Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros

4.7/5  rDev +32%

Poured from a bomber with little head to speak of and a deep copper color.

S: Very faint smell at first maybe hops or citrus then the pepper kicks in.

T: Light taste of chipolte pepper with a light oily hop taste to it. After the first sip you can feel the heat from the pepper creep from the throat back into the mouth.

M: Oily and very smooth the heat remains after the first sip, which is nice.

D: I will probably have it next time with some spicy food. Very nice beer if you are in the mood for something a little spicy. Definatly worth a try.

4.68/5  rDev +31.5%

4.63/5  rDev +30.1%

From a 22 Oz Bomber.

Pours little hazy red to red amber colored ale.

Smell is malt and jalapeno tang on the first sniff. More effort reveals some dark roasted malt and a little spicy tickle from the peppers. Smoke comes next as you really concentrate on it and it starts to smell like a barbecue. There is also the scent of jalapenos baked into cornbread here. There is no mistaking the wonderful scent of roasting Chili peppers; I love that smell! This kindles for me memories of Chilie roasting time in Albuquerque New Mexico.

Taste is dry and SMOKEY! Smokey enough to show a lot of other smoked beers how to do it. A very good flavor of Jalapeno here that fruity and tart flavor is unmistakable. This brew accentuates the flavor of dried Chipotles perfectly; the fresh version would have more sweetness from the flesh of the pepper. Nice solid bitterness in the finish that mimics perfectly the slight bitterness you get from a little bit of charred pepper skin in fresh roasted chilies. Only possible improvement would be slightly more sweetness but I suspect those sugar just would never escape getting munched by the yeast. This isn't hot at all to me but I grew up in the Southwest and was eating hot peppers before I became conscious of my own existence.

Mouthfeel is very good.

Drinkable as all hell! To me THIS is the ultimate Barbecue or Tex-Mex beer. Or I would drink it anytime; I am a major Chilie Head.

4.63/5  rDev +30.1%

I've had this beer in the past and enjoyed it, though I never reviewed it.

Pours a reddish/pale color with a thick head that leaves decent lacing. Aroma is strong and malty with the hint of chipotle on the nose. Reminiscent of a scottish ale of sorts. Chipotle itself adds a spiciness to the aroma of this beer.

Taste is strong and malty upfront with a chewiness and burn provided by the chipotle. Leaves a decent spiciness at the back of the tongue that goes down with a mild burn. A second sip confirms the same thing except that the chipotle dominates the palate here and nearly overwhelms the malt.

This is the type of beer that isn't for everyone. I personally enjoy it as I really like spicy foods. This beer would definitely go well with a burger or something more. I feel it's well done for the style as well.

4.55/5  rDev +27.8%

Pours a cloudy orange with amber highlights. Nice orangish fluffy head. Smells mostly malty, but as it warms you ger a nice subtle smokey pepper character. Tastes fantastic! The chipotles really shine through and are beautifully balanced with the malts. Virtually no hop character - I'd imagine they're strictly for bittering purposes at 35 IBUs. Feels medium with very nice balance between malts, hops, & spices. Really well done pepper beer. Something I'd like to brew myself. Pleasantly surprised!

Note: do not drink this beer with anything that is chipotle spiced. I had a chipotle spiced chicken burrito (homemade) and it completely masked this beer. I'd say try it with something neutral to spice up your meal. And don't worry: there's no noticeable heat in this brew - just yummy goodness.

4.55/5  rDev +27.8%

I wasn't sure what to except of this beer since the last chile beer I had was Crazy Ed's and I didn't care for that one bit. Based on the BA rating and knowing that it's a Rogue Ale I knew I wouldn't be let down. It pours a cloudy brown color with little head. For some reason I was excepting a strong chile smell, but it is quite mild as it that of brown ale. With the mouthfeel you have a nice sense of carbonation and is smooth. The taste is similar to a brown ale, but has hint of another flavor I just can't pinpoint. Even for people that don't like the idea of chile in beer should give this at try, I was pleasantly surprised and can easily drink several of these. Two thumbs up on this one.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales