1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chipotle AleChipotle Ale

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,189 | Reviews: 681 | Show All Ratings:
msfoster77

4.88/5  rDev +36.7%

This is my first chipotle beer and as such I didn't know what to expect.

The beers pours a golden orange color with a thick frothy head.It smells malty and piny. It tastes like a good beer with the malts coming through and subtle hops. The chipotles hit you at the end of the beer after you swallow. I slight spice builds into a nice heat with every gulp. This beer is a must if you want to try something new and different. I really enjoyed it.

02-16-2011 20:27:14 | More by msfoster77
CaptMaelstrom

Tennessee

4.15/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Quite opaque, bronze/copper color. Minimal lacing/head.

Smells more malty than hoppy, you can detect a bit of peppery/spicy heat.

Perhaps a bit biased, as I'm enjoying this with arroz con pollo, but I believe this beer to be quite complex and well-balanced. The first wave is a little cinnamon sweet, you get the bready/toasty maltness, followed quickly with the warmth of the cinnamon and something like cardamom. The spice flavors seem well blended, like the beer has been aged or something. Lots of after-tastes.. ham/bacon, more spices/herbs, licorice perhaps.

Surprisingly light. Like the beer turns into vapor when it hits your tongue. Quite refreshing.

Overall, a solid entry into the spiced/herbal beers from Rogue. Worth a try.

03-28-2013 00:19:38 | More by CaptMaelstrom
kamiller

Missouri

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a nice amber color with a one finger off white head. Smells of sweet malt, I can't pick up any spices, but nonetheless a pleasant smell. It has a very subtle spice with a malty sweetness, leaves a spicy warmness. The mouthfeel is smooth, almost no carbonation. It is a pretty drinkable beer, after my first glass I started to feel the spice. I probably wouldn't drink more than one, but I had a 25oz bottle so I didn't have much choice. I will say that I was hoping for something with a little more spice, this is a very subtle.

03-31-2006 23:45:10 | More by kamiller
mochunk

4.05/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I may have chilled it a bit too much since as usual, I procrastinated on it's purchase and quickly tossed it in the freezer. But I'm hungry as hell and I told myself I'd taste the first glass or so before actually pairing the food to get both impressions.

A not so gentle pour lends to a rich brown ale with a nice but quickly dissapating off white head, laces nicely. Smells of lightly toasted malts. Chocolate and coffee undertones with a slight possibly citrus hop.

A mouthful of medium bodied brew delights the tongue with roasted malts. Definite Chocolate, maybe carameled coffee. I'd say I can't really pick up any spice in it, perhaps it's too cold. I'm really trying to taste something else in there, I suppose it might be the smoked jalepenos it specifies, very coyly. It has a familiar Rogue slightly bitter hop to it, but they are not overpowering and quite subtle. This is quite well balanced, only the smoked flavor dominates, a bit of alcohol warming, but that could just be my extremely empty stomach. Ahh! The spice is starting to cut through, definitely biting on the tongue after a few minutes now, excellent.

This didn't pair very well with the Chile Con Queso I had, except the spices. It kept my mouth ablaze which I love, but the smoked flavor was dominating too much. might go better with a meat dish of some sort, but I would never know... Alone, it's a very interesting and tasty offering, unique and worth a try once in awhile, just not very drinkable in quantities.

05-06-2006 02:45:47 | More by mochunk
blakereik

Nebraska

4.3/5  rDev +20.4%

This is better than other chili beers, the fact that they are using roasted Jalapeños rather than raw makes a big difference, the pepper is subtle and does not overwhelm the decent ale that it is layered into. There are only smoky overtones noticed at first, as the temperature of the beer rises the pepper is more noticeable.

05-09-2011 13:49:17 | More by blakereik
recoveringmormon

Vermont

4.15/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Agreed that it's not the chile beer with the most heat; that's because it tastes like actual chipotle peppers. Smooth and mildly hoppy nose, moderate carbonation, with warming chipotle finish. I would argue that the spicier beers are more of a novelty, whereas this one is more genuinely tasty and drinkable. If you like that kind of thing, of course, it's not for everyone.

08-17-2013 01:42:07 | More by recoveringmormon
xforce

4.13/5  rDev +15.7%

22 oz bomber

nice orangy-amber color, with a great aroma of smoke and pepper. good mouthfeel, not too thin, but a slight dryness. flavor has a wonderful smoke up front with a clean spicy finish. good malt flavors linger in the background with a subtle sweetness. not much hop character to speak of, with the peppers and all. fantastic beer. the smoke flavor is great, and from what i understand, it's all from the smoked peppers, no smoked malt. one of my all time favorite beverages

08-05-2007 20:24:01 | More by xforce
beabear

2.73/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours a brownish-orange color with a small cream-colored head. Even just from looking at it, I can tell the carbonation is really vigorous. Not the most attractive color.

Smell: The spiciness isn't as pronounced as you'd think, though it's definitely there. The most prominent smell is clearly smoke. I'm not getting any hops or malt.

Taste: It's like sticking your head in a chimney. So much smokiness and spiciness that it can easily become overwhelming. Personally, while I can appreciate how different this brew is, I'm not sure if I enjoy it.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Ever had a shot of hot sauce? Did you enjoy the lingering taste in your mouth? If not, this might not be the beer for you. In terms of drinkability, I'm not sure if I can even finish one.

I'm confused. I had this beer a year or two ago and I don't remember it being anywhere near this overwhelming. Maybe I got a bad batch? I have no idea.

08-01-2008 03:06:27 | More by beabear
Pmazz19

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A - Cloudy, light orange color. Nice head about 2 fingers high with decent retention.

S - Smell is almost all chipotle, spicy with a faint hint of malt in the background.

T - Very interesting, lingering spice followed by a light malt a very light hop character

M - Dry, medium carbonation. Kind of feels like its leaving a coating on my mouth

D - This is definitely not a beer I'd drink on a regular basis but as an occasional oddity its not bad. I found the taste to be very interesting although not that refreshing and it definitely did not leave me wanting more. I had it with steak tacos which turned out to be a great pairing. I'll probably drink this again but not in the near future.

03-28-2009 17:22:42 | More by Pmazz19
Aaron58

3.23/5  rDev -9.5%

Picked this one up from a new store in town, saw it advertised and had to try it.

22oz. poured a very good looking amber color with a nice head, although it didnt retain very well.

Aroma was lacking, i did pick up a slight pepper scent. When I tasted it I was blown away. Ive never had a beer like this before and at first i was a little put off by the flavor. You can really taste the chipotle flavor. The more i drank of this beer, the more i appreciated it. Overall, I probably wouldnt go out of my way for it, but its a good beer, and I would drink it again.

02-10-2008 02:56:10 | More by Aaron58
recons54

Maine

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance -When I poured it into my pint glass it appeared to have a copper color to it and displayed a decent size cream colored head.

Smell - Slight smoke and pepper smell to my nose.

Taste - To my palate it had a slight spice beginning which continued into the finish. Hints of pepper/jalapeño/smoke.

Mouth feel - Smooth start with a carbonated finish (may be the spices).

Drinkability - I liked this beer overall, but I like spicy foods. I actually enjoyed this while eating food that had been smoked all day, which could have prepared my taste buds for it.

04-05-2009 23:07:49 | More by recons54
JoeMertens

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

A- Pour is cloudy with a red hue, slightly cloudy

S- Lots of smoke on the nose, no hops or malt detected. Smells like an Islay scotch, peated. Slight hint of spicy jalapeno tang.

T- Thin taste, once the smoke and mild heat fades (rapidly), the beer has no finish. Dominantly smoked flavor, as with the nose. Would not know it was from a chipotle unless I was told so.

M- Very light and highly carbonated. Like drinking a pilsner.

D- Enjoyable for one or two at a BBQ or something, would not recommend more than that, simply not interesting enough.

04-03-2010 18:40:38 | More by JoeMertens
EvanJohnson

Connecticut

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

This is a great flavored beer. I've had a few chili pepper inspired beers in the past and usually they are over the top. This one is right on. You get a nice and very distinct chipotle flavor. That said it doesn't overpower the nice clean underlying ale. This would be a great beer to mix in to a tasting due to its distinctness. I had it paired with some local cheeses and it was fantastic. This isn't an every night beer but a great one to mix it up a bit.

04-20-2013 00:46:14 | More by EvanJohnson
Oktoberfest

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

This beer is all about subtlety. There is no chili pepper floating inside the bottle but the chipotle presence is there nonetheless, lurking around under the surface. Peppery and smoky but not overwhelmingly so with a malt sweetness beneath. Pours a clear amber and carries a unique, not unpleasant aroma.

The first thing my wife and I both thought was how to pair this with food as this seems a good choice for a broad range of meals. It's not an everyday beer nor is this a big beer (especially served as we did it right after the Imperial IPA. What were we thinking?) but a solid experience and one I wouldn't mind to repeat. Try it if you're curious. It's not THAT out there.

03-26-2006 23:41:42 | More by Oktoberfest
trouserbat

3.6/5  rDev +0.8%

It poured out a nice red-tinted, hazy oak, with a thick reddish head. It smelled like roasted peppers, caramel, and (bready) yeast. While I could taste hops, they were just a foundation for the roasted chipotles and malt. And this is a malty beer, not sweet, but a little thicker than I had expected. More importantly: it has a heavy roasted chipotle flavor, though very little heat. Instead, the peppers give a great roasted / smoky flavor. This beer would be wonderful with a big Southwestern meal.

I'm not sure how typical this beer is for the style. While I was expecting a crisp, spicy pale ale, I was pleasantly surprised by the smoky, roasted taste.

04-15-2006 23:53:32 | More by trouserbat
murphyzd

3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

I can't say this is my favorite brew, but I didn't dislike it.
The beer has an amber color with a decent head.
S: I could smell the Chipotle pepper and smokiness in the aroma. Being sensitive to anything with a hot pepper in it....I was a bit....tentative.
T: I could taste the pepper and was grateful this was well balanced by the malt. I can't say I like the idea of my beer having a spicy aspect - but I can respect Rogues offering.
M: Medium mouth feel, crisp on the palate.
D: I enjoyed it for what it is. My boyfriend loved it. I'll go back to my IPAs and let him have the spice. :)

06-11-2010 12:37:08 | More by murphyzd
thenewflesh

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

bought this one in a bomber for $6, always had wanted to try a chile beer.

A: looks good, pours with a moderate amount of head that doesn't last long. pretty much expected considering the peppers.

S: a little funky, almost a put-off. once familiar with the taste, not noticeable.

T: taste is very good, starts with a regular ale taste and finishes with a spicy kick. it could really stand for a bit more alcohol and spice, but still very flavorful.

M: best part of the beer. i like the low amount of malts, so when you let it sit on the tongue you can taste the peppers considerably more.

D: drinkable, but definitely not a session beer. a nicer opener to stronger beers or as many others have said, with a meal. probably wouldn't buy it again, but i did enjoy it.

02-03-2011 04:02:34 | More by thenewflesh
travpard

2.3/5  rDev -35.6%

A- Nice Amber color

S- I did not notice any chipotle smell after pouring although it had did have a pleasant aroma.

T- I agree that the taste is similar to a mild amber ale upfront. Definately felt some heat in the finish, which was nice and not too overpowering.

M- good mouthfeel

D- I am glad I tried it, but I don't think I will buy it again. I like spicy foods, but not a big fan of spicy beers.

10-26-2007 14:19:29 | More by travpard
bytor

Delaware

1.85/5  rDev -48.2%

A- dark brown with some amber pushing through at the sides. Nice fluffy head.

S- peppery slightly yeasty.

T- Awful. I really didn't expect this from Rogue as I love most of their beers. Almost no chipotle but way too much black pepper. couldn't pick out much because the black pepper was just too overwhelming.

M- Thin not much else because this was definitely a beer pour.

I have a good amount of experience using this pepper both whole and in powder form and let me tell you the flavor just wasn't there. I am very disappointed

03-30-2009 03:53:21 | More by bytor
starvinbarley

3.08/5  rDev -13.7%

Appearance out of the pour was a dark amber. Aroma held malt and smokey spice. Taste was typical ale with distinct smokey pepper. Unique beer but the smokey chipotle flavor paired with a typical ale turned out distinct yet not tastey. Praise Rogue for originality.

04-23-2009 03:30:46 | More by starvinbarley
Jameyd33

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Rusty amber in color. Smells like an average beer. Very smooth; subtle hints of pepper. Not very hot, but you can taste the spice. Was hoping for something a little more spicey but this is definitely an above average beer. Would love to eat a burrito with this one.

12-30-2009 21:38:02 | More by Jameyd33
DrDonbert

New Hampshire

3.5/5  rDev -2%

Served from a growler into a pilsner glass.

Deep copper color, very good head retention. Couldn't smell any chipoltle or chile, but then again I guess it's not supposed to be a burrito in a bottle. Subdued hop aroma. Tasted like a quality, but pretty standard, pale ale. A bit bready, a bit of caramel. No dominant hop bitterness, which allowed the chile flavor to come through. The spice is extremely faint and only evident at the finish. Mouthfeel was pretty standard. High marks for drinkability, which I wasn't expecting from what I hoped would be a spicy beer. The growler went down pretty easy.

Looks like a pale ale, smells like a pale ale, and but for the slightest hint of chile, tastes like one too. It's a good beer, but not at all what I was hoping for.

Serving type: growler

06-19-2010 20:13:07 | More by DrDonbert
wfpalm

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from bomber bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark, rust orange in colour with about a finger of slightly off-white head that disappears after a few moments.

S: Nose is mainly of malt, with faint smoke scents in the background.

T: Strong malt flavour, with some spiciness up front, followed by a dry finish which holds the smokiness and slight bit of fresh, hot pepper.

M: Felt kinda thin to be honest.

D/O: Pretty enjoyable beer. The smokiness and pepper make it worthwhile.

03-23-2011 00:33:02 | More by wfpalm
YakManDoo

1.3/5  rDev -63.6%

This is the first Rogue I have ever hated. The beer poured a very average reddish-orange with a head to match - lightly colored. The nose however was very disenchanting with a smoky yet unappetizing overripe fruitiness. The taste was spicy and downright wretched like an infected batch of homebrew...sour, spicy and smoky.

I don't understand how this one left the brewery. Maybe it's the ultimate in acquired taste, but I poured half of the bomber down the sink...such a pity.

08-16-2006 00:48:37 | More by YakManDoo
sever

Arizona

1.58/5  rDev -55.7%

I saw this bottle and I thought " Oh man that must be awful!", but since I shop for beer at a discount store, it would be stupid not to try it when a 22oz bottle is only $2.29. Right?

No. Not right. Becuase this beer is gross. I thought about it, but It seems like no matter what mood your in, or what you're eating, this beer would always be weird. And gross. I really tried to like it. I poured it in a glass. If you're not paying attention the front end you get is okay. But then that aftertaste kicks in, and just keeps on trucking.

It really feels like a good beer under all of it. The ingredients they list on the label are high end, and I feel like if this beer wasn't trying so hard to be different it would be good. It's sort of full-bodied, and it has this cool toastiness like some of the best red ales have. It smells good, courtesy of the hops. On the first tip, I really appreciated the body and spice of the beer. It's winter, I'm cold. It had a fall warming ale sort of thing going. But after that first wash over your tounge it begins to go downhill. The hops and body and flavor drain away. At the last tail end of the aftertaste, after all the fresh beer flavor is gone, you're left with only weird smoky flavor. No fresh hoppy goodness for it to float around in. It's strange. I like chipotle flavor and eat lots of food with it, and I like lots of really weird unconventional beers( Bongwater, Scuttlebutt, Tutti Frutti, tons.) So this beer should be a shoe-in, but nope.
This beer is unique and you might even enjoy it if it caught you in the right mood, but you'll never drink much of it.

You might end up doing what I did: pour half down the drain. Seriously. After 1 glass I couldn't stand it. If you're smart: You'll avoid opening it in the first place. Look here, and see that some people even like this stuff and are willing to trade for it. Go figure.
Different strokes for different folks eh? Apparently some people like smoky, weird beer that doesn't make any sense.
I wished I'd traded mine. for anything. whoops!

The bottom line:
The only reason you should drink this is if you hate beer and you only want the alcohol.

12-13-2007 07:24:52 | More by sever