2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chipotle AleChipotle Ale

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Ratings: 1,193 | Reviews: 681 | Show All Ratings:
UCLABrewN84

3.43/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy orange-brown with a foamy beige head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of smoked malt, band-aid, chipotle pepper, and slight fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with smoke, chipotle, and fruity flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of smoke bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a smoke and chipotle presence that comes across better in the flavor, but it lacks any sort of heat for a chile beer.

06-20-2013 04:30:37 | More by UCLABrewN84
kaseydad

4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

Wife picked this up for lil ol me. I'll say I passed it many a times. My error.

Pint glass pour and I am met with a slightly hazy amber colored ale and a decent sized cream colored head. Touch of lacing. Light head stays throughout the session.

The aroma is on the malty almost musky side. Spices are present, meaty, light jalapeno shines through and I like it :o) Yeast. Smoke and leather.

The taste is excellent for the style. Just a touch of heat that lingers...the entire sip and well after. Dulled jalapeno flavor, meat, orange, white pepper and a decent kick of hops to go along with the spice. This beer takes me right to that edge between enough and too much.

Not overly carbonated as the hops and flavor work in unison here.

Overall I really dug this. A bomber is probably enough for the palate, but the overall session was very enjoyable. The right amount of peppers is key and the Rogue crew nailed it here. I'm still getting a little heat and numbing of the gums as I write. Definitely one of my favorite Rogue beers and one I will be hitting up again.

06-19-2013 00:58:52 | More by kaseydad
Philousa

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a clear copperish orange with a decent amount of dense white head. Aroma is sweet, mostly biscuit with some honey and a good helping of smoke with spice. Sweet biscuit with a metallic facet, the malt lasts a while before the smoky chipotle fades in and takes over until the grassy, bitter hops finish. I misspoke. The real finish is in the spice, which crescendos to a mild tingling on the lips. Pleasurable, not overwhelming. Feel is thin and finish is middling.

This is actually a decent spicy beer with the right amount of heat. Won't seek out again, because I'd just rather have something else, but there's a lot of room for error and they avoided all of it, so that's definitely commendable.

05-24-2013 04:18:51 | More by Philousa
FLima

Brazil

3.69/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I did not get the fact that in the ingredients it mentions Chipotle, but in the description Jalapeños, but they are completely different.
Amber color with a small head with a medium retention.
Aroma of chipotles, but not aggressive, with hints of floral hops and sweet malts on the background.
Fruity taste mixed with dry-smoked chipotles and floral hops. Dry and mildly bitter aftertaste with a residual spicy feeling in your throat and condiments on your tongue. On a second, the smoked flavor is so present that may not come just from the Chipotle.
Medium body with good carbonation.
Interesting beer, I liked the fact they limited the amount of chipotle added to the recipe, and its hops helps to refresh it. That would be a great beer to mix on a blind taste session. It is the kind that I am glad I tried it but not sure I would seek this again, but I would sure drink it again if it knocks my door.

05-11-2013 02:09:59 | More by FLima
BeerEngineer

3.51/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

General - This beer was from a bottle that poured this into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance - Great color to the beer, a nice clean amber color. Head was a great off white that diminished fairly slowly. Great lacing on the beer though. The color of the beer honestly reminds me a of a pepper for some reason!

Smell - A smoky scent to the beer with a slight (very mild) burn from the peppers. Really like it, different for sure, but very nice. I can smell a slight backbone of malt with a touch of hops although they aren't floral or fruity. Just a slight bitterness.

Taste - Very understated chipotle taste, really enjoyable. There is a slight burn at the back of the throat after drinking it but nothing that would be "overkill". A definite bitterness to this beer also, you can taste the hops in it more than I expected that you would be able to. The malted flavor stands up to the chipotle very well. There is a good smokey flavor with the beer also, not as severe or noticeable as a true smoked beer but there is a certain hint to it. Very nice.

Mouthfeel - A little on the thin side for a true amber ale, I would say light to medium light. Pretty highly carbonated also.

Overall - Something different that's not TOO different. If you were to drink this without knowing what it was you would know that it was with some sort of pepper but it's not too pronounced. Not something to have every day or in large quantities but for a random beer every once in a while it's good.

04-26-2013 03:47:27 | More by BeerEngineer
EvanJohnson

Connecticut

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

This is a great flavored beer. I've had a few chili pepper inspired beers in the past and usually they are over the top. This one is right on. You get a nice and very distinct chipotle flavor. That said it doesn't overpower the nice clean underlying ale. This would be a great beer to mix in to a tasting due to its distinctness. I had it paired with some local cheeses and it was fantastic. This isn't an every night beer but a great one to mix it up a bit.

04-20-2013 00:46:14 | More by EvanJohnson
CaptMaelstrom

Tennessee

4.15/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Quite opaque, bronze/copper color. Minimal lacing/head.

Smells more malty than hoppy, you can detect a bit of peppery/spicy heat.

Perhaps a bit biased, as I'm enjoying this with arroz con pollo, but I believe this beer to be quite complex and well-balanced. The first wave is a little cinnamon sweet, you get the bready/toasty maltness, followed quickly with the warmth of the cinnamon and something like cardamom. The spice flavors seem well blended, like the beer has been aged or something. Lots of after-tastes.. ham/bacon, more spices/herbs, licorice perhaps.

Surprisingly light. Like the beer turns into vapor when it hits your tongue. Quite refreshing.

Overall, a solid entry into the spiced/herbal beers from Rogue. Worth a try.

03-28-2013 00:19:38 | More by CaptMaelstrom
AlCaponeJunior

3.78/5  rDev +5.9%

Not bad looking, reddish with some orange hues, a bit hazy with a few rising bubbles, meh head and some decent lace.

I'm really on the fence on this one. It's kinda like they were trying to make a smoke beer but made a weak chili beer instead. They also seem to have made a smoke beer but forgot the dark malts. First smell and sip I was thinking "wtf" but after about half the beer it grew on me. It gets better as you go.

Body is good, rich and thick, almost chewy but with a smoky aftertaste.

Overall it's odd, but pretty good nonetheless. For a chile beer, it's darn tasty.

02-26-2013 21:41:59 | More by AlCaponeJunior
atigerlife

Hawaii

3.35/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours amber with lots of carbonation. Big fluffy head that has good retention.

Aroma is of malts, smokey....

Taste is spicy, malts, pepper. Leaves the tongue tingly. Curious.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and cleansing.

Overall, an interesting beer but not particularly sessionable.

02-15-2013 17:27:36 | More by atigerlife
DragonzBreath

3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

Rogues Chipotle Ale --- Great looking in the glass, amber orange color with a nice fluffy head. I didn't notice a distinct smell, and very little smokiness. Good malt with no hop flavor, it was smooth and left a little burn at the end. Taco salad i paired with it brought out the chipotle. Abv 5.50
I would buy it again.

01-13-2013 16:19:43 | More by DragonzBreath
skifreaky

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

I wasn't completely sure what to expect when I had this beer, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I had to take a couple sips of the beer before I could really notice the subtle taste of the peppers, but it adds a nice little kick to the end of your drink. Paired well with a buffalo chicken pizza.

12-22-2012 20:24:23 | More by skifreaky
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

First time I've ever tried a "Chile Beer," glad I get to try something from a company I'm fairly familiar with, here goes:

In a pint glass:

A: light amber colored body, really nice looking foamy lumpy white two finger head appears and lasts for a good three minutes before gently dieing into the body. Some carbonation is seen rising. Some spotty lacing is left.

S: wow, I can really smell the jalapeno peppers (honestly, I was a bit skeptical and thought it would be just another amber that displays undertones of peppers)

T: the same adding a very dry smokey aftertaste.

M: medium and sharp on the tongue, possibly because of the peppers that were added (just an assumption, but unfamiliar with the style so slightly unsure). I'm liking this "hot" feel rushing over my tongue after about five minutes of having a couple sips of this, interesting.

O: I've been wanting to try this for a very long time. I'm glad I was finally able to find one. I'm not sure if this is only a "Spring" beer anymore since only recently I saw a large amount added to Bow Street Market, Freeport, Maine. I guess its good for its style since it displays the normal smell and taste of "hot and spicy food" the mouthfeel I'm unsure of and am making an assumption on that part, but I think I would come back to this. I wonder how this would pair with chocolate cake at dessert?

12-20-2012 21:31:49 | More by BeerKangaroo
Justin23060

2.78/5  rDev -22.1%

A - Slight head that disappeared to ice tea foam. Cloudy orange ice tea color
S - Sweet malt. Not as much chipotle smell as I was expecting. Slight pleasant leather that turned into unpleasant medicated bandade.
Taste is dominated by smokey chipoltle. Smoke is of mild rauchbier. Starts sweet end semi dry. Nice linger.
M - Adequate
O - Not super impressed by this one. The smoke was nice but the bandaid really killed it for me. Probably won't get this again, and can really recommend it in good conscience.

11-18-2012 04:23:20 | More by Justin23060
jwhancher

4.55/5  rDev +27.5%

Pours a cloudy orange with amber highlights. Nice orangish fluffy head. Smells mostly malty, but as it warms you ger a nice subtle smokey pepper character. Tastes fantastic! The chipotles really shine through and are beautifully balanced with the malts. Virtually no hop character - I'd imagine they're strictly for bittering purposes at 35 IBUs. Feels medium with very nice balance between malts, hops, & spices. Really well done pepper beer. Something I'd like to brew myself. Pleasantly surprised!

Note: do not drink this beer with anything that is chipotle spiced. I had a chipotle spiced chicken burrito (homemade) and it completely masked this beer. I'd say try it with something neutral to spice up your meal. And don't worry: there's no noticeable heat in this brew - just yummy goodness.

10-03-2012 23:17:36 | More by jwhancher
tdm168

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

A - orangish amber with a soft, white cap of dense head

S - smokey, peppers

T - all out chipotle peppers, some very very faint caramel

M - medium bodied, smooth, well carbonated

This isn't a bad beer, bit it comes across more as an ingredient rather than a beer. It has good flavor if you love chipotle peppers, but I'm not sure I would ever want more than this one bomber. I'm glad I tried it once.

10-02-2012 08:53:27 | More by tdm168
coreyfmcdonald

Georgia

2.4/5  rDev -32.8%

22oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a clear amber color with a finger of dense white head. Good retention.

S: Each time I sniff this beer, I get something different - really odd. It's like it has a bunch of different flavors (all fairly mild), but they aren't melded together. It's like smelling several different beers all at once. I get bready malts, a bit of smoke, a bit of piney hops, and a bit of malted milk balls. In the background, I also get a bit of spice.

T: Equally as odd. The beer starts out with bready malts andy a bit of toffee behind that. After that I get some oxidation notes with a piney hop and slight smoke finish. Again, the flavors seem independent of each other and really do not meld together. The beer is also quite dry to the point it's a bit unpleasant. The aftertaste has a bit of spice burn.

M: Very thin with medium to high carbonation.

O: Definitely an odd experience. There are a lot of things going on in this beer, but all very mild and the flavors do not meld well. I really don't like this beer very much. It need a thicker mouthfeel, more sweetness, and flavors that complement each other a bit better.

09-26-2012 02:04:48 | More by coreyfmcdonald
BrownAleMale

Wisconsin

2.2/5  rDev -38.4%

Bomber bottle poured into a Kasteel goblet glass.

Appearance- The color of cherry 7up with basically 0 head.

Smell- Not getting to much here, just a lot of char.

Taste- Follows the nose. Taste like chard Smokey campfire wood. Some bread malt with no real hop finish at all.

Mouthfeel- Once again think 7up. It's so carbonated. I actually would think this is a lager if it didn't say ale right on the bottle.

Overall- Was underwhelmed all around. Taste of liquid smoke not chipolte at all. I absolutely love spicy peppers and food and this is neither spicy or good at all. Super disappointed!

09-19-2012 06:20:17 | More by BrownAleMale
Abrandonship

Nevada

4.45/5  rDev +24.6%

Appearance:
I poured this beer directly from the bottle into red wine glass. The liquid was a reddish copper color and the head was a very pale tan. Just a shade off of white.

Smell:
The malt in this beer is very noticeable. The smell that the chipotle gives off is very faint. It's as if you walked into a room where chipotles where on display, rather than holding one up to your nose.

Taste:
The taste of this beer is very unique. The hop flavor is almost inevident, but chipotle fills that hole very nicely. It isn't a strong chile flavor though (scoville-phobes need not avoid this brew). The chipotle taste is not overbearing and definitely not spicy.

Mouth feel:
Drinking this beer gives me the feeling of having eaten a very spicy meal about 45 minutes ago. I just have a sort of a very gentle tingling in the gums and palate. I'm not sure I described that correctly, but it's a very enjoyable feeling.

Overall:
This is a very nice beer and a unique one to experience. This is my first chile beer, and I hope to explore many more offerings in the genre.

FULL DISCLOSURE: Though I wouldn't even call this spicy, I do enjoy really spicy food and the feeling you get from it.

09-09-2012 22:40:22 | More by Abrandonship
Darkmagus82

3.25/5  rDev -9%

Served on tap in a pint glass

Appearance – Served a golden amber colored brew with a one finger white head. The head faded rather fast to leave a good level of lacing.

Smell – The aroma is heaviest of a malty and ready smell. Mixed with these aromas are some hot pepper as well as a smoky and char like aroma.

Taste –The taste begins more on the malty side. This more bready taste is soon met with some smoke and char flavors more toward the middle of the taste. The chipotle in the name is, for the most part , absent up till the middle of the taste, at which point some light hints of pepper heat are detected. At the end the spicy flavor gets a bit stronger (although never really all that potent) and leaves a light spicy heat aftertaste to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The beer is on the average side in terms of thickness with a carbonation level that is average as well. A good compromise for the more malty and spicy characteristics of the brew which overall create a good drinkability.

Overall – The beer has some good flavors and feel, but is not really something I would ever pine for on any real occasion. Worth a try, but nothing exceptional.

08-18-2012 00:30:13 | More by Darkmagus82
MeneerBeerSnob

District of Columbia

4.2/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bomber poured into a stein. Eaten with Chipotle drenched in Tabasco Chipotle sauce.

A-Deep amber with thin creamy tan head

S-Crisp ale with smokey peppers

T-Malty ale with after taste of chipotle peppers (obviously)

M-Just rich enough to let the malty sweetness and smoky peppers flow on your tongue

O-Very interesting take on an ale, but I highly recommend drinking with food with some kind of chipotle seasoning. It complements so well that they should sell it at all Mexican restaurants.

08-17-2012 00:23:54 | More by MeneerBeerSnob
smakawhat

Maryland

4.23/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Real nice nearly crystal clear body and a wonderful just magic copper orange red color. Not much noticeable rising carbonation, but a nice fluffy head, three to four fingers deep forming real nicely, with a slight yellow hue to it.

Nose is great roasted pepper, char and slight burnt with airy crispness. It reminds of diving into a bowl of salsa. Hints of smoke whaff out of this almost like a rauchbier. Great smelling brew.

Palate hits the right notes. It's not wham hard, but a real nice subtle char and smoked pepper. Malt sweetness finishes the brew on the aftertaste, rounding out the flavors of pepper to meld nicely on the tongue. Mouthfeel has just the right amount of richness to bring everything forward, nothing thick or wet, just about simple and right.

OVerall great example of a chile and pepper action in a brew, I will have this again when in the mood.

07-28-2012 00:42:41 | More by smakawhat
Intrinsic

Germany

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Since this is only the second chile beer I've ever had it's hard to judge this one, but I can say for sure that it's a very interesting beer. It's a nice amber colour but the light brown head disappears very quickly and there's almost no carbonation to speak of. The chilies really come through in the smell, along with bready malts and light hops. More of the same in the taste, but this is where the chilies really shine through. Medium body, nice dry finish. Overall, a good beer.

07-25-2012 23:04:04 | More by Intrinsic
mschind

3.95/5  rDev +10.6%

A- Poured from a bomber into a tulip. Clear amber color with a short foamy head without much retention.

S- The malt comes through as well as the smoke from the chipotle. Hops are in the background.

T- I bought this to pair with a smoked chicken chipotle burrito and it was excellent. The chipotle spice, heat and smoke matched the burrito perfectly. Finishing the bottle was like an extension of the meal.

M- Appropriate for style. On the light side but this let's the heat come through without dominating.

O- Outstanding! I can't attest to this as a stand alone beer but this is a perfect pairing with chipotle based cuisine.

07-19-2012 01:24:53 | More by mschind
dontpanic5

3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured into a glass. The color is amber with a large white head. Smell is strong, with a nice chile bite. It's a smooth taste, the chiles are apparent and it's well carbonated. The mouthfeel is average, the spiciness of the drink lingers though which is a nice touch.

07-14-2012 02:55:58 | More by dontpanic5
hosehead83

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from "bomber" bottle into a wine goblet.
Deep amber/apricot in color, with a moderate head of off-white foam.
Aroma-Sweet malt, faint spiciness
Taste-Sweet toasted malt, spices, subtle smoked peppers. A bit of a dry finish. Sweet malt kept from becoming cloying by just right amount of gently warming spices and smoked peppers. This brew cries out for spicy Mexican or Szechuan cuisine. Overall, great balance, flavor and a match for any spicy dish.

06-25-2012 17:09:40 | More by hosehead83