1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chipotle AleChipotle Ale

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,188 | Reviews: 681 | Show All Ratings:
recons54

Maine

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance -When I poured it into my pint glass it appeared to have a copper color to it and displayed a decent size cream colored head.

Smell - Slight smoke and pepper smell to my nose.

Taste - To my palate it had a slight spice beginning which continued into the finish. Hints of pepper/jalapeño/smoke.

Mouth feel - Smooth start with a carbonated finish (may be the spices).

Drinkability - I liked this beer overall, but I like spicy foods. I actually enjoyed this while eating food that had been smoked all day, which could have prepared my taste buds for it.

04-05-2009 23:07:49 | More by recons54
JoeMertens

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

A- Pour is cloudy with a red hue, slightly cloudy

S- Lots of smoke on the nose, no hops or malt detected. Smells like an Islay scotch, peated. Slight hint of spicy jalapeno tang.

T- Thin taste, once the smoke and mild heat fades (rapidly), the beer has no finish. Dominantly smoked flavor, as with the nose. Would not know it was from a chipotle unless I was told so.

M- Very light and highly carbonated. Like drinking a pilsner.

D- Enjoyable for one or two at a BBQ or something, would not recommend more than that, simply not interesting enough.

04-03-2010 18:40:38 | More by JoeMertens
EvanJohnson

Connecticut

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

This is a great flavored beer. I've had a few chili pepper inspired beers in the past and usually they are over the top. This one is right on. You get a nice and very distinct chipotle flavor. That said it doesn't overpower the nice clean underlying ale. This would be a great beer to mix in to a tasting due to its distinctness. I had it paired with some local cheeses and it was fantastic. This isn't an every night beer but a great one to mix it up a bit.

04-20-2013 00:46:14 | More by EvanJohnson
Oktoberfest

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

This beer is all about subtlety. There is no chili pepper floating inside the bottle but the chipotle presence is there nonetheless, lurking around under the surface. Peppery and smoky but not overwhelmingly so with a malt sweetness beneath. Pours a clear amber and carries a unique, not unpleasant aroma.

The first thing my wife and I both thought was how to pair this with food as this seems a good choice for a broad range of meals. It's not an everyday beer nor is this a big beer (especially served as we did it right after the Imperial IPA. What were we thinking?) but a solid experience and one I wouldn't mind to repeat. Try it if you're curious. It's not THAT out there.

03-26-2006 23:41:42 | More by Oktoberfest
trouserbat

3.6/5  rDev +0.8%

It poured out a nice red-tinted, hazy oak, with a thick reddish head. It smelled like roasted peppers, caramel, and (bready) yeast. While I could taste hops, they were just a foundation for the roasted chipotles and malt. And this is a malty beer, not sweet, but a little thicker than I had expected. More importantly: it has a heavy roasted chipotle flavor, though very little heat. Instead, the peppers give a great roasted / smoky flavor. This beer would be wonderful with a big Southwestern meal.

I'm not sure how typical this beer is for the style. While I was expecting a crisp, spicy pale ale, I was pleasantly surprised by the smoky, roasted taste.

04-15-2006 23:53:32 | More by trouserbat
murphyzd

3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

I can't say this is my favorite brew, but I didn't dislike it.
The beer has an amber color with a decent head.
S: I could smell the Chipotle pepper and smokiness in the aroma. Being sensitive to anything with a hot pepper in it....I was a bit....tentative.
T: I could taste the pepper and was grateful this was well balanced by the malt. I can't say I like the idea of my beer having a spicy aspect - but I can respect Rogues offering.
M: Medium mouth feel, crisp on the palate.
D: I enjoyed it for what it is. My boyfriend loved it. I'll go back to my IPAs and let him have the spice. :)

06-11-2010 12:37:08 | More by murphyzd
thenewflesh

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

bought this one in a bomber for $6, always had wanted to try a chile beer.

A: looks good, pours with a moderate amount of head that doesn't last long. pretty much expected considering the peppers.

S: a little funky, almost a put-off. once familiar with the taste, not noticeable.

T: taste is very good, starts with a regular ale taste and finishes with a spicy kick. it could really stand for a bit more alcohol and spice, but still very flavorful.

M: best part of the beer. i like the low amount of malts, so when you let it sit on the tongue you can taste the peppers considerably more.

D: drinkable, but definitely not a session beer. a nicer opener to stronger beers or as many others have said, with a meal. probably wouldn't buy it again, but i did enjoy it.

02-03-2011 04:02:34 | More by thenewflesh
travpard

2.3/5  rDev -35.6%

A- Nice Amber color

S- I did not notice any chipotle smell after pouring although it had did have a pleasant aroma.

T- I agree that the taste is similar to a mild amber ale upfront. Definately felt some heat in the finish, which was nice and not too overpowering.

M- good mouthfeel

D- I am glad I tried it, but I don't think I will buy it again. I like spicy foods, but not a big fan of spicy beers.

10-26-2007 14:19:29 | More by travpard
bytor

Delaware

1.85/5  rDev -48.2%

A- dark brown with some amber pushing through at the sides. Nice fluffy head.

S- peppery slightly yeasty.

T- Awful. I really didn't expect this from Rogue as I love most of their beers. Almost no chipotle but way too much black pepper. couldn't pick out much because the black pepper was just too overwhelming.

M- Thin not much else because this was definitely a beer pour.

I have a good amount of experience using this pepper both whole and in powder form and let me tell you the flavor just wasn't there. I am very disappointed

03-30-2009 03:53:21 | More by bytor
starvinbarley

3.08/5  rDev -13.7%

Appearance out of the pour was a dark amber. Aroma held malt and smokey spice. Taste was typical ale with distinct smokey pepper. Unique beer but the smokey chipotle flavor paired with a typical ale turned out distinct yet not tastey. Praise Rogue for originality.

04-23-2009 03:30:46 | More by starvinbarley
Jameyd33

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Rusty amber in color. Smells like an average beer. Very smooth; subtle hints of pepper. Not very hot, but you can taste the spice. Was hoping for something a little more spicey but this is definitely an above average beer. Would love to eat a burrito with this one.

12-30-2009 21:38:02 | More by Jameyd33
DrDonbert

New Hampshire

3.5/5  rDev -2%

Served from a growler into a pilsner glass.

Deep copper color, very good head retention. Couldn't smell any chipoltle or chile, but then again I guess it's not supposed to be a burrito in a bottle. Subdued hop aroma. Tasted like a quality, but pretty standard, pale ale. A bit bready, a bit of caramel. No dominant hop bitterness, which allowed the chile flavor to come through. The spice is extremely faint and only evident at the finish. Mouthfeel was pretty standard. High marks for drinkability, which I wasn't expecting from what I hoped would be a spicy beer. The growler went down pretty easy.

Looks like a pale ale, smells like a pale ale, and but for the slightest hint of chile, tastes like one too. It's a good beer, but not at all what I was hoping for.

Serving type: growler

06-19-2010 20:13:07 | More by DrDonbert
wfpalm

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from bomber bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark, rust orange in colour with about a finger of slightly off-white head that disappears after a few moments.

S: Nose is mainly of malt, with faint smoke scents in the background.

T: Strong malt flavour, with some spiciness up front, followed by a dry finish which holds the smokiness and slight bit of fresh, hot pepper.

M: Felt kinda thin to be honest.

D/O: Pretty enjoyable beer. The smokiness and pepper make it worthwhile.

03-23-2011 00:33:02 | More by wfpalm
YakManDoo

1.3/5  rDev -63.6%

This is the first Rogue I have ever hated. The beer poured a very average reddish-orange with a head to match - lightly colored. The nose however was very disenchanting with a smoky yet unappetizing overripe fruitiness. The taste was spicy and downright wretched like an infected batch of homebrew...sour, spicy and smoky.

I don't understand how this one left the brewery. Maybe it's the ultimate in acquired taste, but I poured half of the bomber down the sink...such a pity.

08-16-2006 00:48:37 | More by YakManDoo
sever

Arizona

1.58/5  rDev -55.7%

I saw this bottle and I thought " Oh man that must be awful!", but since I shop for beer at a discount store, it would be stupid not to try it when a 22oz bottle is only $2.29. Right?

No. Not right. Becuase this beer is gross. I thought about it, but It seems like no matter what mood your in, or what you're eating, this beer would always be weird. And gross. I really tried to like it. I poured it in a glass. If you're not paying attention the front end you get is okay. But then that aftertaste kicks in, and just keeps on trucking.

It really feels like a good beer under all of it. The ingredients they list on the label are high end, and I feel like if this beer wasn't trying so hard to be different it would be good. It's sort of full-bodied, and it has this cool toastiness like some of the best red ales have. It smells good, courtesy of the hops. On the first tip, I really appreciated the body and spice of the beer. It's winter, I'm cold. It had a fall warming ale sort of thing going. But after that first wash over your tounge it begins to go downhill. The hops and body and flavor drain away. At the last tail end of the aftertaste, after all the fresh beer flavor is gone, you're left with only weird smoky flavor. No fresh hoppy goodness for it to float around in. It's strange. I like chipotle flavor and eat lots of food with it, and I like lots of really weird unconventional beers( Bongwater, Scuttlebutt, Tutti Frutti, tons.) So this beer should be a shoe-in, but nope.
This beer is unique and you might even enjoy it if it caught you in the right mood, but you'll never drink much of it.

You might end up doing what I did: pour half down the drain. Seriously. After 1 glass I couldn't stand it. If you're smart: You'll avoid opening it in the first place. Look here, and see that some people even like this stuff and are willing to trade for it. Go figure.
Different strokes for different folks eh? Apparently some people like smoky, weird beer that doesn't make any sense.
I wished I'd traded mine. for anything. whoops!

The bottom line:
The only reason you should drink this is if you hate beer and you only want the alcohol.

12-13-2007 07:24:52 | More by sever
armstrnj

4.43/5  rDev +24.1%

Just want to start by saying that a Chipotle pepper is one of my favorite flavors, on/in anything. So naturally I was excited about this beer.

A- Even the color looks smoky, nice rust orange cloudy. Foreshadows the flavor.

S- Smells just like I hoped it would. Pepper aroma thats not over powering.

T- I don't know what a "perfect" chili beer tastes like but this will work for me. Great southwest spiced flavor with a hint of malt. Not overpowering or spicy but just dang tasty.

M- Good carbonation and just a touch dry, which works with the pepper flavors

D- I could see how after a few the taste would get old but I enjoyed the heck out of the one I had. Would be great with a southwest dish of comparable flavors.

Overall great beer and a different taste. This beer exceeded what I thought a chipotle beer would be like.

02-03-2011 19:32:13 | More by armstrnj
Abrandonship

Nevada

4.45/5  rDev +24.6%

Appearance:
I poured this beer directly from the bottle into red wine glass. The liquid was a reddish copper color and the head was a very pale tan. Just a shade off of white.

Smell:
The malt in this beer is very noticeable. The smell that the chipotle gives off is very faint. It's as if you walked into a room where chipotles where on display, rather than holding one up to your nose.

Taste:
The taste of this beer is very unique. The hop flavor is almost inevident, but chipotle fills that hole very nicely. It isn't a strong chile flavor though (scoville-phobes need not avoid this brew). The chipotle taste is not overbearing and definitely not spicy.

Mouth feel:
Drinking this beer gives me the feeling of having eaten a very spicy meal about 45 minutes ago. I just have a sort of a very gentle tingling in the gums and palate. I'm not sure I described that correctly, but it's a very enjoyable feeling.

Overall:
This is a very nice beer and a unique one to experience. This is my first chile beer, and I hope to explore many more offerings in the genre.

FULL DISCLOSURE: Though I wouldn't even call this spicy, I do enjoy really spicy food and the feeling you get from it.

09-09-2012 22:40:22 | More by Abrandonship
skifreaky

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

I wasn't completely sure what to expect when I had this beer, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I had to take a couple sips of the beer before I could really notice the subtle taste of the peppers, but it adds a nice little kick to the end of your drink. Paired well with a buffalo chicken pizza.

12-22-2012 20:24:23 | More by skifreaky
leodaddy

1.6/5  rDev -55.2%

Rogue Ales can typically do no wrong, not the best craft brew in America by any means but holds it's own with the larger mass producers.

This beer however got a split decision from me. The color and rich head never disappoints with Rogue and the feel of it in your mouth and over your tongue is fulfilling not at all a watered down brew. As for the taste, all I could taste was liquid smoke flavoring. Those of you in the restaurant business know this food additive that gives an artificial "smokey" flavor to meats or sauces. It made this beer undrinkable as a stand alone. However I see the point some other reviewers have made about drinking it with smoked meats or spicy foods. After the first sip I decided to use the rest in a marinade for some pork tenderloin and the result was quite pleasant.

So in conclusion I would suggest never setting this bottle to your lips but instead using it sparingly in cooking recipes.

JC, Grand Rapids, MI

08-16-2006 01:02:48 | More by leodaddy
FishinDave07

3.95/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: Beautiful light-amber color. Great head retention and lacing.

Smell: Vegetal(pepper) and smokey

Taste: Initial flavor is slightly sweet to peppery. very balanced with a lingering smoked pepper taste. I would've wanted some "heat."

Mouthfeel: decent, nothing to write home about.

Drinkability: Pass me another one, i could go through a sixer easy.

Final Thoughts: I would want a stronger attack on the nose, some heat, and a more fuller mouthfeel.

03-11-2010 00:21:20 | More by FishinDave07
nikdistler

4.38/5  rDev +22.7%

Great brew for the spring. Goes very well will salsa or any mexican dish for that matter. Complex flavoring, tends to get bolder the warmer it is as expected. Not alot of head, about 1/4 an inch depending on your pour. I would recomend this beer to everyone, a great treat!

05-19-2010 23:47:07 | More by nikdistler