Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,370 | Reviews: 707
3.84/5  rDev +7.9%

Wow, I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I picked it up out of the curiosity of possibly using chipotle in my own homebrew and wanted to see how the pros at Rogue managed. I was immediately struck by the sweet hot smokey smell of chipotle chiles. It was a carbon copy of opening a bag of actual chipotle chiles. Having heard horror stories of other chile beers, I was a little worried. I poured the beer, a burnt umber, into a pint glass with no head. Carbonation was there, just not in the form of any amount of head. In fact, it tickled my tonge with the carbonation and the lack of head did not help the mouthfeel. The real surprise came in the first sip. Absolutely a chipotle beer. I could taste smoky jalapenos, complete with spicy aftertaste. I even noted a bit of a hop presence. But the more notable offsetting flavor was a carmel sweetness in the malts. It balanced the spicy-smoky chipotle nicely. I had a hard time drinking a lot of this at once due to the spiciness--I felt like too much of it would give me heartburn. Therefore, I spaced it out over a period of grilling veggies, eating dinner, and cleaning up. It actually went fantastically with my grilled veggie sandwich. I marinated some portabellos, zuccini, and red pepper in olive oil and balsamic vinegar and grilled them. I toasted the bread and spread hummos on both sides. The result matched the chipotle ale perfectly. Meaty portabellos worked with the smoky beer. Tangy hummos offset the spiciness. The sweet red peppers picked up the sweetness in the malts. The zuccini... well fortunatly there was not a vegetable taste in the beer, so that was just extra. I probably would not buy another one of these unless matching it with food. Chipotle beer with veggies, who would have thought?

3.06/5  rDev -14%

Pours an amber/honey color, slightly cloudy, with a cream colored head. Aroma is mild with detectable caramel malt and honey notes. Taste is a bready malt with a hint of jalapeno that becomes more pronounced in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a medium body with medium carbonation. An interesting beer, but not one that I would keep on hand.

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

it should be noted that we had this with some chipotle pasta the other night and it was a great pair. I don't know how well the beer necessarily complemented the food or vise versa, but I really enjoyed them together.

this brew poured a nice clear, caramel with a thick, off white head that rode the side of my glass pretty well for as light as it looked. it slowly receded to a crown that left a thin layer of small bubbles sitting atop my drink.

smelled hoppy up front and then a bit smokey. not much malt to speak of, but I definitely am becoming a bit more sensitive to the rogue "pacman" yeast. I'm not saying that all rogue beers smell the same, not by any means. though you can pick up that yeast if you're smelling critically.

tastes like a smokey amber all. sweet with a charred and spicy bite. I really had a hard time picking up on just how spicy this beer actually was until I was finished with my dish, but it had some real bite to it that I really enjoyed. a light to medium body backed that spice up and helped it to linger for quite a while.

this is a great beer for what it is, but I would have a real tough time putting back a number of them.

3.36/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours light reddish amber. The head is small, but sticks around nicely. You can see a lot of effervescence going on in the body of the beer.

After reading the description and some reviews, and having had chili beers before, I was expecting a lot more heat from the nose. There's hardly any peppers, but some nice earthy smells. Mainly it just smells like generic "beer".

Not as much heat as I expected. This is a very earthy beer. The chipotle peppers come through a little stronger on the swallow, accompanied by some hops. It has a pleasant smoky flavor. The heat isn't overpowering, but it's present. Overall, there's a lot more ale than chipotle. I could see it pairing nicely with a wide variety of foods.

The biggest problem I found with it was excessive carbonation. I expect a little more complexity from Rogue, but this beer didn't deliver.

It drinks fairly easily, but I could see the heat at the end slowing some people down.

One last thing; do NOT drink this beer if you have chapped lips, cold sores, or any raw spots in your mouth. That's when the peppers will get you!

3.21/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours amber (darker amber, with a copperish hue), producing a generous but short lived head. Head settles quickly to a thin lace across the glass.

Smells light on the malt, ot a lot of hops aroma, with a hint of chili pepper.

Tastes like a pale ale. Light, not too malty. Finishes to a hoppy and peppery glow. The pepper is not overpronounced, but you do feel it in the aftertaste and in your belly.

Mouthfeel is OK. It's mostly balanced leaning towards the spicier side. Carbonation seemed sharper for an American pale ale; a little less CO2 might bring out the malt more. Letting this beer breathe for a bit did help on that aspect.

Overall this is pretty low on the session beer factor. It is not bad - in fact it's interesting how the chili compliments the pepper. Unfortunately two servings of pepper will put your innards on alert more than two servings of hops. This is a pretty good beer and goes well with pizza, but I'll follow it up with something else.

I tried to file a BeerSpy report; unfortunately once you pick New Hampshire you have 14 stores to chose from and there is no 'Other/Not listed'. Purchased from Wine Society in north Nashua, NH which has a small handpicked selection of beers (and no dust).

3.42/5  rDev -3.9%

This is the second "pepper beer" I've had, the first being Dogfish Head's Theobroma. Comparing these two is somewhat appropriate, since they do feature pepper, but Theobroma also features chocolate and cocoa nibs, which Chipotle Ale does not.

A:
A fine deep copper color, with a healthy three-finger head that didn't want to dissipate. Lacing was similarly hearty.

S:
Pepper, of course, but balanced well with a sweet body that almost reminds me of creme brulee. Think of a fresh, sweet smelling beer and overlay a pepper scent-- nothing too arresting, but notable.

T:
Dry and rather bitter, but with a dense, woody taste that reminded me of a wood grill (!) Taste and smell blend here, as the full smell only become apparent as it's wafting up through the back of your mouth. This would pair well with some carne asada.The pepper hits you when you swallow, so... well.. if that's your thing, you'll like it. I don't like my pepper to be so... delayed? It's not like drinking tabasco sauce, but it's hot. I happen to like spicy food, so this didn't bother me much, but if you're sensitive to pepper, you should steer clear.

M:
First sip and it's like any other beer, but subsequent drinks will increase the heat. Finishing off this 22oz bottle is going to require some help.

D:
Not so much. If you're accustomed to drinking something to numb the burn of hot pepper, this beer will throw you for a loop. Pair it with some food that's not very spicy to balance things out.

3.99/5  rDev +12.1%

Not my favorite beer by Rogue but I have to say one of the most creative beers I have ever had. When they say Chipotle they mean it. I am not sure if I should drink this beer or use it as a seasoning. It is very unique, very spicy, tastes like a Chipotle salsa, but it goes down very smoothly and is not over done. I can see how this could have gone wrong is so many ways but, hats off to Rogue, I think they nailed what they were going for. Not sure I would eat with spicy food might be over kill.

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%

Pours a slightly hazy amber with a foamy tan head that sticks about a bit.

Brown sugar malty sweetness with a peppery-ness (not sure that's a word), but not something that you would detect on the front end.

Sweet and slightly piney hops with lots of malt and brown sugar sweetness. Then you get the chipotles. I think what works best here is that the malt component. Nice and strong to handle the pepper.

Light body with good carbonation.

I like off-centered beers and enjoyed this one.

3.66/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance is a copper color. Not much head forms and what does disappears quickly.

Smell is very weak. I can not get much at all ... some very weak malt aromas.

Taste is a smokey pepper one. I taste the pepper which is why I drink this style. One can not give me enough pepper in a brew. I'll trade for any chile beer you have!

Mouthfeel is on the thin side but I like the burning sensation.

Overall I like this beer as a very drinkable one.

3.13/5  rDev -12.1%

Had this at their location in San Francisco.

Looks great, smells just like Chipotle. So they nailed that on the head. I personally think it's a good beer and they really got what they were going for.

Way too spicy for my liking ,and I could barely finish the sampler me and my buddies got.

worth trying. i don't see this beer coming around again though.

3.71/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Poured a small white head orange in color quickly dissipating coating

S: Smells like Jalepenos, Farm Fresh But just not enough else going on (hop/malt)

T: Tastes like a nice pale ale with some extra creamyness/pepper taster. Unique

M: Interesting, Sharp and Creamy

Overall: Pretty solid beer, unique for sure, I could use a little more to dig into taste is somewhat one sided

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Great smoke and flavor from the chipotle, but very little heat which gives a great balance. Pairs well with chili or most spicy dishes. Also great to cook with.

3.74/5  rDev +5.1%

Presentation: 22 oz. Bomber - love their designs.

Appearance - Poured thick slightly yellowish head with big, squirmy bubbles. dissipates to thin film after a few minutes. Deep red, slightly brownish translucent hue. Really nice color.

Smell - decent malty pale ale aroma. very much like an average Pale Ale actually.

Mouthfeel - light/medium bodied beer. perhaps a little oily after awhile (possibly because of the pepper) but nothing offensive.

Taste - good carbonation up front, slight chipotle spiciness already. good hoppy/chili spice up front. Balanced moderate malty sweetness and slight aromatic, but hardly bitter hopiness at the back of the mouth. Then the chipotle really takes over leaving a decently hot/spicy taste all over the mouth and lips. A little bit of the sweetness lingers as well, feeling a bit odd with the chipotle. Hint of bitterness also lingers at the back of the mouth. Interesting combination. Suprisingly well balanced chipolte hotness with an otherwise average ale taste.

Definitely drinkable, but don't expect a refreshing cold one or anything.

4.19/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

got a bomber of this, super great. this is one of the more interesting beers ive had. great unfiltered orange appearance with a nice white head. the smell is great, really unique. not much of hops, a bit of sweet carmel malts, but loaded with bbq, hickory smokiness which is just really unique and interesting, in a good way. the smokiness is definltey stronger in the nose than the mouth, the taste is much spicer and accute than the smell that is less pin pointed. less smokey, much more chile, chiptole, jalepenos. tickles the palate on the way out. everything i wanted in this beer in regards to taste. tons of notes reminding me of bbqs, hickory chips, and tons of hot peppers. the drinkability isnt too high, in regards to quantity. but for quality i think it really is highly drinkable and enjoyable. really, really happy with this. another great beer from rogue.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

This beer is all about subtlety. There is no chili pepper floating inside the bottle but the chipotle presence is there nonetheless, lurking around under the surface. Peppery and smoky but not overwhelmingly so with a malt sweetness beneath. Pours a clear amber and carries a unique, not unpleasant aroma.

The first thing my wife and I both thought was how to pair this with food as this seems a good choice for a broad range of meals. It's not an everyday beer nor is this a big beer (especially served as we did it right after the Imperial IPA. What were we thinking?) but a solid experience and one I wouldn't mind to repeat. Try it if you're curious. It's not THAT out there.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Drunk from a pint-glass, on-tap at Rogue Ale House

Hate/love tasting of this brew

A - Nice and dark, brownish

S - Peppery

T - Goes in like a dark ale, porter, half-stout; then peppers kick in, nice sensation, but then just ramming the buds like a tabasco kick. A bit much, but I looked forward to another sip, though I knew it wouldnt be for a bit.

D - Slow drinking brew. Definitely not a consecutive brew for my taste, but enjoyable. Worth a try.

I would be curious as to the ABV on this one (above it says "?")

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

P: pours a copperish dark red with an off white head.

S: peppery, smokey, spicy and slightly sweet.

T: peppery bite dominates palate finishes kinda wattery.

M: medium the peppers really hang around.

O: very interesting mix of peppers and ale, would deff have again.

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

Nice reddish amber color with thick tan head (that retains well).

Sweet malt aroma and the peppers' spiciness comes through, too.

Mmm, very well balanced maltiness, hops and (at first) a very subtle pepper. Well laced, making the next swallow all-the-more inviting. Drinks very clean & 'bright' for a beer with this degree of complexity.

I'll be honest, I expected more chipotle kick, but nonetheless, this beer is very solid, very drinkable, and could easily qualify as session brew.

4.17/5  rDev +17.1%

Ok, this is what it is, a very spicy well crafted beer of it's kind. You will like it if you are a fan of hot buffalo chicken wings. If you can't stand the heat...stay out of the kitchen! I feel it's one of the best of it's type, and worth a try. Don't be a "cry baby", try something different for a change.

3.14/5  rDev -11.8%

I know that this is going to have a low average score, but it's not that I didn't enjoy this beer; it's more that it's a really new experience for me so it just seemed like a very strange beer.

Pours a deep orange-rust color with a two-finger, mostly white, slightly orange, head that doesn't hang around for terribly long, but left a nice, thick lacing.

I didn't get a lot of smell out of this. There's a little bit of faint peppery smell, but that's about it.

So, taste... this is a very strange tasting beer. In my mouth there's not a lot going on; it doesn't taste bad, but there isn't the bold smack-in-the-face of chipotles I was expecting. However, it leaves a very distinct spicy warmness in the back of my throat that reminds me a lot of eating pepperjack cheese.

Mouthfeel is fine; not a lot to comment on.

As far as drinkability goes, this is a brew that I could probably have a couple of glasses of without issue, and might be really nice with pizza, but I imagine I'd get tired of it kind of before too long.

4.15/5  rDev +16.6%

Chipotle Ale was maybe the third or fourth beer I've had from Rogue's regular line-up. I'm not sure if it was this beer, or Brown Nectar, that sold me on Rogue as a top notch brewery, but either way, this is a beer to try, especially if you're one of the many who have never had a chile beer before. Chipotle Ale is just that, it's a slightly malty beer with a smokey taste and a chipotle pepper kick to the finish. Not hot, in the food sense, but there is a notable kick after swallowing this beer that provides for a very fresh and less than common experience. Chipotle Ale is not as complex and subtle as the chile beers I've tried since, best served by itself, and an excellent choice for a first time chile-beer consumer.

4.85/5  rDev +36.2%

oh man this beer is awsome .not the killer hops like most of the rougs ive tried but no matter. pours a nice deep ruby color. ON first smell i dont really smell to much spice, but its there. malty goodness. theres some pretty good lacing in the glass but then its rogue so.... you really know there are peppers in here after you have drank the beer you can feel that tingling sensation on the tip of your tounge like you just ate some spicy food.a+++ great beer

- just a hint of smoke in the smell
- distant smokey taste, much more subtle than the smoked ale
- a somewhat sharp heat in the finish

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured from bomber bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark, rust orange in colour with about a finger of slightly off-white head that disappears after a few moments.

S: Nose is mainly of malt, with faint smoke scents in the background.

T: Strong malt flavour, with some spiciness up front, followed by a dry finish which holds the smokiness and slight bit of fresh, hot pepper.

M: Felt kinda thin to be honest.

D/O: Pretty enjoyable beer. The smokiness and pepper make it worthwhile.

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured this beer from a 22oz bomber. The color was burnt orange with a small head. The first sip tastes like a normal ale then the spice hits. I would say it has more cinnamon characteristics than chile peppers but it was very interesting and it worked well for me. This beer should be in every mexican restaurant and it is one to try.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales