Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev +2%

A: Pours a nice clear copper color with a thin layer of head. Dissipates fairly quickly and doesn't leave much lacing.

S: Not much of a smell. A little bit of malt and smoke, but not much.

T: The malt hits you first with some sweetness, followed by some hints of smoke. The pepper flavor comes out the end, but isn't dominating or overpowering. It's subtle but present. I found it interesting that some sips of this beer that I took were better than others. A few sips had a really nice hops/pepper finish to them that was quite tasty.

M: Smooth, felt a little thin, but overall not bad. Good carbonation.

D: For me, this is an occasional beer. It's tasty, but not something I'd want all the time. Definitely worth a try though.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 650 ml. Bottle into Nonic.

Rusty brown, clear, with a half-inch of creamy, off-white head which doesn't seem to lace at all.

Smells strongly of cedary smoke with hints of unsweetened chocolate, maple, apples, and oily hops.

Smoke permeates the flavor as well. Toast, bitter chocolate, cedar, and an oily bitterness. Vague cooked plant flavors, presumably from the Chipotles with which this beer was brewed. Very slight warmth on the back of the throat quickly fades.

The mouthfeel is full, warm, and oily smooth. Fizzy carbonation and decent weight.

This is an interesting beer that I don't think would be well suited to session drinking. I look forward to experimenting with various food pairings, but sitting down at the pub and having three or four in a row doesn't really sound ideal.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

A - Pours with a moderate amount of head. Has a hazy copper color.

S - A good aroma of yeast with hints of spices.

T - First taste is mostly malt, then the smoky chipotle heat hits you. I noted a little sourness at the end.

M - Medium bodied. Maybe just a tad bit flat though.

D - I personally love the spiciness. Quite savory as it goes down.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

A: Pours an orangish amber color with. Small head that dissipated quickly
S: Smell is smoky and slighlty malty
T: Taste is peppery, smokey. Tastes like chipolte jack cheese
M: Mild to moderate amount of carbonation
D: Interesting beer, would go very good with a good cheese.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Appearance: amber-hued body with a thinnish, near white head. decent lacing.

Smell: toasty amber malts, nice smokey aromas

Taste: wow, nice and smokey, but low heat. I was expecting more pepper heat on the backend and through throat. disappointe din that.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body.

Drinkability: decent beer, could have used more heat. Ot's a chili beer!

Drunk from a pint-glass, on-tap at Rogue Ale House

Hate/love tasting of this brew

A - Nice and dark, brownish

S - Peppery

T - Goes in like a dark ale, porter, half-stout; then peppers kick in, nice sensation, but then just ramming the buds like a tabasco kick. A bit much, but I looked forward to another sip, though I knew it wouldnt be for a bit.

D - Slow drinking brew. Definitely not a consecutive brew for my taste, but enjoyable. Worth a try.

I would be curious as to the ABV on this one (above it says "?")

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Oh wow. I was really impressed with this one, not knowing what to expect, really. It poured a bit darker than I was thinking it would. Slightly cloudy medium bronze orange colour with a slightly off-white head that went away pretty quickly. Smell is mostly sweet malts and smoke. Taste is more of the same, with very little hot pepper presence. Only a very slight tingle, and that's kind of hit or miss. Sometimes it's present, and sometimes not. Actually, there is a slight heat that's noticeable many seconds after you swallow your sip. Quite smooth and drinkable. Very impressive, for what it is. I'd definately buy this again. Nice job, Rogue.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Poured from bomber bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark, rust orange in colour with about a finger of slightly off-white head that disappears after a few moments.

S: Nose is mainly of malt, with faint smoke scents in the background.

T: Strong malt flavour, with some spiciness up front, followed by a dry finish which holds the smokiness and slight bit of fresh, hot pepper.

M: Felt kinda thin to be honest.

D/O: Pretty enjoyable beer. The smokiness and pepper make it worthwhile.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

This was good but I wasn't wow'ed. Pours an amber color with a small off white head. The aromas on the nose were very faint although you do pick up slight notes of hops, smoke and peppers. The chipolte comes through subtely just adding a littel smokiness that is balanced with hops and malts. Overall good but not great

3.63/5  rDev +2%

I poured this into a pint glass

A - Slightly cloudy with a decent slightly reddish color.

S - I didn't notice anything outstanding other than some hops. Nothing really jumped out at me.

T - This was pretty decent. I was worried it would be a little too spicy or have a flavor I didn't like. It tasted like a decent ale with a little bit of a bite. I wouldn't know the reason for the bite if I didn't read the label, but it was decent.

M - Again, the slight bite was the most noticeable thing to me. Mostly on the sides of my tongue, it felt nice. Nothing bad about this one.

D - I could have a few of these. Of beers similar in style, this is probably about average. If I had to buy it, I would probably settle for a beer a little lighter on the wallet but with similar taste. This isn't a beer I would go out and buy a case of, but if my buddy offered it to me I'd have no problem drinking it.

22 oz. bomber, poured into a Duvel tulip,

A: Dark red-brown with a medium white head.

S: Smells of bready malt, with a hint of chipotle peppers.

T: Big caramel malt, the chipotle peppers are subtle and not over-the-top, making their main appearance as some slight capsaicin warming at the end of the sip.

M: Smooth, medium-bodied, spicy.

D: A good beer, would go well with Mexican food, I would have liked a little more robustness in the pepper aspect of this beer, but overall it was a good experience and I'm glad I tried it, and with this one revisited it.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Bomber poured into my favorite bomber-sized glass.

A nice head formed, which took a while to settle, eventually with no lace. Initially very murky, yet no visible yeast deposits; a beautiful red color, but it never cleared up. I like murky beers, but not consistently murky beers and not when it's unexplainable.

The nose was interesting--I expected more chipotle, but that was subtle and balanced by some expected and some unexpected hints, including a faint medicinal scent and some magic marker--but not much. Oddly, the nose, for me anyway, was mixed to the point that it was hard to pick out particular scents. It smelled like ale, but mysteriously, and I liked that. Like all Rogue flavored beers, a general synthetic nose was present, but less so than in other offerings (which I have not liked).

The taste was strange--because it was not that strange. I'm not sure how this beer could get bad reviews. It's not that great, but it's not over-the-top, like the chicory Dogfish Head, IMO one of the worst beers I've ever had. In fact, I like this better than the other Rogue flavored beers, including those which are lauded by BA reviewers. If anything, I would have liked more heat promised by the title, and I think it would have been better with more hops.

The mouthfeel was poor--the carbonation is too much like soda. That, to me, interferes with its drinkability as well.

Unlike most novelty beers, I'm glad I tried this one. If it were cheaper, I'd try it again, but there are so many outstanding bombers available for just $1 more in Columbus (this was $4), like Hop Rod Rye, the Avery barleywine ... yeah, especially those two. I'm glad a Rogue flavor bomber finally came through for me.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

A: Reddish copper, thin layer of patchy head - 4.00, S: Subtle smoke on the nose along with the zest of the jalapenos, very earthy aroma, hops are hard to discern but a hearty malt backing is apparent, a more pleasant smell than I would generally expect from a chile beer - 4.00, T: A medium malt base, definite heat but far from overpowering, a very veggie quality to the beer, some hop bite on the tail - 3.50, M: Medium bodied - 3.50, D: Chile beers certainly aren't a some draw to me, but this one is reasonable to the point of making it quite drinkable - 3.50

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on December 29, 2011. The pour is amber-copper with a short-lasting head that boils down to a ring and a slightly cloudy appearance. For the title, the aroma is actually rather straight forward with a nuice sweet maltiness and a clean hoppiness on the nose. The body is medium. Compared to the aroma the taste is entirely unique with a very spicy bite of pepper that pretty mucn drowns out the malts and hops. Unique for certain but not really something I would have regularly.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy of Adrian910ss: Poured a medium amber color ale with a nice foamy head with quite good retention. Aroma of light chilli is interesting and less prominent then expected. Taste of subtle spicy chilli is very interesting and not gross at all. Some smoky flavours are also noticeable and enjoyable with a medium hoppy finish that complements very well this beer. This beer was way better then expected and I’m glad I had the chance to try this.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass at the Melt in Lakewood. Pours a beautiful golden amber color with a thin white head.

Has a smoky smell, with an underlying maltiness.

Taste up front is akin to a typical lager; malty, slightly hoppy. Give it a minute, thought, for the burn to start in. First, it gets the back of the tongue, then starts in down the throat. Continued drinking, naturally, increases the burn.

Mouthfeel is thin, and burning!

Drinkable is not a word I'd use with this beer. If you like spiciness, get a burrito or snack on a jalapeno. I don't get why it should taste good in a beer. That said, Rogue seems to have done a good job on this one. If I were inclined to have another spicy beer, I'd have this one again.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber color with a thin creamy white head. Smokey pepper, malty aroma. Initial taste is very unusual and awkward but becomes very good. Warm, full bodied. Spicy finish. Very intriguing beer if you want to explore, but not something you would drink very often.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

650mL bottle with no freshness date (come on, Rogue, you silkscreen these beautiful labels on all your bombers, put a freakin' bottled-on date up!) poured into pint glass.

Pours a translucent hazy rusted orange with a surprisingly small head that dissipates quickly. I'm not used to this from a Rogue product.

Aroma is assertively smoky, with a hint of citrus hops.

Taste is malt-forward up front, with some bready and caramel flavours, subdued mind you, but there, with a sweet hint of light citrus (sweetened grapefruit?). The smoke takes over and lingers with some chipotle heat.

Mouthfeel is light to medium body with some sparkle from the carbonation.

If you like chipotle and smoke a lot, you'll probably find this drinkable. Personally, I found it overpowered the more pleasant flavours here. I only drank about half the bottle, saving the rest for cooking.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Amber red with a good head that dissipates to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: A very pleasing Chipotle scent. The Chipotle dominates the smell, but it's pleasant. There’s also a nice smokiness, and I’m catching a hint of sweetness in the nose… maybe vanilla?

Taste: I couldn’t detect any spicy heat, as others were able to, but then again I can take a lot of heat so I’ll miss it if it’s not strong. Chipotle flavor goes well with this beer; it’s not overpowering, but good.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy, lightly carbonated.

Drinkability: A very drinkable beer. Nothing too exceptional, but good.

Edit: After taking my last sips of this beer at room temperature, I did catch a hint of heat. :-)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

7/21/2005 $4.69 22 oz. No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a brilliant medium brown that is crystal clear, and speckled with hints of claret, adorned by an inch of creamy white/tan head.

Aroma:

Surprisingly sweet with a strong malt aroma, and only a touch of peppery spice in the end of the nose.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Very smooth and sweet upfront, followed by a drying bitter aspect from the hops. Some heat sneaks in towards the end, but not nearly what I was expecting from one of my favorite peppers. No pepper qualities whatsoever in the flavor, which is somewhat of a letdown.

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

Picked up from Austin Liquors after much deliberation. Would have liked a little more heat though.

A - Poured into my Clown Shoes pint a copper colour with a fizzy one finger head that receeed to leave minimal lacing and an almost nonexistant halo.

S - Mostly just sweet malts here. There are some super light chipotle notes.

T - Like the nose this is lots of malts up front. As it moves in the mouth though a light smokey chipotle flavour comes through, finishing with just a little bit of nondescript chili heat.

M - Low on the carbonation here. Its good, it just comes off as a little thin and watery.

O - Its a pretty good chile beer. Could use a little more chipotle flavour. This is probably a good introduction beer to this style?

Reviewed 3/15/2009 (bottle):

Pours a very golden body, big creamy foamy head, diminishing. Smokey hoppy aroma, not quite cigarette but close, not ashy. Smokey, malty taste, more chipotley now. Not sweet, not hoppy. Clean aftertaste. The smoke is subtle, would go well w/bbq, or any grilled meat.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

[Appearance]: Deep amber color, clear, medium amount of carbonation, nice foamy head, leaves a nice lacing on the glass.
[Smell]: Smoked chipotle pepper and toasted malts.
[Taste]: Chipotle/Jalapeno pepper up front, slight smokey from the pepper, toasted malts, slight hoppy bite at the end.
[Mouthfeel]: Oily mouthfeel, carbonation feel about medium, mild spicy heat from the pepper, pretty smooth.
[Drinkability]: Average. I wouldn't drink this beer all the time, but I'm sure it goes great with authentic Mexican food.

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

It poured out a nice red-tinted, hazy oak, with a thick reddish head. It smelled like roasted peppers, caramel, and (bready) yeast. While I could taste hops, they were just a foundation for the roasted chipotles and malt. And this is a malty beer, not sweet, but a little thicker than I had expected. More importantly: it has a heavy roasted chipotle flavor, though very little heat. Instead, the peppers give a great roasted / smoky flavor. This beer would be wonderful with a big Southwestern meal.

I'm not sure how typical this beer is for the style. While I was expecting a crisp, spicy pale ale, I was pleasantly surprised by the smoky, roasted taste.

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a beautiful clear red with about one generous finger of head dissapating rapidly to leave a fine lace across the surface of the ale,barely clinging to the sides of my tulip.

Quickly a pungent mesquite malt aroma yeilds to smoked chilis, reminicent of pepper-jack cheese.

Green vegetal, artichoke taste into smoked red-pepper with a grassy, slightly floral finish.

Somewhat thin bodied with a punch of chili-heat that is effectively accentuated by mild carbonation.

An interesting offering from the "Brewers on the Bay". This ale would pair well with Latin or Cajun seafood dishes. Definitely drinkable, I wish there were a few more ounces in my glass.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales