Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

TheRuss9585, Mar 09, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

justinwright, Mar 08, 2012
3.6/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber color with a thin creamy white head. Smokey pepper, malty aroma. Initial taste is very unusual and awkward but becomes very good. Warm, full bodied. Spicy finish. Very intriguing beer if you want to explore, but not something you would drink very often.

Adam5150, Mar 07, 2012

GR3, Mar 03, 2012

jk3, Feb 28, 2012

shelby415, Feb 28, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

BarrelAgedBarry, Feb 27, 2012

Jordanbryan10, Feb 25, 2012
3.38/5  rDev -5.1%

To be honest this is one of the first chile beers I've actually sat down to drink and give a good review to. I understand what makes a chile-styled brew good and what makes one bad, and I have to say I was *decently* impressed by this release but not blown away.

Appearance: The appearance lacks much head but what it does have in head it comes with a good quantity of. Solidly packed white foam packs about a quarter inch above my solid clear mug, while the color itself of the brew is very, *very* standard amber in nature. Not as much carbonation as you'd expect from a chile-styled brew but it's possibly the darker color of the amber that's throwing me off a bit. Decent appearance.

Smell: Least good of this beers aspects. I'm not quite sure why either. It seems like it should have a stronger spice scent to it, or at least something that gives it more presence in the nostrils. Decent 2 and a half.

Taste: Eh, it's pretty good. There is nothing special about it really. It hits you as a chile beer would and immediately enters your flood gates with an intense feeling of herbs and spices. It does taste chipotle - I guess - but I can't say this is the kind of chipotle I'd expect from some other top notch chipotle styled alcohols. Not bad... no copper after-taste to speak of (something I'm very big on if you've seen any other my reviews) but nothing to wow me. A Solid 3 or maybe a bit more.

Mouthfeel: This is where I actually think the beer shines. I have looked at no other reviews before reviewing this so I have no idea if people agree with me. It has a great sense of creaminess to it while throwing the spices into your life instantly. It feels good going down and the drinkability is high. A+ on this one.

Overall: Not my favorite Rogue in any way, but it's alright. I've had better spice-heavy beers and even a couple of other chipotle-themed ones. At the price tag this comes with, I wouldn't recommend it, but I wouldn't call it a bad beer either. I'm sure my review will be lower than the average since there are tons of Rogue fanatics out there, but I just wasn't feeling it too much this time.

Psilo707, Feb 22, 2012

stampfler07, Feb 05, 2012

rsant, Feb 02, 2012

twelveinches, Feb 02, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +14.6%

Didn't really know what to expect from this beer. After trying it, I can say I definitely like the style and find it right up my alley. I do like spicy things overall, and having this makes me realize it can work fairly well in beer when done right. Appearance looks like a normal type of amber ale. Not to much head or lacing, looks nondescript. You can definitely smell some of the pepper, and it gives the beer a slightly smokey scent. The smell is interesting. I can't say it's necessarily appetizing, but definitely interesting. Taste wise is where this beer shines. As it warms, the pepper and spice becomes slightly more pronounced, and gives this beer a bit of a bite that I find to be really satisfying. The more you have of it, the better it is. It takes a little getting used to at first. Mouthfeel is a little on the watery side, but the same time the carbonation goes great with the spice, and the heat of it makes it feel quite full. Any fuller body would probably make this feel too heavy. Overall I quite liked this... not a beer I would drink everyday, but certainly good.

ely2000k, Feb 01, 2012