2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chipotle AleChipotle Ale

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,190 | Reviews: 681 | Show All Ratings:
soulfly967

2.75/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This one poured a dark amber with hints of red throughout. A very light brown, somewhat tan head formed that held on for a bit, then fell to a film leaving some lacing. The smell was of some smoke, lightly roasted malts, chili peppers and some hops. The taste was sweetish and malty at the front, with some hops at the finish and only a faint showing of smoked peppers, very disappointing. The mouthfeel was fairly smooth and medium bodied, nothing to write home about. I would have to say that 22oz. was a bit too much of this. I was hoping for a smoke filled, fire breathing trip through Hell, but I did't get it. Oh well, better luck next time.

05-19-2005 04:01:08 | More by soulfly967
TheLongBeachBum

2.55/5  rDev -28.6%

Presentation: 22 ounce Bomber. Cream, Red and Brown colored façade with the words ‘Chipotle Ale’; underneath the familiar looking Rogueish Chap. The geeky beer blurb lists this as an Ale Brewed with Chipotle Peppers on the bottle, but its vital statistics are more scientifically expressed as 13° Plato, 34 IBU, 77 AA, 3.2° Lovibond.

Appearance: Dark amber-red body with deep orange flashes, looks extremely good when backlit. The beige head is thick and has an egg-white stiffness which leaves a nice run of smattered lace on the edge of the Glass Mug I am using. Conditioning seems high at first but settles to a moderate level once the head sits down and relaxes.

Nose: Smokey malt nose with a Chipotle Tabasco Sauce odor. Toasted malts break through in the finish with a delicate hint of hops, but not much.

Taste: Lots of smoky malts in this one smoked and toasted the middle only hints at the Chipotle Peppers, which is a shame. Overpowering and one-dimensional, the experience is finally ruined with a waxy, lard ridden smoky bacon feel in the back end.

Mouthfeel: Starts OK, middles average, and slowly finishes with unsettling thick lard-like constitution that coats the inner cheeks with a smoky bacon flavored fat-like residue. Not very nice at all.

Drinkability: I managed the Bomber, but only just, I did struggle with it. I found the smokiness to be too overpowering in this brew to be honest, I expected more from the Chipotle Peppers, a more refined balanced brew, what I got was a smoked beer which was a tad sickly in the long run.

Overall: Tastes like a ‘run-of-the-mill’ smoked beer to me, and a rather unbalanced one at that. Sadly, only the merest hint of Chipotle Pepper in the back end here. I love spicy food and peppers, but I’m glad I only got one of these. More Smoked than Chipotle, which was a disappointment, nevertheless it’s not a bad brew….it’s just not for me though.

05-15-2005 20:06:54 | More by TheLongBeachBum
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.08/5  rDev +14.3%

Thanks to Chris for sharing this with me. It pours a deep amber color with a finger of head that falls to coat the beer. The nose is slightly chile spicey, with a slight grainey sweet background. The chile is not all that strong, but it is well in the front of the brew. The flavor is not all that bad. There is a smokeyness that hits initially. The chile kicks in but not all that bed. No burning at all. Just nice roasted chile character. I would like to have this beer with some Mexican food. No real heat, just a slight spice in my stomach. I like it. The feel is moderate with a nice healthy carb. Overall, this is drinkable for a chile brew. The flavors are nicely balanced, the feel is good, the nose is nice. I think if you review this to style, it should be top dog. I take my hat off to Rogue for this brew. Very nice.

05-12-2005 01:47:34 | More by kmpitz2
SheepNutz

Kentucky

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

22oz. bomber poured into a snifter. It pours a deep amber color with one finger of head. Almost no lacing. The smell is weird. It's malty, a little hoppy, and has a smoky aroma to it. It's not bad at all! The taste is fairly malty up front, but then the smoky peppers come in. They don't hit you hard, or are overpowering, but just subtle. Not too shabby. Slightly hoppy on the finish. The mouthfeel is decent, and the drinkability is just a little harsh. Fairly decent, thanks Chris!

05-12-2005 01:40:17 | More by SheepNutz
marcobrau

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a clear, amber hue, with a white head, that holds for a few minutes and falls to a single layer of bubbles. Chipotle smokiness is present in the mostly malty aroma. A pretty standard amber ale, with caramel malt flavors and spicy hops. A bit papery in the middle; oxidized perhaps, or maybe just the effect of adding chiles to the beer. With a fairly bitter finish. Just a touch of Chipotle flavor and a just a hint of heat in the finish. I expected a little more heat and a little more smokiness. Would probably go well with some Mexican food, but on its own the chile flavor is a bit odd.

05-01-2005 01:52:37 | More by marcobrau
Troyone

Pours an amber color with a copper hue, little to no head, and the carbonation appears limited.

Sweet toasted malt aroma with resin orange hops and hints of vanilla and pepper in the background.

The taste has a sweet acidic flavor with roasted malt and resin grapefruit/orange hops.

The mouthfeel is smooth with a medium body, dry slightly syrupy texture, soft and lively carbonation, and a metalic/chalky finish.

The pepper flavor along with the chalky finish limits the drinkability.

04-29-2005 09:54:26 | More by Troyone
IceAce

3.33/5  rDev -6.7%

Well, the seedless chipotle is certainly the star of the show as my very first sip was simply, "Wow...spicy beer!"

This deep copper brew sports a tight tan finger of foam and a dry, earthy nose which requires a wee bit of coaxing. Carbonation is adequate without being prickly and the peppers really hold off to the finish...a welcome relief.

Entry is quite unremarkable and seemingly like an ESB with soft earthy malts flowing over the tongue. Mid-taste has decent body and an inherant sweetness ushering in the inevitable finish.

Ahhh...the finish! The peppers build slowly with a solid backing of almond-like smokiness toward a crescendo of throat drying chipotle goodness. The brewers came as close to 'over the top' as possible without actually losing control of the taste here as each sip begets another.

All-in-all a nice one-off beer, but nothing I could do for a session...but I sure wish I had some more almonds...

04-27-2005 06:07:48 | More by IceAce
pentathlete

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

This beer pours into the pint glass a dark orange with a big bubble head that drops down to a 1/8 inch top. Smell is smoky, similar to the Rogue Smoke Ale, but milder. Some malt and hops struggles through. Taste is smoky with a mild heat. This beer could use just a touch more heat, though my wife thought it was too hot. Results vary by palate, eh? The smokiness was assertive but, again, not as strong as in the Smoke Ale. Mouthfeel is medium with the smokiness and heat providing the body. There are some hops noted in the end. This is a quaffable brew, demanding some hearty food to accompany it. I'll have this on hand for barbecues this summer.

04-24-2005 22:39:52 | More by pentathlete
DrainBamage

4.55/5  rDev +27.5%

I wasn't sure what to except of this beer since the last chile beer I had was Crazy Ed's and I didn't care for that one bit. Based on the BA rating and knowing that it's a Rogue Ale I knew I wouldn't be let down. It pours a cloudy brown color with little head. For some reason I was excepting a strong chile smell, but it is quite mild as it that of brown ale. With the mouthfeel you have a nice sense of carbonation and is smooth. The taste is similar to a brown ale, but has hint of another flavor I just can't pinpoint. Even for people that don't like the idea of chile in beer should give this at try, I was pleasantly surprised and can easily drink several of these. Two thumbs up on this one.

04-24-2005 21:37:18 | More by DrainBamage
yen157

4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

Glowing amber orange with a creamy orange-tinged head with good lacing. I can’t believe the difference in color between this and the Golden is only the chipotles! It’s way to rich in color! Sweet malt with lots of smokiness. Close to a rauchbier in character with “something else” going on. Clean tasting beer, good malt presence, definite chipotle flavor. There is no mistaking this for a rauchbier. Slight spicy tingle builds after a few sips. Smokey aftertaste with lingering bitterness. Tasty brew. I wouldn’t go they *obvious* approach and pair this with a spicy dish, but this would be a nice compliment to simply prepared chicken or an assortment of mild cheeses.

04-18-2005 20:30:26 | More by yen157
Star80

2.98/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours out a copper color. Head ends up pretty thin. Can definitely pick up the chipotles in the aroma. Taste is quite smokey and peppery. Has some hops but not as much as other Rogues. Maybe that's what is missing, I think this beer would go well with a lot of foods, especially with American summertime cuisine. Right now my tastebuds are looking for something to pair it with...feels a little bit oily in my mouth. Perhaps I may revisit this one when I can eat something with it.

04-17-2005 04:36:09 | More by Star80
meathookjones

3.75/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a clear amber color with a small light tan head. Decent lace. Light smoky smell to it and a solid malt backbone to help it out. Pretty simple nose to it but it gets the jobs done. Taste was quite malty with sweet caramel standing out and a solid smokiness throughout the flavor. A tad spicy from the hops or the peppers. Nice, simple and very clean. A little more kick would have done it good. Mouthfeel is about medium and the goes down quite easy. Very drinkable stuff. Even more so with a meal. I enjoyed it.

04-13-2005 12:24:11 | More by meathookjones
TheJudge

2.93/5  rDev -17.9%

The beer pours a nice red color, no real head to speak of. Not bad. The nose is disappointing. Some malt aroma, no hops, no pepper smell. I expected more, from Rogue and from the billing on the bottle.

The taste is SMOKEY. They call it subtle, but it ain't. No spice really, just smoke. Not what I was expecting. I wanted to get some pepper out of it, but it just wasn't really there. Felt good in the mouth, slight burn that was reminicent of pepper.

I dont think I will have another one of these. I admit I am not always a fan of smoke beers, but I love my peppers. I was disappointed.

04-12-2005 17:12:01 | More by TheJudge
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

I like hot chiles, I could use a six pack of this over the winter. There is taste there, however one-dimensional chiles with a smoke offering. Had again seven months later, and similarly liked the strong taste. Perhaps I am a contrarian, but I also like Canadian garlic beer.

04-06-2005 02:51:31 | More by Sammy
neonbrown82

Nebraska

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Not bad... Not as good as I had hoped it to be, but not nearly as bad as I expected it to be. The appearance of this beer is quite beautiful. It has a deep amber color with golden highlights. A perfectly composed and sized white head that eventually recedes to a ring. The smell picks up a bit on the smoked chipotle peppers on top of the slightly roasted malts. The taste is dominated by the smokey flavor from the chipotle, but it is not disgustingly strong like I find many smoked beers to be (such as the Rogue Smoke Ale). I was a little bit disappointed that there wasn't more of a sweet BBQ type of flavor in the back or even the spiciness. Perhaps one day, if I am ever feeling adventurous (and if it is available) I will have to try the Cave Creek if it is the flavor and spiciness of the peppers that I crave. Worth a drink... don't be scared to take the plunge. I know I was (chili beer?!) even though I tend to drink every beer with an open mind and palate.

03-31-2005 04:05:23 | More by neonbrown82
shapudding

3.75/5  rDev +5%

Draft at the Barcade in NY during our 3/19/05 crawl!
Was told it was tapped the night before. Deep and amber, clear, with a dusting of faint white head. Can’t smell anything really, just slight maltiness, very clean. -(and there was not a bit of smoke in the air). Smooth with a touch of carbonation, but you barely feel it -nice. Deep and malty, burnt toast. Bit of lingering caramelly sweetness. There is just a touch of a tingle to your tongue, but no heat at all. I was hoping to get a bit of it- I knew not to expect a CaveCreek or anything, but still thought I would catch more than there is. And since this was still freshly tapped, I assume this is what the heat is supposed to be at. A lot of flavor is left in your mouth. Decently drinkable with nice flavors, but I was still hoping to get a bit of a punch -or at least a nudge from this one.

03-20-2005 19:20:06 | More by shapudding
RockyTopHeel

Amber in color, with a small ring of off-white bubbles. Clean, crisp, and slightly hoppy aroma similar to a pale ale, with a hint of smoked pepper.

The taste is more of the same, and better than I expected. More smooth, smoky pepper with a palate-cleansing finish of hops. Very enjoyable and unique...

Now, to try the Mole Black & Tan with a Rogue Chocolate Stout....mmm...that's ridiculously tasty.

03-01-2005 13:21:48 | More by RockyTopHeel
blitheringidiot

2.53/5  rDev -29.1%

Eight ingredients: Great western Harrington, Klagos & Maier Munich Malts, Cascade & Willamette, Smoked Chipotle peppers, H2O & Pac Man yeast.

Dim cloudy peach hues containing small particles floating around, leaving a thin beige halo collar easily aroused and then flattened with a swirl.

Aromatic scents of hard candy, a oerceivable latex lolipop malts meets a vegetal celery salt hint. (Maybe my imagination, but Cuervo might be in there.)

First swigs: Malt and a delicate smoked background. Reminiscent of a scotch ale. Halfway through, the pepper hot twinge perks up with lingering butery malt aftertaste followed by a throat warming pepper. Aftertaste of diacetyl? Maybe this bottle is oxygenized?

Overall, this was merely a delve into the curiosity corner. This was a bottle of Mexicali, actually. Now labeled as Chipotle. I'd like to re-try this at a later date, but the Mexicali might be past its prime. Buttery malty ale with a touch of tobasco.

02-24-2005 14:12:40 | More by blitheringidiot
DPMomutant

Missouri

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

22oz bomber, bought on my trip to Vegas, and being eaten with cold, leftover Uno deep dish pizza (which is pretty good)

Pours a nice amber color like a good amber ale. Not much head to go around. Doesn't last long either but sticks a little bit.

Smell kind of reminds me of smoked beer with a touch of mexican food. Pretty good, and hopefully a good choice with this pizza.

The taste resembles a rauchbier that I once tried although not quite as smoky. Somewhat spicy but not overpowering. You still notice the hop bitterness at the end and I catch the malts in the aftertaste to let you remember this is beer.

The moderate carbonation combined with the spice make the mouthfeel a bit rougher than most, but not as much as you might think. The spice sticks on the back a bit.

I don't know how drinkable this would be as a session brew, but it would likely go with a good, spicy meal a helluva lot better than Corona.

11-12-2004 07:18:58 | More by DPMomutant
guinness33

4.18/5  rDev +17.1%

i was hesitant to sample this style, but, seeing as i like damn near anything that is spicy and rogue brews a beer within this style, i figured i'd give it a whirl and i'm glad i did. it pours a nice copper/orange colour with minimal head but what is there is rather sticky. the smell is mainly your basic pale ale, i felt, with a nice balance between earth malt and sweet hop. there, of course, is a noticeable chile/pepper smell as well. the flavour is pretty much spot on, starting out somewhat dry amnd malty before hitting a touch of those sweet hops and then finishing with a spice kick that will hit you but not overpower you. it's mixed in toward the end just right and provides for a lovely tingly mothfeel that is well placed with the carbonation of the brew. while i can't say that this one would be for everyone, i certainly enjoyed it. at the very least, give it a try. it's most definitely a well crafted brew, even if it is different.

10-21-2004 22:26:45 | More by guinness33
RoyalT

2.38/5  rDev -33.3%

Appearance – This one is clear brown in color with no head. It looks like a flat Marzen.

Smell – The light, weak malt nose is no match for the strong chile aroma. NassT.

Taste – I found some peaty notes that seem to say that these chiles were roasted on an open grill. It actually does taste a bit like chipotle, but in a bad sort of way.

Mouthfeel – This one is a bit bigger than light-bodied and flat. The aftertaste had me gagging.

Sinkability – Ay, caramba! Estos cervesa es muy malo.

10-15-2004 17:18:22 | More by RoyalT
TastyTaste

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured into a Schell tulip from a 22oz. bomber. Color is of dark iced tea, with a small white bubbly head that melts down to a small island of foam in the middle of the beer. I had a bottle of rogue smoke ale last week and it smells about the same, smoke. Taste is definitely of smoke for most of the sip, but leaves a chipotle tang at the end. Not anything I would call spicy (I use Tabasco at least 2 meals a day). Much better than Rogue's Smoke Ale, but nothing I would get ever again. Worth a try, though.

10-09-2004 15:15:42 | More by TastyTaste
Truh

New Hampshire

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Burned the devil with this one on 7/22/2004. 16-oz. pour at Redbones in a shaker glass.

Hue was amber to a slight vermilion. Little head to speak of; just a faint skein. Peppery spiciness accentuated by a grotto-like outer roundness to the whole nose gay. Not sure which hot peppers were used in this – chipolte, cascabel, California hybrid, Anaheim, jalapeno, pequin, or serrano – but whatever they were, they fired right through my lips, leaving a scalding trail up my tongue, through the roof of my mouth and up into my skull. And I loved it. There also seemed to be a slight cream edge, like baker’s chocolate. The spice didn’t really catch fire until five or six seconds after each swallow. I was happy that the only other thing I was eating at Redbones on this visit was water, and not their barbecue, because I think that would have been sheer overkill. Overall, this is a medium-bodied offering and one that I would choose to have more than one of if my tongue would allow it. I truly enjoyed this unusual pour, and in the end, it packed no more heat than a few drops of Tabasco.

09-24-2004 23:50:10 | More by Truh
donnebaby

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Almost clear copper color with a fat collar of white foam. Nose was a balanced combination of sweetness and roasted peppers, with smoky chipotle as well. Taste, too, was oily roasted peppers and a drawn out smokiness. Really grew on me as I drank it, and I would definitely order it again. Good stuff.

Had on-tap at the Rogue Public House in San Fran, where Larry told me it makes a great chaser for tequila ;)

09-14-2004 19:00:41 | More by donnebaby
ADR

3.18/5  rDev -10.9%

Clearish darker amber appearance, head settles to a skim in about 40 seconds. Laces in very fine strings on the side of the glass. Aroma is relatively subtle, smokey with a rustic rye bread maltiness, prickly and spicy. Medium mouthfeel overall, but with a mask of fullness. Pepper is certainly apparent in the flavor profile, and early -- generates heat by the third sip. Hops play in tune with the spiciness, there's an onion skin bittering in the aftertaste. Chile beers are one of the few that I rarely have a favorite in, but there is a better sense of sweet malt balance here than in many. I still have trouble finishing a whole bomber of this one, though. Intriguing aroma.

08-15-2004 21:27:58 | More by ADR