Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

4.64/5  rDev +30.3%

Poured from a bomber with little head to speak of and a deep copper color.

S: Very faint smell at first maybe hops or citrus then the pepper kicks in.

T: Light taste of chipolte pepper with a light oily hop taste to it. After the first sip you can feel the heat from the pepper creep from the throat back into the mouth.

M: Oily and very smooth the heat remains after the first sip, which is nice.

D: I will probably have it next time with some spicy food. Very nice beer if you are in the mood for something a little spicy. Definatly worth a try.

4.17/5  rDev +17.1%

This has a nice dark copper color with an off-white head. The smell is very nice, sweet with a bit of chocolate. The taste is very good. It is sweet, spicy and smokey. Almost like a Scottish Ale. The finish is dry and bitter, but not a typical hop bitterness. The smoke flavor is noticeable but not overbearing. My mouth kind of feels like I was drinking a good beer and smoking a good cigar. Mouthfeel is nice and full, very smooth. And the drinkability is good.

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

3.82/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is brownish orange with not much more than a lacing of head. The nose has nice smokiness and some spicy zip; you can really smell the chipotle. The taste mimics the nose in that smokiness comes in first followed by a nice spicy kick. The mouthfeel is slightly viscous and it has a dry finish. I paired the beer with a steak burrito and it paired nicely, the smokiness of the beer and the slight spice complemented the burrito.

3.26/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a pale copper color, almost transparent, but not quite. Small tan head that fades to just a thin layer with a bit of lacing. Smells like beer, with something strange in it, the chipotle, but it doesn't smell like a peppers at all.

Its smoky and smooth, and very clean tasting. I really cant describe more than that, this is truly a strange brew, don't know if I'll ever buy it again, but its pairing well with my spicy chicken sandwich.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours dark orange color, medium sized head with some lacing left behind.
Strong roasted malt aroma, hint of hops maybe some pepper but I might be looking for it.
The flavor is of a really good hearty ale. Hint of caramel sweetness, lots of roasty malt, an occasional touch of smoke, a swirl of hops and then finishing with a little chili bite. The chili flavor builds the more I drink, but never to more than a pleasant afterthought.
Rather enjoyed this one, think it would be a good compliment to certain foods.

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

22oz bottle served in the typical "default other beer glass" at the House of Brews in NYC. Split with Flannery.

We sampled this with an order of poppers, as it seemed to make sense.

Beer poured a slightly cloudy dark/deep amber with ruby highlights and aroma was a spicy/smokey kick.

Taste - big sips had big kicks, really interesting beer to drink. Not a big-hop beer, but there were hops that added to some of the lasting heat.

Definitely a must try with food, I don't know when else I would drink this beer. I wouldn't drink more than a bomber of this, but I love spicy food - so this is a great beer and brings interesting stories.

I will have this again, Cheers!

3.34/5  rDev -6.2%

To be honest this is one of the first chile beers I've actually sat down to drink and give a good review to. I understand what makes a chile-styled brew good and what makes one bad, and I have to say I was *decently* impressed by this release but not blown away.

Appearance: The appearance lacks much head but what it does have in head it comes with a good quantity of. Solidly packed white foam packs about a quarter inch above my solid clear mug, while the color itself of the brew is very, *very* standard amber in nature. Not as much carbonation as you'd expect from a chile-styled brew but it's possibly the darker color of the amber that's throwing me off a bit. Decent appearance.

Smell: Least good of this beers aspects. I'm not quite sure why either. It seems like it should have a stronger spice scent to it, or at least something that gives it more presence in the nostrils. Decent 2 and a half.

Taste: Eh, it's pretty good. There is nothing special about it really. It hits you as a chile beer would and immediately enters your flood gates with an intense feeling of herbs and spices. It does taste chipotle - I guess - but I can't say this is the kind of chipotle I'd expect from some other top notch chipotle styled alcohols. Not bad... no copper after-taste to speak of (something I'm very big on if you've seen any other my reviews) but nothing to wow me. A Solid 3 or maybe a bit more.

Mouthfeel: This is where I actually think the beer shines. I have looked at no other reviews before reviewing this so I have no idea if people agree with me. It has a great sense of creaminess to it while throwing the spices into your life instantly. It feels good going down and the drinkability is high. A+ on this one.

Overall: Not my favorite Rogue in any way, but it's alright. I've had better spice-heavy beers and even a couple of other chipotle-themed ones. At the price tag this comes with, I wouldn't recommend it, but I wouldn't call it a bad beer either. I'm sure my review will be lower than the average since there are tons of Rogue fanatics out there, but I just wasn't feeling it too much this time.

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

A- Poured from a bomber into a tulip. Clear amber color with a short foamy head without much retention.

S- The malt comes through as well as the smoke from the chipotle. Hops are in the background.

T- I bought this to pair with a smoked chicken chipotle burrito and it was excellent. The chipotle spice, heat and smoke matched the burrito perfectly. Finishing the bottle was like an extension of the meal.

M- Appropriate for style. On the light side but this let's the heat come through without dominating.

O- Outstanding! I can't attest to this as a stand alone beer but this is a perfect pairing with chipotle based cuisine.

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%

I happen to love this beer. I had it about 6 year ago in LA but now that it is on the East Coast, I had to revisit it.

Looks great. A nice amber color with ample, slightly off-white head. Good lacing.

Smell is hoppy, spicy and grassy. There is a nice bit of smokiness as well. Not as much peppery aroma as I expected but very pleasing.

Taste is great. Malty smokiness up front with a nice hop balance. Finishes nicely with a peppery bite. Very satisfying. This would go particulary well with spicy food or a hot summer day.

Mouthfeel is also very nice. It is well balanced. A good bit of syrupy sweetness balanced with a prickly hop/pepper bit on the tongue.

Very drinkable. I liken it to a rauchbier as well. Very similar in taste, aroma and mouthfeel. It's easier to drink too. I will go back for more.

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is second chipotle beer I have tasted. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the first one.

I thought this one tasted not too smoky as I initially feared. As you first rink it, the smokiness isn't as apparent until after you gulped the first couple of sips. The beer's pretty easy on your palate, so it does help with the drinkability.

The mouthfeel of this beer, I thought, was slightly flat. It didn't feel as rich as I'd like out of a beer.

Drinkability really depends on whether you liked the smokiness in your beer or not. I thought I did as I love chipotle flavor, but for some reasons, I was not much of fan.

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

3.52/5  rDev -1.1%

A - Pours a slightly cloudy dark amber / brown color with a short lived bubbly head that does leave some lacing on the glass.

S - Malt dominates: dark fruit and caramel. Earthy hops.

T - Sweet and tangy. Flavor follows the aroma profile. The chipotle seems to add minimal flavor, but it leaves a nice warm sensation in the throat well after the swallow.

M - Moderate body, tangy bite on the tongue, but finishes smooth.

D - Drinkable. I would not drink a bunch, but for something novel occasionally it is good.

Overall - About what I expected as the beer matches what is advertised on the label well.

2.06/5  rDev -42.1%

Whew! This is the first beer I've ever sent back! And the first Rogue that I have not only not enjoyed but rather detested!

Had this on tap at the brewery. Looked very nice, deep molases-amber. Not a lot of aroma to speak of. Too bad, as it may have portended some of the terrible fury that lay within.

As the beer hit my tounge, I was reminded of a Scottish that I had brewed that had become infected. Nothing but band-aid lickin' all the way (oh, an a smoked band-aid, if that helps).

I told the 'tender about the problem and that they might want to check this out. He poured a sample and told me that, no, this is just what it is supposed to taste like. Hmmm....

At least he let me get something else.

4.75/5  rDev +33.4%