Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 693 | Hads: 1,374
4.3/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Great smoke and flavor from the chipotle, but very little heat which gives a great balance. Pairs well with chili or most spicy dishes. Also great to cook with. (160 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

This beer is all about subtlety. There is no chili pepper floating inside the bottle but the chipotle presence is there nonetheless, lurking around under the surface. Peppery and smoky but not overwhelmingly so with a malt sweetness beneath. Pours a clear amber and carries a unique, not unpleasant aroma.

The first thing my wife and I both thought was how to pair this with food as this seems a good choice for a broad range of meals. It's not an everyday beer nor is this a big beer (especially served as we did it right after the Imperial IPA. What were we thinking?) but a solid experience and one I wouldn't mind to repeat. Try it if you're curious. It's not THAT out there. (683 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance is a copper color. Not much head forms and what does disappears quickly.

Smell is very weak. I can not get much at all ... some very weak malt aromas.

Taste is a smokey pepper one. I taste the pepper which is why I drink this style. One can not give me enough pepper in a brew. I'll trade for any chile beer you have!

Mouthfeel is on the thin side but I like the burning sensation.

Overall I like this beer as a very drinkable one. (446 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

Had this at their location in San Francisco.

Looks great, smells just like Chipotle. So they nailed that on the head. I personally think it's a good beer and they really got what they were going for.

Way too spicy for my liking ,and I could barely finish the sampler me and my buddies got.

worth trying. i don't see this beer coming around again though. (358 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Poured a small white head orange in color quickly dissipating coating

S: Smells like Jalepenos, Farm Fresh But just not enough else going on (hop/malt)

T: Tastes like a nice pale ale with some extra creamyness/pepper taster. Unique

M: Interesting, Sharp and Creamy

Overall: Pretty solid beer, unique for sure, I could use a little more to dig into taste is somewhat one sided (384 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +3.9%

Presentation: 22 oz. Bomber - love their designs.

Appearance - Poured thick slightly yellowish head with big, squirmy bubbles. dissipates to thin film after a few minutes. Deep red, slightly brownish translucent hue. Really nice color.

Smell - decent malty pale ale aroma. very much like an average Pale Ale actually.

Mouthfeel - light/medium bodied beer. perhaps a little oily after awhile (possibly because of the pepper) but nothing offensive.

Taste - good carbonation up front, slight chipotle spiciness already. good hoppy/chili spice up front. Balanced moderate malty sweetness and slight aromatic, but hardly bitter hopiness at the back of the mouth. Then the chipotle really takes over leaving a decently hot/spicy taste all over the mouth and lips. A little bit of the sweetness lingers as well, feeling a bit odd with the chipotle. Hint of bitterness also lingers at the back of the mouth. Interesting combination. Suprisingly well balanced chipolte hotness with an otherwise average ale taste.

Definitely drinkable, but don't expect a refreshing cold one or anything. (1,094 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

got a bomber of this, super great. this is one of the more interesting beers ive had. great unfiltered orange appearance with a nice white head. the smell is great, really unique. not much of hops, a bit of sweet carmel malts, but loaded with bbq, hickory smokiness which is just really unique and interesting, in a good way. the smokiness is definltey stronger in the nose than the mouth, the taste is much spicer and accute than the smell that is less pin pointed. less smokey, much more chile, chiptole, jalepenos. tickles the palate on the way out. everything i wanted in this beer in regards to taste. tons of notes reminding me of bbqs, hickory chips, and tons of hot peppers. the drinkability isnt too high, in regards to quantity. but for quality i think it really is highly drinkable and enjoyable. really, really happy with this. another great beer from rogue. (870 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Drunk from a pint-glass, on-tap at Rogue Ale House

Hate/love tasting of this brew

A - Nice and dark, brownish

S - Peppery

T - Goes in like a dark ale, porter, half-stout; then peppers kick in, nice sensation, but then just ramming the buds like a tabasco kick. A bit much, but I looked forward to another sip, though I knew it wouldnt be for a bit.

D - Slow drinking brew. Definitely not a consecutive brew for my taste, but enjoyable. Worth a try.

I would be curious as to the ABV on this one (above it says "?") (519 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

P: pours a copperish dark red with an off white head.

S: peppery, smokey, spicy and slightly sweet.

T: peppery bite dominates palate finishes kinda wattery.

M: medium the peppers really hang around.

O: very interesting mix of peppers and ale, would deff have again. (270 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Nice reddish amber color with thick tan head (that retains well).

Sweet malt aroma and the peppers' spiciness comes through, too.

Mmm, very well balanced maltiness, hops and (at first) a very subtle pepper. Well laced, making the next swallow all-the-more inviting. Drinks very clean & 'bright' for a beer with this degree of complexity.

I'll be honest, I expected more chipotle kick, but nonetheless, this beer is very solid, very drinkable, and could easily qualify as session brew. (493 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +15.8%

Ok, this is what it is, a very spicy well crafted beer of it's kind. You will like it if you are a fan of hot buffalo chicken wings. If you can't stand the heat...stay out of the kitchen! I feel it's one of the best of it's type, and worth a try. Don't be a "cry baby", try something different for a change. (307 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -12.8%

I know that this is going to have a low average score, but it's not that I didn't enjoy this beer; it's more that it's a really new experience for me so it just seemed like a very strange beer.

Pours a deep orange-rust color with a two-finger, mostly white, slightly orange, head that doesn't hang around for terribly long, but left a nice, thick lacing.

I didn't get a lot of smell out of this. There's a little bit of faint peppery smell, but that's about it.

So, taste... this is a very strange tasting beer. In my mouth there's not a lot going on; it doesn't taste bad, but there isn't the bold smack-in-the-face of chipotles I was expecting. However, it leaves a very distinct spicy warmness in the back of my throat that reminds me a lot of eating pepperjack cheese.

Mouthfeel is fine; not a lot to comment on.

As far as drinkability goes, this is a brew that I could probably have a couple of glasses of without issue, and might be really nice with pizza, but I imagine I'd get tired of it kind of before too long. (1,026 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

Chipotle Ale was maybe the third or fourth beer I've had from Rogue's regular line-up. I'm not sure if it was this beer, or Brown Nectar, that sold me on Rogue as a top notch brewery, but either way, this is a beer to try, especially if you're one of the many who have never had a chile beer before. Chipotle Ale is just that, it's a slightly malty beer with a smokey taste and a chipotle pepper kick to the finish. Not hot, in the food sense, but there is a notable kick after swallowing this beer that provides for a very fresh and less than common experience. Chipotle Ale is not as complex and subtle as the chile beers I've tried since, best served by itself, and an excellent choice for a first time chile-beer consumer. (726 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +34.7%

oh man this beer is awsome .not the killer hops like most of the rougs ive tried but no matter. pours a nice deep ruby color. ON first smell i dont really smell to much spice, but its there. malty goodness. theres some pretty good lacing in the glass but then its rogue so.... you really know there are peppers in here after you have drank the beer you can feel that tingling sensation on the tip of your tounge like you just ate some spicy food.a+++ great beer (461 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from bomber bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark, rust orange in colour with about a finger of slightly off-white head that disappears after a few moments.

S: Nose is mainly of malt, with faint smoke scents in the background.

T: Strong malt flavour, with some spiciness up front, followed by a dry finish which holds the smokiness and slight bit of fresh, hot pepper.

M: Felt kinda thin to be honest.

D/O: Pretty enjoyable beer. The smokiness and pepper make it worthwhile. (480 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured this beer from a 22oz bomber. The color was burnt orange with a small head. The first sip tastes like a normal ale then the spice hits. I would say it has more cinnamon characteristics than chile peppers but it was very interesting and it worked well for me. This beer should be in every mexican restaurant and it is one to try. (335 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours copper with a white head. Mild chili aroma with first pour that gets greater as it warms. Medium body, like that of a Golden Ale. Chipotle flavor really comes out as it warms up with a little heat at the back of the throat. Great body and carbonation for a chili beer. (274 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -21.9%

I have to say I was a bit disappointed after reading the reviews here then actually drinking one of these. I was expecting to have something that would either be pretty vile or pretty dang tasty to me since I do like chilis and spicy food. Well I did not get either really. It pours a nice yellow with a bit of a red hue and a slightly white head that laces pretty quickly. The smell to me was a bit like fermented fruit with just a hint of smokiness in the background. The taste was what kind of let me down but not in a horrible way. It ended being so average to me, I was expecting to either be wowed or just grossed out by something that tasted too much like peppers. I don't know maybe I'm crazy but it just tasted like a very average thin ale with just a tiny hint of smokiness in the background. The immediate aftertaste is just the smokiness but after a while if you let it sit on your tongue I get a hint of burnt chili seeds. It was not too bad for me getting through the one bomber but I gave it a 2.5 on drinkability because I could definately imagine it turning off alot of people and just left me pretty unimpressed either way. Not horrible or anything but I don't think I would buy another one. I cracked open a Stone Pale Ale after drinking this one and that just tasted soooo good after drinking this stuff. (1,324 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber color with a thin creamy white head. Smokey pepper, malty aroma. Initial taste is very unusual and awkward but becomes very good. Warm, full bodied. Spicy finish. Very intriguing beer if you want to explore, but not something you would drink very often. (259 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -20%

Served on tap at the Blue Dog, this arrived in a pint glass with a tiny collar of white foam atop clear amber. Smell was of an american brown ale: nutty, sweet aroma with citrus hop notes (cascades)? Initially the taste was similar with a good mix of caramel sweet maltiness and bitter hops, but the taste changed to that of the chipotle. It was a smoky barbeque type taste, and only minimal heat from capcaesin. Mouthfeel was light-bodied and seemed appropriate for what I'm guessing was a 5% ABV beer, give or take 0.2%. I drank it quickly, but more so to get it over with.

Note: Interesting flavor, but I doubt I'll revisit this style any time soon. I am fond of hot sauce and tobasco has long since replaced ketchup on my scrambled eggs, but it doesn't seem to work well with this beer, and the aftertaste was annoying. (826 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

Since this beer is spicier than it is smokey, it would pair well with mexican or spicier foods. The beer pours an amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a rich malty scent that boasts of pale, crystal, and roasted malts along with spicey red chile edge. The taste is good as well. It has a smooth, malty flavor that boasts of crystal and roasted malts along with a very spicey chipotle pepper taste. I love these kind of beers. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. Rogue seems to be able to get it done no matter what style it is. (632 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Pouring this from the standard Rogue 650 ml bottle, a clean fluffy head rolled up from its foggy red mass. A beautiful beer...but then I started drinking it.

Right before it touched my lips I smelt the peppers almost like a dry rub. Unfortunately that's also how it felt inside my mouth. The taste was mediocre for Rogue, which is still delightful overall.

There is much left to be desired in this beer. Yet there is still much to enjoy as is. (445 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured into a glass. The color is amber with a large white head. Smell is strong, with a nice chile bite. It's a smooth taste, the chiles are apparent and it's well carbonated. The mouthfeel is average, the spiciness of the drink lingers though which is a nice touch. (267 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%

Rogue Chipolte pours a delicious looking deep copper with a weak head and respectable lacing. The aroma is malt heavy and quite inviting. Malt initially dominates the taste as well, though soon is overtaken by the spicy character of the pepper. Leaves the palate smoothly, but a slight burn remains on the lips.

Overall this is an interesting drinking experience, though I cannot imagine desiring much more than one glass at a sitting, and even that one glass proved a bit challenging to finish off at the end. The pepper character strikes me as somewhat of a novelty, and I would just prefer a strong hop character every time. (630 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

22 oz poured into pint glass

Appearance:Nice copper color, light carbonation, thin head that didn't stay long.

Smell: Malty and smoky. You can definitely smell chipotle.

Taste: To me it has that smoked stout flavor. Like with a Beamish. The chipotle flavor may be a bit strong. It's not spicy.

Mouthfeel: It feels light and a little undercarbonated.

Drinkability: I think it's a good beer. This is my first chili beer. It's very easy to drink, and an interesting combination. Try one. (499 characters)

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales