Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 693 | Hads: 1,374
3.02/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours a nice amber colour with a soapy tan head that collars and leaves a small amount of lace at the top of the glass.

Whoa! I don't like this smell. It's like a weird, extremely astringent gasoline or magic marker smell with a chemically smoke overtone. It literally made me gag. I think I expected something softer and more peppery in tone.

The taste is sweet yet smoky after an oddly crisp start. Surprisingly malty and definitely better after it warms.

Mouth is light-medium bodied with a low carbonation. Gets malty and spicy on the back end.

I frankly didn't know that Chille Beer was a style (thought it'd be under herbed/spiced) and have never had one before so I'll give it a pass. But, the smell is just too much for me to consider drinking more than the two I bought already. (791 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Rogue Chipotle Ale
Bomber
Brewed Spring 06, buvar 09/06
Medium pour in a stein.

Poured a hazy reddish brown with a small rocky white fully diminishing head.

Smelt of roasted habaneros and light dark bread.

Taste was upfront light sweet breadiness with the bitter roasted habanero taste kicking in afterwards and a touch of almost lemony acidity for a finish that is hidden by the spicyness. Mouthfeel was light, watery, with soft carbonation and light burning peppers.

Overall, the roasted habanero taste is subdued enough for this ale to be enjoyable, but is otherwise fairly boring tastewise. (609 characters)

A - Amber body, low head.

S - Tabasco sauce, mild malts, no hops to speak of.

T - Tastes like a really neutral Amber with peppers added. I didn't hate it but it was not what I was expecting. Although idk what I was expecting from a beer n the "Chile Beer" category.

M/D - Middle of the road mouthfeel, I was able to finish my half of the bomber no problem but my tasting partner didn't do much damage and I've never seen him not finish a beer before. (453 characters)

Dirty light /red/orange in color. Little head. No lacing.

If I inhale really deep I can smell a hint of pepper. Other than that not much to speak of. Sort of smooth on the mouth. Goes down easy.

A cool concept for beer, but it just didn't really taste much like peppers or have any kick to it at all. (306 characters)

A - Amber color with a crystal clean and nice head, but not much lacing.

S - Smoke dominates the nose for this one. But its not a real strong smoke aroma.

T - There is a certain sweetness to this beer that is over taken by the smokey spice, peppers in here.

M - Light body, sharp carbonation. Actually burns like pepper, and has a dry finish.

D - One a night is about all I can handle. For myself this is not a session beer. Might go nice with mexican food. (472 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -16.9%

A - Hazy copper-amber, 1 and a half finger frothy off white head, good lacing.

S - Slightly pungent, peppers, light hops.

T - Balance of light hops and light malts, pepper kick, vegetable finish, watery.

M - Pretty smooth, moderate carbonation, oily vegetable aftertaste.

O - Not too good. (293 characters)

22 oz bottle - cha cha!

A: Copper body with some dark rustic orange hues. Dismal white head that retains nothing of itself. Kind of boring.

S: Lackluster aromas... Malt bill is the stand out base here. Bready malts try to blend with some very faint piney hops. Some roasted vegetables and black pepper spice come through as the beer warms a bit.

T: Sipped cold, the flavor profile is virtually non-existent. The chipotle spice was completely masked, though as it warmed, the flavors became more evident. Watery grains and corn husk are present in the beginning and middle of the palate. The finish brings the chipotle peppers and leaves a slight warming sensation through your throat and chest -- nothing overbearing, don't worry.

M: Medium-bodied, nice smooth and even carbonation for the style - helps deliver the peppery flavors all over the palate.

In comparison to the only other Chile beer I've had, Theobroma, this misses a lot of points. The peppers are done correctly, not overbearing but present, although other than that, there is nothing else going on with this beer. Will NOT seek out again but worth trying for the curiosity of it. (1,150 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.2%

pours a light red with a thick tan head, and lots of lacing as this one drinks.
initially, I get a whiff of smokiness which reminds me a bit of pipe tobacco and leather. not unpleasant, but not what I was expecting.
the taste that hits you up front is definitely the BBQ-like smokey flavors, but I'm not getting much heat like you would from a hot pepper (which, perhaps, is not really the intention here). malty sweetness starts to come through as this one finishes, very little carbonation and a decent smooth mouthfeel.
I wasn't expecting to make this beer something I'd drink on the regular, but I was hoping for maybe a fun/gimmick type of brew that would be fun to buy every once and awhile to pair with appropriate cuisines. I think the smokey flavors don't really blend well with the malt and hops of an ale, and are better suited for a porter or stout. Definitely not a bad beer, I drank it all and enjoyed it for the most part, but not something I'd go out of my way to drink again. (992 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.2%

Picked this up with an assortment of other Rogue ales locally.

Pours out into an orange-reddish color with moderate head. Smells faintly of smoke and peppers. Taste is of some smoke, with the slow burn of some mild hot peppers that lasts quite a while. Overall, quote light, and not as overwhelming as some chili ales I have sampled, but the burn lasts longer than I would expect. I found myself nursing this over a long period of time, much longer than I would have had something similar without the peppers. (510 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours out a copper color. Head ends up pretty thin. Can definitely pick up the chipotles in the aroma. Taste is quite smokey and peppery. Has some hops but not as much as other Rogues. Maybe that's what is missing, I think this beer would go well with a lot of foods, especially with American summertime cuisine. Right now my tastebuds are looking for something to pair it with...feels a little bit oily in my mouth. Perhaps I may revisit this one when I can eat something with it. (481 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -17.5%

excited to try this beer after reading the brothers review.

straight pour into nonic gets nice cascade with a two finger head. head is offwhite shrinking down quickly.

the aroma wafts up from the pour spicy orange malt, smells interesting enticing and delicious.

delicious upfront bitterness ends with a chipotle pepper kick. i taste both roasted and raw pepper flavors, infused quite well. leaves a bitter peppery aftertaste that lingers on and on.

this beer aint for the weak. it is bold on flavor and will challenge your conceptions of acceptability, bordering on ..not sure the right word,was gonna say cloying but it aint sweet, just chipotle-ish...which is interesting and nice and present but a bit hard to take in.

best appreciated when drinking slowly with food. need time off between sips on this one. but one damn interesting beer. the bitterness is great the chipotle may take some getting used to. (915 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -17.5%

poured a reddish brown to a dogfish head signature glass with a foamy tan head leaving a slight bit of lacing.

smoky nose, not much of a hint of chili.

taste of pepper and smoke up front and slightly bitter after.

not particularly refreshing, maybe best with spicy food (?)

average to below average. (303 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a cloudy brown, with a large light-brown head.

Aroma is surprisingly muted. There is a hint of smoked wood, and my imagination could pick up the smell of the chipotle, but only because I read it on the label. Otherwise it would have been overlooked.

Flavor was much more apparent than the aroma. It has a flat, woody base, followed by the chipotle smoke, with a hint of dark smokiness that reminds me of smoldering leaves. The amount of chipotle flavor is just right. It’s dominant, but not overbearing or hot.

Mouthful was fine, if maybe a bit boring. The chipotle flavor is going to keep you occupied, so this is a case of “if you don’t notice it, you’re doing your job”.

Drinkability is below average for a beer beverage, but above average for a chili beer. The flavor of the chipotle is spot on, it doesn’t taste fake or powdery, so I imagine it’s a real ingredient. However, I doubt there are many people that are hankering for liquid chipotle, and I don’t think there are many repeat customers. They’ll try it once for the experience or a gag gift, or a true gift for a pepper head.

Speaking of pepper heads, I am one. Ironically, chipotles are my least favorite pepper even though they’re all the rage now. I’ve had a couple of extreme pepper beers, and they’re nasty, nasty, nasty. This beer is not one of those. It’s not great, but it is approachable. (1,394 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -17.8%

A- Copper with a finger of off white head

S- Could smell it as soon as I opened it. Smells strong of smocked meats, also getting caramel and roasted malts, some alcohol too.

T- Smokey and buttery; I get meaty and bbq flavors that are followed by some buttery and creamy flavors.

M- Light bodied; Watery and light but not crisp.

O- Not bad but really not that good. Didn't get much heat from the peppers. After drinking half the bottle I was ready to stop drinking it. (471 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -19.2%

Red hued amber in colour. Creamy eggshell coloured foam retains moderately well and leaves a spotty lace. Muted aromas of toast and smoke. Tastes toasty with chipotle smokiness. Slight tang. Mild bitterness. Barely even a tingle of warmth from the peppers. Medium bodied with soft carbonation. Feels smooth. I'm quite disappointed they played it safe with the chipotle, there is only a little smoke and almost no spice to be found in this beer. It doesn't taste bad, but it fails to meet expectations. A beer called Chipotle Ale should taste like chipotles. (557 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -19.2%

The beer pours a nice red color, no real head to speak of. Not bad. The nose is disappointing. Some malt aroma, no hops, no pepper smell. I expected more, from Rogue and from the billing on the bottle.

The taste is SMOKEY. They call it subtle, but it ain't. No spice really, just smoke. Not what I was expecting. I wanted to get some pepper out of it, but it just wasn't really there. Felt good in the mouth, slight burn that was reminicent of pepper.

I dont think I will have another one of these. I admit I am not always a fan of smoke beers, but I love my peppers. I was disappointed. (593 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a clear ruby amber with a medium tan head, well carbonated. Aroma is sweet and malty, not much in the way of herbs or peppers to be found.

Taste is mostly malt, toasted and bready-sweet with a touch of herbal dryness. Nothing immediate in the way of chile flavors, as one would expect, but a subtle, smokey vegetal chile element builds over time. No perceptable heat at all, at least by me. Yawn.

Mouthfeel is medium and clean, easy to drink. The chiles lend a nice earthiness but it would be hard to characterize this alongside other chile beers. A good choice with the chipotles but you could double or triple the amount (chipotles are among the mildest peppers) and get a much better beer. (704 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -19.4%

22 oz. bottle into glass pint.
45°F

$6.99 / ea.

A: Bright copper body topped with a loose tan two finger head of moderate retention that leaves moderate lacing and a thin bubbly cover.

S: Pretty much exactly what I expected, and yet it was still a bit of a shock. A light, but striking hot spice aroma over the slightest sweet bready malt. There is no doubt as to the style. No hop aroma, but it isn't missed.

T: Bready malt backbone with an unmistakable chipotle flare. The heat builds, but plateaus at a tolerable level that doesn't leave you looking for something else to satiate your thirst. No hop flavor or aftertaste, but the light heat remains well after the final sip.

M: Medium body and borderline flat. The body is smooth, but that isn't saying much with the lack of carbonation. Pretty poor.

D: More of a curiosity than a night on the town. This is an interesting beer to experience, but grows tiresome. Just happens to be the exact opposite of refreshing.

O: My first chile beer, and possibly my last. (1,022 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -19.4%

Nice head that didn't hang around leaving ok lacing. A smokey nose. A HUGE smokey flavor with the slight bite coming through at the end. I expected a heavier mouthfeel and I thought it was a little on the thin side. Overall a really interesting beer and I recommend that you try it. I couldn't finish what I had been given - I found the taste too overwhelming to drink a pint of it but i liked it. I am thinking of using it in recipes, maybe in my Beer Cheese soup, or maybe in place of a stout in gravy. (504 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured from a 650 ml bomber into a pint glass.

The beer poured a hazy copper with a 1/2 inch foam off white foam head.

The smell was hoppy with a sweet fruit, citrus scent. No smell of chipotle pepper whatsoever.

The initial sip is spicy but not from the pepper. Its a hoppy oily spice biting at the tip of the tongue. The initial hop bite fades into a citrus sweetness. After the beer is swallowed a slow heat creeps up starting at the back of the tongue and working its way down the throat. Its a mild heat but it is definitely noticeable. I never actually taste the pepper flavor only feeling the heat.

The mouthfeel is oily, allowing the hops to stick to the mouth also allowing the heat to remain. Its an interesting beer and I am glad I tried it but it is clearly not something you would drink more than one of. (822 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -20%

Have to admit that I just don't *get* this one. It's interesting, but there's no way in which I would describe it as "world-class". And my scepticism goes well beyond my distaste for Rogue as a company, and it's not that I don't like spice (I *love* it). It may very well be an acquired taste--I get it, I love heavily peated scotch--but until I've acquired that taste, this just strikes me as gritty, earthy, smoky, and unpleasant. (432 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -20%

Served on tap at the Blue Dog, this arrived in a pint glass with a tiny collar of white foam atop clear amber. Smell was of an american brown ale: nutty, sweet aroma with citrus hop notes (cascades)? Initially the taste was similar with a good mix of caramel sweet maltiness and bitter hops, but the taste changed to that of the chipotle. It was a smoky barbeque type taste, and only minimal heat from capcaesin. Mouthfeel was light-bodied and seemed appropriate for what I'm guessing was a 5% ABV beer, give or take 0.2%. I drank it quickly, but more so to get it over with.

Note: Interesting flavor, but I doubt I'll revisit this style any time soon. I am fond of hot sauce and tobasco has long since replaced ketchup on my scrambled eggs, but it doesn't seem to work well with this beer, and the aftertaste was annoying. (826 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color with a short foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malts, chipotle peppers and some hops.

T: The taste is very malty and a lot sweeter than I expected. The chipotle pepper flavor is merely in the background and doesn't overpower you. The hops presence is decent, but between the hearty malt character and the heat of the chipotles the hops are phased out. The after-taste is slightly smoky.

M: Smooth with a little crispness, medium body, medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish.

D: A little tasty, goes down ok, slightly filling, while this beer is more drinkable than most beers of the style that try to burn your mouth, I believe this might be a much better beer to cook with than to drink. (852 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -20.6%

Bottle purchased from Union Square Trader Joes.

A-Orange brown and cloudy when poured into a tall thin mug. Nice four finger head has some serious staying power.

S-the nose on this is very bready and there is a nice NW hop profile as well. If i did not know the beer had chilis in it I probably would not be able to discern that quality. As is I do detect a faint spice.

T-This tastes more like a brown ale or a light pale ale. I really do not taste the chipotles at all here. Some nice malt up front followed by a lingering bitterness. After going through about half of this there is a mild spice sting in the back of my throat.

M-light body, light carbonation.

D-I was expecting more out of this as I love both Rogue and Chipotle peppers. I was hoping this could be an Ingredient in my chili as the chipotle should have added to the effect. This is basically a dumbed down Rogue offering. (906 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -21.1%

Pours a dark, copper color with a slightly off white head.

Aroma is smoked pepper and a small bit of malt.

Taste is a medium bodied amber ale overwhelmed a bit by the smoke of the pepper.

The mouthfeel is a bit over dry.

Finish has smoke, which seems to pervade the beer from start to finish. Just not my thing. (317 characters)

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales