Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
GatheringBrews

Vermont

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours a dark, copper color with a slightly off white head.

Aroma is smoked pepper and a small bit of malt.

Taste is a medium bodied amber ale overwhelmed a bit by the smoke of the pepper.

The mouthfeel is a bit over dry.

Finish has smoke, which seems to pervade the beer from start to finish. Just not my thing.

01-06-2011 03:09:31 | More by GatheringBrews
Sobertso

1.5/5  rDev -58%

08-16-2012 03:49:43 | More by Sobertso
PittsburghHopHead83

10-02-2012 21:10:05 | More by PittsburghHopHead83
theschmooz

3.33/5  rDev -6.7%

I really enjoyed this beer although I will admit I was hoping for more heat. Poured into a pint glass I immediately noticed the smoked profile of the peppers. This also played alot into the silky mouthfeel as the beer warmed. This is my first review so please bear with me. Cheers.

05-18-2014 00:02:43 | More by theschmooz
Demon_Lung

Wisconsin

07-13-2014 02:14:44 | More by Demon_Lung
dnrobert24

Alabama

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Wow, I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I picked it up out of the curiosity of possibly using chipotle in my own homebrew and wanted to see how the pros at Rogue managed. I was immediately struck by the sweet hot smokey smell of chipotle chiles. It was a carbon copy of opening a bag of actual chipotle chiles. Having heard horror stories of other chile beers, I was a little worried. I poured the beer, a burnt umber, into a pint glass with no head. Carbonation was there, just not in the form of any amount of head. In fact, it tickled my tonge with the carbonation and the lack of head did not help the mouthfeel. The real surprise came in the first sip. Absolutely a chipotle beer. I could taste smoky jalapenos, complete with spicy aftertaste. I even noted a bit of a hop presence. But the more notable offsetting flavor was a carmel sweetness in the malts. It balanced the spicy-smoky chipotle nicely. I had a hard time drinking a lot of this at once due to the spiciness--I felt like too much of it would give me heartburn. Therefore, I spaced it out over a period of grilling veggies, eating dinner, and cleaning up. It actually went fantastically with my grilled veggie sandwich. I marinated some portabellos, zuccini, and red pepper in olive oil and balsamic vinegar and grilled them. I toasted the bread and spread hummos on both sides. The result matched the chipotle ale perfectly. Meaty portabellos worked with the smoky beer. Tangy hummos offset the spiciness. The sweet red peppers picked up the sweetness in the malts. The zuccini... well fortunatly there was not a vegetable taste in the beer, so that was just extra. I probably would not buy another one of these unless matching it with food. Chipotle beer with veggies, who would have thought?

07-12-2006 17:30:25 | More by dnrobert24
slk22

Maryland

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours an amber/honey color, slightly cloudy, with a cream colored head. Aroma is mild with detectable caramel malt and honey notes. Taste is a bready malt with a hint of jalapeno that becomes more pronounced in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a medium body with medium carbonation. An interesting beer, but not one that I would keep on hand.

04-22-2009 02:49:39 | More by slk22
AleShark

02-20-2013 23:18:59 | More by AleShark
EliottJW

3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

it should be noted that we had this with some chipotle pasta the other night and it was a great pair. I don't know how well the beer necessarily complemented the food or vise versa, but I really enjoyed them together.

this brew poured a nice clear, caramel with a thick, off white head that rode the side of my glass pretty well for as light as it looked. it slowly receded to a crown that left a thin layer of small bubbles sitting atop my drink.

smelled hoppy up front and then a bit smokey. not much malt to speak of, but I definitely am becoming a bit more sensitive to the rogue "pacman" yeast. I'm not saying that all rogue beers smell the same, not by any means. though you can pick up that yeast if you're smelling critically.

tastes like a smokey amber all. sweet with a charred and spicy bite. I really had a hard time picking up on just how spicy this beer actually was until I was finished with my dish, but it had some real bite to it that I really enjoyed. a light to medium body backed that spice up and helped it to linger for quite a while.

this is a great beer for what it is, but I would have a real tough time putting back a number of them.

08-13-2009 05:22:16 | More by EliottJW
Dark33

Nevada

04-12-2012 02:43:49 | More by Dark33
TJBAIHWL

3.38/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours light reddish amber. The head is small, but sticks around nicely. You can see a lot of effervescence going on in the body of the beer.

After reading the description and some reviews, and having had chili beers before, I was expecting a lot more heat from the nose. There's hardly any peppers, but some nice earthy smells. Mainly it just smells like generic "beer".

Not as much heat as I expected. This is a very earthy beer. The chipotle peppers come through a little stronger on the swallow, accompanied by some hops. It has a pleasant smoky flavor. The heat isn't overpowering, but it's present. Overall, there's a lot more ale than chipotle. I could see it pairing nicely with a wide variety of foods.

The biggest problem I found with it was excessive carbonation. I expect a little more complexity from Rogue, but this beer didn't deliver.

It drinks fairly easily, but I could see the heat at the end slowing some people down.

One last thing; do NOT drink this beer if you have chapped lips, cold sores, or any raw spots in your mouth. That's when the peppers will get you!

12-30-2009 06:56:36 | More by TJBAIHWL
Ruger44

2.25/5  rDev -37%

05-02-2012 12:02:18 | More by Ruger44
altgeeky1

New Hampshire

3.23/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours amber (darker amber, with a copperish hue), producing a generous but short lived head. Head settles quickly to a thin lace across the glass.

Smells light on the malt, ot a lot of hops aroma, with a hint of chili pepper.

Tastes like a pale ale. Light, not too malty. Finishes to a hoppy and peppery glow. The pepper is not overpronounced, but you do feel it in the aftertaste and in your belly.

Mouthfeel is OK. It's mostly balanced leaning towards the spicier side. Carbonation seemed sharper for an American pale ale; a little less CO2 might bring out the malt more. Letting this beer breathe for a bit did help on that aspect.

Overall this is pretty low on the session beer factor. It is not bad - in fact it's interesting how the chili compliments the pepper. Unfortunately two servings of pepper will put your innards on alert more than two servings of hops. This is a pretty good beer and goes well with pizza, but I'll follow it up with something else.

I tried to file a BeerSpy report; unfortunately once you pick New Hampshire you have 14 stores to chose from and there is no 'Other/Not listed'. Purchased from Wine Society in north Nashua, NH which has a small handpicked selection of beers (and no dust).

11-25-2007 01:53:06 | More by altgeeky1
BHep

4.75/5  rDev +33.1%

08-04-2012 20:32:57 | More by BHep
TheStig

3.45/5  rDev -3.4%

This is the second "pepper beer" I've had, the first being Dogfish Head's Theobroma. Comparing these two is somewhat appropriate, since they do feature pepper, but Theobroma also features chocolate and cocoa nibs, which Chipotle Ale does not.

A:
A fine deep copper color, with a healthy three-finger head that didn't want to dissipate. Lacing was similarly hearty.

S:
Pepper, of course, but balanced well with a sweet body that almost reminds me of creme brulee. Think of a fresh, sweet smelling beer and overlay a pepper scent-- nothing too arresting, but notable.

T:
Dry and rather bitter, but with a dense, woody taste that reminded me of a wood grill (!) Taste and smell blend here, as the full smell only become apparent as it's wafting up through the back of your mouth. This would pair well with some carne asada.The pepper hits you when you swallow, so... well.. if that's your thing, you'll like it. I don't like my pepper to be so... delayed? It's not like drinking tabasco sauce, but it's hot. I happen to like spicy food, so this didn't bother me much, but if you're sensitive to pepper, you should steer clear.

M:
First sip and it's like any other beer, but subsequent drinks will increase the heat. Finishing off this 22oz bottle is going to require some help.

D:
Not so much. If you're accustomed to drinking something to numb the burn of hot pepper, this beer will throw you for a loop. Pair it with some food that's not very spicy to balance things out.

09-09-2010 00:52:28 | More by TheStig
exodus1369

3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Not my favorite beer by Rogue but I have to say one of the most creative beers I have ever had. When they say Chipotle they mean it. I am not sure if I should drink this beer or use it as a seasoning. It is very unique, very spicy, tastes like a Chipotle salsa, but it goes down very smoothly and is not over done. I can see how this could have gone wrong is so many ways but, hats off to Rogue, I think they nailed what they were going for. Not sure I would eat with spicy food might be over kill.

Serving type: growler

09-29-2010 06:17:40 | More by exodus1369
ChristianBlack

4.33/5  rDev +21.3%

Pours a slightly hazy amber with a foamy tan head that sticks about a bit.

Brown sugar malty sweetness with a peppery-ness (not sure that's a word), but not something that you would detect on the front end.

Sweet and slightly piney hops with lots of malt and brown sugar sweetness. Then you get the chipotles. I think what works best here is that the malt component. Nice and strong to handle the pepper.

Light body with good carbonation.

I like off-centered beers and enjoyed this one.

03-25-2011 19:27:29 | More by ChristianBlack

12-24-2012 18:03:19 | More by JKAllen
vtblackdog

Vermont

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance is a copper color. Not much head forms and what does disappears quickly.

Smell is very weak. I can not get much at all ... some very weak malt aromas.

Taste is a smokey pepper one. I taste the pepper which is why I drink this style. One can not give me enough pepper in a brew. I'll trade for any chile beer you have!

Mouthfeel is on the thin side but I like the burning sensation.

Overall I like this beer as a very drinkable one.

04-24-2011 17:45:56 | More by vtblackdog

Arizona

07-05-2012 02:31:49 | More by Icehalo
Newmerator

3.1/5  rDev -13.2%

Had this at their location in San Francisco.

Looks great, smells just like Chipotle. So they nailed that on the head. I personally think it's a good beer and they really got what they were going for.

Way too spicy for my liking ,and I could barely finish the sampler me and my buddies got.

worth trying. i don't see this beer coming around again though.

Serving type: nitro-tap