1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chipotle AleChipotle Ale

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Ratings: 1,189 | Reviews: 681 | Show All Ratings:
jneiswender

2.25/5  rDev -37%

Had this beer in a 4oz sample glass at the brewery as part of a sampler.

A-amber body with a nice white head

S-the pepper is definately evident but not the smoky scent I would have expected from a chipotle

T-chipotle flavor is there along with some malt

M-medium

D-Okay. I don't know why this one bummed me out so much. I didn't really feel any heat from this. I also expected alot more smoke flavor and scent.

08-06-2009 21:31:41 | More by jneiswender
Damian

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank on-tap at the Sunset Grill & Tap, Allston, MA
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a crystal clear, crimson-amber color with a tight, foamy, bright white, one-finger head that left a thin sheet of lacing all down the glass.

The aroma was smooth and sweet. Rich caramel malts dominated. A touch fruity. Hints of butterscotch came through as well. No chile/spice quality was discernable however. Enjoyable, yet not very complex.

The taste was more interesting than the aroma. Sweet caramel malts came through strong up front. Fruity in the center. Chipotle spice notes appeared in the crisp, clean finish and lingered into the moderately hoppy (piney) aftertaste. On a scale of one to ten, the spiciness was a "three" (at best).

The mouthfeel was medium bodied with a fine, mild carbonation.

Although I enjoyed this beer, it definitely could have used more heat and flavor from the chilies. Nevertheless, this would make a perfect accompaniment to some nachos and spicy salsa.

08-05-2009 03:59:31 | More by Damian
Newmerator

3.1/5  rDev -13.2%

Had this at their location in San Francisco.

Looks great, smells just like Chipotle. So they nailed that on the head. I personally think it's a good beer and they really got what they were going for.

Way too spicy for my liking ,and I could barely finish the sampler me and my buddies got.

worth trying. i don't see this beer coming around again though.

Serving type: nitro-tap

04-16-2009 03:43:16 | More by Newmerator
HopEnthusiast

2.4/5  rDev -32.8%

I had no idea what to expect upon buying this one. The aroma definitely has chipotle with the usual hops. Pours deep amber with a medium tan head. The taste is actually very mild. Hoppy and malty, the chipotle takes a back seat. You can taste it, but its not like that horrible. It wasn't to enjoyable.

03-06-2009 17:11:28 | More by HopEnthusiast
CHickman

1.15/5  rDev -67.8%

I love Rogue beers and I really like spicy food, but felt that this beer was just awful. It was too hot and actually tasted like Chipotle, or like it had to be spiced with jalapeno. I had it on tap and had to force myself to drink this beer like I was back in rugby hazing. I'd rather have a tequila shot, and I hate tequila.

02-28-2009 20:56:15 | More by CHickman
indiapaleale

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Had this on tap at the Rogue public house in Portland.

Pours a nice darkish golden color with a decent head.

Smell is a combination of sweet malt, smoke, tobacco and chili pepper.

Taste is quite unique. First sip is a tad sweet, nothing too crazy followed by steady warming. The smokiness of the chipotle becomes more and more noticeable. Very interesting and quite drinkable and balanced.

YOu know what you're getting yourself into when you order a Chipotle Ale and this one was quite good. I'd definitely order it again but I'd need some time in between...

02-19-2009 18:23:03 | More by indiapaleale
mugglesandhops

Oklahoma

2.78/5  rDev -22.1%

On tap at the Rogue brew pub in Newport.

This is my first "spiced" beer I have ever tried and The only reason I even got this is to try all the Rogues I have never tried. I was not impressed at all by this one. Poured a red color with a good 2 finger head on it. Pepper comes out in the nose right away and that's pretty much all im pulling out of this one. Taste as it smells, very peppery, very spicy especially in the end...good med. bodied feel to it. I will not drink this again.

12-11-2008 22:38:44 | More by mugglesandhops
marcpal

2.75/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pint poured on tap at Publick House into American pint glass. Intrigued by this, thought I would like. Wrong.

A: Another apple juice looking drink. Slight head and too much bubbles.

N: Spice and smoke were there, with some malt background. No bitterness or hops in the aroma.

T: Chipotle definitely present, almost reminded me of a bloody mary sting. Not enjoyable in a beer, not here at least. The taste came off as a bit hokey and not naturally built off the base of the beer.

M: A bit rich, spices dont marry well. Too much carbonation to balance out.

D: I guess if your up for spices or what not, you may like but it doesnt come across well. First beer from Rogue I found undrinkable. Just not my cup o tea.

06-17-2008 12:48:51 | More by marcpal
QuentinCompson

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Drunk from a pint-glass, on-tap at Rogue Ale House

Hate/love tasting of this brew

A - Nice and dark, brownish

S - Peppery

T - Goes in like a dark ale, porter, half-stout; then peppers kick in, nice sensation, but then just ramming the buds like a tabasco kick. A bit much, but I looked forward to another sip, though I knew it wouldnt be for a bit.

D - Slow drinking brew. Definitely not a consecutive brew for my taste, but enjoyable. Worth a try.

I would be curious as to the ABV on this one (above it says "?")

04-25-2008 16:59:10 | More by QuentinCompson
TurdFurgison

3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

I had this on tap at Slow's Barbeque in Detroit. The beer was served in a small chalice for some reason, I'm not sure why because this beer isn't too expensive in bottles. The bartender said the keg was expensive...

The beer was dark yellow golden colored with a thin white head. The aroma was surprisingly hoppy, I didn't get any chili peppers out of the smell. The taste was citrucy hoppy and a bit spicy, but the spicy heat must have come from peppers instead of hops. It was really pretty nice against the weak caramel malt flavors in the background. I plan to try it again from the bottle sometime.

09-26-2007 10:12:24 | More by TurdFurgison
ccrida

Oregon

3.43/5  rDev -3.9%

On draft at the Public House in Portland, the Chipotle Ale is a clear, orangish amber head, with a small, quickly fading white head that left no lace.
The aroma is really muted, soft malt with a touch of cascade hops...try as I might, I can't find the pepper.
This tastes like a smooth and mellow amber ale, which it is. Nice balance between the malt and hops, a tad salty. The Chipotle isn't really evident except for on the finish, with a nice peppery tingle on the back of the throat.
It is medium bodied and a bit seltzery, bicarbonate?
The drinkability of this was surprisingly high. I've always been really skeptical of chili beers ever since first reading about them in Papizan's homebrewing book. I have to say that I am really pleasantly surprised. I didn't get chance to session with this, so I can't say if the pepper would build, but from what I had, I wanted more.

04-20-2007 04:15:18 | More by ccrida
quasimoto

A - Amber color with a crystal clean and nice head, but not much lacing.

S - Smoke dominates the nose for this one. But its not a real strong smoke aroma.

T - There is a certain sweetness to this beer that is over taken by the smokey spice, peppers in here.

M - Light body, sharp carbonation. Actually burns like pepper, and has a dry finish.

D - One a night is about all I can handle. For myself this is not a session beer. Might go nice with mexican food.

04-04-2007 12:09:13 | More by quasimoto
BoozySmurf

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

Served on tap at the Blue Dog, this arrived in a pint glass with a tiny collar of white foam atop clear amber. Smell was of an american brown ale: nutty, sweet aroma with citrus hop notes (cascades)? Initially the taste was similar with a good mix of caramel sweet maltiness and bitter hops, but the taste changed to that of the chipotle. It was a smoky barbeque type taste, and only minimal heat from capcaesin. Mouthfeel was light-bodied and seemed appropriate for what I'm guessing was a 5% ABV beer, give or take 0.2%. I drank it quickly, but more so to get it over with.

Note: Interesting flavor, but I doubt I'll revisit this style any time soon. I am fond of hot sauce and tobasco has long since replaced ketchup on my scrambled eggs, but it doesn't seem to work well with this beer, and the aftertaste was annoying.

11-14-2006 22:52:37 | More by BoozySmurf
ScarletLady

Maryland

2.9/5  rDev -18.8%

Nice head that didn't hang around leaving ok lacing. A smokey nose. A HUGE smokey flavor with the slight bite coming through at the end. I expected a heavier mouthfeel and I thought it was a little on the thin side. Overall a really interesting beer and I recommend that you try it. I couldn't finish what I had been given - I found the taste too overwhelming to drink a pint of it but i liked it. I am thinking of using it in recipes, maybe in my Beer Cheese soup, or maybe in place of a stout in gravy.

05-25-2006 14:55:00 | More by ScarletLady
TheEclecticGent

Georgia

2.68/5  rDev -24.9%

Had this unusual beer at the “Rogue Fest” in December 2005 at Summits Wayside Tavern in Sandy Springs, GA. They somehow have close ties with Rogue Brewery and get unusual kegs. I was skeptical about this one and avoided it on a few trips. I do love chipotle sauce and beer but didn’t know about combining them. Poured like standard ale, a clear golden amber with a little bit of quickly disappearing head. The smell is of beer and yep chipotle sauce! Smells pleasant like a backyard BBQ. The mouthfeel was a little flat. The taste was OK, mildly hoppy ale with a heavy chipotle finish. It grew on me a bit as I drank it but can’t say I would have another. It’s a novelty though. Glad I tried it.

01-21-2006 01:22:42 | More by TheEclecticGent
Gaisgeil

3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Quite an interesting ale, Rogue really made this appealing.

Pours a deep amber/chestnut in color with a fizzy white head. Nose is noticably malty with a certain vague smokiness to it. Taste is sort of rudimentary at first, but then the smoke/heat combo make a bit of a bite on the tongue along with a certain sweetness. Mouthfeel is silky and medium bodied, drinkability is quite high. Pairs very well with barbeque.

Slàinte!

12-22-2005 10:38:31 | More by Gaisgeil
GClarkage

3.4/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

07/22/05- On tap at the Rogue Ale House in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- From the tap into two 4oz sampler glasses.

Appearance- Light amber pour, very slight head and light lacing. Not sure how a chipotle ale is supposed to look.

Smell- Smoky and spicy.

Taste- A bit of smoke taste followed by a fairly strong pepper aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation, spicy aftertaste and warming sensation.

Drinkability- The only time I would have this again is with maybe with some mexican food. This would probably be an excellent pairing. Not my kinda style, but blows away Crazy Ed's by about a million-fold.

07-22-2005 23:55:23 | More by GClarkage
unklesyd

Oregon

1.98/5  rDev -44.5%

Whew! This is the first beer I've ever sent back! And the first Rogue that I have not only not enjoyed but rather detested!

Had this on tap at the brewery. Looked very nice, deep molases-amber. Not a lot of aroma to speak of. Too bad, as it may have portended some of the terrible fury that lay within.

As the beer hit my tounge, I was reminded of a Scottish that I had brewed that had become infected. Nothing but band-aid lickin' all the way (oh, an a smoked band-aid, if that helps).

I told the 'tender about the problem and that they might want to check this out. He poured a sample and told me that, no, this is just what it is supposed to taste like. Hmmm....

At least he let me get something else.

06-27-2005 00:23:23 | More by unklesyd
guinness33

4.18/5  rDev +17.1%

i was hesitant to sample this style, but, seeing as i like damn near anything that is spicy and rogue brews a beer within this style, i figured i'd give it a whirl and i'm glad i did. it pours a nice copper/orange colour with minimal head but what is there is rather sticky. the smell is mainly your basic pale ale, i felt, with a nice balance between earth malt and sweet hop. there, of course, is a noticeable chile/pepper smell as well. the flavour is pretty much spot on, starting out somewhat dry amnd malty before hitting a touch of those sweet hops and then finishing with a spice kick that will hit you but not overpower you. it's mixed in toward the end just right and provides for a lovely tingly mothfeel that is well placed with the carbonation of the brew. while i can't say that this one would be for everyone, i certainly enjoyed it. at the very least, give it a try. it's most definitely a well crafted brew, even if it is different.

10-21-2004 22:26:45 | More by guinness33
Truh

New Hampshire

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Burned the devil with this one on 7/22/2004. 16-oz. pour at Redbones in a shaker glass.

Hue was amber to a slight vermilion. Little head to speak of; just a faint skein. Peppery spiciness accentuated by a grotto-like outer roundness to the whole nose gay. Not sure which hot peppers were used in this – chipolte, cascabel, California hybrid, Anaheim, jalapeno, pequin, or serrano – but whatever they were, they fired right through my lips, leaving a scalding trail up my tongue, through the roof of my mouth and up into my skull. And I loved it. There also seemed to be a slight cream edge, like baker’s chocolate. The spice didn’t really catch fire until five or six seconds after each swallow. I was happy that the only other thing I was eating at Redbones on this visit was water, and not their barbecue, because I think that would have been sheer overkill. Overall, this is a medium-bodied offering and one that I would choose to have more than one of if my tongue would allow it. I truly enjoyed this unusual pour, and in the end, it packed no more heat than a few drops of Tabasco.

09-24-2004 23:50:10 | More by Truh
donnebaby

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Almost clear copper color with a fat collar of white foam. Nose was a balanced combination of sweetness and roasted peppers, with smoky chipotle as well. Taste, too, was oily roasted peppers and a drawn out smokiness. Really grew on me as I drank it, and I would definitely order it again. Good stuff.

Had on-tap at the Rogue Public House in San Fran, where Larry told me it makes a great chaser for tequila ;)

09-14-2004 19:00:41 | More by donnebaby