Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
HimerMan

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

22oz bottle served in the typical "default other beer glass" at the House of Brews in NYC. Split with Flannery.

We sampled this with an order of poppers, as it seemed to make sense.

Beer poured a slightly cloudy dark/deep amber with ruby highlights and aroma was a spicy/smokey kick.

Taste - big sips had big kicks, really interesting beer to drink. Not a big-hop beer, but there were hops that added to some of the lasting heat.

Definitely a must try with food, I don't know when else I would drink this beer. I wouldn't drink more than a bomber of this, but I love spicy food - so this is a great beer and brings interesting stories.

I will have this again, Cheers!

05-09-2006 02:40:24 | More by HimerMan
Psilo707

3.38/5  rDev -5.3%

To be honest this is one of the first chile beers I've actually sat down to drink and give a good review to. I understand what makes a chile-styled brew good and what makes one bad, and I have to say I was *decently* impressed by this release but not blown away.

Appearance: The appearance lacks much head but what it does have in head it comes with a good quantity of. Solidly packed white foam packs about a quarter inch above my solid clear mug, while the color itself of the brew is very, *very* standard amber in nature. Not as much carbonation as you'd expect from a chile-styled brew but it's possibly the darker color of the amber that's throwing me off a bit. Decent appearance.

Smell: Least good of this beers aspects. I'm not quite sure why either. It seems like it should have a stronger spice scent to it, or at least something that gives it more presence in the nostrils. Decent 2 and a half.

Taste: Eh, it's pretty good. There is nothing special about it really. It hits you as a chile beer would and immediately enters your flood gates with an intense feeling of herbs and spices. It does taste chipotle - I guess - but I can't say this is the kind of chipotle I'd expect from some other top notch chipotle styled alcohols. Not bad... no copper after-taste to speak of (something I'm very big on if you've seen any other my reviews) but nothing to wow me. A Solid 3 or maybe a bit more.

Mouthfeel: This is where I actually think the beer shines. I have looked at no other reviews before reviewing this so I have no idea if people agree with me. It has a great sense of creaminess to it while throwing the spices into your life instantly. It feels good going down and the drinkability is high. A+ on this one.

Overall: Not my favorite Rogue in any way, but it's alright. I've had better spice-heavy beers and even a couple of other chipotle-themed ones. At the price tag this comes with, I wouldn't recommend it, but I wouldn't call it a bad beer either. I'm sure my review will be lower than the average since there are tons of Rogue fanatics out there, but I just wasn't feeling it too much this time.

02-22-2012 01:49:21 | More by Psilo707
mschind

3.95/5  rDev +10.6%

A- Poured from a bomber into a tulip. Clear amber color with a short foamy head without much retention.

S- The malt comes through as well as the smoke from the chipotle. Hops are in the background.

T- I bought this to pair with a smoked chicken chipotle burrito and it was excellent. The chipotle spice, heat and smoke matched the burrito perfectly. Finishing the bottle was like an extension of the meal.

M- Appropriate for style. On the light side but this let's the heat come through without dominating.

O- Outstanding! I can't attest to this as a stand alone beer but this is a perfect pairing with chipotle based cuisine.

07-19-2012 01:24:53 | More by mschind
Laklimell

Washington

3.25/5  rDev -9%

05-07-2013 00:31:54 | More by Laklimell
JordonHoltzman

3.78/5  rDev +5.9%

22 ouncer with the screened label. label is nice.
a: a caramel amber color, can't see through it at all. an offwhite creamy foamy head. it retains well and leaves good lacing.
s: this ale doesnt have a burst of aroma, but i do get the smell of caramel malt, and the slightest scent of some heat.

this is a malty beer. tastes pretty good. and ah, the kick of heat from the jalapeno at the back of the throat. its not a big kick, its there, but i wish there was a little more heat to back up its name.

slightly less than medium in carbonation, this beer has a somewhat unique mouthfeel because the spice. i like it.

this isnt an ale u can throw back a few pints of, but it isn't quite a total sipper either. that is kinda what i expected and hoped for in a beer has spice. just like food, i don't want somethign i need to recover from with water and time to have another bite, but i want it to have some substantial heat.

08-31-2009 22:14:37 | More by JordonHoltzman
2xHops

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%

This is second chipotle beer I have tasted. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the first one.

I thought this one tasted not too smoky as I initially feared. As you first rink it, the smokiness isn't as apparent until after you gulped the first couple of sips. The beer's pretty easy on your palate, so it does help with the drinkability.

The mouthfeel of this beer, I thought, was slightly flat. It didn't feel as rich as I'd like out of a beer.

Drinkability really depends on whether you liked the smokiness in your beer or not. I thought I did as I love chipotle flavor, but for some reasons, I was not much of fan.

08-16-2010 02:28:58 | More by 2xHops

08-11-2014 20:44:07 | More by cbuckl14
ghebel

Iowa

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%

A - Pours a slightly cloudy dark amber / brown color with a short lived bubbly head that does leave some lacing on the glass.

S - Malt dominates: dark fruit and caramel. Earthy hops.

T - Sweet and tangy. Flavor follows the aroma profile. The chipotle seems to add minimal flavor, but it leaves a nice warm sensation in the throat well after the swallow.

M - Moderate body, tangy bite on the tongue, but finishes smooth.

D - Drinkable. I would not drink a bunch, but for something novel occasionally it is good.

Overall - About what I expected as the beer matches what is advertised on the label well.

05-08-2009 21:50:32 | More by ghebel

02-25-2012 08:58:13 | More by Jordanbryan10
unklesyd

Oregon

1.98/5  rDev -44.5%

Whew! This is the first beer I've ever sent back! And the first Rogue that I have not only not enjoyed but rather detested!

Had this on tap at the brewery. Looked very nice, deep molases-amber. Not a lot of aroma to speak of. Too bad, as it may have portended some of the terrible fury that lay within.

As the beer hit my tounge, I was reminded of a Scottish that I had brewed that had become infected. Nothing but band-aid lickin' all the way (oh, an a smoked band-aid, if that helps).

I told the 'tender about the problem and that they might want to check this out. He poured a sample and told me that, no, this is just what it is supposed to taste like. Hmmm....

At least he let me get something else.

06-27-2005 00:23:23 | More by unklesyd

4.25/5  rDev +19%

11-30-2012 00:51:30 | More by CGAR
negroobserver

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

Color is a medium brown. A bit hazy. Pour with about a half inch of white head, which dissipates quickly, but leaves a thin layer on the surface. Smells very earthy and smokey. definitely some pepper in the scent. More smokey than peppery. Tastes a little flat. Starts off like a hoppy ale. In the middle you'll find a slight sting on the tongue, which turns into a pretty powerful hoppy bitterness. The bitterness will linger in the mouth for a few seconds. The beer had pretty good body, but I personally feel that it's a little watery. Good carbonation.

Overall, I feel that the beer lacks the real "chipotle" experience. You'll start to feel the peppery flavors as you drink more of the beer, but the peppery chipotle flavor is overshadowed by the smokiness. A good beer, but not one I'm eager to try again.

GRADE: B-

michaelsmith11

09-15-2013 16:47:47 | More by michaelsmith11
MerkinMan

Georgia

Pours a cloudy copper color with a big bubbly head that diminishes to a very thin lace.

I expected the chipotle smell to be more apparent, but it was pretty faint -- just the slightly metallic character chipotle peppers have.

This beer far surpassed my expectations when it comes to taste. The chipotle character is very subtle, and the heat from the peppers makes just a subtle appearance in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is very good. This is a very velvety beer indeed.

I could drink a few of these in succession. I will buy more. This was a single.

My score would be better if not for the "below average" appearance. Everything else is much better than expected.

03-04-2008 23:26:02 | More by MerkinMan
sophisticated

3.75/5  rDev +5%

I've only had a couple of chile beers and was not sure I'd like this one. Was pleasantly surprised.

A) Nice amber with sudsy off-white head that left lots of lacing

S) Mild, but mostly of spice

T) At first like a nice malty amber ale, but then it's just the smokey and spicey flavor of chipotle. Not super spicey, just tingly and warm. At first I thought that was from the alcohol, but at 5.5%, its the spice.

MF) Medium with lots of carbonation

D) Good. I enjoyed this with tacos and it went well together. Not sure if this is my favorite style but I enjoyed this brew and would recommend it.

09-24-2009 23:48:48 | More by sophisticated
bbb099

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Pours with a moderate amount of head. Has a hazy copper color.

S - A good aroma of yeast with hints of spices.

T - First taste is mostly malt, then the smoky chipotle heat hits you. I noted a little sourness at the end.

M - Medium bodied. Maybe just a tad bit flat though.

D - I personally love the spiciness. Quite savory as it goes down.

12-20-2010 06:26:54 | More by bbb099