Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
3.42/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured a clear copper orange into my Guiness pint glass. A thin one-finger off-white head quickly dissipated and left little lacing on the inside of the glass throughout the drink. Aroma is a lot of malt with the chipotle spiciness detectable. Mouthfeel is bland, medium-bodied and medium carbonation. Taste is malty, with a bit of smokiness from the chipotle in the middle, then a twinge of hoppy bitterness and finishes with an odd smoky spiciness. This beer has to be pretty warm to get the full effect of the active ingredient. Overall this is an ok beer. I think drinkability is moderate. For the style, I'm sure this is pretty good, but as a stand-alone brew I am not a huge fan.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

2.91/5  rDev -18.3%

The beer pours a nice red color, no real head to speak of. Not bad. The nose is disappointing. Some malt aroma, no hops, no pepper smell. I expected more, from Rogue and from the billing on the bottle.

The taste is SMOKEY. They call it subtle, but it ain't. No spice really, just smoke. Not what I was expecting. I wanted to get some pepper out of it, but it just wasn't really there. Felt good in the mouth, slight burn that was reminicent of pepper.

I dont think I will have another one of these. I admit I am not always a fan of smoke beers, but I love my peppers. I was disappointed.

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

served in pint glass.

Look (3.5/5) pours a lighter orange color. It's cloudy which sets off the color nicely. Off-white head raises with a nice cascade and get up to about three fingers. It falls (a bit fast) to a cap, which really lasts. Nice lacing on the fall.

Smell (3.5/5) the smell is a lot like a Helles or a Maibock (light melanoidins) with more smokiness. There's a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg. The smokiness plays well with the fruitiness from the malt.

Flavor (4/5) - the flavor is really smooth and well balanced. The flavor begins with a pretty standard vienna malt flavor which isn't all that interesting. This is, however, followed by a great hit of the chipotle. It is nicely smokey (almost like a rauchbier) with a decent helping of spice. Some decent hop bitterness dries out the finish and plays well with the drawn out heat and smokiness.

Feel (4/5) Medium-light body with some medium carbonation. I like the way the heat lasts and the way that the bubbles really set that off.

Drink (4/5) A great brew. Very drinkable for spicier beer.

3.57/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber to nonic pint glass.

A: Amber in color, thin head, slight lacing.

S: Jalapeno, Honey, some Hops.

T: Slight hop bitterness, good warm chipotle finish that lingers for a bit.

M: Light carbonation.

O: Decent pepper beer, certainly drinkable. not overly spicy.

3.91/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a dark amber with a good deal of head, albeit dissipating slowly. Smells very early -- subtle hops, and a hint of the chipotle peppers. Nothing fantastic here. The taste is interesting, but I west left wanting more. The complexity isn't what I expected from a "peppery" ale. While I can taste a touch of the chipotle peppers in the aftertaste, it was never the focus nor an integral part of the ale. What was striking is the warmth of flavor and I don't mean temperature. The mouthfeel is exhilarating as the flavor is consistent while the liquid is on the palate, finishing nicely with a hint of pepper. I liked the overall feeling and general warm tasting deliciousness, but I would have liked more chipotles in the overall taste and especially in the smell. Good brew.

3.82/5  rDev +7.3%

This thing tastes like biting into a hickory twig! In a good way.I has a very obvious smoke flavor that's kind of shocking at first, but after a few seconds I started to realize how good it was. Smooth and delicious, and it tastes like smoke. This beer would be absolutely perfect with a steak, or sitting around the campfire. I really like this and will buy again. Price was a little steep though. It tastes like beer and chipotle should but it's missing the spice, it shows up just as I'm finishing the bottle, and I don't even drink fast. You've got to take into acount that alcohol numbs your taste buds to capsacian, and that I like Thai food. I hadn't tasted any spice throughout the whole bottle and even forgot there was supposed to be any, and when it showed up I was like "oh, right!"

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

2.8/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This one poured a dark amber with hints of red throughout. A very light brown, somewhat tan head formed that held on for a bit, then fell to a film leaving some lacing. The smell was of some smoke, lightly roasted malts, chili peppers and some hops. The taste was sweetish and malty at the front, with some hops at the finish and only a faint showing of smoked peppers, very disappointing. The mouthfeel was fairly smooth and medium bodied, nothing to write home about. I would have to say that 22oz. was a bit too much of this. I was hoping for a smoke filled, fire breathing trip through Hell, but I did't get it. Oh well, better luck next time.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

3.59/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a beautiful clear red with about one generous finger of head dissapating rapidly to leave a fine lace across the surface of the ale,barely clinging to the sides of my tulip.

Quickly a pungent mesquite malt aroma yeilds to smoked chilis, reminicent of pepper-jack cheese.

Green vegetal, artichoke taste into smoked red-pepper with a grassy, slightly floral finish.

Somewhat thin bodied with a punch of chili-heat that is effectively accentuated by mild carbonation.

An interesting offering from the "Brewers on the Bay". This ale would pair well with Latin or Cajun seafood dishes. Definitely drinkable, I wish there were a few more ounces in my glass.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales