Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
1.98/5  rDev -44.5%

Whew! This is the first beer I've ever sent back! And the first Rogue that I have not only not enjoyed but rather detested!

Had this on tap at the brewery. Looked very nice, deep molases-amber. Not a lot of aroma to speak of. Too bad, as it may have portended some of the terrible fury that lay within.

As the beer hit my tounge, I was reminded of a Scottish that I had brewed that had become infected. Nothing but band-aid lickin' all the way (oh, an a smoked band-aid, if that helps).

I told the 'tender about the problem and that they might want to check this out. He poured a sample and told me that, no, this is just what it is supposed to taste like. Hmmm....

At least he let me get something else.

unklesyd, Jun 27, 2005

2.75/5  rDev -23%

Rosstheboss, Jan 26, 2014

CGAR, Nov 30, 2012
3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

Color is a medium brown. A bit hazy. Pour with about a half inch of white head, which dissipates quickly, but leaves a thin layer on the surface. Smells very earthy and smokey. definitely some pepper in the scent. More smokey than peppery. Tastes a little flat. Starts off like a hoppy ale. In the middle you'll find a slight sting on the tongue, which turns into a pretty powerful hoppy bitterness. The bitterness will linger in the mouth for a few seconds. The beer had pretty good body, but I personally feel that it's a little watery. Good carbonation.

Overall, I feel that the beer lacks the real "chipotle" experience. You'll start to feel the peppery flavors as you drink more of the beer, but the peppery chipotle flavor is overshadowed by the smokiness. A good beer, but not one I'm eager to try again.

GRADE: B-

negroobserver, Oct 10, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +33.1%

JJStout83, Jan 29, 2014

Pro_Magnon, Aug 05, 2014

risteardj, Jun 09, 2014

Pours a cloudy copper color with a big bubbly head that diminishes to a very thin lace.

I expected the chipotle smell to be more apparent, but it was pretty faint -- just the slightly metallic character chipotle peppers have.

This beer far surpassed my expectations when it comes to taste. The chipotle character is very subtle, and the heat from the peppers makes just a subtle appearance in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is very good. This is a very velvety beer indeed.

I could drink a few of these in succession. I will buy more. This was a single.

My score would be better if not for the "below average" appearance. Everything else is much better than expected.

MerkinMan, Mar 04, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +5%

I've only had a couple of chile beers and was not sure I'd like this one. Was pleasantly surprised.

A) Nice amber with sudsy off-white head that left lots of lacing

S) Mild, but mostly of spice

T) At first like a nice malty amber ale, but then it's just the smokey and spicey flavor of chipotle. Not super spicey, just tingly and warm. At first I thought that was from the alcohol, but at 5.5%, its the spice.

MF) Medium with lots of carbonation

D) Good. I enjoyed this with tacos and it went well together. Not sure if this is my favorite style but I enjoyed this brew and would recommend it.

sophisticated, Sep 24, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Pours with a moderate amount of head. Has a hazy copper color.

S - A good aroma of yeast with hints of spices.

T - First taste is mostly malt, then the smoky chipotle heat hits you. I noted a little sourness at the end.

M - Medium bodied. Maybe just a tad bit flat though.

D - I personally love the spiciness. Quite savory as it goes down.

bbb099, Dec 20, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +26.1%

mitlinks, Feb 03, 2013

Freshlikeugh, Oct 18, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Another worthy entry to the wonderful line of Rogue beers. Pours a nice dark amber into my glass, with minimal head. Taste is smooth before a mild bite of heat at the end. There is a lingering oily heat present from the peppers that are infused into the beer, and a smokiness that reminds me a bit of Alaska's vaunted Smoked Porter. This would go great with some spicy Mexican food. Bravo!

troutmask96, Sep 27, 2008

fitius5150, Mar 16, 2012

Pugs78, Apr 25, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -6.2%

Well I was a little amazed that someone would actually combine hot peppers and beer but i was very happy with the outcome. Poured a deep amber color with the smell of a little pepper. Didnt taste so much like pepper but more like a smokey bbq. Almost as if you were drinking the smoke off of a grill is the only way i can compare it. Definetly worth a try once.

TrickKnee, Sep 03, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured from a 650 ml bomber into a pint glass.

The beer poured a hazy copper with a 1/2 inch foam off white foam head.

The smell was hoppy with a sweet fruit, citrus scent. No smell of chipotle pepper whatsoever.

The initial sip is spicy but not from the pepper. Its a hoppy oily spice biting at the tip of the tongue. The initial hop bite fades into a citrus sweetness. After the beer is swallowed a slow heat creeps up starting at the back of the tongue and working its way down the throat. Its a mild heat but it is definitely noticeable. I never actually taste the pepper flavor only feeling the heat.

The mouthfeel is oily, allowing the hops to stick to the mouth also allowing the heat to remain. Its an interesting beer and I am glad I tried it but it is clearly not something you would drink more than one of.

hyland24, Mar 22, 2008
2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

Well, I've been a fan of Rogue beers for many years, so I expected a little more from this ale. It made me almost nervous that it was made with chipotle peppers; but it really didn't have an overly spicy taste. The "hotness" shows up on the finish a little. It is clean, and pure...and that's classic Rogue style, but the body was also light and a tad simple. It would be easy to pound a few of these; that is, if you like peppers.

MattBrooks, Jun 09, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -9%

dac0152, Apr 03, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -58%

Archimedes, Feb 18, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Pour from a 22 ouncer in to a pint glass.

This poured an amber color with a decent white head that dissipated into a thin veneer of foam and left a trail of lace down the side of the glass.

The smell is of hops and maybe a bit of pepper. Possibly a bit of malt, although that is debatable.

Taste is hoppy and the backtaste is peppery. I really like the warm feel that goes down as I swallow the beer. I would personally like the peppery taste to be more at the fore while it was in my mouth, but maybe I just had an older brew.

Mouthfeel is carbonated, with a bite. It is a very drinkable beer, although I would prefer something that is a bit spicier.

tedsox31, Sep 11, 2008