Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -2%

zdogix, May 14, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -30%

osupuck19, Jun 02, 2013

Jave, Mar 01, 2013
3.63/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 650 ml. Bottle into Nonic.

Rusty brown, clear, with a half-inch of creamy, off-white head which doesn't seem to lace at all.

Smells strongly of cedary smoke with hints of unsweetened chocolate, maple, apples, and oily hops.

Smoke permeates the flavor as well. Toast, bitter chocolate, cedar, and an oily bitterness. Vague cooked plant flavors, presumably from the Chipotles with which this beer was brewed. Very slight warmth on the back of the throat quickly fades.

The mouthfeel is full, warm, and oily smooth. Fizzy carbonation and decent weight.

This is an interesting beer that I don't think would be well suited to session drinking. I look forward to experimenting with various food pairings, but sitting down at the pub and having three or four in a row doesn't really sound ideal.

TheMadJack, Mar 22, 2010

dseiters, Apr 08, 2012

CBPAS, May 15, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -9%

wildcat29, May 23, 2012

aj_tuna, Aug 21, 2014
4.22/5  rDev +18.2%

Upon opening some smoke comes out. Upon pouring it pours an off white beige-ish head that is about one finger width. The head retains okay and it laces pretty well. The body is an orange-ish almost amber color. You can see bubbles rise to the top.

The smell comes through with some hops and some smoky pepperiness. Smells pleasing.

You can taste lightly a combination of hops and malt. With these flavors, the hops seem to come through more. What comes through strongly throughout all of that is smoky pepperiness. You can taste the peppers that comes through in a nice smoky peppery delicoius beer.

The mouthfeel is different here. In this beer the carbonation is nice making it a smooth drinkable beer. However, the fact that this is a chile beer gives it a different kick in the mouthfeel. Its something I have not experienced before. You can feel the kick in it, maybe even more than in the actual taste.

Overall, its something to try even if it does not sound appetizing. A chipotle ale does not sound like a delicious beer to drink; or at least it did not sound good to me before I tried it but I am willing to try everything. So, even if a chipotle ale does not sound like a nice delicious ale, give it a try anyway. I enjoyed the new kind of taste that is not normal in most ales.

phenomenologian, Jan 17, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +19%

Demon_Lung, Jul 13, 2014
3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

This cloudy golden brew poured a tight white head that left very little lace. Smokey, floral and sweet plum aromas are slight. The earthy and buttery flavors don't stop the smoked chipotle peppers from asserting themselves. I don't know if the warming feeling is from the peppers or the alcohol, but it's nice. My expectations of Mexicali were low but to my surprise i enjoyed it alot.

paceyourself, Mar 03, 2003

TheBadger0289, May 15, 2013
3.92/5  rDev +9.8%

ChefAndy555, Aug 13, 2014
4.08/5  rDev +14.3%

Didn't really know what to expect from this beer. After trying it, I can say I definitely like the style and find it right up my alley. I do like spicy things overall, and having this makes me realize it can work fairly well in beer when done right. Appearance looks like a normal type of amber ale. Not to much head or lacing, looks nondescript. You can definitely smell some of the pepper, and it gives the beer a slightly smokey scent. The smell is interesting. I can't say it's necessarily appetizing, but definitely interesting. Taste wise is where this beer shines. As it warms, the pepper and spice becomes slightly more pronounced, and gives this beer a bit of a bite that I find to be really satisfying. The more you have of it, the better it is. It takes a little getting used to at first. Mouthfeel is a little on the watery side, but the same time the carbonation goes great with the spice, and the heat of it makes it feel quite full. Any fuller body would probably make this feel too heavy. Overall I quite liked this... not a beer I would drink everyday, but certainly good.

ely2000k, Feb 01, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

a- nice clear amber color with lots of tiny bubbles. a small receding white head. minimal lacing.

s- appley hops, some caramel malt, fresh fruit & very slight alcohol.

t- upfront fruity hops balanced with malt & a noticeable accent of chili pepper. finish is all bread dough & sweetness. very well-balanced but ends up a bit bland & lifeless after a while.

m- crisp, medium body, ample carbonation. quite smooth, & seems like they got this exactly where they wanted it.

I can imagine this pairing nicely with a lot of American & Mexican cuisine. I would maybe like a little more hop presence & a little less malt in a beer like this, as the malts just end up stale and boring to me. Still, an easy drinking good beer to pair with meals in the summer.

HappyBivouac, Feb 19, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -34.2%

A: copper with pretty good sized head

S: a little smokey and spicy with a bit of hop aroma

T: didn't work for me. I was really curious about this when I saw it but felt the smokey chipotle pepper was a little too overpowering to have a 22 on your own

M: average for an almost reddish ale

D:just too much heat. I love good spicy food and hoped this would be a great combination but it just seemed a little too one dimensional to me

I would say it's an interesting beer to try, but best to have a few friends around to taste with you as I couldn't do a whole 22 by myself

shanem, Mar 11, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -2%

noel2977, Jun 24, 2012
3.13/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance: Fizzy off white/ivory head - it's super bubbly; the head looks like it is composed of rows of bubbles on top of each other. The actual beer is a amber cloudy color that reflects the light. It's pretty standard looking, minus the great head that lingers if you give it a hard enough pour

Aroma: Smells like an amber ale, lots of malt up front. There is some spice and sweetness in the background, along with some sourness. I smell pickled watermelon, chipotle ice cream and some smokiness. Smells yummy.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Wow, there is some spice. After you swallow, there is a definite burning in the throat that is very interesting. I've never experienced this in beer. It's a slow burn that becomes more evident over time. There is also some sweetness - hints of roasted bell peppers maybe? The spice definitely dominates though and the mouth feel is very thin. This is good but weird.

Notes: I was expecting more. This is super spicy, so much so that it is making my acid reflux act up. I would like it more if the spiciness could be minimized a bit, but I guess that's why it is called Chipotle Ale. Split a bomber and not looking for any more. Ever actually. This was nice thing to sample, but I'm not gonna go back for more.

seh410, Jun 15, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a dark amber with a good deal of head, albeit dissipating slowly. Smells very early -- subtle hops, and a hint of the chipotle peppers. Nothing fantastic here. The taste is interesting, but I west left wanting more. The complexity isn't what I expected from a "peppery" ale. While I can taste a touch of the chipotle peppers in the aftertaste, it was never the focus nor an integral part of the ale. What was striking is the warmth of flavor and I don't mean temperature. The mouthfeel is exhilarating as the flavor is consistent while the liquid is on the palate, finishing nicely with a hint of pepper. I liked the overall feeling and general warm tasting deliciousness, but I would have liked more chipotles in the overall taste and especially in the smell. Good brew.

churchillps, Mar 03, 2008

IBU – 35
DATE – 12 NOV 2011
SERVING TYPE – 12 OZ bottle
GLASSWARE – Tumbler
APPEARANCE – Reddish orange with a foamy head lingering at ¼ inch and a good flow of bubbles
AROMA- Sweet with a hint of cayenne
TASTE – Chipolata right off the bat but not spicy at all, just a nice roasted pepper taste, Refreshing believe it or not. As the beer warmed up are of the roasted pepper came out, but still never spicy
MOUTHFEEL – very smooth and a bit creamy.
CONCLUSION – I like it, weird flavor but it works. I would not drink it every day, but it is very enjoyable
-JH-

Heischman, Nov 12, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +24.6%

I picked this up because I flat out love chipotle peppers. I only had one other beer with peppers before and it was a porter. Anyhoo...

Poured a nice cloudy copper with a nice thick bone white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass about halfway through. Lacing is thin but slightly sticky. Overall a good looking ale.

The aroma is malty and smokey. After the first sip the smokey aroma leaves the nose and brings out the malts. Slightly sweet, a little woody.

This is an example of a beer that lives up to it's expectations. There is a quick malty sweetness in the front and then... did I eat a chipotle pepper? haha no! this has the perfect taste of chipotle peppers. The smoke comes through as if you had just ate something cooked with the peppers. The heat is in the background, but not over powering.

The mouthfeel is light and the carbonation is spot on. Again the spice is here with heat in the back of your throat, but not overwhelming.

Drinkability is good, but after drinking an entire bomber, I am not craving more. This beer has served it's purpose and I'm ready to move on. You'd have to be a big pepper fan to drink this one all night.

Well with all that being said, I'm glad I picked this one up. And, also glad I have another one in the fridge. I almost feel like attempting this as a homebrew to give as gifts. Thanks Rogue! Well played!

ditch, Apr 26, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -9%

Lucasperea, Jun 07, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +31.1%

TheBigParade, Sep 12, 2014

ManEdward1979, Apr 18, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -1.1%

The Appearance is orange and red, a little bit hazy. Smells of sweet roasted peppers and the taste is similar. Very interesting flavor. Spicy and sweet with roasted flavors which become more intense as the beer is consumed. Bold beer, not an everyday drinking beer but should be a treat on occasions.

icemonkey908, May 15, 2007