Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
QuentinCompson

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Drunk from a pint-glass, on-tap at Rogue Ale House

Hate/love tasting of this brew

A - Nice and dark, brownish

S - Peppery

T - Goes in like a dark ale, porter, half-stout; then peppers kick in, nice sensation, but then just ramming the buds like a tabasco kick. A bit much, but I looked forward to another sip, though I knew it wouldnt be for a bit.

D - Slow drinking brew. Definitely not a consecutive brew for my taste, but enjoyable. Worth a try.

I would be curious as to the ABV on this one (above it says "?")

04-25-2008 16:59:10 | More by QuentinCompson
Mora2000

1.35/5  rDev -62.2%

I don't know if the bottle was bad, or if I just hated the beer, but this one went straight down the drain after just a few sips. The beer poured a reddish color and smelled like chipotles. It also tasted quite a bit like them. Now I really like chipotle peppers, but something with this beer didn't agree with me. The person I was splitting the bomber with finished his glass, something I couldn't do. I have liked everything else from Rogue so I was expecting to like this one. But it just wasn't drinkable. I guess it is an acquired taste.

04-24-2008 04:04:24 | More by Mora2000
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

A: Copper with a light tan head, some retention & lace.

S: Smokey, roasted red pepper, chili-powder, pale malt.

T: A fairly bold smoked-pepper flavour, with a slight underlying pale malt flavour.

M: Moderate body is well carbonated with a little acidity, dry finish.

D: Decent.

04-23-2008 22:01:24 | More by Derek
Portertime

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

I bought this beer with high expectations. I enjoy many of Rogue's brews. Poured a clear reddish color with a pretty good head. Smelled fairly citrusy, I was trying to detect any chipotle pepper spice but must have been way in the back. The taste was a little surprising. A bit thin and I was really hoping for a heavy pepper taste. There was a noticable "heat" but for the most part it was fairly well balanced. I guess it is good it isn't too overpowering or it would be hard to quaff.

04-23-2008 15:42:37 | More by Portertime
vickersspitfire

3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

It's a light reddish, caramel color with a light tan head and has plenty of carbonation and very little lacing; it has a nice hoppy aroma to along with some spicy undertone and a mild citrus smell, but nothing like chipotle peppers. It has a clean and refreshing feel; it's pretty smooth and leaves a slight film in your mouth. It is mildly spicy, I think I was expecting something much hotter, but is very tasty. There is some bitterness in its aftertaste that really compliments the spiciness to it. This is a pretty good beer over all and I'll be buying again soon.

04-23-2008 01:49:55 | More by vickersspitfire
ledemie

4.38/5  rDev +22.7%

A - the beer light brown, with nice head.

S - Smells of some citrus along with hop aroma, cannot really smell the Chipotle.

T - Sweet malt with a hint of raisin flavor, not too sweet not to astringent.

M - I do not taste the Chipotle, I love spicy, and it might be spicy for someone else, but I do not see it. the mouth feel is nice

D - drinks nice, a good beer, not really a spiced beer for my taste.

04-22-2008 16:16:22 | More by ledemie
hwwty4

Missouri

4.08/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured a 22oz bottle into my Smokestack goblet. The beer pours a reddish copper with a big off white head that dissipates into just a thin layer, leaving sticky lacing all the way down the glass. The aroma starts out as the sweet spiciness that comes from a fresh green jalapeno. There is a subtle sweetness that balances the spiciness very well. The taste is mildly oily and leaves a nice spiciness on the lips and tongue. For someone that really enjoys spicy food, this beer is really good. The mouthfeel is a bit thick honestly. I wish it was a bit thinner. I think that it would balance the spiciness a bit better. While, I think this is a good beer, it would be hard to drink more than a bomber.

04-20-2008 02:49:53 | More by hwwty4
soupyman10

District of Columbia

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a nice looking amber color with nice copper highlights and a white head on top that dissolves fairly slowly, although there's no real lacing. Nose is spicy malt, some smokiness, and roasted malt as well. Taste is similar. Spicy malt up front, some toffee and smokiness in there too. The chipotle spice shows up in the middle and sticks it through the aftertaste, a strangely spicy brew (my first chile brew). Kind of like a mild bitter or solid spicy malt beer, taken to the extreme in terms of spiciness. Overall, I liked this one. Very interesting.

04-06-2008 03:20:41 | More by soupyman10
Hokies

Rhode Island

4.7/5  rDev +31.7%

Poured from a bomber with little head to speak of and a deep copper color.

S: Very faint smell at first maybe hops or citrus then the pepper kicks in.

T: Light taste of chipolte pepper with a light oily hop taste to it. After the first sip you can feel the heat from the pepper creep from the throat back into the mouth.

M: Oily and very smooth the heat remains after the first sip, which is nice.

D: I will probably have it next time with some spicy food. Very nice beer if you are in the mood for something a little spicy. Definatly worth a try.

03-31-2008 02:35:58 | More by Hokies
Pencible

3.35/5  rDev -6.2%

I'm not sure if it was actually unfiltered or not, but this definitely looked like it. It was a pretty dark brown with a sweet hops and spices scent. It wasn't very bitter at all. The prominent taste was malt, with other various peppery flavors mixed in. It started out very unique and interesting, but the more I drank it the more it tasted like a regular brown ale.

03-29-2008 21:09:12 | More by Pencible
hyland24

2.95/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured from a 650 ml bomber into a pint glass.

The beer poured a hazy copper with a 1/2 inch foam off white foam head.

The smell was hoppy with a sweet fruit, citrus scent. No smell of chipotle pepper whatsoever.

The initial sip is spicy but not from the pepper. Its a hoppy oily spice biting at the tip of the tongue. The initial hop bite fades into a citrus sweetness. After the beer is swallowed a slow heat creeps up starting at the back of the tongue and working its way down the throat. Its a mild heat but it is definitely noticeable. I never actually taste the pepper flavor only feeling the heat.

The mouthfeel is oily, allowing the hops to stick to the mouth also allowing the heat to remain. Its an interesting beer and I am glad I tried it but it is clearly not something you would drink more than one of.

03-22-2008 04:06:42 | More by hyland24
nickfl

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

A - One finger of off-white head forms on top of a slightly hazy, reddish copper body. The head doesn't stick around long, and there is no lace to speak of.

S - Caramel malt and the smoky, spicy aroma of roasted chili peppers.

T - Malt, caramel and some sweet, roasted pepper notes up front. Mild chili spice and moderate hop flavor come in together in the middle and compliment each other nicely. Hop bitterness, mild spice and a hint of smoke play off each other in the finish.

M - Medium body, high carbonation, and a moderately dry finish.

D - Easily drinkable. The chili pepper heat is just right to give the beer some spicy character without making it unpleasant, though I could stand a bit more chili flavor. The hops and peppers really play off each other well, and the medium amber maltiness balances everything nicely. This is certainly one of the best out of the few chili beers I have had.

I didn't pair this bottle with any food, but the natural choice would be anything mexican. It is kind of like a Dos Equis Amber, but more complex and with some heat.

03-11-2008 06:04:17 | More by nickfl
MerkinMan

Georgia

Pours a cloudy copper color with a big bubbly head that diminishes to a very thin lace.

I expected the chipotle smell to be more apparent, but it was pretty faint -- just the slightly metallic character chipotle peppers have.

This beer far surpassed my expectations when it comes to taste. The chipotle character is very subtle, and the heat from the peppers makes just a subtle appearance in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is very good. This is a very velvety beer indeed.

I could drink a few of these in succession. I will buy more. This was a single.

My score would be better if not for the "below average" appearance. Everything else is much better than expected.

03-04-2008 23:26:02 | More by MerkinMan
churchillps

3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a dark amber with a good deal of head, albeit dissipating slowly. Smells very early -- subtle hops, and a hint of the chipotle peppers. Nothing fantastic here. The taste is interesting, but I west left wanting more. The complexity isn't what I expected from a "peppery" ale. While I can taste a touch of the chipotle peppers in the aftertaste, it was never the focus nor an integral part of the ale. What was striking is the warmth of flavor and I don't mean temperature. The mouthfeel is exhilarating as the flavor is consistent while the liquid is on the palate, finishing nicely with a hint of pepper. I liked the overall feeling and general warm tasting deliciousness, but I would have liked more chipotles in the overall taste and especially in the smell. Good brew.

03-03-2008 23:26:57 | More by churchillps
BBM

3.75/5  rDev +5%

Pours a medium amber color, clear, with a thin, foamy beige head. Aroma was a nice blend of sweet malts, earthy hops and peppery hotness. I knew I was in for a ride.

The initial flavor is nothing too wild, until the pepper aftertaste gently burns the back of your throat. Reminiscent of a rauchbier, but with a kick. It's jolting-- almost as if you're drinking a spicy V8 in your beer. But the more I drank, the more I enjoyed it. The hotness never became overbearing, and the earthy hops and sugar balanced out well enough. I'm always on the lookout for unique beers, and this one is one of the most unique I've ever had. That said, one bomber was plenty.

03-01-2008 22:46:06 | More by BBM
mattster

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Opened 22 oz bomber bottle, poured into Nonic glass.

Nice off white head forms about 3/4" above top of golden/amber brew.

Smell is of hoppy citrus, but nothing outstanding. Taste is definitely smokey chipotle with a little hoppy bitterness on the finish. It would be awesome if it were just a tad sweeter, but all in all, its a pleasant brew. Very novelty, wouldn't be a regular brew.

02-29-2008 07:33:07 | More by mattster
bort11

Missouri

2.63/5  rDev -26.3%

22 oz bottle poured into a pub glass. A tall initial head that recedes quickly. Not much lacing left. Color is a clear, dark redding brown. Minimum carbonation activity.

Smell is a little weak, though it leans towards a chocolate malt aroma. A bit of hops and pepper mingles. Taste is pretty confusing. It starts off with a smoked/chocolate malt then moves to Cascade hops and then finishes with a chile pepper after taste. Really all over the place. Mouthfeel is light bodied and a tad creamy. The carbonation stings a bit, but that may have been enhanced by the pepper.

Over all I'm not that impressed bt the style.

02-22-2008 12:15:12 | More by bort11
dsa7783

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

650 ML copped for $5.99 from Oak Tree in South Plainfield... been waiting a long time to sample this one... the chipotle essence had long piqued my interest, so I decided to give this one a try... Pours an amber, copper hue with a minimal frothy head that soon dissipated... smell was very clear, crisp, and clean with a slight spice essence that included a delicate balance of malts, hops, and caramel... the chipotle flavor was not as noticeable as I had been anticipating... a slight spice taste is subtely noticeable, but not at all overwhelming or too strong... a slight resemblance to an amber ale keeps striking my mind as I'm writing this... When I heard "chipotle", I was expecting a strong spice flavor, but I didn't find that here... instead, I found a strong amber, red, taste... I wasn't dissapointed by the flavor at all... this is a classic Rogue brew with the distinct quality flavor and taste usually associated with the brewery... I really liked this one, and if you're a fan of Rogue brews, you are sure to like this one... easily drinkable with a nice mouthfeel... Definitely recommended...

02-11-2008 00:19:06 | More by dsa7783
Aaron58

3.23/5  rDev -9.5%

Picked this one up from a new store in town, saw it advertised and had to try it.

22oz. poured a very good looking amber color with a nice head, although it didnt retain very well.

Aroma was lacking, i did pick up a slight pepper scent. When I tasted it I was blown away. Ive never had a beer like this before and at first i was a little put off by the flavor. You can really taste the chipotle flavor. The more i drank of this beer, the more i appreciated it. Overall, I probably wouldnt go out of my way for it, but its a good beer, and I would drink it again.

02-10-2008 02:56:10 | More by Aaron58
JDV

Nice rich honey amber color with a good frothy whitish head. Smells of a touch of sweetness as it warms, but mostly of hops, and a slight bit of spicy heat, yet not a smoky chipotle spice smell at all. Taste is surprisingly smooth, hoppy, faintly sweet, a decent bit bitter, and perhaps the faintest bite of spice, but it might also just be flavor from the hops. There is a touch of sweetness in the aftertaste which is nice. It does have a warming effect in the chest area after it goes down also, but its definitely not a chipotle smell or smoked taste on the palate. Subtle but still nice, and even though I was expecting a touch more hearty spicy smokiness from the chipotle, It may have made for an overly spicy, unenjoyable beer. This may be the right spice level, but I wish it had a hint of smokiness still. Overall pretty well balanced, but maybe not what you'd expect from looking at the bottle. Good but was a bit pricy at $5.50 for a 22 oz bottle. I liked this beer more and more as I drank it

01-31-2008 18:57:22 | More by JDV
AgingWarrior

3.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Rogue Brewery is one of my favorites and I picked up a big bottle of Chipotle Ale based on the their reputation. I really had no idea of what to expect with this drink.

A Pours a nice coppery red color with a nice thick two finger head and plenty of lacing.

S. Definitely smell the hops on the first whiff. You can also smell the pepper and some citrus.

T. Initial taste is mildly hoppy, nice crisp drink. The aftertaste is where you really taste the chipotle pepper.

M. Great mouthfeel. Feels solid, not too thin.

D. Hard to say... I rated it average as this is my first experience with a chile beer. I'd definitely drink this one again, but I'm not sure when I'd be in the mood for it.

01-24-2008 02:07:59 | More by AgingWarrior
MTNboy

Germany

3.15/5  rDev -11.8%

Appearance- A darker amber with a little bit of a red hue. It is a very head strong beer with about two fingers of head with some good lacing.

Smell- I smell hops and pepper right of the bat. There some definite citrus type tones that are blend with a minor floral touch.

Taste- Not as peppery as some pepper type beers I have had but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I don’t know how to really describe it but some of the other pepper beers I have tasted have had a fake overly spiced taste to them, where this ale does not. It has almost an IPA taste to it.

Mouthfeel- As I made my way through the froth it was some what creamy but as drank it became more a medium bodied beer.

Drinkability- I felt that it was decent beer but not one I would go for all the time but is a good change of pace.

01-14-2008 12:58:46 | More by MTNboy
kosmoraios

Washington

4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

22-ounce bomber about 1 year old. (Bottle dated 01/07)

Pours a crisp, clear red-copper color into my pint glass with a nice white head, 1.5 fingers high. Head never quite goes away, and laces the glass well. Carbonation bubbles are visible rising in the glass.

Aroma is of mild apricot and black pepper. Hint of sweet citrus. Tangy, hoppy nose.

Taste is quite excellent, with hoppy apricot and peach along with a mild toasted toffee malt. The pepperyness takes just a minute to register on the tongue, but makes you want another sip as soon as it does. Smooth and peppery in the mouth.

A very nice, refreshing, sessionable ale from Rogue.

01-14-2008 00:06:58 | More by kosmoraios
RblWthACoz

3.78/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a cloudy amber - kind of reminds me of a Belgian brew. Nose is muted, but with a touch of a sweet edge. Flavor is actually pretty damn good. Starts off with an almost overly sweet tone which slowly morphs into something smoky and clean. The smoked peppers actually keep in your mouth. Over time as it warms up the smokey flavors REALLY come out. Feel is a bit thin, and it is drinkable (though a 22 oz bomber might be a bit too much for one person in one sitting), even though this is a chile beer.

12-30-2007 05:43:09 | More by RblWthACoz
Brad007

Vermont

4.63/5  rDev +29.7%

I've had this beer in the past and enjoyed it, though I never reviewed it.

Pours a reddish/pale color with a thick head that leaves decent lacing. Aroma is strong and malty with the hint of chipotle on the nose. Reminiscent of a scottish ale of sorts. Chipotle itself adds a spiciness to the aroma of this beer.

Taste is strong and malty upfront with a chewiness and burn provided by the chipotle. Leaves a decent spiciness at the back of the tongue that goes down with a mild burn. A second sip confirms the same thing except that the chipotle dominates the palate here and nearly overwhelms the malt.

This is the type of beer that isn't for everyone. I personally enjoy it as I really like spicy foods. This beer would definitely go well with a burger or something more. I feel it's well done for the style as well.

12-30-2007 03:36:56 | More by Brad007