Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
2.03/5  rDev -43.1%

A- Pours a nice amber color with a lackluster white head.

S- Very elusive on the nose, a touch of malts and yeast. WEird fake smokey scent as well.

T- Ugh I guess chili beers are not for me cause this tastes like a straight can of chewing tobacco with a cayenne backer.

D- I had to pour this down the drain first beer Ive ever done this with.

UA8, Oct 03, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

Large capped bottle, poured into a pint.

Amber in color, nice white head, average retention, lots of lacing.
Interesting and powerful aroma; lots of malts in here, caramel, roasted tones, and profound spiciness; peppers, of course.
It tastes something like a heavier malted amber ale, with a lot of spiciness, and some spicy heat to make it interesting, without being over the board as I was afraid. All in all, quite tasty, and not offensive. I am glad I tried.

brdc, Sep 28, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Another worthy entry to the wonderful line of Rogue beers. Pours a nice dark amber into my glass, with minimal head. Taste is smooth before a mild bite of heat at the end. There is a lingering oily heat present from the peppers that are infused into the beer, and a smokiness that reminds me a bit of Alaska's vaunted Smoked Porter. This would go great with some spicy Mexican food. Bravo!

troutmask96, Sep 27, 2008
2.53/5  rDev -29.1%

This brew is a clear amber color with a thick and creamy off-white head that recedes slowly. Thin rings of lacing on the glass. Smokey aroma with prominent peppers and light hops. Medium-bodied with flavors of spicy pepper, sweet malt and citrus hops. The finish is spicy with a fresh pepper aftertaste. Maybe I am still gunshy years after my Cave Creek experience but I really want nothing to do with these types of beers.

Dogbrick, Sep 25, 2008

Poured the bomber into a pint glass, pours a orange color with a foamy white head that leavs on lace on the glass. Smell is of roasted pepper, with hints of mellow malt. Taste is a bit different, first when tasting it my toungue had a cooling senstation, then as I swallowed my throat had a burning fee. I could taste the nice malt character with a smoked pepper feel as it slipped down my throat. This when godo with the salsa I was eating that night, overall I enjoyed this and the peppery taste made my mouth water for more.

gunnerman, Sep 22, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +21.3%

My 1st chile beer and I'm excited to try a flavor in my beer that I know I like on my food. 22oz bomber with no freshness date.

A- Looks like a dark amber pale ale. Decent 2-finger creamy head from a basic pour and minimal lacing.

S- Definite chipotle(roasted cayenne I believe). Some earthy malts in there as well.

T- The chile flavor and heat is subdued by a generous portion of sweet, earthy, almost-bready malts. You can definitely feel the heat but, as expected, it doesn't linger as long as it does in food. Some citrus hops in there but I would've liked more.

M&D- Dry and hot. Consume with powerful food.

EnojysAnyBeer, Sep 19, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From a bomber into the oversized Red Oak mug.

Wow - this pours up like a DIPA...thick, bread-dough head topping a deep copper-mahogany body. Head is only a finger thick but it sticks for quite a while. Same with second pour - this really shows off well.

Definitely dominant chipotle - sort of like taking a whiff of the dry stuff in the huge jar from Costco in my spice cabinet. The malt is present in the backbone but most all else is overpowered by chipotle.

Fortunately the pepper is more subdued on the palate. The solid malt backbone is quite woody and there's a slight hop pine. There's a little tinny aftertaste that comes and goes.

Aside from that intermittent tinny tinge, this doesn't get on too badly for the palate. There's smoke, charcoal and mild pepper heat. Then there's even a little pepper acidity that blends with that stocky malt profile and maybe some pine and grass hops for a woodsy, solid finish.

All in all this drinks like a light, spicy rauchbier with a good malt feel for an ale. The acidity of the peppers and the hop bill contribute well to what would inherently be a low drinkability quotient for me, but this really isn't too bad at all. Worked well with my bowl of chili, too.

IBUnit63, Sep 16, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

A - Amber to brown in color with a 1 finger head. Decent retention and okay lacing.

S - There is spicy pepper and also a smoky aroma. Seems like it is all muddled together to smell really nice.

T - A strangley sweet smokeyness from the peppers with a hole lot of biscuity malts. Only mildly spicy but that is about all that I would want from a pepper beer.

M - Medium bodied and the good carbonation kind of adds a little tingle to the mild spiciness.

D - This beer is strangely beautiful. First pepper beer that i've tried and me likey.

BeenJammin, Sep 15, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Pour from a 22 ouncer in to a pint glass.

This poured an amber color with a decent white head that dissipated into a thin veneer of foam and left a trail of lace down the side of the glass.

The smell is of hops and maybe a bit of pepper. Possibly a bit of malt, although that is debatable.

Taste is hoppy and the backtaste is peppery. I really like the warm feel that goes down as I swallow the beer. I would personally like the peppery taste to be more at the fore while it was in my mouth, but maybe I just had an older brew.

Mouthfeel is carbonated, with a bite. It is a very drinkable beer, although I would prefer something that is a bit spicier.

tedsox31, Sep 11, 2008

22oz bomber into nonic.

Deep honey amber hue with a one finger light tan head that settles to a thin, even cap. Sticky lacing.

The grains don't show up much except to provide a sweet background. The rest of the aroma is smokey and spicy.

The flavor is a lot like the aroma: smokey flavors, along with plenty of spiciness. The malts are toasty and well hidden by the distraction of the peppers. The finish is lingering smoke and a bit of spiciness.

How much you enjoy this beer depends on how much you like spicy foods. You're not going to finish the bottle if you like to avoid spicy foods, or suffer from heartburn. You will enjoy it if you absolutely love everythig spicy. AS for me, I knocked down the drinkability just because it's hard to drink this beer. I've had Cave Creek's Chili Beer, and this is way more drinkable though. This one at least gives you a chance. Recommended (for the spicy food lover).

BeerSox, Aug 31, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -11.8%

Picked this up at Beers of the World in the ROC.

22 oz. bomber poured into a nonic.

Pours a deep clear copper hue with a fluffy three finger off-white head that slowly falls to a thin layer of cream. A bit of webbing remains on the sides of the glass throughout the tasting. Smell is musty and spicey with a touch of caramel malt. Some smoked meats and earthy hops in the nose as well. Very subtle aroma which is nice. Taste begins lightly smokey with some dusty grains and pale malts. The pepper flavor doesn't really emerge until midway with a slight kick that lingers into the aftertaste. What pepper flavor is there though, isn't much. I was expecting more, and to be honest was hoping for more. A noticable citrus hop is detected here and there throughout which reminds me that this is still a beer. As you progress drinking this, it definitely gets warmer in the mouth. Light to medium body with a prickly feel to it. A unique beer for sure, one I'm glad I tried but don't plan to revisit anytime soon. Not bad, but not great. Give it a shot if you feel adventurous.

BeerTruth, Aug 27, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Slightly hazy amber with about a finger of off-white head. Retention is very nice as a thin film with a thick collar remains for the duration. Moderate lacing.

S - Great smoky aroma of chipotle peppers. A smaller aroma of pale malts and light hops accentuates the peppers perfectly.

T - It tastes like peppers for sure, but it's also a bit lacking on the "beer" side of things and strikes me as borderline one-dimensional. In fact, most of the taste doesn't pull through until late palate and in the aftertaste. Early on a mild malt and slight hop character mingle with some of the smoke from the peppers. Mid palate sees the smoke heat with some character from the peppers themselves. Overall very mild until the end of the sip...then it hits like a wrecking ball. Smoke plus peppers (chipotle) hits intensely...it's almost like taking a huge whiff of chipotles; a whiff big enough where you can taste it. After the swallow, a lot of smoke character remains and suddenly the heat kicks in. It's not too bad, a lot like a tad too much red pepper on some meat, or too much black pepper on fried eggs. Hot, but managable.

M - I don't know what kind of mouthfeel would best accompany this interesting marriage of flavors, but the light body and fairly high carbonation of this brew seemed to work well enough.

D - Let's just say I hope I can make it through the rest of the bomber. The heat grows after repeated sips, and honestly it's giving me a bit of heartburn. It's a great flavor, but not exactly something I want to sip on for very long. Might be a good beer to pair with food, or better yet, a great brew to use as a base for a lot of beer/tomato juice cocktails.

PatrickJR, Aug 19, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured a hazy/cloudy deep golden color with decent white head that dissipated pretty quickly. Aroma is very malty and peppery. Flavor is peppery with smoky notes to it as well. The mouthfeel was thin to medium. I liked this a lot, but I think one bomber would probably be my limit at any one time.

biggmike, Aug 18, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +21.3%

FANTASTIC!!!

Slight peppery taste, medium carbonation. Honey colored. Very light lacing around the glass. Pleasure to drink. I wish I had another! Pepper taste lingers for a little bit but is never overpowering. One of my favorites from Rogue and one of the few that I don't look for hops flavor.

Keith238, Aug 17, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

Pouring this from the standard Rogue 650 ml bottle, a clean fluffy head rolled up from its foggy red mass. A beautiful beer...but then I started drinking it.

Right before it touched my lips I smelt the peppers almost like a dry rub. Unfortunately that's also how it felt inside my mouth. The taste was mediocre for Rogue, which is still delightful overall.

There is much left to be desired in this beer. Yet there is still much to enjoy as is.

mangledorf, Aug 16, 2008

A- Nice hazy red coper colored beer. Finger width of light frothy foam.

S- The smell of the smoked chipotle chiles is very much alive and well. It smells good with the bread smell I'm also getting.

T- Tastes like more like a smoked paprika with a tiny touch of spice added in. This will go well with my hot wings for the night.

M- I was hoping for more spice to kick the tongues ass. I've heard a lot of people say it is too spicy for them to drink. I must have got the wimpafyed version.

D- Easy to drink, the smoked flavor is good and unique compared to other smoked beers.

Wetpaperbag, Aug 07, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -1.1%

22 picked up at the Coop for $5... I am making pulled pork and thought that the brew would be nice base for a BBQ sauce... poured about half the bottle into my shaped Sam Adams glass.

1" head above a clear copper amber brew... no real lacing.

Brew doesn't really smell spicy or smoky... more just like a standard medium American hopped Amber ale.

The chipotles are definitely there in the flavor but more of a background smoky/spicy... more smoky than spicy at first sip.. citrus hops are still there as is the standard Amber ale flavors.. Brenda says it goes great with lime flavored tortilla chips. Body is standard Amber as well... the smoky chipotle flavor is more of a novelty to me... I like to use chipotles in my Chili.. I may have to give a little bit of Rogue love to my next batch... but otherwise I don't see me picking this up again unless I am using it something I am cooking... interesting, but not my cup of tea.

JohnGalt1, Aug 03, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

A- clear amber color, good retention on a off white head, soapy lacing

S- spicy, dry, and peppery

T- spicy, distant citric hop in aftertaste, dry, roasted malts, peppery, toasted malts, spicy and hot aftertaste

M- smooth, medium body that drys and is hot and spicy

D- interesting and worth a try, flavoring is amazing but not enjoyable for me

tonistruth, Aug 02, 2008
1.3/5  rDev -63.6%

I love chipotle spices and I love ale. But this beer did not hit my tongue in a favorable way and I had to pour most of it out. The smoky spices were overwhelming and no malt or hop flavor or aroma could break through. Very disappointing, since I am a fan of Rogue's other products.

The taste of the beer just didn't do it for me at all. It wasn't too spicy, it just tasted funky. Might have been a bad bottle, but I never want to smell this beer again!

The beer did look nice and red in the glass, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was food coloring.

TrevorGW, Aug 01, 2008
2.73/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours a brownish-orange color with a small cream-colored head. Even just from looking at it, I can tell the carbonation is really vigorous. Not the most attractive color.

Smell: The spiciness isn't as pronounced as you'd think, though it's definitely there. The most prominent smell is clearly smoke. I'm not getting any hops or malt.

Taste: It's like sticking your head in a chimney. So much smokiness and spiciness that it can easily become overwhelming. Personally, while I can appreciate how different this brew is, I'm not sure if I enjoy it.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Ever had a shot of hot sauce? Did you enjoy the lingering taste in your mouth? If not, this might not be the beer for you. In terms of drinkability, I'm not sure if I can even finish one.

I'm confused. I had this beer a year or two ago and I don't remember it being anywhere near this overwhelming. Maybe I got a bad batch? I have no idea.

beabear, Aug 01, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -2.5%

Copper color with a cream head that seems rich and sticky. Somewhat rocky, with good stick.

Rather needy aroma, you have to really put your face in. A tiny amount of Mesquite smoke, some sweetness in the malt, and not much else.

Well, I really don't like it. And I probably should never have another chili beer. If I dislike Rogue's version this much, I doubt I'll like any.

I am having a hard time appreciating any flavors besides the pepper in the flavor, and it only grows more pronounced in the finish. I am a huge wimp with spicy foods and I don't enjoy this at all. I'm not lowering my ratings much based on personal preference: the mouthfeel seems just about right for most beers, but you have to know brewing this beer that drinkability and flavor are going to be even more subjective than "ordinary" flavors.

BretSikkink, Jul 28, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +18.2%

22-ounce bottle poured into a tulip yields a cherry-amber body capped with a finger of loose, mottled off-white foam that recedes to a ring and leaves swatches of lacing on the glass.

Smell is sweet and toasty-malty with a bit of hot sauce.

Taste is malty and sweetly toasty with a bit of citrus and a nice kick of hot pepper. I bought this beer specifically to drink along with a snack of some rustic multigrain bread, olives, dried Italian salami and a crumbly sheep/goat's milk cheese, and it turned out plenty big to work along with the potent salty/spicy/sour flavors and oily textures in the gnosh. The beer is extremely reminiscent of the Rogue in-your-face pale ale style, which in my mind almost always comprises a consistent malty base with odd experimental flavors defiant of convention that, in reality, seldom overpower the solid base of the drink and fit in just fine. There's a chocolatey bit of caramel in the drink as it warms.

Creamy and soft with great drinkability. Devilishly smooth, warm, and satisfying.

cvstrickland, Jul 28, 2008
3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Had a bomber of this earlier this evening and yeah, this was a pretty spicy brew. This is the first time I had tried anything of its kind and Rogue's always put out good stuff.

Appearance was a nice red/amber ale color with a nice head and excellent lacing. This stuff certainly clung to the sides of the glass and even after the head dissipated, the lacing still kept intact.

Smell was strong with hot peppers (naturally) and hops. For a spicy beer, this stuff certainly was spicy, but was a little overpowering over the smell of the ale.

Taste was really good. As an ale, it was delicious, but the hot peppers thrown into the mixture not only made it spicy and pleasant, it certainly made it much more bitter and pleasing.

Mouthfeel was pretty good, but not too great. While the pepper flavors still tingled, the rest of the stuff faded somewhat quickly.

Drinkability is pretty good however. For an experimental style beer, this is certainly one for the bitter tongues and hot sauce elite. Definitely not a bad Rogue brew at all.

Getinthevan, Jul 27, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -11.8%

I know that this is going to have a low average score, but it's not that I didn't enjoy this beer; it's more that it's a really new experience for me so it just seemed like a very strange beer.

Pours a deep orange-rust color with a two-finger, mostly white, slightly orange, head that doesn't hang around for terribly long, but left a nice, thick lacing.

I didn't get a lot of smell out of this. There's a little bit of faint peppery smell, but that's about it.

So, taste... this is a very strange tasting beer. In my mouth there's not a lot going on; it doesn't taste bad, but there isn't the bold smack-in-the-face of chipotles I was expecting. However, it leaves a very distinct spicy warmness in the back of my throat that reminds me a lot of eating pepperjack cheese.

Mouthfeel is fine; not a lot to comment on.

As far as drinkability goes, this is a brew that I could probably have a couple of glasses of without issue, and might be really nice with pizza, but I imagine I'd get tired of it kind of before too long.

cjohnson, Jul 20, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

Another Rogue brew.

A - Dark copper in color like an old penny. Off white head hangs around and leaves thick lace.

S - Malty up front but the smoky/spicy smells aren't far behind.

T - Little bit of maltiness initially then BANG Smoke! Really deep smoke flavor and spiciness are new to me in beer. Not sure I'm a fan...

M - Medium bodied and carbonated.

D - Good for a starter, but not one to have a bunch of.

ectomorph, Jul 15, 2008