Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22-ounce bomber about 1 year old. (Bottle dated 01/07)

Pours a crisp, clear red-copper color into my pint glass with a nice white head, 1.5 fingers high. Head never quite goes away, and laces the glass well. Carbonation bubbles are visible rising in the glass.

Aroma is of mild apricot and black pepper. Hint of sweet citrus. Tangy, hoppy nose.

Taste is quite excellent, with hoppy apricot and peach along with a mild toasted toffee malt. The pepperyness takes just a minute to register on the tongue, but makes you want another sip as soon as it does. Smooth and peppery in the mouth.

A very nice, refreshing, sessionable ale from Rogue.

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a cloudy amber - kind of reminds me of a Belgian brew. Nose is muted, but with a touch of a sweet edge. Flavor is actually pretty damn good. Starts off with an almost overly sweet tone which slowly morphs into something smoky and clean. The smoked peppers actually keep in your mouth. Over time as it warms up the smokey flavors REALLY come out. Feel is a bit thin, and it is drinkable (though a 22 oz bomber might be a bit too much for one person in one sitting), even though this is a chile beer.

4.63/5  rDev +30.1%

I've had this beer in the past and enjoyed it, though I never reviewed it.

Pours a reddish/pale color with a thick head that leaves decent lacing. Aroma is strong and malty with the hint of chipotle on the nose. Reminiscent of a scottish ale of sorts. Chipotle itself adds a spiciness to the aroma of this beer.

Taste is strong and malty upfront with a chewiness and burn provided by the chipotle. Leaves a decent spiciness at the back of the tongue that goes down with a mild burn. A second sip confirms the same thing except that the chipotle dominates the palate here and nearly overwhelms the malt.

This is the type of beer that isn't for everyone. I personally enjoy it as I really like spicy foods. This beer would definitely go well with a burger or something more. I feel it's well done for the style as well.

2.8/5  rDev -21.3%

A - pours up hazy light brown with a thick head with big bubbles that dissipates slowly

S - Smells of fruit, some citrus hop aroma

T - Sweet malt with a hint of raisin flavor. No chipotle flavor. Some heat in the back of my throat a minute or two after swallowing. It slowly--slowly-- spread around my mouth.

M - Nothing to write home about. It's not thin and it's not thick.

D - The heat is a nice tingle, but I expected more smoke. Too raisiny for my taste.

3.15/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

I was given this bottle as a gift a while back. In the interim, I was able to sample this on draught at Slows BBQ in Detroit (for only $2!). On draught, I thought this was a nice, smoky beer with a bit of heat that complimented the BBQ well. Maybe I waited too long to crack this bottle open, but I'm not getting much of the heat component here. Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad thing, but what I'm tasting now is sweet and smoky rather than smoky and hot. The appearance of this beer is where it shines with its nice cloudy deep brown color and quickly dissipating head. The aroma is smoky, but could be more intense (again, could be a function of my waiting to open the bottle). Regardless, this is an interesting brew that is worth seeking out. It would work great in a chili recipe. Recommended.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Bomber poured into my favorite bomber-sized glass.

A nice head formed, which took a while to settle, eventually with no lace. Initially very murky, yet no visible yeast deposits; a beautiful red color, but it never cleared up. I like murky beers, but not consistently murky beers and not when it's unexplainable.

The nose was interesting--I expected more chipotle, but that was subtle and balanced by some expected and some unexpected hints, including a faint medicinal scent and some magic marker--but not much. Oddly, the nose, for me anyway, was mixed to the point that it was hard to pick out particular scents. It smelled like ale, but mysteriously, and I liked that. Like all Rogue flavored beers, a general synthetic nose was present, but less so than in other offerings (which I have not liked).

The taste was strange--because it was not that strange. I'm not sure how this beer could get bad reviews. It's not that great, but it's not over-the-top, like the chicory Dogfish Head, IMO one of the worst beers I've ever had. In fact, I like this better than the other Rogue flavored beers, including those which are lauded by BA reviewers. If anything, I would have liked more heat promised by the title, and I think it would have been better with more hops.

The mouthfeel was poor--the carbonation is too much like soda. That, to me, interferes with its drinkability as well.

Unlike most novelty beers, I'm glad I tried this one. If it were cheaper, I'd try it again, but there are so many outstanding bombers available for just $1 more in Columbus (this was $4), like Hop Rod Rye, the Avery barleywine ... yeah, especially those two. I'm glad a Rogue flavor bomber finally came through for me.

1.58/5  rDev -55.6%

I saw this bottle and I thought " Oh man that must be awful!", but since I shop for beer at a discount store, it would be stupid not to try it when a 22oz bottle is only $2.29. Right?

No. Not right. Becuase this beer is gross. I thought about it, but It seems like no matter what mood your in, or what you're eating, this beer would always be weird. And gross. I really tried to like it. I poured it in a glass. If you're not paying attention the front end you get is okay. But then that aftertaste kicks in, and just keeps on trucking.

It really feels like a good beer under all of it. The ingredients they list on the label are high end, and I feel like if this beer wasn't trying so hard to be different it would be good. It's sort of full-bodied, and it has this cool toastiness like some of the best red ales have. It smells good, courtesy of the hops. On the first tip, I really appreciated the body and spice of the beer. It's winter, I'm cold. It had a fall warming ale sort of thing going. But after that first wash over your tounge it begins to go downhill. The hops and body and flavor drain away. At the last tail end of the aftertaste, after all the fresh beer flavor is gone, you're left with only weird smoky flavor. No fresh hoppy goodness for it to float around in. It's strange. I like chipotle flavor and eat lots of food with it, and I like lots of really weird unconventional beers( Bongwater, Scuttlebutt, Tutti Frutti, tons.) So this beer should be a shoe-in, but nope.
This beer is unique and you might even enjoy it if it caught you in the right mood, but you'll never drink much of it.

You might end up doing what I did: pour half down the drain. Seriously. After 1 glass I couldn't stand it. If you're smart: You'll avoid opening it in the first place. Look here, and see that some people even like this stuff and are willing to trade for it. Go figure.
Different strokes for different folks eh? Apparently some people like smoky, weird beer that doesn't make any sense.
I wished I'd traded mine. for anything. whoops!

The bottom line:
The only reason you should drink this is if you hate beer and you only want the alcohol.

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

From a 22oz.

Three fingers of head. Hazy light orange. Depth changes with change in lighting. Looks thick and hazy. Only wispy specks of lace remain.

Has a smoky aroma, smoky malt. Smell is actually not that strong, considering. It's pleasant and interesting but weak.

Serious smoky BBQ flavor with a spicy jalapeño pepper taste. Aftertaste is a spicy, smoky bite. Has a seriously pungent flavor, sits on the back of the tongue like BBQ. Almost burns the palate.

Feel is thick and chunky. Sandpapery. Leaves a smoky film. In fact, the overall word is "smoky." It's sweet but pungent. Really interesting.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

i am a chef at a dogfish and i was blown away by this beer

A - Orangish color with off white head. Head dissipated very quickly. Very nice presentation.

S - Hoppy with a light smoked flavoring

T - I really .like the subtle chipotle taste. Especially with a spicy beer.

M - Thick but not too thick. Very nice.

D - Not so much. Not a session beer by any means.

1.45/5  rDev -59.3%

I had this beer quite a while ago, and forgot to review it. However, I can assure you that the experience remains fresh in my mind.

Pours a light orangeish hue with an off white head that dissipated somewhat quickly. Good robust mouthfeel (the best part of the beer).

Smells of smokiness and wheat/grass. The smell put me off almost immediately. The taste is ... not good. I wasn't expecting a chipotle flavored beer to taste like it was mixed with liquid pipe tobacco. There's really no malt here, and no real hops either. Just smokiness, wheat/grass, spiciness (it is bold and up front), and more smokiness.

In the last six months, I haven't finished a beer I sampled to review on maybe three occasions. The Sam Adams Triple Bock (twice -- just to make sure the first bottle didn't go bad), and now this.

Ugh.

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours amber (darker amber, with a copperish hue), producing a generous but short lived head. Head settles quickly to a thin lace across the glass.

Smells light on the malt, ot a lot of hops aroma, with a hint of chili pepper.

Tastes like a pale ale. Light, not too malty. Finishes to a hoppy and peppery glow. The pepper is not overpronounced, but you do feel it in the aftertaste and in your belly.

Mouthfeel is OK. It's mostly balanced leaning towards the spicier side. Carbonation seemed sharper for an American pale ale; a little less CO2 might bring out the malt more. Letting this beer breathe for a bit did help on that aspect.

Overall this is pretty low on the session beer factor. It is not bad - in fact it's interesting how the chili compliments the pepper. Unfortunately two servings of pepper will put your innards on alert more than two servings of hops. This is a pretty good beer and goes well with pizza, but I'll follow it up with something else.

I tried to file a BeerSpy report; unfortunately once you pick New Hampshire you have 14 stores to chose from and there is no 'Other/Not listed'. Purchased from Wine Society in north Nashua, NH which has a small handpicked selection of beers (and no dust).

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

It's taco night, so it seemed an appropriate time to try this.

Pours an amber color with good clarity, some bubbles slowly rising to the top and about two fingers of fluffy light beige head. Looks a lot like a pale ale if you didn't know better, and the retention is pretty good with a nice lace and some stick.

Smells a bit like a pale ale too, with some fruity hops and some malt sweetness. There's a spicy note to it but it's not that strong or out of the ordinary.

There's a bit more peppery flavor and heat in the flavor than the smell. Pale malt sweetness and some fruity hops are met by a bit of spicy heat and a smoky flavor midway through and into the finish. It's mild enough to not be bothersome, but rather adds a pleasant and unique flavor. Heat picks up a bit as it warms.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, appropriately carbonated. This is definitely a bit of a novelty beer and not something I'd have very often, but I'd have it again if the mood struck me right.

4.22/5  rDev +18.5%

Wow! First chile beer. Very delicious.

Ruddy brown color with some off white, creamy head that lasted for a while but left little lacing. Didn't really know what to expect from this style, though.

Smell is mostly sweet malt with some smokiness from the chipotle (smoke-dried jalapenos). Taste is malty up front, kind of sweet with a very unique sweet malt taste. The only action I am getting from the chiles is smoke right now.

Now i start to get the chile parts of the beer--a little burning in the back of the throat from the jalapenos, very balanced though--amazingly drinkable. Very good overall. I don't know how old this is or how age has affected it, but very good and very subtle with the chile--expertly done.

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber color with a crusty, rocky, off-white head that lasts a while and clings to the sides. Not much aroma, faint caramel and slightly fruity malt notes, and just hint of some bitter hop esters. Dry grains and dry bitter hops up front and earthy, woody notes in the back. Chipotle heat is perceived in the back of the throat and esophagus, and minimally on the palate. I don’t know how they achieved this but its nice that the chipotle heat doesn’t wreck the palate. Midway through a slight sweetness develops along with some organic soily smoky notes. The finish is pretty much clean at first but then chipotle flavor arrives way late. Light to medium body and mouthfeel is about average, could have done with something thinner. Chipotle flavor becomes more noticeable as it warms but still much lighter than I remember it the previous couple of times I’ve had this beer.

2.3/5  rDev -35.4%

A- Nice Amber color

S- I did not notice any chipotle smell after pouring although it had did have a pleasant aroma.

T- I agree that the taste is similar to a mild amber ale upfront. Definately felt some heat in the finish, which was nice and not too overpowering.

M- good mouthfeel

D- I am glad I tried it, but I don't think I will buy it again. I like spicy foods, but not a big fan of spicy beers.

4.13/5  rDev +16%

A- 1in white creamy head sits on a slightly hazy orange-copper-amber brew with rising bubbles. decent foam retention, becoming a thing ring leaving moderate amounts of lace.

S- mild chipotle smoked jalapeno and adobo BBQ sauce. smells like the real thing. malty and sweet with slight citrus and bread aromas. maybe a lil bit of lime, the chipotle really takes over the whole thing. but in a good way.

T- pleasantly smoky, the smoked jalapenos really stand out over all other flavors along with the wood smoke and the special adobo sauce. flavor is still quite mild, and the chipotle isn't too hot, i believe alcohol is a solvent for capsaicin (the chemical that makes peppers hot) so it's no surprise this beer's not on fire. aside from pepper, faint charcoal and dark wood envelop a toasty malt and herbal hop finish. very well balanced.

MF- crisp, slick, with medium carbonation, goes down super smooth

D- this is a great tasty treat, but would be difficult to drink iin session, the chipotle taste might get annoying after a while.

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

A- Body is a bright orange hue-almost like it is on fire. Pours with a thin white head that quickly fades to a nice collar and very little lacing is left behind in the glass. Body also has a slight hazy translucency.

S- Chipotle peppers upfront with moderate strength. Piny hops and a sweet malt backbone.

T- Taste is similar to a mild amber ale upfront. Some piny hop flavor with a sweet malt backbone. The chipotle peppers kick in subtly for the finish while the piny hop flavor (and a slight bitterness) strengthens and the sweet malt begins to fade. A chipotle pepper taste and heat (heat is of moderate strength-not overbearing) is left to linger like a strong bitterness does in some IPAs. A slight malt sweetness also lingers.

M- Medium to low carbonation and body is a little thin.

D- I thought I was going to be blown away by chipotle peppers in this one; but I was surprised at how mild the flavor was. The peppers were presented very tastefully. I love trying unique brews like this and I think they are very interesting. Drinkability is high but its a novelty treat rather than something I want all the time. Job well done.

2.1/5  rDev -41%

A few ounces from a bomber poured into a small wine glass. Just had a sample. Translucent amber color, not much head.

Smells and tastes like smokey peanuts. Seems like sweet malt is TRYING to break through, but being beaten down by a smokey hot-sauce flavor. Slightly bacony, slight sting in the back of the mouth. It's sort of like a rauchbier, with spice added to the smoke.

Average carbonation - not too low, not too high, pretty decent. Probably the only thing the beer had going for it.

Seriously undrinkable. I couldn't even finish a sample. I love Rogue, but there's no reason to buy this other than to go "dude, check out how weird this beer is" or maybe to use as a marinade for beef jerky. I guess it does technically deliver what it says it will deliver, but I just can't in good conscience give this a good review.

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

Pours a reddish brown color with a big head that faded to a ring in about 5 minutes, nice lacing.

Smell is very hoppy, maybe some pepper smell way down in there, but if I wasnt looking for it I would get it.

Taste again very hoppy, had to search for the pepper but after a while my lips and mouth had a bit of a burn to them.

Mouthfeel was full with medium carbonation.
Drinkability was high, although I couldnt really see paying for it.

3.98/5  rDev +11.8%

I had this on tap at Slow's Barbeque in Detroit. The beer was served in a small chalice for some reason, I'm not sure why because this beer isn't too expensive in bottles. The bartender said the keg was expensive...

The beer was dark yellow golden colored with a thin white head. The aroma was surprisingly hoppy, I didn't get any chili peppers out of the smell. The taste was citrucy hoppy and a bit spicy, but the spicy heat must have come from peppers instead of hops. It was really pretty nice against the weak caramel malt flavors in the background. I plan to try it again from the bottle sometime.

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into my Hennepin glass. Pours a reddish brown with a healthy inch head that settles slowly into a lacy 1/2 inch or so. The beer is cloudy and I don't see much carbonation. The smell starts out with a nice, fruity, gummi bear like hop aroma backed immediately with a smooth and sticky malt character. The taste is interesting. The taste is much like an APA with a malt undertone topped with a smooth, mild-to-moderate hop bitterness. The chile peppers are faint but noticeable right in the middle of the drink. The pepper taste isn't there but the oil and waxy pepper effect is present. A slightly metallic spice and a bitterness that is separate from the bitterness given by any hop I've had gives it away. It sits more at the front of the tongue and has a residual, consistent effect. After you rest a few minutes from drinking it the pepper taste opens up a bit more with an acidic green chile resemblance.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance: Poured from the bomber into a pint glass. A strange murky brownish-red color with a nice off white two finger head that slowly dissipates. Unique looking beer.

Smell: Lightly hopped up front but then fading into a more classic beery aroma. Chipotle peppers are not as evident as I thought they would be. You really have to dig to get the aroma of them, and all you're left with really is a slight stinging sensation in the nostrils. Odd.

Taste: Not as spicy or different than I expected. Comes across at first as lightly to moderately hoppy then getting stronger in the hop department going down. A slight burning sensation remains in the mouth and throat after a pretty clean finish. Peppery character comes across faintly towards the middle, but you really have to be looking for it or you'll miss it. Good beer, but slightly disappointing.

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle, chilled into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy amber color with a nice bit of creamy (1/2") and tan head taht clings nicely to the glass as it slowly dissipates.

Aroma is mainly of some herbal and floral hops, while a bit of caramel and pepper hits my nose also. I can tell there's a bit of spice in there.

Sipping at first I get a lot of sweet caramel, along with a bittering, herbal hop flavor. A bit of spice and pepper comes through, but reminds me a bit of black pepper on the finish, and really wasn't what I expected. It leaves my lips tingling a little, so maybe the PEPPER IS IN THERE!?

Body is nicely balanced with nice sweetness and then bitterness. Body is medium with a nice mild carbonation and tingle from the pepper maybe.

Overall, more drinkable than expected. I've tried Cave Creek Chili Beer before, and it was near unbearable, so when I picked this up, it was more an experiment. A good one! Cheers!

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours out a dark hazy rust amber with a small dense tan head.

Smell. Combination of caramel and peppers. Though i have read the ibu level is at 35, i still get a good amount of hops.

Taste. More tastes of caramel, but definitely has a spice kick to go with it. I do get a taste of the hops, but certainly not hoppy at all. Malts are roasted and slightly smokey with tastes of caramel. I can definitely get the yeast taste that many rogue beers have. And as the beer warms, the peppers become stronger. Aftertaste is more of the yeast, with a good amount of spicy pepper.

Mouthfeel. Body is medium that seems full at first, but then gets a little slick as it warms in my mouth. has a nice balance, and the carbonation along with the peppers makes it very tingly on my tongue.

Overall, I like this beer, but is one i would have to be in the mood for to enjoy.

1.95/5  rDev -45.2%

22 ounce bottle from Cooke's Family Market in El Segundo

Poured a deep reddish brown color into my pint glass

One of the worst beers I have had in a long time, peppers and beer do not mix at all

Smell was rancid and taste was so spicy, I needed to drink water with it

Only drank about five ounces before giving it to my dad, he will drink anything

Not recommended