Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,348 | Reviews: 697
3.88/5  rDev +9%

From a 22oz.

Three fingers of head. Hazy light orange. Depth changes with change in lighting. Looks thick and hazy. Only wispy specks of lace remain.

Has a smoky aroma, smoky malt. Smell is actually not that strong, considering. It's pleasant and interesting but weak.

Serious smoky BBQ flavor with a spicy jalapeño pepper taste. Aftertaste is a spicy, smoky bite. Has a seriously pungent flavor, sits on the back of the tongue like BBQ. Almost burns the palate.

Feel is thick and chunky. Sandpapery. Leaves a smoky film. In fact, the overall word is "smoky." It's sweet but pungent. Really interesting.

3.47/5  rDev -2.5%

i am a chef at a dogfish and i was blown away by this beer

A - Orangish color with off white head. Head dissipated very quickly. Very nice presentation.

S - Hoppy with a light smoked flavoring

T - I really .like the subtle chipotle taste. Especially with a spicy beer.

M - Thick but not too thick. Very nice.

D - Not so much. Not a session beer by any means.

1.49/5  rDev -58.1%

I had this beer quite a while ago, and forgot to review it. However, I can assure you that the experience remains fresh in my mind.

Pours a light orangeish hue with an off white head that dissipated somewhat quickly. Good robust mouthfeel (the best part of the beer).

Smells of smokiness and wheat/grass. The smell put me off almost immediately. The taste is ... not good. I wasn't expecting a chipotle flavored beer to taste like it was mixed with liquid pipe tobacco. There's really no malt here, and no real hops either. Just smokiness, wheat/grass, spiciness (it is bold and up front), and more smokiness.

In the last six months, I haven't finished a beer I sampled to review on maybe three occasions. The Sam Adams Triple Bock (twice -- just to make sure the first bottle didn't go bad), and now this.

Ugh.

3.21/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours amber (darker amber, with a copperish hue), producing a generous but short lived head. Head settles quickly to a thin lace across the glass.

Smells light on the malt, ot a lot of hops aroma, with a hint of chili pepper.

Tastes like a pale ale. Light, not too malty. Finishes to a hoppy and peppery glow. The pepper is not overpronounced, but you do feel it in the aftertaste and in your belly.

Mouthfeel is OK. It's mostly balanced leaning towards the spicier side. Carbonation seemed sharper for an American pale ale; a little less CO2 might bring out the malt more. Letting this beer breathe for a bit did help on that aspect.

Overall this is pretty low on the session beer factor. It is not bad - in fact it's interesting how the chili compliments the pepper. Unfortunately two servings of pepper will put your innards on alert more than two servings of hops. This is a pretty good beer and goes well with pizza, but I'll follow it up with something else.

I tried to file a BeerSpy report; unfortunately once you pick New Hampshire you have 14 stores to chose from and there is no 'Other/Not listed'. Purchased from Wine Society in north Nashua, NH which has a small handpicked selection of beers (and no dust).

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

It's taco night, so it seemed an appropriate time to try this.

Pours an amber color with good clarity, some bubbles slowly rising to the top and about two fingers of fluffy light beige head. Looks a lot like a pale ale if you didn't know better, and the retention is pretty good with a nice lace and some stick.

Smells a bit like a pale ale too, with some fruity hops and some malt sweetness. There's a spicy note to it but it's not that strong or out of the ordinary.

There's a bit more peppery flavor and heat in the flavor than the smell. Pale malt sweetness and some fruity hops are met by a bit of spicy heat and a smoky flavor midway through and into the finish. It's mild enough to not be bothersome, but rather adds a pleasant and unique flavor. Heat picks up a bit as it warms.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, appropriately carbonated. This is definitely a bit of a novelty beer and not something I'd have very often, but I'd have it again if the mood struck me right.

4.18/5  rDev +17.4%

Wow! First chile beer. Very delicious.

Ruddy brown color with some off white, creamy head that lasted for a while but left little lacing. Didn't really know what to expect from this style, though.

Smell is mostly sweet malt with some smokiness from the chipotle (smoke-dried jalapenos). Taste is malty up front, kind of sweet with a very unique sweet malt taste. The only action I am getting from the chiles is smoke right now.

Now i start to get the chile parts of the beer--a little burning in the back of the throat from the jalapenos, very balanced though--amazingly drinkable. Very good overall. I don't know how old this is or how age has affected it, but very good and very subtle with the chile--expertly done.

3.29/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber color with a crusty, rocky, off-white head that lasts a while and clings to the sides. Not much aroma, faint caramel and slightly fruity malt notes, and just hint of some bitter hop esters. Dry grains and dry bitter hops up front and earthy, woody notes in the back. Chipotle heat is perceived in the back of the throat and esophagus, and minimally on the palate. I don’t know how they achieved this but its nice that the chipotle heat doesn’t wreck the palate. Midway through a slight sweetness develops along with some organic soily smoky notes. The finish is pretty much clean at first but then chipotle flavor arrives way late. Light to medium body and mouthfeel is about average, could have done with something thinner. Chipotle flavor becomes more noticeable as it warms but still much lighter than I remember it the previous couple of times I’ve had this beer.

2.36/5  rDev -33.7%

A- Nice Amber color

S- I did not notice any chipotle smell after pouring although it had did have a pleasant aroma.

T- I agree that the taste is similar to a mild amber ale upfront. Definately felt some heat in the finish, which was nice and not too overpowering.

M- good mouthfeel

D- I am glad I tried it, but I don't think I will buy it again. I like spicy foods, but not a big fan of spicy beers.

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

A- 1in white creamy head sits on a slightly hazy orange-copper-amber brew with rising bubbles. decent foam retention, becoming a thing ring leaving moderate amounts of lace.

S- mild chipotle smoked jalapeno and adobo BBQ sauce. smells like the real thing. malty and sweet with slight citrus and bread aromas. maybe a lil bit of lime, the chipotle really takes over the whole thing. but in a good way.

T- pleasantly smoky, the smoked jalapenos really stand out over all other flavors along with the wood smoke and the special adobo sauce. flavor is still quite mild, and the chipotle isn't too hot, i believe alcohol is a solvent for capsaicin (the chemical that makes peppers hot) so it's no surprise this beer's not on fire. aside from pepper, faint charcoal and dark wood envelop a toasty malt and herbal hop finish. very well balanced.

MF- crisp, slick, with medium carbonation, goes down super smooth

D- this is a great tasty treat, but would be difficult to drink iin session, the chipotle taste might get annoying after a while.

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

A- Body is a bright orange hue-almost like it is on fire. Pours with a thin white head that quickly fades to a nice collar and very little lacing is left behind in the glass. Body also has a slight hazy translucency.

S- Chipotle peppers upfront with moderate strength. Piny hops and a sweet malt backbone.

T- Taste is similar to a mild amber ale upfront. Some piny hop flavor with a sweet malt backbone. The chipotle peppers kick in subtly for the finish while the piny hop flavor (and a slight bitterness) strengthens and the sweet malt begins to fade. A chipotle pepper taste and heat (heat is of moderate strength-not overbearing) is left to linger like a strong bitterness does in some IPAs. A slight malt sweetness also lingers.

M- Medium to low carbonation and body is a little thin.

D- I thought I was going to be blown away by chipotle peppers in this one; but I was surprised at how mild the flavor was. The peppers were presented very tastefully. I love trying unique brews like this and I think they are very interesting. Drinkability is high but its a novelty treat rather than something I want all the time. Job well done.

2.14/5  rDev -39.9%

A few ounces from a bomber poured into a small wine glass. Just had a sample. Translucent amber color, not much head.

Smells and tastes like smokey peanuts. Seems like sweet malt is TRYING to break through, but being beaten down by a smokey hot-sauce flavor. Slightly bacony, slight sting in the back of the mouth. It's sort of like a rauchbier, with spice added to the smoke.

Average carbonation - not too low, not too high, pretty decent. Probably the only thing the beer had going for it.

Seriously undrinkable. I couldn't even finish a sample. I love Rogue, but there's no reason to buy this other than to go "dude, check out how weird this beer is" or maybe to use as a marinade for beef jerky. I guess it does technically deliver what it says it will deliver, but I just can't in good conscience give this a good review.

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

Pours a reddish brown color with a big head that faded to a ring in about 5 minutes, nice lacing.

Smell is very hoppy, maybe some pepper smell way down in there, but if I wasnt looking for it I would get it.

Taste again very hoppy, had to search for the pepper but after a while my lips and mouth had a bit of a burn to them.

Mouthfeel was full with medium carbonation.
Drinkability was high, although I couldnt really see paying for it.

3.97/5  rDev +11.5%

I had this on tap at Slow's Barbeque in Detroit. The beer was served in a small chalice for some reason, I'm not sure why because this beer isn't too expensive in bottles. The bartender said the keg was expensive...

The beer was dark yellow golden colored with a thin white head. The aroma was surprisingly hoppy, I didn't get any chili peppers out of the smell. The taste was citrucy hoppy and a bit spicy, but the spicy heat must have come from peppers instead of hops. It was really pretty nice against the weak caramel malt flavors in the background. I plan to try it again from the bottle sometime.

3.72/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured into my Hennepin glass. Pours a reddish brown with a healthy inch head that settles slowly into a lacy 1/2 inch or so. The beer is cloudy and I don't see much carbonation. The smell starts out with a nice, fruity, gummi bear like hop aroma backed immediately with a smooth and sticky malt character. The taste is interesting. The taste is much like an APA with a malt undertone topped with a smooth, mild-to-moderate hop bitterness. The chile peppers are faint but noticeable right in the middle of the drink. The pepper taste isn't there but the oil and waxy pepper effect is present. A slightly metallic spice and a bitterness that is separate from the bitterness given by any hop I've had gives it away. It sits more at the front of the tongue and has a residual, consistent effect. After you rest a few minutes from drinking it the pepper taste opens up a bit more with an acidic green chile resemblance.

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

Appearance: Poured from the bomber into a pint glass. A strange murky brownish-red color with a nice off white two finger head that slowly dissipates. Unique looking beer.

Smell: Lightly hopped up front but then fading into a more classic beery aroma. Chipotle peppers are not as evident as I thought they would be. You really have to dig to get the aroma of them, and all you're left with really is a slight stinging sensation in the nostrils. Odd.

Taste: Not as spicy or different than I expected. Comes across at first as lightly to moderately hoppy then getting stronger in the hop department going down. A slight burning sensation remains in the mouth and throat after a pretty clean finish. Peppery character comes across faintly towards the middle, but you really have to be looking for it or you'll miss it. Good beer, but slightly disappointing.

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle, chilled into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy amber color with a nice bit of creamy (1/2") and tan head taht clings nicely to the glass as it slowly dissipates.

Aroma is mainly of some herbal and floral hops, while a bit of caramel and pepper hits my nose also. I can tell there's a bit of spice in there.

Sipping at first I get a lot of sweet caramel, along with a bittering, herbal hop flavor. A bit of spice and pepper comes through, but reminds me a bit of black pepper on the finish, and really wasn't what I expected. It leaves my lips tingling a little, so maybe the PEPPER IS IN THERE!?

Body is nicely balanced with nice sweetness and then bitterness. Body is medium with a nice mild carbonation and tingle from the pepper maybe.

Overall, more drinkable than expected. I've tried Cave Creek Chili Beer before, and it was near unbearable, so when I picked this up, it was more an experiment. A good one! Cheers!

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours out a dark hazy rust amber with a small dense tan head.

Smell. Combination of caramel and peppers. Though i have read the ibu level is at 35, i still get a good amount of hops.

Taste. More tastes of caramel, but definitely has a spice kick to go with it. I do get a taste of the hops, but certainly not hoppy at all. Malts are roasted and slightly smokey with tastes of caramel. I can definitely get the yeast taste that many rogue beers have. And as the beer warms, the peppers become stronger. Aftertaste is more of the yeast, with a good amount of spicy pepper.

Mouthfeel. Body is medium that seems full at first, but then gets a little slick as it warms in my mouth. has a nice balance, and the carbonation along with the peppers makes it very tingly on my tongue.

Overall, I like this beer, but is one i would have to be in the mood for to enjoy.

1.93/5  rDev -45.8%

22 ounce bottle from Cooke's Family Market in El Segundo

Poured a deep reddish brown color into my pint glass

One of the worst beers I have had in a long time, peppers and beer do not mix at all

Smell was rancid and taste was so spicy, I needed to drink water with it

Only drank about five ounces before giving it to my dad, he will drink anything

Not recommended

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%

A - Poured out a cloudy, orange/amber color with a soapy, off-white, two-finger head. It left some traces of lace.

S - It smelled of peppers and some toasted malt.

T - It tasted of malt. At first the peppery spices were very mild, but as it warmed up the jalepeno taste got hotter.

M - It was crisp and smooth. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This isn't a bad beer. I'm always a little leery of a Chile Beer, but this was really quite good.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance- Rust color with an off white head

Smell- Sweet and smoky. Possible hint of peppers.

Taste- A very smoky taste to it. In the aftertaste I could taste a slight hint of peppers.

Mouthfeel- A medium body with light carbonation.

Drinkability- It isn't a bad beer. Maybe a bit pricey but not too bad.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

I poured this into a pint glass

A - Slightly cloudy with a decent slightly reddish color.

S - I didn't notice anything outstanding other than some hops. Nothing really jumped out at me.

T - This was pretty decent. I was worried it would be a little too spicy or have a flavor I didn't like. It tasted like a decent ale with a little bit of a bite. I wouldn't know the reason for the bite if I didn't read the label, but it was decent.

M - Again, the slight bite was the most noticeable thing to me. Mostly on the sides of my tongue, it felt nice. Nothing bad about this one.

D - I could have a few of these. Of beers similar in style, this is probably about average. If I had to buy it, I would probably settle for a beer a little lighter on the wallet but with similar taste. This isn't a beer I would go out and buy a case of, but if my buddy offered it to me I'd have no problem drinking it.

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%

22 oz poured into pint glass

Appearance:Nice copper color, light carbonation, thin head that didn't stay long.

Smell: Malty and smoky. You can definitely smell chipotle.

Taste: To me it has that smoked stout flavor. Like with a Beamish. The chipotle flavor may be a bit strong. It's not spicy.

Mouthfeel: It feels light and a little undercarbonated.

Drinkability: I think it's a good beer. This is my first chili beer. It's very easy to drink, and an interesting combination. Try one.

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Chipotle Ale pours a copper color with an off white head from a brown twenty two ounce bottle. The aroma is malty, but there is a hint of some heat too. This beer has a very malty flavor, with only a hint of chili pepper which mostly is noticeable as a mild heat toward the end of the sip rather than as a flavor (although there is some flavor from the chili peppers, it is quite muted). Not bad, the only other chili flavored beer I've had is that abomination made by Cave Creek. Thankfully, this fares quite a bit better. Worth a try, if only to say you've had a chili flavored beer.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

A: Pours a nice clear copper color with a thin layer of head. Dissipates fairly quickly and doesn't leave much lacing.

S: Not much of a smell. A little bit of malt and smoke, but not much.

T: The malt hits you first with some sweetness, followed by some hints of smoke. The pepper flavor comes out the end, but isn't dominating or overpowering. It's subtle but present. I found it interesting that some sips of this beer that I took were better than others. A few sips had a really nice hops/pepper finish to them that was quite tasty.

M: Smooth, felt a little thin, but overall not bad. Good carbonation.

D: For me, this is an occasional beer. It's tasty, but not something I'd want all the time. Definitely worth a try though.

3.47/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours a hazy medium copper color. Maybe a quarter inch light tan head, dissipates quickly, leaving minimal lace.

Aroma is malty, with some subtle smoky notes.

Flavor is malty upfront, quickly moving to a nice smoky finish. Pepper bite comes through more into the aftertaste, where it couples with some mild hop notes.

Medium body, moderate carbonation. Somewhat thick, almost syrupy mouthfeel. Balance seems fine. Honestly, I think this would be better if you were left with just the smoky element, and didn't have the pepper bite. Overall, an interesting beer, but not something I would be likely to pick up again.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales