Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Slightly amber with moderate white head that gives some lace in my pilsner glass. Smell is peppery spice with malt backing it up and even a touch of smoke(?). The taste is a very refined and contained chile flavor the plays well with the malt and remains it the dry finish of the beer. I dug this beer and it went well with my pull beef sandwich. Drinking this by itself might be much for me but I think this beer shines when paired with food or split in a day of drinking.

3.62/5  rDev +1.7%

Oh wow. I was really impressed with this one, not knowing what to expect, really. It poured a bit darker than I was thinking it would. Slightly cloudy medium bronze orange colour with a slightly off-white head that went away pretty quickly. Smell is mostly sweet malts and smoke. Taste is more of the same, with very little hot pepper presence. Only a very slight tingle, and that's kind of hit or miss. Sometimes it's present, and sometimes not. Actually, there is a slight heat that's noticeable many seconds after you swallow your sip. Quite smooth and drinkable. Very impressive, for what it is. I'd definately buy this again. Nice job, Rogue.

3.61/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

7/21/2005 $4.69 22 oz. No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a brilliant medium brown that is crystal clear, and speckled with hints of claret, adorned by an inch of creamy white/tan head.

Aroma:

Surprisingly sweet with a strong malt aroma, and only a touch of peppery spice in the end of the nose.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Very smooth and sweet upfront, followed by a drying bitter aspect from the hops. Some heat sneaks in towards the end, but not nearly what I was expecting from one of my favorite peppers. No pepper qualities whatsoever in the flavor, which is somewhat of a letdown.

3.4/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I was nervous about this beer. I used it to cook with once before when making Sloppy Joes. It got left on the stove and heated to hot so I never got to drink it. The Sloppy Joes that day were very spicy (maybe due to other ingredients) and other review said this beer is "hot hot hot." I am not a real big fan of *really* spicy foods so I never bought a bottle.
Tonight at the Lancaster Homebrew club someone brought a bottle and I figured I could handle a 4 oz serving. It turns out the pepper flavor is apparent but not as overwhelming as I had anticipated. It may build in the following 18 ounces, but for a small serving it was interesting.

Appearance: Orangeish amber body

Smell: Not as big as I expected but there is a bit of sweet malts fruit and of coarse spicy pepper.

Taste: Very smooth mellow malt flavor with hints of bread and then the pepper starts. There are hints of smoked malts as well. Overall it is not as “chipolte” as I feared. It is more a tangy bite and a dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp medium body beer that pulls and tugs at your cheeks.

Drinkability: I probably won’t buy this beer again. It is not the kind of thing I would want to just sit down and drink. Not a chance. It is a trophy beer in my book. One of those, “Okay, now I tried that one next” kind of things. I could see it having a place in cooking or if you really like spicy foods and wanted to really go nuts with more spicy beer. Other than that I say this one is worth trying once for the experience.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.02/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours an orangish red with an off white head that leave lacing. The smell is very smoky with some spicy notes. The taste is smoky up front (not as much as Rogue's smoked ale) with a dry finish that leaves the spice of the chipotle lingering in your mouth. This is a meduim bodied brew with a good mouthfeel and balance. The taste is not very overpowering and is easy to drink. I cannot see myself drinking more than a couple of these, I would suggest drinking these along with a nice BBQ, or the flavor could get old. A very interesting brew, done very well. This is worth checking out especially if you like Rogue's smoked ale.

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Pours a deep amber with a one-finger dense head. Decent retention. Aromas of caramelly malt, overlaid with a distinct smoky, almost sweet spicy smell. BBQ in a beer...

Taste: Wow. Punch of smoke right up front, followed by a wonderful maltiness that brings to mind Oktoberfests (looking on the bottle, I see that they do indeed use Munich malt), and then a slight heat as the spice from the peppers brings it all together in the finish. Great, dry finish that leaves a faint spice and smoke on the tongue. Hard to be more descriptive than this, as it is best described as "chipotles in a glass".

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body, medium carbonation.

Drinkability: If you like chipotles, then this is a great beer to pair with summertime BBQs. It goes down remarkable easy, and is not at all rough like other chile beers can be (Crazy Ed, I'm looking in your direction...).

Overall, an excellent beer and a testament to craft brewers' innovation.

3.84/5  rDev +7.9%

Wow, I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I picked it up out of the curiosity of possibly using chipotle in my own homebrew and wanted to see how the pros at Rogue managed. I was immediately struck by the sweet hot smokey smell of chipotle chiles. It was a carbon copy of opening a bag of actual chipotle chiles. Having heard horror stories of other chile beers, I was a little worried. I poured the beer, a burnt umber, into a pint glass with no head. Carbonation was there, just not in the form of any amount of head. In fact, it tickled my tonge with the carbonation and the lack of head did not help the mouthfeel. The real surprise came in the first sip. Absolutely a chipotle beer. I could taste smoky jalapenos, complete with spicy aftertaste. I even noted a bit of a hop presence. But the more notable offsetting flavor was a carmel sweetness in the malts. It balanced the spicy-smoky chipotle nicely. I had a hard time drinking a lot of this at once due to the spiciness--I felt like too much of it would give me heartburn. Therefore, I spaced it out over a period of grilling veggies, eating dinner, and cleaning up. It actually went fantastically with my grilled veggie sandwich. I marinated some portabellos, zuccini, and red pepper in olive oil and balsamic vinegar and grilled them. I toasted the bread and spread hummos on both sides. The result matched the chipotle ale perfectly. Meaty portabellos worked with the smoky beer. Tangy hummos offset the spiciness. The sweet red peppers picked up the sweetness in the malts. The zuccini... well fortunatly there was not a vegetable taste in the beer, so that was just extra. I probably would not buy another one of these unless matching it with food. Chipotle beer with veggies, who would have thought?

3.62/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Pours an orangish amber color with. Small head that dissipated quickly
S: Smell is smoky and slighlty malty
T: Taste is peppery, smokey. Tastes like chipolte jack cheese
M: Mild to moderate amount of carbonation
D: Interesting beer, would go very good with a good cheese.

4.2/5  rDev +18%

Appearance- Clear copper with a mild head.

Smell- Malty and spicy, almost smoky. Some piny/citrusy hops.

Taste- Malt at first then a wisp of smoke, then the slight heat. Nothing too over powering, just mild enough to balance the malts. Much better than I had expected.

Mouthfeel- Crisp and clean, full bodied and mildly carbonated.

Drinkability- Very nice, I like it much more than I thought I would. The pepper is definitely noticable yet not enough to put me off of the brew. I'll buy it again.

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear amber, a rocky and dense half inch tan head. Some thin lacing. Smells smoky and, predictably, of peppers.

Taste is a biscuity malt. You can even taste some hops. The pepper flavor is light enough to just balance with the malt. Jalepeno spice almost acts as the hops in this beer. Mouth is long and sticky. Not a bad invention.

4.12/5  rDev +15.7%

This beer poured an amber body with a white head.

Nose was a mix of meat, caramel, smoke, chipotle peppers, smoke gouda, ham and brown sugar. Very reminiscent of a rauchbier but with an interesting twist with the chipotle smell. Even as a big smoked beer fan, the nose makes me very hesitant to continue. The chipotle smell scares.

Taste is surprisingly light with an immediate hit of that that dry burnt smoked chipotle pepper. Not really as much heat or bite as you might expect. It's surprisingly mellow and very easy drinking. Mild caramel, some toffee, very faint earth hops and a mild bitterness. A tad bit of heat comes through in the finish but for the most part stays in the background.

Sort of a novelty rauchbier, but it's honestly exactly what it claims to be. It is a Chipoltle flavored ale. Nothing more and nothing less. It might be interesting if they could offer this beer with varying heat levels like salsa (mild, medium, etc), but beyond pretty good, although I can't see myself ever buying this again except for it's novelty.

3.38/5  rDev -5.1%

This was a pretty good-looking beer, cloudy amber with a medium- sized head. Aroma was Ale-like, with some pepper spiciness. I honestly cannot tell whether it was chipotle or some other pepper. Taste was hoppy with some warming spiciness. Fairly thin mouthfeel. I think this is a beer one would try as a curiosity.

3.11/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours a cloudy brown with a distinctly orange hue and a thick light tan head that lasts reasonably well and leaves a little lacing. Aroma is smoky, with a dark fruitiness and just a hint of hot peppers. Taste is once again dominated by a smoky note, which I've never been fond of. It's probably because, being from an Atlantic province, it's a smell and taste indelibly associated with fish for me. At any rate, other flavours include breads and plum, and the finish is dominated by the heat of the peppers, which try valiantly to save this beer for me, but ultimately come up short. Not bad in it's way, but not up my alley at all.

3.4/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from a bottle with no freshness date. The color is a reddish brown with orange high lights. There is a thin off-white head that dissipates quickly, leaving no lacing.

The aroma smells a bit spicyand somewhat smoky, a little like a taco salsa. It also smells like a typical ale until you get further down the glass. The taste is pretty hoppy and blended well with some malts. It is followed by a definite hot spiciness along with more hop bitterness. It leaves a spicy taste on the back of the tongue, just like a mild salsa. The spiciness is actually warming. This is definitely different, but, not one I could drink more than one of.

3.88/5  rDev +9%

This is a lovely cloudy amber in color with a short head that reduces to a quarter-inch in my glass. It's quite nice.

It smells faintly of smoke. I'd say it smells of smoked malts but Rogue notes that just the chipotle peppers are smoked, go figure!

The flavor is nicely malty with a smoky and slightly spicy aftertaste, thanks to the peppers.

I'm also impressed with this beer's body. It's substantial and chewy, something I always like in a beer.

I remember having this beer several years ago at Rogue's brewery, before I'd ever had smoked beers. I thought it was awful. Having expanded my palate, I'd say this is a fine beer. It's not as smoky as Rogue's Smoke ale and far less smoky than rauchbiers, but if you like a tiny bit of chile spice, you should give this beer a try.

3.37/5  rDev -5.3%

22 oz bomber.

Hazy rust color, with a small tan head covering the top. Aroma is very smoky up-front, with some light citrus also..interesting.
Rich taste is surprisingly smoky with the addition of the peppery spiciness of the chipotle...with some of their signature Pacman yeast tagged on. The maltiness ties this all together pretty well. I'd have to say it's the best "chile beer" i've tried to date by default...all of the others were pretty much crap.

Quite different, I must say...but I don't try a lot of "hot pepper" beers, so that's probably to be expected. An interesting brew that would be a great, unique one to pair with Mexican food.

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

A- So this is one of those beers that you always see, but are kinda afraid of...I took my chances today....The beer poured a clear dark amber color with some orangish tints. The head was a 1/6 of an inch and left a white lace around the glass.
S- Smokey, spicy. The chili pepper is definitely predominant. There is also a very mild sweetness....it really reminds me of some kind of hot sauce, but not quite as spicy.
T- the pepper hits at the tip of the tongue, and in the finish. The body is rounded out with some sweet malts(which at first appear to balance the flavor), but then the chili kicks back in. There is a long lingering after taste of chili pepper....and some times even salsa.
M/D- The ale is medium bodied, medium to low carbonation...It is an interesting beer, and as I sit here with it I can really appreciate it, but it is definitely not something that I would drink very often. I has taken me a really long time to finish this bomber....its a slow drinker.

2.9/5  rDev -18.5%

Nice head that didn't hang around leaving ok lacing. A smokey nose. A HUGE smokey flavor with the slight bite coming through at the end. I expected a heavier mouthfeel and I thought it was a little on the thin side. Overall a really interesting beer and I recommend that you try it. I couldn't finish what I had been given - I found the taste too overwhelming to drink a pint of it but i liked it. I am thinking of using it in recipes, maybe in my Beer Cheese soup, or maybe in place of a stout in gravy.

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

$5.99 for a bomber at Jack's. Silkscreened red and cream colored bottle. Brewed with Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich malts and Chipotle peppers. Hopped with Cascade & Willamette Hops. "Dedicated to Spanish Author Juan de la Cueva, who, in 1575, wrote of a Mexican dish that combined seedless chipotles with ale." Silver medal in the World Beer Championships.

OG=12 plato, 35 IBU, 82 AA, 23 Lovibond.

Pours out to a very clear deep red, as though it was colored with food coloring. Forms a nice whipped off-khaki head with very good retention and chunky lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma is exciting...I smell smoke like a Schenkerla Marzen to a mild degree, mixed with the subtle spiciness of fresh chipotle peppers. Clean ferment. The mouthfeel is crisp at first, yet very smooth in it's finish with a medium body. Taste begins with a fresh blast of smoke, followed by some spicy pine and grapefruit hops. The hops are moderate in bitterness which mix perfectly with a piquant heat from the peppers. The peppers linger on the tongue in the aftertaste, balanced by toasted malts and prickly hops. The finish is dry with a nice warmth on the lips. Alcohol is imperceptable. A very rich, flavorful brew.

Overall, this is wonderfully balanced...a wonderful brewing feat when it would be oh so easy to screw a beer like this up. This is one of those beers that sounds like a bad idea but turns out wonderfully, which is true to Rogue brewing history. Actually very easy to drink, but a bomber is going to be enough for me. I would get this again for sure, and would recommend you try it if you're looking for something different.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

Have never really heard much of this chipotle ale until now, and even though Rogue has a good track record with their line, I still get a small shudder when I think of chile pepper beers, thanks to Crazy Ed's. But one must move on from such traumas...

Came in a 22 oz. brown bomber, predominantly red and white colour motif on the label. It pours out red as well, only turning to a dark amber/deep copper hue with a bit of a haze when held to the light. Tall spongy off-white head on the pour, but it settles fairly quickly.

A smoky quality on the nose, that of tanned hide and of what can only be the smoked jalapenos mentioned on the side of the bottle's label. Can't really pick out anything beyond that.

There's a rich caramel malt buried under it all there, but it is easily overwhelmed by a weathered and worn leather flavour at the start, a bit peaty even, moving to a smoked and a bit charred sensation, and finishing with a spicy zing of jalepeno which adds sensation to the lips and tongue as well. I even start to feel a warming sensation and a bit of spicy rumblings in my stomach after a while. More faded leather on the aftertaste, accompanied by the numbing sensation on the lips. A beer you won't forget any time soon, I have a feeling it's going to follow me around the rest of the evening in one way or another. Only when the bottle is already half emptied do I finally start to pick up on some subtle hop content as well, the unmistakable grapefruit rind of Cascade, but really more of a cheerleader on the sidelines in this beer, rather than in your face. Perhaps that's what is helping to balance out and tone down the chiles in this ale, as I expected them to be rampaging, and not as well-mannered as they actually are.

Great mouthfeel, full and smooth, really carries the flavour well, I can easily see this stuff being a flop if it were weak and watery.

In the end there's definitely chiles, yes, but it's also leathery as well, I haven't come across that sort of flavour since a few Fish Tales beers I had sampled before. A mighty fine ale all things considered, they did an excellent job, the craftsmanship is there, but when all is said and done it's not my cup of tea (or other brewed beverage). A sipping beer, definitely, and would go great paired with red meat off the grill, or really with anything that involves salsa. I'd save this stuff more for autumn and winter days as well, NOT something I'd grab to quench on a hot day.

3.95/5  rDev +11%

The Rogue Chipolte Ale is a very interesting brew, containing smoke and fire. This pours an amber color with a nice, though short lasting, head. The smell is smokey, with malts and hops barely poking through. The taste is smokey and then there is a nice follow up of spice. This is a fun brew. I can foresee enjoying this with just about any spicey tex-mex dish: It would fit in nicely. Drinkability is isa bit limited, at least for me, to a bomber per sitting (plus I would only enjoy this on occassion). Don't be afraid, it is different but good!

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from a 650mL bomber. So I have to admit, I've been a little scared of trying this beer. It sounded a little too extreme for me. I actually didnt end up working up the courage to try it, my roomate bough it and we decided to pair it with some chicken and andouille Jumbalaya to bring up the overall spice level of the evening. So here it goes:

This beer pours a rusty amber color with a nice sized white head that holds and laces nicely. It smells malty with a strong smoky and spicy aroma. Overall it has a strong smoked chili flavor balanced nicely with malts and hops. It also has a good mouthfeel, nicely thick with a good amount of carbonation. Overall it is drinkable, but all night, its a pretty intense flavor

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

22oz bottle served in the typical "default other beer glass" at the House of Brews in NYC. Split with Flannery.

We sampled this with an order of poppers, as it seemed to make sense.

Beer poured a slightly cloudy dark/deep amber with ruby highlights and aroma was a spicy/smokey kick.

Taste - big sips had big kicks, really interesting beer to drink. Not a big-hop beer, but there were hops that added to some of the lasting heat.

Definitely a must try with food, I don't know when else I would drink this beer. I wouldn't drink more than a bomber of this, but I love spicy food - so this is a great beer and brings interesting stories.

I will have this again, Cheers!

3.15/5  rDev -11.5%

I bought one of these in anticipation of cinco de mayo. The style and holiday were too much to pass up! I don't often buy fruit beers and I like spicy food so I was open to the experience.

A- golden brown color, medium carbonation and a nice white head.

S - Smokey and spicy, with a hint of malt in the background.

T - Starts off light on the chipolte at first. More of a medium ale than anything else. By mid glass the smoked peppers take over in full. Primarily smoke with a spicy tinge. I didn't find it to be spicy hot, rather smokey / spicy dominating.

M / D - This is a medium bodied beer that looks great. I found that although I like spicy foods and chipolte in food and sauces, this one was a bit too far down the smoked pepper trail for me. I didn't quite make it through half the bottle. I think it's worth an experience just to taste the blend of smoke and pepper but for me a 12oz bottle would be plenty at a sitting.

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

650 ml bottle, and my first try of this "Chile" beer. I have to admit upfront the idea does not really pique my tastebuds, as I'm not overly fond of peppers or strong spices, but hey let's try this and see. Sometimes going in with little expectation heightens the appreciation...

Like the other Rogue beers I have sampled, this looks very good in the glass, with a rich amber/maple syrup colour and a cream-coloured head that is tight and left good lacing. Really lovely colour, straddling that wonderful hue between ruby red and rosewood brown. The chipotle peppers are definitely there as I first smell above the glass, which almost seem to emulate hops in their aroma. This smells almost tequila-like at times. Definitely spicy, with good full authentic chipotle notes, along with nice caramel malt and fairly assertive hopping. Actually very balanced with just enough of the Chipotle. Even without the peppers, this would be a fine pale ale. It really does remind me of some Chipotle dishes I have had, dry and a little astringent. Malting adds some caramel and light raisins and cream and bread. Taste showcases the peppers very expertly, with a very good balance here: it starts with dark malts and then in the middle really lets the pepper shine through, and by the finish you get that spicy tang that burns the lips and tongue a bit, as if you have just eaten a Chipotle pepper. Everything just...works somehow. The taste on the middle of the tongue is fantastic, and the aftertaste leaves a dry peppery feeling. I have to rate it high, not so much because I find it overly tasty, but because of the way they mixed the peppers with the beer. Fantastic execution. It seems to warm the throat and belly in a that way only peppers do. The taste is not extremely complex beyond the light roasty malting and the peppers, but the finish does leave some nice hoppy bitterness as well. Wow, this was pulled off very well. Good moderaly carbonated mouthfeel, and full bodied. A piquant beer, but also relatively drinkable. The pepper is never over-the-top, but neither is this a case of searching for some hidden flavour that leaves you wondering if this was just a misnamed pale ale. An admirable beer, and I was rather impressed. Would be fun to pair with Mexican or Indian dishes. This could stand up to repeated drinking too--not just a novelty one-time "glad I tried it" beer.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales