Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
cshull

1.75/5  rDev -51%

05-30-2012 23:45:12 | More by cshull
BeerEngineer

3.51/5  rDev -1.7%

General - This beer was from a bottle that poured this into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance - Great color to the beer, a nice clean amber color. Head was a great off white that diminished fairly slowly. Great lacing on the beer though. The color of the beer honestly reminds me a of a pepper for some reason!

Smell - A smoky scent to the beer with a slight (very mild) burn from the peppers. Really like it, different for sure, but very nice. I can smell a slight backbone of malt with a touch of hops although they aren't floral or fruity. Just a slight bitterness.

Taste - Very understated chipotle taste, really enjoyable. There is a slight burn at the back of the throat after drinking it but nothing that would be "overkill". A definite bitterness to this beer also, you can taste the hops in it more than I expected that you would be able to. The malted flavor stands up to the chipotle very well. There is a good smokey flavor with the beer also, not as severe or noticeable as a true smoked beer but there is a certain hint to it. Very nice.

Mouthfeel - A little on the thin side for a true amber ale, I would say light to medium light. Pretty highly carbonated also.

Overall - Something different that's not TOO different. If you were to drink this without knowing what it was you would know that it was with some sort of pepper but it's not too pronounced. Not something to have every day or in large quantities but for a random beer every once in a while it's good.

04-26-2013 03:47:27 | More by BeerEngineer
aj_tuna

08-21-2014 20:54:06 | More by aj_tuna
ScarletLady

Maryland

2.9/5  rDev -18.8%

Nice head that didn't hang around leaving ok lacing. A smokey nose. A HUGE smokey flavor with the slight bite coming through at the end. I expected a heavier mouthfeel and I thought it was a little on the thin side. Overall a really interesting beer and I recommend that you try it. I couldn't finish what I had been given - I found the taste too overwhelming to drink a pint of it but i liked it. I am thinking of using it in recipes, maybe in my Beer Cheese soup, or maybe in place of a stout in gravy.

05-25-2006 14:55:00 | More by ScarletLady
crazybrody06

Indiana

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

Pours a reddish brown color with a big head that faded to a ring in about 5 minutes, nice lacing.

Smell is very hoppy, maybe some pepper smell way down in there, but if I wasnt looking for it I would get it.

Taste again very hoppy, had to search for the pepper but after a while my lips and mouth had a bit of a burn to them.

Mouthfeel was full with medium carbonation.
Drinkability was high, although I couldnt really see paying for it.

10-01-2007 01:30:10 | More by crazybrody06
MufflnMan

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

Had this on tap at The Thirsty Monk. Poured a copper color with an off white head. Nose is very peppery with some malt and promises the chipotle that is expected. Small amount of malt in the taste with a well balanced chipotle flavor... not too much, not too little. If you like what's promised by this beer, it delivers nicely. Still, not the most interesting of brews.

04-05-2011 04:54:34 | More by MufflnMan
Demon_Lung

Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev +19%

07-13-2014 02:14:44 | More by Demon_Lung
ledemie

4.38/5  rDev +22.7%

A - the beer light brown, with nice head.

S - Smells of some citrus along with hop aroma, cannot really smell the Chipotle.

T - Sweet malt with a hint of raisin flavor, not too sweet not to astringent.

M - I do not taste the Chipotle, I love spicy, and it might be spicy for someone else, but I do not see it. the mouth feel is nice

D - drinks nice, a good beer, not really a spiced beer for my taste.

04-22-2008 16:16:22 | More by ledemie
Goldopelgt

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

A- Pours a golden honey color with a thick cream colored head...decent retention and some nice lacing...

S- Some bready malts, but smokiness and what I can only describe as chipotle peppers in adobo sauce seem to dominate...

T- As it smells, yet maltiness is even more subdued in comparison to the chipotle and smoke...just a hint of spice, but this is by no means a 'spicy' beer...flavors definitely linger on the palate

M- Light bodied, but a little thin...decent carbonation

D- An interesting brew to say the least...for the style, definitely one of the better ones I've had, yet it seems to be missing something (maybe more heat, maybe heavier mouthfeel...just something more) Nonetheless, this is a unique brew that is worth a shot

01-06-2010 04:04:31 | More by Goldopelgt

dandepoto

01-15-2014 12:38:52 | More by dandepoto
AlesRTasty

2.63/5  rDev -26.3%

This beer pours amber with orange highlights and little head, no lacing. Smells quite smokey and roasted with a taste of well roasted peppers. To be honest I don't really like this. It is an odd flavor to me and I'm from Texas. It's not disgusting. I could still finish it, I just won't spend more money on another.

01-19-2007 02:05:24 | More by AlesRTasty
GatheringBrews

Vermont

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours a dark, copper color with a slightly off white head.

Aroma is smoked pepper and a small bit of malt.

Taste is a medium bodied amber ale overwhelmed a bit by the smoke of the pepper.

The mouthfeel is a bit over dry.

Finish has smoke, which seems to pervade the beer from start to finish. Just not my thing.

01-06-2011 03:09:31 | More by GatheringBrews

10-02-2012 21:10:05 | More by PittsburghHopHead83
dnrobert24

Alabama

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Wow, I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I picked it up out of the curiosity of possibly using chipotle in my own homebrew and wanted to see how the pros at Rogue managed. I was immediately struck by the sweet hot smokey smell of chipotle chiles. It was a carbon copy of opening a bag of actual chipotle chiles. Having heard horror stories of other chile beers, I was a little worried. I poured the beer, a burnt umber, into a pint glass with no head. Carbonation was there, just not in the form of any amount of head. In fact, it tickled my tonge with the carbonation and the lack of head did not help the mouthfeel. The real surprise came in the first sip. Absolutely a chipotle beer. I could taste smoky jalapenos, complete with spicy aftertaste. I even noted a bit of a hop presence. But the more notable offsetting flavor was a carmel sweetness in the malts. It balanced the spicy-smoky chipotle nicely. I had a hard time drinking a lot of this at once due to the spiciness--I felt like too much of it would give me heartburn. Therefore, I spaced it out over a period of grilling veggies, eating dinner, and cleaning up. It actually went fantastically with my grilled veggie sandwich. I marinated some portabellos, zuccini, and red pepper in olive oil and balsamic vinegar and grilled them. I toasted the bread and spread hummos on both sides. The result matched the chipotle ale perfectly. Meaty portabellos worked with the smoky beer. Tangy hummos offset the spiciness. The sweet red peppers picked up the sweetness in the malts. The zuccini... well fortunatly there was not a vegetable taste in the beer, so that was just extra. I probably would not buy another one of these unless matching it with food. Chipotle beer with veggies, who would have thought?

07-12-2006 17:30:25 | More by dnrobert24
slk22

Maryland

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours an amber/honey color, slightly cloudy, with a cream colored head. Aroma is mild with detectable caramel malt and honey notes. Taste is a bready malt with a hint of jalapeno that becomes more pronounced in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a medium body with medium carbonation. An interesting beer, but not one that I would keep on hand.

04-22-2009 02:49:39 | More by slk22
AleShark

02-20-2013 23:18:59 | More by AleShark
EliottJW

3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

it should be noted that we had this with some chipotle pasta the other night and it was a great pair. I don't know how well the beer necessarily complemented the food or vise versa, but I really enjoyed them together.

this brew poured a nice clear, caramel with a thick, off white head that rode the side of my glass pretty well for as light as it looked. it slowly receded to a crown that left a thin layer of small bubbles sitting atop my drink.

smelled hoppy up front and then a bit smokey. not much malt to speak of, but I definitely am becoming a bit more sensitive to the rogue "pacman" yeast. I'm not saying that all rogue beers smell the same, not by any means. though you can pick up that yeast if you're smelling critically.

tastes like a smokey amber all. sweet with a charred and spicy bite. I really had a hard time picking up on just how spicy this beer actually was until I was finished with my dish, but it had some real bite to it that I really enjoyed. a light to medium body backed that spice up and helped it to linger for quite a while.

this is a great beer for what it is, but I would have a real tough time putting back a number of them.

08-13-2009 05:22:16 | More by EliottJW