Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chipotle AleChipotle Ale

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 692 | Hads: 1,376
2.9/5  rDev -19.2%

Nice head that didn't hang around leaving ok lacing. A smokey nose. A HUGE smokey flavor with the slight bite coming through at the end. I expected a heavier mouthfeel and I thought it was a little on the thin side. Overall a really interesting beer and I recommend that you try it. I couldn't finish what I had been given - I found the taste too overwhelming to drink a pint of it but i liked it. I am thinking of using it in recipes, maybe in my Beer Cheese soup, or maybe in place of a stout in gravy.

2.91/5  rDev -18.9%

Red hued amber in colour. Creamy eggshell coloured foam retains moderately well and leaves a spotty lace. Muted aromas of toast and smoke. Tastes toasty with chipotle smokiness. Slight tang. Mild bitterness. Barely even a tingle of warmth from the peppers. Medium bodied with soft carbonation. Feels smooth. I'm quite disappointed they played it safe with the chipotle, there is only a little smoke and almost no spice to be found in this beer. It doesn't taste bad, but it fails to meet expectations. A beer called Chipotle Ale should taste like chipotles.

2.91/5  rDev -18.9%

The beer pours a nice red color, no real head to speak of. Not bad. The nose is disappointing. Some malt aroma, no hops, no pepper smell. I expected more, from Rogue and from the billing on the bottle.

The taste is SMOKEY. They call it subtle, but it ain't. No spice really, just smoke. Not what I was expecting. I wanted to get some pepper out of it, but it just wasn't really there. Felt good in the mouth, slight burn that was reminicent of pepper.

I dont think I will have another one of these. I admit I am not always a fan of smoke beers, but I love my peppers. I was disappointed.

2.91/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours a clear ruby amber with a medium tan head, well carbonated. Aroma is sweet and malty, not much in the way of herbs or peppers to be found.

Taste is mostly malt, toasted and bready-sweet with a touch of herbal dryness. Nothing immediate in the way of chile flavors, as one would expect, but a subtle, smokey vegetal chile element builds over time. No perceptable heat at all, at least by me. Yawn.

Mouthfeel is medium and clean, easy to drink. The chiles lend a nice earthiness but it would be hard to characterize this alongside other chile beers. A good choice with the chipotles but you could double or triple the amount (chipotles are among the mildest peppers) and get a much better beer.

2.96/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a cloudy brown, with a large light-brown head.

Aroma is surprisingly muted. There is a hint of smoked wood, and my imagination could pick up the smell of the chipotle, but only because I read it on the label. Otherwise it would have been overlooked.

Flavor was much more apparent than the aroma. It has a flat, woody base, followed by the chipotle smoke, with a hint of dark smokiness that reminds me of smoldering leaves. The amount of chipotle flavor is just right. It’s dominant, but not overbearing or hot.

Mouthful was fine, if maybe a bit boring. The chipotle flavor is going to keep you occupied, so this is a case of “if you don’t notice it, you’re doing your job”.

Drinkability is below average for a beer beverage, but above average for a chili beer. The flavor of the chipotle is spot on, it doesn’t taste fake or powdery, so I imagine it’s a real ingredient. However, I doubt there are many people that are hankering for liquid chipotle, and I don’t think there are many repeat customers. They’ll try it once for the experience or a gag gift, or a true gift for a pepper head.

Speaking of pepper heads, I am one. Ironically, chipotles are my least favorite pepper even though they’re all the rage now. I’ve had a couple of extreme pepper beers, and they’re nasty, nasty, nasty. This beer is not one of those. It’s not great, but it is approachable.

2.96/5  rDev -17.5%

A- Copper with a finger of off white head

S- Could smell it as soon as I opened it. Smells strong of smocked meats, also getting caramel and roasted malts, some alcohol too.

T- Smokey and buttery; I get meaty and bbq flavors that are followed by some buttery and creamy flavors.

M- Light bodied; Watery and light but not crisp.

O- Not bad but really not that good. Didn't get much heat from the peppers. After drinking half the bottle I was ready to stop drinking it.

2.97/5  rDev -17.3%

excited to try this beer after reading the brothers review.

straight pour into nonic gets nice cascade with a two finger head. head is offwhite shrinking down quickly.

the aroma wafts up from the pour spicy orange malt, smells interesting enticing and delicious.

delicious upfront bitterness ends with a chipotle pepper kick. i taste both roasted and raw pepper flavors, infused quite well. leaves a bitter peppery aftertaste that lingers on and on.

this beer aint for the weak. it is bold on flavor and will challenge your conceptions of acceptability, bordering on ..not sure the right word,was gonna say cloying but it aint sweet, just chipotle-ish...which is interesting and nice and present but a bit hard to take in.

best appreciated when drinking slowly with food. need time off between sips on this one. but one damn interesting beer. the bitterness is great the chipotle may take some getting used to.

2.97/5  rDev -17.3%

poured a reddish brown to a dogfish head signature glass with a foamy tan head leaving a slight bit of lacing.

smoky nose, not much of a hint of chili.

taste of pepper and smoke up front and slightly bitter after.

not particularly refreshing, maybe best with spicy food (?)

average to below average.

22 oz bottle - cha cha!

A: Copper body with some dark rustic orange hues. Dismal white head that retains nothing of itself. Kind of boring.

S: Lackluster aromas... Malt bill is the stand out base here. Bready malts try to blend with some very faint piney hops. Some roasted vegetables and black pepper spice come through as the beer warms a bit.

T: Sipped cold, the flavor profile is virtually non-existent. The chipotle spice was completely masked, though as it warmed, the flavors became more evident. Watery grains and corn husk are present in the beginning and middle of the palate. The finish brings the chipotle peppers and leaves a slight warming sensation through your throat and chest -- nothing overbearing, don't worry.

M: Medium-bodied, nice smooth and even carbonation for the style - helps deliver the peppery flavors all over the palate.

In comparison to the only other Chile beer I've had, Theobroma, this misses a lot of points. The peppers are done correctly, not overbearing but present, although other than that, there is nothing else going on with this beer. Will NOT seek out again but worth trying for the curiosity of it.

2.98/5  rDev -17%

pours a light red with a thick tan head, and lots of lacing as this one drinks.
initially, I get a whiff of smokiness which reminds me a bit of pipe tobacco and leather. not unpleasant, but not what I was expecting.
the taste that hits you up front is definitely the BBQ-like smokey flavors, but I'm not getting much heat like you would from a hot pepper (which, perhaps, is not really the intention here). malty sweetness starts to come through as this one finishes, very little carbonation and a decent smooth mouthfeel.
I wasn't expecting to make this beer something I'd drink on the regular, but I was hoping for maybe a fun/gimmick type of brew that would be fun to buy every once and awhile to pair with appropriate cuisines. I think the smokey flavors don't really blend well with the malt and hops of an ale, and are better suited for a porter or stout. Definitely not a bad beer, I drank it all and enjoyed it for the most part, but not something I'd go out of my way to drink again.

2.98/5  rDev -17%

Picked this up with an assortment of other Rogue ales locally.

Pours out into an orange-reddish color with moderate head. Smells faintly of smoke and peppers. Taste is of some smoke, with the slow burn of some mild hot peppers that lasts quite a while. Overall, quote light, and not as overwhelming as some chili ales I have sampled, but the burn lasts longer than I would expect. I found myself nursing this over a long period of time, much longer than I would have had something similar without the peppers.

2.98/5  rDev -17%

Pours out a copper color. Head ends up pretty thin. Can definitely pick up the chipotles in the aroma. Taste is quite smokey and peppery. Has some hops but not as much as other Rogues. Maybe that's what is missing, I think this beer would go well with a lot of foods, especially with American summertime cuisine. Right now my tastebuds are looking for something to pair it with...feels a little bit oily in my mouth. Perhaps I may revisit this one when I can eat something with it.

2.99/5  rDev -16.7%

A - Hazy copper-amber, 1 and a half finger frothy off white head, good lacing.

S - Slightly pungent, peppers, light hops.

T - Balance of light hops and light malts, pepper kick, vegetable finish, watery.

M - Pretty smooth, moderate carbonation, oily vegetable aftertaste.

O - Not too good.

A - Amber body, low head.

S - Tabasco sauce, mild malts, no hops to speak of.

T - Tastes like a really neutral Amber with peppers added. I didn't hate it but it was not what I was expecting. Although idk what I was expecting from a beer n the "Chile Beer" category.

M/D - Middle of the road mouthfeel, I was able to finish my half of the bomber no problem but my tasting partner didn't do much damage and I've never seen him not finish a beer before.

Dirty light /red/orange in color. Little head. No lacing.

If I inhale really deep I can smell a hint of pepper. Other than that not much to speak of. Sort of smooth on the mouth. Goes down easy.

A cool concept for beer, but it just didn't really taste much like peppers or have any kick to it at all.

A - Amber color with a crystal clean and nice head, but not much lacing.

S - Smoke dominates the nose for this one. But its not a real strong smoke aroma.

T - There is a certain sweetness to this beer that is over taken by the smokey spice, peppers in here.

M - Light body, sharp carbonation. Actually burns like pepper, and has a dry finish.

D - One a night is about all I can handle. For myself this is not a session beer. Might go nice with mexican food.

3.02/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours an amber color with a copper hue, little to no head, and the carbonation appears limited.

Sweet toasted malt aroma with resin orange hops and hints of vanilla and pepper in the background.

The taste has a sweet acidic flavor with roasted malt and resin grapefruit/orange hops.

The mouthfeel is smooth with a medium body, dry slightly syrupy texture, soft and lively carbonation, and a metalic/chalky finish.

The pepper flavor along with the chalky finish limits the drinkability.

3.02/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours a nice amber colour with a soapy tan head that collars and leaves a small amount of lace at the top of the glass.

Whoa! I don't like this smell. It's like a weird, extremely astringent gasoline or magic marker smell with a chemically smoke overtone. It literally made me gag. I think I expected something softer and more peppery in tone.

The taste is sweet yet smoky after an oddly crisp start. Surprisingly malty and definitely better after it warms.

Mouth is light-medium bodied with a low carbonation. Gets malty and spicy on the back end.

I frankly didn't know that Chille Beer was a style (thought it'd be under herbed/spiced) and have never had one before so I'll give it a pass. But, the smell is just too much for me to consider drinking more than the two I bought already.

3.02/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Rogue Chipotle Ale
Brewed Spring 06, buvar 09/06
Medium pour in a stein.

Poured a hazy reddish brown with a small rocky white fully diminishing head.

Smelt of roasted habaneros and light dark bread.

Taste was upfront light sweet breadiness with the bitter roasted habanero taste kicking in afterwards and a touch of almost lemony acidity for a finish that is hidden by the spicyness. Mouthfeel was light, watery, with soft carbonation and light burning peppers.

Overall, the roasted habanero taste is subdued enough for this ale to be enjoyable, but is otherwise fairly boring tastewise.

3.03/5  rDev -15.6%

I love beer (duh) & I love spicy things so this seemed a natural choice.

Pours (from the 650 ml bottle) a nice light brown with a red tinge. The light tan head lasts but it left no lace to speak of.
Smell is disappointing. I could feel the chipotle spice (capsaicin) in my nose, tickling and tempting me but could smell nothing except hops & malt.
Taste is a bit better with smoke (chipotles are just smoked jalapenos after all), malt and a slight peppery (chipotle) taste.
A medium body with very light heat from the peppers, barley noticeable to a capsaicin addict like me. Not overly hoppy for a Rogue either. I'd say it's safe for the masses to try, not to spicy, not to hoppy, not too much of anything really. I expected more though.

3.03/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured from a 650 mL bottle into a nonic imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a reddish-tan color with a thick foamy tan head that dissipates slowly leaving nice lacing.

Smell: Malty with a kind of musky roasted pepper aroma in the background.

Taste: Tastes like, well, chipotle. Has a roasted pepper taste that pretty much masks whatever else this beer has to offer. Not too spicy, but the pepper flavor is a little overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Light, and pretty refreshing. The peppers add a nice bite to this as well.

Drinkability: An interesting beer. If you're looking for something interesting to pair with tacos (I did) or Mexican food, this might be the beer for it. Not necessarily something I will go to in the future, but worth a try.

3.05/5  rDev -15%

22 oz bomber. My first "chili" beer. Figured with Rogue you can't go wrong. Pours slightly hazy golden with an orange tinge. The Head looked nice but died in a hurry. Aroma is of nice bready maltiness with some slighty meaty aromas & a good dose of hops. Taste is very clean. There is nothing special here really. Some very slight fig fruitiness at first, which gives way to bitter hops & some spiciness. Nothing really jumps out. Clean mouthfeel & aftertaste, very drinkable but nothing to write home about. Mediocre offering from rogue. Probably better to spend your money on your favorite macro instead of this for the price.

3.05/5  rDev -15%

Appearance out of the pour was a dark amber. Aroma held malt and smokey spice. Taste was typical ale with distinct smokey pepper. Unique beer but the smokey chipotle flavor paired with a typical ale turned out distinct yet not tastey. Praise Rogue for originality.

3.05/5  rDev -15%

Hmmm… attention-grabbing. It pours a cloudy orange-brown. The head is moderate and pasty with great retention. It smells of chipotle (obviously) and smoky malts. Just a hint of fruitiness in the nose.

It is surprisingly smooth and soft on the palate. It is a little bready and just a tiny bit spicy. For me, the chipotle is overpowering. I wasn’t sure what I was looking for exactly, but I got a salsa flavored drink. The spiciness is from the chipotle and not from hops and it can get stronger as you drink. Nothing to be worried about though. Medium body and just a hint of citrus.

Rogue’s Chipotle Ale is interesting. The chipotle can be overpowering but if you are a lover of peppers, then this is a winner. This beer is not my favorite offering from Rogue, but they do have many more beers to offer. Mediocre in my book.

3.05/5  rDev -15%

A- Pours a nice coppery amber color, with a nice thick 2-3 fingers of head into pint glass.

S- An odd combination of bitterness, floral, and smokiness, definite pepper in the nostril, sweet, but distinct and different.

T- Honestly, I didn't enjoy the earthy, sticky, tingle from the off smoky chipotle flavor, nicely carbonated, but not balanced for me, too much on the taste buds. I generally like smoked peppers and the nice flavor associated with them, but this combination did not appeal to me.

M- Good carbonation, but an odd waxy feeling on the tongue and walls of mouth, goes down with a rough scratch.

D- One is more than enough, could not drink the entire bomber. The complexity that I was hoping for, and the balance of the sweet, bitter, and smoky peppers did not appear. Disappointed by this one.

Big fan of Rogue, but can do without this one. I would recommend to others to try it, but will not plan on doing this one again.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales