Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Picked up a bomber of this for a friend and myself who enjoy hot food and peppers.

Poured a orangish amber with a thin finger of very light green head. Head retention is poor, and it reduced itself to edges in only a minute. Lacing is mild.

Smell is interesting. Mild pepper and smoke with a very light malt.

Taste is a strong sweet hop, followed suit by a sour smoked pepper flavor. Finish is a bit strong, and leaves a mild heat in the back of your mouth.

Mouthfeel is smooth and light bodied, feels watered down a bit and I wish the pepper was strong.

My overall impression of this is that its a novelty beer. I'd drink it again for sure but because of the hop and spice mix, something I know doesn't mix well with alot of foods, I'd have a hard time pairing it, and would limit it to rare occasions when I'd want an odd beer out.

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Had this on tap at the Rogue public house in Portland.

Pours a nice darkish golden color with a decent head.

Smell is a combination of sweet malt, smoke, tobacco and chili pepper.

Taste is quite unique. First sip is a tad sweet, nothing too crazy followed by steady warming. The smokiness of the chipotle becomes more and more noticeable. Very interesting and quite drinkable and balanced.

YOu know what you're getting yourself into when you order a Chipotle Ale and this one was quite good. I'd definitely order it again but I'd need some time in between...

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

a- nice clear amber color with lots of tiny bubbles. a small receding white head. minimal lacing.

s- appley hops, some caramel malt, fresh fruit & very slight alcohol.

t- upfront fruity hops balanced with malt & a noticeable accent of chili pepper. finish is all bread dough & sweetness. very well-balanced but ends up a bit bland & lifeless after a while.

m- crisp, medium body, ample carbonation. quite smooth, & seems like they got this exactly where they wanted it.

I can imagine this pairing nicely with a lot of American & Mexican cuisine. I would maybe like a little more hop presence & a little less malt in a beer like this, as the malts just end up stale and boring to me. Still, an easy drinking good beer to pair with meals in the summer.

3.03/5  rDev -14.9%

A- Pours a nice coppery amber color, with a nice thick 2-3 fingers of head into pint glass.

S- An odd combination of bitterness, floral, and smokiness, definite pepper in the nostril, sweet, but distinct and different.

T- Honestly, I didn't enjoy the earthy, sticky, tingle from the off smoky chipotle flavor, nicely carbonated, but not balanced for me, too much on the taste buds. I generally like smoked peppers and the nice flavor associated with them, but this combination did not appeal to me.

M- Good carbonation, but an odd waxy feeling on the tongue and walls of mouth, goes down with a rough scratch.

D- One is more than enough, could not drink the entire bomber. The complexity that I was hoping for, and the balance of the sweet, bitter, and smoky peppers did not appear. Disappointed by this one.

Big fan of Rogue, but can do without this one. I would recommend to others to try it, but will not plan on doing this one again.

a: pours cloudy dark copper with sturdy one-finger head.

s: earthy smoked pepper on top of sweet malt and a bit of hop spice.

t: sweet pale ale taste for a second until the chipotle kicks in, which warms slightly and brings a great smoky taste.

m: thick but smooth, the chipotle leaves an earthy film.

d: delicious well-balanced mix of spice and sweet, it can be a refreshing break during a night of strong beers.

4.13/5  rDev +16%

Pours a deep amber color with a slight haze....one finger head gives way to a very small lacing

smells great. crispy hops and subtle malts all over the place....a slight smoky peppery smell in the background. interesting

tastes amazing. this beer hits you with a quick crispy flavor that gives way to a rich maltiness, then you get a kick of smoke after all of that you get a subtle kick of the chipolte in your throat. awesome.

mouthfeel is pretty good. well carbonated. not much else to say here

drinkability is great-- especially for a beer of this style.

overall- this is a very tasty beer. I love smoked beers (rauchbiers, etc). This one soft of tastes like a mixture Rogue's American Amber with a hint of their Smoke Ale....both of which are my favorites, so its not surprising that i like this. get it.

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I like spicy food, now I guess we'll see about spicy beer.

Another excellent looking ale by Rogue. Slightly cloudy, bright golden aprocot in color. Rich head formed even though beer was quite cold.

Sweet malts with a hint if spice. Hint of smokiness as well, but it's really subtle.

Lot's of flavors going on with this ale. Light sweet malt flavor followed by mild hoppiness that must be Cascade due to the mild grapefruit taste. Spiciness and lite smokiness follow. Spice and heat build slowly, but surely like a good curry dish.

Smooth, almost velvety in mouthfeel.

Interesting beer. Well worth a taste as it is well balanced in flavors and the heat compliments and doesn't overwelm.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

This was an oddball beer choice that I made when I was in the mood for something "different". I poured it at cellar temperature into a pint glass.

The color was a reddish-orange, with a small head that quickly went away. Smell hinted at the smokey pepper flavor that was to come. It was actually fairly spicy, although not as much as a boilermaker spiked with Tobasco. The distinct smokey chipotle flavor was there, as well as a little hoppiness, too.

I enjoyed it, but it is not my usual beer experience. A style of its own, I think.

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a bubbly light brown color with an airy head that collapses rapidly to an oily looking sheen...expected for a chile beer.

Mild cardboard and nestle quick powder nose has me wondering if I got a bad bottle or let it sit too long in my fridge (3 months). Hints of grassy hops and toffee maltiness. I dont smell any of them smoked jalapenos.

Taste has some of the same cardboard that was present in the nose. Sweet malts are pretty dominant with a short bright burst of hop bitterness in mid to late sip. The smoky peppers finally come through on the very end with a lingering and quite noticeable heat in the back of the throat. I like that, but then again, I like really spicy food. I could see this being a turn off for many. I think I might try to score a fresh bottle of this and see if it is any better.

3.38/5  rDev -5.1%

A: Pours a beautiful clear copper with 1 finger of slightly thin head.

S: Slightly metallic and ferric with a prevailing smokiness; underscored by a subtle tropical fruit and hop-like sweetness.

T: A whole grain bread-like malt lays out the base for this brew. This is complemented by a tangy peppery kick. The smokiness of the chipotle peppers is definitely prominent here. It finishes with a tingly spice that's not too overpowering but still retains a strong bite.

M: The active carbonation complements the spiciness of the beer well, almost as if to preempt the aftertaste.

D: I think a couple sips of this is enough to satisfy my curiosity of the flavor, but I found myself having trouble finishing the bottle. This is definitely beer with character. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't think I'll try it again.

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a clear, dark amber color with a large white head that had decent retention. Moderate amount of sticky lacing is left on the glass. Has a smokey and earthy aroma. The flavor likewise is very Rauchbier in charactor. Very smokey with a little spice kick and heat coming in on the finish at the back of the throat. Has enough of a body to carry the smoke and chile spice. Moderate carbonation. A good beer but not something I would want to drink much of or often for that matter.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

A: Reddish copper, thin layer of patchy head - 4.00, S: Subtle smoke on the nose along with the zest of the jalapenos, very earthy aroma, hops are hard to discern but a hearty malt backing is apparent, a more pleasant smell than I would generally expect from a chile beer - 4.00, T: A medium malt base, definite heat but far from overpowering, a very veggie quality to the beer, some hop bite on the tail - 3.50, M: Medium bodied - 3.50, D: Chile beers certainly aren't a some draw to me, but this one is reasonable to the point of making it quite drinkable - 3.50

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured a clear copper orange into my Guiness pint glass. A thin one-finger off-white head quickly dissipated and left little lacing on the inside of the glass throughout the drink. Aroma is a lot of malt with the chipotle spiciness detectable. Mouthfeel is bland, medium-bodied and medium carbonation. Taste is malty, with a bit of smokiness from the chipotle in the middle, then a twinge of hoppy bitterness and finishes with an odd smoky spiciness. This beer has to be pretty warm to get the full effect of the active ingredient. Overall this is an ok beer. I think drinkability is moderate. For the style, I'm sure this is pretty good, but as a stand-alone brew I am not a huge fan.

3.95/5  rDev +11%

Bomber bottle in Florida.

Poured a copper color with a large frothy light brown head that was lasting with good lacing.

Good complex burnt malt and citrus aroma.

Medium body with soft carbonation.

Good smoke and citrus flavor with a light bitter astringent finish of moderate duration.

One of the top rated beers for style.

4.18/5  rDev +17.4%

A three-finger tan head tops off a reddish-orange brew. Retention is good, with some streaking, diminutive chunks of lace left here and there around the pint glass. The aroma involves, not surprisingly, some spicy peppers, malts and citrus. The taste is as unique as the smell, with some good peppery notes that linger in the aftertaste and keep things fairly hot throughout. The hops and malts mix in right underneath the peppers and are a bit overshadowed. Mouth-feel is medium-bodied, and it's light on the carbonation. Rogue can be hit or miss sometimes, but as with the Hazelnut brown, this one blends unique elements to make interesting and very drinkable brews.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

A= a amber color with a decent head and average lacing on the side of my glass
S= has a very basic BMC kind of smell followed by a little chipotle smokiness and spice. Not great but still above par
T= OOOOh interesting. smokey, not too spicy, and yet it still tastes like a beer. goes great with my enchiladas tonight.
M=A little heavy with average carbonation
D= Best peppered beer that I've had so far. Still tastes like beer actually. something drinkable. I like it and next time I make enchiladas I'm gonna buy it again. Other than that I can't imagine drinking it again though

3.38/5  rDev -5.1%

Pour: Bomber into a a Pizza Port pint glass. Orangey amber color. Displays a decent ecru head but it's on the fizzy side. No lacing.

Nose: Smokey cured meat aroma, similar to the Schlenkerla rauchbiers.

Mouth: The base beer seems pretty boring, just some sweetish grainy malt flavor, but the chiles make it interesting. I like spicy food and all, but I've never had an interest in melting my face with capsaicin. Fortunately this beer isn't all that hot really. It gives a nice, mild, lingering burn in the back of the mouth but not much more. It doesn't take a long time to acclimate to. There's also a little bit of pepper flavor in in addition to the spiciness, both black and chipotle. Medium-thin body, good carbonation level.

Overall it accomplishes what it set out to do perfectly, but it just isn't particularly appealing or complex. It's a great novelty, but not a great beer.

4.2/5  rDev +18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

got a bomber of this, super great. this is one of the more interesting beers ive had. great unfiltered orange appearance with a nice white head. the smell is great, really unique. not much of hops, a bit of sweet carmel malts, but loaded with bbq, hickory smokiness which is just really unique and interesting, in a good way. the smokiness is definltey stronger in the nose than the mouth, the taste is much spicer and accute than the smell that is less pin pointed. less smokey, much more chile, chiptole, jalepenos. tickles the palate on the way out. everything i wanted in this beer in regards to taste. tons of notes reminding me of bbqs, hickory chips, and tons of hot peppers. the drinkability isnt too high, in regards to quantity. but for quality i think it really is highly drinkable and enjoyable. really, really happy with this. another great beer from rogue.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

I thought this beer was very good. The smell of chipotle peppers was strong. The taste was very smokey. If you hate these two attributes then you will no doubt hate this beer, but as a chile head and a fan of all things smokey, I really enjoyed this beer. I had this with spicy chile and would buy it again. I think it would be a nice beer to cook with as well as drink with BBQ or mexican.

2.78/5  rDev -21.9%

Bomber poured into a pint glass, shared with a friend.

A-Orange -amber beer with a white head on top, slowly receding to a thin layer.

S-The smell is overwhelmed by chipotle peppers. That's pretty much it.

T-As with the smell, chipotle peppers hijack this beer's flavor. Other beer characters are largely covered by the peppers' flavor. A slight heat on the otherwise smokey finish.

M-Medium body with appropriate carbonation.

D-I did not care for this beer. I think the pepper flavors were too prominent, which left no room for other beer flavors to represent. An interesting beer to try, but I won't be trying this one again in the future.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

550ml bottle poured into pint glass

a: amber color with decent 1/2" head with ok retention and good carbonation

s: Definatly notes of pepper and smoky notes. From the begining you know this is not your average beer

t: sweet malt that is balanced nicely with hop spice and spicy notes from pepper and smoke. The spice is at a nice level and not overpowering. Just enough to notice it. I would like this would be excellent with a rich cheese.

m&d: This beer is quite drinkable if you like hot peppers. Has a decent medium bodied mouthfeel.

Cheers!!!

4.22/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an almost pinkish golden amber and topped with a pock marked virgin paper white head. Leaves a cap but like none lacing.

I'm thinking Rouge did right on this chile beer, or at least a chipotle beer, it's really a wonderfully balanced aroma of spicy peppers and the smoke that surrounds them. A nice, understated malty sweetness manages to shine through as well and suprisingly some slightly grapefruity hops.

Damn I think I like this, if I had some pepper jack cheese right now I might be in heaven. What I like about this beer is that its more than just chile, it's smokey, slightly sweet, chewy, creamy cheese (that's more texture than taste but really there seems to be a bit of cheese in this beer which I am really digging right now) the finish is slightly fruity, with a slight grapefruity bitterness lingering on the tongue working its way through a substantial smokey spiciness.

I'm getting a little heartburn from an entire bomber of this stuff. One is good enough but damn if this is not one fine chile beer.

4.2/5  rDev +18%

I just cracked this after having it for a while. I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised! Very normal color and the head is good. The smell is a little odd, probably the peppers in there. When I taste it, there's a little malt not a lot of hops. The Chipotle is very nice on the back end! I would buy this beer again, but you will need to have a taste for it! Very nice drinker!

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

I had no idea what to expect upon buying this one. The aroma definitely has chipotle with the usual hops. Pours deep amber with a medium tan head. The taste is actually very mild. Hoppy and malty, the chipotle takes a back seat. You can taste it, but its not like that horrible Cave Creek Chili beer. It was enjoyable, but I probably won't buy this one again.

3.28/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a pale copper color, almost transparent, but not quite. Small tan head that fades to just a thin layer with a bit of lacing. Smells like beer, with something strange in it, the chipotle, but it doesn't smell like a peppers at all.

Its smoky and smooth, and very clean tasting. I really cant describe more than that, this is truly a strange brew, don't know if I'll ever buy it again, but its pairing well with my spicy chicken sandwich.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales