Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,348 | Reviews: 697
3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

22 oz. bomber, no freshness date

A - Pours cloudy amber with a half-finger of off white head that quickly drops to a thin, but sticky cap with decent lace.

S - A bit of sweet malts, smoky chipotles, black pepper

T - Again, a bit of malt sweetness up front. Swallow reveals a touch of hop bitterness. Finishes with a bit of lingering jalapeno heat, really nothing major for my tongue. It does build a little towards the end of the bottle though.

M - Body on the light side of moderate, with moderate carbonation.

D - A really fun brew to try and worth picking up, even if it's only once. I'd definitely drink it again though, especially with mild-to-moderately spicy food or a steak-y fish (tuna, sword, etc.)

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Shimmering, juicy orange with intimations of copper and edges of gold bullion. If a color can suggest quality, this one does. The cream colored head is as foamtastic as most other Rogue offerings. It's thickly creamy and is semi-rocky as it melts. Even though I'd like more lace, that borders on nitpicking when the color and the head are this good.

I don't know that I'd have been able to identify this as a chile beer by scent alone. Yeah, it's spicy, but chile pepper wouldn't have been high on my list of guesses. There isn't much to go on. I guess that chipotle peppers carry a small stick when it comes to aroma, a big stick when it comes to flavor and an even bigger stick when it comes to heat. Thankfully, with warming, the nose opens up a little.

Chipotle Ale isn't bad, although I'm not blown away by the flavor or the heat. According to the brewery, Rogue Oregon Golden Ale serves as the base beer. That seems like a good, neutral choice that would allow (in theory at least) the flavor of the roasted peppers to shine. The beer is well-malted with a slightly sweet underbelly that goes well with a modest hoppy bitterness and a less than awe inspiring amount of spicy heat.

The hop bill consists of Willamette and Cascade. The bright citrusiness of the latter is another nice counterpoint to the earthy pepper flavor. This beer is all about contrasts. It's just too bad the contrasts aren't more pronounced. The flavor lacks the zestiness that should be a major part of any chile beer. It isn't like these guys to ease off the accelerator.

It must have been difficult to decide how much chile pepper to add. Too little and why bother? Too much and you've recreated the abomination that is Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chile Beer. In my opinion, Rogue should have upped the flavor and heat by at least 50%. I have a minimal burn going, although it's really more of a warm tickle. I've come to expect quality mouthfeels from this brewery and I've yet to be disappointed. This one is medium, lithe, supple and is a pleasure in the mouth.

Chile beer tends to be polarizing. Looking at some of the scores, Chipotle Ale is no different. On this one, however, I find myself gravitating toward some middle ground. I think I want more of a chipotle presence, but I'm not sure if I'd like the beer that I'm suggesting they brew. If anyone out there is worried about overwhelming roasted pepper flavor and mouth numbing heat, don't be. This is a relatively tame chile beer and, in the end, is an enjoyable one.

3.67/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours an amber golden colour, with a filmy head of creamed-honey coloured head, a little lacing, but it's very filmy. Quite pale, can't say I'm a huge fan, to be honest, but it's ok.

Lots of sweetness on the nose, very honey-like; almost reeking of it, with the sort of floral notes that come from specific honey varieties as well. Some light smokiness, but not a huge amount - quite subdued for what I was expecting. But it's a very pleasant aroma nonetheless.

Smokiness is far more pronounced on the palate, with a really sweet-smoked character coming through, like honey baked ham. Some crispness on the finish, with a rather dry character. Mouthfeel is incredibly tingly, partly from carbonation, and probably from the peppers, but it does add a zing to the smoke characters.

I've had better smoked beers, but the smoky characters on this one are quite well done. I fear that this beer, unlike others I've had, doesn't have quite as good a base recipe - but it's certainly quite pleasant, and drinkable enough for what it is.

Certainly the best chile beer I've yet tried.

3.67/5  rDev +3.1%

Burned the devil with this one on 7/22/2004. 16-oz. pour at Redbones in a shaker glass.

Hue was amber to a slight vermilion. Little head to speak of; just a faint skein. Peppery spiciness accentuated by a grotto-like outer roundness to the whole nose gay. Not sure which hot peppers were used in this – chipolte, cascabel, California hybrid, Anaheim, jalapeno, pequin, or serrano – but whatever they were, they fired right through my lips, leaving a scalding trail up my tongue, through the roof of my mouth and up into my skull. And I loved it. There also seemed to be a slight cream edge, like baker’s chocolate. The spice didn’t really catch fire until five or six seconds after each swallow. I was happy that the only other thing I was eating at Redbones on this visit was water, and not their barbecue, because I think that would have been sheer overkill. Overall, this is a medium-bodied offering and one that I would choose to have more than one of if my tongue would allow it. I truly enjoyed this unusual pour, and in the end, it packed no more heat than a few drops of Tabasco.

3.66/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from the bomber into a glass. Producing just under an inch of white head. color is a very pale, hazy golden amber.
Retention leaves a generous collar.
Aroma is a bit ashy, mild sweet graininess, with a little sourdough breadyness. although aroma is pretty faint and not forward at all.
Flavors of toasted cherry wood, light malts, spice through the finish with more toasted wood flavors. Mild bittering hops through the finish as well with bready flavors too.
Mouthfeel is light with moderate carbonation.

This here is a good sessionable brew, would purchase again.

3.66/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance is a copper color. Not much head forms and what does disappears quickly.

Smell is very weak. I can not get much at all ... some very weak malt aromas.

Taste is a smokey pepper one. I taste the pepper which is why I drink this style. One can not give me enough pepper in a brew. I'll trade for any chile beer you have!

Mouthfeel is on the thin side but I like the burning sensation.

Overall I like this beer as a very drinkable one.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

22oz bottle. Pours a clear light copper with a white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is subdued - some sweet malts and smokey peppers and liquid smoke.

The flavor is some sweet malt quickly followed by a lot of smokey chipotle pepper with some light to moderate heat in the background. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation - slightly watery.

Overall, this is one of the best chili beers I've had. It's pretty moderate in heat, but I really like the flavors of the chipotle and smokiness. It's still pretty one-sided in that it's all about the pepper.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a very clear copper/orange (way to go Pacman yeast). Thin, compact head dissipates extremely rapidly to nothing (likely due to chipotle oils in the beer). During sipping, there is no lacing that clings to the glass.

Scents of toffee, faint caramel, slight floral hop presence.

Medium to highly carbonated brew hits the palate and helps to spread the flavors around. Thin, but crisp mouthfeel. I would like a little more malt presence up front to balance the 35 IBUs of cascade and willamette hops. But, I do initially taste some earthy caramel and slight nutty flavor. The chipotle presence quickly exerts itself as the liquid warms. This pepper taste lingers for a long time on the palette after each sip, especially in the back of the mouth.

Although I couldn't drink pint after pint of this interesting ale, I do appreciate the creativity inherent in the recipe. The chipotle flavor is not overpowering and is quite interesting. I will purchase this brew again and have already started thinking about fun food pairings.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

22oz bottle served chilled. Pours a hazy, burnt orange color, with an offwhite head that fades quickly. Only a few patches of lace were left on the glass. Aroma was very subdued for a Rogue. Sweet caramel dominated the nose, with just a hint of fruitiness and some smoke. Mouthfeel was actively carbonated with some mild hop bite and a slight twang of pepper bite. Taste featured the caramel malt sweetness, with a balance provided by sparing use of the westcoast hops. I could detect a mild, smoky chili flavor of the chipotle peppers, but they're in the background. Very well balanced, overall, and very drinkable. I think this one would be better with a more assertive pepper presence.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Opened 22 oz bomber bottle, poured into Nonic glass.

Nice off white head forms about 3/4" above top of golden/amber brew.

Smell is of hoppy citrus, but nothing outstanding. Taste is definitely smokey chipotle with a little hoppy bitterness on the finish. It would be awesome if it were just a tad sweeter, but all in all, its a pleasant brew. Very novelty, wouldn't be a regular brew.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Clear auburn brew underneath an lightly peach-yellow tinted head. Head is large and fluffy initially and promptly fades to an 1/8," edged by clumpy lace piles. Aroma is like smoked earth mixed with root veggies, butterscotch, musky floral, caramel, and dank leather. Taste has a touch of prickly spice (nothing comparable to eating fresh, hot jalapeños), among more earthy, smoky, and even slightly meaty flavors. A bit of sour acidity is interesting as it offsets the slick, slippery malts. Body is moderate in size and texture is pleasant and simple. The jalapeño adds an enjoyable warming quality. On yet another occasion, I am discovering that hot peppers enhance alcoholic beverages. Easy to drink, refreshing and roasty.

This would probably be good with some Mexican food.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a light reddish-brown with a pillowy off-white head.

Smells like malts and smoky/roasted peppers. Some hint of hops is there, but the peppers drown it out.

Definite chipotle flavor cutting through the malts. Smokiness is more noticable than heat from the peppers. Caramel is prominent when the smokiness fades. The finish is somewhat drying, and the mouthfeel is quite thin.

It's hard to rate drinkability on this. It's definitely tasty and easy to drink, but I can't really think of a time when I'd want a chipotle-flavored beverage.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

On tap at Beer Run in Charlottesville, VA.

Appearance: Pours a reddish mahogany, with a small amount of persistent head and plenty of lacing.

Smell: Faint, in general, with hints of smoke and spice, as well as some sweet malty notes.

Taste: I ate nachos right before having this beer, and I'm now regretting it--tastes slightly hot, VERY peppery. The jalepeno taste is not particularly overpowering, but was a little too much at that point for me.

Mouthfeel: Interesting. Very light and smooth, but ends with a kick with the peppers, which are primarily present as an aftertaste. The lower level of carbonation works really well to compliment the spices--I have a feeling that much more would have just made it far too fizzy.

Drinkability: Not too great for this one. To be fair, I was a little tired of the spicy taste already, but I don't think it would be easy to drink regardless. It's not a bad beer--in fact, it's a pretty interesting one--but it's more of a novelty than anything I think I'd actively seek out again. I just feel like something's missing...

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance: amber-hued body with a thinnish, near white head. decent lacing.

Smell: toasty amber malts, nice smokey aromas

Taste: wow, nice and smokey, but low heat. I was expecting more pepper heat on the backend and through throat. disappointe din that.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body.

Drinkability: decent beer, could have used more heat. Ot's a chili beer!

Drunk from a pint-glass, on-tap at Rogue Ale House

Hate/love tasting of this brew

A - Nice and dark, brownish

S - Peppery

T - Goes in like a dark ale, porter, half-stout; then peppers kick in, nice sensation, but then just ramming the buds like a tabasco kick. A bit much, but I looked forward to another sip, though I knew it wouldnt be for a bit.

D - Slow drinking brew. Definitely not a consecutive brew for my taste, but enjoyable. Worth a try.

I would be curious as to the ABV on this one (above it says "?")

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottle was given to me by a Rogue rep. Poured into a pint tumbler.

A: Poured an orange color with a bit of cloud to it. Little head with little retention.

S: Smells mostly sweet with malt in there. Has a smokiness that I can only assume is the chipolte.

T: Actually pretty good. The sweetness of the malt really carries this beer far. On the backend, the chipolte bite tickles the back of your tongue and throat. Nothing too crazy with spice, very subtle.

M: Finishes pretty clean and has some decent carbonation to help this beer along. Aftertaste is a bit of chipolte bite that lingers in your throat.

D: This is definitely a beer to be had with a meal. Would really complement some BBQ or mexican food. I wouldn't drink this as a relaxing beer on a night after work, but given the right circumstances I would drink this again.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Served in a pint glass at the Bronx Ale House.

A: Pours a clear, light orange/red. One finger tan head that sticks around and laces a bit.

S: Smoky, but not overpoweringly so. A good amount of sweet malt to balance it.

T: Not at all what I had expected. I'm not picking up too much heat in this beer at all. It's smoky, and there's a definite an adobe/chipotle undercurrent throughout. But it's also quite malty, a mellow sweet bread flavor. Some tingly hops, too.

M/D: Carbonation is pretty low, and mouthfeel is fairly light. I liked the taste at first, but by the end, the smokiness wore out its welcome and I was ready to switch. I think this beer has a lot of potential when paired well with food, but it's a bit much on its own.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Bomber poured into my favorite bomber-sized glass.

A nice head formed, which took a while to settle, eventually with no lace. Initially very murky, yet no visible yeast deposits; a beautiful red color, but it never cleared up. I like murky beers, but not consistently murky beers and not when it's unexplainable.

The nose was interesting--I expected more chipotle, but that was subtle and balanced by some expected and some unexpected hints, including a faint medicinal scent and some magic marker--but not much. Oddly, the nose, for me anyway, was mixed to the point that it was hard to pick out particular scents. It smelled like ale, but mysteriously, and I liked that. Like all Rogue flavored beers, a general synthetic nose was present, but less so than in other offerings (which I have not liked).

The taste was strange--because it was not that strange. I'm not sure how this beer could get bad reviews. It's not that great, but it's not over-the-top, like the chicory Dogfish Head, IMO one of the worst beers I've ever had. In fact, I like this better than the other Rogue flavored beers, including those which are lauded by BA reviewers. If anything, I would have liked more heat promised by the title, and I think it would have been better with more hops.

The mouthfeel was poor--the carbonation is too much like soda. That, to me, interferes with its drinkability as well.

Unlike most novelty beers, I'm glad I tried this one. If it were cheaper, I'd try it again, but there are so many outstanding bombers available for just $1 more in Columbus (this was $4), like Hop Rod Rye, the Avery barleywine ... yeah, especially those two. I'm glad a Rogue flavor bomber finally came through for me.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Reddish copper, thin layer of patchy head - 4.00, S: Subtle smoke on the nose along with the zest of the jalapenos, very earthy aroma, hops are hard to discern but a hearty malt backing is apparent, a more pleasant smell than I would generally expect from a chile beer - 4.00, T: A medium malt base, definite heat but far from overpowering, a very veggie quality to the beer, some hop bite on the tail - 3.50, M: Medium bodied - 3.50, D: Chile beers certainly aren't a some draw to me, but this one is reasonable to the point of making it quite drinkable - 3.50

3.64/5  rDev +2.2%

I've seen this beer around and decided to give it a shot finally. It sounded interesting at the least. I think this is probably the first "chile beer" I've ever tried.

This bomber poured a rich clear amber color with a thick white head that fades to almost nothing a bit quickly.

Aroma is big on the chipotle peppers. Hint of smoke and hops. and a mild malty sweetness.

Taste is where this thing gets really interesting. The smoky chipotle peppers really come through and is the most prominent flavor. Very little but balanced malt and hops hide but can be tasted. Very different from anything I've ever had. It's clean though.

Medium creamy body. Decent carbonation. A bit of spiciness but finishes clean and smooth and is pairing excellently with the mexican dish I am eating. It's different and definitely not something I'd drink every day but it was enjoyable.

3.64/5  rDev +2.2%

Had this before the poker game yesterday. Poured a hazy orange amber color with thick foamy white head, almost like what cooking caramel looks like. Plenty of lacing. Smelled of yeast and a little pepper. Tasted of malts, a dash of hops, with a nice peppery kick. Wow! Incredibly smooth, considering the pepper. No more than two, though.

3.64/5  rDev +2.2%

Picked up a bomber of this for a friend and myself who enjoy hot food and peppers.

Poured a orangish amber with a thin finger of very light green head. Head retention is poor, and it reduced itself to edges in only a minute. Lacing is mild.

Smell is interesting. Mild pepper and smoke with a very light malt.

Taste is a strong sweet hop, followed suit by a sour smoked pepper flavor. Finish is a bit strong, and leaves a mild heat in the back of your mouth.

Mouthfeel is smooth and light bodied, feels watered down a bit and I wish the pepper was strong.

My overall impression of this is that its a novelty beer. I'd drink it again for sure but because of the hop and spice mix, something I know doesn't mix well with alot of foods, I'd have a hard time pairing it, and would limit it to rare occasions when I'd want an odd beer out.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle (no date) into a pint glass.

A moderate pour yields a 1/2-finger off-white head that quickly dissipates to a very light dusting and thin foam ring. The body is a hazy honey amber color with very few carbonation bubbles. Light lacing is noticed throughout consumption.

Sweet malts and light, floral hops aromas give way to a spicy pepper overtone. Unfortunately, the aromas are rather muted which makes analysis rather difficult.

Sweet malts start the sip, but a smoky pepper flavor quickly takes over. The pepper is not exactly spicy, but is definitely striking. It definitely has more of a chipotle feel, as the flavor is more earthy and rustic. Honestly, I expected more of a spicy assault than I was given.

Light bodied with strong carbonation, this beer is nearly gulp-worthy and almost thirst-quenching. The combination between the carbonation and the body is fantastic as it creates a great late spring / summer beer that is very pair-able with many cuisines.

While the look of this beer leaves much to be desired, the mouthfeel is superb. The smell is quite lacking and the flavor, while decent, could definitely use more of a bite. While this is probably not a beer I would be clamoring to purchase again, I can understand why some would seek it out.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Pours apple juice copper with a thin bubbly, foamy white head that leaves foamy patches on the glass.

The smell is of the Rogue signature Pac-man yeast, with bready, citric, grainy notes. Not catching the chipotle, other than a slightly smoky whiff that could easily be missed.

The taste is of ... Rogue's signature Pac-man yeast strain. A nice yeast strain, to say the least. Otherwise, there is a bready taste with a touch of citrus and pine. The hops add flavor, but little bitterness, as this remains sweet throughout. The spicy part starts out very very mild, but grows a bit as it progresses, more in the form of smokiness than sharp heat. Finishes sweet with a touch of smoky balance.

It has a medium body with lingering sweetness.

Drinks easily. Not the chile heat that I expected, but that is probably not a bad thing. Interesting as "something different", but not enough to it (in any direction of the several that it goes) to get again.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Pours a nice looking amber color with nice copper highlights and a white head on top that dissolves fairly slowly, although there's no real lacing. Nose is spicy malt, some smokiness, and roasted malt as well. Taste is similar. Spicy malt up front, some toffee and smokiness in there too. The chipotle spice shows up in the middle and sticks it through the aftertaste, a strangely spicy brew (my first chile brew). Kind of like a mild bitter or solid spicy malt beer, taken to the extreme in terms of spiciness. Overall, I liked this one. Very interesting.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales