Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,348 | Reviews: 697
3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

On tap at Beer Run in Charlottesville, VA.

Appearance: Pours a reddish mahogany, with a small amount of persistent head and plenty of lacing.

Smell: Faint, in general, with hints of smoke and spice, as well as some sweet malty notes.

Taste: I ate nachos right before having this beer, and I'm now regretting it--tastes slightly hot, VERY peppery. The jalepeno taste is not particularly overpowering, but was a little too much at that point for me.

Mouthfeel: Interesting. Very light and smooth, but ends with a kick with the peppers, which are primarily present as an aftertaste. The lower level of carbonation works really well to compliment the spices--I have a feeling that much more would have just made it far too fizzy.

Drinkability: Not too great for this one. To be fair, I was a little tired of the spicy taste already, but I don't think it would be easy to drink regardless. It's not a bad beer--in fact, it's a pretty interesting one--but it's more of a novelty than anything I think I'd actively seek out again. I just feel like something's missing...

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance: amber-hued body with a thinnish, near white head. decent lacing.

Smell: toasty amber malts, nice smokey aromas

Taste: wow, nice and smokey, but low heat. I was expecting more pepper heat on the backend and through throat. disappointe din that.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body.

Drinkability: decent beer, could have used more heat. Ot's a chili beer!

Drunk from a pint-glass, on-tap at Rogue Ale House

Hate/love tasting of this brew

A - Nice and dark, brownish

S - Peppery

T - Goes in like a dark ale, porter, half-stout; then peppers kick in, nice sensation, but then just ramming the buds like a tabasco kick. A bit much, but I looked forward to another sip, though I knew it wouldnt be for a bit.

D - Slow drinking brew. Definitely not a consecutive brew for my taste, but enjoyable. Worth a try.

I would be curious as to the ABV on this one (above it says "?")

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottle was given to me by a Rogue rep. Poured into a pint tumbler.

A: Poured an orange color with a bit of cloud to it. Little head with little retention.

S: Smells mostly sweet with malt in there. Has a smokiness that I can only assume is the chipolte.

T: Actually pretty good. The sweetness of the malt really carries this beer far. On the backend, the chipolte bite tickles the back of your tongue and throat. Nothing too crazy with spice, very subtle.

M: Finishes pretty clean and has some decent carbonation to help this beer along. Aftertaste is a bit of chipolte bite that lingers in your throat.

D: This is definitely a beer to be had with a meal. Would really complement some BBQ or mexican food. I wouldn't drink this as a relaxing beer on a night after work, but given the right circumstances I would drink this again.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Served in a pint glass at the Bronx Ale House.

A: Pours a clear, light orange/red. One finger tan head that sticks around and laces a bit.

S: Smoky, but not overpoweringly so. A good amount of sweet malt to balance it.

T: Not at all what I had expected. I'm not picking up too much heat in this beer at all. It's smoky, and there's a definite an adobe/chipotle undercurrent throughout. But it's also quite malty, a mellow sweet bread flavor. Some tingly hops, too.

M/D: Carbonation is pretty low, and mouthfeel is fairly light. I liked the taste at first, but by the end, the smokiness wore out its welcome and I was ready to switch. I think this beer has a lot of potential when paired well with food, but it's a bit much on its own.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Bomber poured into my favorite bomber-sized glass.

A nice head formed, which took a while to settle, eventually with no lace. Initially very murky, yet no visible yeast deposits; a beautiful red color, but it never cleared up. I like murky beers, but not consistently murky beers and not when it's unexplainable.

The nose was interesting--I expected more chipotle, but that was subtle and balanced by some expected and some unexpected hints, including a faint medicinal scent and some magic marker--but not much. Oddly, the nose, for me anyway, was mixed to the point that it was hard to pick out particular scents. It smelled like ale, but mysteriously, and I liked that. Like all Rogue flavored beers, a general synthetic nose was present, but less so than in other offerings (which I have not liked).

The taste was strange--because it was not that strange. I'm not sure how this beer could get bad reviews. It's not that great, but it's not over-the-top, like the chicory Dogfish Head, IMO one of the worst beers I've ever had. In fact, I like this better than the other Rogue flavored beers, including those which are lauded by BA reviewers. If anything, I would have liked more heat promised by the title, and I think it would have been better with more hops.

The mouthfeel was poor--the carbonation is too much like soda. That, to me, interferes with its drinkability as well.

Unlike most novelty beers, I'm glad I tried this one. If it were cheaper, I'd try it again, but there are so many outstanding bombers available for just $1 more in Columbus (this was $4), like Hop Rod Rye, the Avery barleywine ... yeah, especially those two. I'm glad a Rogue flavor bomber finally came through for me.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Reddish copper, thin layer of patchy head - 4.00, S: Subtle smoke on the nose along with the zest of the jalapenos, very earthy aroma, hops are hard to discern but a hearty malt backing is apparent, a more pleasant smell than I would generally expect from a chile beer - 4.00, T: A medium malt base, definite heat but far from overpowering, a very veggie quality to the beer, some hop bite on the tail - 3.50, M: Medium bodied - 3.50, D: Chile beers certainly aren't a some draw to me, but this one is reasonable to the point of making it quite drinkable - 3.50

3.66/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from the bomber into a glass. Producing just under an inch of white head. color is a very pale, hazy golden amber.
Retention leaves a generous collar.
Aroma is a bit ashy, mild sweet graininess, with a little sourdough breadyness. although aroma is pretty faint and not forward at all.
Flavors of toasted cherry wood, light malts, spice through the finish with more toasted wood flavors. Mild bittering hops through the finish as well with bready flavors too.
Mouthfeel is light with moderate carbonation.

This here is a good sessionable brew, would purchase again.

3.66/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance is a copper color. Not much head forms and what does disappears quickly.

Smell is very weak. I can not get much at all ... some very weak malt aromas.

Taste is a smokey pepper one. I taste the pepper which is why I drink this style. One can not give me enough pepper in a brew. I'll trade for any chile beer you have!

Mouthfeel is on the thin side but I like the burning sensation.

Overall I like this beer as a very drinkable one.

3.67/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours an amber golden colour, with a filmy head of creamed-honey coloured head, a little lacing, but it's very filmy. Quite pale, can't say I'm a huge fan, to be honest, but it's ok.

Lots of sweetness on the nose, very honey-like; almost reeking of it, with the sort of floral notes that come from specific honey varieties as well. Some light smokiness, but not a huge amount - quite subdued for what I was expecting. But it's a very pleasant aroma nonetheless.

Smokiness is far more pronounced on the palate, with a really sweet-smoked character coming through, like honey baked ham. Some crispness on the finish, with a rather dry character. Mouthfeel is incredibly tingly, partly from carbonation, and probably from the peppers, but it does add a zing to the smoke characters.

I've had better smoked beers, but the smoky characters on this one are quite well done. I fear that this beer, unlike others I've had, doesn't have quite as good a base recipe - but it's certainly quite pleasant, and drinkable enough for what it is.

Certainly the best chile beer I've yet tried.

3.67/5  rDev +3.1%

Burned the devil with this one on 7/22/2004. 16-oz. pour at Redbones in a shaker glass.

Hue was amber to a slight vermilion. Little head to speak of; just a faint skein. Peppery spiciness accentuated by a grotto-like outer roundness to the whole nose gay. Not sure which hot peppers were used in this – chipolte, cascabel, California hybrid, Anaheim, jalapeno, pequin, or serrano – but whatever they were, they fired right through my lips, leaving a scalding trail up my tongue, through the roof of my mouth and up into my skull. And I loved it. There also seemed to be a slight cream edge, like baker’s chocolate. The spice didn’t really catch fire until five or six seconds after each swallow. I was happy that the only other thing I was eating at Redbones on this visit was water, and not their barbecue, because I think that would have been sheer overkill. Overall, this is a medium-bodied offering and one that I would choose to have more than one of if my tongue would allow it. I truly enjoyed this unusual pour, and in the end, it packed no more heat than a few drops of Tabasco.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into a pint glass.
shared 1/2 of a 22oz bottle with a friend.

a: Foamy two finger head, with great retention that lasted the whole beer. Good dark copper, wood color.

s: Not impressed by the smell, it smells like beer, but I was hoping for something a little bit more spicy of an aroma.

t: The taste is explosive. The hints at vanilla and pine reflect on the spicy notes from the chipotle. The off-tastes are that of the spicy chipotle pepper. The first time I had tried this beer, I could not find the spicy notes, but this time...(is this the same beer>)

m: Short mouthfeel, that of a ale that is dry and quick off the palate.

d: Not the most drinkable beer, not that I do not enjoy the style or the ale, but a pepper or spiced beer is in my preference best enjoyed time to time. Maybe I will wait a week before more.

notes: Rouge, taking the brewing to another limit and the result is this bright, and tasty chipotle beer. Really good, perhaps the best pepper beer I have had in a long time.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

I love peppers. I love beer. So why not try them together? My experience with spiced or pepper beers has largely been limited to the famous - or infamous - Cave Creek Chili Beer. I've always had a soft spot for that beer, though it's admittedly gross now that I've moved on to bigger and badder beers. Pours a red bordering on copper. Nice balooning head with some pretty impressive amount of lacing. Moderate carbonation levels. Aroma is all smokey chipotle pepper and not much else. If you're not a fan of the chipotle favor it'll be pretty overwhelming. Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied, with low carbonation. Flavor is smoked chili powder mixed into a red ale. Medium caramel sweetness in the finish with some temperate pepper. This beer would go great with barbecue, like burnt ends or spare ribs. Standing alone it's merely an interesting execution on the pepper beer style, heads and shoulders above Cave Creek but lacking something. Pair something with it - I pulled out some local smoked pepper jack cheese - and it really shines.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Had a bomber of this earlier this evening and yeah, this was a pretty spicy brew. This is the first time I had tried anything of its kind and Rogue's always put out good stuff.

Appearance was a nice red/amber ale color with a nice head and excellent lacing. This stuff certainly clung to the sides of the glass and even after the head dissipated, the lacing still kept intact.

Smell was strong with hot peppers (naturally) and hops. For a spicy beer, this stuff certainly was spicy, but was a little overpowering over the smell of the ale.

Taste was really good. As an ale, it was delicious, but the hot peppers thrown into the mixture not only made it spicy and pleasant, it certainly made it much more bitter and pleasing.

Mouthfeel was pretty good, but not too great. While the pepper flavors still tingled, the rest of the stuff faded somewhat quickly.

Drinkability is pretty good however. For an experimental style beer, this is certainly one for the bitter tongues and hot sauce elite. Definitely not a bad Rogue brew at all.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

I bought this beer with high expectations. I enjoy many of Rogue's brews. Poured a clear reddish color with a pretty good head. Smelled fairly citrusy, I was trying to detect any chipotle pepper spice but must have been way in the back. The taste was a little surprising. A bit thin and I was really hoping for a heavy pepper taste. There was a noticable "heat" but for the most part it was fairly well balanced. I guess it is good it isn't too overpowering or it would be hard to quaff.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

This beer is all about subtlety. There is no chili pepper floating inside the bottle but the chipotle presence is there nonetheless, lurking around under the surface. Peppery and smoky but not overwhelmingly so with a malt sweetness beneath. Pours a clear amber and carries a unique, not unpleasant aroma.

The first thing my wife and I both thought was how to pair this with food as this seems a good choice for a broad range of meals. It's not an everyday beer nor is this a big beer (especially served as we did it right after the Imperial IPA. What were we thinking?) but a solid experience and one I wouldn't mind to repeat. Try it if you're curious. It's not THAT out there.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

It pours a clear and glinty ruby/amber, fairly carbonated. A finger of whitish head slips quickly to a paisley foam film. Runes of lacing interate on the glass.

The aroma has a slightly malty earthiness which is promptly trumped by the flinty vegetal edge of the chipotle partnered with a mild spiced smoky haze.

A taste brings a flash of toasted malt, rather short-lived but present, that cedes so soon to a mildly smoky presence of chipotle, springing up visions of the pepper's skin and ribs. The spicy bitterness of the pepper comes through toward the end more prominently. The finish carries a snappy bite and gently lingering bitterness. It's maybe not the finest mating or elements, but it is interesting how it makes you imagine a capsaicin glow that's not really there.

Between light and medium bodied, the light smoke and peppery snap make it almost tangible, leaving a mellow glow behind.

I really wasn't sure what to expect from a chile beer after Cave Creek ruined my sense of adventure in that direction for quite some time, but what stands out is how real the pepper becomes as you drink. It's a pretty wild diversion, the way it presents something new and unusual to the palate. It is reasonably drinkable, but that's mitigated by the character that gives it an almost novelty status. It's not destined to become a favorite, but it does go to show that most things in life are worth trying at least one time.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

this was an exciting drink for me because we paired it with some shrimp and hot link pasta with a chipotle cream sauce. this is our first true pairing we made of beer and food.

-ambery with a decent head

-there is some spiciness on the nose but not as much as you'd expect

-i have had there beer on tap before and i feel i like it more with the food pairing. it was a nice blend of the 2 spices from each punchin each other in your mouth. there was also some nice hops goin on and a definite woody, smoky taste which is expected

-like i said it was nice really feeling the 2 go at each other and explode in the mouth. once i drank some after i was done eating, the beer chipotle started to come through a little more

-i wouldnt really order this beer unless for some reason it was the only micro around at a bar

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

This cloudy golden brew poured a tight white head that left very little lace. Smokey, floral and sweet plum aromas are slight. The earthy and buttery flavors don't stop the smoked chipotle peppers from asserting themselves. I don't know if the warming feeling is from the peppers or the alcohol, but it's nice. My expectations of Mexicali were low but to my surprise i enjoyed it alot.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I did not get the fact that in the ingredients it mentions Chipotle, but in the description Jalapeños, but they are completely different.
Amber color with a small head with a medium retention.
Aroma of chipotles, but not aggressive, with hints of floral hops and sweet malts on the background.
Fruity taste mixed with dry-smoked chipotles and floral hops. Dry and mildly bitter aftertaste with a residual spicy feeling in your throat and condiments on your tongue. On a second, the smoked flavor is so present that may not come just from the Chipotle.
Medium body with good carbonation.
Interesting beer, I liked the fact they limited the amount of chipotle added to the recipe, and its hops helps to refresh it. That would be a great beer to mix on a blind taste session. It is the kind that I am glad I tried it but not sure I would seek this again, but I would sure drink it again if it knocks my door.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

The first chile beer I've ever reviewed.

Appearance- Pours a very deep copper amber hue with only light bubbling but some noticeable lacing. The color is just awesome, I must reitorate. A little feline foam remains for only a couple of sips.

Smell- Very oddball smokey amber malt aroma. Not like the amber malts but of mildly spicey vegetables. Prety unique. The chipotle does makes its presence known.

Taste- Starts with a normal red ale toasty and biscuity flavor. Then the toast turns into smoke. Pepper smoke. A nice, easy, and very palateable chipotle aroma. Very interesting mix of a traditional amber ale. with soem smokey and slighlkty spicey peppers.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber. on the side of the bottle, right near the bottom, printed in hard-to-see black ink is "009 B1 1736", whatever that means. tasted in mid-may 2009.

coppery amber and semi-dark honey. clear. 2-finger off-white head is foamy, rocky. fades to wispy layer. great lacing, foamy, and nearly a full curtain further down the glass.

very malty aroma, caramel, hint of apple esters, trace of hop, faint chile pepper tingle. rogue's signature pacman house yeast is pretty easy to pick out.

malty, almost savory flavor continues on the palate. mild hops and gentle chile note seem to mix with the faint fusel or spicy phenols. and the mild to moderate bitterness thus peaks, then lingers. some fruity esters peek through, but the fusel and phenolic note starts to get slightly distracting. sometimes this is the thing about pacman that i'm just not fond of. faint tingle of heat from the chiles.

light to medium body, smooth, with touch of resin and astringency (from phenols?) in finish. moderate carbonation is lightly prickly, but momentarily peaks with the phenols, and at this moment is accentuated a bit over-the-top...

nonetheless, an interesting novelty.

22 oz. bomber, no freshness date

A - Pours cloudy amber with a half-finger of off white head that quickly drops to a thin, but sticky cap with decent lace.

S - A bit of sweet malts, smoky chipotles, black pepper

T - Again, a bit of malt sweetness up front. Swallow reveals a touch of hop bitterness. Finishes with a bit of lingering jalapeno heat, really nothing major for my tongue. It does build a little towards the end of the bottle though.

M - Body on the light side of moderate, with moderate carbonation.

D - A really fun brew to try and worth picking up, even if it's only once. I'd definitely drink it again though, especially with mild-to-moderately spicy food or a steak-y fish (tuna, sword, etc.)

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Shimmering, juicy orange with intimations of copper and edges of gold bullion. If a color can suggest quality, this one does. The cream colored head is as foamtastic as most other Rogue offerings. It's thickly creamy and is semi-rocky as it melts. Even though I'd like more lace, that borders on nitpicking when the color and the head are this good.

I don't know that I'd have been able to identify this as a chile beer by scent alone. Yeah, it's spicy, but chile pepper wouldn't have been high on my list of guesses. There isn't much to go on. I guess that chipotle peppers carry a small stick when it comes to aroma, a big stick when it comes to flavor and an even bigger stick when it comes to heat. Thankfully, with warming, the nose opens up a little.

Chipotle Ale isn't bad, although I'm not blown away by the flavor or the heat. According to the brewery, Rogue Oregon Golden Ale serves as the base beer. That seems like a good, neutral choice that would allow (in theory at least) the flavor of the roasted peppers to shine. The beer is well-malted with a slightly sweet underbelly that goes well with a modest hoppy bitterness and a less than awe inspiring amount of spicy heat.

The hop bill consists of Willamette and Cascade. The bright citrusiness of the latter is another nice counterpoint to the earthy pepper flavor. This beer is all about contrasts. It's just too bad the contrasts aren't more pronounced. The flavor lacks the zestiness that should be a major part of any chile beer. It isn't like these guys to ease off the accelerator.

It must have been difficult to decide how much chile pepper to add. Too little and why bother? Too much and you've recreated the abomination that is Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chile Beer. In my opinion, Rogue should have upped the flavor and heat by at least 50%. I have a minimal burn going, although it's really more of a warm tickle. I've come to expect quality mouthfeels from this brewery and I've yet to be disappointed. This one is medium, lithe, supple and is a pleasure in the mouth.

Chile beer tends to be polarizing. Looking at some of the scores, Chipotle Ale is no different. On this one, however, I find myself gravitating toward some middle ground. I think I want more of a chipotle presence, but I'm not sure if I'd like the beer that I'm suggesting they brew. If anyone out there is worried about overwhelming roasted pepper flavor and mouth numbing heat, don't be. This is a relatively tame chile beer and, in the end, is an enjoyable one.

3.69/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

tap

Pours a orange amber color with a bit of lacing.

Scent of caramel and bready malts with a hint of spice and honey.

Mild brown-ale type flavor, caramel and biscuits, with a noted spice bite to it.

Light tingle of carbonation.

Pretty decent spiced ale, actually better than I expected, pretty good flavor and worth trying.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales