Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +25.2%

Pours out a rich amber with moderate carbonation and a khaki head that settles to a sturdy, dimpled, and wavy 1/2". Leaves Very fine lace patterns. Smell is of faint chipotle at first, followed by a rich bready and nutty maltiness, floral hops, a smokiness (removed from the chile) not unlike that of a Scottish ale, and some buttery notes. Chipotle really comes out in the forefront of the flavor. Beneath it, I get a bready and nutty malt backbone, filled out with some soft, floral hops flavors. Finishes dry and slightly bitter. Mouthfeel is substantial, not too heavy or thin, with a softness in the carbonation that makes this wonderful. Leaves a little heat on my lips and a little bit less on the tongue. This would be a great session.

This could be written off as some sort of novelty beer, but I really think the chipotle works excellently at accenting the pale ale/amber ale base. Really reminds me of a Scottish ale but with a hint of chile.

goochpunch, Nov 12, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +15.7%

22oz. Bomber

I passed by this beer quite a few times and was always a little apprehensive about trying it. I felt a little adventurous today at the store so I picked up a bomber of it. We'll see if it was a smart thing to do or not.

I poured this into a pilsner glass so I could get the best idea of what it looked like. I poured a murky orangish amber. A solid slightly half inch off-white head sits on top that fades to a quarter inch but sticks around. Lots of carbonation rising from the depths.

I stick my nose in the glass and at first the only thing I smell is an open can of chipotle peppers. I know I'm smelling a beer but as I do my mind can't decipher between a beer and the peppers. It's strange. Playing tricks on my mind. After trying to smell deeper I do come up with a decent caramel backbone that just barely fights its way through the smoke. I actually like the smell even though it's not like a beer. It makes my mouth water.

Now for the taste test...-braces myself-...Wow! nothing like what I expected. The front starts out like a good red ale. Good caramel maltiness, grainy start. Mid-palate is where the smokiness kicks in. It's a heavy dark campfire like smokiness. The chipotle hits faintly at the swallow and lingers in the aftertaste. Good balance. The longer this beer sits the more the malts shine through and the more heat you get in the back of the throat. It must accumulate. I gave this what I did for taste because it goes above and beyond all others considering the style.

Mouthfeel is good. It's medium bodied and creamy which I think also helps the balance of all this beer. Finishs dry. A slight heat in the throat the more you drink.

Drinkability is good considering what kind of beer it is. I can't imagine another chili beer going down as good.

Overall I'm shocked at the quality of this beer. I was expecting the worst but got something much different. For what this beer is it does a fantastic job at it. Give it a try if you see it. Even if you don't like it it is an expierence worth having.

Slainte!

joe1510, Oct 29, 2006
2.05/5  rDev -42.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured hazy amber with a normal/abundant amount of head, which formed in some large bubbles. Aroma is very malty, bready, and pleasant. Previously, I'd had another chile beer which turned me off from this category, so I was a bit reluctant to take a sip. Flavor was extremely malty on the nose, with a bit of spice on the back-end. Not great, but not awful. Although I love chiles, spicy food, and preparing and eating all the foods that go with that (salsa, guacamole, anything Mexican, spicy tomato sauces and so on, after these two experiments with chile beers, I think I'm not going to meddle with this category further in the future.

BeerBelcher, Oct 26, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

Moderate golden amber with a half finger head that melts to very sticky lacing.
Aromas are light sweet amber malt then very much jalapeño chilies with a bit of smoke....aka...chipotle!
Taste of sweet amber malt and toasted malts and smoke. Light chipotle chile burn on the swallow. As you sip more you notice the chipotle chiles sooner in the flavor.
This is really really balanced...surprisingly...the sweetness of the malts....the smokiness...then the fire of the chile.
Mouth feel is clean with no cloying...a little chile burn in the back of my throat.
I expected a gimmick beer and maybe it is...but it is extremely well balanced and meant to be enjoyed.
I enjoy it.

IntriqKen, Oct 21, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

I paired this beer with some pizza on a nice fall night and was pleasantly suprised. While at first I did not care for the beer after a few sips I really began enjoying it.

A - A nice rich hazy copper color with a nice little white lace that has very good retention. The beer poured nicely and gave it a very attractive pour. I served it in a goblet and felt that it was a good choice.

S - The smell was the best by far as this beer offered up some nice smoky malts with a subtle sweetness to it. It was tangy anf toothy in parts and and even had some fruitiness to it. Pepper and spices were very prevelant and were even more present as this beer warmed.

T - Smooth and sweet with a ncie tangy toothiness to it. The pepper and spices became very prevelant as the beer warmed up. There was some great smoky malt flavor to it. The beer had a small bite but it was there.

ryantupy, Oct 19, 2006

Pours a slightly hazy copper amber color with a pillowy light tan head that fades into a solid sheet of lace. Nose is sweet malt and smoked peppers. Taste begins with sweet caramelized toasted malt followed by smoky charcoal and a final spicy chipotle kick. The heat is definitely noticeable but is not overpowering. Overall this brew incorporates the smoky chili pepper flavor very well. I’d love to pair this with some barbequed brisket.

Morris729, Oct 18, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -1.1%

Interesting indeed.

Pours a clear red-brown, with a big frothy off-white head. Nice looking beer.

Smells surprisingly malty. There's a definite spiciness, but it's subdued -- I don't know if I would have identified it as chipotle in a blind tasting.

The taste brings yet another surprise -- rather than the somewhat sweet malty beer I expected from the aroma, I got a smoky treat. There's a very little bit of spicy heat, as well, which builds over the course of the drink. Very interesting.

Mouthfeel is nice, but the spice could be a bit much after more than one...not that it's overly hot, but it's a bit odd.

Overall, a really interesting beer, and probably better than I expected. And after my tasting, the rest of the bottle went very well with my barbecue beef on sourdough.

thesilverhand, Oct 14, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

AP: A cloudy dark amber with red hues. Bubbly, foamy, off-white head.

Nose: Pretty dang hoppy with sweet smelling malt and wheat with a hint of chili pepper.

Taste: A hoppy and malty balance, herbal and smoked pepper dominated flavor, with a leafy hop ending.

MF: DRY-hop but crisp and clean. Actually very refreshing.

DA: Good scores for the style, not exactly my favorite style so it's not as easy to drink as some.

GratefulBeerGuy, Oct 03, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

So, I decided to pick this up after trying a homebrewed chile beer a week or so ago and enjoying it. In fact this is a beer I never thought I would try. It poured a pale amber/medium orange color into my pint glass. Smells of sweet sweet malts, and hints of smoky chipotle peppers. Taste is more of the same, a rush of sweet malts, followed by a smoky chipotle pepper taste at the end. Not really spicy, but hints of spicyness. On a 1-10 scale on spicyness i'd rate this a 0.5. Drinkability actually isnt too bad on this, a nice addition for a mexican meal, or equally a decent pre-dinner beer. Quite enjoyable and recommended to all for at the very least a try of something new and different. I probably would have ranked it higher if they had used regular habanero or serrano peppers instead of chipotle peppers. In my opinion it would have been better without the smoke taste but thats just me.

Iguana, Sep 30, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -3.9%

12oz. bottle

Pours a murky amber-brown with a small white had that fades. No lacing to speak of.

Aroma of herbal hops with a distinct smokiness. No pepper / spicyness in the smell.

Tasts like it smells. A hint of malt upfront that leads into a herbal hop flavor with a nice smokiness. There is just a hint of heat that hits the back of the throat as it washes down, but very subdued. There is a slightly bitter hop flavor that lingers.

Medium body, low carbonation.

A decent beer, and quite drinkable - the chipotle is more of an afterthought. It's more like a lightly smoked amber ale with a little extra hops.

MaltyGoodness, Sep 24, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

This is the first beer of this style that I have ever tried. I must say that I was pleased. Pours a orangish/light brownish/reddish like amber color. It initially has a nice white head about an inch thick that starts to shrink very quickly to almost nothing. Leaves some very decent lacing though. Has a sort of smoked aroma with malt, some caramel, and spices definetly strongly present, hence the chipotle. Tastewise there is some bread and caramel present along malt and most of all spice. this is probabley the most spicy beer I have ever had. The spices have a burning effect on the palate, like one would imagine having in thier mouth after doing shots of whiskey or bourbon, not quite that strong, but still stronger than I have ever had in a beer before. Has a spicy, slightly burning aftertaste that lingers on the palate. Surprisingly (at least to me) I found the mouthfeel to be frothy and creamy with moderate carbonation. Fairly easy to drink. I am happy to say that this was one of the most unique beers I have ever had. Every beer lover should try this at least once, especially those who like spicy food (like myself).

Eric

neenerzig, Sep 23, 2006
2.33/5  rDev -34.7%

Had a 22 oz. bottle of this beer,made with actual chipotle peppers. I had to try this beer.Poured into a pint glass.Nice amber color.beautiful fluffy white head.Had a smokey,very slight vineagar.spicey smell.
It tasted ok at first,but the aftertaste I didn't like, I felt like I was drinking it out of an old shoe.My friends also tasted it and didn't like it either. Maybe it would have tasted good with chips and salsa. This the only beer from Rogue I don't like.

jcdiflorio, Sep 18, 2006
3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

The first chile beer I've ever reviewed.

Appearance- Pours a very deep copper amber hue with only light bubbling but some noticeable lacing. The color is just awesome, I must reitorate. A little feline foam remains for only a couple of sips.

Smell- Very oddball smokey amber malt aroma. Not like the amber malts but of mildly spicey vegetables. Prety unique. The chipotle does makes its presence known.

Taste- Starts with a normal red ale toasty and biscuity flavor. Then the toast turns into smoke. Pepper smoke. A nice, easy, and very palateable chipotle aroma. Very interesting mix of a traditional amber ale. with soem smokey and slighlkty spicey peppers.

scruffwhor, Sep 18, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

12oz longneck bottle with same artwork as the 22oz. This is the first time I've come across this brew in a 12oz bottle. Pours into my tulip glass a nice deep amber / red hue with a strudy half inch of tight bubbly foam. Aromas begin with sweet bready, slightly caramelized malts. The subtle smoky, lightly peppery aroma works its way in followed by some nice citric, herbal hops that add an interesting twist. Works together pretty well here.

First sip brings a smooth, caramely, biscuity maltiness that is quickly met by a smoky pepper infusion. I get a mellow heat sting as it rolls across the palate mixing in with some fruity notes. The herbal, lightly citric hops show up on the way down. A bit on the dry side overall, this one finishes with a pretty nice chipotle kick and a bit of lingering heat. Overall this is a tasty, kinda smoky brew with a nice hot kick that never ends up being too much.

Mouthfeel is crisp and smooth with a burst of carbonation in each sip. Goes down quite easily and I really enjoy the mix of smoky pepper flavor alongside the nice maltiness of this brew. Probably the best chili beer I've sampled yet. Doubt I could have more than a few in a sitting, but this is still a nice change of pace. I'd say to give this one a try!

orbitalr0x, Sep 16, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Rogue Chipotle Ale
Bomber
Brewed Spring 06, buvar 09/06
Medium pour in a stein.

Poured a hazy reddish brown with a small rocky white fully diminishing head.

Smelt of roasted habaneros and light dark bread.

Taste was upfront light sweet breadiness with the bitter roasted habanero taste kicking in afterwards and a touch of almost lemony acidity for a finish that is hidden by the spicyness. Mouthfeel was light, watery, with soft carbonation and light burning peppers.

Overall, the roasted habanero taste is subdued enough for this ale to be enjoyable, but is otherwise fairly boring tastewise.

xav33, Sep 13, 2006
2.83/5  rDev -20.7%

I have to say I was a bit disappointed after reading the reviews here then actually drinking one of these. I was expecting to have something that would either be pretty vile or pretty dang tasty to me since I do like chilis and spicy food. Well I did not get either really. It pours a nice yellow with a bit of a red hue and a slightly white head that laces pretty quickly. The smell to me was a bit like fermented fruit with just a hint of smokiness in the background. The taste was what kind of let me down but not in a horrible way. It ended being so average to me, I was expecting to either be wowed or just grossed out by something that tasted too much like peppers. I don't know maybe I'm crazy but it just tasted like a very average thin ale with just a tiny hint of smokiness in the background. The immediate aftertaste is just the smokiness but after a while if you let it sit on your tongue I get a hint of burnt chili seeds. It was not too bad for me getting through the one bomber but I gave it a 2.5 on drinkability because I could definately imagine it turning off alot of people and just left me pretty unimpressed either way. Not horrible or anything but I don't think I would buy another one. I cracked open a Stone Pale Ale after drinking this one and that just tasted soooo good after drinking this stuff.

TheBeerWolf, Sep 08, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper color with a frothy head that hangs around as a thick ringlet while depositing all kinds of lacing around the glass

Smell: Mellow smoked aroma wafts up from that malty base; a vague whiff of canned chipotles en adobo as well

Taste: Malty backbone is quickly subsumed by the smoked chili flavor; the heat builds on the tongue with each sip and eventually becomes the only distinctive flavor

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: This would be a fun novelty in a 12 oz. bottle; in a bomber, it is a tough beer to finish

brentk56, Sep 04, 2006
3.35/5  rDev -6.2%

Well I was a little amazed that someone would actually combine hot peppers and beer but i was very happy with the outcome. Poured a deep amber color with the smell of a little pepper. Didnt taste so much like pepper but more like a smokey bbq. Almost as if you were drinking the smoke off of a grill is the only way i can compare it. Definetly worth a try once.

TrickKnee, Sep 03, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +19.9%

Ok so defiantly better than I expected...

Appearance is pretty bland, although with it being a spring release and it being near fall, what do you expect.
Smell and Taste were very good. At first the beer just smelled and tasted of dry malt, but as some warming occured a nice smell and taste of jalapeno broke through.
I felt like I was eating some medium wings.

supercolter, Aug 31, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Overheard some guy at a recent beer festival complaining about one of the more experimental offerings: "Keep all that fruit and spices and shit outta my BEER!" I appreciate a pure approach to any craft, but for those of us who feel beer is somewhere between craft and art, his remarks seemed short-sighted. But it takes all kinds, even the people who don't want pineapple in their pizza or keyboards in their rock 'n' roll.

So it was with brave heart and palate that I reached for this strange Rogue offering several days later. Now I open it and find a light-tan head with a slight red tint to it. The color of the beer is also very red, with sparse and mellow bubbles.

The aroma is strongly of chipotle but even more strongly of the smoke they were smothered in. It's a very nice and, for a beer, very unusual smell. If I were blindfolded I probably wouldn't guess this was beer I'm smelling.

Flavor-wise, well, you gotta love smoked beer to get anything out this. As with the aroma, the smoke comes on much stronger than the actual chipotle flavor. But, chipotle being a very distinctive flavor, it's here, and the smoke/pepper combination is a hairy thing to have in the mouth in liquid form. Yikes. Had the smoke been a little less powerful, and the beer itself carried through something, ANYTHING resembling traditional ingredients, it would've helped offer more depth than it does. It has no depth, and thus strikes these tastebuds as a novelty.

Mouthfeel is fairly dry and the spicy and smoky elements linger long.

The first sip is cool. The second sip you start noticing its weaknesses. By the fifth sip I'm not sure I can make it through this bomber-size bottle. Maybe they should sell this in 6 oz. bottles. A novelty beer, a novelty bottle. Glad to have had it, and I still don't agree with the ultra-purist beer drinker referenced above...but no doubt, neither one of us are big fans of this particular experiment.

Metalmonk, Aug 30, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Rogue Chipolte pours a delicious looking deep copper with a weak head and respectable lacing. The aroma is malt heavy and quite inviting. Malt initially dominates the taste as well, though soon is overtaken by the spicy character of the pepper. Leaves the palate smoothly, but a slight burn remains on the lips.

Overall this is an interesting drinking experience, though I cannot imagine desiring much more than one glass at a sitting, and even that one glass proved a bit challenging to finish off at the end. The pepper character strikes me as somewhat of a novelty, and I would just prefer a strong hop character every time.

hermesch, Aug 30, 2006
2.75/5  rDev -23%

No idea about how well this bottle will have aged since it's currently nearly the start of fall and this is a spring seasonal.

Pour is blackish tinged golden. Opaque. A modest, 2 mm thick white head sits on top of the beer, and the overall apperance of the ale is rock solid. The smell seems to be mainly malty...there are some light spicy edges, but they really aren't as prominent as I was expecting them to be.

Taste starts out malty, like the nose and that seems to be all there is for a bit, but then the chipotle (hot and spicy) decideds to show up and make its presence felt. The spice isn't absolutely house burning, but it is definitely distinct and strong enough to grab your attention. Swallow is a light bit of hoppy bitters, and then gone with only a lingering hot feel from the chipotle. Not the most depthy taste in the world, but I like the hot sensation and the uniquness of it in my still limited experience with this style of beer is enough to make me like this brew.

The mouth on this is average for beer in general. It's not thick, at all, but it does have some nice sensations courtesy of the chipotle, so it still maintains average. Drinkability, a challenge. This beer is ok when you first pour it, but do not allow it to warm, or nurse it slowly because it seemed to get harder to drink as time went on. I think this would be improved vastly by either sharing the beer (a bomber is probably too much of this flavour for one person) or by pairing with a similarly aggressive food.

Overall, this might be a gimmick, but it seems to work, for about the first 1/2 of the bottle at least. Best split with someone else, or paired with very spicy food.

CortexBomb, Aug 30, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

I saw this next to santa's private reserve, so I hope to god that it's fresh.

smell: fruity and of chipotle peppers, almost smells rubbery.

Appearance: Decent head, not a whole lot of retention, BUT i imagine peppers would effect head retention due to acidity.

Taste: Some peppers on the palate. Somewhat spicy, but not really. Hotness comes out as the beer warms. took me a while to get used to

Mouthfeel: decent, neither thick nor thin, somewhat crisp carbonation.
Drinkability: Good with a meal. Had a little bit of a spicy burger that it went well with, but I don't think it's a session beer.

I was kind of disappointed. When I see chipotle ale, I expect a little bit more spice. This is nothing for me. If it were a salsa it would be between medium. If you like that then try it.

jasonjlewis, Aug 24, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

I didn't know what to expect with this beer, but I am pleasently surprised

pours a wonderful copper color. some tanish foam that really doesn't last, nor does it lace. sweet nose, you can smell the peppers, in a good way

taste is a very interesting mix. matly, is the 1st thing i get. then there is the rest, and the rest is very much a nice change of pace. no real hop presence, but the peppers are there. not in a burn your mouth sense, but more of a pep, a kick, that show up when you least expect it. makes for a very intersting mix, and i recomend you try it if you can. Slighty chew mouthfeel, and surprisingly drinkable. nice brew to get!

PSUDREW, Aug 20, 2006
3.4/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Purs a clear copper color with clingy carbonation and a bubbly head. No lacing.

S: No chile smell, just a slight vegetal aroma

T: Somewhat malty with a chipotle flavor that is subtle at first and slightly intensifies. Overall, the chile taste is a bit subdued (a good thing I think). Not much else going on.

M: Medium to light in body with moderate carbonation. After several sips, I'm starting to feel a bit of heat on my lips from the peppers. An unusual sensation for beer drinking, but not unpleasant.

D: A pretty decent beer, but not one I'm thrilled with. Definitely an unusual experience and worth trrying, but I can't see myself drinking this on a regular basis, or even an occassional basis.

klewis, Aug 18, 2006