Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev +2%

Bomber poured into my favorite bomber-sized glass.

A nice head formed, which took a while to settle, eventually with no lace. Initially very murky, yet no visible yeast deposits; a beautiful red color, but it never cleared up. I like murky beers, but not consistently murky beers and not when it's unexplainable.

The nose was interesting--I expected more chipotle, but that was subtle and balanced by some expected and some unexpected hints, including a faint medicinal scent and some magic marker--but not much. Oddly, the nose, for me anyway, was mixed to the point that it was hard to pick out particular scents. It smelled like ale, but mysteriously, and I liked that. Like all Rogue flavored beers, a general synthetic nose was present, but less so than in other offerings (which I have not liked).

The taste was strange--because it was not that strange. I'm not sure how this beer could get bad reviews. It's not that great, but it's not over-the-top, like the chicory Dogfish Head, IMO one of the worst beers I've ever had. In fact, I like this better than the other Rogue flavored beers, including those which are lauded by BA reviewers. If anything, I would have liked more heat promised by the title, and I think it would have been better with more hops.

The mouthfeel was poor--the carbonation is too much like soda. That, to me, interferes with its drinkability as well.

Unlike most novelty beers, I'm glad I tried this one. If it were cheaper, I'd try it again, but there are so many outstanding bombers available for just $1 more in Columbus (this was $4), like Hop Rod Rye, the Avery barleywine ... yeah, especially those two. I'm glad a Rogue flavor bomber finally came through for me.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

A: Reddish copper, thin layer of patchy head - 4.00, S: Subtle smoke on the nose along with the zest of the jalapenos, very earthy aroma, hops are hard to discern but a hearty malt backing is apparent, a more pleasant smell than I would generally expect from a chile beer - 4.00, T: A medium malt base, definite heat but far from overpowering, a very veggie quality to the beer, some hop bite on the tail - 3.50, M: Medium bodied - 3.50, D: Chile beers certainly aren't a some draw to me, but this one is reasonable to the point of making it quite drinkable - 3.50

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

22oz bottle served chilled. Pours a hazy, burnt orange color, with an offwhite head that fades quickly. Only a few patches of lace were left on the glass. Aroma was very subdued for a Rogue. Sweet caramel dominated the nose, with just a hint of fruitiness and some smoke. Mouthfeel was actively carbonated with some mild hop bite and a slight twang of pepper bite. Taste featured the caramel malt sweetness, with a balance provided by sparing use of the westcoast hops. I could detect a mild, smoky chili flavor of the chipotle peppers, but they're in the background. Very well balanced, overall, and very drinkable. I think this one would be better with a more assertive pepper presence.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Clear auburn brew underneath an lightly peach-yellow tinted head. Head is large and fluffy initially and promptly fades to an 1/8," edged by clumpy lace piles. Aroma is like smoked earth mixed with root veggies, butterscotch, musky floral, caramel, and dank leather. Taste has a touch of prickly spice (nothing comparable to eating fresh, hot jalapeños), among more earthy, smoky, and even slightly meaty flavors. A bit of sour acidity is interesting as it offsets the slick, slippery malts. Body is moderate in size and texture is pleasant and simple. The jalapeño adds an enjoyable warming quality. On yet another occasion, I am discovering that hot peppers enhance alcoholic beverages. Easy to drink, refreshing and roasty.

This would probably be good with some Mexican food.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Mexicali pours with a modest finely-carbonated white head, over deep golden, slightly hazy liquid. Nose is a bit of lightweight malt with a light note of sulphur. Tastes malty at first, with a very slight smokiness from the Chipotle peppers, then a nice although quite subtle heat is felt in the throat, subsiding quickly. Finishes a bit weaker than I remember (it's been a year or two since I last tasted it) it used to have a bigger flavor to it, but still is a unique departure in the Light Ale catagory.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

From a 650 mL bottle, I pour some Chipotle Ale into a pint glass. This presents a rusty red body with a brief white head. My nostrils are not set aflame by smelling it and I'm taking that as a good sign since I'm on Prilosec and all. Pepper presence is quite faint in the aroma; hops are more pronounced here.

No matter how much I've read about chile beers, I couldn't imagine how something like this would really taste. That's pretty much why I bought this stuff in the first place; it piqued my curiosity. Now I have a better idea:

At first I couldn't even detect it. Then, after a few sips, it was there. Like it says on the bottle, this beer is *delicately spiced* with smoked jalapeño (i.e. chipotle) peppers. So I start to pick up said spice in the usual areas of the tongue as well as said smokiness. I also notice that my lips are feeling it too and are a little parched by the experience, as usual when I have something spicy.

I think Rogue has the right level of heat here, balancing almost perfectly with the sweetness of the malts they use. The heat from the peppers is high enough that it's noticeable but not too high that it dominates the flavor profile and razes your taste buds. Not only would it pair well with Mexican food, but I also think it would do well with some good chocolate. Yes, I would like another but not too many.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

poured into pint glass from 22 oz bottle, shared with buddy.
bright red with brown tinge; small head quickly subsided and no real lacing. sweet spicy and almost clove quality to the smell - chipotle's def noticable. sweet and 'warm' taste, spicy peppers with a long, dry finish which allows the hops to emerge slowly. light-bodied with a flash of spice and a subsequent nice raw dryness on the palate.
frankly, i didn't expect a chili beer to be so balanced.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance: Poured from the bomber into a pint glass. A strange murky brownish-red color with a nice off white two finger head that slowly dissipates. Unique looking beer.

Smell: Lightly hopped up front but then fading into a more classic beery aroma. Chipotle peppers are not as evident as I thought they would be. You really have to dig to get the aroma of them, and all you're left with really is a slight stinging sensation in the nostrils. Odd.

Taste: Not as spicy or different than I expected. Comes across at first as lightly to moderately hoppy then getting stronger in the hop department going down. A slight burning sensation remains in the mouth and throat after a pretty clean finish. Peppery character comes across faintly towards the middle, but you really have to be looking for it or you'll miss it. Good beer, but slightly disappointing.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a chill-hazed golden amber in color with an off-white fluffy head that eventually settles to a consistent surface covering. Aroma is light with some sweetness combined with (really light) hints of smoke and chilies (chipotles!). Mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth and medium-bodied. Some fruitiness upfront that merges with a nice malty characteristic. Midway through the influences of the chipotles can be detected, albeit lightly. Neither the smokiness nor use of chilies permeates the beer thoroughly, but its presence is subtle enough to be detected and steer the flavor of this golden ale into an intriguing direction.

Not as spectacular as other Rogue offerings but in the right time and place it has its moments. I enjoyed mine with spicy enchiladas and Mexicali Rogue was a fine companion to put out the flames from the chili sauce.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

I picked this bomber up at Brewer's on the Bay: a 22 oz. brown bottle with no freshness or best by date that I could find it.

The beer poured a slightly cloudy copperish red with a 1/4" or so of off whte, large bubbled head. The head retained pretty well and left some fine lacing on the glass. The beer smelled uniquely smokey with some maltiness as well. The flavor was smokey too. The beer has some maltiness to it at first with a very slight spiciness to the finish to as well. A unique flavored beer for sure.

It's a medium bodied beer that boasts of a nice crispness without a overly filling mouthfeel and a seemingly low alcohol content (I couldn't find the ABV for this one anywhere), which combined with the taste make it a pretty drinkable ale. A good beer for this category, and I would return to it if the moment or the desire strikes.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

My first chili ale, I assumed this would be an interesting concoction. The color is a hazy copper with good carbonation and creamy head. The aroma consists of a mild malty sweetness joined by a stronger element of the spicy and somewhat smokey chipotle. The taste is very interesting and complex. A sip starts with a standard mild malt flavor, but is soon joined by spiciness and mild smokiness. Moderately citrusy hops provide a nice bite. You can definently tastes the peppers, but the flavor isn't overwelmingly spicy. The highlight of this brew is the interplay between the malts and the chipotle towards the middle of a sip. A crisp mouthfeel is also welcomed. Despite enjoying the interesting flavor of this beer, I did get a little tired of the chili flavor by the end of my 22 oz. bottle. Only one of these every now and then would suit me fine.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Burned the devil with this one on 7/22/2004. 16-oz. pour at Redbones in a shaker glass.

Hue was amber to a slight vermilion. Little head to speak of; just a faint skein. Peppery spiciness accentuated by a grotto-like outer roundness to the whole nose gay. Not sure which hot peppers were used in this – chipolte, cascabel, California hybrid, Anaheim, jalapeno, pequin, or serrano – but whatever they were, they fired right through my lips, leaving a scalding trail up my tongue, through the roof of my mouth and up into my skull. And I loved it. There also seemed to be a slight cream edge, like baker’s chocolate. The spice didn’t really catch fire until five or six seconds after each swallow. I was happy that the only other thing I was eating at Redbones on this visit was water, and not their barbecue, because I think that would have been sheer overkill. Overall, this is a medium-bodied offering and one that I would choose to have more than one of if my tongue would allow it. I truly enjoyed this unusual pour, and in the end, it packed no more heat than a few drops of Tabasco.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber. on the side of the bottle, right near the bottom, printed in hard-to-see black ink is "009 B1 1736", whatever that means. tasted in mid-may 2009.

coppery amber and semi-dark honey. clear. 2-finger off-white head is foamy, rocky. fades to wispy layer. great lacing, foamy, and nearly a full curtain further down the glass.

very malty aroma, caramel, hint of apple esters, trace of hop, faint chile pepper tingle. rogue's signature pacman house yeast is pretty easy to pick out.

malty, almost savory flavor continues on the palate. mild hops and gentle chile note seem to mix with the faint fusel or spicy phenols. and the mild to moderate bitterness thus peaks, then lingers. some fruity esters peek through, but the fusel and phenolic note starts to get slightly distracting. sometimes this is the thing about pacman that i'm just not fond of. faint tingle of heat from the chiles.

light to medium body, smooth, with touch of resin and astringency (from phenols?) in finish. moderate carbonation is lightly prickly, but momentarily peaks with the phenols, and at this moment is accentuated a bit over-the-top...

nonetheless, an interesting novelty.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

22oz bottle. Pours a clear light copper with a white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is subdued - some sweet malts and smokey peppers and liquid smoke.

The flavor is some sweet malt quickly followed by a lot of smokey chipotle pepper with some light to moderate heat in the background. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation - slightly watery.

Overall, this is one of the best chili beers I've had. It's pretty moderate in heat, but I really like the flavors of the chipotle and smokiness. It's still pretty one-sided in that it's all about the pepper.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Opened 22 oz bomber bottle, poured into Nonic glass.

Nice off white head forms about 3/4" above top of golden/amber brew.

Smell is of hoppy citrus, but nothing outstanding. Taste is definitely smokey chipotle with a little hoppy bitterness on the finish. It would be awesome if it were just a tad sweeter, but all in all, its a pleasant brew. Very novelty, wouldn't be a regular brew.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle (no date) into a pint glass.

A moderate pour yields a 1/2-finger off-white head that quickly dissipates to a very light dusting and thin foam ring. The body is a hazy honey amber color with very few carbonation bubbles. Light lacing is noticed throughout consumption.

Sweet malts and light, floral hops aromas give way to a spicy pepper overtone. Unfortunately, the aromas are rather muted which makes analysis rather difficult.

Sweet malts start the sip, but a smoky pepper flavor quickly takes over. The pepper is not exactly spicy, but is definitely striking. It definitely has more of a chipotle feel, as the flavor is more earthy and rustic. Honestly, I expected more of a spicy assault than I was given.

Light bodied with strong carbonation, this beer is nearly gulp-worthy and almost thirst-quenching. The combination between the carbonation and the body is fantastic as it creates a great late spring / summer beer that is very pair-able with many cuisines.

While the look of this beer leaves much to be desired, the mouthfeel is superb. The smell is quite lacking and the flavor, while decent, could definitely use more of a bite. While this is probably not a beer I would be clamoring to purchase again, I can understand why some would seek it out.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

I love peppers. I love beer. So why not try them together? My experience with spiced or pepper beers has largely been limited to the famous - or infamous - Cave Creek Chili Beer. I've always had a soft spot for that beer, though it's admittedly gross now that I've moved on to bigger and badder beers. Pours a red bordering on copper. Nice balooning head with some pretty impressive amount of lacing. Moderate carbonation levels. Aroma is all smokey chipotle pepper and not much else. If you're not a fan of the chipotle favor it'll be pretty overwhelming. Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied, with low carbonation. Flavor is smoked chili powder mixed into a red ale. Medium caramel sweetness in the finish with some temperate pepper. This beer would go great with barbecue, like burnt ends or spare ribs. Standing alone it's merely an interesting execution on the pepper beer style, heads and shoulders above Cave Creek but lacking something. Pair something with it - I pulled out some local smoked pepper jack cheese - and it really shines.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

I bought this beer with high expectations. I enjoy many of Rogue's brews. Poured a clear reddish color with a pretty good head. Smelled fairly citrusy, I was trying to detect any chipotle pepper spice but must have been way in the back. The taste was a little surprising. A bit thin and I was really hoping for a heavy pepper taste. There was a noticable "heat" but for the most part it was fairly well balanced. I guess it is good it isn't too overpowering or it would be hard to quaff.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

This beer is all about subtlety. There is no chili pepper floating inside the bottle but the chipotle presence is there nonetheless, lurking around under the surface. Peppery and smoky but not overwhelmingly so with a malt sweetness beneath. Pours a clear amber and carries a unique, not unpleasant aroma.

The first thing my wife and I both thought was how to pair this with food as this seems a good choice for a broad range of meals. It's not an everyday beer nor is this a big beer (especially served as we did it right after the Imperial IPA. What were we thinking?) but a solid experience and one I wouldn't mind to repeat. Try it if you're curious. It's not THAT out there.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Had this before the poker game yesterday. Poured a hazy orange amber color with thick foamy white head, almost like what cooking caramel looks like. Plenty of lacing. Smelled of yeast and a little pepper. Tasted of malts, a dash of hops, with a nice peppery kick. Wow! Incredibly smooth, considering the pepper. No more than two, though.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a light reddish-brown with a pillowy off-white head.

Smells like malts and smoky/roasted peppers. Some hint of hops is there, but the peppers drown it out.

Definite chipotle flavor cutting through the malts. Smokiness is more noticable than heat from the peppers. Caramel is prominent when the smokiness fades. The finish is somewhat drying, and the mouthfeel is quite thin.

It's hard to rate drinkability on this. It's definitely tasty and easy to drink, but I can't really think of a time when I'd want a chipotle-flavored beverage.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Picked up a bomber of this for a friend and myself who enjoy hot food and peppers.

Poured a orangish amber with a thin finger of very light green head. Head retention is poor, and it reduced itself to edges in only a minute. Lacing is mild.

Smell is interesting. Mild pepper and smoke with a very light malt.

Taste is a strong sweet hop, followed suit by a sour smoked pepper flavor. Finish is a bit strong, and leaves a mild heat in the back of your mouth.

Mouthfeel is smooth and light bodied, feels watered down a bit and I wish the pepper was strong.

My overall impression of this is that its a novelty beer. I'd drink it again for sure but because of the hop and spice mix, something I know doesn't mix well with alot of foods, I'd have a hard time pairing it, and would limit it to rare occasions when I'd want an odd beer out.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

It pours a clear and glinty ruby/amber, fairly carbonated. A finger of whitish head slips quickly to a paisley foam film. Runes of lacing interate on the glass.

The aroma has a slightly malty earthiness which is promptly trumped by the flinty vegetal edge of the chipotle partnered with a mild spiced smoky haze.

A taste brings a flash of toasted malt, rather short-lived but present, that cedes so soon to a mildly smoky presence of chipotle, springing up visions of the pepper's skin and ribs. The spicy bitterness of the pepper comes through toward the end more prominently. The finish carries a snappy bite and gently lingering bitterness. It's maybe not the finest mating or elements, but it is interesting how it makes you imagine a capsaicin glow that's not really there.

Between light and medium bodied, the light smoke and peppery snap make it almost tangible, leaving a mellow glow behind.

I really wasn't sure what to expect from a chile beer after Cave Creek ruined my sense of adventure in that direction for quite some time, but what stands out is how real the pepper becomes as you drink. It's a pretty wild diversion, the way it presents something new and unusual to the palate. It is reasonably drinkable, but that's mitigated by the character that gives it an almost novelty status. It's not destined to become a favorite, but it does go to show that most things in life are worth trying at least one time.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

On tap at Beer Run in Charlottesville, VA.

Appearance: Pours a reddish mahogany, with a small amount of persistent head and plenty of lacing.

Smell: Faint, in general, with hints of smoke and spice, as well as some sweet malty notes.

Taste: I ate nachos right before having this beer, and I'm now regretting it--tastes slightly hot, VERY peppery. The jalepeno taste is not particularly overpowering, but was a little too much at that point for me.

Mouthfeel: Interesting. Very light and smooth, but ends with a kick with the peppers, which are primarily present as an aftertaste. The lower level of carbonation works really well to compliment the spices--I have a feeling that much more would have just made it far too fizzy.

Drinkability: Not too great for this one. To be fair, I was a little tired of the spicy taste already, but I don't think it would be easy to drink regardless. It's not a bad beer--in fact, it's a pretty interesting one--but it's more of a novelty than anything I think I'd actively seek out again. I just feel like something's missing...

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

The first chile beer I've ever reviewed.

Appearance- Pours a very deep copper amber hue with only light bubbling but some noticeable lacing. The color is just awesome, I must reitorate. A little feline foam remains for only a couple of sips.

Smell- Very oddball smokey amber malt aroma. Not like the amber malts but of mildly spicey vegetables. Prety unique. The chipotle does makes its presence known.

Taste- Starts with a normal red ale toasty and biscuity flavor. Then the toast turns into smoke. Pepper smoke. A nice, easy, and very palateable chipotle aroma. Very interesting mix of a traditional amber ale. with soem smokey and slighlkty spicey peppers.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales