Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros

4.12/5  rDev +15.7%

A- Amber red, 2 finger foam

S- Strong smell of smoke, jalapeño and of caramel and malts.

T- The taste begins with a strong smoke taste followed by a hint of hops, the lead into a very mild jalapeño taste also strong crushed peppercorn taste. Follows out with a cream malt finish.

M- Very light and refreshing, not what I was expecting at all.

D- The first taste through me off, I was not expecting a refreshing taste and was hoping for something more spicy. Although this was mild, by the time I finished this bomber my tongue had just a bit of burning. Over all I hope to buy this beer again soon.

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

4.24/5  rDev +19.1%

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%

Interesting indeed.

Pours a clear red-brown, with a big frothy off-white head. Nice looking beer.

Smells surprisingly malty. There's a definite spiciness, but it's subdued -- I don't know if I would have identified it as chipotle in a blind tasting.

The taste brings yet another surprise -- rather than the somewhat sweet malty beer I expected from the aroma, I got a smoky treat. There's a very little bit of spicy heat, as well, which builds over the course of the drink. Very interesting.

Mouthfeel is nice, but the spice could be a bit much after more than one...not that it's overly hot, but it's a bit odd.

Overall, a really interesting beer, and probably better than I expected. And after my tasting, the rest of the bottle went very well with my barbecue beef on sourdough.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

The pour is dark amber orange, with a slight, light tan head. Looks like a competent red ale or pale ale.

The aroma really isn't all that impressive. Light malts, some caramel, a bit of smoke discernible.

Taste is much better. It starts out with flavours of lemon zest, very crisp and somewhat bitter, astringent - then sweet malts kick in, and the smoke and heat of the chipotle peppers dominates the long finish, giving the beer more depth.

Mouthfeel is medium-thin, a bit soapy, but held together by the nice finish. Average.

Overall, it's like a rauchbier but not nearly as aggressive - sweet and zesty to balance the smoke. Not something I'm racing out to get another bottle of, but not bad either.

4.15/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bomber poured into a stein. Eaten with Chipotle drenched in Tabasco Chipotle sauce.

A-Deep amber with thin creamy tan head

S-Crisp ale with smokey peppers

T-Malty ale with after taste of chipotle peppers (obviously)

M-Just rich enough to let the malty sweetness and smoky peppers flow on your tongue

O-Very interesting take on an ale, but I highly recommend drinking with food with some kind of chipotle seasoning. It complements so well that they should sell it at all Mexican restaurants.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

4.75/5  rDev +33.4%

4.24/5  rDev +19.1%

3.05/5  rDev -14.3%

Hmmm… attention-grabbing. It pours a cloudy orange-brown. The head is moderate and pasty with great retention. It smells of chipotle (obviously) and smoky malts. Just a hint of fruitiness in the nose.

It is surprisingly smooth and soft on the palate. It is a little bready and just a tiny bit spicy. For me, the chipotle is overpowering. I wasn’t sure what I was looking for exactly, but I got a salsa flavored drink. The spiciness is from the chipotle and not from hops and it can get stronger as you drink. Nothing to be worried about though. Medium body and just a hint of citrus.

Rogue’s Chipotle Ale is interesting. The chipotle can be overpowering but if you are a lover of peppers, then this is a winner. This beer is not my favorite offering from Rogue, but they do have many more beers to offer. Mediocre in my book.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.52/5  rDev -1.1%

From the bottle to a glass:

Look: Mostly clear light amber, small fizzy pale head

Smell: Very flowery, but not sweet, citrus-y aromatics

Taste: Spicy on the tongue, floral flavors going down, finishes with a taste of hops. Aftertaste is a little bitter with a tinge of pepper.

Feel: Slight spicy carbonation, smooth and crisp

Drink: Smooth, light, and interesting flavors.. maybe too interesting. A pint or so will do.

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%

This poured a light amber color with a quickly fading off white head. It smelled like any other generic ale with just a very light hint of pepper. The taste was a bit of a letdown as there wasn't really a very strong pepper taste. As I went through the glass the chipotle became a little bit more noticeable, but it never really become a huge part of the taste, and never got to burning.

I just noticed that it was a spring seasonal so I'll have to try this again when it is fresh. I bet the chipotle will be much more noticeable. It still holds up as a decent ale with a very subtle pepper flavor.

4.09/5  rDev +14.9%

Drank out of a bomber poured into a glass.
A. Pours a very reddish brown with not much head.
S. It smells very smokey. Something that I was not expecting, but tasted very good.
T. A lot different than any other chile beer that I have had. It has a very smokey taste with a slight peppered aftertaste.
M. Once again you get a smoked taste in the mouth with a little bit of a bite from the pepper taste.
D. Very good for the style, but it would be difficult to drink more than a glass or two.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

2.14/5  rDev -39.9%

A few ounces from a bomber poured into a small wine glass. Just had a sample. Translucent amber color, not much head.

Smells and tastes like smokey peanuts. Seems like sweet malt is TRYING to break through, but being beaten down by a smokey hot-sauce flavor. Slightly bacony, slight sting in the back of the mouth. It's sort of like a rauchbier, with spice added to the smoke.

Average carbonation - not too low, not too high, pretty decent. Probably the only thing the beer had going for it.

Seriously undrinkable. I couldn't even finish a sample. I love Rogue, but there's no reason to buy this other than to go "dude, check out how weird this beer is" or maybe to use as a marinade for beef jerky. I guess it does technically deliver what it says it will deliver, but I just can't in good conscience give this a good review.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Bomber poured into my favorite bomber-sized glass.

A nice head formed, which took a while to settle, eventually with no lace. Initially very murky, yet no visible yeast deposits; a beautiful red color, but it never cleared up. I like murky beers, but not consistently murky beers and not when it's unexplainable.

The nose was interesting--I expected more chipotle, but that was subtle and balanced by some expected and some unexpected hints, including a faint medicinal scent and some magic marker--but not much. Oddly, the nose, for me anyway, was mixed to the point that it was hard to pick out particular scents. It smelled like ale, but mysteriously, and I liked that. Like all Rogue flavored beers, a general synthetic nose was present, but less so than in other offerings (which I have not liked).

The taste was strange--because it was not that strange. I'm not sure how this beer could get bad reviews. It's not that great, but it's not over-the-top, like the chicory Dogfish Head, IMO one of the worst beers I've ever had. In fact, I like this better than the other Rogue flavored beers, including those which are lauded by BA reviewers. If anything, I would have liked more heat promised by the title, and I think it would have been better with more hops.

The mouthfeel was poor--the carbonation is too much like soda. That, to me, interferes with its drinkability as well.

Unlike most novelty beers, I'm glad I tried this one. If it were cheaper, I'd try it again, but there are so many outstanding bombers available for just $1 more in Columbus (this was $4), like Hop Rod Rye, the Avery barleywine ... yeah, especially those two. I'm glad a Rogue flavor bomber finally came through for me.

2.29/5  rDev -35.7%

After having a fresh chili pepper porter from 3rd Wave and falling in love, maybe I'm biased. This beer did not live up to the hype for me. Lacking pepper flavor all together.

4.2/5  rDev +18%

Presentation:
650mL bomber poured into a tulip glass to really capture those peppery aromas. No dates on the bottle.

Visual:
The body is a delicious ruby orange and clear as a crystal. It agitates well into a nice thick khaki head. Decent retention and some beautiful lacing. I'd give this a 5 if only the head stuck around a little longer.

Aroma:
Well balanced. Great earthy platform from the Willamette hops, along with a bready malt profile bragging of caramel sweet undertones. I won't lie, there is a hint of rubber band somewhere in the back, but it is not unpleasant - just unexpected. Soft pepper notes up front like pepperoni that fade into the unique chipotle twinge in the finish.

Taste:
The hops create a pleasant bittering that cleans the palate for the peppers to follow. Well done Rogue, that's planning ahead. Hearty malt profile that is subtle yet present; again, not stealing the show from the peppers, but making sure everything stays balanced. Medium bodied with a grainy mouthfeel, perfect for rustling those flavors up. Nice soft bittering aftertaste with a hint of spiciness.

Overall:
Job well done. I had a cajun pepper ale a while back that was way out of whack. It seemed that they made an ale, and just added peppers without thinking of how the two blend. Rogue, on the other hand, seemed to put a lot of thought into the final product with this brew. The level of intensity for each ingredient is balanced well with the others.
I could see this brew pairing well with chipotle based foods, but I would personally recommend not going that route. I would say, embrace this ales complexity with some nice pulled pork or rotisserie chicken. Think subtly sweet, like cornbread or bbq. This ale would be perfect for cooking southern recipes with.

Side note: I would let this brew sit out of your fridge for about 15-20 minutes before serving it. I had a glassful while it was cold, straight out of the fridge and it was okay. Once a half hour went by (with the bottle sitting in room temperature) and I had the second glass, the malt really shined. This immensely helps bring out those rich chipotle features.

Cheers!