1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chipotle AleChipotle Ale

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev -2.5%

Rogue Chipotle Ale 22oz Bottle
Drinking Vessel: Goblet
Temp: 45 F allowed to warm a bit

Appearance: Color is amber/orange with white creamy head. Above average head retention and light carbonation.

Scent: Pleasant sweet, toasted maltiness of the Harrington dominates the bouquet. A gentle swirl and deep inspiration reveals the smoky and spicy aroma of the peppers.

Taste: The malt flavor encountered initially is similar to an ordinary bitter or English pub ale. The hop bitterness balances this initial malt flavor. The smoked pepper essence is more of a presence than the dominant flavor. The spiciness however does dominate the aftertaste and lingers on the palate. Several gulps allows the spiciness to accumulate.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, rests on the tongue before running to the recesses of the mouth.

Drinkability: Unique, easy to drink. More a novelty then session

BWH3, Feb 16, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +10.6%

Because of it’s roots as an amber ale, a rich caramel malt backbone blends with the chile flavor and keeps it in check. Still, the chipotle largely dominates and leaves a mild and spicy bitterness. An easy mouthfeel makes for good drinking and along with its strong carbonation, this brew cleanses the palate and really washes down food. This can feel little rich, however, if drank by itself.

tempest, Feb 14, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

The beer pours an amber/orange color with about a half inch off-white head. The aroma is weak, but I can smell roasted peppers and a bit of malt. It tastes like spicy roasted peppers and has a hoppy finish but it's not as spicy as I expected. The heat/spice does get stronger (and tastes better) the more of it I drink, but the spicyness isn't overwhelming at all. Mouthfeel is light, and it's oily and smooth. Drinkability is good too, it goes down easy. All in all, it's a decent beer. I'd definitely drink it again, it was a pleasant surprise because I really didn't know what to expect with this beer.

bluejacket74, Feb 11, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Split the bomber bottle with my dad while watching college basketball.

Appearance: Fairly clear brown and golden in color. Good head, but exhibiting poor retention, no lacing - maybe due to the oils in the peppers? Or the fact I was pouring into two glasses rather than one and poured slowly...

Smell: Vaguely "sharp" but hard to place the source of the aroma - so presumably the chiles. Some malt with a slight hint of smoke.

Taste: The chipotle winds up being a background flavor. Maybe just because I really like spicy food, I didn't really find this hot enough. Neither the heat nor the smoke that I expect from something with the name "chipotle" come through very well. There's definitely a "bite" but it doesn't come off clearly enough to be recognizable if you didn't know what you were supposed to be drinking.

Mouthfeel: Body and carbonation are fine. I didn't find the aftertaste as objectionable as some have.

Drinkability: I wouldn't have wanted any more of this. I would like to try it mixed with Rogue's chocolate stout, however, I've heard it's a good combination.

hunteraw, Jan 28, 2007
3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

smells malty with a trace of piny hops and a definite note of peppers.

looks like a medium-pale ale, with a nice amberish gold cover and a half-finger head. tastes like a malty sort of ale, and hot damn, they weren't kidding about jalapeños, this stuff is spicy (but not unpleasantly so.)

considering the spiciness (and the weirdness) of it, I found it quite drinkable. the palate was timid and inoffensive, neatly balancing out the strong and unusual flavor.

good beer, but probably too weird for me to drink again under my own steam.

kajerm, Jan 26, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

I was a bit skeptical of trying a beer with jalapenos in it. I've tried other chili beers before, but my wife bought this for me, so I finally tried it.

Surprisingly this is very good for a Chile brew. The beer pours well producing a light tan head that lasts quite a while. I took my time with this 20oz bomber, and after about 45 minutes the head finally totally dissipates. The body is dark copper in color and is quite hazy.

Chipotle Ale aroma is malt dominant with subtle hops aroma. There is a faint smoky pepper fragrance too.

This tastes initially sweet and smoky, and finishes peppery like pepper jack cheese with a tartness.

Feels smooth and a bit oily. The spiciness is not only noticeable to the palate, but on the lips and back of the throat as well.

Again, this is a pleasant surprise and I wouldn't mind another one about now.

TheSarge, Jan 25, 2007
2.63/5  rDev -26.3%

This beer pours amber with orange highlights and little head, no lacing. Smells quite smokey and roasted with a taste of well roasted peppers. To be honest I don't really like this. It is an odd flavor to me and I'm from Texas. It's not disgusting. I could still finish it, I just won't spend more money on another.

AlesRTasty, Jan 19, 2007
3.6/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy of Adrian910ss: Poured a medium amber color ale with a nice foamy head with quite good retention. Aroma of light chilli is interesting and less prominent then expected. Taste of subtle spicy chilli is very interesting and not gross at all. Some smoky flavours are also noticeable and enjoyable with a medium hoppy finish that complements very well this beer. This beer was way better then expected and I’m glad I had the chance to try this.

Phyl21ca, Jan 05, 2007
3.6/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a beautiful clear red with about one generous finger of head dissapating rapidly to leave a fine lace across the surface of the ale,barely clinging to the sides of my tulip.

Quickly a pungent mesquite malt aroma yeilds to smoked chilis, reminicent of pepper-jack cheese.

Green vegetal, artichoke taste into smoked red-pepper with a grassy, slightly floral finish.

Somewhat thin bodied with a punch of chili-heat that is effectively accentuated by mild carbonation.

An interesting offering from the "Brewers on the Bay". This ale would pair well with Latin or Cajun seafood dishes. Definitely drinkable, I wish there were a few more ounces in my glass.

cbn, Jan 05, 2007
3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours hazy orange-brown. Good head, little bit of lacing.

Nothing stands out in particular in the aroma, mostly malty sweetness is noticable. Taste is up front maltiness. Sweet but with a small hopiness and smoky flavor following it up. The heat isn't that noticable but you can feel a bit of a bite in your throat after a few sips.

I didn't know what to expect coming into this beer, but it definitely wasn't bad. Not something I would revisit regularly, but worth a try at the least.

BurnsTau, Jan 02, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Rogue Chipotle Ale
22 oz brown bottle
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours a hazy, deep orange with a burnt flair. A fluffy and frothy head forms quickly while the head displays excellent retention. Puffy sticky lace patterns cling all over the pint glass.

Whiffs of toasted grains, malts and caramel sweetness.

Juicy caramel malt background with a significant hop-citrus twang. Prominent cascade hop punch. The finish is mighty smokey with a mesquite bbq presence. Steady heat quality with a black & red pepper bite. Hints of liquid smoke and hot pepper jelly interject.

A very interesting brew from Rogue to say the least. Brewed with quality and quite original. I really enjoy anything hot - from hot sauces to hot peppers, so I was glad to see an infusion of two of my favorite things. I'm not sure how many of these I would have in one sitting, but I enjoyed this one.

Hibernator, Dec 27, 2006
3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

Now this is one odd duck. Presented in the pint + 6 650ml bottle with no freshness date. Pours into the pint glass a clear reddish-orange with numerous bubbles beneath a solid 1-finger creamy tan head that fades at a moderate pace, leaving a small amount of lacing. Head and lacing are gone by the bottom of the glass. Nose is quite odd, sort of a mildly hoppy mesquite BBQ potato chip. Not bad; just odd. Taste follows logically from the nose; there’s a tart BBQ flavor up front, very smoky and sharp, with a definite burn at the end like chili peppers. Good taste, just, uh… hot. Mouth is somewhat on the thin side, semi-syrupy, smooth, with mild carbonation. Drinkability is average to low; I struggled through the bottle. Probably would be more palatable paired with some mild Mexican fare.

Overall: For my first chili beer, it’s not bad, but still not the thing I’d seek out on a regular. A good niche beer; worth a try.

jettjon, Dec 26, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -2%

Pours a clear amber color, nice carbonation, not much of a head, some lacing throughout the drink, but not a whole lot. The nose is of sweet malts, hops, spices, and caramel. The taste is kinda smokey and sweet malts, there's a good touch of caramel in there. Medium body. Drinkable, my first Chile Beer, not a bad brew at all, would recommend.

Wasatch, Dec 23, 2006
3.78/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured this beer from a 22oz bomber. The color was burnt orange with a small head. The first sip tastes like a normal ale then the spice hits. I would say it has more cinnamon characteristics than chile peppers but it was very interesting and it worked well for me. This beer should be in every mexican restaurant and it is one to try.

joeack, Dec 23, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a cloudy brown, with a large light-brown head.

Aroma is surprisingly muted. There is a hint of smoked wood, and my imagination could pick up the smell of the chipotle, but only because I read it on the label. Otherwise it would have been overlooked.

Flavor was much more apparent than the aroma. It has a flat, woody base, followed by the chipotle smoke, with a hint of dark smokiness that reminds me of smoldering leaves. The amount of chipotle flavor is just right. It’s dominant, but not overbearing or hot.

Mouthful was fine, if maybe a bit boring. The chipotle flavor is going to keep you occupied, so this is a case of “if you don’t notice it, you’re doing your job”.

Drinkability is below average for a beer beverage, but above average for a chili beer. The flavor of the chipotle is spot on, it doesn’t taste fake or powdery, so I imagine it’s a real ingredient. However, I doubt there are many people that are hankering for liquid chipotle, and I don’t think there are many repeat customers. They’ll try it once for the experience or a gag gift, or a true gift for a pepper head.

Speaking of pepper heads, I am one. Ironically, chipotles are my least favorite pepper even though they’re all the rage now. I’ve had a couple of extreme pepper beers, and they’re nasty, nasty, nasty. This beer is not one of those. It’s not great, but it is approachable.

terrabyte, Dec 21, 2006
3.1/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this for a buck, what the heck?

Pours amber with a 1 finger deep sand colored head. No head retention or lacing

S: Smokey with sweet malt notes

T: Smokey malt & slight spiceyness up front along with a diatechyl sweetness. A little caramel & cinamon sneaks in as well. Finishes smokey & too sweet. I liked the restrained smokiness & heat, but the sweetness detracts

MF: Medium bodied with all right carbonation.

Dranks okay, I could having a couple with a burger, bbq or chilli. Not a huge fan of the stlye, but is better than most others I've tried

russpowell, Dec 20, 2006
2.25/5  rDev -37%

I love peppers, and I love beer. I even love eating peppers while I’m drinking beer. But a beer whose primary (almost sole) noticeable ingredient IS peppers? No thanks. Rogue makes many good beers, and I’ve enjoyed most of them, but I’ll pass on this one.

kimcgolf, Nov 26, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

Appearance: Medium golden color, quite clear, with a small white head, and slight carbonation.

Aroma: Sweet, malty aroma, with a slight smoky pepper note.

Taste: Opens with a slight sour, or tart malt note, a mild hop presence appears midway through the taste. The taste draws to a close with a mild, lingering, earthy pepper note. In my judgment, the pepper note is rather restrained, but I frequently consume large quantities of hot pepper, so this beer might seem hotter to others.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, fairly full, pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Overall, a well-balanced example of a novelty style. Much better than the ubiquitous Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer. Although I have tried few examples of this uncommon style, I feel Rogue has excelled within the constraints of the style.

Presentation: Packaged in a twenty-two ounce brown glass bomber bottle with a pop-off crown and a painted label. In keeping with Rogue's custom of releasing the same beers under different labels, this example was actually called "Rogue Mexicali Ale".

Pegasus, Nov 24, 2006
3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

From a 650 mL bottle, I pour some Chipotle Ale into a pint glass. This presents a rusty red body with a brief white head. My nostrils are not set aflame by smelling it and I'm taking that as a good sign since I'm on Prilosec and all. Pepper presence is quite faint in the aroma; hops are more pronounced here.

No matter how much I've read about chile beers, I couldn't imagine how something like this would really taste. That's pretty much why I bought this stuff in the first place; it piqued my curiosity. Now I have a better idea:

At first I couldn't even detect it. Then, after a few sips, it was there. Like it says on the bottle, this beer is *delicately spiced* with smoked jalapeño (i.e. chipotle) peppers. So I start to pick up said spice in the usual areas of the tongue as well as said smokiness. I also notice that my lips are feeling it too and are a little parched by the experience, as usual when I have something spicy.

I think Rogue has the right level of heat here, balancing almost perfectly with the sweetness of the malts they use. The heat from the peppers is high enough that it's noticeable but not too high that it dominates the flavor profile and razes your taste buds. Not only would it pair well with Mexican food, but I also think it would do well with some good chocolate. Yes, I would like another but not too many.

edskirk3, Nov 21, 2006
3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

appearance: The pour gives a short, light khaki head that gradually falls back to a ring and a thin layer. The beer is an orange-amber in color.

smell: Moderate nuances of smoked chipotle pepper dominate with some toasted, caramel type malts hiding behind. That's pretty much it...no hops readily found.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is just above medium, and the body light but not thin.

taste: The same smoked chipotle from the aroma dominates the flavor. Some malts are present, but hard to pick out behind the pepper. Light pricks of teasing heat are felt after the swallow. Hop presence is at a minimum, which is probably for the best.

drinkability: eh, not a bad beer but half a bottle would be plenty...interesting, though. I could see this chipotle translating well into a porter.

single bottle from Peace Street Market, Raleigh

blackie, Nov 16, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

Served on tap at the Blue Dog, this arrived in a pint glass with a tiny collar of white foam atop clear amber. Smell was of an american brown ale: nutty, sweet aroma with citrus hop notes (cascades)? Initially the taste was similar with a good mix of caramel sweet maltiness and bitter hops, but the taste changed to that of the chipotle. It was a smoky barbeque type taste, and only minimal heat from capcaesin. Mouthfeel was light-bodied and seemed appropriate for what I'm guessing was a 5% ABV beer, give or take 0.2%. I drank it quickly, but more so to get it over with.

Note: Interesting flavor, but I doubt I'll revisit this style any time soon. I am fond of hot sauce and tobasco has long since replaced ketchup on my scrambled eggs, but it doesn't seem to work well with this beer, and the aftertaste was annoying.

BoozySmurf, Nov 14, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -24.4%

It's rare that I don't care for a Rogue beer, but chile beer is far from a beer I can recommend. Maybe if drunk with a Mexican meal it would be complimentary but otherwise it's just unpleasant and funky. This beer was too acidic and the aftertaste was just plain rough. Not anything you would want to burp repetitively I can assure you. I think the adjuncts of chiles added to me feeling terrible the next day. It cannot be solely to blame due to my indiscretionary excess but it didn't help either. I might attempt this one again with Mexican cuisine but no time soon.

veech, Nov 12, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +25.2%

Pours out a rich amber with moderate carbonation and a khaki head that settles to a sturdy, dimpled, and wavy 1/2". Leaves Very fine lace patterns. Smell is of faint chipotle at first, followed by a rich bready and nutty maltiness, floral hops, a smokiness (removed from the chile) not unlike that of a Scottish ale, and some buttery notes. Chipotle really comes out in the forefront of the flavor. Beneath it, I get a bready and nutty malt backbone, filled out with some soft, floral hops flavors. Finishes dry and slightly bitter. Mouthfeel is substantial, not too heavy or thin, with a softness in the carbonation that makes this wonderful. Leaves a little heat on my lips and a little bit less on the tongue. This would be a great session.

This could be written off as some sort of novelty beer, but I really think the chipotle works excellently at accenting the pale ale/amber ale base. Really reminds me of a Scottish ale but with a hint of chile.

goochpunch, Nov 12, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +15.7%

22oz. Bomber

I passed by this beer quite a few times and was always a little apprehensive about trying it. I felt a little adventurous today at the store so I picked up a bomber of it. We'll see if it was a smart thing to do or not.

I poured this into a pilsner glass so I could get the best idea of what it looked like. I poured a murky orangish amber. A solid slightly half inch off-white head sits on top that fades to a quarter inch but sticks around. Lots of carbonation rising from the depths.

I stick my nose in the glass and at first the only thing I smell is an open can of chipotle peppers. I know I'm smelling a beer but as I do my mind can't decipher between a beer and the peppers. It's strange. Playing tricks on my mind. After trying to smell deeper I do come up with a decent caramel backbone that just barely fights its way through the smoke. I actually like the smell even though it's not like a beer. It makes my mouth water.

Now for the taste test...-braces myself-...Wow! nothing like what I expected. The front starts out like a good red ale. Good caramel maltiness, grainy start. Mid-palate is where the smokiness kicks in. It's a heavy dark campfire like smokiness. The chipotle hits faintly at the swallow and lingers in the aftertaste. Good balance. The longer this beer sits the more the malts shine through and the more heat you get in the back of the throat. It must accumulate. I gave this what I did for taste because it goes above and beyond all others considering the style.

Mouthfeel is good. It's medium bodied and creamy which I think also helps the balance of all this beer. Finishs dry. A slight heat in the throat the more you drink.

Drinkability is good considering what kind of beer it is. I can't imagine another chili beer going down as good.

Overall I'm shocked at the quality of this beer. I was expecting the worst but got something much different. For what this beer is it does a fantastic job at it. Give it a try if you see it. Even if you don't like it it is an expierence worth having.

Slainte!

joe1510, Oct 29, 2006
2.05/5  rDev -42.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured hazy amber with a normal/abundant amount of head, which formed in some large bubbles. Aroma is very malty, bready, and pleasant. Previously, I'd had another chile beer which turned me off from this category, so I was a bit reluctant to take a sip. Flavor was extremely malty on the nose, with a bit of spice on the back-end. Not great, but not awful. Although I love chiles, spicy food, and preparing and eating all the foods that go with that (salsa, guacamole, anything Mexican, spicy tomato sauces and so on, after these two experiments with chile beers, I think I'm not going to meddle with this category further in the future.

BeerBelcher, Oct 26, 2006