Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
mangledorf

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

Pouring this from the standard Rogue 650 ml bottle, a clean fluffy head rolled up from its foggy red mass. A beautiful beer...but then I started drinking it.

Right before it touched my lips I smelt the peppers almost like a dry rub. Unfortunately that's also how it felt inside my mouth. The taste was mediocre for Rogue, which is still delightful overall.

There is much left to be desired in this beer. Yet there is still much to enjoy as is.

08-16-2008 03:59:30 | More by mangledorf
Wetpaperbag

Washington

A- Nice hazy red coper colored beer. Finger width of light frothy foam.

S- The smell of the smoked chipotle chiles is very much alive and well. It smells good with the bread smell I'm also getting.

T- Tastes like more like a smoked paprika with a tiny touch of spice added in. This will go well with my hot wings for the night.

M- I was hoping for more spice to kick the tongues ass. I've heard a lot of people say it is too spicy for them to drink. I must have got the wimpafyed version.

D- Easy to drink, the smoked flavor is good and unique compared to other smoked beers.

08-07-2008 04:07:35 | More by Wetpaperbag
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%

22 picked up at the Coop for $5... I am making pulled pork and thought that the brew would be nice base for a BBQ sauce... poured about half the bottle into my shaped Sam Adams glass.

1" head above a clear copper amber brew... no real lacing.

Brew doesn't really smell spicy or smoky... more just like a standard medium American hopped Amber ale.

The chipotles are definitely there in the flavor but more of a background smoky/spicy... more smoky than spicy at first sip.. citrus hops are still there as is the standard Amber ale flavors.. Brenda says it goes great with lime flavored tortilla chips. Body is standard Amber as well... the smoky chipotle flavor is more of a novelty to me... I like to use chipotles in my Chili.. I may have to give a little bit of Rogue love to my next batch... but otherwise I don't see me picking this up again unless I am using it something I am cooking... interesting, but not my cup of tea.

08-03-2008 02:25:37 | More by JohnGalt1
tonistruth

Nevada

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

A- clear amber color, good retention on a off white head, soapy lacing

S- spicy, dry, and peppery

T- spicy, distant citric hop in aftertaste, dry, roasted malts, peppery, toasted malts, spicy and hot aftertaste

M- smooth, medium body that drys and is hot and spicy

D- interesting and worth a try, flavoring is amazing but not enjoyable for me

08-02-2008 04:44:33 | More by tonistruth
TrevorGW

1.3/5  rDev -63.6%

I love chipotle spices and I love ale. But this beer did not hit my tongue in a favorable way and I had to pour most of it out. The smoky spices were overwhelming and no malt or hop flavor or aroma could break through. Very disappointing, since I am a fan of Rogue's other products.

The taste of the beer just didn't do it for me at all. It wasn't too spicy, it just tasted funky. Might have been a bad bottle, but I never want to smell this beer again!

The beer did look nice and red in the glass, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was food coloring.

08-01-2008 17:26:29 | More by TrevorGW
beabear

2.73/5  rDev -23.5%

Appearance: Pours a brownish-orange color with a small cream-colored head. Even just from looking at it, I can tell the carbonation is really vigorous. Not the most attractive color.

Smell: The spiciness isn't as pronounced as you'd think, though it's definitely there. The most prominent smell is clearly smoke. I'm not getting any hops or malt.

Taste: It's like sticking your head in a chimney. So much smokiness and spiciness that it can easily become overwhelming. Personally, while I can appreciate how different this brew is, I'm not sure if I enjoy it.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Ever had a shot of hot sauce? Did you enjoy the lingering taste in your mouth? If not, this might not be the beer for you. In terms of drinkability, I'm not sure if I can even finish one.

I'm confused. I had this beer a year or two ago and I don't remember it being anywhere near this overwhelming. Maybe I got a bad batch? I have no idea.

08-01-2008 03:06:27 | More by beabear
BretSikkink

Mexico

3.48/5  rDev -2.5%

Copper color with a cream head that seems rich and sticky. Somewhat rocky, with good stick.

Rather needy aroma, you have to really put your face in. A tiny amount of Mesquite smoke, some sweetness in the malt, and not much else.

Well, I really don't like it. And I probably should never have another chili beer. If I dislike Rogue's version this much, I doubt I'll like any.

I am having a hard time appreciating any flavors besides the pepper in the flavor, and it only grows more pronounced in the finish. I am a huge wimp with spicy foods and I don't enjoy this at all. I'm not lowering my ratings much based on personal preference: the mouthfeel seems just about right for most beers, but you have to know brewing this beer that drinkability and flavor are going to be even more subjective than "ordinary" flavors.

07-28-2008 01:30:17 | More by BretSikkink
cvstrickland

4.22/5  rDev +18.2%

22-ounce bottle poured into a tulip yields a cherry-amber body capped with a finger of loose, mottled off-white foam that recedes to a ring and leaves swatches of lacing on the glass.

Smell is sweet and toasty-malty with a bit of hot sauce.

Taste is malty and sweetly toasty with a bit of citrus and a nice kick of hot pepper. I bought this beer specifically to drink along with a snack of some rustic multigrain bread, olives, dried Italian salami and a crumbly sheep/goat's milk cheese, and it turned out plenty big to work along with the potent salty/spicy/sour flavors and oily textures in the gnosh. The beer is extremely reminiscent of the Rogue in-your-face pale ale style, which in my mind almost always comprises a consistent malty base with odd experimental flavors defiant of convention that, in reality, seldom overpower the solid base of the drink and fit in just fine. There's a chocolatey bit of caramel in the drink as it warms.

Creamy and soft with great drinkability. Devilishly smooth, warm, and satisfying.

07-28-2008 00:41:54 | More by cvstrickland
Getinthevan

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Had a bomber of this earlier this evening and yeah, this was a pretty spicy brew. This is the first time I had tried anything of its kind and Rogue's always put out good stuff.

Appearance was a nice red/amber ale color with a nice head and excellent lacing. This stuff certainly clung to the sides of the glass and even after the head dissipated, the lacing still kept intact.

Smell was strong with hot peppers (naturally) and hops. For a spicy beer, this stuff certainly was spicy, but was a little overpowering over the smell of the ale.

Taste was really good. As an ale, it was delicious, but the hot peppers thrown into the mixture not only made it spicy and pleasant, it certainly made it much more bitter and pleasing.

Mouthfeel was pretty good, but not too great. While the pepper flavors still tingled, the rest of the stuff faded somewhat quickly.

Drinkability is pretty good however. For an experimental style beer, this is certainly one for the bitter tongues and hot sauce elite. Definitely not a bad Rogue brew at all.

07-27-2008 04:44:21 | More by Getinthevan
cjohnson

South Carolina

3.15/5  rDev -11.8%

I know that this is going to have a low average score, but it's not that I didn't enjoy this beer; it's more that it's a really new experience for me so it just seemed like a very strange beer.

Pours a deep orange-rust color with a two-finger, mostly white, slightly orange, head that doesn't hang around for terribly long, but left a nice, thick lacing.

I didn't get a lot of smell out of this. There's a little bit of faint peppery smell, but that's about it.

So, taste... this is a very strange tasting beer. In my mouth there's not a lot going on; it doesn't taste bad, but there isn't the bold smack-in-the-face of chipotles I was expecting. However, it leaves a very distinct spicy warmness in the back of my throat that reminds me a lot of eating pepperjack cheese.

Mouthfeel is fine; not a lot to comment on.

As far as drinkability goes, this is a brew that I could probably have a couple of glasses of without issue, and might be really nice with pizza, but I imagine I'd get tired of it kind of before too long.

07-19-2008 23:06:59 | More by cjohnson
ectomorph

Tennessee

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

Another Rogue brew.

A - Dark copper in color like an old penny. Off white head hangs around and leaves thick lace.

S - Malty up front but the smoky/spicy smells aren't far behind.

T - Little bit of maltiness initially then BANG Smoke! Really deep smoke flavor and spiciness are new to me in beer. Not sure I'm a fan...

M - Medium bodied and carbonated.

D - Good for a starter, but not one to have a bunch of.

07-15-2008 22:47:28 | More by ectomorph
far333

Connecticut

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%

Clear honey-amber colored with a yellowy beige frothy head that sizzles loudly as it slowly recedes.

Aroma of grainy malt and hints of spicy corn, which I'm assuming would be attributed to the chile pepper infusion, but I wouldn't guess that if I didn't know.

Initial flaovr of doughey malt, followed quickly by a smokey meaty warmth, perhaps a hop tingle but it's hard to tell. Chile flavor is definitely present, but just strong enough to assert itself. Pushes the taste buds right to the edge without throwinig them over the cliff.

Mouthfeel is a bit slick and runny, moderate carbonation. Surprisingly drinkable for what it is. Not just a novelty. Would love a pint of this with some smokey barbecued ribs.

07-06-2008 22:23:12 | More by far333
Reagan1984

4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

Rogue Chipotle Ale

Poured from the bomber and was greeted with a deep amber color beer. There was a thin off white head that sat atop the brew that quickly settled to a scant foamy film across the top. Not much lacing at all. (Is this from the oils that were in the peppers?)

I enjoy cooking and have used canned chipotles on several occasions. There is no secret what the aroma is... Chipotle Peppers all the way mixed with a slight malt aroma. The smoky aroma that comes from the chipotles is quite intriguing.

I have to admit that I'm really enjoying this beer. It almost seems that the malt notes are balanced with the smokiness & spiciness of the chipotles vs. the traditional hops.

I timed this tasting/review to go along with a spicy Buffalo Chicken appetizer that we are having. I tried the beer first and now am enjoying both together. I have to say the pairing is excellent.

Mouth feel is fairly light but seems bigger due to the smoky/spicy nature of the beer.

The finish is more of a lingering spiciness with very subtle hop notes.

I really like this.

I would highly recommend pairing with the proper food. Not sure I'd drink this on its own. But for the specific spicy occasion this is perfect.

Note - I've let three other family members try this with the spicy appetizer and all three really enjoyed it.

Get it the next time you have guests and intend to serve a spicy dish.

07-06-2008 21:44:49 | More by Reagan1984
m1ked

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

picked this up @ Rogue bar in SF. bartender with a beard was awesome.

A- Somewhat hazy coppery orange. No real head to speak of except a halo ring around the edge.

S- Surprisingly sweet malts with smokiness noticeable, but taking a backseat. Finishes with some spiciness but not too powerful like I had anticipated.

T- Starts with a woody smokiness, very distinct and unique for sure. Some sweetness that quickly gives way to the smoky peppery flavor. The spicy chipotle slowly spreads over your toungue and can't be ignored.

M- Smooth body. I think the sharp carbonation is amplified by the spicy mouthfeel. Not you your every day beer.

D- OK for a beer this isn't a session beer. For a chili beer, this kicks ass. I would suggest pairing with food for maximum enjoyment.

My wife added a lime to hers, and it was even better!!

07-03-2008 02:58:35 | More by m1ked
armock

2.3/5  rDev -35.6%

A - Poured a light copper color with an off white head that leaves lacing

S - Isn't too good its of smoke and pepper

T - Things don't really get any better in this department more smokey peppers

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation

D - I don't think I can drink the rest of this pint its just not drinkable to me I'd say avoid this beer

06-27-2008 01:57:39 | More by armock
yourefragile

District of Columbia

3.4/5  rDev -4.8%

22 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Slightly cloudy golden orange color with a frothy, retentive white head with little lacing.
S: Light spicy and smokey aroma, unusual for a beer but what you'd hope for from this beer. Some malt background but no hops.
T: Starts off with a slightly sweet, malty taste with a spiciness of red pepper that slowly creeps and becomes strong in the finish. Also the smoke from the smell is present at the end. Medium, smooth body, with a warm finish but not from alcohol, but the pepper.
D: Not a bad beer, nice complement to a meal but something I would rarely want to drink on its own. Worth a try.

06-24-2008 18:59:37 | More by yourefragile
marcpal

2.75/5  rDev -23%

Pint poured on tap at Publick House into American pint glass. Intrigued by this, thought I would like. Wrong.

A: Another apple juice looking drink. Slight head and too much bubbles.

N: Spice and smoke were there, with some malt background. No bitterness or hops in the aroma.

T: Chipotle definitely present, almost reminded me of a bloody mary sting. Not enjoyable in a beer, not here at least. The taste came off as a bit hokey and not naturally built off the base of the beer.

M: A bit rich, spices dont marry well. Too much carbonation to balance out.

D: I guess if your up for spices or what not, you may like but it doesnt come across well. First beer from Rogue I found undrinkable. Just not my cup o tea.

06-17-2008 12:48:51 | More by marcpal
happygnome

3.38/5  rDev -5.3%

a: pours a deep hazy orange color with about a quarter inch of head that dissapears fast leaving no lacing at all
s: sweet malts chipotle pepper is present
t: chipotle peppers, very peppery flavor sweet malts are in the background
m: medium bodied beer with little carbonation

overall, thisis a decent brew but not a style that i think ill get again

06-04-2008 17:51:59 | More by happygnome
everetends

Alabama

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Bottle was given to me by a Rogue rep. Poured into a pint tumbler.

A: Poured an orange color with a bit of cloud to it. Little head with little retention.

S: Smells mostly sweet with malt in there. Has a smokiness that I can only assume is the chipolte.

T: Actually pretty good. The sweetness of the malt really carries this beer far. On the backend, the chipolte bite tickles the back of your tongue and throat. Nothing too crazy with spice, very subtle.

M: Finishes pretty clean and has some decent carbonation to help this beer along. Aftertaste is a bit of chipolte bite that lingers in your throat.

D: This is definitely a beer to be had with a meal. Would really complement some BBQ or mexican food. I wouldn't drink this as a relaxing beer on a night after work, but given the right circumstances I would drink this again.

06-01-2008 20:55:24 | More by everetends
Slynger

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

Chipotle Ale pours a deep, hazy, orange with a red pepper tinge to it and a fuzzy off-white lid. Lighly sweet caramel and toasted malts with some citrusy fruit and hints of spiciness. The flavor is the same with a better, more distinctive, red peppery spiciness that creeps in from behind. Straight medium body with a pleasantly fuzzy and soft carbonation. Nice, interesting beer that I wouldn't mind having again every once in a while.

05-27-2008 04:33:16 | More by Slynger
Stinkypuss

3.4/5  rDev -4.8%

A. Hazel with little to no head.

S. Spicy pepper nose. The chipolte is evident here.

T. A sweet initial taste with a roasted hot pepper finish, kind of like the bottle says. It gets spicier as you drink more.

M. Tingly on the tongue and arouses the taste buds for sure.

D. Honestly, one of these is enough for me. Good for the style, definately, and Rogue doesn't seem to make bad beer. It just gets to be too spicy after a while.

05-24-2008 14:30:52 | More by Stinkypuss
Padron4KM

Arizona

3.48/5  rDev -2.5%

22 oz bottle.
Light amber with a thick tan head.
Malty aroma, with a light smokiness in the background.

Flavor starts lightly sweet and malty, ends with a long lasting, smokey, spicy kick. Not too spicy, just enough to let you know it's there.

This would pair well w/ some bbq ribs or a some pulled pork.

05-24-2008 10:09:42 | More by Padron4KM
clayrock81

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured the 22 oz. bomber bottle into a mug and received a lightly-tinted brown with a frothy, one-finger head that died at a medium pace. Some earthy hops and a light malt base in the smell, but I really picked up the peppers (reminded me of a pot of baked beans for a second). I wouldn't say dry or crisp for the mouthfeel, but just heat. This was like a good ale with a noticeable hop presence and some malts in there. Then it was like I did a shot of hot sauce. OK, it is a little bit more complicated than that, but I am trying to get a point across. My mouth actually heated up from this beer. I am not a big chili fan, and I thought the chipotle peppers overpowered the ale a tad, but I would recommend this to try once to anyone.

05-22-2008 17:10:21 | More by clayrock81
fitzy84

4.78/5  rDev +33.9%

Oh my god. Had this in the 22 ounce bottle. Murky amber colors with a thin, frosty head was the general appearance. The aromas were fascinating: actual spices like light jalapenos and peppers. Incredible smells! The taste creates a lingering, mild spice that is infectious. Hops mixed with peppers and hot sauce create an eclectic mix that is just great. Good solid body helps the flavors really come out. My first Chile Beer was great; I cannot wait to have more!

05-21-2008 02:02:33 | More by fitzy84
aquaderek

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is brownish orange with not much more than a lacing of head. The nose has nice smokiness and some spicy zip; you can really smell the chipotle. The taste mimics the nose in that smokiness comes in first followed by a nice spicy kick. The mouthfeel is slightly viscous and it has a dry finish. I paired the beer with a steak burrito and it paired nicely, the smokiness of the beer and the slight spice complemented the burrito.

05-16-2008 03:03:57 | More by aquaderek