2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chipotle AleChipotle Ale

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,190 | Reviews: 681 | Show All Ratings:
EnojysAnyBeer

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev +21.3%

My 1st chile beer and I'm excited to try a flavor in my beer that I know I like on my food. 22oz bomber with no freshness date.

A- Looks like a dark amber pale ale. Decent 2-finger creamy head from a basic pour and minimal lacing.

S- Definite chipotle(roasted cayenne I believe). Some earthy malts in there as well.

T- The chile flavor and heat is subdued by a generous portion of sweet, earthy, almost-bready malts. You can definitely feel the heat but, as expected, it doesn't linger as long as it does in food. Some citrus hops in there but I would've liked more.

M&D- Dry and hot. Consume with powerful food.

09-19-2008 01:18:02 | More by EnojysAnyBeer
donkeyrunner

4.33/5  rDev +21.3%

Were I to brew a chili beer I would call it "Dirty Sanchez." Hazy, dark honey color. Large white head leaves thick, foamy drifts and sticky lace clumps. Rogue pose.

Smells like smoke and fresh chillies. Tastes like smoke and chilies with a wet, bready malt. Tastes kinda like a jalapeno popper actually. Pacman mouthfeel.

Theobroma being my only reference for chili beers, this is much better.

01-01-2010 22:55:42 | More by donkeyrunner
lumikuuro

British Columbia (Canada)

650ml bottle.

Appearance: Hazy, dirty amber colour. Slightly off white bubbly head receding to a foam, leaving long, irregular, sporadic streaks of lace.

Aroma: Smoky, spicy, sweet, background malt.

Taste: Munich malt, smoke, and a building spiciness leading to a burn at the back of the throat that lasts for up to a minute and then eases. The chipotle burn is pronounced enough to reward the drinker, but not over the top. There is a very gentle hop presence here which helps to balance the flavours; and also a restrained fruity sweetness from the added chipotle. One thing I really like about this offering from Rogue is that they do know, after all, how to brew a beer without loading it with their trademark huge hop assault. However, I can't help thinking that this beer needs a heavier malt profile to really stand out.

Mouthfeel: No more than medium bodied, crisp, easy to drink.

Drinkability: Great for the spice kick and smokiness, a definite winner with certain cuisines and just for a spice fix. It just needs a more assertive malt profile and a fuller body to be a true winner.

01-27-2010 08:00:47 | More by lumikuuro
fastsrt

22 ounce bottle in a mug

A: orangeish gold almost, cloudy, bone white head

S: malts, and some smoke

T: malty start then a hoppy finish and a spicy bit that does not come on till after you swallow.

M: average feel for a amber ale.

D: I cracked it open with a grilled pork chop and let me say I had a dance in my mouth this one was incredible with my food. It is a five all the way. but I had a hard time finishing this one on its own after my food was gone and since this is a beer rating it is going to be lower. my advice is enjoy this with a meal, it's awesome

03-09-2010 21:36:10 | More by fastsrt
Parrotbeak

4.33/5  rDev +21.3%

Light, cloudy amber color, with a 3/8 inch white head that gradually recedes, but remains almost full. Good lacing on the glass as it goes down.
The chipotle peppers are definitely present on the nose, which is very nice. Malty aroma as well. Not the most complex smell, but the chipotle presence is more than welcome.
Taste is malty up front, followed by the chipotle peppers, and a nice heat that swells in the back of the mouth. Smoke, with a touch of jalapeno as well.
Mouthfeel is fairly crisp yet smooth, with the peppers providing a nice heat.
Very drinkable, though only perhaps under the right circumstances. I once had this beer after a nice, spicey dish of chicken with a chipotle sauce. I thought this would be a perfect pairing, however--after the meal, the spicey aspect of this beer was almost completely unnoticeable, rendering it quite bland and thus driving the drinkability way down. When consumed before a meal and/or on a clean palate, however, this beer is quite vibrant and very drinkable. And so, two hours after a very unspicey meal, this one did not disappoint at all.

03-10-2010 01:07:10 | More by Parrotbeak
HugePlume

Washington

4.33/5  rDev +21.3%

22ox bomber poured into a pint.

A: A slightly hazy orange biased amber. Decent head while pouring that dissipates somewhat quickly.

S: Great smokey scent. Not much malt evident, a little non-specific sweetness there too.

T: Well balanced ale. Beer wise, its not that complex but the chipotle is done to perfection. Builds slowly and maintains a great smoky spicy character. Fabulous with a meal.

M: Low on carbonation with a slightly watery finish that lets the pepper oils build some nice heat. Achieves the desired result.

D: Great beer, low enough abv that you can have several. Great companion to a gourmet southwestern meal and desert.

10-24-2010 02:30:07 | More by HugePlume
ChristianBlack

4.33/5  rDev +21.3%

Pours a slightly hazy amber with a foamy tan head that sticks about a bit.

Brown sugar malty sweetness with a peppery-ness (not sure that's a word), but not something that you would detect on the front end.

Sweet and slightly piney hops with lots of malt and brown sugar sweetness. Then you get the chipotles. I think what works best here is that the malt component. Nice and strong to handle the pepper.

Light body with good carbonation.

I like off-centered beers and enjoyed this one.

03-25-2011 19:27:29 | More by ChristianBlack
botham

4.35/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle poured into a pub glass. pours a hazy amber color with two fingers of off white head that remain for a few minutes. nice moderate lacings.

aroma is earthy and malty, with a smokey character. a note of caramel and a bit of roasted malts show through as well.

taste is earthy and malty up front, with notes of caramel and a hint of roasted malts, along with a smoked character and a spiced quality. finishes on a spicy note, which comes from the peppers, and works quite well with the profile.

mouthfeel is medium bodied with a smooth texture and mild CO2. finishes spicy with residual peppers and smoke.

drinkability is good. this brew is exactly what it claims to be on the bottle: 'a delicate smooth crisp flavor with a subtle, smokey chipotle finish'. cheers!

05-04-2008 22:47:30 | More by botham
bark

Sweden

4.35/5  rDev +21.8%

The liquid is clear; the colour is deep amber. The high off-white head is compact, it leaves some fine lacing.

The smell is a bit smoked with hints of meat. Dried fruits, fresh chilli fruits, and some sweetness. I found notes of canned fruits and raisins too. Very pleasant.

The taste is fruity with some matured cellar.notes. Dried fruits and cask-matured notes. In the background, a very elegant chilli heat flavour emerges, but it is never allowed to dominate the palette. Some passing notes of fresh and dried fruits (apricots, mandarins). Medium bodied. The aftertaste is malty with hoppy hints: Some smoked cheese in the background and a mild chilli flavour. Very well kept together. Cream in the finish.

The carbonation is medium strong; small fresh bubbles. The liquid is smooth and a little sticky.

More of desserts drink than a BBQ-beer. Mellow and rounded flavours with chilli in the background. Almost like a light barley wine.

08-02-2009 13:34:11 | More by bark
Fatehunter

Oregon

4.35/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured from a bomber into a "Rogue Chipotle" glass. It is just a goblet with a stem that looks like a cactus. Copper/amber color, opaque. Light head that was just dusting the surface.

S - First some malt and then the chipotle. Very distinct chipotle smell. I usually do not like fruit in my beer, but this smells really nice.

T - Slightly sweet at first, followed by the chipotle pepper. Enough spice to know it is there but not obnoxious or overpowering.

M - Soft at first, then bubbly carbonation, followed by a crisp finish. I liked the soft start and crisp finish, but a little less carbonation would be better. Oh, the pepper's heat stays on the lips for awhile afterward.

D - Very good and drinkable. I love the spiceiness and smell. This is probably the only beer with a fruit added that I really liked.

11-19-2010 06:23:57 | More by Fatehunter
ledemie

4.38/5  rDev +22.7%

A - the beer light brown, with nice head.

S - Smells of some citrus along with hop aroma, cannot really smell the Chipotle.

T - Sweet malt with a hint of raisin flavor, not too sweet not to astringent.

M - I do not taste the Chipotle, I love spicy, and it might be spicy for someone else, but I do not see it. the mouth feel is nice

D - drinks nice, a good beer, not really a spiced beer for my taste.

04-22-2008 16:16:22 | More by ledemie
nikdistler

4.38/5  rDev +22.7%

Great brew for the spring. Goes very well will salsa or any mexican dish for that matter. Complex flavoring, tends to get bolder the warmer it is as expected. Not alot of head, about 1/4 an inch depending on your pour. I would recomend this beer to everyone, a great treat!

05-19-2010 23:47:07 | More by nikdistler
Buggies

4.38/5  rDev +22.7%

My first chile style beer, so I can't really score per the style.

Pours a pretty golden color with a thin head. Aromas are sort of mute. Smells sweet with citrus and fruit from the hops. Sweet malt aromas dominate the nose I think.

Tastes great. Has a sort of fruity and citrusy backbone from the hops. Light accents of sweet malt. I don't really get a lot of flavor from the chiles, but their heat is most definitely there.

The heat gets more noticeable as you drink it. It's not overbearing at all. And I got to say that this heat in beer is an interesting concept. It adds that background flavor that just makes it interesting.

07-13-2011 18:05:11 | More by Buggies
BeerLover99

4.38/5  rDev +22.7%

A: cloudy rust orange body, finger white head,
great lacing

S: smoky chipotle peppers, earthy malt, hint of pine

T: mild lemon grass, pine, earthy malt,
low slow roasted/chipotle smoky bitter/spice

M: med body, smooth/semi-dry mouth

O: WOW! This beer surprised me. Grabbed it
celebrate Cinco de Mayo and mad I didn't
grab more for future Mexican food nights.

DELICIOUS, GRAB A BOTTLE!

05-05-2012 20:09:14 | More by BeerLover99
BrewMaster

4.43/5  rDev +24.1%

Appearance: Poured from the bottle with a reddish brown color and a thin white head. The head has some nie stickiness and leaves a good amount of lacing on the sides of my sniffer glass.

Smell: Wow, this smells like a smoked beer (Rauchbier). It smells roasty and like roasted vegetables.

Taste: Very smokey, malty, and roasty. It has a veggie character to it and some sweetness. There is a sweet flavor of roasted pepper skin as well as black peppercorns and a fresh cut grass. This a very tasty beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth. Coats the mouth well and allows me to enjoy the flavor with all of my taste buds.

Drinkability: Very good, very tasty and original. It'[s smooth and well done. I really like the roasted pepper taste in here.

07-02-2005 18:12:28 | More by BrewMaster
tavernjef

4.43/5  rDev +24.1%

A mold of clouded copper. Small, unlasting cap of big bubbly froth. Light lacing with some strings and tiny spots.

Aroma is lovely with a huge smokey malt and roasted pepper waft.
Round and spicy, smokey and resonating. Nice!

Taste is just as nice with moderate malts giving weight to the smokey ridge in which it rides. Fun lingering finish with the smokey leftovers and grab of roasted pepper spice. It wavers on the palate for good length with smokey pepperness. Quite nice. Never over the top with its spice, but definately present.

Feel is a sturdy medium body with a malty centered middle and one fun finish with the smokey spices and lightly textured dryness.

A drinkable, fun brew to behold if in the mood for something out of the ordinary. Perfectly spiced and smokey for this Northern boys' buds.

03-08-2006 01:50:04 | More by tavernjef
armstrnj

4.43/5  rDev +24.1%

Just want to start by saying that a Chipotle pepper is one of my favorite flavors, on/in anything. So naturally I was excited about this beer.

A- Even the color looks smoky, nice rust orange cloudy. Foreshadows the flavor.

S- Smells just like I hoped it would. Pepper aroma thats not over powering.

T- I don't know what a "perfect" chili beer tastes like but this will work for me. Great southwest spiced flavor with a hint of malt. Not overpowering or spicy but just dang tasty.

M- Good carbonation and just a touch dry, which works with the pepper flavors

D- I could see how after a few the taste would get old but I enjoyed the heck out of the one I had. Would be great with a southwest dish of comparable flavors.

Overall great beer and a different taste. This beer exceeded what I thought a chipotle beer would be like.

02-03-2011 19:32:13 | More by armstrnj
ditch

4.45/5  rDev +24.6%

I picked this up because I flat out love chipotle peppers. I only had one other beer with peppers before and it was a porter. Anyhoo...

Poured a nice cloudy copper with a nice thick bone white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass about halfway through. Lacing is thin but slightly sticky. Overall a good looking ale.

The aroma is malty and smokey. After the first sip the smokey aroma leaves the nose and brings out the malts. Slightly sweet, a little woody.

This is an example of a beer that lives up to it's expectations. There is a quick malty sweetness in the front and then... did I eat a chipotle pepper? haha no! this has the perfect taste of chipotle peppers. The smoke comes through as if you had just ate something cooked with the peppers. The heat is in the background, but not over powering.

The mouthfeel is light and the carbonation is spot on. Again the spice is here with heat in the back of your throat, but not overwhelming.

Drinkability is good, but after drinking an entire bomber, I am not craving more. This beer has served it's purpose and I'm ready to move on. You'd have to be a big pepper fan to drink this one all night.

Well with all that being said, I'm glad I picked this one up. And, also glad I have another one in the fridge. I almost feel like attempting this as a homebrew to give as gifts. Thanks Rogue! Well played!

04-26-2010 18:09:06 | More by ditch
Abrandonship

Nevada

4.45/5  rDev +24.6%

Appearance:
I poured this beer directly from the bottle into red wine glass. The liquid was a reddish copper color and the head was a very pale tan. Just a shade off of white.

Smell:
The malt in this beer is very noticeable. The smell that the chipotle gives off is very faint. It's as if you walked into a room where chipotles where on display, rather than holding one up to your nose.

Taste:
The taste of this beer is very unique. The hop flavor is almost inevident, but chipotle fills that hole very nicely. It isn't a strong chile flavor though (scoville-phobes need not avoid this brew). The chipotle taste is not overbearing and definitely not spicy.

Mouth feel:
Drinking this beer gives me the feeling of having eaten a very spicy meal about 45 minutes ago. I just have a sort of a very gentle tingling in the gums and palate. I'm not sure I described that correctly, but it's a very enjoyable feeling.

Overall:
This is a very nice beer and a unique one to experience. This is my first chile beer, and I hope to explore many more offerings in the genre.

FULL DISCLOSURE: Though I wouldn't even call this spicy, I do enjoy really spicy food and the feeling you get from it.

09-09-2012 22:40:22 | More by Abrandonship
johnniemarg

4.47/5  rDev +25.2%

Appearance is a translucent amber-orange with a huge tan head. The individual bubbles on the side of the glass look larger than usual. Gorgeous lacing as I drink it down.

The smell is smoky chipotle. It's overwhelming.

Taste is, you guessed it, smoky chipotle. I've had beer infused with hot peppers before and they were disgusting. This one is great. It's not hot, it just gives you the smoke and the flavor of the chipotle pepper. There's a sweet smooth malt flavor underneath the chipotle. I made some enchiladas the other day with chipotles in them and I can't wait to eat the one I'm warming, accompanied by this beer, as soon as I finish this review. I love chipotle peppers and I can't believe it works this well in a beer.

Nice thick creamy mouthfeel.

This stuff is awesome. I wish I could have one of these every time I have mexican food.

01-24-2006 01:39:28 | More by johnniemarg
goochpunch

4.47/5  rDev +25.2%

Pours out a rich amber with moderate carbonation and a khaki head that settles to a sturdy, dimpled, and wavy 1/2". Leaves Very fine lace patterns. Smell is of faint chipotle at first, followed by a rich bready and nutty maltiness, floral hops, a smokiness (removed from the chile) not unlike that of a Scottish ale, and some buttery notes. Chipotle really comes out in the forefront of the flavor. Beneath it, I get a bready and nutty malt backbone, filled out with some soft, floral hops flavors. Finishes dry and slightly bitter. Mouthfeel is substantial, not too heavy or thin, with a softness in the carbonation that makes this wonderful. Leaves a little heat on my lips and a little bit less on the tongue. This would be a great session.

This could be written off as some sort of novelty beer, but I really think the chipotle works excellently at accenting the pale ale/amber ale base. Really reminds me of a Scottish ale but with a hint of chile.

11-12-2006 05:08:06 | More by goochpunch
Perrumpo

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev +26.1%

Purchased a bomber at Beltway Fine Wine nearby, poured into a DFH snifter.

I'm a fan of smoked and chili pepper type beers, so I had to buy it when I saw it and was excited to try it. It definitely lived up to its expectations!

Pours a reddish medium brown with light-tan head about 2 fingers tall. You can smell that smoked and chipotle aromas, and you can certainly taste them, too. I love the smoke flavor this beer has. It really tastes like the smoked chipotle ground spice I have in the cabinet... and in a very good way! It would certainly make a great stout, too.

02-28-2011 23:44:36 | More by Perrumpo
DrainBamage

4.55/5  rDev +27.5%

I wasn't sure what to except of this beer since the last chile beer I had was Crazy Ed's and I didn't care for that one bit. Based on the BA rating and knowing that it's a Rogue Ale I knew I wouldn't be let down. It pours a cloudy brown color with little head. For some reason I was excepting a strong chile smell, but it is quite mild as it that of brown ale. With the mouthfeel you have a nice sense of carbonation and is smooth. The taste is similar to a brown ale, but has hint of another flavor I just can't pinpoint. Even for people that don't like the idea of chile in beer should give this at try, I was pleasantly surprised and can easily drink several of these. Two thumbs up on this one.

04-24-2005 21:37:18 | More by DrainBamage
jwhancher

4.55/5  rDev +27.5%

Pours a cloudy orange with amber highlights. Nice orangish fluffy head. Smells mostly malty, but as it warms you ger a nice subtle smokey pepper character. Tastes fantastic! The chipotles really shine through and are beautifully balanced with the malts. Virtually no hop character - I'd imagine they're strictly for bittering purposes at 35 IBUs. Feels medium with very nice balance between malts, hops, & spices. Really well done pepper beer. Something I'd like to brew myself. Pleasantly surprised!

Note: do not drink this beer with anything that is chipotle spiced. I had a chipotle spiced chicken burrito (homemade) and it completely masked this beer. I'd say try it with something neutral to spice up your meal. And don't worry: there's no noticeable heat in this brew - just yummy goodness.

10-03-2012 23:17:36 | More by jwhancher
Zorro

4.63/5  rDev +29.7%

From a 22 Oz Bomber.

Pours little hazy red to red amber colored ale.

Smell is malt and jalapeno tang on the first sniff. More effort reveals some dark roasted malt and a little spicy tickle from the peppers. Smoke comes next as you really concentrate on it and it starts to smell like a barbecue. There is also the scent of jalapenos baked into cornbread here. There is no mistaking the wonderful scent of roasting Chili peppers; I love that smell! This kindles for me memories of Chilie roasting time in Albuquerque New Mexico.

Taste is dry and SMOKEY! Smokey enough to show a lot of other smoked beers how to do it. A very good flavor of Jalapeno here that fruity and tart flavor is unmistakable. This brew accentuates the flavor of dried Chipotles perfectly; the fresh version would have more sweetness from the flesh of the pepper. Nice solid bitterness in the finish that mimics perfectly the slight bitterness you get from a little bit of charred pepper skin in fresh roasted chilies. Only possible improvement would be slightly more sweetness but I suspect those sugar just would never escape getting munched by the yeast. This isn't hot at all to me but I grew up in the Southwest and was eating hot peppers before I became conscious of my own existence.

Mouthfeel is very good.

Drinkable as all hell! To me THIS is the ultimate Barbecue or Tex-Mex beer. Or I would drink it anytime; I am a major Chilie Head.

08-05-2005 02:23:40 | More by Zorro