Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
3.07/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A - Cloudy, light orange color. Nice head about 2 fingers high with decent retention.

S - Smell is almost all chipotle, spicy with a faint hint of malt in the background.

T - Very interesting, lingering spice followed by a light malt a very light hop character

M - Dry, medium carbonation. Kind of feels like its leaving a coating on my mouth

D - This is definitely not a beer I'd drink on a regular basis but as an occasional oddity its not bad. I found the taste to be very interesting although not that refreshing and it definitely did not leave me wanting more. I had it with steak tacos which turned out to be a great pairing. I'll probably drink this again but not in the near future.

3.76/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was my first effort at chili beers and I'm not sure I can handle the style but I'll try to rate it for what it is.

A- Clear amber with a thick head nice retention and good lacing. Pretty anyway.

S- Malt and smoke then the pepper. Quite spicy on the nose. Even just a little sweetness.

T- Doesn't burn too bad actually. I think the point isn't just the hotness but peppers add a certain flavor of there own. You taste the malt first and then it's smoky like a porter. Then the spiciness kicks in. There's also yeast and I think a little citrus hops flavor on the end. Balance is impressive actually.

M- Clean and crisp medium body.

D- If you can handle the heat then go ahead and hit a few of these.

3.28/5  rDev -7.9%

Appearance - Pours a bright, clear amber with a thick 2-inch head. Minimal lacing.
Smell - Smokey chipotle dominates.
Taste - Starts out spicy, mellows with a very faint hint of toasty malt before developing much more heat and finishing with an intense, peppery bite.
Mouthfeel - Medium to full-bodied with fine, moderate carbonation.
Drinkability - Too spicy to be sessionable.
Overall - A cool experiment and definitely something to try, but too overpowering. Not something I see myself having again.

4.02/5  rDev +12.9%

poured a fairly deep copper with a nice head and lacing galore.
this beer was unique for sure. the nose was smokey, spicy but not from the hops. the jalapenos actually came through the smoked malt .
taste was again nice, different than any beer I had ever had. Initial hit of roasted malts, but smoked. Hints of peet and the telltale jalapeno spice. Slight in the taste, but you could feel the lingering burn on the back of the palate.
I really enjoyed this one.

3.52/5  rDev -1.1%

A: poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Bright copper with a small white head.

S: smoky, yeasty, faint floral hops

T: very spicy! (and I'm usually someone who taunts people who can't handle spice) Bright and forward but still smoky. No appreciable hops taste. Very interesting, if not what I'd call delicious.

M: quite bubbly despite lack of head, thin feel. Clean, almost dry finish.

D: glad I had it, but hard to imagine ever drinking more than 1 of these. Glad I could share the bomber.

3.56/5  rDev 0%

Reviewed 3/15/2009 (bottle):

Pours a very golden body, big creamy foamy head, diminishing. Smokey hoppy aroma, not quite cigarette but close, not ashy. Smokey, malty taste, more chipotley now. Not sweet, not hoppy. Clean aftertaste. The smoke is subtle, would go well w/bbq, or any grilled meat.

2.42/5  rDev -32%

A: copper with pretty good sized head

S: a little smokey and spicy with a bit of hop aroma

T: didn't work for me. I was really curious about this when I saw it but felt the smokey chipotle pepper was a little too overpowering to have a 22 on your own

M: average for an almost reddish ale

D:just too much heat. I love good spicy food and hoped this would be a great combination but it just seemed a little too one dimensional to me

I would say it's an interesting beer to try, but best to have a few friends around to taste with you as I couldn't do a whole 22 by myself

2.48/5  rDev -30.3%

I had no idea what to expect upon buying this one. The aroma definitely has chipotle with the usual hops. Pours deep amber with a medium tan head. The taste is actually very mild. Hoppy and malty, the chipotle takes a back seat. You can taste it, but its not like that horrible. It wasn't to enjoyable.

3.94/5  rDev +10.7%

A- Brilliantly clear dark amber with a moderate sized off-white head.

A- Malty aroma with light pepper and smoke.

T- The pepper is far from overpowering and took a few sips before any sort of pepper heat developed. It was a light heat sensation.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, very smooth drinking beer.

D- Very drinkable pepper beer. The chipotle was far from overpowering and could have been increased without being offensive.

1.18/5  rDev -66.9%

I love Rogue beers and I really like spicy food, but felt that this beer was just awful. It was too hot and actually tasted like Chipotle, or like it had to be spiced with jalapeno. I had it on tap and had to force myself to drink this beer like I was back in rugby hazing. I'd rather have a tequila shot, and I hate tequila.

3.64/5  rDev +2.2%

Picked up a bomber of this for a friend and myself who enjoy hot food and peppers.

Poured a orangish amber with a thin finger of very light green head. Head retention is poor, and it reduced itself to edges in only a minute. Lacing is mild.

Smell is interesting. Mild pepper and smoke with a very light malt.

Taste is a strong sweet hop, followed suit by a sour smoked pepper flavor. Finish is a bit strong, and leaves a mild heat in the back of your mouth.

Mouthfeel is smooth and light bodied, feels watered down a bit and I wish the pepper was strong.

My overall impression of this is that its a novelty beer. I'd drink it again for sure but because of the hop and spice mix, something I know doesn't mix well with alot of foods, I'd have a hard time pairing it, and would limit it to rare occasions when I'd want an odd beer out.

3.87/5  rDev +8.7%

Had this on tap at the Rogue public house in Portland.

Pours a nice darkish golden color with a decent head.

Smell is a combination of sweet malt, smoke, tobacco and chili pepper.

Taste is quite unique. First sip is a tad sweet, nothing too crazy followed by steady warming. The smokiness of the chipotle becomes more and more noticeable. Very interesting and quite drinkable and balanced.

YOu know what you're getting yourself into when you order a Chipotle Ale and this one was quite good. I'd definitely order it again but I'd need some time in between...

3.94/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

a- nice clear amber color with lots of tiny bubbles. a small receding white head. minimal lacing.

s- appley hops, some caramel malt, fresh fruit & very slight alcohol.

t- upfront fruity hops balanced with malt & a noticeable accent of chili pepper. finish is all bread dough & sweetness. very well-balanced but ends up a bit bland & lifeless after a while.

m- crisp, medium body, ample carbonation. quite smooth, & seems like they got this exactly where they wanted it.

I can imagine this pairing nicely with a lot of American & Mexican cuisine. I would maybe like a little more hop presence & a little less malt in a beer like this, as the malts just end up stale and boring to me. Still, an easy drinking good beer to pair with meals in the summer.

3.05/5  rDev -14.3%

A- Pours a nice coppery amber color, with a nice thick 2-3 fingers of head into pint glass.

S- An odd combination of bitterness, floral, and smokiness, definite pepper in the nostril, sweet, but distinct and different.

T- Honestly, I didn't enjoy the earthy, sticky, tingle from the off smoky chipotle flavor, nicely carbonated, but not balanced for me, too much on the taste buds. I generally like smoked peppers and the nice flavor associated with them, but this combination did not appeal to me.

M- Good carbonation, but an odd waxy feeling on the tongue and walls of mouth, goes down with a rough scratch.

D- One is more than enough, could not drink the entire bomber. The complexity that I was hoping for, and the balance of the sweet, bitter, and smoky peppers did not appear. Disappointed by this one.

Big fan of Rogue, but can do without this one. I would recommend to others to try it, but will not plan on doing this one again.

a: pours cloudy dark copper with sturdy one-finger head.

s: earthy smoked pepper on top of sweet malt and a bit of hop spice.

t: sweet pale ale taste for a second until the chipotle kicks in, which warms slightly and brings a great smoky taste.

m: thick but smooth, the chipotle leaves an earthy film.

d: delicious well-balanced mix of spice and sweet, it can be a refreshing break during a night of strong beers.

4.09/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours a deep amber color with a slight haze....one finger head gives way to a very small lacing

smells great. crispy hops and subtle malts all over the place....a slight smoky peppery smell in the background. interesting

tastes amazing. this beer hits you with a quick crispy flavor that gives way to a rich maltiness, then you get a kick of smoke after all of that you get a subtle kick of the chipolte in your throat. awesome.

mouthfeel is pretty good. well carbonated. not much else to say here

drinkability is great-- especially for a beer of this style.

overall- this is a very tasty beer. I love smoked beers (rauchbiers, etc). This one soft of tastes like a mixture Rogue's American Amber with a hint of their Smoke Ale....both of which are my favorites, so its not surprising that i like this. get it.

3.76/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I like spicy food, now I guess we'll see about spicy beer.

Another excellent looking ale by Rogue. Slightly cloudy, bright golden aprocot in color. Rich head formed even though beer was quite cold.

Sweet malts with a hint if spice. Hint of smokiness as well, but it's really subtle.

Lot's of flavors going on with this ale. Light sweet malt flavor followed by mild hoppiness that must be Cascade due to the mild grapefruit taste. Spiciness and lite smokiness follow. Spice and heat build slowly, but surely like a good curry dish.

Smooth, almost velvety in mouthfeel.

Interesting beer. Well worth a taste as it is well balanced in flavors and the heat compliments and doesn't overwelm.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

This was an oddball beer choice that I made when I was in the mood for something "different". I poured it at cellar temperature into a pint glass.

The color was a reddish-orange, with a small head that quickly went away. Smell hinted at the smokey pepper flavor that was to come. It was actually fairly spicy, although not as much as a boilermaker spiked with Tobasco. The distinct smokey chipotle flavor was there, as well as a little hoppiness, too.

I enjoyed it, but it is not my usual beer experience. A style of its own, I think.

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a bubbly light brown color with an airy head that collapses rapidly to an oily looking sheen...expected for a chile beer.

Mild cardboard and nestle quick powder nose has me wondering if I got a bad bottle or let it sit too long in my fridge (3 months). Hints of grassy hops and toffee maltiness. I dont smell any of them smoked jalapenos.

Taste has some of the same cardboard that was present in the nose. Sweet malts are pretty dominant with a short bright burst of hop bitterness in mid to late sip. The smoky peppers finally come through on the very end with a lingering and quite noticeable heat in the back of the throat. I like that, but then again, I like really spicy food. I could see this being a turn off for many. I think I might try to score a fresh bottle of this and see if it is any better.

3.4/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Pours a beautiful clear copper with 1 finger of slightly thin head.

S: Slightly metallic and ferric with a prevailing smokiness; underscored by a subtle tropical fruit and hop-like sweetness.

T: A whole grain bread-like malt lays out the base for this brew. This is complemented by a tangy peppery kick. The smokiness of the chipotle peppers is definitely prominent here. It finishes with a tingly spice that's not too overpowering but still retains a strong bite.

M: The active carbonation complements the spiciness of the beer well, almost as if to preempt the aftertaste.

D: I think a couple sips of this is enough to satisfy my curiosity of the flavor, but I found myself having trouble finishing the bottle. This is definitely beer with character. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't think I'll try it again.

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a clear, dark amber color with a large white head that had decent retention. Moderate amount of sticky lacing is left on the glass. Has a smokey and earthy aroma. The flavor likewise is very Rauchbier in charactor. Very smokey with a little spice kick and heat coming in on the finish at the back of the throat. Has enough of a body to carry the smoke and chile spice. Moderate carbonation. A good beer but not something I would want to drink much of or often for that matter.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Reddish copper, thin layer of patchy head - 4.00, S: Subtle smoke on the nose along with the zest of the jalapenos, very earthy aroma, hops are hard to discern but a hearty malt backing is apparent, a more pleasant smell than I would generally expect from a chile beer - 4.00, T: A medium malt base, definite heat but far from overpowering, a very veggie quality to the beer, some hop bite on the tail - 3.50, M: Medium bodied - 3.50, D: Chile beers certainly aren't a some draw to me, but this one is reasonable to the point of making it quite drinkable - 3.50

3.42/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured a clear copper orange into my Guiness pint glass. A thin one-finger off-white head quickly dissipated and left little lacing on the inside of the glass throughout the drink. Aroma is a lot of malt with the chipotle spiciness detectable. Mouthfeel is bland, medium-bodied and medium carbonation. Taste is malty, with a bit of smokiness from the chipotle in the middle, then a twinge of hoppy bitterness and finishes with an odd smoky spiciness. This beer has to be pretty warm to get the full effect of the active ingredient. Overall this is an ok beer. I think drinkability is moderate. For the style, I'm sure this is pretty good, but as a stand-alone brew I am not a huge fan.

3.95/5  rDev +11%

Bomber bottle in Florida.

Poured a copper color with a large frothy light brown head that was lasting with good lacing.

Good complex burnt malt and citrus aroma.

Medium body with soft carbonation.

Good smoke and citrus flavor with a light bitter astringent finish of moderate duration.

One of the top rated beers for style.

4.15/5  rDev +16.6%

A three-finger tan head tops off a reddish-orange brew. Retention is good, with some streaking, diminutive chunks of lace left here and there around the pint glass. The aroma involves, not surprisingly, some spicy peppers, malts and citrus. The taste is as unique as the smell, with some good peppery notes that linger in the aftertaste and keep things fairly hot throughout. The hops and malts mix in right underneath the peppers and are a bit overshadowed. Mouth-feel is medium-bodied, and it's light on the carbonation. Rogue can be hit or miss sometimes, but as with the Hazelnut brown, this one blends unique elements to make interesting and very drinkable brews.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales