Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,370 | Reviews: 706
4.4/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Great beer with a great steak

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A nice smokiness. Wish it had a tad more heat. But still tasty.

3.11/5  rDev -12.6%

No chipotle taste at all.

4.11/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Had on tap. Might be the end of the keg because it was rather flat and no visible carbonation or lacing whatsoever.

3.88/5  rDev +9%

What a tasty treat - Doc’s first Chilli Beer review! And it’s Rogue Chipotle Ale! And I need one more thing to exclaim to make it 3 in a row - BEER! Beer indeed, that nectar of Ninkasi, that provider of awesome feelings (i.e. tipsy-drunk) and lubricant of society, we hail you - Ave! *awkward pause* So yeah, this isn’t actually the first Chilli Beer I’ve had (I’ve had maybe 3-4 of this style before) and I do have a pretty high tolerance for chillies - had a ghost chilli in my curry the other week - so I might enjoy this muchly [not really a word], oh yes. Side note: Today we’ll also find out if Doc can complete an entire Chilli Beer review without saying “¡Ay, caramba!”.

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Presents an alluring cloudy deep amber body with a tight 1 cm khaki head that slowly dies down to a light lace covering... tasty as bro! 9/10.

S: Upfront a hickory smoked chilli is complemented by touches of sweet caramel and a hint of milk chocolate - very nice but the smokiness overpowers the other characters, as smoke has a tendency to do, otherwise this is quite an appetizing aroma. 8/10.

T: First off: Chipotle = yum! Rogue has crafted an intriguing and complex Chilli Beer here that only hints at the heat of a real jalapeño, with notes of; Hickory smoke, jalapeño, caramel, pepper and earthy hops. Finish is slightly bitter and the hops almost go unnoticed in the melee of flavour types (sweet/spice/umami/bitter). There is an odd effect of the mouth drying out in the aftertaste... not sure what that is but it doesn’t detract any points for me. 8/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with a light but dense carbonation, alright. 7/10.

D: OK for me being a bit of a fresh-chilli-in-my-Vindaloo* fanatic the spiciness of this brew is definitely lacking - I mean your customer base for this beer are people who can handle a bit of spice so really Rogue could have amped up the chilli a bit more. Other than that it’s simply another decent Rogue beer - goes down well. I like it. Sure as hell beats their Voodoo Doughnut Pretzel, Raspberry & Chocolate Ale which was surprisingly boring. Oh yeah, ¡Ay, caramba! [Dammit Doc!] 7/10.

Food match: It’s in the beers name - black bean and rice burrito with chipotle sauce.

*Yes, I am insane.

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

Seemed a little bland with not a lot of hops. heavy on the chipotle.

3.82/5  rDev +7.3%

Something different when hops just aren't enough

2.69/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

It tastes like chewing tobacco, that is my justification of an outlier.

3.42/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pretty mild overall; not much aroma, but a decent mild smokey taste. Very drinkable and subtle; not as bad as all these reviews by a long shot.

2.61/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I'm getting the smoked peppers, but little else.

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tasty stuff! The pour is good - orange colour,two fingers of foamy head, a bit murky. There is a definite smoky chipotle nose - just enough to let you know what you are getting into. The flavour is very pleasant, a solid caramel malt base with just enough smoke and pepper heat. It is far from overpowering and in my books, very well done. I don't drink many beers like this, but I could certainly acquire a taste for them!

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - 3.5/5
Deep orange-brown, about one finger of light tan head. Quite clear. Carbonation is sparse.

Smell - 3.5/5
Sweet dark sugary malts, hints of chile peppers. A little alcohol aroma as well. The smell is kind of strange I think.

Taste - 3/5
Sip starts with a slightly watery, slightly sweet light malt flavor, transitions into a very earthy, slightly spicy (chile peppers) flavor. The end of the sip has some light alcohol flavor. I don't really like the earthiness of this beer. It makes the beer taste kinda like dirt. Or at least it brings to mind mental images of soil. The taste is not terrible, but this beer is not that great, and perhaps a little strange.

Mouthfeel - 3.25/5
Medium bodied. Carbonation is light. In between crisp and creamy. Overall fairly smooth.

Overall - 3.25/5
This beer was mediochre at best. It was way too earthy and was fairly flavorless, aside from a little bit of chile pepper spiciness. Definitely would not recommend this beer.

3.22/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Format: tall brown 650mL bottle, transluscent craft beer label.

Appearance: a deep orange -copper in colour with a light tan head that drops to a thick cap. Looks decent.

Aroma: definite chipotle chilli, some smoke and heavy malts. Decent.

Taste: again the chipotle chilli with those heavy malts. Really nothing special, but an okay chilli beer.

Aftertaste: a touch of chilli still and a bit dry on the finish.

Mouth feel: medium in body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Fairly crisp.

Overall: yet again a pretty standard beer from Rogue for AU$14 for a 650mL bottle. Not worth that price, and an average chilli beer. I haven't had a great Rogue beer yet.

2.29/5  rDev -35.7%

After having a fresh chili pepper porter from 3rd Wave and falling in love, maybe I'm biased. This beer did not live up to the hype for me. Lacking pepper flavor all together.

3.71/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A very nice smoked chipotle flavour. Not much heat though. Sweet malty taste is the backbone to this beer. Medium carbonation.

2.18/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Super spicy. Was not my cup I tea but taste is subjective. Me personaly I didn't care for it and will not purchase again

3.49/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

There is a smokeness from the chipotle peppers with little heat. It is not overpowering.

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Great smoke and flavor from the chipotle, but very little heat which gives a great balance. Pairs well with chili or most spicy dishes. Also great to cook with.

- just a hint of smoke in the smell
- distant smokey taste, much more subtle than the smoked ale
- a somewhat sharp heat in the finish

one of the few beers I have ever poured out, it was flat, oily, and tasted like liquid paprika, I was extremely disappointed and shocked. Considering the brewery it comes from and the esteem they accrue, I cannot understand how they allowed this to get onto shelves, I honestly don't think I have purchased another rogue beer since.

this beer is vile and tastes like an ashtray in a Mexican restaurant

3.37/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Picked this up at Top Hops in New York recently, having never had this before. I liked the idea of this but as others alluded to on here, this turned out to be a lot less spicy than I thought as this beer reminded me of a smoked offering more than anything else. If I had some sausage or similar meat to pair this with, it could have been great to along with that. Instead, this was a letdown and something that was filling and relatively easygoing, more than anything else.

Dark pour to this with a moderate head and a fair amount of carbonation. I was expecting this to be more potent in the nose and the taste but that wasn't the case here as the smoke and meat notes nearly overtook everything else. The chili felt like a weak jalapeno and not the kind that would make me reach for a glass of water. Mouthfeel was fairly thick but not cloying and the aftertaste had a hint of chocolate-chili to lend a heavy feel to the back of this beer.

Yeah, this was light on alcohol but that's not what you're going to notice about this beer should you be fortunate enough to finish this off. My friend couldn't do that with his allotment so I ended up drinking his share as well as what was left in the bottle. While not a drain pour, this is not a beer for most people and should only be tried to satisfy a curiosity. Probably something I wouldn't try again but nevertheless glad that I had once, and one of the few beers that cries out for a meal to go along with it. Clearly not one of Rogue's better offerings.

Poured from a bottle to a snifter.

Nice head, smells smokey.. Real smokey. Taste is what I expect. Smokey smokey. Not much heat maybe a little on the finish, it was a good tasting beer but I was looking for some heat not so much smoke flavor. Might buy again and pair it with food.

Too smoky overall but has a watery finish.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Rogue takes a lotta knocks on the site, but this was a malty, slightly sweet ale with some chew and a nice chipotle/mesquite heat to it. I liked it but would've preferred a higher abv.

3.36/5  rDev -5.6%

I really enjoyed this beer although I will admit I was hoping for more heat. Poured into a pint glass I immediately noticed the smoked profile of the peppers. This also played alot into the silky mouthfeel as the beer warmed. This is my first review so please bear with me. Cheers.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales