Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance- Rust color with an off white head

Smell- Sweet and smoky. Possible hint of peppers.

Taste- A very smoky taste to it. In the aftertaste I could taste a slight hint of peppers.

Mouthfeel- A medium body with light carbonation.

Drinkability- It isn't a bad beer. Maybe a bit pricey but not too bad.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

I poured this into a pint glass

A - Slightly cloudy with a decent slightly reddish color.

S - I didn't notice anything outstanding other than some hops. Nothing really jumped out at me.

T - This was pretty decent. I was worried it would be a little too spicy or have a flavor I didn't like. It tasted like a decent ale with a little bit of a bite. I wouldn't know the reason for the bite if I didn't read the label, but it was decent.

M - Again, the slight bite was the most noticeable thing to me. Mostly on the sides of my tongue, it felt nice. Nothing bad about this one.

D - I could have a few of these. Of beers similar in style, this is probably about average. If I had to buy it, I would probably settle for a beer a little lighter on the wallet but with similar taste. This isn't a beer I would go out and buy a case of, but if my buddy offered it to me I'd have no problem drinking it.

3.2/5  rDev -10.1%

22 oz poured into pint glass

Appearance:Nice copper color, light carbonation, thin head that didn't stay long.

Smell: Malty and smoky. You can definitely smell chipotle.

Taste: To me it has that smoked stout flavor. Like with a Beamish. The chipotle flavor may be a bit strong. It's not spicy.

Mouthfeel: It feels light and a little undercarbonated.

Drinkability: I think it's a good beer. This is my first chili beer. It's very easy to drink, and an interesting combination. Try one.

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Chipotle Ale pours a copper color with an off white head from a brown twenty two ounce bottle. The aroma is malty, but there is a hint of some heat too. This beer has a very malty flavor, with only a hint of chili pepper which mostly is noticeable as a mild heat toward the end of the sip rather than as a flavor (although there is some flavor from the chili peppers, it is quite muted). Not bad, the only other chili flavored beer I've had is that abomination made by Cave Creek. Thankfully, this fares quite a bit better. Worth a try, if only to say you've had a chili flavored beer.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

A: Pours a nice clear copper color with a thin layer of head. Dissipates fairly quickly and doesn't leave much lacing.

S: Not much of a smell. A little bit of malt and smoke, but not much.

T: The malt hits you first with some sweetness, followed by some hints of smoke. The pepper flavor comes out the end, but isn't dominating or overpowering. It's subtle but present. I found it interesting that some sips of this beer that I took were better than others. A few sips had a really nice hops/pepper finish to them that was quite tasty.

M: Smooth, felt a little thin, but overall not bad. Good carbonation.

D: For me, this is an occasional beer. It's tasty, but not something I'd want all the time. Definitely worth a try though.

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours a hazy medium copper color. Maybe a quarter inch light tan head, dissipates quickly, leaving minimal lace.

Aroma is malty, with some subtle smoky notes.

Flavor is malty upfront, quickly moving to a nice smoky finish. Pepper bite comes through more into the aftertaste, where it couples with some mild hop notes.

Medium body, moderate carbonation. Somewhat thick, almost syrupy mouthfeel. Balance seems fine. Honestly, I think this would be better if you were left with just the smoky element, and didn't have the pepper bite. Overall, an interesting beer, but not something I would be likely to pick up again.

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Impressive rocky head. Neutral amber color. Slight haze. Good lace.

Mostly hop aroma. I cannot smell any chili peppers. This smells like a superior IPA, frankly.

I'd say that this a dry beer as opposed to a spicy beer. Still, it is flavorful in a astringent sort of way. Whole milk-like body with a generous amount of carbonation. The aftertaste has a touch of "hot" but honestly, the bottom line is this is a quality American pale ale.

I'm torn as to whether I should deduct points for the lack of spiciness. In the end, I've decided to make the marks reflect the quality of the beer.

4.13/5  rDev +16%

22 oz bomber

nice orangy-amber color, with a great aroma of smoke and pepper. good mouthfeel, not too thin, but a slight dryness. flavor has a wonderful smoke up front with a clean spicy finish. good malt flavors linger in the background with a subtle sweetness. not much hop character to speak of, with the peppers and all. fantastic beer. the smoke flavor is great, and from what i understand, it's all from the smoked peppers, no smoked malt. one of my all time favorite beverages

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Poured from the 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Body is somewhere between orange and maroon in color, with a small, creamy white head that instantly recedes to a thin halo. Aroma is first and foremost chipotle chili pepper, with some lightly sweet malt providing a little balance. Palate is mellow, lightly sweet malt up front, with the chipotle pepper building towards the back of the mouth. Finish is a good blend of sweet malt and pepper, but without a particularly high level of heat. Mouthfeel is akin to an English pub ale - smooth and velvety, without much in the way of carbonation. A great pairing with my spicy black bean chili, although it's not exactly a beer for everyday drinking.

22 oz. bomber, poured into a Duvel tulip,

A: Dark red-brown with a medium white head.

S: Smells of bready malt, with a hint of chipotle peppers.

T: Big caramel malt, the chipotle peppers are subtle and not over-the-top, making their main appearance as some slight capsaicin warming at the end of the sip.

M: Smooth, medium-bodied, spicy.

D: A good beer, would go well with Mexican food, I would have liked a little more robustness in the pepper aspect of this beer, but overall it was a good experience and I'm glad I tried it, and with this one revisited it.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

The brew appeared a copper - red color with minimal head.

The smell was sweet at first with a spice note on the end.

Taste was a little more complex. There was an immediate malt flavor followed by a smokey aftertaste. Following the smoke came a mild chile-like heat.

This was a malty beer that with good carbonation. Wasn't overpowering with the various flavors.

The smokey flavor was a little intense at times but for a chili beer I was very impressed. I would consider trying it again.

3.4/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: It pours a hazy red color. Head is about a finger and a half. Retention was rather short and very light lacing remained.

Smell: Very malty sweet smell. Mostly smells of caramel malts. There's a hint of some citrus in there. I'm not really picking up any spiciness on the nose.

Taste: It's definitely got a caramel, malty sweet taste. It is more spicy than the smell would suggest. It's not overly spicy, but it does remain and develop into a spicy aftertaste. No real hop bitterness here. Slight citrus flavors are noticeable.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied and, as most Rogue beers, extremely well carbonated. Very drinkable. If nothing else was around, I could probably session this if I had to. But, Rogue makes more than a few better session beers than this. Overall, it's pretty good. Better than I was expecting. Check it out.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

A- Slightly red clear amber with off-white head that poured huge, left huge lacing, the head lasted a really long time as well.
S- pretty much all slightly sweet malt, only a slight twinge of spiciness on the nose at the finish
T- Pretty smooth, a light malty smoothness, followed by a slight chili pepper spicyness which replaces the hop flavor.
M- a sharper carbonation which fits well with the chili. Has a slightly light body, however nothing of detriment to the beer
D- pretty solid, a slightly spicy flavor that i hadnt had before, and is balanced well, providing an interesting and different finish of chili instead of hops

2.85/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color with a short foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malts, chipotle peppers and some hops.

T: The taste is very malty and a lot sweeter than I expected. The chipotle pepper flavor is merely in the background and doesn't overpower you. The hops presence is decent, but between the hearty malt character and the heat of the chipotles the hops are phased out. The after-taste is slightly smoky.

M: Smooth with a little crispness, medium body, medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish.

D: A little tasty, goes down ok, slightly filling, while this beer is more drinkable than most beers of the style that try to burn your mouth, I believe this might be a much better beer to cook with than to drink.

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured a clear copper color with a rocky head that quickly fell. The aroma is malty and smoky. The taste is smoky and malty – pepper is noticeable but not overbearing. There is a slight pepper aftertaste, but not a burn. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and seems a bit oily. I’m surprised at how drinkable this is….I might not have several in a row, but it is nicely balanced and not intimidating in the heat department.

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

Nice reddish amber color with thick tan head (that retains well).

Sweet malt aroma and the peppers' spiciness comes through, too.

Mmm, very well balanced maltiness, hops and (at first) a very subtle pepper. Well laced, making the next swallow all-the-more inviting. Drinks very clean & 'bright' for a beer with this degree of complexity.

I'll be honest, I expected more chipotle kick, but nonetheless, this beer is very solid, very drinkable, and could easily qualify as session brew.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. silk-screened bottle to a pint glass. I've had this one a couple times on-draught, but this is a first from the bottle. It's nice that Rogue introduced 12 oz. bottles in 2006, though the larger 22 oz'ers are still available also.

A: Pours a very pretty red-amber with a slight chill haze. Visible carbonation rises thoroughly through the glass to a fizzy head of large col-like bubbles. Within seconds the head is gone; only a bubbly smudge of film remains, off-centered.

S: Pouring, there was a discernable whiff of peppery heat. Where did it go? When I smell the finished pour, there's virtually no pepper aroma, only a faint malt and some dry hops. Either my nose doesn't work (possible), this beer is old (also possible) or the peppery aroma I thought I'd get from this doesn't exist. Regardless, smell was disappointing...

T: A pretty nice malty red ale or pale ale infused with some chipotle peppers. I remember the pepper spice & heat being more pronounced on-draught and again I wonder if this bottle is aged a little or if this is simply the more subdued result one gets out of the bottle. A decent flavor of malt with some crisp hops and a gentle chipotle pepper flavor that ends very smoky.

M: Moderately crisp with decent carbonation. A little lasting bitterness with some mild smokiness lingering in the finish. Light-medium body.

D: Good but not one of my favorites. A sort of novelty beer that I've had one or two excellent examples of (one by Calapooia comes to mind...). This isn't bad but isn't one I'd have very often either...worth a try...

4.18/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

At first, I wasn't too impressed with this, but the more I drink it the more I like it.

Typical red ale/amber ale appearance of a dark amber to copper colour. Head is vigorous and takes sometime to settle down. It leaves a decent layer and sticks to the side of the glass in clumps.

At first I thought this smelt like a generic albeit well-done pale ale: a good blend of malts and hops. But the more I poured, the more the beer warmed and the more nose I got, I could smell the heat of the chipotle. Sweet, smokey and spicey. No hops at all: the smoked chipotle overwhelm them, and even the malts are subdued by the pepper.

Initial tastes were of malts, but there is a slow creeping smoky spice flavour. I can definitely taste the peppers. As I swallow, there is a definite pepper taste, and the aftertaste leaves a lingering, faint burning in the back of my throat. Not unpleasant by any means, but rather, it is quite fitting.

This feels a bit thick on the tongue for the taste. I think this could benefit from a bit more carbonation, considering the spicy aftertaste. This is not something I would try to drink more than one of...the combination of flavours make this a potent brew.

2.85/5  rDev -19.9%

Bottle purchased from Union Square Trader Joes.

A-Orange brown and cloudy when poured into a tall thin mug. Nice four finger head has some serious staying power.

S-the nose on this is very bready and there is a nice NW hop profile as well. If i did not know the beer had chilis in it I probably would not be able to discern that quality. As is I do detect a faint spice.

T-This tastes more like a brown ale or a light pale ale. I really do not taste the chipotles at all here. Some nice malt up front followed by a lingering bitterness. After going through about half of this there is a mild spice sting in the back of my throat.

M-light body, light carbonation.

D-I was expecting more out of this as I love both Rogue and Chipotle peppers. I was hoping this could be an Ingredient in my chili as the chipotle should have added to the effect. This is basically a dumbed down Rogue offering.

2.73/5  rDev -23.3%

The appearance is a hazy autumn bronze with minimal head. The smell is very subtle, a hint of malts and not much else to speak of in the nose category.

It has a crisp, malty flavor. Roasty. I only notice a chipotle trait after a few sips, deep in my chest. Quite warm inside, almost heartburn-like.

Average body and carbonation. This one is good at first, but too warm for the lack of intense flavor that I had expected.

3.98/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured a light copper color with off-white sticky head. Velvety lacing.

Rasins, chipotle peppers (of course), smoke, and caramel in the nose.

Nice savory, smokey, and peppery flavors with plenty of caramel to balance those falvors out. Slight crisp and clean hop flavors detectable. Some bite from the peppers in the finish.

Smooth and light mouthfeel. Extremely drinkable in a wierd savory kind of way. Paired very nicely with a Portabella burger. I will buy again.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Pours a very clear copper/orange (way to go Pacman yeast). Thin, compact head dissipates extremely rapidly to nothing (likely due to chipotle oils in the beer). During sipping, there is no lacing that clings to the glass.

Scents of toffee, faint caramel, slight floral hop presence.

Medium to highly carbonated brew hits the palate and helps to spread the flavors around. Thin, but crisp mouthfeel. I would like a little more malt presence up front to balance the 35 IBUs of cascade and willamette hops. But, I do initially taste some earthy caramel and slight nutty flavor. The chipotle presence quickly exerts itself as the liquid warms. This pepper taste lingers for a long time on the palette after each sip, especially in the back of the mouth.

Although I couldn't drink pint after pint of this interesting ale, I do appreciate the creativity inherent in the recipe. The chipotle flavor is not overpowering and is quite interesting. I will purchase this brew again and have already started thinking about fun food pairings.

2.85/5  rDev -19.9%

Well, I've been a fan of Rogue beers for many years, so I expected a little more from this ale. It made me almost nervous that it was made with chipotle peppers; but it really didn't have an overly spicy taste. The "hotness" shows up on the finish a little. It is clean, and pure...and that's classic Rogue style, but the body was also light and a tad simple. It would be easy to pound a few of these; that is, if you like peppers.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

I've had this bottle for a few months and was waiting until I was in the mood for something different.

Poured a dark orange / amber color, hazy, with a head and fading into minimal lacing with in a minute or two (probably a result of the oils from the peppers).

Smelled sweet and malty, clean with a very slight hint of something but if I didn't know there was peppers in this I wouldn't have been able to pick it out as such.

The taste was immediately malty sweet with hints of caramel and almost zero hops. The pepper taste came across as a light smoky flavor in the after taste. Very nicely balanced with the sweetness of the beer. The body of the beer seemed a bit thick and syrupy but it went very well with the smokiness. This beer would go great with pulled pork or any BBQ.

Very nice beer. I'd buy this again specifically to drink with a BBQ meal. Rogue once again pulls out a different, fantastic beer.

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

The Appearance is orange and red, a little bit hazy. Smells of sweet roasted peppers and the taste is similar. Very interesting flavor. Spicy and sweet with roasted flavors which become more intense as the beer is consumed. Bold beer, not an everyday drinking beer but should be a treat on occasions.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales