Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 693 | Hads: 1,372
4.17/5  rDev +15.8%

Ok, this is what it is, a very spicy well crafted beer of it's kind. You will like it if you are a fan of hot buffalo chicken wings. If you can't stand the heat...stay out of the kitchen! I feel it's one of the best of it's type, and worth a try. Don't be a "cry baby", try something different for a change. (307 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -12.8%

I know that this is going to have a low average score, but it's not that I didn't enjoy this beer; it's more that it's a really new experience for me so it just seemed like a very strange beer.

Pours a deep orange-rust color with a two-finger, mostly white, slightly orange, head that doesn't hang around for terribly long, but left a nice, thick lacing.

I didn't get a lot of smell out of this. There's a little bit of faint peppery smell, but that's about it.

So, taste... this is a very strange tasting beer. In my mouth there's not a lot going on; it doesn't taste bad, but there isn't the bold smack-in-the-face of chipotles I was expecting. However, it leaves a very distinct spicy warmness in the back of my throat that reminds me a lot of eating pepperjack cheese.

Mouthfeel is fine; not a lot to comment on.

As far as drinkability goes, this is a brew that I could probably have a couple of glasses of without issue, and might be really nice with pizza, but I imagine I'd get tired of it kind of before too long. (1,026 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

Chipotle Ale was maybe the third or fourth beer I've had from Rogue's regular line-up. I'm not sure if it was this beer, or Brown Nectar, that sold me on Rogue as a top notch brewery, but either way, this is a beer to try, especially if you're one of the many who have never had a chile beer before. Chipotle Ale is just that, it's a slightly malty beer with a smokey taste and a chipotle pepper kick to the finish. Not hot, in the food sense, but there is a notable kick after swallowing this beer that provides for a very fresh and less than common experience. Chipotle Ale is not as complex and subtle as the chile beers I've tried since, best served by itself, and an excellent choice for a first time chile-beer consumer. (726 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +34.7%

oh man this beer is awsome .not the killer hops like most of the rougs ive tried but no matter. pours a nice deep ruby color. ON first smell i dont really smell to much spice, but its there. malty goodness. theres some pretty good lacing in the glass but then its rogue so.... you really know there are peppers in here after you have drank the beer you can feel that tingling sensation on the tip of your tounge like you just ate some spicy food.a+++ great beer (461 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from bomber bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark, rust orange in colour with about a finger of slightly off-white head that disappears after a few moments.

S: Nose is mainly of malt, with faint smoke scents in the background.

T: Strong malt flavour, with some spiciness up front, followed by a dry finish which holds the smokiness and slight bit of fresh, hot pepper.

M: Felt kinda thin to be honest.

D/O: Pretty enjoyable beer. The smokiness and pepper make it worthwhile. (480 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured this beer from a 22oz bomber. The color was burnt orange with a small head. The first sip tastes like a normal ale then the spice hits. I would say it has more cinnamon characteristics than chile peppers but it was very interesting and it worked well for me. This beer should be in every mexican restaurant and it is one to try. (335 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours copper with a white head. Mild chili aroma with first pour that gets greater as it warms. Medium body, like that of a Golden Ale. Chipotle flavor really comes out as it warms up with a little heat at the back of the throat. Great body and carbonation for a chili beer. (274 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -21.9%

I have to say I was a bit disappointed after reading the reviews here then actually drinking one of these. I was expecting to have something that would either be pretty vile or pretty dang tasty to me since I do like chilis and spicy food. Well I did not get either really. It pours a nice yellow with a bit of a red hue and a slightly white head that laces pretty quickly. The smell to me was a bit like fermented fruit with just a hint of smokiness in the background. The taste was what kind of let me down but not in a horrible way. It ended being so average to me, I was expecting to either be wowed or just grossed out by something that tasted too much like peppers. I don't know maybe I'm crazy but it just tasted like a very average thin ale with just a tiny hint of smokiness in the background. The immediate aftertaste is just the smokiness but after a while if you let it sit on your tongue I get a hint of burnt chili seeds. It was not too bad for me getting through the one bomber but I gave it a 2.5 on drinkability because I could definately imagine it turning off alot of people and just left me pretty unimpressed either way. Not horrible or anything but I don't think I would buy another one. I cracked open a Stone Pale Ale after drinking this one and that just tasted soooo good after drinking this stuff. (1,324 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber color with a thin creamy white head. Smokey pepper, malty aroma. Initial taste is very unusual and awkward but becomes very good. Warm, full bodied. Spicy finish. Very intriguing beer if you want to explore, but not something you would drink very often. (259 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -20%

Served on tap at the Blue Dog, this arrived in a pint glass with a tiny collar of white foam atop clear amber. Smell was of an american brown ale: nutty, sweet aroma with citrus hop notes (cascades)? Initially the taste was similar with a good mix of caramel sweet maltiness and bitter hops, but the taste changed to that of the chipotle. It was a smoky barbeque type taste, and only minimal heat from capcaesin. Mouthfeel was light-bodied and seemed appropriate for what I'm guessing was a 5% ABV beer, give or take 0.2%. I drank it quickly, but more so to get it over with.

Note: Interesting flavor, but I doubt I'll revisit this style any time soon. I am fond of hot sauce and tobasco has long since replaced ketchup on my scrambled eggs, but it doesn't seem to work well with this beer, and the aftertaste was annoying. (826 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

Since this beer is spicier than it is smokey, it would pair well with mexican or spicier foods. The beer pours an amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a rich malty scent that boasts of pale, crystal, and roasted malts along with spicey red chile edge. The taste is good as well. It has a smooth, malty flavor that boasts of crystal and roasted malts along with a very spicey chipotle pepper taste. I love these kind of beers. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. Rogue seems to be able to get it done no matter what style it is. (632 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Pouring this from the standard Rogue 650 ml bottle, a clean fluffy head rolled up from its foggy red mass. A beautiful beer...but then I started drinking it.

Right before it touched my lips I smelt the peppers almost like a dry rub. Unfortunately that's also how it felt inside my mouth. The taste was mediocre for Rogue, which is still delightful overall.

There is much left to be desired in this beer. Yet there is still much to enjoy as is. (445 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured into a glass. The color is amber with a large white head. Smell is strong, with a nice chile bite. It's a smooth taste, the chiles are apparent and it's well carbonated. The mouthfeel is average, the spiciness of the drink lingers though which is a nice touch. (267 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%

Rogue Chipolte pours a delicious looking deep copper with a weak head and respectable lacing. The aroma is malt heavy and quite inviting. Malt initially dominates the taste as well, though soon is overtaken by the spicy character of the pepper. Leaves the palate smoothly, but a slight burn remains on the lips.

Overall this is an interesting drinking experience, though I cannot imagine desiring much more than one glass at a sitting, and even that one glass proved a bit challenging to finish off at the end. The pepper character strikes me as somewhat of a novelty, and I would just prefer a strong hop character every time. (630 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

22 oz poured into pint glass

Appearance:Nice copper color, light carbonation, thin head that didn't stay long.

Smell: Malty and smoky. You can definitely smell chipotle.

Taste: To me it has that smoked stout flavor. Like with a Beamish. The chipotle flavor may be a bit strong. It's not spicy.

Mouthfeel: It feels light and a little undercarbonated.

Drinkability: I think it's a good beer. This is my first chili beer. It's very easy to drink, and an interesting combination. Try one. (499 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured a relatively nice orange/red color, though i can't be too too sure since I was in a dark restaurant when i got it. There was almost no head apparent, even when I swirled it around in the pint glass.

It smelt interesting and had some hops come through as well as some small amount of peppery, yet not extremely spicy flavor. It was obviously composed in balance as it was difficult to identify many distinguishable aromas.

The taste was actually very smooth and enjoyable to drink. It started as a slightly hoppy amber and progressed into a cayenne pepper flavor. Although my last experience with a "funky" beer was unenjoyable, this was actually decent. I paired it with some Mexican food, which really was the right idea.

The mouth feel was decent and although I could have gone with a tiny bit more viscosity, I enjoyed it as it went down. Furthermore, I felt that it was extremely drinkable as before I had even realized, I pretty much killed the beer.

Definitely an enjoyable beer. I'm glad I didn't listen to some warnings from others; for an interesting beer, this is a great try that's worth coming back for again. (1,132 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

I poured this into a pint glass

A - Slightly cloudy with a decent slightly reddish color.

S - I didn't notice anything outstanding other than some hops. Nothing really jumped out at me.

T - This was pretty decent. I was worried it would be a little too spicy or have a flavor I didn't like. It tasted like a decent ale with a little bit of a bite. I wouldn't know the reason for the bite if I didn't read the label, but it was decent.

M - Again, the slight bite was the most noticeable thing to me. Mostly on the sides of my tongue, it felt nice. Nothing bad about this one.

D - I could have a few of these. Of beers similar in style, this is probably about average. If I had to buy it, I would probably settle for a beer a little lighter on the wallet but with similar taste. This isn't a beer I would go out and buy a case of, but if my buddy offered it to me I'd have no problem drinking it. (899 characters)

a: pours cloudy dark copper with sturdy one-finger head.

s: earthy smoked pepper on top of sweet malt and a bit of hop spice.

t: sweet pale ale taste for a second until the chipotle kicks in, which warms slightly and brings a great smoky taste.

m: thick but smooth, the chipotle leaves an earthy film.

d: delicious well-balanced mix of spice and sweet, it can be a refreshing break during a night of strong beers. (417 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was my first effort at chili beers and I'm not sure I can handle the style but I'll try to rate it for what it is.

A- Clear amber with a thick head nice retention and good lacing. Pretty anyway.

S- Malt and smoke then the pepper. Quite spicy on the nose. Even just a little sweetness.

T- Doesn't burn too bad actually. I think the point isn't just the hotness but peppers add a certain flavor of there own. You taste the malt first and then it's smoky like a porter. Then the spiciness kicks in. There's also yeast and I think a little citrus hops flavor on the end. Balance is impressive actually.

M- Clean and crisp medium body.

D- If you can handle the heat then go ahead and hit a few of these. (708 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -70.6%

Probably, by far one of the most terrible beers i've ever had if not the worst. Tastes like a cruel joke involving someone literally pouring chipotle sauce in beer and calling it a style. Made me want to vomit, and gave me immediate indigestion with only two gulps.

This is by no means a bash to rogue brewing, because they put out some stuff i truly enjoy (i.e. santas private reserve, dead guy, and xs) Would refrain from ever wasting your money on this. The bottle is cool, but the beer is an atrocity. (506 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

Until this point, the only chile beer I've tried was the notorious Cave Creek Chili Beer. After that, I never really had the burning desire to try another chile beer. I finally picked up a bottle of Rogue Chipolte Ale today and to my suprise, I'm really enjoying it. It has a nice sweet peppery malt scent and it tastes great. You can certianly pick up the pepper flavors but they are not at all overwhelming as they are in Cave Creek. I cannot detect much for hops but there might be an ever so slight cascade taste if any. This is also a highly drinkable beer and well balanced considering it's made with chipolte peppers... I will have no problem finishing this bottle, and actually would like to pick up another. Going down well with my RB sandwich...

There are probably others like me who fear spending the 4.50 on a bottle of chipolte ale after trying something like cave creek, but I highly recommend this beer. Rogue is a great brewer and they have made a winner with this beer. The peppers compliment the rest of the beer well and it's a nice change from your average beer. I recommend it and will certianly be picking this up again. Maybe in just a few minutes... (1,176 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

This is a very interesting beer. I thought the pepper was really balanced but a lot of the people who tried it with me thought otherwise. The beer is a nice amber color with a fluffy off white head and great lacing. The smell is what's the most odd about this beer to me. It smelled a lot like beer, but it smelled almost like something had gone wrong in the process. It didn't smell bad, it just smelled different. I will attribute that to the chipotle peppers. The taste is great though, with nice caramel overtones and not a whole lot of smokiness or stiff spicy flavor. It's in the finish where the chipotle peppers shine... instead of an alcohol burn on the way down you get a really nice warming sensation from the presence of the peppers. This would be a great beer on a cold winter night. The mouthfeel is smooth and refreshing considering the peppers. Definitely not a beer you'll be having more than two of in one evening. (932 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +25%

Purchased a bomber at Beltway Fine Wine nearby, poured into a DFH snifter.

I'm a fan of smoked and chili pepper type beers, so I had to buy it when I saw it and was excited to try it. It definitely lived up to its expectations!

Pours a reddish medium brown with light-tan head about 2 fingers tall. You can smell that smoked and chipotle aromas, and you can certainly taste them, too. I love the smoke flavor this beer has. It really tastes like the smoked chipotle ground spice I have in the cabinet... and in a very good way! It would certainly make a great stout, too. (574 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a very clear copper/orange (way to go Pacman yeast). Thin, compact head dissipates extremely rapidly to nothing (likely due to chipotle oils in the beer). During sipping, there is no lacing that clings to the glass.

Scents of toffee, faint caramel, slight floral hop presence.

Medium to highly carbonated brew hits the palate and helps to spread the flavors around. Thin, but crisp mouthfeel. I would like a little more malt presence up front to balance the 35 IBUs of cascade and willamette hops. But, I do initially taste some earthy caramel and slight nutty flavor. The chipotle presence quickly exerts itself as the liquid warms. This pepper taste lingers for a long time on the palette after each sip, especially in the back of the mouth.

Although I couldn't drink pint after pint of this interesting ale, I do appreciate the creativity inherent in the recipe. The chipotle flavor is not overpowering and is quite interesting. I will purchase this brew again and have already started thinking about fun food pairings. (1,037 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +5%

I've had this bottle for a few months and was waiting until I was in the mood for something different.

Poured a dark orange / amber color, hazy, with a head and fading into minimal lacing with in a minute or two (probably a result of the oils from the peppers).

Smelled sweet and malty, clean with a very slight hint of something but if I didn't know there was peppers in this I wouldn't have been able to pick it out as such.

The taste was immediately malty sweet with hints of caramel and almost zero hops. The pepper taste came across as a light smoky flavor in the after taste. Very nicely balanced with the sweetness of the beer. The body of the beer seemed a bit thick and syrupy but it went very well with the smokiness. This beer would go great with pulled pork or any BBQ.

Very nice beer. I'd buy this again specifically to drink with a BBQ meal. Rogue once again pulls out a different, fantastic beer. (923 characters)

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales