Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
xav33

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

Rogue Chipotle Ale
Bomber
Brewed Spring 06, buvar 09/06
Medium pour in a stein.

Poured a hazy reddish brown with a small rocky white fully diminishing head.

Smelt of roasted habaneros and light dark bread.

Taste was upfront light sweet breadiness with the bitter roasted habanero taste kicking in afterwards and a touch of almost lemony acidity for a finish that is hidden by the spicyness. Mouthfeel was light, watery, with soft carbonation and light burning peppers.

Overall, the roasted habanero taste is subdued enough for this ale to be enjoyable, but is otherwise fairly boring tastewise.

09-13-2006 05:16:36 | More by xav33
TheBeerWolf

Nevada

2.83/5  rDev -20.7%

I have to say I was a bit disappointed after reading the reviews here then actually drinking one of these. I was expecting to have something that would either be pretty vile or pretty dang tasty to me since I do like chilis and spicy food. Well I did not get either really. It pours a nice yellow with a bit of a red hue and a slightly white head that laces pretty quickly. The smell to me was a bit like fermented fruit with just a hint of smokiness in the background. The taste was what kind of let me down but not in a horrible way. It ended being so average to me, I was expecting to either be wowed or just grossed out by something that tasted too much like peppers. I don't know maybe I'm crazy but it just tasted like a very average thin ale with just a tiny hint of smokiness in the background. The immediate aftertaste is just the smokiness but after a while if you let it sit on your tongue I get a hint of burnt chili seeds. It was not too bad for me getting through the one bomber but I gave it a 2.5 on drinkability because I could definately imagine it turning off alot of people and just left me pretty unimpressed either way. Not horrible or anything but I don't think I would buy another one. I cracked open a Stone Pale Ale after drinking this one and that just tasted soooo good after drinking this stuff.

09-08-2006 13:02:32 | More by TheBeerWolf
brentk56

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper color with a frothy head that hangs around as a thick ringlet while depositing all kinds of lacing around the glass

Smell: Mellow smoked aroma wafts up from that malty base; a vague whiff of canned chipotles en adobo as well

Taste: Malty backbone is quickly subsumed by the smoked chili flavor; the heat builds on the tongue with each sip and eventually becomes the only distinctive flavor

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: This would be a fun novelty in a 12 oz. bottle; in a bomber, it is a tough beer to finish

09-04-2006 01:01:21 | More by brentk56
TrickKnee

Connecticut

3.35/5  rDev -6.2%

Well I was a little amazed that someone would actually combine hot peppers and beer but i was very happy with the outcome. Poured a deep amber color with the smell of a little pepper. Didnt taste so much like pepper but more like a smokey bbq. Almost as if you were drinking the smoke off of a grill is the only way i can compare it. Definetly worth a try once.

09-03-2006 13:45:46 | More by TrickKnee
supercolter

Wisconsin

4.28/5  rDev +19.9%

Ok so defiantly better than I expected...

Appearance is pretty bland, although with it being a spring release and it being near fall, what do you expect.
Smell and Taste were very good. At first the beer just smelled and tasted of dry malt, but as some warming occured a nice smell and taste of jalapeno broke through.
I felt like I was eating some medium wings.

08-31-2006 06:39:09 | More by supercolter
Metalmonk

2.42/5  rDev -32.2%

Overheard some guy at a recent beer festival complaining about one of the more experimental offerings: "Keep all that fruit and spices and shit outta my BEER!" I appreciate a pure approach to any craft, but for those of us who feel beer is somewhere between craft and art, his remarks seemed short-sighted. But it takes all kinds, even the people who don't want pineapple in their pizza or keyboards in their rock 'n' roll.

So it was with brave heart and palate that I reached for this strange Rogue offering several days later. Now I open it and find a light-tan head with a slight red tint to it. The color of the beer is also very red, with sparse and mellow bubbles.

The aroma is strongly of chipotle but even more strongly of the smoke they were smothered in. It's a very nice and, for a beer, very unusual smell. If I were blindfolded I probably wouldn't guess this was beer I'm smelling.

Flavor-wise, well, you gotta love smoked beer to get anything out this. As with the aroma, the smoke comes on much stronger than the actual chipotle flavor. But, chipotle being a very distinctive flavor, it's here, and the smoke/pepper combination is a hairy thing to have in the mouth in liquid form. Yikes. Had the smoke been a little less powerful, and the beer itself carried through something, ANYTHING resembling traditional ingredients, it would've helped offer more depth than it does. It has no depth, and thus strikes these tastebuds as a novelty.

Mouthfeel is fairly dry and the spicy and smoky elements linger long.

The first sip is cool. The second sip you start noticing its weaknesses. By the fifth sip I'm not sure I can make it through this bomber-size bottle. Maybe they should sell this in 6 oz. bottles. A novelty beer, a novelty bottle. Glad to have had it, and I still don't agree with the ultra-purist beer drinker referenced above...but no doubt, neither one of us are big fans of this particular experiment.

08-30-2006 21:47:45 | More by Metalmonk
hermesch

3.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Rogue Chipolte pours a delicious looking deep copper with a weak head and respectable lacing. The aroma is malt heavy and quite inviting. Malt initially dominates the taste as well, though soon is overtaken by the spicy character of the pepper. Leaves the palate smoothly, but a slight burn remains on the lips.

Overall this is an interesting drinking experience, though I cannot imagine desiring much more than one glass at a sitting, and even that one glass proved a bit challenging to finish off at the end. The pepper character strikes me as somewhat of a novelty, and I would just prefer a strong hop character every time.

08-30-2006 19:14:20 | More by hermesch
CortexBomb

2.75/5  rDev -23%

No idea about how well this bottle will have aged since it's currently nearly the start of fall and this is a spring seasonal.

Pour is blackish tinged golden. Opaque. A modest, 2 mm thick white head sits on top of the beer, and the overall apperance of the ale is rock solid. The smell seems to be mainly malty...there are some light spicy edges, but they really aren't as prominent as I was expecting them to be.

Taste starts out malty, like the nose and that seems to be all there is for a bit, but then the chipotle (hot and spicy) decideds to show up and make its presence felt. The spice isn't absolutely house burning, but it is definitely distinct and strong enough to grab your attention. Swallow is a light bit of hoppy bitters, and then gone with only a lingering hot feel from the chipotle. Not the most depthy taste in the world, but I like the hot sensation and the uniquness of it in my still limited experience with this style of beer is enough to make me like this brew.

The mouth on this is average for beer in general. It's not thick, at all, but it does have some nice sensations courtesy of the chipotle, so it still maintains average. Drinkability, a challenge. This beer is ok when you first pour it, but do not allow it to warm, or nurse it slowly because it seemed to get harder to drink as time went on. I think this would be improved vastly by either sharing the beer (a bomber is probably too much of this flavour for one person) or by pairing with a similarly aggressive food.

Overall, this might be a gimmick, but it seems to work, for about the first 1/2 of the bottle at least. Best split with someone else, or paired with very spicy food.

08-30-2006 01:05:08 | More by CortexBomb
jasonjlewis

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

I saw this next to santa's private reserve, so I hope to god that it's fresh.

smell: fruity and of chipotle peppers, almost smells rubbery.

Appearance: Decent head, not a whole lot of retention, BUT i imagine peppers would effect head retention due to acidity.

Taste: Some peppers on the palate. Somewhat spicy, but not really. Hotness comes out as the beer warms. took me a while to get used to

Mouthfeel: decent, neither thick nor thin, somewhat crisp carbonation.
Drinkability: Good with a meal. Had a little bit of a spicy burger that it went well with, but I don't think it's a session beer.

I was kind of disappointed. When I see chipotle ale, I expect a little bit more spice. This is nothing for me. If it were a salsa it would be between medium. If you like that then try it.

08-23-2006 23:45:24 | More by jasonjlewis
PSUDREW

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

I didn't know what to expect with this beer, but I am pleasently surprised

pours a wonderful copper color. some tanish foam that really doesn't last, nor does it lace. sweet nose, you can smell the peppers, in a good way

taste is a very interesting mix. matly, is the 1st thing i get. then there is the rest, and the rest is very much a nice change of pace. no real hop presence, but the peppers are there. not in a burn your mouth sense, but more of a pep, a kick, that show up when you least expect it. makes for a very intersting mix, and i recomend you try it if you can. Slighty chew mouthfeel, and surprisingly drinkable. nice brew to get!

08-20-2006 05:18:12 | More by PSUDREW
klewis

3.4/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Purs a clear copper color with clingy carbonation and a bubbly head. No lacing.

S: No chile smell, just a slight vegetal aroma

T: Somewhat malty with a chipotle flavor that is subtle at first and slightly intensifies. Overall, the chile taste is a bit subdued (a good thing I think). Not much else going on.

M: Medium to light in body with moderate carbonation. After several sips, I'm starting to feel a bit of heat on my lips from the peppers. An unusual sensation for beer drinking, but not unpleasant.

D: A pretty decent beer, but not one I'm thrilled with. Definitely an unusual experience and worth trrying, but I can't see myself drinking this on a regular basis, or even an occassional basis.

08-18-2006 21:47:35 | More by klewis
leodaddy

1.6/5  rDev -55.2%

Rogue Ales can typically do no wrong, not the best craft brew in America by any means but holds it's own with the larger mass producers.

This beer however got a split decision from me. The color and rich head never disappoints with Rogue and the feel of it in your mouth and over your tongue is fulfilling not at all a watered down brew. As for the taste, all I could taste was liquid smoke flavoring. Those of you in the restaurant business know this food additive that gives an artificial "smokey" flavor to meats or sauces. It made this beer undrinkable as a stand alone. However I see the point some other reviewers have made about drinking it with smoked meats or spicy foods. After the first sip I decided to use the rest in a marinade for some pork tenderloin and the result was quite pleasant.

So in conclusion I would suggest never setting this bottle to your lips but instead using it sparingly in cooking recipes.

JC, Grand Rapids, MI

08-16-2006 01:02:48 | More by leodaddy
YakManDoo

1.3/5  rDev -63.6%

This is the first Rogue I have ever hated. The beer poured a very average reddish-orange with a head to match - lightly colored. The nose however was very disenchanting with a smoky yet unappetizing overripe fruitiness. The taste was spicy and downright wretched like an infected batch of homebrew...sour, spicy and smoky.

I don't understand how this one left the brewery. Maybe it's the ultimate in acquired taste, but I poured half of the bomber down the sink...such a pity.

08-16-2006 00:48:37 | More by YakManDoo
Higravity

3.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Slightly amber with moderate white head that gives some lace in my pilsner glass. Smell is peppery spice with malt backing it up and even a touch of smoke(?). The taste is a very refined and contained chile flavor the plays well with the malt and remains it the dry finish of the beer. I dug this beer and it went well with my pull beef sandwich. Drinking this by itself might be much for me but I think this beer shines when paired with food or split in a day of drinking.

08-09-2006 15:12:48 | More by Higravity
SilentSabre

North Dakota

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Oh wow. I was really impressed with this one, not knowing what to expect, really. It poured a bit darker than I was thinking it would. Slightly cloudy medium bronze orange colour with a slightly off-white head that went away pretty quickly. Smell is mostly sweet malts and smoke. Taste is more of the same, with very little hot pepper presence. Only a very slight tingle, and that's kind of hit or miss. Sometimes it's present, and sometimes not. Actually, there is a slight heat that's noticeable many seconds after you swallow your sip. Quite smooth and drinkable. Very impressive, for what it is. I'd definately buy this again. Nice job, Rogue.

08-05-2006 02:58:16 | More by SilentSabre
cbl2

3.6/5  rDev +0.8%

7/21/2005 $4.69 22 oz. No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a brilliant medium brown that is crystal clear, and speckled with hints of claret, adorned by an inch of creamy white/tan head.

Aroma:

Surprisingly sweet with a strong malt aroma, and only a touch of peppery spice in the end of the nose.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Very smooth and sweet upfront, followed by a drying bitter aspect from the hops. Some heat sneaks in towards the end, but not nearly what I was expecting from one of my favorite peppers. No pepper qualities whatsoever in the flavor, which is somewhat of a letdown.

08-02-2006 14:58:59 | More by cbl2
Phatz

3.4/5  rDev -4.8%

I was nervous about this beer. I used it to cook with once before when making Sloppy Joes. It got left on the stove and heated to hot so I never got to drink it. The Sloppy Joes that day were very spicy (maybe due to other ingredients) and other review said this beer is "hot hot hot." I am not a real big fan of *really* spicy foods so I never bought a bottle.
Tonight at the Lancaster Homebrew club someone brought a bottle and I figured I could handle a 4 oz serving. It turns out the pepper flavor is apparent but not as overwhelming as I had anticipated. It may build in the following 18 ounces, but for a small serving it was interesting.

Appearance: Orangeish amber body

Smell: Not as big as I expected but there is a bit of sweet malts fruit and of coarse spicy pepper.

Taste: Very smooth mellow malt flavor with hints of bread and then the pepper starts. There are hints of smoked malts as well. Overall it is not as “chipolte” as I feared. It is more a tangy bite and a dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp medium body beer that pulls and tugs at your cheeks.

Drinkability: I probably won’t buy this beer again. It is not the kind of thing I would want to just sit down and drink. Not a chance. It is a trophy beer in my book. One of those, “Okay, now I tried that one next” kind of things. I could see it having a place in cooking or if you really like spicy foods and wanted to really go nuts with more spicy beer. Other than that I say this one is worth trying once for the experience.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

07-27-2006 06:55:09 | More by Phatz
wingman14

Pours an orangish red with an off white head that leave lacing. The smell is very smoky with some spicy notes. The taste is smoky up front (not as much as Rogue's smoked ale) with a dry finish that leaves the spice of the chipotle lingering in your mouth. This is a meduim bodied brew with a good mouthfeel and balance. The taste is not very overpowering and is easy to drink. I cannot see myself drinking more than a couple of these, I would suggest drinking these along with a nice BBQ, or the flavor could get old. A very interesting brew, done very well. This is worth checking out especially if you like Rogue's smoked ale.

07-23-2006 03:48:38 | More by wingman14
beertastegood

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a deep amber with a one-finger dense head. Decent retention. Aromas of caramelly malt, overlaid with a distinct smoky, almost sweet spicy smell. BBQ in a beer...

Taste: Wow. Punch of smoke right up front, followed by a wonderful maltiness that brings to mind Oktoberfests (looking on the bottle, I see that they do indeed use Munich malt), and then a slight heat as the spice from the peppers brings it all together in the finish. Great, dry finish that leaves a faint spice and smoke on the tongue. Hard to be more descriptive than this, as it is best described as "chipotles in a glass".

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body, medium carbonation.

Drinkability: If you like chipotles, then this is a great beer to pair with summertime BBQs. It goes down remarkable easy, and is not at all rough like other chile beers can be (Crazy Ed, I'm looking in your direction...).

Overall, an excellent beer and a testament to craft brewers' innovation.

07-15-2006 16:57:34 | More by beertastegood
dnrobert24

Alabama

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Wow, I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I picked it up out of the curiosity of possibly using chipotle in my own homebrew and wanted to see how the pros at Rogue managed. I was immediately struck by the sweet hot smokey smell of chipotle chiles. It was a carbon copy of opening a bag of actual chipotle chiles. Having heard horror stories of other chile beers, I was a little worried. I poured the beer, a burnt umber, into a pint glass with no head. Carbonation was there, just not in the form of any amount of head. In fact, it tickled my tonge with the carbonation and the lack of head did not help the mouthfeel. The real surprise came in the first sip. Absolutely a chipotle beer. I could taste smoky jalapenos, complete with spicy aftertaste. I even noted a bit of a hop presence. But the more notable offsetting flavor was a carmel sweetness in the malts. It balanced the spicy-smoky chipotle nicely. I had a hard time drinking a lot of this at once due to the spiciness--I felt like too much of it would give me heartburn. Therefore, I spaced it out over a period of grilling veggies, eating dinner, and cleaning up. It actually went fantastically with my grilled veggie sandwich. I marinated some portabellos, zuccini, and red pepper in olive oil and balsamic vinegar and grilled them. I toasted the bread and spread hummos on both sides. The result matched the chipotle ale perfectly. Meaty portabellos worked with the smoky beer. Tangy hummos offset the spiciness. The sweet red peppers picked up the sweetness in the malts. The zuccini... well fortunatly there was not a vegetable taste in the beer, so that was just extra. I probably would not buy another one of these unless matching it with food. Chipotle beer with veggies, who would have thought?

07-12-2006 17:30:25 | More by dnrobert24
loren01

Oregon

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Pours an orangish amber color with. Small head that dissipated quickly
S: Smell is smoky and slighlty malty
T: Taste is peppery, smokey. Tastes like chipolte jack cheese
M: Mild to moderate amount of carbonation
D: Interesting beer, would go very good with a good cheese.

07-06-2006 13:01:31 | More by loren01
kirok1999

4.22/5  rDev +18.2%

Appearance- Clear copper with a mild head.

Smell- Malty and spicy, almost smoky. Some piny/citrusy hops.

Taste- Malt at first then a wisp of smoke, then the slight heat. Nothing too over powering, just mild enough to balance the malts. Much better than I had expected.

Mouthfeel- Crisp and clean, full bodied and mildly carbonated.

Drinkability- Very nice, I like it much more than I thought I would. The pepper is definitely noticable yet not enough to put me off of the brew. I'll buy it again.

07-03-2006 22:34:12 | More by kirok1999
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a clear amber, a rocky and dense half inch tan head. Some thin lacing. Smells smoky and, predictably, of peppers.

Taste is a biscuity malt. You can even taste some hops. The pepper flavor is light enough to just balance with the malt. Jalepeno spice almost acts as the hops in this beer. Mouth is long and sticky. Not a bad invention.

06-28-2006 01:26:14 | More by ViveLaChouffe
taez555

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

This beer poured an amber body with a white head.

Nose was a mix of meat, caramel, smoke, chipotle peppers, smoke gouda, ham and brown sugar. Very reminiscent of a rauchbier but with an interesting twist with the chipotle smell. Even as a big smoked beer fan, the nose makes me very hesitant to continue. The chipotle smell scares.

Taste is surprisingly light with an immediate hit of that that dry burnt smoked chipotle pepper. Not really as much heat or bite as you might expect. It's surprisingly mellow and very easy drinking. Mild caramel, some toffee, very faint earth hops and a mild bitterness. A tad bit of heat comes through in the finish but for the most part stays in the background.

Sort of a novelty rauchbier, but it's honestly exactly what it claims to be. It is a Chipoltle flavored ale. Nothing more and nothing less. It might be interesting if they could offer this beer with varying heat levels like salsa (mild, medium, etc), but beyond pretty good, although I can't see myself ever buying this again except for it's novelty.

06-27-2006 23:51:30 | More by taez555
lordofthewiens

Maine

3.38/5  rDev -5.3%

This was a pretty good-looking beer, cloudy amber with a medium- sized head. Aroma was Ale-like, with some pepper spiciness. I honestly cannot tell whether it was chipotle or some other pepper. Taste was hoppy with some warming spiciness. Fairly thin mouthfeel. I think this is a beer one would try as a curiosity.

06-21-2006 17:14:09 | More by lordofthewiens