Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
HappyBivouac

Iowa

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

a- nice clear amber color with lots of tiny bubbles. a small receding white head. minimal lacing.

s- appley hops, some caramel malt, fresh fruit & very slight alcohol.

t- upfront fruity hops balanced with malt & a noticeable accent of chili pepper. finish is all bread dough & sweetness. very well-balanced but ends up a bit bland & lifeless after a while.

m- crisp, medium body, ample carbonation. quite smooth, & seems like they got this exactly where they wanted it.

I can imagine this pairing nicely with a lot of American & Mexican cuisine. I would maybe like a little more hop presence & a little less malt in a beer like this, as the malts just end up stale and boring to me. Still, an easy drinking good beer to pair with meals in the summer.

02-19-2009 01:33:45 | More by HappyBivouac
shanem

Vermont

2.35/5  rDev -34.2%

A: copper with pretty good sized head

S: a little smokey and spicy with a bit of hop aroma

T: didn't work for me. I was really curious about this when I saw it but felt the smokey chipotle pepper was a little too overpowering to have a 22 on your own

M: average for an almost reddish ale

D:just too much heat. I love good spicy food and hoped this would be a great combination but it just seemed a little too one dimensional to me

I would say it's an interesting beer to try, but best to have a few friends around to taste with you as I couldn't do a whole 22 by myself

03-11-2009 04:37:58 | More by shanem
noel2977

06-24-2012 00:30:27 | More by noel2977
seh410

3.13/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance: Fizzy off white/ivory head - it's super bubbly; the head looks like it is composed of rows of bubbles on top of each other. The actual beer is a amber cloudy color that reflects the light. It's pretty standard looking, minus the great head that lingers if you give it a hard enough pour

Aroma: Smells like an amber ale, lots of malt up front. There is some spice and sweetness in the background, along with some sourness. I smell pickled watermelon, chipotle ice cream and some smokiness. Smells yummy.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Wow, there is some spice. After you swallow, there is a definite burning in the throat that is very interesting. I've never experienced this in beer. It's a slow burn that becomes more evident over time. There is also some sweetness - hints of roasted bell peppers maybe? The spice definitely dominates though and the mouth feel is very thin. This is good but weird.

Notes: I was expecting more. This is super spicy, so much so that it is making my acid reflux act up. I would like it more if the spiciness could be minimized a bit, but I guess that's why it is called Chipotle Ale. Split a bomber and not looking for any more. Ever actually. This was nice thing to sample, but I'm not gonna go back for more.

06-15-2010 22:26:55 | More by seh410

IBU – 35
DATE – 12 NOV 2011
SERVING TYPE – 12 OZ bottle
GLASSWARE – Tumbler
APPEARANCE – Reddish orange with a foamy head lingering at ¼ inch and a good flow of bubbles
AROMA- Sweet with a hint of cayenne
TASTE – Chipolata right off the bat but not spicy at all, just a nice roasted pepper taste, Refreshing believe it or not. As the beer warmed up are of the roasted pepper came out, but still never spicy
MOUTHFEEL – very smooth and a bit creamy.
CONCLUSION – I like it, weird flavor but it works. I would not drink it every day, but it is very enjoyable
-JH-

11-12-2011 23:40:36 | More by Heischman
ditch

4.45/5  rDev +24.6%

I picked this up because I flat out love chipotle peppers. I only had one other beer with peppers before and it was a porter. Anyhoo...

Poured a nice cloudy copper with a nice thick bone white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass about halfway through. Lacing is thin but slightly sticky. Overall a good looking ale.

The aroma is malty and smokey. After the first sip the smokey aroma leaves the nose and brings out the malts. Slightly sweet, a little woody.

This is an example of a beer that lives up to it's expectations. There is a quick malty sweetness in the front and then... did I eat a chipotle pepper? haha no! this has the perfect taste of chipotle peppers. The smoke comes through as if you had just ate something cooked with the peppers. The heat is in the background, but not over powering.

The mouthfeel is light and the carbonation is spot on. Again the spice is here with heat in the back of your throat, but not overwhelming.

Drinkability is good, but after drinking an entire bomber, I am not craving more. This beer has served it's purpose and I'm ready to move on. You'd have to be a big pepper fan to drink this one all night.

Well with all that being said, I'm glad I picked this one up. And, also glad I have another one in the fridge. I almost feel like attempting this as a homebrew to give as gifts. Thanks Rogue! Well played!

04-26-2010 18:09:06 | More by ditch

British Columbia (Canada)

07-04-2014 05:54:28 | More by Larz_73
icemonkey908

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%

The Appearance is orange and red, a little bit hazy. Smells of sweet roasted peppers and the taste is similar. Very interesting flavor. Spicy and sweet with roasted flavors which become more intense as the beer is consumed. Bold beer, not an everyday drinking beer but should be a treat on occasions.

05-14-2007 23:15:22 | More by icemonkey908
cshull

1.75/5  rDev -51%

05-30-2012 23:45:12 | More by cshull
BeerEngineer

3.51/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

General - This beer was from a bottle that poured this into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance - Great color to the beer, a nice clean amber color. Head was a great off white that diminished fairly slowly. Great lacing on the beer though. The color of the beer honestly reminds me a of a pepper for some reason!

Smell - A smoky scent to the beer with a slight (very mild) burn from the peppers. Really like it, different for sure, but very nice. I can smell a slight backbone of malt with a touch of hops although they aren't floral or fruity. Just a slight bitterness.

Taste - Very understated chipotle taste, really enjoyable. There is a slight burn at the back of the throat after drinking it but nothing that would be "overkill". A definite bitterness to this beer also, you can taste the hops in it more than I expected that you would be able to. The malted flavor stands up to the chipotle very well. There is a good smokey flavor with the beer also, not as severe or noticeable as a true smoked beer but there is a certain hint to it. Very nice.

Mouthfeel - A little on the thin side for a true amber ale, I would say light to medium light. Pretty highly carbonated also.

Overall - Something different that's not TOO different. If you were to drink this without knowing what it was you would know that it was with some sort of pepper but it's not too pronounced. Not something to have every day or in large quantities but for a random beer every once in a while it's good.

04-26-2013 03:47:27 | More by BeerEngineer
ScarletLady

Maryland

2.9/5  rDev -18.8%

Nice head that didn't hang around leaving ok lacing. A smokey nose. A HUGE smokey flavor with the slight bite coming through at the end. I expected a heavier mouthfeel and I thought it was a little on the thin side. Overall a really interesting beer and I recommend that you try it. I couldn't finish what I had been given - I found the taste too overwhelming to drink a pint of it but i liked it. I am thinking of using it in recipes, maybe in my Beer Cheese soup, or maybe in place of a stout in gravy.

05-25-2006 14:55:00 | More by ScarletLady
crazybrody06

Indiana

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

Pours a reddish brown color with a big head that faded to a ring in about 5 minutes, nice lacing.

Smell is very hoppy, maybe some pepper smell way down in there, but if I wasnt looking for it I would get it.

Taste again very hoppy, had to search for the pepper but after a while my lips and mouth had a bit of a burn to them.

Mouthfeel was full with medium carbonation.
Drinkability was high, although I couldnt really see paying for it.

10-01-2007 01:30:10 | More by crazybrody06
MufflnMan

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at The Thirsty Monk. Poured a copper color with an off white head. Nose is very peppery with some malt and promises the chipotle that is expected. Small amount of malt in the taste with a well balanced chipotle flavor... not too much, not too little. If you like what's promised by this beer, it delivers nicely. Still, not the most interesting of brews.

04-05-2011 04:54:34 | More by MufflnMan
osupuck19

2.5/5  rDev -30%

06-02-2013 20:04:48 | More by osupuck19
ledemie

4.38/5  rDev +22.7%

A - the beer light brown, with nice head.

S - Smells of some citrus along with hop aroma, cannot really smell the Chipotle.

T - Sweet malt with a hint of raisin flavor, not too sweet not to astringent.

M - I do not taste the Chipotle, I love spicy, and it might be spicy for someone else, but I do not see it. the mouth feel is nice

D - drinks nice, a good beer, not really a spiced beer for my taste.

04-22-2008 16:16:22 | More by ledemie
Goldopelgt

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

A- Pours a golden honey color with a thick cream colored head...decent retention and some nice lacing...

S- Some bready malts, but smokiness and what I can only describe as chipotle peppers in adobo sauce seem to dominate...

T- As it smells, yet maltiness is even more subdued in comparison to the chipotle and smoke...just a hint of spice, but this is by no means a 'spicy' beer...flavors definitely linger on the palate

M- Light bodied, but a little thin...decent carbonation

D- An interesting brew to say the least...for the style, definitely one of the better ones I've had, yet it seems to be missing something (maybe more heat, maybe heavier mouthfeel...just something more) Nonetheless, this is a unique brew that is worth a shot

01-06-2010 04:04:31 | More by Goldopelgt

Nebraska

04-18-2014 03:44:15 | More by ManEdward1979
AlesRTasty

2.63/5  rDev -26.3%

This beer pours amber with orange highlights and little head, no lacing. Smells quite smokey and roasted with a taste of well roasted peppers. To be honest I don't really like this. It is an odd flavor to me and I'm from Texas. It's not disgusting. I could still finish it, I just won't spend more money on another.

01-19-2007 02:05:24 | More by AlesRTasty