1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chipotle AleChipotle Ale

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
3.38/5  rDev -5.1%

This was a pretty good-looking beer, cloudy amber with a medium- sized head. Aroma was Ale-like, with some pepper spiciness. I honestly cannot tell whether it was chipotle or some other pepper. Taste was hoppy with some warming spiciness. Fairly thin mouthfeel. I think this is a beer one would try as a curiosity.

3.1/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours a cloudy brown with a distinctly orange hue and a thick light tan head that lasts reasonably well and leaves a little lacing. Aroma is smoky, with a dark fruitiness and just a hint of hot peppers. Taste is once again dominated by a smoky note, which I've never been fond of. It's probably because, being from an Atlantic province, it's a smell and taste indelibly associated with fish for me. At any rate, other flavours include breads and plum, and the finish is dominated by the heat of the peppers, which try valiantly to save this beer for me, but ultimately come up short. Not bad in it's way, but not up my alley at all.

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from a bottle with no freshness date. The color is a reddish brown with orange high lights. There is a thin off-white head that dissipates quickly, leaving no lacing.

The aroma smells a bit spicyand somewhat smoky, a little like a taco salsa. It also smells like a typical ale until you get further down the glass. The taste is pretty hoppy and blended well with some malts. It is followed by a definite hot spiciness along with more hop bitterness. It leaves a spicy taste on the back of the tongue, just like a mild salsa. The spiciness is actually warming. This is definitely different, but, not one I could drink more than one of.

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

This is a lovely cloudy amber in color with a short head that reduces to a quarter-inch in my glass. It's quite nice.

It smells faintly of smoke. I'd say it smells of smoked malts but Rogue notes that just the chipotle peppers are smoked, go figure!

The flavor is nicely malty with a smoky and slightly spicy aftertaste, thanks to the peppers.

I'm also impressed with this beer's body. It's substantial and chewy, something I always like in a beer.

I remember having this beer several years ago at Rogue's brewery, before I'd ever had smoked beers. I thought it was awful. Having expanded my palate, I'd say this is a fine beer. It's not as smoky as Rogue's Smoke ale and far less smoky than rauchbiers, but if you like a tiny bit of chile spice, you should give this beer a try.

3.38/5  rDev -5.1%

22 oz bomber.

Hazy rust color, with a small tan head covering the top. Aroma is very smoky up-front, with some light citrus also..interesting.
Rich taste is surprisingly smoky with the addition of the peppery spiciness of the chipotle...with some of their signature Pacman yeast tagged on. The maltiness ties this all together pretty well. I'd have to say it's the best "chile beer" i've tried to date by default...all of the others were pretty much crap.

Quite different, I must say...but I don't try a lot of "hot pepper" beers, so that's probably to be expected. An interesting brew that would be a great, unique one to pair with Mexican food.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

A- So this is one of those beers that you always see, but are kinda afraid of...I took my chances today....The beer poured a clear dark amber color with some orangish tints. The head was a 1/6 of an inch and left a white lace around the glass.
S- Smokey, spicy. The chili pepper is definitely predominant. There is also a very mild sweetness....it really reminds me of some kind of hot sauce, but not quite as spicy.
T- the pepper hits at the tip of the tongue, and in the finish. The body is rounded out with some sweet malts(which at first appear to balance the flavor), but then the chili kicks back in. There is a long lingering after taste of chili pepper....and some times even salsa.
M/D- The ale is medium bodied, medium to low carbonation...It is an interesting beer, and as I sit here with it I can really appreciate it, but it is definitely not something that I would drink very often. I has taken me a really long time to finish this bomber....its a slow drinker.

2.9/5  rDev -18.5%

Nice head that didn't hang around leaving ok lacing. A smokey nose. A HUGE smokey flavor with the slight bite coming through at the end. I expected a heavier mouthfeel and I thought it was a little on the thin side. Overall a really interesting beer and I recommend that you try it. I couldn't finish what I had been given - I found the taste too overwhelming to drink a pint of it but i liked it. I am thinking of using it in recipes, maybe in my Beer Cheese soup, or maybe in place of a stout in gravy.

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

$5.99 for a bomber at Jack's. Silkscreened red and cream colored bottle. Brewed with Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich malts and Chipotle peppers. Hopped with Cascade & Willamette Hops. "Dedicated to Spanish Author Juan de la Cueva, who, in 1575, wrote of a Mexican dish that combined seedless chipotles with ale." Silver medal in the World Beer Championships.

OG=12 plato, 35 IBU, 82 AA, 23 Lovibond.

Pours out to a very clear deep red, as though it was colored with food coloring. Forms a nice whipped off-khaki head with very good retention and chunky lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma is exciting...I smell smoke like a Schenkerla Marzen to a mild degree, mixed with the subtle spiciness of fresh chipotle peppers. Clean ferment. The mouthfeel is crisp at first, yet very smooth in it's finish with a medium body. Taste begins with a fresh blast of smoke, followed by some spicy pine and grapefruit hops. The hops are moderate in bitterness which mix perfectly with a piquant heat from the peppers. The peppers linger on the tongue in the aftertaste, balanced by toasted malts and prickly hops. The finish is dry with a nice warmth on the lips. Alcohol is imperceptable. A very rich, flavorful brew.

Overall, this is wonderfully balanced...a wonderful brewing feat when it would be oh so easy to screw a beer like this up. This is one of those beers that sounds like a bad idea but turns out wonderfully, which is true to Rogue brewing history. Actually very easy to drink, but a bomber is going to be enough for me. I would get this again for sure, and would recommend you try it if you're looking for something different.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

Have never really heard much of this chipotle ale until now, and even though Rogue has a good track record with their line, I still get a small shudder when I think of chile pepper beers, thanks to Crazy Ed's. But one must move on from such traumas...

Came in a 22 oz. brown bomber, predominantly red and white colour motif on the label. It pours out red as well, only turning to a dark amber/deep copper hue with a bit of a haze when held to the light. Tall spongy off-white head on the pour, but it settles fairly quickly.

A smoky quality on the nose, that of tanned hide and of what can only be the smoked jalapenos mentioned on the side of the bottle's label. Can't really pick out anything beyond that.

There's a rich caramel malt buried under it all there, but it is easily overwhelmed by a weathered and worn leather flavour at the start, a bit peaty even, moving to a smoked and a bit charred sensation, and finishing with a spicy zing of jalepeno which adds sensation to the lips and tongue as well. I even start to feel a warming sensation and a bit of spicy rumblings in my stomach after a while. More faded leather on the aftertaste, accompanied by the numbing sensation on the lips. A beer you won't forget any time soon, I have a feeling it's going to follow me around the rest of the evening in one way or another. Only when the bottle is already half emptied do I finally start to pick up on some subtle hop content as well, the unmistakable grapefruit rind of Cascade, but really more of a cheerleader on the sidelines in this beer, rather than in your face. Perhaps that's what is helping to balance out and tone down the chiles in this ale, as I expected them to be rampaging, and not as well-mannered as they actually are.

Great mouthfeel, full and smooth, really carries the flavour well, I can easily see this stuff being a flop if it were weak and watery.

In the end there's definitely chiles, yes, but it's also leathery as well, I haven't come across that sort of flavour since a few Fish Tales beers I had sampled before. A mighty fine ale all things considered, they did an excellent job, the craftsmanship is there, but when all is said and done it's not my cup of tea (or other brewed beverage). A sipping beer, definitely, and would go great paired with red meat off the grill, or really with anything that involves salsa. I'd save this stuff more for autumn and winter days as well, NOT something I'd grab to quench on a hot day.

3.95/5  rDev +11%

The Rogue Chipolte Ale is a very interesting brew, containing smoke and fire. This pours an amber color with a nice, though short lasting, head. The smell is smokey, with malts and hops barely poking through. The taste is smokey and then there is a nice follow up of spice. This is a fun brew. I can foresee enjoying this with just about any spicey tex-mex dish: It would fit in nicely. Drinkability is isa bit limited, at least for me, to a bomber per sitting (plus I would only enjoy this on occassion). Don't be afraid, it is different but good!

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from a 650mL bomber. So I have to admit, I've been a little scared of trying this beer. It sounded a little too extreme for me. I actually didnt end up working up the courage to try it, my roomate bough it and we decided to pair it with some chicken and andouille Jumbalaya to bring up the overall spice level of the evening. So here it goes:

This beer pours a rusty amber color with a nice sized white head that holds and laces nicely. It smells malty with a strong smoky and spicy aroma. Overall it has a strong smoked chili flavor balanced nicely with malts and hops. It also has a good mouthfeel, nicely thick with a good amount of carbonation. Overall it is drinkable, but all night, its a pretty intense flavor

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

22oz bottle served in the typical "default other beer glass" at the House of Brews in NYC. Split with Flannery.

We sampled this with an order of poppers, as it seemed to make sense.

Beer poured a slightly cloudy dark/deep amber with ruby highlights and aroma was a spicy/smokey kick.

Taste - big sips had big kicks, really interesting beer to drink. Not a big-hop beer, but there were hops that added to some of the lasting heat.

Definitely a must try with food, I don't know when else I would drink this beer. I wouldn't drink more than a bomber of this, but I love spicy food - so this is a great beer and brings interesting stories.

I will have this again, Cheers!

3.13/5  rDev -12.1%

I bought one of these in anticipation of cinco de mayo. The style and holiday were too much to pass up! I don't often buy fruit beers and I like spicy food so I was open to the experience.

A- golden brown color, medium carbonation and a nice white head.

S - Smokey and spicy, with a hint of malt in the background.

T - Starts off light on the chipolte at first. More of a medium ale than anything else. By mid glass the smoked peppers take over in full. Primarily smoke with a spicy tinge. I didn't find it to be spicy hot, rather smokey / spicy dominating.

M / D - This is a medium bodied beer that looks great. I found that although I like spicy foods and chipolte in food and sauces, this one was a bit too far down the smoked pepper trail for me. I didn't quite make it through half the bottle. I think it's worth an experience just to taste the blend of smoke and pepper but for me a 12oz bottle would be plenty at a sitting.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

650 ml bottle, and my first try of this "Chile" beer. I have to admit upfront the idea does not really pique my tastebuds, as I'm not overly fond of peppers or strong spices, but hey let's try this and see. Sometimes going in with little expectation heightens the appreciation...

Like the other Rogue beers I have sampled, this looks very good in the glass, with a rich amber/maple syrup colour and a cream-coloured head that is tight and left good lacing. Really lovely colour, straddling that wonderful hue between ruby red and rosewood brown. The chipotle peppers are definitely there as I first smell above the glass, which almost seem to emulate hops in their aroma. This smells almost tequila-like at times. Definitely spicy, with good full authentic chipotle notes, along with nice caramel malt and fairly assertive hopping. Actually very balanced with just enough of the Chipotle. Even without the peppers, this would be a fine pale ale. It really does remind me of some Chipotle dishes I have had, dry and a little astringent. Malting adds some caramel and light raisins and cream and bread. Taste showcases the peppers very expertly, with a very good balance here: it starts with dark malts and then in the middle really lets the pepper shine through, and by the finish you get that spicy tang that burns the lips and tongue a bit, as if you have just eaten a Chipotle pepper. Everything just...works somehow. The taste on the middle of the tongue is fantastic, and the aftertaste leaves a dry peppery feeling. I have to rate it high, not so much because I find it overly tasty, but because of the way they mixed the peppers with the beer. Fantastic execution. It seems to warm the throat and belly in a that way only peppers do. The taste is not extremely complex beyond the light roasty malting and the peppers, but the finish does leave some nice hoppy bitterness as well. Wow, this was pulled off very well. Good moderaly carbonated mouthfeel, and full bodied. A piquant beer, but also relatively drinkable. The pepper is never over-the-top, but neither is this a case of searching for some hidden flavour that leaves you wondering if this was just a misnamed pale ale. An admirable beer, and I was rather impressed. Would be fun to pair with Mexican or Indian dishes. This could stand up to repeated drinking too--not just a novelty one-time "glad I tried it" beer.

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I may have chilled it a bit too much since as usual, I procrastinated on it's purchase and quickly tossed it in the freezer. But I'm hungry as hell and I told myself I'd taste the first glass or so before actually pairing the food to get both impressions.

A not so gentle pour lends to a rich brown ale with a nice but quickly dissapating off white head, laces nicely. Smells of lightly toasted malts. Chocolate and coffee undertones with a slight possibly citrus hop.

A mouthful of medium bodied brew delights the tongue with roasted malts. Definite Chocolate, maybe carameled coffee. I'd say I can't really pick up any spice in it, perhaps it's too cold. I'm really trying to taste something else in there, I suppose it might be the smoked jalepenos it specifies, very coyly. It has a familiar Rogue slightly bitter hop to it, but they are not overpowering and quite subtle. This is quite well balanced, only the smoked flavor dominates, a bit of alcohol warming, but that could just be my extremely empty stomach. Ahh! The spice is starting to cut through, definitely biting on the tongue after a few minutes now, excellent.

This didn't pair very well with the Chile Con Queso I had, except the spices. It kept my mouth ablaze which I love, but the smoked flavor was dominating too much. might go better with a meat dish of some sort, but I would never know... Alone, it's a very interesting and tasty offering, unique and worth a try once in awhile, just not very drinkable in quantities.

2.68/5  rDev -24.7%

This is a wierd brew. The beer poured with little head and it is the color of sweet tea. The smell is not too bad, similar to a light beer with some spices. The taste is hard to describe. It starts out as a dull spiced taste. Then it turns into a lasting bittersweetness with small hints of peppers. The mouthfeel is not too bad. There is no harshness, just the weird lingering aftertaste. This is not a beer I would try again. Probably not too bad when reveiwed within the style but I don't think I will try this style again either.

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured into a tumbler as recommended, this beer looked to be somewhere between light brown and orange in color, and had a smallish foamy head. While it looked pretty good, it did not exude much smell at all. I could detect a faint smokiness but nothing else. When consumed, the beer clearly oozed the mild smoky taste of Chipotle peppers. This was balanced well by the sweet fruitiness of the caramel malt and some well chosen citric hops from the Pacific Northwest. Pretty similar in flavor to chasing Mexican food down with an American Pale Ale which happens to be a pretty good beer and food pairing combination in my opinion. The flavors worked well together and the aftertaste was densely smoky. Quite juicy and medium thick on the palette, this would work splendidly well as an aperitif. Overall, a much better beer than I was thinking it was going to be.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

poured into pint glass from 22 oz bottle, shared with buddy.
bright red with brown tinge; small head quickly subsided and no real lacing. sweet spicy and almost clove quality to the smell - chipotle's def noticable. sweet and 'warm' taste, spicy peppers with a long, dry finish which allows the hops to emerge slowly. light-bodied with a flash of spice and a subsequent nice raw dryness on the palate.
frankly, i didn't expect a chili beer to be so balanced.

2.35/5  rDev -34%

This offering poured into a chalice, formed a marginal head, loose carbonation, chilli smell is generic and something you'd find at chilli's. tobasco type smell.

Of course there is a spicy center to this brew and to be perfectly honest it has a nice sting. Needed. There is a vinegarish middle, sharp carbonation. Taco seasoning packages. Light watery mouthfeel. I've got to say this is the the offering from rogue where I go ....HUH?

I would never drink this as a daily. Weekly is out of the question, and yearly?....yeah maybe. Not for me fellas....I'm convinced this will sell well with certain demo's but it misses me alltogether.

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Pours an amber color with plumes of frothy, bubbly head, gorgeous. Very earthy smelling, not so much smokey, but the chilies are present. C hops and malt provide a nice backbone, this is some interesting stuff. Flavors are, at first very typical amber ale like, then the smokey chili flavors dominate. This is close to a smoked beer, but it has more of the chipotle flavor to it, not a smoked malt flavor. A little spiciness lingers in the mouth, this would be perfect with chocolate. Overall, I have to say this beer met my expectation of both weird and delicious. The bomber is certainly drinkable, but beyond that forget it, I'll grab an IPA fast over this. Well done.

4.13/5  rDev +16%

Pours a light amber colour, with nice lacing that dissapates to the side of the glass.

Smells of malt, light hop, then tingly pepper aroma.

The taste is malty smooth, with gradual build of smoked and pepper flavour clinging to the cascade hops. The pepper taste is in no way overpowering. It clings to the back of your throat very lightly, just enough to let you know it's there.

The smokey nature of this brew stays with you as you drink it. Very well put together. All the ingrediants seem to be in good balance.

Cheers!

Pours an intense crimson-amber with a nice beige head. The aroma is mostly malty with toasted bread and caramel, some spicy and floral hops and a mild, smokey pepper scent. The flavor is subtle but complex, with some toasted bread and biscuit, spicy and floral hops, and complex smokeiness, as well as roasted chipotle pepper...very nice. The mouthfeel is medium and drinkability is good. A very nice chile beer, complex and tasty.

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

It poured out a nice red-tinted, hazy oak, with a thick reddish head. It smelled like roasted peppers, caramel, and (bready) yeast. While I could taste hops, they were just a foundation for the roasted chipotles and malt. And this is a malty beer, not sweet, but a little thicker than I had expected. More importantly: it has a heavy roasted chipotle flavor, though very little heat. Instead, the peppers give a great roasted / smoky flavor. This beer would be wonderful with a big Southwestern meal.

I'm not sure how typical this beer is for the style. While I was expecting a crisp, spicy pale ale, I was pleasantly surprised by the smoky, roasted taste.

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%

I picked up a bottle of Rogue Chipotle Ale at Downtown Wine & Spirits a month or so ago. I let this warm slightly and served it in my San Francisco Brewing Company pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazy red-orange with a beige head that dissipates to a persistent ring. Fizzy carbonation sounds almost soda-like.

Smell: Some very light sweet malts, maybe caramel or toffee. I'm not really sure because the light smokiness masks them. Overall the aromas were fairly subtle. I was expecting more spiciness or smokiness.

Taste: There's a nice underlying beer here. A solid sweet and bready malt backbone runs throughout, with bitter hops that provide a nice balance. The smokiness comes through in the center and lingers into the finish. The smokiness becomes more evident as the beer warms. The spiciness isn't really something you taste; rather it builds and becomes more evident as you drink.

Mouthfeel: Light to moderate carbonation. Light-bodied and a bit thin. Spicy heat warms the throat.

Drinkability: The smokiness of this beer is too much.

Overall: I liked this beer better than the Jalapeño Sunsplash that I had at the Extreme Beer Fest. The base beer was nicer, though in the end the smokiness was too much, and the spiciness could have been raised.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a brilliantly clear, reddish amber color and is topped by a frothy, three-finger thick, light tan colored head. The aroma has a slight, yet almost caramelized fruity, smokey note to it that just seems characteristically like a chipotle to me. There is a bit of chile-like vegetal notes, but this is fairly mellow and there only if you really look for it. The smoke though, is the dominant note in the aroma.

The taste is lightly sweet up front, with a solid caramel/ crystal malt contribution. The finish is all smokey chipotle though. This is not to say that the chipotle notes are domineering, they are quite evident though, but in a almost subtle, sort of integrated manner. This is a nice quaffable beer as well, and I could see this pairing pretty well with some Mexican food. It is not spicy at all, which makes me wonder what kind of impotent chipotles were used in the making of this beer, but this makes for a much more universally drinkable beer (though why would you do this for such a niche beer). Regardless this is pretty tasty, and I am going to see how this beer pairs with a red-chile pazole.

It actually pairs quite well, the smokiness is subdued by the red chile broth, but still retains its complexity, and it remains an almost quenching retreat from the heat of the dish. In fact I would say that where this beer really excels is in its pairing with spicy Mexican food. I'll certainly try it with all sorts of dishes.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales