that I was hoping for something with a little more spice, this is a very subtle.

03-31-2006 23:45:10 | More by kamiller
Rudgers73

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into my Hennepin glass. Pours a reddish brown with a healthy inch head that settles slowly into a lacy 1/2 inch or so. The beer is cloudy and I don't see much carbonation. The smell starts out with a nice, fruity, gummi bear like hop aroma backed immediately with a smooth and sticky malt character. The taste is interesting. The taste is much like an APA with a malt undertone topped with a smooth, mild-to-moderate hop bitterness. The chile peppers are faint but noticeable right in the middle of the drink. The pepper taste isn't there but the oil and waxy pepper effect is present. A slightly metallic spice and a bitterness that is separate from the bitterness given by any hop I've had gives it away. It sits more at the front of the tongue and has a residual, consistent effect. After you rest a few minutes from drinking it the pepper taste opens up a bit more with an acidic green chile resemblance.

09-26-2007 00:17:30 | More by Rudgers73
Getinthevan

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Had a bomber of this earlier this evening and yeah, this was a pretty spicy brew. This is the first time I had tried anything of its kind and Rogue's always put out good stuff.

Appearance was a nice red/amber ale color with a nice head and excellent lacing. This stuff certainly clung to the sides of the glass and even after the head dissipated, the lacing still kept intact.

Smell was strong with hot peppers (naturally) and hops. For a spicy beer, this stuff certainly was spicy, but was a little overpowering over the smell of the ale.

Taste was really good. As an ale, it was delicious, but the hot peppers thrown into the mixture not only made it spicy and pleasant, it certainly made it much more bitter and pleasing.

Mouthfeel was pretty good, but not too great. While the pepper flavors still tingled, the rest of the stuff faded somewhat quickly.

Drinkability is pretty good however. For an experimental style beer, this is certainly one for the bitter tongues and hot sauce elite. Definitely not a bad Rogue brew at all.

07-27-2008 04:44:21 | More by Getinthevan
Cylinsier

tap

Pours a orange amber color with a bit of lacing.

Scent of caramel and bready malts with a hint of spice and honey.

Mild brown-ale type flavor, caramel and biscuits, with a noted spice bite to it.

Light tingle of carbonation.

Pretty decent spiced ale, actually better than I expected, pretty good flavor and worth trying.

07-31-2013 22:33:49 | More by Cylinsier
Buebie

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from the bomber into a glass. Producing just under an inch of white head. color is a very pale, hazy golden amber.
Retention leaves a generous collar.
Aroma is a bit ashy, mild sweet graininess, with a little sourdough breadyness. although aroma is pretty faint and not forward at all.
Flavors of toasted cherry wood, light malts, spice through the finish with more toasted wood flavors. Mild bittering hops through the finish as well with bready flavors too.
Mouthfeel is light with moderate carbonation.

This here is a good sessionable brew, would purchase again.

01-06-2011 06:37:25 | More by Buebie
lacqueredmouse

Australia

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours an amber golden colour, with a filmy head of creamed-honey coloured head, a little lacing, but it's very filmy. Quite pale, can't say I'm a huge fan, to be honest, but it's ok.

Lots of sweetness on the nose, very honey-like; almost reeking of it, with the sort of floral notes that come from specific honey varieties as well. Some light smokiness, but not a huge amount - quite subdued for what I was expecting. But it's a very pleasant aroma nonetheless.

Smokiness is far more pronounced on the palate, with a really sweet-smoked character coming through, like honey baked ham. Some crispness on the finish, with a rather dry character. Mouthfeel is incredibly tingly, partly from carbonation, and probably from the peppers, but it does add a zing to the smoke characters.

I've had better smoked beers, but the smoky characters on this one are quite well done. I fear that this beer, unlike others I've had, doesn't have quite as good a base recipe - but it's certainly quite pleasant, and drinkable enough for what it is.

Certainly the best chile beer I've yet tried.

10-20-2009 08:40:04 | More by lacqueredmouse
juhl31

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

this was an exciting drink for me because we paired it with some shrimp and hot link pasta with a chipotle cream sauce. this is our first true pairing we made of beer and food.

-ambery with a decent head

-there is some spiciness on the nose but not as much as you'd expect

-i have had there beer on tap before and i feel i like it more with the food pairing. it was a nice blend of the 2 spices from each punchin each other in your mouth. there was also some nice hops goin on and a definite woody, smoky taste which is expected

-like i said it was nice really feeling the 2 go at each other and explode in the mouth. once i drank some after i was done eating, the beer chipotle started to come through a little more

-i wouldnt really order this beer unless for some reason it was the only micro around at a bar

08-13-2009 05:17:59 | More by juhl31
vtblackdog

Vermont

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance is a copper color. Not much head forms and what does disappears quickly.

Smell is very weak. I can not get much at all ... some very weak malt aromas.

Taste is a smokey pepper one. I taste the pepper which is why I drink this style. One can not give me enough pepper in a brew. I'll trade for any chile beer you have!

Mouthfeel is on the thin side but I like the burning sensation.

Overall I like this beer as a very drinkable one.

04-24-2011 17:45:56 | More by vtblackdog
JustinMatthew

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

So strange! This beer pours a burnt orange color with the tinniest off white head that dissipates quickly. Smells malty and smokey. Taste is complex.. Sweet, smokey, some malt, smoked chilies, lightly bitter with a drying end. There is a lingering sweetness between sips. This beer is really unique.. There are so many cool things going on here.

"ale brewed with chipotle peppers"

11-10-2011 19:44:50 | More by JustinMatthew
DPMomutant

Missouri

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

22oz bomber, bought on my trip to Vegas, and being eaten with cold, leftover Uno deep dish pizza (which is pretty good)

Pours a nice amber color like a good amber ale. Not much head to go around. Doesn't last long either but sticks a little bit.

Smell kind of reminds me of smoked beer with a touch of mexican food. Pretty good, and hopefully a good choice with this pizza.

The taste resembles a rauchbier that I once tried although not quite as smoky. Somewhat spicy but not overpowering. You still notice the hop bitterness at the end and I catch the malts in the aftertaste to let you remember this is beer.

The moderate carbonation combined with the spice make the mouthfeel a bit rougher than most, but not as much as you might think. The spice sticks on the back a bit.

I don't know how drinkable this would be as a session brew, but it would likely go with a good, spicy meal a helluva lot better than Corona.

11-12-2004 07:18:58 | More by DPMomutant
Skidz

Wisconsin

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours out deep golden-amber and sits deep amber brown in the glass with a fair off-white head fading to a light skim holding to the sides of the glass.

Smells nicely roasted, big notes of sweet and spicy peppers with light smokey undertones. Toasty brown sugar, honey and a mild roasty malt character.

Tastes lightly sweet up front, initially bland, flavors struggling to come through. Syrupy malt flavors, brown sugar wrapped in oak. Faint notes of peppers; just a miniscule twang near the finish. Mildly bitter with some green leafy hop flavor.

Smooth and creamy in the mouth, fairly light carbonation and a medium body. Definately one of the higher points of the beer.

I guess going into this, I was assuming I was going to get something that really pronounced the peppers, I guess leaving things set back a bit is just nicer. For what it is, it's well done, just seems a bit bland to me.

06-11-2005 21:33:30 | More by Skidz
magictrokini

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

I had no idea what to expect upon buying this one. The aroma definitely has chipotle with the usual hops. Pours deep amber with a medium tan head. The taste is actually very mild. Hoppy and malty, the chipotle takes a back seat. You can taste it, but its not like that horrible Cave Creek Chili beer. It was enjoyable, but I probably won't buy this one again.

12-16-2008 16:26:36 | More by magictrokini
mangledorf

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

Pouring this from the standard Rogue 650 ml bottle, a clean fluffy head rolled up from its foggy red mass. A beautiful beer...but then I started drinking it.

Right before it touched my lips I smelt the peppers almost like a dry rub. Unfortunately that's also how it felt inside my mouth. The taste was mediocre for Rogue, which is still delightful overall.

There is much left to be desired in this beer. Yet there is still much to enjoy as is.

08-16-2008 03:59:30 | More by mangledorf
negroobserver

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

Color is a medium brown. A bit hazy. Pour with about a half inch of white head, which dissipates quickly, but leaves a thin layer on the surface. Smells very earthy and smokey. definitely some pepper in the scent. More smokey than peppery. Tastes a little flat. Starts off like a hoppy ale. In the middle you'll find a slight sting on the tongue, which turns into a pretty powerful hoppy bitterness. The bitterness will linger in the mouth for a few seconds. The beer had pretty good body, but I personally feel that it's a little watery. Good carbonation.

Overall, I feel that the beer lacks the real "chipotle" experience. You'll start to feel the peppery flavors as you drink more of the beer, but the peppery chipotle flavor is overshadowed by the smokiness. A good beer, but not one I'm eager to try again.

GRADE: B-

10-10-2011 03:12:18 | More by negroobserver
KarlHungus

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

This brew pours a murky amber color. The head is nonexistant, and there is no lacing. The aroma is very sweet with peppers in the background. The taste is mildy sweet with chile peppers mildly coming through in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice carbonation. Overall, this brew is a lot more drinkable than I had thought it would be. I am glad that it is rather mellow, and certainly not in my face.

11-22-2005 20:54:53 | More by KarlHungus
flagmantho

Washington

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: slightly hazy tawny-orange color with one finger of ivory head. Could be pretty good.

Smell: well, it doesn't smell like any other beer I've tried before, but then it doesn't smell strongly of chipotles either. It smells slightly chalky, vegetable-y, and, indeed, a little peppery; my brain wants to say cayenne pepper. Bonus points for originality.

Taste: up front it is a strong kind of neutral flavor; chalky; indeed, almost waxy. The initial flavor is almost berry-like in its fruitiness, and it is only later that the spiciness and chili qualities hit with full force. Even so, it is not discernably "spicy" on the tongue; however, I'm still getting little beads of sweat on my forehead as I imbibe it. I have to give this a 4, because while it may not be something I drink every day, it is an interesting and well-executed brew.

Mouthfeel: medium body with an average carbonation level. Nothing to write home about.

Drinkability: I like this beer well enough to finish it; and, while I appreciate the craft that went into it, I don't know that I'll be getting it again. Perhaps it would go well with a meal. This is simply one difficult beer for me to rate.

01-31-2010 21:15:12 | More by flagmantho
MufflnMan

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

Had this on tap at The Thirsty Monk. Poured a copper color with an off white head. Nose is very peppery with some malt and promises the chipotle that is expected. Small amount of malt in the taste with a well balanced chipotle flavor... not too much, not too little. If you like what's promised by this beer, it delivers nicely. Still, not the most interesting of brews.

04-05-2011 04:54:34 | More by MufflnMan
randawakes

Alaska

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

Tastes like a Chipotle pepper juice, what do you know? Very spicy, warm golden red colors, mild head. Drinkable, taste is unique, but grows on you. Smoky char sensation, enjoyed it.

Its not perfect but a bit above average B. It is lacking in mouthfeel but just a bit, the peppers are too dominant.

12-12-2009 23:26:32 | More by randawakes
paceyourself

Connecticut

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

This cloudy golden brew poured a tight white head that left very little lace. Smokey, floral and sweet plum aromas are slight. The earthy and buttery flavors don't stop the smoked chipotle peppers from asserting themselves. I don't know if the warming feeling is from the peppers or the alcohol, but it's nice. My expectations of Mexicali were low but to my surprise i enjoyed it alot.

03-03-2003 18:31:53 | More by paceyourself
ralree

Maryland

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Nice orange color, great retention and lacing on this 2-finger head.

S: Smells different - almost like a peach or other light fruit, and is backed by nice brown sugar grainy malt. Doesn't smell too toasted. Hops are there as backup.

T: Definitely some chipotle pepper in there, which is evident from the taste. This is weird! Light fruity taste under that, as well as a slight grainy kick (but not too grainy). Malt is pretty un-toasty. Lacks on the aftertaste - after swallowing just tastes like a slight bit of grain and water. This could be better - more hops would be nice - a Chipotle IPA!

M: Nice medium body, a bit oily. Non-astringent. Good carbonation.

D: Goes down pretty easily, but the lacking aftertaste slows it down.

03-20-2010 22:34:23 | More by ralree
BDJake

Washington

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

Being a lover of spicy foods, I had to try this one out.

A- transparent orange/amber with two fingers of off-white head that left moderate lacing.

S- not very potent, but the peppers were clearly at the forefront with some malt in the background.

T- mainly tasting of mild chipotle peppers, not unlike most chipotle sauces/pastes. Not spicy at all, but pretty flavorful.

M- fairly light-bodied with mild carbonation.

D- pretty smooth for the most part, not hard to down by any means.

It kind of reminded me of Fat Tire with Chipotle flavor added, but I recommend this to anyone willing to try anything new, especially if they like Southwestern cuisine. I may pair this with some Mexican food very soon to get another perspective on it.

11-04-2009 09:01:47 | More by BDJake
vette2006c5r

South Dakota

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

Rouge's Chipotle Ale poured a hazy amber color, with a good size head that went away rather quickly. It had a smell of cooked peppers, and I found it just offensive. The taste was heavy, full, and had a spicey note to it. It was rather easy to drink. Overall a very interesting beer, and a very good beer, gets better the more you drink it; a must try.

07-23-2010 03:34:12 | More by vette2006c5r
Blakaeris

Iowa

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours opaque burnt orange with a slight head and no appreciable lacing.

Aroma is definitely full of smokey chipotle, but it is matched with strong enough malt to give some balance.

Taste is surprisingly mild up front with sweet caramel maltiness and hints of citrus fruit. Then the smokey chipotle flavor makes an appearance, but doesn't completely dominate. The finish holds a touch of hops and a decent sting of peppery heat.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth.

This is by far the best chile beer I've had. I expected the chile flavor to dominate everything, but instead it is a pleasant addition to the balanced malt and hops. A very nice change of pace.

04-09-2007 22:54:02 | More by Blakaeris