2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chipotle AleChipotle Ale

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Ratings: 1,193 | Reviews: 681 | Show All Ratings:
Kolsch

3.3/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

On Tap at Rick's Wifes Place, Jeannette PA.

Appearance: dark bronze copper colored. Head was non-existent and I blame this on the pour.

Smell: smoke from the chipotle peppers.

Taste: smokey taste upfront and goes down a little harshly. Hops not apparent but should not be. This is classified as a chili beer but really resembles a smoked beer derived from the peppers. As beer warms, taste becomes less attractive as the chile peppers come to the forefront.

Overall: Drinkablity takes a hit as the beer warms. Better served ice cold.

12-29-2010 13:54:50 | More by Kolsch
exodus1369

3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Not my favorite beer by Rogue but I have to say one of the most creative beers I have ever had. When they say Chipotle they mean it. I am not sure if I should drink this beer or use it as a seasoning. It is very unique, very spicy, tastes like a Chipotle salsa, but it goes down very smoothly and is not over done. I can see how this could have gone wrong is so many ways but, hats off to Rogue, I think they nailed what they were going for. Not sure I would eat with spicy food might be over kill.

Serving type: growler

09-29-2010 06:17:40 | More by exodus1369
PreacherBrewer

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

This beer is quite interesting. Pours deep golden color with a nice white head and great lacing. Smells of fresh fruit, light malt, and spiciness. Tastes of cooked fruit, slightly roasted malt, and roasted peppers. the spiciness isn't overbearing, but does increase the more you drink. leaves a nice warm feeling in your mouth and throat. quite an experience!

07-08-2010 14:24:03 | More by PreacherBrewer
FickleBeast

4.13/5  rDev +15.7%

On tap at Old Bay in New Brunswick, NJ. Reviewed on my Droid.

Arrives a deep copper color with minimal head. Aroma is very malty with a hint of smokiness... first sip is Wow. What a nice unexpected smokiness to this brew. Very much like a rauchbier. A very pleasant suprise. There is no pepper hotness to this at all like I was expecting. I would certainly get this interesting brew again.

07-01-2010 22:48:39 | More by FickleBeast
DrDonbert

New Hampshire

3.5/5  rDev -2%

Served from a growler into a pilsner glass.

Deep copper color, very good head retention. Couldn't smell any chipoltle or chile, but then again I guess it's not supposed to be a burrito in a bottle. Subdued hop aroma. Tasted like a quality, but pretty standard, pale ale. A bit bready, a bit of caramel. No dominant hop bitterness, which allowed the chile flavor to come through. The spice is extremely faint and only evident at the finish. Mouthfeel was pretty standard. High marks for drinkability, which I wasn't expecting from what I hoped would be a spicy beer. The growler went down pretty easy.

Looks like a pale ale, smells like a pale ale, and but for the slightest hint of chile, tastes like one too. It's a good beer, but not at all what I was hoping for.

Serving type: growler

06-19-2010 20:13:07 | More by DrDonbert
metter98

3.4/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is amber in color and has a small head.
S: The aroma is very faint, but there are some hints of hops, malt, smoke and peppers in the nose.
T: Some flavors of chipotle peppers are detectable in the taste, which is somewhat bitter. The overall taste isn't very spicy, probably because they are balanced by the underlying malt.
M: It feels medium bodied and crisp on the palate with a medium amount of carbonation.
D: Nothing really stood about this beer, although I might try it again just because this is a unique style. I think this beer would work better paired with food than drinking it by itself.

05-16-2010 15:12:38 | More by metter98
JoeMertens

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

A- Pour is cloudy with a red hue, slightly cloudy

S- Lots of smoke on the nose, no hops or malt detected. Smells like an Islay scotch, peated. Slight hint of spicy jalapeno tang.

T- Thin taste, once the smoke and mild heat fades (rapidly), the beer has no finish. Dominantly smoked flavor, as with the nose. Would not know it was from a chipotle unless I was told so.

M- Very light and highly carbonated. Like drinking a pilsner.

D- Enjoyable for one or two at a BBQ or something, would not recommend more than that, simply not interesting enough.

04-03-2010 18:40:38 | More by JoeMertens
CharlatanSin

Connecticut

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Served in a pint glass at the Bronx Ale House.

A: Pours a clear, light orange/red. One finger tan head that sticks around and laces a bit.

S: Smoky, but not overpoweringly so. A good amount of sweet malt to balance it.

T: Not at all what I had expected. I'm not picking up too much heat in this beer at all. It's smoky, and there's a definite an adobe/chipotle undercurrent throughout. But it's also quite malty, a mellow sweet bread flavor. Some tingly hops, too.

M/D: Carbonation is pretty low, and mouthfeel is fairly light. I liked the taste at first, but by the end, the smokiness wore out its welcome and I was ready to switch. I think this beer has a lot of potential when paired well with food, but it's a bit much on its own.

01-01-2010 19:49:17 | More by CharlatanSin
plaid75

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On draft at the Rogue Ale House, Portland, Oregon.

Poured a medium copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and good lacing.

The smell featured a light pale malt with a trace of smoke.

The taste consisted of meaty, smoky flavors; buttery malts and caramel.

The mouthfeel was of medium fullness.

Overall an interesting ale. The light smokiness was pleasantly surprising.

12-23-2009 22:43:38 | More by plaid75
afausser

Montana

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

On tap at Beer Run in Charlottesville, VA.

Appearance: Pours a reddish mahogany, with a small amount of persistent head and plenty of lacing.

Smell: Faint, in general, with hints of smoke and spice, as well as some sweet malty notes.

Taste: I ate nachos right before having this beer, and I'm now regretting it--tastes slightly hot, VERY peppery. The jalepeno taste is not particularly overpowering, but was a little too much at that point for me.

Mouthfeel: Interesting. Very light and smooth, but ends with a kick with the peppers, which are primarily present as an aftertaste. The lower level of carbonation works really well to compliment the spices--I have a feeling that much more would have just made it far too fizzy.

Drinkability: Not too great for this one. To be fair, I was a little tired of the spicy taste already, but I don't think it would be easy to drink regardless. It's not a bad beer--in fact, it's a pretty interesting one--but it's more of a novelty than anything I think I'd actively seek out again. I just feel like something's missing...

11-30-2009 20:18:21 | More by afausser
jneiswender

2.25/5  rDev -37%

Had this beer in a 4oz sample glass at the brewery as part of a sampler.

A-amber body with a nice white head

S-the pepper is definately evident but not the smoky scent I would have expected from a chipotle

T-chipotle flavor is there along with some malt

M-medium

D-Okay. I don't know why this one bummed me out so much. I didn't really feel any heat from this. I also expected alot more smoke flavor and scent.

08-06-2009 21:31:41 | More by jneiswender
Damian

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank on-tap at the Sunset Grill & Tap, Allston, MA
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a crystal clear, crimson-amber color with a tight, foamy, bright white, one-finger head that left a thin sheet of lacing all down the glass.

The aroma was smooth and sweet. Rich caramel malts dominated. A touch fruity. Hints of butterscotch came through as well. No chile/spice quality was discernable however. Enjoyable, yet not very complex.

The taste was more interesting than the aroma. Sweet caramel malts came through strong up front. Fruity in the center. Chipotle spice notes appeared in the crisp, clean finish and lingered into the moderately hoppy (piney) aftertaste. On a scale of one to ten, the spiciness was a "three" (at best).

The mouthfeel was medium bodied with a fine, mild carbonation.

Although I enjoyed this beer, it definitely could have used more heat and flavor from the chilies. Nevertheless, this would make a perfect accompaniment to some nachos and spicy salsa.

08-05-2009 03:59:31 | More by Damian
Newmerator

3.1/5  rDev -13.2%

Had this at their location in San Francisco.

Looks great, smells just like Chipotle. So they nailed that on the head. I personally think it's a good beer and they really got what they were going for.

Way too spicy for my liking ,and I could barely finish the sampler me and my buddies got.

worth trying. i don't see this beer coming around again though.

Serving type: nitro-tap

04-16-2009 03:43:16 | More by Newmerator
HopEnthusiast

2.4/5  rDev -32.8%

I had no idea what to expect upon buying this one. The aroma definitely has chipotle with the usual hops. Pours deep amber with a medium tan head. The taste is actually very mild. Hoppy and malty, the chipotle takes a back seat. You can taste it, but its not like that horrible. It wasn't to enjoyable.

03-06-2009 17:11:28 | More by HopEnthusiast
CHickman

1.15/5  rDev -67.8%

I love Rogue beers and I really like spicy food, but felt that this beer was just awful. It was too hot and actually tasted like Chipotle, or like it had to be spiced with jalapeno. I had it on tap and had to force myself to drink this beer like I was back in rugby hazing. I'd rather have a tequila shot, and I hate tequila.

02-28-2009 20:56:15 | More by CHickman
indiapaleale

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Had this on tap at the Rogue public house in Portland.

Pours a nice darkish golden color with a decent head.

Smell is a combination of sweet malt, smoke, tobacco and chili pepper.

Taste is quite unique. First sip is a tad sweet, nothing too crazy followed by steady warming. The smokiness of the chipotle becomes more and more noticeable. Very interesting and quite drinkable and balanced.

YOu know what you're getting yourself into when you order a Chipotle Ale and this one was quite good. I'd definitely order it again but I'd need some time in between...

02-19-2009 18:23:03 | More by indiapaleale
mugglesandhops

Oklahoma

2.78/5  rDev -22.1%

On tap at the Rogue brew pub in Newport.

This is my first "spiced" beer I have ever tried and The only reason I even got this is to try all the Rogues I have never tried. I was not impressed at all by this one. Poured a red color with a good 2 finger head on it. Pepper comes out in the nose right away and that's pretty much all im pulling out of this one. Taste as it smells, very peppery, very spicy especially in the end...good med. bodied feel to it. I will not drink this again.

12-11-2008 22:38:44 | More by mugglesandhops
marcpal

2.75/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pint poured on tap at Publick House into American pint glass. Intrigued by this, thought I would like. Wrong.

A: Another apple juice looking drink. Slight head and too much bubbles.

N: Spice and smoke were there, with some malt background. No bitterness or hops in the aroma.

T: Chipotle definitely present, almost reminded me of a bloody mary sting. Not enjoyable in a beer, not here at least. The taste came off as a bit hokey and not naturally built off the base of the beer.

M: A bit rich, spices dont marry well. Too much carbonation to balance out.

D: I guess if your up for spices or what not, you may like but it doesnt come across well. First beer from Rogue I found undrinkable. Just not my cup o tea.

06-17-2008 12:48:51 | More by marcpal
QuentinCompson

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Drunk from a pint-glass, on-tap at Rogue Ale House

Hate/love tasting of this brew

A - Nice and dark, brownish

S - Peppery

T - Goes in like a dark ale, porter, half-stout; then peppers kick in, nice sensation, but then just ramming the buds like a tabasco kick. A bit much, but I looked forward to another sip, though I knew it wouldnt be for a bit.

D - Slow drinking brew. Definitely not a consecutive brew for my taste, but enjoyable. Worth a try.

I would be curious as to the ABV on this one (above it says "?")

04-25-2008 16:59:10 | More by QuentinCompson
TurdFurgison

3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

I had this on tap at Slow's Barbeque in Detroit. The beer was served in a small chalice for some reason, I'm not sure why because this beer isn't too expensive in bottles. The bartender said the keg was expensive...

The beer was dark yellow golden colored with a thin white head. The aroma was surprisingly hoppy, I didn't get any chili peppers out of the smell. The taste was citrucy hoppy and a bit spicy, but the spicy heat must have come from peppers instead of hops. It was really pretty nice against the weak caramel malt flavors in the background. I plan to try it again from the bottle sometime.

09-26-2007 10:12:24 | More by TurdFurgison
ccrida

Oregon

3.43/5  rDev -3.9%

On draft at the Public House in Portland, the Chipotle Ale is a clear, orangish amber head, with a small, quickly fading white head that left no lace.
The aroma is really muted, soft malt with a touch of cascade hops...try as I might, I can't find the pepper.
This tastes like a smooth and mellow amber ale, which it is. Nice balance between the malt and hops, a tad salty. The Chipotle isn't really evident except for on the finish, with a nice peppery tingle on the back of the throat.
It is medium bodied and a bit seltzery, bicarbonate?
The drinkability of this was surprisingly high. I've always been really skeptical of chili beers ever since first reading about them in Papizan's homebrewing book. I have to say that I am really pleasantly surprised. I didn't get chance to session with this, so I can't say if the pepper would build, but from what I had, I wanted more.

04-20-2007 04:15:18 | More by ccrida
quasimoto

A - Amber color with a crystal clean and nice head, but not much lacing.

S - Smoke dominates the nose for this one. But its not a real strong smoke aroma.

T - There is a certain sweetness to this beer that is over taken by the smokey spice, peppers in here.

M - Light body, sharp carbonation. Actually burns like pepper, and has a dry finish.

D - One a night is about all I can handle. For myself this is not a session beer. Might go nice with mexican food.

04-04-2007 12:09:13 | More by quasimoto
BoozySmurf

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

Served on tap at the Blue Dog, this arrived in a pint glass with a tiny collar of white foam atop clear amber. Smell was of an american brown ale: nutty, sweet aroma with citrus hop notes (cascades)? Initially the taste was similar with a good mix of caramel sweet maltiness and bitter hops, but the taste changed to that of the chipotle. It was a smoky barbeque type taste, and only minimal heat from capcaesin. Mouthfeel was light-bodied and seemed appropriate for what I'm guessing was a 5% ABV beer, give or take 0.2%. I drank it quickly, but more so to get it over with.

Note: Interesting flavor, but I doubt I'll revisit this style any time soon. I am fond of hot sauce and tobasco has long since replaced ketchup on my scrambled eggs, but it doesn't seem to work well with this beer, and the aftertaste was annoying.

11-14-2006 22:52:37 | More by BoozySmurf
ScarletLady

Maryland

2.9/5  rDev -18.8%

Nice head that didn't hang around leaving ok lacing. A smokey nose. A HUGE smokey flavor with the slight bite coming through at the end. I expected a heavier mouthfeel and I thought it was a little on the thin side. Overall a really interesting beer and I recommend that you try it. I couldn't finish what I had been given - I found the taste too overwhelming to drink a pint of it but i liked it. I am thinking of using it in recipes, maybe in my Beer Cheese soup, or maybe in place of a stout in gravy.

05-25-2006 14:55:00 | More by ScarletLady
TheEclecticGent

Georgia

2.68/5  rDev -24.9%

Had this unusual beer at the “Rogue Fest” in December 2005 at Summits Wayside Tavern in Sandy Springs, GA. They somehow have close ties with Rogue Brewery and get unusual kegs. I was skeptical about this one and avoided it on a few trips. I do love chipotle sauce and beer but didn’t know about combining them. Poured like standard ale, a clear golden amber with a little bit of quickly disappearing head. The smell is of beer and yep chipotle sauce! Smells pleasant like a backyard BBQ. The mouthfeel was a little flat. The taste was OK, mildly hoppy ale with a heavy chipotle finish. It grew on me a bit as I drank it but can’t say I would have another. It’s a novelty though. Glad I tried it.

01-21-2006 01:22:42 | More by TheEclecticGent