Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 693 | Hads: 1,374
2.98/5  rDev -17.2%

pours a light red with a thick tan head, and lots of lacing as this one drinks.
initially, I get a whiff of smokiness which reminds me a bit of pipe tobacco and leather. not unpleasant, but not what I was expecting.
the taste that hits you up front is definitely the BBQ-like smokey flavors, but I'm not getting much heat like you would from a hot pepper (which, perhaps, is not really the intention here). malty sweetness starts to come through as this one finishes, very little carbonation and a decent smooth mouthfeel.
I wasn't expecting to make this beer something I'd drink on the regular, but I was hoping for maybe a fun/gimmick type of brew that would be fun to buy every once and awhile to pair with appropriate cuisines. I think the smokey flavors don't really blend well with the malt and hops of an ale, and are better suited for a porter or stout. Definitely not a bad beer, I drank it all and enjoyed it for the most part, but not something I'd go out of my way to drink again. (992 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

This is a pretty one – a cool amber with flecks of red. The head is thin, bubbly, and disappears quickly. Taking my anosmia into account, I have been told the smell is smoky, with hints of chili pepper and malt.

The taste is initially sweet, and surprisingly full, followed by a robust smokiness. Subtle hints of chili linger as the smokiness disappears. Another sip confirms this progression from sweet to smoky. The aftertaste showcases this beer’s distinct chili flavor, although the spiciness is not as ‘in your face’ as you might expect.

Carbonation is light. Mouthfeel is full, but I wouldn’t quite describe it as earthy or chewy. This beer really surprised me- I was expecting a rather unique, novelty brew- much to the contrary, I have discovered a sweet and smoky beer with an unexpectedly high drinkability. Good with ribs? (845 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

This lightly spicy, heavily smoky beer makes a unique session brew. With not too much spiciness it is suprisingly drinkable, rather than a novelty, and the smoky chipotles give it enough of a unique kick to keep it interesting all night. There is a certain medicinal quality to the smoky flavor that is noticable in the odor and taste, and it is a little too overpowering to make this a perfect beer. (400 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +34.7%

This is my first chipotle beer and as such I didn't know what to expect.

The beers pours a golden orange color with a thick frothy head.It smells malty and piny. It tastes like a good beer with the malts coming through and subtle hops. The chipotles hit you at the end of the beer after you swallow. I slight spice builds into a nice heat with every gulp. This beer is a must if you want to try something new and different. I really enjoyed it. (446 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +23.1%

Appearance:
I poured this beer directly from the bottle into red wine glass. The liquid was a reddish copper color and the head was a very pale tan. Just a shade off of white.

Smell:
The malt in this beer is very noticeable. The smell that the chipotle gives off is very faint. It's as if you walked into a room where chipotles where on display, rather than holding one up to your nose.

Taste:
The taste of this beer is very unique. The hop flavor is almost inevident, but chipotle fills that hole very nicely. It isn't a strong chile flavor though (scoville-phobes need not avoid this brew). The chipotle taste is not overbearing and definitely not spicy.

Mouth feel:
Drinking this beer gives me the feeling of having eaten a very spicy meal about 45 minutes ago. I just have a sort of a very gentle tingling in the gums and palate. I'm not sure I described that correctly, but it's a very enjoyable feeling.

Overall:
This is a very nice beer and a unique one to experience. This is my first chile beer, and I hope to explore many more offerings in the genre.

FULL DISCLOSURE: Though I wouldn't even call this spicy, I do enjoy really spicy food and the feeling you get from it. (1,185 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a nice amber color with a one finger off white head. Smells of sweet malt, I can't pick up any spices, but nonetheless a pleasant smell. It has a very subtle spice with a malty sweetness, leaves a spicy warmness. The mouthfeel is smooth, almost no carbonation. It is a pretty drinkable beer, after my first glass I started to feel the spice. I probably wouldn't drink more than one, but I had a 25oz bottle so I didn't have much choice. I will say that I was hoping for something with a little more spice, this is a very subtle. (534 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Quite opaque, bronze/copper color. Minimal lacing/head.

Smells more malty than hoppy, you can detect a bit of peppery/spicy heat.

Perhaps a bit biased, as I'm enjoying this with arroz con pollo, but I believe this beer to be quite complex and well-balanced. The first wave is a little cinnamon sweet, you get the bready/toasty maltness, followed quickly with the warmth of the cinnamon and something like cardamom. The spice flavors seem well blended, like the beer has been aged or something. Lots of after-tastes.. ham/bacon, more spices/herbs, licorice perhaps.

Surprisingly light. Like the beer turns into vapor when it hits your tongue. Quite refreshing.

Overall, a solid entry into the spiced/herbal beers from Rogue. Worth a try. (740 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +20%

This is better than other chili beers, the fact that they are using roasted Jalapeños rather than raw makes a big difference, the pepper is subtle and does not overwhelm the decent ale that it is layered into. There are only smoky overtones noticed at first, as the temperature of the beer rises the pepper is more noticeable. (327 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Agreed that it's not the chile beer with the most heat; that's because it tastes like actual chipotle peppers. Smooth and mildly hoppy nose, moderate carbonation, with warming chipotle finish. I would argue that the spicier beers are more of a novelty, whereas this one is more genuinely tasty and drinkable. If you like that kind of thing, of course, it's not for everyone. (374 characters)

Poured from a bottle to a snifter.

Nice head, smells smokey.. Real smokey. Taste is what I expect. Smokey smokey. Not much heat maybe a little on the finish, it was a good tasting beer but I was looking for some heat not so much smoke flavor. Might buy again and pair it with food. (283 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I may have chilled it a bit too much since as usual, I procrastinated on it's purchase and quickly tossed it in the freezer. But I'm hungry as hell and I told myself I'd taste the first glass or so before actually pairing the food to get both impressions.

A not so gentle pour lends to a rich brown ale with a nice but quickly dissapating off white head, laces nicely. Smells of lightly toasted malts. Chocolate and coffee undertones with a slight possibly citrus hop.

A mouthful of medium bodied brew delights the tongue with roasted malts. Definite Chocolate, maybe carameled coffee. I'd say I can't really pick up any spice in it, perhaps it's too cold. I'm really trying to taste something else in there, I suppose it might be the smoked jalepenos it specifies, very coyly. It has a familiar Rogue slightly bitter hop to it, but they are not overpowering and quite subtle. This is quite well balanced, only the smoked flavor dominates, a bit of alcohol warming, but that could just be my extremely empty stomach. Ahh! The spice is starting to cut through, definitely biting on the tongue after a few minutes now, excellent.

This didn't pair very well with the Chile Con Queso I had, except the spices. It kept my mouth ablaze which I love, but the smoked flavor was dominating too much. might go better with a meat dish of some sort, but I would never know... Alone, it's a very interesting and tasty offering, unique and worth a try once in awhile, just not very drinkable in quantities. (1,501 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

Picked this one up from a new store in town, saw it advertised and had to try it.

22oz. poured a very good looking amber color with a nice head, although it didnt retain very well.

Aroma was lacking, i did pick up a slight pepper scent. When I tasted it I was blown away. Ive never had a beer like this before and at first i was a little put off by the flavor. You can really taste the chipotle flavor. The more i drank of this beer, the more i appreciated it. Overall, I probably wouldnt go out of my way for it, but its a good beer, and I would drink it again. (564 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

22 oz bomber

nice orangy-amber color, with a great aroma of smoke and pepper. good mouthfeel, not too thin, but a slight dryness. flavor has a wonderful smoke up front with a clean spicy finish. good malt flavors linger in the background with a subtle sweetness. not much hop character to speak of, with the peppers and all. fantastic beer. the smoke flavor is great, and from what i understand, it's all from the smoked peppers, no smoked malt. one of my all time favorite beverages (486 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours a brownish-orange color with a small cream-colored head. Even just from looking at it, I can tell the carbonation is really vigorous. Not the most attractive color.

Smell: The spiciness isn't as pronounced as you'd think, though it's definitely there. The most prominent smell is clearly smoke. I'm not getting any hops or malt.

Taste: It's like sticking your head in a chimney. So much smokiness and spiciness that it can easily become overwhelming. Personally, while I can appreciate how different this brew is, I'm not sure if I enjoy it.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Ever had a shot of hot sauce? Did you enjoy the lingering taste in your mouth? If not, this might not be the beer for you. In terms of drinkability, I'm not sure if I can even finish one.

I'm confused. I had this beer a year or two ago and I don't remember it being anywhere near this overwhelming. Maybe I got a bad batch? I have no idea. (932 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

This is a great flavored beer. I've had a few chili pepper inspired beers in the past and usually they are over the top. This one is right on. You get a nice and very distinct chipotle flavor. That said it doesn't overpower the nice clean underlying ale. This would be a great beer to mix in to a tasting due to its distinctness. I had it paired with some local cheeses and it was fantastic. This isn't an every night beer but a great one to mix it up a bit. (458 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A - Cloudy, light orange color. Nice head about 2 fingers high with decent retention.

S - Smell is almost all chipotle, spicy with a faint hint of malt in the background.

T - Very interesting, lingering spice followed by a light malt a very light hop character

M - Dry, medium carbonation. Kind of feels like its leaving a coating on my mouth

D - This is definitely not a beer I'd drink on a regular basis but as an occasional oddity its not bad. I found the taste to be very interesting although not that refreshing and it definitely did not leave me wanting more. I had it with steak tacos which turned out to be a great pairing. I'll probably drink this again but not in the near future. (734 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Appearance -When I poured it into my pint glass it appeared to have a copper color to it and displayed a decent size cream colored head.

Smell - Slight smoke and pepper smell to my nose.

Taste - To my palate it had a slight spice beginning which continued into the finish. Hints of pepper/jalapeño/smoke.

Mouth feel - Smooth start with a carbonated finish (may be the spices).

Drinkability - I liked this beer overall, but I like spicy foods. I actually enjoyed this while eating food that had been smoked all day, which could have prepared my taste buds for it. (569 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -14.4%

A- Pour is cloudy with a red hue, slightly cloudy

S- Lots of smoke on the nose, no hops or malt detected. Smells like an Islay scotch, peated. Slight hint of spicy jalapeno tang.

T- Thin taste, once the smoke and mild heat fades (rapidly), the beer has no finish. Dominantly smoked flavor, as with the nose. Would not know it was from a chipotle unless I was told so.

M- Very light and highly carbonated. Like drinking a pilsner.

D- Enjoyable for one or two at a BBQ or something, would not recommend more than that, simply not interesting enough. (551 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

It poured out a nice red-tinted, hazy oak, with a thick reddish head. It smelled like roasted peppers, caramel, and (bready) yeast. While I could taste hops, they were just a foundation for the roasted chipotles and malt. And this is a malty beer, not sweet, but a little thicker than I had expected. More importantly: it has a heavy roasted chipotle flavor, though very little heat. Instead, the peppers give a great roasted / smoky flavor. This beer would be wonderful with a big Southwestern meal.

I'm not sure how typical this beer is for the style. While I was expecting a crisp, spicy pale ale, I was pleasantly surprised by the smoky, roasted taste. (659 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

I can't say this is my favorite brew, but I didn't dislike it.
The beer has an amber color with a decent head.
S: I could smell the Chipotle pepper and smokiness in the aroma. Being sensitive to anything with a hot pepper in it....I was a bit....tentative.
T: I could taste the pepper and was grateful this was well balanced by the malt. I can't say I like the idea of my beer having a spicy aspect - but I can respect Rogues offering.
M: Medium mouth feel, crisp on the palate.
D: I enjoyed it for what it is. My boyfriend loved it. I'll go back to my IPAs and let him have the spice. :) (590 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +7.2%

bought this one in a bomber for $6, always had wanted to try a chile beer.

A: looks good, pours with a moderate amount of head that doesn't last long. pretty much expected considering the peppers.

S: a little funky, almost a put-off. once familiar with the taste, not noticeable.

T: taste is very good, starts with a regular ale taste and finishes with a spicy kick. it could really stand for a bit more alcohol and spice, but still very flavorful.

M: best part of the beer. i like the low amount of malts, so when you let it sit on the tongue you can taste the peppers considerably more.

D: drinkable, but definitely not a session beer. a nicer opener to stronger beers or as many others have said, with a meal. probably wouldn't buy it again, but i did enjoy it. (769 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -34.4%

A- Nice Amber color

S- I did not notice any chipotle smell after pouring although it had did have a pleasant aroma.

T- I agree that the taste is similar to a mild amber ale upfront. Definately felt some heat in the finish, which was nice and not too overpowering.

M- good mouthfeel

D- I am glad I tried it, but I don't think I will buy it again. I like spicy foods, but not a big fan of spicy beers. (403 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -45.6%

A- dark brown with some amber pushing through at the sides. Nice fluffy head.

S- peppery slightly yeasty.

T- Awful. I really didn't expect this from Rogue as I love most of their beers. Almost no chipotle but way too much black pepper. couldn't pick out much because the black pepper was just too overwhelming.

M- Thin not much else because this was definitely a beer pour.

I have a good amount of experience using this pepper both whole and in powder form and let me tell you the flavor just wasn't there. I am very disappointed (533 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -15.3%

Appearance out of the pour was a dark amber. Aroma held malt and smokey spice. Taste was typical ale with distinct smokey pepper. Unique beer but the smokey chipotle flavor paired with a typical ale turned out distinct yet not tastey. Praise Rogue for originality. (264 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

Served from a growler into a pilsner glass.

Deep copper color, very good head retention. Couldn't smell any chipoltle or chile, but then again I guess it's not supposed to be a burrito in a bottle. Subdued hop aroma. Tasted like a quality, but pretty standard, pale ale. A bit bready, a bit of caramel. No dominant hop bitterness, which allowed the chile flavor to come through. The spice is extremely faint and only evident at the finish. Mouthfeel was pretty standard. High marks for drinkability, which I wasn't expecting from what I hoped would be a spicy beer. The growler went down pretty easy.

Looks like a pale ale, smells like a pale ale, and but for the slightest hint of chile, tastes like one too. It's a good beer, but not at all what I was hoping for. (767 characters)

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales