Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

It pours a clear and glinty ruby/amber, fairly carbonated. A finger of whitish head slips quickly to a paisley foam film. Runes of lacing interate on the glass.

The aroma has a slightly malty earthiness which is promptly trumped by the flinty vegetal edge of the chipotle partnered with a mild spiced smoky haze.

A taste brings a flash of toasted malt, rather short-lived but present, that cedes so soon to a mildly smoky presence of chipotle, springing up visions of the pepper's skin and ribs. The spicy bitterness of the pepper comes through toward the end more prominently. The finish carries a snappy bite and gently lingering bitterness. It's maybe not the finest mating or elements, but it is interesting how it makes you imagine a capsaicin glow that's not really there.

Between light and medium bodied, the light smoke and peppery snap make it almost tangible, leaving a mellow glow behind.

I really wasn't sure what to expect from a chile beer after Cave Creek ruined my sense of adventure in that direction for quite some time, but what stands out is how real the pepper becomes as you drink. It's a pretty wild diversion, the way it presents something new and unusual to the palate. It is reasonably drinkable, but that's mitigated by the character that gives it an almost novelty status. It's not destined to become a favorite, but it does go to show that most things in life are worth trying at least one time.

Foxman, Nov 13, 2005
3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

On tap at Beer Run in Charlottesville, VA.

Appearance: Pours a reddish mahogany, with a small amount of persistent head and plenty of lacing.

Smell: Faint, in general, with hints of smoke and spice, as well as some sweet malty notes.

Taste: I ate nachos right before having this beer, and I'm now regretting it--tastes slightly hot, VERY peppery. The jalepeno taste is not particularly overpowering, but was a little too much at that point for me.

Mouthfeel: Interesting. Very light and smooth, but ends with a kick with the peppers, which are primarily present as an aftertaste. The lower level of carbonation works really well to compliment the spices--I have a feeling that much more would have just made it far too fizzy.

Drinkability: Not too great for this one. To be fair, I was a little tired of the spicy taste already, but I don't think it would be easy to drink regardless. It's not a bad beer--in fact, it's a pretty interesting one--but it's more of a novelty than anything I think I'd actively seek out again. I just feel like something's missing...

afausser, Nov 30, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

The first chile beer I've ever reviewed.

Appearance- Pours a very deep copper amber hue with only light bubbling but some noticeable lacing. The color is just awesome, I must reitorate. A little feline foam remains for only a couple of sips.

Smell- Very oddball smokey amber malt aroma. Not like the amber malts but of mildly spicey vegetables. Prety unique. The chipotle does makes its presence known.

Taste- Starts with a normal red ale toasty and biscuity flavor. Then the toast turns into smoke. Pepper smoke. A nice, easy, and very palateable chipotle aroma. Very interesting mix of a traditional amber ale. with soem smokey and slighlkty spicey peppers.

scruffwhor, Sep 18, 2006
3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured a dark ruby amber into a tulip with two fingers of bright white head. Aroma dominated by chipotle pepper (go figure).

Moderate carbonation and a creamy mouthfeel. Chipotle up front followed by solid caramelmaltt and a more smoke-dominated pepper character on the finish.

Nicely done, but a little one-dimensional. Malt. Chipotle. Okay, I guess that's two dimensions.

grittybrews, Jun 20, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Bottle was given to me by a Rogue rep. Poured into a pint tumbler.

A: Poured an orange color with a bit of cloud to it. Little head with little retention.

S: Smells mostly sweet with malt in there. Has a smokiness that I can only assume is the chipolte.

T: Actually pretty good. The sweetness of the malt really carries this beer far. On the backend, the chipolte bite tickles the back of your tongue and throat. Nothing too crazy with spice, very subtle.

M: Finishes pretty clean and has some decent carbonation to help this beer along. Aftertaste is a bit of chipolte bite that lingers in your throat.

D: This is definitely a beer to be had with a meal. Would really complement some BBQ or mexican food. I wouldn't drink this as a relaxing beer on a night after work, but given the right circumstances I would drink this again.

everetends, Jun 01, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a clear medium amber with a 1 finger head and good lacing. I don't get too much nose on this one but I do get some smoke and malt aromas. Taste is similar in start to their smoked ale but you don't get the "ham" flavor instead it is of very mild pepper, not spicy at all. Very nicely balanced between malt, hops and smokiness. A very nice example of the style. The complete opposite of cave creek. (ick,yuk)

sabrills70, Jul 10, 2005
3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Served in a pint glass at the Bronx Ale House.

A: Pours a clear, light orange/red. One finger tan head that sticks around and laces a bit.

S: Smoky, but not overpoweringly so. A good amount of sweet malt to balance it.

T: Not at all what I had expected. I'm not picking up too much heat in this beer at all. It's smoky, and there's a definite an adobe/chipotle undercurrent throughout. But it's also quite malty, a mellow sweet bread flavor. Some tingly hops, too.

M/D: Carbonation is pretty low, and mouthfeel is fairly light. I liked the taste at first, but by the end, the smokiness wore out its welcome and I was ready to switch. I think this beer has a lot of potential when paired well with food, but it's a bit much on its own.

CharlatanSin, Jan 01, 2010

22 oz. bomber, no freshness date

A - Pours cloudy amber with a half-finger of off white head that quickly drops to a thin, but sticky cap with decent lace.

S - A bit of sweet malts, smoky chipotles, black pepper

T - Again, a bit of malt sweetness up front. Swallow reveals a touch of hop bitterness. Finishes with a bit of lingering jalapeno heat, really nothing major for my tongue. It does build a little towards the end of the bottle though.

M - Body on the light side of moderate, with moderate carbonation.

D - A really fun brew to try and worth picking up, even if it's only once. I'd definitely drink it again though, especially with mild-to-moderately spicy food or a steak-y fish (tuna, sword, etc.)

association330, Jul 24, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Shimmering, juicy orange with intimations of copper and edges of gold bullion. If a color can suggest quality, this one does. The cream colored head is as foamtastic as most other Rogue offerings. It's thickly creamy and is semi-rocky as it melts. Even though I'd like more lace, that borders on nitpicking when the color and the head are this good.

I don't know that I'd have been able to identify this as a chile beer by scent alone. Yeah, it's spicy, but chile pepper wouldn't have been high on my list of guesses. There isn't much to go on. I guess that chipotle peppers carry a small stick when it comes to aroma, a big stick when it comes to flavor and an even bigger stick when it comes to heat. Thankfully, with warming, the nose opens up a little.

Chipotle Ale isn't bad, although I'm not blown away by the flavor or the heat. According to the brewery, Rogue Oregon Golden Ale serves as the base beer. That seems like a good, neutral choice that would allow (in theory at least) the flavor of the roasted peppers to shine. The beer is well-malted with a slightly sweet underbelly that goes well with a modest hoppy bitterness and a less than awe inspiring amount of spicy heat.

The hop bill consists of Willamette and Cascade. The bright citrusiness of the latter is another nice counterpoint to the earthy pepper flavor. This beer is all about contrasts. It's just too bad the contrasts aren't more pronounced. The flavor lacks the zestiness that should be a major part of any chile beer. It isn't like these guys to ease off the accelerator.

It must have been difficult to decide how much chile pepper to add. Too little and why bother? Too much and you've recreated the abomination that is Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chile Beer. In my opinion, Rogue should have upped the flavor and heat by at least 50%. I have a minimal burn going, although it's really more of a warm tickle. I've come to expect quality mouthfeels from this brewery and I've yet to be disappointed. This one is medium, lithe, supple and is a pleasure in the mouth.

Chile beer tends to be polarizing. Looking at some of the scores, Chipotle Ale is no different. On this one, however, I find myself gravitating toward some middle ground. I think I want more of a chipotle presence, but I'm not sure if I'd like the beer that I'm suggesting they brew. If anyone out there is worried about overwhelming roasted pepper flavor and mouth numbing heat, don't be. This is a relatively tame chile beer and, in the end, is an enjoyable one.

BuckeyeNation, Oct 21, 2005
3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from the 650 ML bottle that I purchased along with 5 other Rogue beers within the past month. Poured into my Dark Horse Brewing Company pint glass. From message written on the side of the bottle: Dedicated to Spanish author Juan de la Cueva, who, in 1575, wrote of a Mexican dish that combined seedless chipotles with ale. This ale is deep amber in color with a rich malty aroma, and delicately spiced with smoked Jalapeno Peppers to give it that extra bite!

A Nice medium brown/amber body under a very light brown creamy, fluffy one inch head after a vigorous pour. Sediment floating about . 4.0

S There is a nice, smoky smoked ham smell in addition to a nice preview of the spice brought on undoubtedly by the peppers. I really like this smell. It is interesting, inviting. 4.5

T I am not sure about this beer. There is an odd rauchbier quality of the smoked aspect to it and the peppers do not come through for me until the aftertaste. The rauchbier quality is not the dynamic, interesting quality of one of the Acht Schlelanka quality but a rather flat quality that I do not like too much. The peppers, which come in at about the aftertaste, are kind of an after thought, only present at the end. Contrast this with DHF Theoromba whose chili tastes are throughout and are much more present. This beer's taste was hard for me to rate but here goes: 3.5

M Minimally smooth feel but mostly this is moderate. There is a bit of bite with the pepper taste in the aftertaste but really it is moderate. I like the feel though. 4.0

D Only fair for me. The odd flatness and rauchbier qualities do not jive well with the pepper aftertaste. I will finish the 22 ounces but will most likely not seek this one out again. 3.0

adamette, Nov 26, 2009
3.69/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I did not get the fact that in the ingredients it mentions Chipotle, but in the description Jalapeños, but they are completely different.
Amber color with a small head with a medium retention.
Aroma of chipotles, but not aggressive, with hints of floral hops and sweet malts on the background.
Fruity taste mixed with dry-smoked chipotles and floral hops. Dry and mildly bitter aftertaste with a residual spicy feeling in your throat and condiments on your tongue. On a second, the smoked flavor is so present that may not come just from the Chipotle.
Medium body with good carbonation.
Interesting beer, I liked the fact they limited the amount of chipotle added to the recipe, and its hops helps to refresh it. That would be a great beer to mix on a blind taste session. It is the kind that I am glad I tried it but not sure I would seek this again, but I would sure drink it again if it knocks my door.

FLima, May 11, 2013
3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a nice amber color with a one finger off white head. Smells of sweet malt, I can't pick up any spices, but nonetheless a pleasant smell. It has a very subtle spice with a malty sweetness, leaves a spicy warmness. The mouthfeel is smooth, almost no carbonation. It is a pretty drinkable beer, after my first glass I started to feel the spice. I probably wouldn't drink more than one, but I had a 25oz bottle so I didn't have much choice. I will say that I was hoping for something with a little more spice, this is a very subtle.

kamiller, Apr 01, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into my Hennepin glass. Pours a reddish brown with a healthy inch head that settles slowly into a lacy 1/2 inch or so. The beer is cloudy and I don't see much carbonation. The smell starts out with a nice, fruity, gummi bear like hop aroma backed immediately with a smooth and sticky malt character. The taste is interesting. The taste is much like an APA with a malt undertone topped with a smooth, mild-to-moderate hop bitterness. The chile peppers are faint but noticeable right in the middle of the drink. The pepper taste isn't there but the oil and waxy pepper effect is present. A slightly metallic spice and a bitterness that is separate from the bitterness given by any hop I've had gives it away. It sits more at the front of the tongue and has a residual, consistent effect. After you rest a few minutes from drinking it the pepper taste opens up a bit more with an acidic green chile resemblance.

Rudgers73, Sep 26, 2007
3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Had a bomber of this earlier this evening and yeah, this was a pretty spicy brew. This is the first time I had tried anything of its kind and Rogue's always put out good stuff.

Appearance was a nice red/amber ale color with a nice head and excellent lacing. This stuff certainly clung to the sides of the glass and even after the head dissipated, the lacing still kept intact.

Smell was strong with hot peppers (naturally) and hops. For a spicy beer, this stuff certainly was spicy, but was a little overpowering over the smell of the ale.

Taste was really good. As an ale, it was delicious, but the hot peppers thrown into the mixture not only made it spicy and pleasant, it certainly made it much more bitter and pleasing.

Mouthfeel was pretty good, but not too great. While the pepper flavors still tingled, the rest of the stuff faded somewhat quickly.

Drinkability is pretty good however. For an experimental style beer, this is certainly one for the bitter tongues and hot sauce elite. Definitely not a bad Rogue brew at all.

Getinthevan, Jul 27, 2008
3.7/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

tap

Pours a orange amber color with a bit of lacing.

Scent of caramel and bready malts with a hint of spice and honey.

Mild brown-ale type flavor, caramel and biscuits, with a noted spice bite to it.

Light tingle of carbonation.

Pretty decent spiced ale, actually better than I expected, pretty good flavor and worth trying.

Cylinsier, Jul 31, 2013
3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from the bomber into a glass. Producing just under an inch of white head. color is a very pale, hazy golden amber.
Retention leaves a generous collar.
Aroma is a bit ashy, mild sweet graininess, with a little sourdough breadyness. although aroma is pretty faint and not forward at all.
Flavors of toasted cherry wood, light malts, spice through the finish with more toasted wood flavors. Mild bittering hops through the finish as well with bready flavors too.
Mouthfeel is light with moderate carbonation.

This here is a good sessionable brew, would purchase again.

Buebie, Jan 06, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours an amber golden colour, with a filmy head of creamed-honey coloured head, a little lacing, but it's very filmy. Quite pale, can't say I'm a huge fan, to be honest, but it's ok.

Lots of sweetness on the nose, very honey-like; almost reeking of it, with the sort of floral notes that come from specific honey varieties as well. Some light smokiness, but not a huge amount - quite subdued for what I was expecting. But it's a very pleasant aroma nonetheless.

Smokiness is far more pronounced on the palate, with a really sweet-smoked character coming through, like honey baked ham. Some crispness on the finish, with a rather dry character. Mouthfeel is incredibly tingly, partly from carbonation, and probably from the peppers, but it does add a zing to the smoke characters.

I've had better smoked beers, but the smoky characters on this one are quite well done. I fear that this beer, unlike others I've had, doesn't have quite as good a base recipe - but it's certainly quite pleasant, and drinkable enough for what it is.

Certainly the best chile beer I've yet tried.

lacqueredmouse, Oct 20, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

this was an exciting drink for me because we paired it with some shrimp and hot link pasta with a chipotle cream sauce. this is our first true pairing we made of beer and food.

-ambery with a decent head

-there is some spiciness on the nose but not as much as you'd expect

-i have had there beer on tap before and i feel i like it more with the food pairing. it was a nice blend of the 2 spices from each punchin each other in your mouth. there was also some nice hops goin on and a definite woody, smoky taste which is expected

-like i said it was nice really feeling the 2 go at each other and explode in the mouth. once i drank some after i was done eating, the beer chipotle started to come through a little more

-i wouldnt really order this beer unless for some reason it was the only micro around at a bar

juhl31, Aug 13, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance is a copper color. Not much head forms and what does disappears quickly.

Smell is very weak. I can not get much at all ... some very weak malt aromas.

Taste is a smokey pepper one. I taste the pepper which is why I drink this style. One can not give me enough pepper in a brew. I'll trade for any chile beer you have!

Mouthfeel is on the thin side but I like the burning sensation.

Overall I like this beer as a very drinkable one.

vtblackdog, Apr 24, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

So strange! This beer pours a burnt orange color with the tinniest off white head that dissipates quickly. Smells malty and smokey. Taste is complex.. Sweet, smokey, some malt, smoked chilies, lightly bitter with a drying end. There is a lingering sweetness between sips. This beer is really unique.. There are so many cool things going on here.

"ale brewed with chipotle peppers"

JustinMatthew, Nov 10, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

22oz bomber, bought on my trip to Vegas, and being eaten with cold, leftover Uno deep dish pizza (which is pretty good)

Pours a nice amber color like a good amber ale. Not much head to go around. Doesn't last long either but sticks a little bit.

Smell kind of reminds me of smoked beer with a touch of mexican food. Pretty good, and hopefully a good choice with this pizza.

The taste resembles a rauchbier that I once tried although not quite as smoky. Somewhat spicy but not overpowering. You still notice the hop bitterness at the end and I catch the malts in the aftertaste to let you remember this is beer.

The moderate carbonation combined with the spice make the mouthfeel a bit rougher than most, but not as much as you might think. The spice sticks on the back a bit.

I don't know how drinkable this would be as a session brew, but it would likely go with a good, spicy meal a helluva lot better than Corona.

DPMomutant, Nov 12, 2004
3.7/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Pours out deep golden-amber and sits deep amber brown in the glass with a fair off-white head fading to a light skim holding to the sides of the glass.

Smells nicely roasted, big notes of sweet and spicy peppers with light smokey undertones. Toasty brown sugar, honey and a mild roasty malt character.

Tastes lightly sweet up front, initially bland, flavors struggling to come through. Syrupy malt flavors, brown sugar wrapped in oak. Faint notes of peppers; just a miniscule twang near the finish. Mildly bitter with some green leafy hop flavor.

Smooth and creamy in the mouth, fairly light carbonation and a medium body. Definately one of the higher points of the beer.

I guess going into this, I was assuming I was going to get something that really pronounced the peppers, I guess leaving things set back a bit is just nicer. For what it is, it's well done, just seems a bit bland to me.

Skidz, Jun 11, 2005
3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

I had no idea what to expect upon buying this one. The aroma definitely has chipotle with the usual hops. Pours deep amber with a medium tan head. The taste is actually very mild. Hoppy and malty, the chipotle takes a back seat. You can taste it, but its not like that horrible Cave Creek Chili beer. It was enjoyable, but I probably won't buy this one again.

magictrokini, Dec 16, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

Pouring this from the standard Rogue 650 ml bottle, a clean fluffy head rolled up from its foggy red mass. A beautiful beer...but then I started drinking it.

Right before it touched my lips I smelt the peppers almost like a dry rub. Unfortunately that's also how it felt inside my mouth. The taste was mediocre for Rogue, which is still delightful overall.

There is much left to be desired in this beer. Yet there is still much to enjoy as is.

mangledorf, Aug 16, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

Color is a medium brown. A bit hazy. Pour with about a half inch of white head, which dissipates quickly, but leaves a thin layer on the surface. Smells very earthy and smokey. definitely some pepper in the scent. More smokey than peppery. Tastes a little flat. Starts off like a hoppy ale. In the middle you'll find a slight sting on the tongue, which turns into a pretty powerful hoppy bitterness. The bitterness will linger in the mouth for a few seconds. The beer had pretty good body, but I personally feel that it's a little watery. Good carbonation.

Overall, I feel that the beer lacks the real "chipotle" experience. You'll start to feel the peppery flavors as you drink more of the beer, but the peppery chipotle flavor is overshadowed by the smokiness. A good beer, but not one I'm eager to try again.

GRADE: B-