Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a nice amber color with a one finger off white head. Smells of sweet malt, I can't pick up any spices, but nonetheless a pleasant smell. It has a very subtle spice with a malty sweetness, leaves a spicy warmness. The mouthfeel is smooth, almost no carbonation. It is a pretty drinkable beer, after my first glass I started to feel the spice. I probably wouldn't drink more than one, but I had a 25oz bottle so I didn't have much choice. I will say that I was hoping for something with a little more spice, this is a very subtle.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

This beer is all about subtlety. There is no chili pepper floating inside the bottle but the chipotle presence is there nonetheless, lurking around under the surface. Peppery and smoky but not overwhelmingly so with a malt sweetness beneath. Pours a clear amber and carries a unique, not unpleasant aroma.

The first thing my wife and I both thought was how to pair this with food as this seems a good choice for a broad range of meals. It's not an everyday beer nor is this a big beer (especially served as we did it right after the Imperial IPA. What were we thinking?) but a solid experience and one I wouldn't mind to repeat. Try it if you're curious. It's not THAT out there.

4.33/5  rDev +21.6%

I happen to love this beer. I had it about 6 year ago in LA but now that it is on the East Coast, I had to revisit it.

Looks great. A nice amber color with ample, slightly off-white head. Good lacing.

Smell is hoppy, spicy and grassy. There is a nice bit of smokiness as well. Not as much peppery aroma as I expected but very pleasing.

Taste is great. Malty smokiness up front with a nice hop balance. Finishes nicely with a peppery bite. Very satisfying. This would go particulary well with spicy food or a hot summer day.

Mouthfeel is also very nice. It is well balanced. A good bit of syrupy sweetness balanced with a prickly hop/pepper bit on the tongue.

Very drinkable. I liken it to a rauchbier as well. Very similar in taste, aroma and mouthfeel. It's easier to drink too. I will go back for more.

4.2/5  rDev +18%

This has a nice dark copper color with an off-white head. The smell is very nice, sweet with a bit of chocolate. The taste is very good. It is sweet, spicy and smokey. Almost like a Scottish Ale. The finish is dry and bitter, but not a typical hop bitterness. The smoke flavor is noticeable but not overbearing. My mouth kind of feels like I was drinking a good beer and smoking a good cigar. Mouthfeel is nice and full, very smooth. And the drinkability is good.

4.43/5  rDev +24.4%

A mold of clouded copper. Small, unlasting cap of big bubbly froth. Light lacing with some strings and tiny spots.

Aroma is lovely with a huge smokey malt and roasted pepper waft.
Round and spicy, smokey and resonating. Nice!

Taste is just as nice with moderate malts giving weight to the smokey ridge in which it rides. Fun lingering finish with the smokey leftovers and grab of roasted pepper spice. It wavers on the palate for good length with smokey pepperness. Quite nice. Never over the top with its spice, but definately present.

Feel is a sturdy medium body with a malty centered middle and one fun finish with the smokey spices and lightly textured dryness.

A drinkable, fun brew to behold if in the mood for something out of the ordinary. Perfectly spiced and smokey for this Northern boys' buds.

Dirty light /red/orange in color. Little head. No lacing.

If I inhale really deep I can smell a hint of pepper. Other than that not much to speak of. Sort of smooth on the mouth. Goes down easy.

A cool concept for beer, but it just didn't really taste much like peppers or have any kick to it at all.

3.15/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Mahogany pour with fast dying tan head – no bottled date on screen label.

Rich, malty aroma, with notes of the ol’ spicy peppers. Rustic tasting woody and smoky chili peppers stand out in this one – but they are not overpowering, fortunately

A very thin and quiet brew, the peppers are the whole story here. It’s just not a brew to savor, it’s more of a hurry up and finish it frosty. I think you really need to be working on some BBQ to fully enjoy it.

4.18/5  rDev +17.4%

Until this point, the only chile beer I've tried was the notorious Cave Creek Chili Beer. After that, I never really had the burning desire to try another chile beer. I finally picked up a bottle of Rogue Chipolte Ale today and to my suprise, I'm really enjoying it. It has a nice sweet peppery malt scent and it tastes great. You can certianly pick up the pepper flavors but they are not at all overwhelming as they are in Cave Creek. I cannot detect much for hops but there might be an ever so slight cascade taste if any. This is also a highly drinkable beer and well balanced considering it's made with chipolte peppers... I will have no problem finishing this bottle, and actually would like to pick up another. Going down well with my RB sandwich...

There are probably others like me who fear spending the 4.50 on a bottle of chipolte ale after trying something like cave creek, but I highly recommend this beer. Rogue is a great brewer and they have made a winner with this beer. The peppers compliment the rest of the beer well and it's a nice change from your average beer. I recommend it and will certianly be picking this up again. Maybe in just a few minutes...

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Lacing remains about the glass after two finger head has faded. Caramel brown in color with reddish tints. Visibly active carbonation, but the body is murky.
S: Smells medicinal with a bit of smoked pepper aroma. Some malt sweetness is present, but the ale is devoid of hop scent. Somewhat disappointing in this category, not much depth and what is present is not particularly pleasing.
T: Some spiciness in the aftertaste, most likely from the peppers. This increases as the beer warms, providing an interesting effect over the course of the session. The chipotle pepper taste is present in the early stages, later replaced by a general malt sweetness. Perhaps most surprising is the level of balance exhibited here: neither the malt nor the peppers overpowers the other. The variety of flavors and effects one encounters here are quite interesting, contributing to its overall complexity and depth.
M: Medum to light body with active carbonation suitably paired with the spiciness of the chipotle; they completement each other excellently, making the beer quite enjoyable and unique to drink.
D: Good for a reminder of the summer to come or for a summer evening outdoors. Including peppers works well in this case and Rogue deserves credit for trying this out and succeeding with it. The spiciness in beer is interesting and quite enjoyable.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a slightly hazed dark amber / light golden red with a thin tan head - I had to force a bit of carbonation into a lazy covering, but it left behind a nice series of lacing rings that faded slowly away.

Very sweet honeyish malts and a bit of spice that I want to attribute to hops, but should probably give to the peppers - it's got a bit more heat than the usual pine of hops.

Smooth, gentle and pretty unassuming on the malt flavor - a medium, wheat bread kind of taste, followed up with a few swirls of hop oil, followed immediately by a delicious blooming, blossoming, swelling taste of peppers - it's not hot, and it's not overpowering at all, but the taste is rounded and compliments the beer well - it really tastes like I'm washing down a taco with a swig of beer. Don't be afraid - the pepper taste is delicious and doesn't linger at all - it makes its presence known and curteously steps aside.

A proper amount of carbonation distributes what little pepper and alcohol heat there is; It's a light ale, and the finish is extremely clean, which surprised me - I expected pepper taste to hang around in the mouth, but once you swallow, you're left with only a few seconds' revisitation of the malts, then nothing. If anything, I wish this were a bit heartier and more full.

I'm actually really glad I tried this one - I admittedly just wanted it for the bottle. I think Rogue managed to do a pepper beer the right way.

4.47/5  rDev +25.6%

Appearance is a translucent amber-orange with a huge tan head. The individual bubbles on the side of the glass look larger than usual. Gorgeous lacing as I drink it down.

The smell is smoky chipotle. It's overwhelming.

Taste is, you guessed it, smoky chipotle. I've had beer infused with hot peppers before and they were disgusting. This one is great. It's not hot, it just gives you the smoke and the flavor of the chipotle pepper. There's a sweet smooth malt flavor underneath the chipotle. I made some enchiladas the other day with chipotles in them and I can't wait to eat the one I'm warming, accompanied by this beer, as soon as I finish this review. I love chipotle peppers and I can't believe it works this well in a beer.

Nice thick creamy mouthfeel.

This stuff is awesome. I wish I could have one of these every time I have mexican food.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - reddish, coppery pour. Medium-bubbled soda pop head gets thin fast but holds at a thin cap. Not much lace but very active beading looks nice.

Aroma - some vague malty sweetness, mixing at first with some mild hop aroma, then things get interesting as some chipotle pepper comes through. Hmmm...

Taste - smoky and peppery. Not spicy hot, more like a smoked beer. Just enough chipotle flavor to make it distinctive. Some hop presence on the swallow and finish, but the pepper and smoke keep it from developing. Pretty good stuff!

Mouthfeel - zesty carbonation, just about medium body, nicely done to make this a good one with food or without.

Drinkability - there aren't many pepper beers to contend with, but this is my favorite one. Great grill-food beer.

2.68/5  rDev -24.7%

Had this unusual beer at the “Rogue Fest” in December 2005 at Summits Wayside Tavern in Sandy Springs, GA. They somehow have close ties with Rogue Brewery and get unusual kegs. I was skeptical about this one and avoided it on a few trips. I do love chipotle sauce and beer but didn’t know about combining them. Poured like standard ale, a clear golden amber with a little bit of quickly disappearing head. The smell is of beer and yep chipotle sauce! Smells pleasant like a backyard BBQ. The mouthfeel was a little flat. The taste was OK, mildly hoppy ale with a heavy chipotle finish. It grew on me a bit as I drank it but can’t say I would have another. It’s a novelty though. Glad I tried it.

4.2/5  rDev +18%

A clean dark amber beer with orange hightlights. Has a big foamy off white head. Aroma ... OK smoked chille peppers and just a hint of sweet malt in the background, but mostly smoked chille peppers. Taste ... Ok this has got to be on of the best tasteing "chile" beers I hav had yet. A great smooth smoky character at first then a little malty sweetness with a spicey hop finish and then in true Chipolte fashion a slow building pepper burn. YUM

3.05/5  rDev -14.3%

I love beer (duh) & I love spicy things so this seemed a natural choice.

Pours (from the 650 ml bottle) a nice light brown with a red tinge. The light tan head lasts but it left no lace to speak of.
Smell is disappointing. I could feel the chipotle spice (capsaicin) in my nose, tickling and tempting me but could smell nothing except hops & malt.
Taste is a bit better with smoke (chipotles are just smoked jalapenos after all), malt and a slight peppery (chipotle) taste.
A medium body with very light heat from the peppers, barley noticeable to a capsaicin addict like me. Not overly hoppy for a Rogue either. I'd say it's safe for the masses to try, not to spicy, not to hoppy, not too much of anything really. I expected more though.

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%

A - Nice amber-brown body, but tiny malnurished head.
S - Malty nose with a slight rauchbier background
M - Malty with relatively light bitterness, a little too sweet, but with hints of smokyness midpalate and finishing with a slight hot pepperyness.
M - I found this beer to be rather heavy and not as vibrant as I would have hoped.
D - I appreciated the smoke and pepper where nicely integrated with the rest of the beer, unlike so many rauch beers and pepper beers. That being said, it was only an average beer.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

This is one of those beers on the shelf at the distributor that I've been putting away for the right moment, like when I just wanted to try something wacky. I'm a big fan of all things spicy and of course, of beer but I find myself a bit unsure whether this will be a good beer experience or not.
Color is very interesting, reddish and visibly highly carbonated with the tint becoming clearly darker at the top. Head is thin but creamy and lasting. Body is close to opaque. Nose is fairly faint with some muted hops and a backround of something that might be peppers.
Wow, after the mildness of the scent, the blast of smoky flavors in the taste is a surprise. Not really hot, but certainly flavorful. Finish is surprisingly clean and crisp. This is definitely an original ale. The aftertaste is fairly strong as well.
Interesting stuff. Not for everyday drinking but still, a nice solid ale with a touch of hot peppers..ooh, let me go get some pepper jack, sweeeet.. Do you like peppers? If so, you'll probably like this.

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

Quite an interesting ale, Rogue really made this appealing.

Pours a deep amber/chestnut in color with a fizzy white head. Nose is noticably malty with a certain vague smokiness to it. Taste is sort of rudimentary at first, but then the smoke/heat combo make a bit of a bite on the tongue along with a certain sweetness. Mouthfeel is silky and medium bodied, drinkability is quite high. Pairs very well with barbeque.

Slàinte!

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured from bottle(room temp) a nice amber with a huge head that settled down after a while but remained throughout.

The smell was malty..can't say any of the peppers made it to my nose.

The taste was very malty and then notes of "heat" made their presence and lingered right through the aftertaste.

This is a very different kind of beer for me and though I "feel" that this must be one of the better examples of the style, I have to think the style is not for me. Try it and find out for yourself. ;^)

3.95/5  rDev +11%

Undated silkscreened bomber poured into a pint glass.

Loud hiss when the oxygen fixing cap was cracked. Clear copper with a light tan head of two fingers. Decent retention, spotty lace.

The nose is very smokey. The pepper aromas are underneath along with a ghostly malt. As it warms the pepper is more noticable, and mouth watering.

The taste starts out with a little malt then the smoke kicks in followed by the heat of the peppers that pair with some hop bitterness in the finish. The smoked pepper flavor becomes stronger as it warms, but it never goes so far as to overpower the beer flavors.

Moderate mouth that could use a bit more carbonation. My only regret is that I didn't pair this with chicken fajitas or jalepeno jack. Next time.

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

This brew pours a murky amber color. The head is nonexistant, and there is no lacing. The aroma is very sweet with peppers in the background. The taste is mildy sweet with chile peppers mildly coming through in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice carbonation. Overall, this brew is a lot more drinkable than I had thought it would be. I am glad that it is rather mellow, and certainly not in my face.

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%

This poured a light amber color with a quickly fading off white head. It smelled like any other generic ale with just a very light hint of pepper. The taste was a bit of a letdown as there wasn't really a very strong pepper taste. As I went through the glass the chipotle became a little bit more noticeable, but it never really become a huge part of the taste, and never got to burning.

I just noticed that it was a spring seasonal so I'll have to try this again when it is fresh. I bet the chipotle will be much more noticeable. It still holds up as a decent ale with a very subtle pepper flavor.

1.95/5  rDev -45.2%

Apperance: Golden rose, or apricot. The head retention was minimal to moderate.

Nose: Wheat and peppers right away. Some sun dried tomatos, sweet caramel, and vanilla.

Taste: Skins of red pepper stays with you and slides down your throat. It is a bit spicy in the end, as well as a bit of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light body with light texture and carbonation, actually, very little carbonation.

Notes: Interesting and worth a try, but not worth repeating.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

It pours a clear and glinty ruby/amber, fairly carbonated. A finger of whitish head slips quickly to a paisley foam film. Runes of lacing interate on the glass.

The aroma has a slightly malty earthiness which is promptly trumped by the flinty vegetal edge of the chipotle partnered with a mild spiced smoky haze.

A taste brings a flash of toasted malt, rather short-lived but present, that cedes so soon to a mildly smoky presence of chipotle, springing up visions of the pepper's skin and ribs. The spicy bitterness of the pepper comes through toward the end more prominently. The finish carries a snappy bite and gently lingering bitterness. It's maybe not the finest mating or elements, but it is interesting how it makes you imagine a capsaicin glow that's not really there.

Between light and medium bodied, the light smoke and peppery snap make it almost tangible, leaving a mellow glow behind.

I really wasn't sure what to expect from a chile beer after Cave Creek ruined my sense of adventure in that direction for quite some time, but what stands out is how real the pepper becomes as you drink. It's a pretty wild diversion, the way it presents something new and unusual to the palate. It is reasonably drinkable, but that's mitigated by the character that gives it an almost novelty status. It's not destined to become a favorite, but it does go to show that most things in life are worth trying at least one time.

2.2/5  rDev -38.2%

This is my first chile beer. It is probably a good example of the style but I don't care for it much. Amber red color. No head or carbonation. Some mild lacing on the sides of the glass. Up front, it smells and tastes like a nice malty ale but the chile aftertaste and finish is just too overwhelming. Its disappointing because it seems like it would be better if it was a little milder on the chiles. I had to try this novelty beer. I will not buy another one.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales