Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +18.2%

Wow! First chile beer. Very delicious.

Ruddy brown color with some off white, creamy head that lasted for a while but left little lacing. Didn't really know what to expect from this style, though.

Smell is mostly sweet malt with some smokiness from the chipotle (smoke-dried jalapenos). Taste is malty up front, kind of sweet with a very unique sweet malt taste. The only action I am getting from the chiles is smoke right now.

Now i start to get the chile parts of the beer--a little burning in the back of the throat from the jalapenos, very balanced though--amazingly drinkable. Very good overall. I don't know how old this is or how age has affected it, but very good and very subtle with the chile--expertly done.

wheelinshirt, Nov 16, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber color with a crusty, rocky, off-white head that lasts a while and clings to the sides. Not much aroma, faint caramel and slightly fruity malt notes, and just hint of some bitter hop esters. Dry grains and dry bitter hops up front and earthy, woody notes in the back. Chipotle heat is perceived in the back of the throat and esophagus, and minimally on the palate. I don’t know how they achieved this but its nice that the chipotle heat doesn’t wreck the palate. Midway through a slight sweetness develops along with some organic soily smoky notes. The finish is pretty much clean at first but then chipotle flavor arrives way late. Light to medium body and mouthfeel is about average, could have done with something thinner. Chipotle flavor becomes more noticeable as it warms but still much lighter than I remember it the previous couple of times I’ve had this beer.

cabsandking, Nov 02, 2007
2.3/5  rDev -35.6%

A- Nice Amber color

S- I did not notice any chipotle smell after pouring although it had did have a pleasant aroma.

T- I agree that the taste is similar to a mild amber ale upfront. Definately felt some heat in the finish, which was nice and not too overpowering.

M- good mouthfeel

D- I am glad I tried it, but I don't think I will buy it again. I like spicy foods, but not a big fan of spicy beers.

travpard, Oct 26, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +15.7%

A- 1in white creamy head sits on a slightly hazy orange-copper-amber brew with rising bubbles. decent foam retention, becoming a thing ring leaving moderate amounts of lace.

S- mild chipotle smoked jalapeno and adobo BBQ sauce. smells like the real thing. malty and sweet with slight citrus and bread aromas. maybe a lil bit of lime, the chipotle really takes over the whole thing. but in a good way.

T- pleasantly smoky, the smoked jalapenos really stand out over all other flavors along with the wood smoke and the special adobo sauce. flavor is still quite mild, and the chipotle isn't too hot, i believe alcohol is a solvent for capsaicin (the chemical that makes peppers hot) so it's no surprise this beer's not on fire. aside from pepper, faint charcoal and dark wood envelop a toasty malt and herbal hop finish. very well balanced.

MF- crisp, slick, with medium carbonation, goes down super smooth

D- this is a great tasty treat, but would be difficult to drink iin session, the chipotle taste might get annoying after a while.

hustlesworth, Oct 19, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

A- Body is a bright orange hue-almost like it is on fire. Pours with a thin white head that quickly fades to a nice collar and very little lacing is left behind in the glass. Body also has a slight hazy translucency.

S- Chipotle peppers upfront with moderate strength. Piny hops and a sweet malt backbone.

T- Taste is similar to a mild amber ale upfront. Some piny hop flavor with a sweet malt backbone. The chipotle peppers kick in subtly for the finish while the piny hop flavor (and a slight bitterness) strengthens and the sweet malt begins to fade. A chipotle pepper taste and heat (heat is of moderate strength-not overbearing) is left to linger like a strong bitterness does in some IPAs. A slight malt sweetness also lingers.

M- Medium to low carbonation and body is a little thin.

D- I thought I was going to be blown away by chipotle peppers in this one; but I was surprised at how mild the flavor was. The peppers were presented very tastefully. I love trying unique brews like this and I think they are very interesting. Drinkability is high but its a novelty treat rather than something I want all the time. Job well done.

PittBeerGirl, Oct 17, 2007
2.1/5  rDev -41.2%

A few ounces from a bomber poured into a small wine glass. Just had a sample. Translucent amber color, not much head.

Smells and tastes like smokey peanuts. Seems like sweet malt is TRYING to break through, but being beaten down by a smokey hot-sauce flavor. Slightly bacony, slight sting in the back of the mouth. It's sort of like a rauchbier, with spice added to the smoke.

Average carbonation - not too low, not too high, pretty decent. Probably the only thing the beer had going for it.

Seriously undrinkable. I couldn't even finish a sample. I love Rogue, but there's no reason to buy this other than to go "dude, check out how weird this beer is" or maybe to use as a marinade for beef jerky. I guess it does technically deliver what it says it will deliver, but I just can't in good conscience give this a good review.

NolateM, Oct 10, 2007

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

Pours a reddish brown color with a big head that faded to a ring in about 5 minutes, nice lacing.

Smell is very hoppy, maybe some pepper smell way down in there, but if I wasnt looking for it I would get it.

Taste again very hoppy, had to search for the pepper but after a while my lips and mouth had a bit of a burn to them.

Mouthfeel was full with medium carbonation.
Drinkability was high, although I couldnt really see paying for it.

crazybrody06, Oct 01, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

I had this on tap at Slow's Barbeque in Detroit. The beer was served in a small chalice for some reason, I'm not sure why because this beer isn't too expensive in bottles. The bartender said the keg was expensive...

The beer was dark yellow golden colored with a thin white head. The aroma was surprisingly hoppy, I didn't get any chili peppers out of the smell. The taste was citrucy hoppy and a bit spicy, but the spicy heat must have come from peppers instead of hops. It was really pretty nice against the weak caramel malt flavors in the background. I plan to try it again from the bottle sometime.

TurdFurgison, Sep 26, 2007
3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into my Hennepin glass. Pours a reddish brown with a healthy inch head that settles slowly into a lacy 1/2 inch or so. The beer is cloudy and I don't see much carbonation. The smell starts out with a nice, fruity, gummi bear like hop aroma backed immediately with a smooth and sticky malt character. The taste is interesting. The taste is much like an APA with a malt undertone topped with a smooth, mild-to-moderate hop bitterness. The chile peppers are faint but noticeable right in the middle of the drink. The pepper taste isn't there but the oil and waxy pepper effect is present. A slightly metallic spice and a bitterness that is separate from the bitterness given by any hop I've had gives it away. It sits more at the front of the tongue and has a residual, consistent effect. After you rest a few minutes from drinking it the pepper taste opens up a bit more with an acidic green chile resemblance.

Rudgers73, Sep 26, 2007
3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: Poured from the bomber into a pint glass. A strange murky brownish-red color with a nice off white two finger head that slowly dissipates. Unique looking beer.

Smell: Lightly hopped up front but then fading into a more classic beery aroma. Chipotle peppers are not as evident as I thought they would be. You really have to dig to get the aroma of them, and all you're left with really is a slight stinging sensation in the nostrils. Odd.

Taste: Not as spicy or different than I expected. Comes across at first as lightly to moderately hoppy then getting stronger in the hop department going down. A slight burning sensation remains in the mouth and throat after a pretty clean finish. Peppery character comes across faintly towards the middle, but you really have to be looking for it or you'll miss it. Good beer, but slightly disappointing.

BucBasil, Sep 22, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle, chilled into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy amber color with a nice bit of creamy (1/2") and tan head taht clings nicely to the glass as it slowly dissipates.

Aroma is mainly of some herbal and floral hops, while a bit of caramel and pepper hits my nose also. I can tell there's a bit of spice in there.

Sipping at first I get a lot of sweet caramel, along with a bittering, herbal hop flavor. A bit of spice and pepper comes through, but reminds me a bit of black pepper on the finish, and really wasn't what I expected. It leaves my lips tingling a little, so maybe the PEPPER IS IN THERE!?

Body is nicely balanced with nice sweetness and then bitterness. Body is medium with a nice mild carbonation and tingle from the pepper maybe.

Overall, more drinkable than expected. I've tried Cave Creek Chili Beer before, and it was near unbearable, so when I picked this up, it was more an experiment. A good one! Cheers!

Fish113d, Sep 21, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours out a dark hazy rust amber with a small dense tan head.

Smell. Combination of caramel and peppers. Though i have read the ibu level is at 35, i still get a good amount of hops.

Taste. More tastes of caramel, but definitely has a spice kick to go with it. I do get a taste of the hops, but certainly not hoppy at all. Malts are roasted and slightly smokey with tastes of caramel. I can definitely get the yeast taste that many rogue beers have. And as the beer warms, the peppers become stronger. Aftertaste is more of the yeast, with a good amount of spicy pepper.

Mouthfeel. Body is medium that seems full at first, but then gets a little slick as it warms in my mouth. has a nice balance, and the carbonation along with the peppers makes it very tingly on my tongue.

Overall, I like this beer, but is one i would have to be in the mood for to enjoy.

acrawf6, Sep 19, 2007
1.95/5  rDev -45.4%

22 ounce bottle from Cooke's Family Market in El Segundo

Poured a deep reddish brown color into my pint glass

One of the worst beers I have had in a long time, peppers and beer do not mix at all

Smell was rancid and taste was so spicy, I needed to drink water with it

Only drank about five ounces before giving it to my dad, he will drink anything

Not recommended

Floydster, Sep 14, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -6.2%

A - Poured out a cloudy, orange/amber color with a soapy, off-white, two-finger head. It left some traces of lace.

S - It smelled of peppers and some toasted malt.

T - It tasted of malt. At first the peppery spices were very mild, but as it warmed up the jalepeno taste got hotter.

M - It was crisp and smooth. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This isn't a bad beer. I'm always a little leery of a Chile Beer, but this was really quite good.

zeff80, Sep 13, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -2%

Appearance- Rust color with an off white head

Smell- Sweet and smoky. Possible hint of peppers.

Taste- A very smoky taste to it. In the aftertaste I could taste a slight hint of peppers.

Mouthfeel- A medium body with light carbonation.

Drinkability- It isn't a bad beer. Maybe a bit pricey but not too bad.

Beerbuddha, Sep 03, 2007
3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

I poured this into a pint glass

A - Slightly cloudy with a decent slightly reddish color.

S - I didn't notice anything outstanding other than some hops. Nothing really jumped out at me.

T - This was pretty decent. I was worried it would be a little too spicy or have a flavor I didn't like. It tasted like a decent ale with a little bit of a bite. I wouldn't know the reason for the bite if I didn't read the label, but it was decent.

M - Again, the slight bite was the most noticeable thing to me. Mostly on the sides of my tongue, it felt nice. Nothing bad about this one.

D - I could have a few of these. Of beers similar in style, this is probably about average. If I had to buy it, I would probably settle for a beer a little lighter on the wallet but with similar taste. This isn't a beer I would go out and buy a case of, but if my buddy offered it to me I'd have no problem drinking it.

dragonglen, Sep 02, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -10.4%

22 oz poured into pint glass

Appearance:Nice copper color, light carbonation, thin head that didn't stay long.

Smell: Malty and smoky. You can definitely smell chipotle.

Taste: To me it has that smoked stout flavor. Like with a Beamish. The chipotle flavor may be a bit strong. It's not spicy.

Mouthfeel: It feels light and a little undercarbonated.

Drinkability: I think it's a good beer. This is my first chili beer. It's very easy to drink, and an interesting combination. Try one.

Atch, Aug 21, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Chipotle Ale pours a copper color with an off white head from a brown twenty two ounce bottle. The aroma is malty, but there is a hint of some heat too. This beer has a very malty flavor, with only a hint of chili pepper which mostly is noticeable as a mild heat toward the end of the sip rather than as a flavor (although there is some flavor from the chili peppers, it is quite muted). Not bad, the only other chili flavored beer I've had is that abomination made by Cave Creek. Thankfully, this fares quite a bit better. Worth a try, if only to say you've had a chili flavored beer.

Drew966, Aug 21, 2007
3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Pours a nice clear copper color with a thin layer of head. Dissipates fairly quickly and doesn't leave much lacing.

S: Not much of a smell. A little bit of malt and smoke, but not much.

T: The malt hits you first with some sweetness, followed by some hints of smoke. The pepper flavor comes out the end, but isn't dominating or overpowering. It's subtle but present. I found it interesting that some sips of this beer that I took were better than others. A few sips had a really nice hops/pepper finish to them that was quite tasty.

M: Smooth, felt a little thin, but overall not bad. Good carbonation.

D: For me, this is an occasional beer. It's tasty, but not something I'd want all the time. Definitely worth a try though.

YonderWanderer, Aug 18, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours a hazy medium copper color. Maybe a quarter inch light tan head, dissipates quickly, leaving minimal lace.

Aroma is malty, with some subtle smoky notes.

Flavor is malty upfront, quickly moving to a nice smoky finish. Pepper bite comes through more into the aftertaste, where it couples with some mild hop notes.

Medium body, moderate carbonation. Somewhat thick, almost syrupy mouthfeel. Balance seems fine. Honestly, I think this would be better if you were left with just the smoky element, and didn't have the pepper bite. Overall, an interesting beer, but not something I would be likely to pick up again.

briman, Aug 15, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

Impressive rocky head. Neutral amber color. Slight haze. Good lace.

Mostly hop aroma. I cannot smell any chili peppers. This smells like a superior IPA, frankly.

I'd say that this a dry beer as opposed to a spicy beer. Still, it is flavorful in a astringent sort of way. Whole milk-like body with a generous amount of carbonation. The aftertaste has a touch of "hot" but honestly, the bottom line is this is a quality American pale ale.

I'm torn as to whether I should deduct points for the lack of spiciness. In the end, I've decided to make the marks reflect the quality of the beer.

smcolw, Aug 11, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +15.7%

22 oz bomber

nice orangy-amber color, with a great aroma of smoke and pepper. good mouthfeel, not too thin, but a slight dryness. flavor has a wonderful smoke up front with a clean spicy finish. good malt flavors linger in the background with a subtle sweetness. not much hop character to speak of, with the peppers and all. fantastic beer. the smoke flavor is great, and from what i understand, it's all from the smoked peppers, no smoked malt. one of my all time favorite beverages

xforce, Aug 05, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from the 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Body is somewhere between orange and maroon in color, with a small, creamy white head that instantly recedes to a thin halo. Aroma is first and foremost chipotle chili pepper, with some lightly sweet malt providing a little balance. Palate is mellow, lightly sweet malt up front, with the chipotle pepper building towards the back of the mouth. Finish is a good blend of sweet malt and pepper, but without a particularly high level of heat. Mouthfeel is akin to an English pub ale - smooth and velvety, without much in the way of carbonation. A great pairing with my spicy black bean chili, although it's not exactly a beer for everyday drinking.

ElGordo, Jul 30, 2007

22 oz. bomber, poured into a Duvel tulip,

A: Dark red-brown with a medium white head.

S: Smells of bready malt, with a hint of chipotle peppers.

T: Big caramel malt, the chipotle peppers are subtle and not over-the-top, making their main appearance as some slight capsaicin warming at the end of the sip.

M: Smooth, medium-bodied, spicy.

D: A good beer, would go well with Mexican food, I would have liked a little more robustness in the pepper aspect of this beer, but overall it was a good experience and I'm glad I tried it, and with this one revisited it.

Halcyondays, Jul 29, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

The brew appeared a copper - red color with minimal head.

The smell was sweet at first with a spice note on the end.

Taste was a little more complex. There was an immediate malt flavor followed by a smokey aftertaste. Following the smoke came a mild chile-like heat.

This was a malty beer that with good carbonation. Wasn't overpowering with the various flavors.

The smokey flavor was a little intense at times but for a chili beer I was very impressed. I would consider trying it again.

csmiley, Jul 20, 2007