Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bomber poured into a stein. Eaten with Chipotle drenched in Tabasco Chipotle sauce.

A-Deep amber with thin creamy tan head

S-Crisp ale with smokey peppers

T-Malty ale with after taste of chipotle peppers (obviously)

M-Just rich enough to let the malty sweetness and smoky peppers flow on your tongue

O-Very interesting take on an ale, but I highly recommend drinking with food with some kind of chipotle seasoning. It complements so well that they should sell it at all Mexican restaurants.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

4.75/5  rDev +33.4%

4.24/5  rDev +19.1%

3.05/5  rDev -14.3%

Hmmm… attention-grabbing. It pours a cloudy orange-brown. The head is moderate and pasty with great retention. It smells of chipotle (obviously) and smoky malts. Just a hint of fruitiness in the nose.

It is surprisingly smooth and soft on the palate. It is a little bready and just a tiny bit spicy. For me, the chipotle is overpowering. I wasn’t sure what I was looking for exactly, but I got a salsa flavored drink. The spiciness is from the chipotle and not from hops and it can get stronger as you drink. Nothing to be worried about though. Medium body and just a hint of citrus.

Rogue’s Chipotle Ale is interesting. The chipotle can be overpowering but if you are a lover of peppers, then this is a winner. This beer is not my favorite offering from Rogue, but they do have many more beers to offer. Mediocre in my book.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

From the bottle to a glass:

Look: Mostly clear light amber, small fizzy pale head

Smell: Very flowery, but not sweet, citrus-y aromatics

Taste: Spicy on the tongue, floral flavors going down, finishes with a taste of hops. Aftertaste is a little bitter with a tinge of pepper.

Feel: Slight spicy carbonation, smooth and crisp

Drink: Smooth, light, and interesting flavors.. maybe too interesting. A pint or so will do.

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%

This poured a light amber color with a quickly fading off white head. It smelled like any other generic ale with just a very light hint of pepper. The taste was a bit of a letdown as there wasn't really a very strong pepper taste. As I went through the glass the chipotle became a little bit more noticeable, but it never really become a huge part of the taste, and never got to burning.

I just noticed that it was a spring seasonal so I'll have to try this again when it is fresh. I bet the chipotle will be much more noticeable. It still holds up as a decent ale with a very subtle pepper flavor.

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a dark amber with a good deal of head, albeit dissipating slowly. Smells very early -- subtle hops, and a hint of the chipotle peppers. Nothing fantastic here. The taste is interesting, but I west left wanting more. The complexity isn't what I expected from a "peppery" ale. While I can taste a touch of the chipotle peppers in the aftertaste, it was never the focus nor an integral part of the ale. What was striking is the warmth of flavor and I don't mean temperature. The mouthfeel is exhilarating as the flavor is consistent while the liquid is on the palate, finishing nicely with a hint of pepper. I liked the overall feeling and general warm tasting deliciousness, but I would have liked more chipotles in the overall taste and especially in the smell. Good brew.

4.08/5  rDev +14.6%

Drank out of a bomber poured into a glass.
A. Pours a very reddish brown with not much head.
S. It smells very smokey. Something that I was not expecting, but tasted very good.
T. A lot different than any other chile beer that I have had. It has a very smokey taste with a slight peppered aftertaste.
M. Once again you get a smoked taste in the mouth with a little bit of a bite from the pepper taste.
D. Very good for the style, but it would be difficult to drink more than a glass or two.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

2.1/5  rDev -41%

A few ounces from a bomber poured into a small wine glass. Just had a sample. Translucent amber color, not much head.

Smells and tastes like smokey peanuts. Seems like sweet malt is TRYING to break through, but being beaten down by a smokey hot-sauce flavor. Slightly bacony, slight sting in the back of the mouth. It's sort of like a rauchbier, with spice added to the smoke.

Average carbonation - not too low, not too high, pretty decent. Probably the only thing the beer had going for it.

Seriously undrinkable. I couldn't even finish a sample. I love Rogue, but there's no reason to buy this other than to go "dude, check out how weird this beer is" or maybe to use as a marinade for beef jerky. I guess it does technically deliver what it says it will deliver, but I just can't in good conscience give this a good review.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Bomber poured into my favorite bomber-sized glass.

A nice head formed, which took a while to settle, eventually with no lace. Initially very murky, yet no visible yeast deposits; a beautiful red color, but it never cleared up. I like murky beers, but not consistently murky beers and not when it's unexplainable.

The nose was interesting--I expected more chipotle, but that was subtle and balanced by some expected and some unexpected hints, including a faint medicinal scent and some magic marker--but not much. Oddly, the nose, for me anyway, was mixed to the point that it was hard to pick out particular scents. It smelled like ale, but mysteriously, and I liked that. Like all Rogue flavored beers, a general synthetic nose was present, but less so than in other offerings (which I have not liked).

The taste was strange--because it was not that strange. I'm not sure how this beer could get bad reviews. It's not that great, but it's not over-the-top, like the chicory Dogfish Head, IMO one of the worst beers I've ever had. In fact, I like this better than the other Rogue flavored beers, including those which are lauded by BA reviewers. If anything, I would have liked more heat promised by the title, and I think it would have been better with more hops.

The mouthfeel was poor--the carbonation is too much like soda. That, to me, interferes with its drinkability as well.

Unlike most novelty beers, I'm glad I tried this one. If it were cheaper, I'd try it again, but there are so many outstanding bombers available for just $1 more in Columbus (this was $4), like Hop Rod Rye, the Avery barleywine ... yeah, especially those two. I'm glad a Rogue flavor bomber finally came through for me.

4.18/5  rDev +17.4%

Presentation:
650mL bomber poured into a tulip glass to really capture those peppery aromas. No dates on the bottle.

Visual:
The body is a delicious ruby orange and clear as a crystal. It agitates well into a nice thick khaki head. Decent retention and some beautiful lacing. I'd give this a 5 if only the head stuck around a little longer.

Aroma:
Well balanced. Great earthy platform from the Willamette hops, along with a bready malt profile bragging of caramel sweet undertones. I won't lie, there is a hint of rubber band somewhere in the back, but it is not unpleasant - just unexpected. Soft pepper notes up front like pepperoni that fade into the unique chipotle twinge in the finish.

Taste:
The hops create a pleasant bittering that cleans the palate for the peppers to follow. Well done Rogue, that's planning ahead. Hearty malt profile that is subtle yet present; again, not stealing the show from the peppers, but making sure everything stays balanced. Medium bodied with a grainy mouthfeel, perfect for rustling those flavors up. Nice soft bittering aftertaste with a hint of spiciness.

Overall:
Job well done. I had a cajun pepper ale a while back that was way out of whack. It seemed that they made an ale, and just added peppers without thinking of how the two blend. Rogue, on the other hand, seemed to put a lot of thought into the final product with this brew. The level of intensity for each ingredient is balanced well with the others.
I could see this brew pairing well with chipotle based foods, but I would personally recommend not going that route. I would say, embrace this ales complexity with some nice pulled pork or rotisserie chicken. Think subtly sweet, like cornbread or bbq. This ale would be perfect for cooking southern recipes with.

Side note: I would let this brew sit out of your fridge for about 15-20 minutes before serving it. I had a glassful while it was cold, straight out of the fridge and it was okay. Once a half hour went by (with the bottle sitting in room temperature) and I had the second glass, the malt really shined. This immensely helps bring out those rich chipotle features.

Cheers!

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

2.95/5  rDev -17.1%

A- Copper with a finger of off white head

S- Could smell it as soon as I opened it. Smells strong of smocked meats, also getting caramel and roasted malts, some alcohol too.

T- Smokey and buttery; I get meaty and bbq flavors that are followed by some buttery and creamy flavors.

M- Light bodied; Watery and light but not crisp.

O- Not bad but really not that good. Didn't get much heat from the peppers. After drinking half the bottle I was ready to stop drinking it.

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

A: amber-red with very small white lacing head
S: upfront smokiness and slightly peppery
T: a slight tingle/burn with a huge flavor of smoke and a tidbit of fruity hops. Almost citrus to counteract the burn. I like it!
M: moderately bodied with a lightly carbonated flush in the tip of the tongue.
O: I like this and as mentioned before I agree that this would pair extremely well with barbecued meats, even smoked spicy meat. Definitely would like honey and spicy bbq ribs slow cooked under cedar chips. My mouth is now drooling lol. Definitely a great experience as my first chili/hot pepper beer. Keep up the great work Rogue!

2.25/5  rDev -36.8%