Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,369 | Reviews: 706
3.37/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Picked this up at Top Hops in New York recently, having never had this before. I liked the idea of this but as others alluded to on here, this turned out to be a lot less spicy than I thought as this beer reminded me of a smoked offering more than anything else. If I had some sausage or similar meat to pair this with, it could have been great to along with that. Instead, this was a letdown and something that was filling and relatively easygoing, more than anything else.

Dark pour to this with a moderate head and a fair amount of carbonation. I was expecting this to be more potent in the nose and the taste but that wasn't the case here as the smoke and meat notes nearly overtook everything else. The chili felt like a weak jalapeno and not the kind that would make me reach for a glass of water. Mouthfeel was fairly thick but not cloying and the aftertaste had a hint of chocolate-chili to lend a heavy feel to the back of this beer.

Yeah, this was light on alcohol but that's not what you're going to notice about this beer should you be fortunate enough to finish this off. My friend couldn't do that with his allotment so I ended up drinking his share as well as what was left in the bottle. While not a drain pour, this is not a beer for most people and should only be tried to satisfy a curiosity. Probably something I wouldn't try again but nevertheless glad that I had once, and one of the few beers that cries out for a meal to go along with it. Clearly not one of Rogue's better offerings.

Poured from a bottle to a snifter.

Nice head, smells smokey.. Real smokey. Taste is what I expect. Smokey smokey. Not much heat maybe a little on the finish, it was a good tasting beer but I was looking for some heat not so much smoke flavor. Might buy again and pair it with food.

Too smoky overall but has a watery finish.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Rogue takes a lotta knocks on the site, but this was a malty, slightly sweet ale with some chew and a nice chipotle/mesquite heat to it. I liked it but would've preferred a higher abv.

3.36/5  rDev -5.6%

I really enjoyed this beer although I will admit I was hoping for more heat. Poured into a pint glass I immediately noticed the smoked profile of the peppers. This also played alot into the silky mouthfeel as the beer warmed. This is my first review so please bear with me. Cheers.

4.19/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I'm trying to figure out if this version of the beer has changed much, if at all, from prior years because it was a lot better than I remember. The appearance of the poor was a dark amber hue with a light head. The smell was smokey with a little bit of pepper mixed in with the hops and malt smells. The taste and mouthfeel are what I love the most about the beer. The taste is deeply smokey with just a little bit of spice on the back of the throat. It makes the beer an easy pairing with Spanish and Indian food. The mouthfeel as well coats your cheeks so that there's a light tingle from the spice. Overall was very nice and for the price I found it at (7.99) not a bad buy.

3.88/5  rDev +9%

22 ounce bottle into signature pint glass, no bottle dating. Pours lightly hazy orange copper color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of caramel, toast, bread, chipotle pepper, light smoke, light citrus, floral, grass, and herbal/toasted earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of malt, hop, and chipotle pepper notes; with solid strength. Taste of caramel, toast, biscuit, chipotle pepper, light smoke, herbal, floral, grass, light citrus, and herbal/toasted earthiness. Slight herbal bitterness/pepper spice on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, toast, biscuit, chipotle pepper, light smoke, herbal, floral, grass, and toasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and robustness of malt, pepper, and light hop flavors; with minimal pepper heat and no cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth and crisp mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice chile beer! All around good balance and robustness of malt, pepper, and light hop flavors; and very smooth to drink with the minimal heat from the peppers. A very enjoyable offering.

3.57/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber to nonic pint glass.

A: Amber in color, thin head, slight lacing.

S: Jalapeno, Honey, some Hops.

T: Slight hop bitterness, good warm chipotle finish that lingers for a bit.

M: Light carbonation.

O: Decent pepper beer, certainly drinkable. not overly spicy.

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer is a hazy honey color. A foamy tan head recedes to a film with random thicker spots. Lacing is thin and looks like a world map.
The aroma is malty with a bit of mustiness clinging to it before it gets interesting. Roasted peppers follow up the malts. The taste is a little more complex than the straight-forward aroma. Said malts come first, then hops come out to join the party. That musty note in the aroma also presents itself, as chipotle peppers heat up the finish, leaving a nice warmth going down the hatch. Mouthfeel is relatively dry and medium in weight.

Overall, I've only had a few pepper beers, and this one is by far the best so far.

4.16/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- Pint glass poured with a slightly hazy amber colored ale and a cream colored head, very pleased.

S- The spices are noticeable, but the chipotle pepper aroma is vaguely there and not overpowering. Smells more on the smokey side.

T- The taste is quite unexpected in a beer, but goes hand in hand with the name of the beer, you definitely get a kick, but definitely not overpowering.

M- On the light-medium side, carbonated well.

O- I found myself looking at this beer in the store thinking, Rouge doesn't let down, so I decided to go for it. Man I was in for a surprise, it was not what I expected, but I fell in love sip after sip, but definitely not a beer to have in high quantities. Great Beer!

3.51/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass, orange amber with a short yellow white head that disspiates leaving some lacing, cloudy

S: heartburn, the smoked jalapeno is noticeable, some sweet malt

T: smoke comes out first, sweet malt flavor follows, finish bitters slightly, the chile flavor is not overpowering

M: medium with lower carbonation

O: not an offensive chile beer, not a style I love but drinkable none the same, best shared with a friend

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Agreed that it's not the chile beer with the most heat; that's because it tastes like actual chipotle peppers. Smooth and mildly hoppy nose, moderate carbonation, with warming chipotle finish. I would argue that the spicier beers are more of a novelty, whereas this one is more genuinely tasty and drinkable. If you like that kind of thing, of course, it's not for everyone.

3.69/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

tap

Pours a orange amber color with a bit of lacing.

Scent of caramel and bready malts with a hint of spice and honey.

Mild brown-ale type flavor, caramel and biscuits, with a noted spice bite to it.

Light tingle of carbonation.

Pretty decent spiced ale, actually better than I expected, pretty good flavor and worth trying.

3.41/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy orange-brown with a foamy beige head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of smoked malt, band-aid, chipotle pepper, and slight fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with smoke, chipotle, and fruity flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of smoke bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a smoke and chipotle presence that comes across better in the flavor, but it lacks any sort of heat for a chile beer.

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

Wife picked this up for lil ol me. I'll say I passed it many a times. My error.

Pint glass pour and I am met with a slightly hazy amber colored ale and a decent sized cream colored head. Touch of lacing. Light head stays throughout the session.

The aroma is on the malty almost musky side. Spices are present, meaty, light jalapeno shines through and I like it :o) Yeast. Smoke and leather.

The taste is excellent for the style. Just a touch of heat that lingers...the entire sip and well after. Dulled jalapeno flavor, meat, orange, white pepper and a decent kick of hops to go along with the spice. This beer takes me right to that edge between enough and too much.

Not overly carbonated as the hops and flavor work in unison here.

Overall I really dug this. A bomber is probably enough for the palate, but the overall session was very enjoyable. The right amount of peppers is key and the Rogue crew nailed it here. I'm still getting a little heat and numbing of the gums as I write. Definitely one of my favorite Rogue beers and one I will be hitting up again.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a clear copperish orange with a decent amount of dense white head. Aroma is sweet, mostly biscuit with some honey and a good helping of smoke with spice. Sweet biscuit with a metallic facet, the malt lasts a while before the smoky chipotle fades in and takes over until the grassy, bitter hops finish. I misspoke. The real finish is in the spice, which crescendos to a mild tingling on the lips. Pleasurable, not overwhelming. Feel is thin and finish is middling.

This is actually a decent spicy beer with the right amount of heat. Won't seek out again, because I'd just rather have something else, but there's a lot of room for error and they avoided all of it, so that's definitely commendable.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I did not get the fact that in the ingredients it mentions Chipotle, but in the description Jalapeños, but they are completely different.
Amber color with a small head with a medium retention.
Aroma of chipotles, but not aggressive, with hints of floral hops and sweet malts on the background.
Fruity taste mixed with dry-smoked chipotles and floral hops. Dry and mildly bitter aftertaste with a residual spicy feeling in your throat and condiments on your tongue. On a second, the smoked flavor is so present that may not come just from the Chipotle.
Medium body with good carbonation.
Interesting beer, I liked the fact they limited the amount of chipotle added to the recipe, and its hops helps to refresh it. That would be a great beer to mix on a blind taste session. It is the kind that I am glad I tried it but not sure I would seek this again, but I would sure drink it again if it knocks my door.

3.49/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

General - This beer was from a bottle that poured this into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance - Great color to the beer, a nice clean amber color. Head was a great off white that diminished fairly slowly. Great lacing on the beer though. The color of the beer honestly reminds me a of a pepper for some reason!

Smell - A smoky scent to the beer with a slight (very mild) burn from the peppers. Really like it, different for sure, but very nice. I can smell a slight backbone of malt with a touch of hops although they aren't floral or fruity. Just a slight bitterness.

Taste - Very understated chipotle taste, really enjoyable. There is a slight burn at the back of the throat after drinking it but nothing that would be "overkill". A definite bitterness to this beer also, you can taste the hops in it more than I expected that you would be able to. The malted flavor stands up to the chipotle very well. There is a good smokey flavor with the beer also, not as severe or noticeable as a true smoked beer but there is a certain hint to it. Very nice.

Mouthfeel - A little on the thin side for a true amber ale, I would say light to medium light. Pretty highly carbonated also.

Overall - Something different that's not TOO different. If you were to drink this without knowing what it was you would know that it was with some sort of pepper but it's not too pronounced. Not something to have every day or in large quantities but for a random beer every once in a while it's good.

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

This is a great flavored beer. I've had a few chili pepper inspired beers in the past and usually they are over the top. This one is right on. You get a nice and very distinct chipotle flavor. That said it doesn't overpower the nice clean underlying ale. This would be a great beer to mix in to a tasting due to its distinctness. I had it paired with some local cheeses and it was fantastic. This isn't an every night beer but a great one to mix it up a bit.

4.17/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Quite opaque, bronze/copper color. Minimal lacing/head.

Smells more malty than hoppy, you can detect a bit of peppery/spicy heat.

Perhaps a bit biased, as I'm enjoying this with arroz con pollo, but I believe this beer to be quite complex and well-balanced. The first wave is a little cinnamon sweet, you get the bready/toasty maltness, followed quickly with the warmth of the cinnamon and something like cardamom. The spice flavors seem well blended, like the beer has been aged or something. Lots of after-tastes.. ham/bacon, more spices/herbs, licorice perhaps.

Surprisingly light. Like the beer turns into vapor when it hits your tongue. Quite refreshing.

Overall, a solid entry into the spiced/herbal beers from Rogue. Worth a try.

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

Not bad looking, reddish with some orange hues, a bit hazy with a few rising bubbles, meh head and some decent lace.

I'm really on the fence on this one. It's kinda like they were trying to make a smoke beer but made a weak chili beer instead. They also seem to have made a smoke beer but forgot the dark malts. First smell and sip I was thinking "wtf" but after about half the beer it grew on me. It gets better as you go.

Body is good, rich and thick, almost chewy but with a smoky aftertaste.

Overall it's odd, but pretty good nonetheless. For a chile beer, it's darn tasty.

3.41/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours amber with lots of carbonation. Big fluffy head that has good retention.

Aroma is of malts, smokey....

Taste is spicy, malts, pepper. Leaves the tongue tingly. Curious.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and cleansing.

Overall, an interesting beer but not particularly sessionable.

3.98/5  rDev +11.8%

Rogues Chipotle Ale --- Great looking in the glass, amber orange color with a nice fluffy head. I didn't notice a distinct smell, and very little smokiness. Good malt with no hop flavor, it was smooth and left a little burn at the end. Taco salad i paired with it brought out the chipotle. Abv 5.50
I would buy it again.

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

I wasn't completely sure what to expect when I had this beer, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I had to take a couple sips of the beer before I could really notice the subtle taste of the peppers, but it adds a nice little kick to the end of your drink. Paired well with a buffalo chicken pizza.

4.07/5  rDev +14.3%

First time I've ever tried a "Chile Beer," glad I get to try something from a company I'm fairly familiar with, here goes:

In a pint glass:

A: light amber colored body, really nice looking foamy lumpy white two finger head appears and lasts for a good three minutes before gently dieing into the body. Some carbonation is seen rising. Some spotty lacing is left.

S: wow, I can really smell the jalapeno peppers (honestly, I was a bit skeptical and thought it would be just another amber that displays undertones of peppers)

T: the same adding a very dry smokey aftertaste.

M: medium and sharp on the tongue, possibly because of the peppers that were added (just an assumption, but unfamiliar with the style so slightly unsure). I'm liking this "hot" feel rushing over my tongue after about five minutes of having a couple sips of this, interesting.

O: I've been wanting to try this for a very long time. I'm glad I was finally able to find one. I'm not sure if this is only a "Spring" beer anymore since only recently I saw a large amount added to Bow Street Market, Freeport, Maine. I guess its good for its style since it displays the normal smell and taste of "hot and spicy food" the mouthfeel I'm unsure of and am making an assumption on that part, but I think I would come back to this. I wonder how this would pair with chocolate cake at dessert?

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales