Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

An offering I thought i wouldnt like to much but came out being really suprised,pours a golden color with a deep orange tint with not much head that seetles pretty quickly.Aroma is of bicuit malt with a touch of briney chilies.Taste is nice and crisp off the bat dry malt is the flavor that dominates with that smokey chili flavor that come mainly in the finish and aftertaste it gets more noticable after a half a glass.My wife picked out the chili taste right away without even knowing it was a chili beer I am proud of her.

oberon, Apr 20, 2004
3.23/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance: Amber golden hue with a cream colored thin head leaves some ringed lacing behind. Aroma: Touch of hops, toasted malts nice profile finishes with a kiss of Chipotle smokiness. Taste: Mild dose of hop bitterness with unique dry flavor of smoked Chipotles going on with the malt profile seeming a bit stale to me. Mouthfeel: A bit thin lighter bodied ale lacks any notable textures. Drinkability: There's not enough cohesion in the flavors here unique but it just doesn't work for me, a bit of a novelty brew in my eyes.

WVbeergeek, Mar 23, 2004
2.75/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

As much as I love Rogue, there was no way I was shelling out $5 for this. I expected Rogue's take on Mexican-style beers ... boy, was I wrong. My friend got one so I had to try it out and review it.

It pours out a lightly gold color that, when examined against the light, almost reveals hints of green. Ugh. The head was average and it left a few rings.

The nose on this one was interesting. There is a mild hoppiness mixed with a slight hint of spiciness. Malt presence isn't at the forefront. I also am presented with something akin to a Mexican restaurant ... hmm ...

Wow. What a strange cacophony of tastes. There is a distinctly dry and bitter hop twang and then a strange sour wave. There is a mild burning sensation on the palate, the first reminder of the chipotle peppers.

Overall I was not too impressed with this beer. It was bought on a whim by a friend and I might have otherwise not tried it. The "best" part of the beer for me was the lingering residual pepper effect. The further and further you got down on the pint you'd notice a slight heat in your stomach rising upwards. Could be dangerous for those with heartburn issues. I would like to try this with some Spanish or Mexican cuisine, however.

GreenWBush, Feb 29, 2004
3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

22oz bottle served chilled. Pours a hazy, burnt orange color, with an offwhite head that fades quickly. Only a few patches of lace were left on the glass. Aroma was very subdued for a Rogue. Sweet caramel dominated the nose, with just a hint of fruitiness and some smoke. Mouthfeel was actively carbonated with some mild hop bite and a slight twang of pepper bite. Taste featured the caramel malt sweetness, with a balance provided by sparing use of the westcoast hops. I could detect a mild, smoky chili flavor of the chipotle peppers, but they're in the background. Very well balanced, overall, and very drinkable. I think this one would be better with a more assertive pepper presence.

merlin48, Feb 18, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

22 oz. bottle. I'm still waiting for these chipotle peppers to make their presence known. I bought this beer a few months ago, and after reading some reviews, I thought it would be a lot different than it actually is. Body has a deep golden color and the head retains well for a short while, then disappears. The peppers are not at all noticeable in the nose. However, the flavor and aroma of this beer are quite well balanced, though I really detect very little pepperage going on here. Nose is sweet and malty; this follows through in the flavor as well. A hint of signature Rogue hoppiness comes through towards the finish. Only a few seconds after I swallow can I feel a bit of spiciness on my tongue. I wouldn't say I can taste the peppers, but I can feel the heat, if only slightly. Oh, and I didn't expect a perfectly smooth, creamy mouthfeel, but that's what I got. I honestly wanted more peppers, smoke, and fire. That may be the only time I ever say such a thing.

IrishRedRock, Feb 04, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

The beer pours crystal clear golden with a slight amber tinge. The head is white, but fleeting. It retreats to the edges of the surface but lingers.

The aroma is sweet caramel malts. Slight fruity aroma.

The flavor is caramel with a slight roastiness in the flavor. The beer is fairly bitter but well done. There is a smokiness in the flavor.

The finish is dry and slightly smoky with a very slight burning sensation in the throat (I assume from the chipotle peppers). The body is medium.

If it did not state the peppers on the bottle, the only hint is the slight heat in the finish. I really enjoy this beer and the heat and bitterness work well together. Kind of a pale ale with a kick.

22 ounce bottle.

GCBrewingCo, Jan 09, 2004
3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

One of my lower scores for a Rogue beer, which is a lineup on which I can usually count. This was not a bad beer, but I was pumped for something special from the addition of the chipotle peppers - not much going on here. Perhaps my bottle was not fresh enough, and the peppers had faded into the background (why does Rogue so steadfastly resist any dating on the bottles?). Overall, this probably fell in the more mellow-end of the pale ale pool. Pretty boring.

Brent, Jan 04, 2004
2.98/5  rDev -16.5%

22 oz bomber. My first "chili" beer. Figured with Rogue you can't go wrong. Pours slightly hazy golden with an orange tinge. The Head looked nice but died in a hurry. Aroma is of nice bready maltiness with some slighty meaty aromas & a good dose of hops. Taste is very clean. There is nothing special here really. Some very slight fig fruitiness at first, which gives way to bitter hops & some spiciness. Nothing really jumps out. Clean mouthfeel & aftertaste, very drinkable but nothing to write home about. Mediocre offering from rogue. Probably better to spend your money on your favorite macro instead of this for the price.

avylover, Oct 14, 2003
3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

650 ml bottle
Marked: 256 A1 0013 (not sure what this was)
Painted bottle

This beer poured a golden/orange/brown color - amber, that had when first poured had a light haze to it. Later to last pour was cloudy. Very well carbonated from first sip to the last. The head produced was an off white/beige color, that when served cold had foam for 2 seconds then fell to nothing, when it warmed the foam produced was same color, but was fluffy, and full then when it finally fell became a small film on top and a ring on the edges. No lace present. The aromas that came from my glass were of fruit, citrus, light smoke, roasted malt, mild chili pepper (more like an ancho then a chipotle), and some pepper spice. The overall aroma, warm and cold, was light and not overpowering. A little more prominent as it warmed, this is where I got most of the smells. The tastes started with a hop bite, then citrus fruit, roasted malt, some smoke, yeast/bread, and a really light chili pepper heat came through it. The chili pepper light bite was in the finish. No lingering aftertaste, but hops came through as it warmed as an aftertaste. I can say if I did not know there were chili peppers in this then I would say a clean and crisp beer with some decent flavors. As a person that knows there was/is peppers in this I would say, they are slightly noticeable but not overpowering in the least. I am a chili-head and was excited for some good beer with the pepper appeal to it, (and I don’t mean Cave Creek type), and I was disappointed. Disappointed that there was not enough chili and smoke, but pleased with the beer with its overall taste. Minus pepper this is a good beer. Again, wished for more pepper and smoke because that is what this type of pepper is known for - smokey heat!
Note: drinkability is only a 3.5 because I was looking for what it was named after, not for it being a regular beer or a different style, even though I would drink again.
Thanks Quaffer for the beers, they will be drank, happily.

Jarod, Sep 26, 2003
3.75/5  rDev +5%

Finally was able to try this offering from Rogue.. I started out a bit trepidacious since it has Chipotle Chile in it.. I love hot and spicy food, but i will always remember that taste of Cave Creek.

Appearance-- A dark amber with off white head that didnt seem to stick around too long.
Smell-- Smell of malt with whisps of smoke and burnt wood.
Taste-- Where the hell is the Chile?? I got no heat at all. I dont know if its cause ive gotten so habeneros arent hot, but this had none of the chile spice at all. It was nice and malty with a bit of smoke and spice on the tongue but no heat.
Mouthfeel- good enough, a little spice (not heat) but other than that nothing to shout about.
Drinkability- well its higher than i thought it would be due to the fact that it was lacking any sort of heat. I wasnt expecting volcano, but a warm glow would have been nice. Not one of my favourites from Rogue, but you cant like everything. Not to say i wouldnt gladly drink if offered, just dont think i would buy it over their other beers.

TinusTime, Sep 08, 2003
4.22/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I wasn't that enthusiastic about the beer going in, so I was pleasently surprised when I got to it. First off, it's a lovely color, a nice transparent reddish hue. The smell is a nice, light sharp scent, not unlike a decent pale ale. The taste starts out not unlike a good pale ale, but with a delightfully complex background. It's nowhere near as hoppy as some of Rogue's other brews, and you don't notice the peppers so much in the flavor.

Where you do notice the peppers is an odd spot in the back of your throat that seems to warm as you drink the beer. It's a curious feeling, and absolutely wonderful. A truly unique brew.

SetarconeX, Aug 25, 2003
3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer pours well with a good head that is nice and light. The color is a good solid copper color that is slightly hazy. The aroma was very poor, it had a stale smell to it which really turned me off. But once I got past the smell it was smooth sailing. It has a nice dry taste that is obviously spicy, along with a slightly sweet aftertaste that lingers for awhile.

Elemental, Aug 02, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Rogue, of course, gives the best example of how to do a chili pepper beer right, if you have the balls to do it at all! First of all, it has to be an ale, something with sufficient flavor in itself to support the extra spicy chili taste, not one of those weak lagers with a pepper in the bottle (Crazy Ed, I'm talking to you!), and they use smoked chipotles, for an extra twist! Gotta love you, Rogue, and I rue the day I don't!
Appearance: a dull orangish color, topped with a huge, frothy white head.
Aroma: clean, but slightly spicy, with tiny hints of fruit, mellow, but still intriquing.
Taste is mellow at first, but before long the flavors unfurl, and then it hits...and kicks...subtly at first, then flowering, and revealing a definite peppery character
that soon dominates the palate with slow-arriving, but quickly conquering heat!
Still tasty and fruity, as any decent ale should be, with that peppery tinge at the back of the palate and lingering in the base of the throat.
Smokey peppery character really adds a unique dimension to this brew, and it deserves extra points for boldness and uniqueness alone!
Yummy, delicious, and Hot, HotHot!!! Now it's taking over my heade and creeping around other parts of the body, and it just gets hotter as we drink along...my damned head is flame, as the 22 0z. bottle is nearly emptied!
Hot, hot, hot and getting hotter, man, it's time to call the Bucket Brigade!
Big old thanks to BierRiese for helping me to reunite this once-tasted ale to my lips once more!

feloniousmonk, Jul 02, 2003
2.08/5  rDev -41.7%

Ugghhh...wretched...first beer from Rogue I don't like.
Looked a nice orange amber...no head what so ever...flat like
Smelled mostly like malt and some smoke...and tequilla
Taste...horrid...like tequilla and beer
mouthfeel...thin
drinkability...I actually poured this down the sink...

stegmakk, Jun 20, 2003
3.78/5  rDev +5.9%

Copper pour with a massive bubbly off-white head that lasts till the last drop leaving lace all over the glass. Interesting aroma with a nice mix of spicy hops as well as peppers. Pretty cool, but a bit scary when I think of what people have said about the cave creek chili beer.

Well, I was scared no more after a few gulps of this brew. The peppers are pretty subtle, and only add to hop spiciness. It has a good pale malt backround, but it is all about the blend of the hops and the peppers. Very interesting, and I would have to say it was done very well. From what I have heard about other pepper beers, the peppers really take over and ruin it, but it is not so here. Yet another interesting brew from Rogue.

ElGuapo, May 06, 2003
3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Kind of a cool orange color with a nice fluffy head. Smells more or less like a pale ale, but after you inhale, there's just the slightest, most minor tingling sensation at the back of your throat. It's not "hot" or overly "spicy." But it's definitely a unique aroma that produces a unique "feel." Starts malty with a dried flower, grassy taste and finishes hoppy. It's really like a nice, standard pale ale (Sierra Nevada-ish) with just a subtle kick of something just a bit more spicy through the middle. Very drinkable. I can see this going well with a variety of Mexican or cheese-related foods like a baked burrito or a pizza (which is what I ate it with tonight).

marburg, Apr 08, 2003
3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

I’m not exactly sure what to think of this beer, I like it…but it’s very unique. Pours a hazy golden/orange color with a fluffy white head the fades down slow, leaving a sticky thin lace. A mild smoky aroma emerges from the glass, intermixed with light citrus hops and a bit of spiciness. Taste was very similar to the smell. Initially the taste was a bit malty, followed by the smokiness of burn wood, finished off with a zing of spicy chipotle peppers. This beer is great matched up with some Mexican food. Another excellent brew from Rogue.

Scooter77, Mar 25, 2003
3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

This cloudy golden brew poured a tight white head that left very little lace. Smokey, floral and sweet plum aromas are slight. The earthy and buttery flavors don't stop the smoked chipotle peppers from asserting themselves. I don't know if the warming feeling is from the peppers or the alcohol, but it's nice. My expectations of Mexicali were low but to my surprise i enjoyed it alot.

paceyourself, Mar 03, 2003
3.38/5  rDev -5.3%

My wife picked this up and made me listen to the Dead. Go figure.

The beer poured a nice color, and look like quite a beer. Oddly enough, There was no detectable smell. The taste was quite muted as well. I wasn't really aware of the taste, but I sensed a smokey aftertaste. It was a decent base ale, but I'll probably not be spending upon it again.

freed, Mar 01, 2003
4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a nice orange. A bit hazy with thousands of little bubbles of carbonation. A thick slightly off white head gave away (slowly) to a thick collar all the way down.

Aroma. Malt, pepper and spice move across the nose. (sniff) malt, hops and maybe a hint of smoke?

Taste: All malt at first then a small hint of hopes and the smoke pepper come in (ever so lightly) a sweet finish at the end. Great mouth feel and very drinkable . Another fine Rogue Beer.

Stubbie1, Feb 28, 2003
3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

22 oz. Bottle
The ingredients list says "smoked chipotle peppers." Isn't that redundant?

Appearance: This was a hazey, amber-orange beer. On my first pour, a coarse white head, only one finger high, rose up and disappeared in a flash. Not even a ring was left by the time that the glass was half empty. I must have had my head up my ass on that first pour, though. The rest of the bottle poured with a huge, dense head that lingered and left a ton of lace.

Smell: From the bottle, this brew smelled very smokey, almost like the Rogue Smoke Ale (Nooooo!!). From the glass it was totally different. There were classic malt and hop aroms combined with a subtle smokiness. When I first smelled this beer, I thought that I caught a whiff of some spice from the peppers. That was the only time that I could detect it, though.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and very smooth.

Taste: The usual malt and hops were present in this beer, and it was all overlayed by the smoke flavor from the peppers. There is also a sour twang on the tongue. Could this be attributed to the peppers? Anyway, the finish is when a very mild spiciness kicks in. After my second pour, some yeast flavors joined the party.

This beer was pretty good. If someone *has* to make a beer with peppers in it, it should taste like this.

Quaffer, Feb 26, 2003
3.78/5  rDev +5.9%

Beer is a hazy golden. Small creamy off-white head sits on top. Pretty light nose for a Rogue beer. A little malt and some citric hop tones. I wasn't expecting to love the taste of this beer (or any pepper beer for that matter), but the pepper notes are ever so subtle. This is actually an enjoyable brew. The pepper tones are kind of appealing. Other than the pepper, there is a nice mix of malt and hops. A little caramely. A little spicy hop bite as well. Overall, this one is pretty good.

Bighuge, Jan 03, 2003
3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Mexicali pours with a modest finely-carbonated white head, over deep golden, slightly hazy liquid. Nose is a bit of lightweight malt with a light note of sulphur. Tastes malty at first, with a very slight smokiness from the Chipotle peppers, then a nice although quite subtle heat is felt in the throat, subsiding quickly. Finishes a bit weaker than I remember (it's been a year or two since I last tasted it) it used to have a bigger flavor to it, but still is a unique departure in the Light Ale catagory.

beerluvr, Oct 06, 2002
3.45/5  rDev -3.4%

very interesting....deep copper color, medium head and some lace. almost a neutral smell with just a hint of smoke and rogue hops. nice full mouthfeel gives way to some malt, a bit of hops and smoke and then a slightly warm chipotle finish. the amount of heat is just right and then leaves a smoked aftertaste. very tasty...would go great with some cheese and crackers and some smoked meat. a slightly lower score for drinkability because this beer will not agree with everyone...but i loved it!

budgood1, Aug 07, 2002
4.13/5  rDev +15.7%

First pour: light golden with lager-like clarity and full head. Second pour: darker orange, hazy and no head at all. Musty odor with traces of smokiness and vague hops. Gentle malts are quite subdued and make room for the bold finish which is actually more smoky than spicy. Still the peppers linger in the finish, long beyond the beer, and build up strength in a way that is completely atypical for any beer I have tried, but right in line with the properties of hot peppers. The beer itself is quite nice and refreshing, smooth, and the smokiness is closer to a Bamberger Rauch. I could go either way with this beer; it woud be equally good - and much less intrusive - without the lingering burn, but it does make the beer interesting, even unique.

Thrasher, Jul 23, 2002