Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
dreadnatty08

District of Columbia

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours an amber color with plumes of frothy, bubbly head, gorgeous. Very earthy smelling, not so much smokey, but the chilies are present. C hops and malt provide a nice backbone, this is some interesting stuff. Flavors are, at first very typical amber ale like, then the smokey chili flavors dominate. This is close to a smoked beer, but it has more of the chipotle flavor to it, not a smoked malt flavor. A little spiciness lingers in the mouth, this would be perfect with chocolate. Overall, I have to say this beer met my expectation of both weird and delicious. The bomber is certainly drinkable, but beyond that forget it, I'll grab an IPA fast over this. Well done.

04-21-2006 21:39:45 | More by dreadnatty08
Freshie

4.13/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours a light amber colour, with nice lacing that dissapates to the side of the glass.

Smells of malt, light hop, then tingly pepper aroma.

The taste is malty smooth, with gradual build of smoked and pepper flavour clinging to the cascade hops. The pepper taste is in no way overpowering. It clings to the back of your throat very lightly, just enough to let you know it's there.

The smokey nature of this brew stays with you as you drink it. Very well put together. All the ingrediants seem to be in good balance.

Cheers!

04-20-2006 00:39:51 | More by Freshie
silver0rlead

Pours an intense crimson-amber with a nice beige head. The aroma is mostly malty with toasted bread and caramel, some spicy and floral hops and a mild, smokey pepper scent. The flavor is subtle but complex, with some toasted bread and biscuit, spicy and floral hops, and complex smokeiness, as well as roasted chipotle pepper...very nice. The mouthfeel is medium and drinkability is good. A very nice chile beer, complex and tasty.

04-17-2006 01:31:40 | More by silver0rlead
trouserbat

3.6/5  rDev +0.8%

It poured out a nice red-tinted, hazy oak, with a thick reddish head. It smelled like roasted peppers, caramel, and (bready) yeast. While I could taste hops, they were just a foundation for the roasted chipotles and malt. And this is a malty beer, not sweet, but a little thicker than I had expected. More importantly: it has a heavy roasted chipotle flavor, though very little heat. Instead, the peppers give a great roasted / smoky flavor. This beer would be wonderful with a big Southwestern meal.

I'm not sure how typical this beer is for the style. While I was expecting a crisp, spicy pale ale, I was pleasantly surprised by the smoky, roasted taste.

04-15-2006 23:53:32 | More by trouserbat
EPICAC

3.33/5  rDev -6.7%

I picked up a bottle of Rogue Chipotle Ale at Downtown Wine & Spirits a month or so ago. I let this warm slightly and served it in my San Francisco Brewing Company pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazy red-orange with a beige head that dissipates to a persistent ring. Fizzy carbonation sounds almost soda-like.

Smell: Some very light sweet malts, maybe caramel or toffee. I'm not really sure because the light smokiness masks them. Overall the aromas were fairly subtle. I was expecting more spiciness or smokiness.

Taste: There's a nice underlying beer here. A solid sweet and bready malt backbone runs throughout, with bitter hops that provide a nice balance. The smokiness comes through in the center and lingers into the finish. The smokiness becomes more evident as the beer warms. The spiciness isn't really something you taste; rather it builds and becomes more evident as you drink.

Mouthfeel: Light to moderate carbonation. Light-bodied and a bit thin. Spicy heat warms the throat.

Drinkability: The smokiness of this beer is too much.

Overall: I liked this beer better than the Jalapeño Sunsplash that I had at the Extreme Beer Fest. The base beer was nicer, though in the end the smokiness was too much, and the spiciness could have been raised.

04-11-2006 03:24:10 | More by EPICAC
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a brilliantly clear, reddish amber color and is topped by a frothy, three-finger thick, light tan colored head. The aroma has a slight, yet almost caramelized fruity, smokey note to it that just seems characteristically like a chipotle to me. There is a bit of chile-like vegetal notes, but this is fairly mellow and there only if you really look for it. The smoke though, is the dominant note in the aroma.

The taste is lightly sweet up front, with a solid caramel/ crystal malt contribution. The finish is all smokey chipotle though. This is not to say that the chipotle notes are domineering, they are quite evident though, but in a almost subtle, sort of integrated manner. This is a nice quaffable beer as well, and I could see this pairing pretty well with some Mexican food. It is not spicy at all, which makes me wonder what kind of impotent chipotles were used in the making of this beer, but this makes for a much more universally drinkable beer (though why would you do this for such a niche beer). Regardless this is pretty tasty, and I am going to see how this beer pairs with a red-chile pazole.

It actually pairs quite well, the smokiness is subdued by the red chile broth, but still retains its complexity, and it remains an almost quenching retreat from the heat of the dish. In fact I would say that where this beer really excels is in its pairing with spicy Mexican food. I'll certainly try it with all sorts of dishes.

04-04-2006 02:30:39 | More by Gueuzedude
Mitchel

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

Hmmm… attention-grabbing. It pours a cloudy orange-brown. The head is moderate and pasty with great retention. It smells of chipotle (obviously) and smoky malts. Just a hint of fruitiness in the nose.

It is surprisingly smooth and soft on the palate. It is a little bready and just a tiny bit spicy. For me, the chipotle is overpowering. I wasn’t sure what I was looking for exactly, but I got a salsa flavored drink. The spiciness is from the chipotle and not from hops and it can get stronger as you drink. Nothing to be worried about though. Medium body and just a hint of citrus.

Rogue’s Chipotle Ale is interesting. The chipotle can be overpowering but if you are a lover of peppers, then this is a winner. This beer is not my favorite offering from Rogue, but they do have many more beers to offer. Mediocre in my book.

04-03-2006 02:19:08 | More by Mitchel
kamiller

Missouri

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a nice amber color with a one finger off white head. Smells of sweet malt, I can't pick up any spices, but nonetheless a pleasant smell. It has a very subtle spice with a malty sweetness, leaves a spicy warmness. The mouthfeel is smooth, almost no carbonation. It is a pretty drinkable beer, after my first glass I started to feel the spice. I probably wouldn't drink more than one, but I had a 25oz bottle so I didn't have much choice. I will say that I was hoping for something with a little more spice, this is a very subtle.

03-31-2006 23:45:10 | More by kamiller
Oktoberfest

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

This beer is all about subtlety. There is no chili pepper floating inside the bottle but the chipotle presence is there nonetheless, lurking around under the surface. Peppery and smoky but not overwhelmingly so with a malt sweetness beneath. Pours a clear amber and carries a unique, not unpleasant aroma.

The first thing my wife and I both thought was how to pair this with food as this seems a good choice for a broad range of meals. It's not an everyday beer nor is this a big beer (especially served as we did it right after the Imperial IPA. What were we thinking?) but a solid experience and one I wouldn't mind to repeat. Try it if you're curious. It's not THAT out there.

03-26-2006 23:41:42 | More by Oktoberfest
Terp96

4.33/5  rDev +21.3%

I happen to love this beer. I had it about 6 year ago in LA but now that it is on the East Coast, I had to revisit it.

Looks great. A nice amber color with ample, slightly off-white head. Good lacing.

Smell is hoppy, spicy and grassy. There is a nice bit of smokiness as well. Not as much peppery aroma as I expected but very pleasing.

Taste is great. Malty smokiness up front with a nice hop balance. Finishes nicely with a peppery bite. Very satisfying. This would go particulary well with spicy food or a hot summer day.

Mouthfeel is also very nice. It is well balanced. A good bit of syrupy sweetness balanced with a prickly hop/pepper bit on the tongue.

Very drinkable. I liken it to a rauchbier as well. Very similar in taste, aroma and mouthfeel. It's easier to drink too. I will go back for more.

03-26-2006 13:09:01 | More by Terp96
bigbubba

4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

This has a nice dark copper color with an off-white head. The smell is very nice, sweet with a bit of chocolate. The taste is very good. It is sweet, spicy and smokey. Almost like a Scottish Ale. The finish is dry and bitter, but not a typical hop bitterness. The smoke flavor is noticeable but not overbearing. My mouth kind of feels like I was drinking a good beer and smoking a good cigar. Mouthfeel is nice and full, very smooth. And the drinkability is good.

03-08-2006 23:30:33 | More by bigbubba
tavernjef

4.43/5  rDev +24.1%

A mold of clouded copper. Small, unlasting cap of big bubbly froth. Light lacing with some strings and tiny spots.

Aroma is lovely with a huge smokey malt and roasted pepper waft.
Round and spicy, smokey and resonating. Nice!

Taste is just as nice with moderate malts giving weight to the smokey ridge in which it rides. Fun lingering finish with the smokey leftovers and grab of roasted pepper spice. It wavers on the palate for good length with smokey pepperness. Quite nice. Never over the top with its spice, but definately present.

Feel is a sturdy medium body with a malty centered middle and one fun finish with the smokey spices and lightly textured dryness.

A drinkable, fun brew to behold if in the mood for something out of the ordinary. Perfectly spiced and smokey for this Northern boys' buds.

03-08-2006 01:50:04 | More by tavernjef
chakadrum

Dirty light /red/orange in color. Little head. No lacing.

If I inhale really deep I can smell a hint of pepper. Other than that not much to speak of. Sort of smooth on the mouth. Goes down easy.

A cool concept for beer, but it just didn't really taste much like peppers or have any kick to it at all.

03-07-2006 00:20:14 | More by chakadrum
Vancer

3.15/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Mahogany pour with fast dying tan head – no bottled date on screen label.

Rich, malty aroma, with notes of the ol’ spicy peppers. Rustic tasting woody and smoky chili peppers stand out in this one – but they are not overpowering, fortunately

A very thin and quiet brew, the peppers are the whole story here. It’s just not a brew to savor, it’s more of a hurry up and finish it frosty. I think you really need to be working on some BBQ to fully enjoy it.

02-24-2006 02:27:05 | More by Vancer
silver1audi

Vermont

4.18/5  rDev +17.1%

Until this point, the only chile beer I've tried was the notorious Cave Creek Chili Beer. After that, I never really had the burning desire to try another chile beer. I finally picked up a bottle of Rogue Chipolte Ale today and to my suprise, I'm really enjoying it. It has a nice sweet peppery malt scent and it tastes great. You can certianly pick up the pepper flavors but they are not at all overwhelming as they are in Cave Creek. I cannot detect much for hops but there might be an ever so slight cascade taste if any. This is also a highly drinkable beer and well balanced considering it's made with chipolte peppers... I will have no problem finishing this bottle, and actually would like to pick up another. Going down well with my RB sandwich...

There are probably others like me who fear spending the 4.50 on a bottle of chipolte ale after trying something like cave creek, but I highly recommend this beer. Rogue is a great brewer and they have made a winner with this beer. The peppers compliment the rest of the beer well and it's a nice change from your average beer. I recommend it and will certianly be picking this up again. Maybe in just a few minutes...

02-23-2006 23:13:31 | More by silver1audi
falloutsnow

3.75/5  rDev +5%

A: Lacing remains about the glass after two finger head has faded. Caramel brown in color with reddish tints. Visibly active carbonation, but the body is murky.
S: Smells medicinal with a bit of smoked pepper aroma. Some malt sweetness is present, but the ale is devoid of hop scent. Somewhat disappointing in this category, not much depth and what is present is not particularly pleasing.
T: Some spiciness in the aftertaste, most likely from the peppers. This increases as the beer warms, providing an interesting effect over the course of the session. The chipotle pepper taste is present in the early stages, later replaced by a general malt sweetness. Perhaps most surprising is the level of balance exhibited here: neither the malt nor the peppers overpowers the other. The variety of flavors and effects one encounters here are quite interesting, contributing to its overall complexity and depth.
M: Medum to light body with active carbonation suitably paired with the spiciness of the chipotle; they completement each other excellently, making the beer quite enjoyable and unique to drink.
D: Good for a reminder of the summer to come or for a summer evening outdoors. Including peppers works well in this case and Rogue deserves credit for trying this out and succeeding with it. The spiciness in beer is interesting and quite enjoyable.

02-07-2006 01:48:45 | More by falloutsnow
Tupperwolf

Washington

4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a slightly hazed dark amber / light golden red with a thin tan head - I had to force a bit of carbonation into a lazy covering, but it left behind a nice series of lacing rings that faded slowly away.

Very sweet honeyish malts and a bit of spice that I want to attribute to hops, but should probably give to the peppers - it's got a bit more heat than the usual pine of hops.

Smooth, gentle and pretty unassuming on the malt flavor - a medium, wheat bread kind of taste, followed up with a few swirls of hop oil, followed immediately by a delicious blooming, blossoming, swelling taste of peppers - it's not hot, and it's not overpowering at all, but the taste is rounded and compliments the beer well - it really tastes like I'm washing down a taco with a swig of beer. Don't be afraid - the pepper taste is delicious and doesn't linger at all - it makes its presence known and curteously steps aside.

A proper amount of carbonation distributes what little pepper and alcohol heat there is; It's a light ale, and the finish is extremely clean, which surprised me - I expected pepper taste to hang around in the mouth, but once you swallow, you're left with only a few seconds' revisitation of the malts, then nothing. If anything, I wish this were a bit heartier and more full.

I'm actually really glad I tried this one - I admittedly just wanted it for the bottle. I think Rogue managed to do a pepper beer the right way.

01-29-2006 19:01:16 | More by Tupperwolf
johnniemarg

4.47/5  rDev +25.2%

Appearance is a translucent amber-orange with a huge tan head. The individual bubbles on the side of the glass look larger than usual. Gorgeous lacing as I drink it down.

The smell is smoky chipotle. It's overwhelming.

Taste is, you guessed it, smoky chipotle. I've had beer infused with hot peppers before and they were disgusting. This one is great. It's not hot, it just gives you the smoke and the flavor of the chipotle pepper. There's a sweet smooth malt flavor underneath the chipotle. I made some enchiladas the other day with chipotles in them and I can't wait to eat the one I'm warming, accompanied by this beer, as soon as I finish this review. I love chipotle peppers and I can't believe it works this well in a beer.

Nice thick creamy mouthfeel.

This stuff is awesome. I wish I could have one of these every time I have mexican food.

01-24-2006 01:39:28 | More by johnniemarg
brewdlyhooked13

4.03/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - reddish, coppery pour. Medium-bubbled soda pop head gets thin fast but holds at a thin cap. Not much lace but very active beading looks nice.

Aroma - some vague malty sweetness, mixing at first with some mild hop aroma, then things get interesting as some chipotle pepper comes through. Hmmm...

Taste - smoky and peppery. Not spicy hot, more like a smoked beer. Just enough chipotle flavor to make it distinctive. Some hop presence on the swallow and finish, but the pepper and smoke keep it from developing. Pretty good stuff!

Mouthfeel - zesty carbonation, just about medium body, nicely done to make this a good one with food or without.

Drinkability - there aren't many pepper beers to contend with, but this is my favorite one. Great grill-food beer.

01-22-2006 05:53:25 | More by brewdlyhooked13
TheEclecticGent

Georgia

2.68/5  rDev -24.9%

Had this unusual beer at the “Rogue Fest” in December 2005 at Summits Wayside Tavern in Sandy Springs, GA. They somehow have close ties with Rogue Brewery and get unusual kegs. I was skeptical about this one and avoided it on a few trips. I do love chipotle sauce and beer but didn’t know about combining them. Poured like standard ale, a clear golden amber with a little bit of quickly disappearing head. The smell is of beer and yep chipotle sauce! Smells pleasant like a backyard BBQ. The mouthfeel was a little flat. The taste was OK, mildly hoppy ale with a heavy chipotle finish. It grew on me a bit as I drank it but can’t say I would have another. It’s a novelty though. Glad I tried it.

01-21-2006 01:22:42 | More by TheEclecticGent
ybnorml

Rhode Island

4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

A clean dark amber beer with orange hightlights. Has a big foamy off white head. Aroma ... OK smoked chille peppers and just a hint of sweet malt in the background, but mostly smoked chille peppers. Taste ... Ok this has got to be on of the best tasteing "chile" beers I hav had yet. A great smooth smoky character at first then a little malty sweetness with a spicey hop finish and then in true Chipolte fashion a slow building pepper burn. YUM

01-19-2006 00:38:26 | More by ybnorml
PorterLambic

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

I love beer (duh) & I love spicy things so this seemed a natural choice.

Pours (from the 650 ml bottle) a nice light brown with a red tinge. The light tan head lasts but it left no lace to speak of.
Smell is disappointing. I could feel the chipotle spice (capsaicin) in my nose, tickling and tempting me but could smell nothing except hops & malt.
Taste is a bit better with smoke (chipotles are just smoked jalapenos after all), malt and a slight peppery (chipotle) taste.
A medium body with very light heat from the peppers, barley noticeable to a capsaicin addict like me. Not overly hoppy for a Rogue either. I'd say it's safe for the masses to try, not to spicy, not to hoppy, not too much of anything really. I expected more though.

01-16-2006 20:09:11 | More by PorterLambic
Naerhu

Japan

3.23/5  rDev -9.5%

A - Nice amber-brown body, but tiny malnurished head.
S - Malty nose with a slight rauchbier background
M - Malty with relatively light bitterness, a little too sweet, but with hints of smokyness midpalate and finishing with a slight hot pepperyness.
M - I found this beer to be rather heavy and not as vibrant as I would have hoped.
D - I appreciated the smoke and pepper where nicely integrated with the rest of the beer, unlike so many rauch beers and pepper beers. That being said, it was only an average beer.

01-15-2006 13:29:16 | More by Naerhu
daliandragon

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

This is one of those beers on the shelf at the distributor that I've been putting away for the right moment, like when I just wanted to try something wacky. I'm a big fan of all things spicy and of course, of beer but I find myself a bit unsure whether this will be a good beer experience or not.
Color is very interesting, reddish and visibly highly carbonated with the tint becoming clearly darker at the top. Head is thin but creamy and lasting. Body is close to opaque. Nose is fairly faint with some muted hops and a backround of something that might be peppers.
Wow, after the mildness of the scent, the blast of smoky flavors in the taste is a surprise. Not really hot, but certainly flavorful. Finish is surprisingly clean and crisp. This is definitely an original ale. The aftertaste is fairly strong as well.
Interesting stuff. Not for everyday drinking but still, a nice solid ale with a touch of hot peppers..ooh, let me go get some pepper jack, sweeeet.. Do you like peppers? If so, you'll probably like this.

01-13-2006 04:41:27 | More by daliandragon
Gaisgeil

3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Quite an interesting ale, Rogue really made this appealing.

Pours a deep amber/chestnut in color with a fizzy white head. Nose is noticably malty with a certain vague smokiness to it. Taste is sort of rudimentary at first, but then the smoke/heat combo make a bit of a bite on the tongue along with a certain sweetness. Mouthfeel is silky and medium bodied, drinkability is quite high. Pairs very well with barbeque.

Slàinte!