Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
churchillps

3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a dark amber with a good deal of head, albeit dissipating slowly. Smells very early -- subtle hops, and a hint of the chipotle peppers. Nothing fantastic here. The taste is interesting, but I west left wanting more. The complexity isn't what I expected from a "peppery" ale. While I can taste a touch of the chipotle peppers in the aftertaste, it was never the focus nor an integral part of the ale. What was striking is the warmth of flavor and I don't mean temperature. The mouthfeel is exhilarating as the flavor is consistent while the liquid is on the palate, finishing nicely with a hint of pepper. I liked the overall feeling and general warm tasting deliciousness, but I would have liked more chipotles in the overall taste and especially in the smell. Good brew.

03-03-2008 23:26:57 | More by churchillps
BBM

3.75/5  rDev +5%

Pours a medium amber color, clear, with a thin, foamy beige head. Aroma was a nice blend of sweet malts, earthy hops and peppery hotness. I knew I was in for a ride.

The initial flavor is nothing too wild, until the pepper aftertaste gently burns the back of your throat. Reminiscent of a rauchbier, but with a kick. It's jolting-- almost as if you're drinking a spicy V8 in your beer. But the more I drank, the more I enjoyed it. The hotness never became overbearing, and the earthy hops and sugar balanced out well enough. I'm always on the lookout for unique beers, and this one is one of the most unique I've ever had. That said, one bomber was plenty.

03-01-2008 22:46:06 | More by BBM
mattster

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Opened 22 oz bomber bottle, poured into Nonic glass.

Nice off white head forms about 3/4" above top of golden/amber brew.

Smell is of hoppy citrus, but nothing outstanding. Taste is definitely smokey chipotle with a little hoppy bitterness on the finish. It would be awesome if it were just a tad sweeter, but all in all, its a pleasant brew. Very novelty, wouldn't be a regular brew.

02-29-2008 07:33:07 | More by mattster
bort11

Missouri

2.63/5  rDev -26.3%

22 oz bottle poured into a pub glass. A tall initial head that recedes quickly. Not much lacing left. Color is a clear, dark redding brown. Minimum carbonation activity.

Smell is a little weak, though it leans towards a chocolate malt aroma. A bit of hops and pepper mingles. Taste is pretty confusing. It starts off with a smoked/chocolate malt then moves to Cascade hops and then finishes with a chile pepper after taste. Really all over the place. Mouthfeel is light bodied and a tad creamy. The carbonation stings a bit, but that may have been enhanced by the pepper.

Over all I'm not that impressed bt the style.

02-22-2008 12:15:12 | More by bort11
dsa7783

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

650 ML copped for $5.99 from Oak Tree in South Plainfield... been waiting a long time to sample this one... the chipotle essence had long piqued my interest, so I decided to give this one a try... Pours an amber, copper hue with a minimal frothy head that soon dissipated... smell was very clear, crisp, and clean with a slight spice essence that included a delicate balance of malts, hops, and caramel... the chipotle flavor was not as noticeable as I had been anticipating... a slight spice taste is subtely noticeable, but not at all overwhelming or too strong... a slight resemblance to an amber ale keeps striking my mind as I'm writing this... When I heard "chipotle", I was expecting a strong spice flavor, but I didn't find that here... instead, I found a strong amber, red, taste... I wasn't dissapointed by the flavor at all... this is a classic Rogue brew with the distinct quality flavor and taste usually associated with the brewery... I really liked this one, and if you're a fan of Rogue brews, you are sure to like this one... easily drinkable with a nice mouthfeel... Definitely recommended...

02-11-2008 00:19:06 | More by dsa7783
Aaron58

3.23/5  rDev -9.5%

Picked this one up from a new store in town, saw it advertised and had to try it.

22oz. poured a very good looking amber color with a nice head, although it didnt retain very well.

Aroma was lacking, i did pick up a slight pepper scent. When I tasted it I was blown away. Ive never had a beer like this before and at first i was a little put off by the flavor. You can really taste the chipotle flavor. The more i drank of this beer, the more i appreciated it. Overall, I probably wouldnt go out of my way for it, but its a good beer, and I would drink it again.

02-10-2008 02:56:10 | More by Aaron58
JDV

Nice rich honey amber color with a good frothy whitish head. Smells of a touch of sweetness as it warms, but mostly of hops, and a slight bit of spicy heat, yet not a smoky chipotle spice smell at all. Taste is surprisingly smooth, hoppy, faintly sweet, a decent bit bitter, and perhaps the faintest bite of spice, but it might also just be flavor from the hops. There is a touch of sweetness in the aftertaste which is nice. It does have a warming effect in the chest area after it goes down also, but its definitely not a chipotle smell or smoked taste on the palate. Subtle but still nice, and even though I was expecting a touch more hearty spicy smokiness from the chipotle, It may have made for an overly spicy, unenjoyable beer. This may be the right spice level, but I wish it had a hint of smokiness still. Overall pretty well balanced, but maybe not what you'd expect from looking at the bottle. Good but was a bit pricy at $5.50 for a 22 oz bottle. I liked this beer more and more as I drank it

01-31-2008 18:57:22 | More by JDV
AgingWarrior

3.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Rogue Brewery is one of my favorites and I picked up a big bottle of Chipotle Ale based on the their reputation. I really had no idea of what to expect with this drink.

A Pours a nice coppery red color with a nice thick two finger head and plenty of lacing.

S. Definitely smell the hops on the first whiff. You can also smell the pepper and some citrus.

T. Initial taste is mildly hoppy, nice crisp drink. The aftertaste is where you really taste the chipotle pepper.

M. Great mouthfeel. Feels solid, not too thin.

D. Hard to say... I rated it average as this is my first experience with a chile beer. I'd definitely drink this one again, but I'm not sure when I'd be in the mood for it.

01-24-2008 02:07:59 | More by AgingWarrior
MTNboy

Germany

3.15/5  rDev -11.8%

Appearance- A darker amber with a little bit of a red hue. It is a very head strong beer with about two fingers of head with some good lacing.

Smell- I smell hops and pepper right of the bat. There some definite citrus type tones that are blend with a minor floral touch.

Taste- Not as peppery as some pepper type beers I have had but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I don’t know how to really describe it but some of the other pepper beers I have tasted have had a fake overly spiced taste to them, where this ale does not. It has almost an IPA taste to it.

Mouthfeel- As I made my way through the froth it was some what creamy but as drank it became more a medium bodied beer.

Drinkability- I felt that it was decent beer but not one I would go for all the time but is a good change of pace.

01-14-2008 12:58:46 | More by MTNboy
kosmoraios

Washington

4.2/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22-ounce bomber about 1 year old. (Bottle dated 01/07)

Pours a crisp, clear red-copper color into my pint glass with a nice white head, 1.5 fingers high. Head never quite goes away, and laces the glass well. Carbonation bubbles are visible rising in the glass.

Aroma is of mild apricot and black pepper. Hint of sweet citrus. Tangy, hoppy nose.

Taste is quite excellent, with hoppy apricot and peach along with a mild toasted toffee malt. The pepperyness takes just a minute to register on the tongue, but makes you want another sip as soon as it does. Smooth and peppery in the mouth.

A very nice, refreshing, sessionable ale from Rogue.

01-14-2008 00:06:58 | More by kosmoraios
RblWthACoz

3.78/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a cloudy amber - kind of reminds me of a Belgian brew. Nose is muted, but with a touch of a sweet edge. Flavor is actually pretty damn good. Starts off with an almost overly sweet tone which slowly morphs into something smoky and clean. The smoked peppers actually keep in your mouth. Over time as it warms up the smokey flavors REALLY come out. Feel is a bit thin, and it is drinkable (though a 22 oz bomber might be a bit too much for one person in one sitting), even though this is a chile beer.

12-30-2007 05:43:09 | More by RblWthACoz
Brad007

Vermont

4.63/5  rDev +29.7%

I've had this beer in the past and enjoyed it, though I never reviewed it.

Pours a reddish/pale color with a thick head that leaves decent lacing. Aroma is strong and malty with the hint of chipotle on the nose. Reminiscent of a scottish ale of sorts. Chipotle itself adds a spiciness to the aroma of this beer.

Taste is strong and malty upfront with a chewiness and burn provided by the chipotle. Leaves a decent spiciness at the back of the tongue that goes down with a mild burn. A second sip confirms the same thing except that the chipotle dominates the palate here and nearly overwhelms the malt.

This is the type of beer that isn't for everyone. I personally enjoy it as I really like spicy foods. This beer would definitely go well with a burger or something more. I feel it's well done for the style as well.

12-30-2007 03:36:56 | More by Brad007
hiikeeba

2.8/5  rDev -21.6%

A - pours up hazy light brown with a thick head with big bubbles that dissipates slowly

S - Smells of fruit, some citrus hop aroma

T - Sweet malt with a hint of raisin flavor. No chipotle flavor. Some heat in the back of my throat a minute or two after swallowing. It slowly--slowly-- spread around my mouth.

M - Nothing to write home about. It's not thin and it's not thick.

D - The heat is a nice tingle, but I expected more smoke. Too raisiny for my taste.

12-29-2007 23:03:59 | More by hiikeeba
montageman

3.15/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

I was given this bottle as a gift a while back. In the interim, I was able to sample this on draught at Slows BBQ in Detroit (for only $2!). On draught, I thought this was a nice, smoky beer with a bit of heat that complimented the BBQ well. Maybe I waited too long to crack this bottle open, but I'm not getting much of the heat component here. Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad thing, but what I'm tasting now is sweet and smoky rather than smoky and hot. The appearance of this beer is where it shines with its nice cloudy deep brown color and quickly dissipating head. The aroma is smoky, but could be more intense (again, could be a function of my waiting to open the bottle). Regardless, this is an interesting brew that is worth seeking out. It would work great in a chili recipe. Recommended.

12-22-2007 21:07:39 | More by montageman
boogles

Kansas

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Bomber poured into my favorite bomber-sized glass.

A nice head formed, which took a while to settle, eventually with no lace. Initially very murky, yet no visible yeast deposits; a beautiful red color, but it never cleared up. I like murky beers, but not consistently murky beers and not when it's unexplainable.

The nose was interesting--I expected more chipotle, but that was subtle and balanced by some expected and some unexpected hints, including a faint medicinal scent and some magic marker--but not much. Oddly, the nose, for me anyway, was mixed to the point that it was hard to pick out particular scents. It smelled like ale, but mysteriously, and I liked that. Like all Rogue flavored beers, a general synthetic nose was present, but less so than in other offerings (which I have not liked).

The taste was strange--because it was not that strange. I'm not sure how this beer could get bad reviews. It's not that great, but it's not over-the-top, like the chicory Dogfish Head, IMO one of the worst beers I've ever had. In fact, I like this better than the other Rogue flavored beers, including those which are lauded by BA reviewers. If anything, I would have liked more heat promised by the title, and I think it would have been better with more hops.

The mouthfeel was poor--the carbonation is too much like soda. That, to me, interferes with its drinkability as well.

Unlike most novelty beers, I'm glad I tried this one. If it were cheaper, I'd try it again, but there are so many outstanding bombers available for just $1 more in Columbus (this was $4), like Hop Rod Rye, the Avery barleywine ... yeah, especially those two. I'm glad a Rogue flavor bomber finally came through for me.

12-19-2007 04:20:26 | More by boogles
sever

Arizona

1.58/5  rDev -55.7%

I saw this bottle and I thought " Oh man that must be awful!", but since I shop for beer at a discount store, it would be stupid not to try it when a 22oz bottle is only $2.29. Right?

No. Not right. Becuase this beer is gross. I thought about it, but It seems like no matter what mood your in, or what you're eating, this beer would always be weird. And gross. I really tried to like it. I poured it in a glass. If you're not paying attention the front end you get is okay. But then that aftertaste kicks in, and just keeps on trucking.

It really feels like a good beer under all of it. The ingredients they list on the label are high end, and I feel like if this beer wasn't trying so hard to be different it would be good. It's sort of full-bodied, and it has this cool toastiness like some of the best red ales have. It smells good, courtesy of the hops. On the first tip, I really appreciated the body and spice of the beer. It's winter, I'm cold. It had a fall warming ale sort of thing going. But after that first wash over your tounge it begins to go downhill. The hops and body and flavor drain away. At the last tail end of the aftertaste, after all the fresh beer flavor is gone, you're left with only weird smoky flavor. No fresh hoppy goodness for it to float around in. It's strange. I like chipotle flavor and eat lots of food with it, and I like lots of really weird unconventional beers( Bongwater, Scuttlebutt, Tutti Frutti, tons.) So this beer should be a shoe-in, but nope.
This beer is unique and you might even enjoy it if it caught you in the right mood, but you'll never drink much of it.

You might end up doing what I did: pour half down the drain. Seriously. After 1 glass I couldn't stand it. If you're smart: You'll avoid opening it in the first place. Look here, and see that some people even like this stuff and are willing to trade for it. Go figure.
Different strokes for different folks eh? Apparently some people like smoky, weird beer that doesn't make any sense.
I wished I'd traded mine. for anything. whoops!

The bottom line:
The only reason you should drink this is if you hate beer and you only want the alcohol.

12-13-2007 07:24:52 | More by sever
williamherbert

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

From a 22oz.

Three fingers of head. Hazy light orange. Depth changes with change in lighting. Looks thick and hazy. Only wispy specks of lace remain.

Has a smoky aroma, smoky malt. Smell is actually not that strong, considering. It's pleasant and interesting but weak.

Serious smoky BBQ flavor with a spicy jalapeño pepper taste. Aftertaste is a spicy, smoky bite. Has a seriously pungent flavor, sits on the back of the tongue like BBQ. Almost burns the palate.

Feel is thick and chunky. Sandpapery. Leaves a smoky film. In fact, the overall word is "smoky." It's sweet but pungent. Really interesting.

12-06-2007 06:00:52 | More by williamherbert
slvrmon82

Delaware

3.5/5  rDev -2%

i am a chef at a dogfish and i was blown away by this beer

A - Orangish color with off white head. Head dissipated very quickly. Very nice presentation.

S - Hoppy with a light smoked flavoring

T - I really .like the subtle chipotle taste. Especially with a spicy beer.

M - Thick but not too thick. Very nice.

D - Not so much. Not a session beer by any means.

12-04-2007 03:48:59 | More by slvrmon82
Overlord

1.45/5  rDev -59.4%

I had this beer quite a while ago, and forgot to review it. However, I can assure you that the experience remains fresh in my mind.

Pours a light orangeish hue with an off white head that dissipated somewhat quickly. Good robust mouthfeel (the best part of the beer).

Smells of smokiness and wheat/grass. The smell put me off almost immediately. The taste is ... not good. I wasn't expecting a chipotle flavored beer to taste like it was mixed with liquid pipe tobacco. There's really no malt here, and no real hops either. Just smokiness, wheat/grass, spiciness (it is bold and up front), and more smokiness.

In the last six months, I haven't finished a beer I sampled to review on maybe three occasions. The Sam Adams Triple Bock (twice -- just to make sure the first bottle didn't go bad), and now this.

Ugh.

11-30-2007 01:09:01 | More by Overlord
altgeeky1

New Hampshire

3.23/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours amber (darker amber, with a copperish hue), producing a generous but short lived head. Head settles quickly to a thin lace across the glass.

Smells light on the malt, ot a lot of hops aroma, with a hint of chili pepper.

Tastes like a pale ale. Light, not too malty. Finishes to a hoppy and peppery glow. The pepper is not overpronounced, but you do feel it in the aftertaste and in your belly.

Mouthfeel is OK. It's mostly balanced leaning towards the spicier side. Carbonation seemed sharper for an American pale ale; a little less CO2 might bring out the malt more. Letting this beer breathe for a bit did help on that aspect.

Overall this is pretty low on the session beer factor. It is not bad - in fact it's interesting how the chili compliments the pepper. Unfortunately two servings of pepper will put your innards on alert more than two servings of hops. This is a pretty good beer and goes well with pizza, but I'll follow it up with something else.

I tried to file a BeerSpy report; unfortunately once you pick New Hampshire you have 14 stores to chose from and there is no 'Other/Not listed'. Purchased from Wine Society in north Nashua, NH which has a small handpicked selection of beers (and no dust).

11-25-2007 01:53:06 | More by altgeeky1
number1bum

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

It's taco night, so it seemed an appropriate time to try this.

Pours an amber color with good clarity, some bubbles slowly rising to the top and about two fingers of fluffy light beige head. Looks a lot like a pale ale if you didn't know better, and the retention is pretty good with a nice lace and some stick.

Smells a bit like a pale ale too, with some fruity hops and some malt sweetness. There's a spicy note to it but it's not that strong or out of the ordinary.

There's a bit more peppery flavor and heat in the flavor than the smell. Pale malt sweetness and some fruity hops are met by a bit of spicy heat and a smoky flavor midway through and into the finish. It's mild enough to not be bothersome, but rather adds a pleasant and unique flavor. Heat picks up a bit as it warms.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, appropriately carbonated. This is definitely a bit of a novelty beer and not something I'd have very often, but I'd have it again if the mood struck me right.

11-19-2007 23:58:02 | More by number1bum
wheelinshirt

4.22/5  rDev +18.2%

Wow! First chile beer. Very delicious.

Ruddy brown color with some off white, creamy head that lasted for a while but left little lacing. Didn't really know what to expect from this style, though.

Smell is mostly sweet malt with some smokiness from the chipotle (smoke-dried jalapenos). Taste is malty up front, kind of sweet with a very unique sweet malt taste. The only action I am getting from the chiles is smoke right now.

Now i start to get the chile parts of the beer--a little burning in the back of the throat from the jalapenos, very balanced though--amazingly drinkable. Very good overall. I don't know how old this is or how age has affected it, but very good and very subtle with the chile--expertly done.

11-16-2007 04:40:39 | More by wheelinshirt
cabsandking

3.33/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber color with a crusty, rocky, off-white head that lasts a while and clings to the sides. Not much aroma, faint caramel and slightly fruity malt notes, and just hint of some bitter hop esters. Dry grains and dry bitter hops up front and earthy, woody notes in the back. Chipotle heat is perceived in the back of the throat and esophagus, and minimally on the palate. I don’t know how they achieved this but its nice that the chipotle heat doesn’t wreck the palate. Midway through a slight sweetness develops along with some organic soily smoky notes. The finish is pretty much clean at first but then chipotle flavor arrives way late. Light to medium body and mouthfeel is about average, could have done with something thinner. Chipotle flavor becomes more noticeable as it warms but still much lighter than I remember it the previous couple of times I’ve had this beer.

11-02-2007 16:04:55 | More by cabsandking
travpard

2.3/5  rDev -35.6%

A- Nice Amber color

S- I did not notice any chipotle smell after pouring although it had did have a pleasant aroma.

T- I agree that the taste is similar to a mild amber ale upfront. Definately felt some heat in the finish, which was nice and not too overpowering.

M- good mouthfeel

D- I am glad I tried it, but I don't think I will buy it again. I like spicy foods, but not a big fan of spicy beers.

10-26-2007 14:19:29 | More by travpard
hustlesworth

4.13/5  rDev +15.7%

A- 1in white creamy head sits on a slightly hazy orange-copper-amber brew with rising bubbles. decent foam retention, becoming a thing ring leaving moderate amounts of lace.

S- mild chipotle smoked jalapeno and adobo BBQ sauce. smells like the real thing. malty and sweet with slight citrus and bread aromas. maybe a lil bit of lime, the chipotle really takes over the whole thing. but in a good way.

T- pleasantly smoky, the smoked jalapenos really stand out over all other flavors along with the wood smoke and the special adobo sauce. flavor is still quite mild, and the chipotle isn't too hot, i believe alcohol is a solvent for capsaicin (the chemical that makes peppers hot) so it's no surprise this beer's not on fire. aside from pepper, faint charcoal and dark wood envelop a toasty malt and herbal hop finish. very well balanced.

MF- crisp, slick, with medium carbonation, goes down super smooth

D- this is a great tasty treat, but would be difficult to drink iin session, the chipotle taste might get annoying after a while.

10-19-2007 16:04:55 | More by hustlesworth