Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
grittybrews

Washington

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured a dark ruby amber into a tulip with two fingers of bright white head. Aroma dominated by chipotle pepper (go figure).

Moderate carbonation and a creamy mouthfeel. Chipotle up front followed by solid caramelmaltt and a more smoke-dominated pepper character on the finish.

Nicely done, but a little one-dimensional. Malt. Chipotle. Okay, I guess that's two dimensions.

06-20-2011 04:07:23 | More by grittybrews
bmwats

Louisiana

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from 650 ml bottle into a standard pint.

A: Amber hue. Light carbonation rises throughout. Pours about a 1 finger, foamy, bone white head. Settles fairly slowly leaving a little blanket of foam on the surface. Some decent beer ring lacing.

S: Malty baked bread nose. Really woody tone, and a hint of peppers as its namesake.

T: Pale malty flavor, lightly hopped, with just the right amount of chili pepper. As much as the slight spice, you get the nice earthy flavor of the pepper as well. Just a bit of an earthy hop note.

M: Pretty light body. Does leave you with a bit of a washed out feeling, but the pepper gives you a nice hint of spice that lingers throughout the experience.

D: Great refreshing quality, but hearty enough for a prolonged drink.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Decent body, and a fair foamy head. Nose has a nicely balanced combination of malt, earthtone, and pepper. Flavor follows suit. Pale malt, earthy heartiness, and a nice subtle chile pepper. Overall, this is a good quaff.

06-19-2011 02:21:34 | More by bmwats
strangemusic

British Columbia (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

The pour is dark amber orange, with a slight, light tan head. Looks like a competent red ale or pale ale.

The aroma really isn't all that impressive. Light malts, some caramel, a bit of smoke discernible.

Taste is much better. It starts out with flavours of lemon zest, very crisp and somewhat bitter, astringent - then sweet malts kick in, and the smoke and heat of the chipotle peppers dominates the long finish, giving the beer more depth.

Mouthfeel is medium-thin, a bit soapy, but held together by the nice finish. Average.

Overall, it's like a rauchbier but not nearly as aggressive - sweet and zesty to balance the smoke. Not something I'm racing out to get another bottle of, but not bad either.

06-16-2011 19:08:43 | More by strangemusic
zoolzoo

Connecticut

3.95/5  rDev +10.6%

This is, to date, the only Chile beer I have had. I like this beer, though it is impossible for me to make any comparisons.

Pour: Hazy copper, white head. Lots of lacing...

The aroma is a combination of lightly smoked, grainy malt and a somewhat "green" vegetal impression.

The taste is comprised of a robust malt base and a light, bitter hop addition. The pepper aspect really only creates some heat in the finish... though the taste of smoked pepper is all about. Im getting that same raw green pepper from the nose somewhere mid sip, which adds some character to the whole package. I think Id like to feel a bit more peppery heat, just for fun.

Motuhfeel is medium light, carbonation is high. Heat or spice from the pepper addition does not detract from drinkability. This is actually quite refreshing, especially with a meal.

Though I dont have another chile beer to compare this to, I think this is a well crafted and interesting drink.

06-15-2011 22:31:05 | More by zoolzoo
peensteen

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%

Hazy copper/amber colour, light white head and no lace. Smell is smokey, chile pepper, campfire like, bacon and a light malt. Taste is smokey, malt, mild bitterness, nice heat in the finish and aftertaste as well as a light hoppy citrus note. Medium body, medium carbonation, nice overall weight, good feel. This was better than I thought, would be nice with BBQ or chile but worked well on a warm Sunday afternoon.

06-14-2011 23:52:59 | More by peensteen
bryehn

3.08/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a nice amber colour with a soapy tan head that collars and leaves a small amount of lace at the top of the glass.

Whoa! I don't like this smell. It's like a weird, extremely astringent gasoline or magic marker smell with a chemically smoke overtone. It literally made me gag. I think I expected something softer and more peppery in tone.

The taste is sweet yet smoky after an oddly crisp start. Surprisingly malty and definitely better after it warms.

Mouth is light-medium bodied with a low carbonation. Gets malty and spicy on the back end.

I frankly didn't know that Chille Beer was a style (thought it'd be under herbed/spiced) and have never had one before so I'll give it a pass. But, the smell is just too much for me to consider drinking more than the two I bought already.

06-14-2011 21:03:32 | More by bryehn
JohnnyBarman

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Single bottle, part of the June LCBO Rogue release. Never had a chili beer, so I really don't know what to expect!

Poured into a nonic. A nice amber brew, slightly murky, a good frothy head that displays nice retention and makes some fine lacing. A good looking brew.

Nose is surprisingly mild. Malt, a bit of cascade hops, and what I assume to be the peppers, but had I not known what the beer's ingredients were beforehand, I would have just called it a 'astringent smokiness'.

Interesting - not in that patronizing sense of "that piece of modern art is...interesting", but that this beer is demanding my interest because there's a lot going on and I'm not sure what to make of it. Starts off slightly malty and with a bit of an IPA feel to it, before the chili peppers rush in. The chipotles give the brew a nice peppery southwest, with hints of smoke and leather, with the sweet malts and west coast hops cleansing the palate. Not a spicy brew; it just possesses a mix of flavors that seem to work fairly well together. As you get used to the taste, the chipotle becomes a little less predominant and it starts to taste a bit like a "southwestern rauchbier", imo.

Assertive carbonation, medium bodied, oily.

Not bad, probably not something I'd have too often, but I agree with a previous reviewer that this might be a great cooking brew. While it mercifully didn't taste like someone dumped pepper juice into a beer tun, the pepper flavor is only mild - I had expected a bit more zing to it. Still, an fine effort.

06-10-2011 18:38:28 | More by JohnnyBarman
mintjellie

2.93/5  rDev -17.9%

Red hued amber in colour. Creamy eggshell coloured foam retains moderately well and leaves a spotty lace. Muted aromas of toast and smoke. Tastes toasty with chipotle smokiness. Slight tang. Mild bitterness. Barely even a tingle of warmth from the peppers. Medium bodied with soft carbonation. Feels smooth. I'm quite disappointed they played it safe with the chipotle, there is only a little smoke and almost no spice to be found in this beer. It doesn't taste bad, but it fails to meet expectations. A beer called Chipotle Ale should taste like chipotles.

06-09-2011 03:19:49 | More by mintjellie
heebes

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

Review from notes:

Pour was a cloudy orange, good head with plenty of lacing. Nose was spicy and peppers. Taste was pretty smooth, not overly done on the chipotle but enough to dominate the palate. Spicyness in the finish. Medium bodied. Overall a rather impressive chipotle ale and exceeded expectations.

06-08-2011 23:13:48 | More by heebes
MattyV

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a nice abmber colour with a thin slightly off-white head. Aroma's fairly weak, some sweet caramel malt and some peppery spice, hinting at the chipotle, and "grilled meat"? (that's the only way I can describe it. A campfire smokiness comes out later as it warms. The taste is dominated by sweet buttery malt and bbq like smokiness. Not picking up much heat at all except for an underlying peppery spice. Average body and carbonation, nothing to write home about but not disappointing. This has been my first foray into this fringe style, but I was expecting a bit more heat. However, while an entire bomber may be a bit much for one sitting, I may pick up another for cooking purposes.

06-07-2011 05:44:41 | More by MattyV
d4114

2.95/5  rDev -17.4%

A- Copper with a finger of off white head

S- Could smell it as soon as I opened it. Smells strong of smocked meats, also getting caramel and roasted malts, some alcohol too.

T- Smokey and buttery; I get meaty and bbq flavors that are followed by some buttery and creamy flavors.

M- Light bodied; Watery and light but not crisp.

O- Not bad but really not that good. Didn't get much heat from the peppers. After drinking half the bottle I was ready to stop drinking it.

06-02-2011 00:11:32 | More by d4114
washburnkid

2.2/5  rDev -38.4%

I can't be sure, but I think the nitro totally destroyed this beer. I'm always willing to give nitro a shot and thought this one would be interesting but nope, it was not interesting at all.

Two fingers of bubbly nitro head. Body is copper. Nothing much by way of aroma, which makes me sad. Seriously, there is nothing discernible here. Flavors are watery and reminiscent of plastic. What follows is heavy biscuit malts. The mouthfeel is flat and thin, and bitter residuals are left behind but nothing with great flavor. What the hell happened here? Where's the smokiness? Where are my chipotle flavors?? This is not what the doctor ordered. I'll be sure to try it again in a bottle and fix up my review if I need to...

Serving type: nitro-tap

05-26-2011 22:20:29 | More by washburnkid
Ralphs66

3.78/5  rDev +5.9%

A very interesting break from the norm. The smokiness that the chile's add to this ale makes it highly worthwhile. Not overpowering in any way, the bite compliments what seems to be an already very drinkable brew. Deep honey coloration, with just a bit of head. It came as part of a flight and the head/lacing may have lessened before it arrived at my table. Smoky smell, with just that subtle hint of jalapeno. Consistent taste. Went extremely well with the BBQ I was having, and was a extremely nice warm up to the RIS that followed.

05-26-2011 12:20:36 | More by Ralphs66
WastingFreetime

Wisconsin

4.22/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured from a bomber with no discernible date stamp into a generic goblet. I should mention that I am a big fan of spicy food, so my palate's tolerance for chile heat is somewhat higher than your average Joe's is.

A. Well, according to Rogue's website this is supposed to be a modified golden ale but that is NOT what I am seeing. This is coppery-brown in color, so color me confused. Very nicely opaque without being overly murky. I get about one finger's worth of a light spritzy head that dies down without any lacing at all. Despite the brewery's confusing color claims, I do in fact like how this brew looks quite a lot.

S. The smoked chipotle peppers, predictably enough, hit me right away with an intense rauchbier aroma. Just afterward I get the smell of a really well made mole sauce sans the chicken stock smell. Substituting for the chicken stock component are the sweet malts and the delicate spicing of some floral hops that compliment the way that some of the milder chiles have floral notes behind their heat. Fantastic and it actually makes me briefly hungry for Mexican.

T. Sweet malt up front yields to the fruity qualities of a well stewed chipotle. The citric elements of the chiles are amplified and supported by the skeleton of the hops. Sadly, either my palate is too jaded to experience much heat beyond a mild lip-warming or this brew could use some more chiles in it. I'm not certain which it is, so I won't deduct too much score for it. Oh yes, mustn't forget to mention that the malt flavor profile rather resembles that of a Schlenkaria Marzen to me. If it weren't for the chiles, this brew would definitely have been classified as a Rauchbier. A really good one at that. The smokey finish lasts and lasts. Delightful.

M. Medium heavy body with really nice carbonation. No complaints here.

I'd buy this one again without a second thought.

05-24-2011 19:40:46 | More by WastingFreetime
blakereik

Nebraska

4.3/5  rDev +20.4%

This is better than other chili beers, the fact that they are using roasted Jalapeños rather than raw makes a big difference, the pepper is subtle and does not overwhelm the decent ale that it is layered into. There are only smoky overtones noticed at first, as the temperature of the beer rises the pepper is more noticeable.

05-09-2011 13:49:17 | More by blakereik
output01x

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle (no date) into a pint glass.

A moderate pour yields a 1/2-finger off-white head that quickly dissipates to a very light dusting and thin foam ring. The body is a hazy honey amber color with very few carbonation bubbles. Light lacing is noticed throughout consumption.

Sweet malts and light, floral hops aromas give way to a spicy pepper overtone. Unfortunately, the aromas are rather muted which makes analysis rather difficult.

Sweet malts start the sip, but a smoky pepper flavor quickly takes over. The pepper is not exactly spicy, but is definitely striking. It definitely has more of a chipotle feel, as the flavor is more earthy and rustic. Honestly, I expected more of a spicy assault than I was given.

Light bodied with strong carbonation, this beer is nearly gulp-worthy and almost thirst-quenching. The combination between the carbonation and the body is fantastic as it creates a great late spring / summer beer that is very pair-able with many cuisines.

While the look of this beer leaves much to be desired, the mouthfeel is superb. The smell is quite lacking and the flavor, while decent, could definitely use more of a bite. While this is probably not a beer I would be clamoring to purchase again, I can understand why some would seek it out.

05-06-2011 06:25:09 | More by output01x
shand

4.28/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a nonic.

Now I love spicy foods, and I love beer, but I came into this one a little hesitant. Chiles in my beer? Anyhow, I needed something to drink on Cinco de Mayo that's not another adjunct lager, so decided this was as good a time as any to pick this up. This one pours a slightly hazy lighter red-orange color, and is crested with a nice two fingers of head. The head laces very well. The smell on this ... fingers crossed ... is nice! An upfront smokiness blends with some nice slightly sweet maltiness. A little bit of spice gets stick in the nose. The taste is very good. It goes down easily at first, with some nice smokiness over the malt base, then the chipotles make their presence known at the end with just the right amount of heat.

The mouthfeel is great, it's the perfect thickness to let the chilis make themselves known, without being too thick for the fairly easiygoing intro. The only thing I can knock this on is the drinkability. It drinks quite easily at first, but the last eight or so ounces do begin to drag. 12oz bottles would be perfect here. Either way it'd be a one and done though. A surprisingly good and unique ale here I really enjoyed. Give it a try.

05-06-2011 04:00:16 | More by shand
bens0n

4.15/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This beer pours a slightly murky reddish amber color with a fair amount of foamy off white head that doesn't last for long Not much lacing going on either.

I was expecting to smell hot spicy peppers but it just smells alot like dead guy ale. There are some sweet malts that come up at the end but very little actual spicy pepper is there for me to pick out. Overall it smells sweet, which is surprising to me.

Its easy to pick out the pacman yeast at the beginning but then the chipotle peppers kick in at the end. Its a well balanced amber ale until the peppers hit your taste buds. This beer leaves a hot tingly sensation in the back of your throat and the peppers are definitely more on the aftertaste than the initial flavor. It has a nice low/medium carbonation level.

Overall this beer is awesome, I had never tried a chile beer before and I was really satisfied with it. I didn't know what to expect and I was impressed, definitely a great beer to enjoy on cinco de mayo.

05-06-2011 00:34:58 | More by bens0n
aasher

Indiana

3.43/5  rDev -3.9%

This beer pours a very clear copper in color with a one finger off white head. The smell is of moderate pepper. It's not as much as I'd hoped for. It has light smokiness and has a malt aroma similar to that of malt liquor. Strange. Luckily, the pepper heat becomes more prominent as it warms. The flavor is very smokey. I don't get a lot of pepper but I do get a light spice to it. It reminds me of the Shiner Smokhaus for some reason. It's very malty and there are no hops to be found. It's just malt and spice. Some sweetness arises on the back end of the beer. It drinks light and is drinkable enough. This style is an acquired taste. I'm a fan of the style but this beer isn't special enough to warrant your $6.

04-26-2011 03:10:53 | More by aasher
vtblackdog

Vermont

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance is a copper color. Not much head forms and what does disappears quickly.

Smell is very weak. I can not get much at all ... some very weak malt aromas.

Taste is a smokey pepper one. I taste the pepper which is why I drink this style. One can not give me enough pepper in a brew. I'll trade for any chile beer you have!

Mouthfeel is on the thin side but I like the burning sensation.

Overall I like this beer as a very drinkable one.

04-24-2011 17:45:56 | More by vtblackdog
PicoPapa

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

22oz bottle. Pours a murky amberish brown color with a very small layer of head. Good amount of lacing. Aroma is peppery and smokey. Jalapenos and malts. Smells spicy. Flavor is spicy as well. Tastes peppery but is a bit watery. Smokey flavor along with spicy chiles. Smokey aftertaste. I would love to pair this beer with some Mexican food next time. This beer is a lot like a Rauchbier. Overall, I liked this beer and enjoy this style. Worth buying again.

04-21-2011 05:39:20 | More by PicoPapa
match1112

3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

pours a nice hazy copper color with a one finger head that quickly disappears and leaves no lacing. the smell is that of malt liquor. at first i picked up the sweetness of the malts, then suddenly i got a little smokey flavor with very little pepper. sadly it disappears as fast as it shows up. mouthfeel was clean and crisp up front, then turns slightly creamy with a dry finish. overall i wish this beer had more heat to it, luckily it was well matched with bbq chicken. i will definatly try this in the future.

04-18-2011 22:50:51 | More by match1112
ChugginOil

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

When poured a light orange liquid settles a foggy amber. Two fingers of cream colored head leaves creamy, bubble filled lacing that clings to the glass shortly before sliding down to the waiting brew.

The nose brings scents of smoked chipotle peppers with an inviting sweet malt backbone. Interesting to say the least.

When tasted, Chipotle Ale punches my palate with a smokey peppery smackdown. This smoke infused ale is dominated by the up front chipotle mash. There is a bit of sweet malt along with a tad bit of hop bitterness. Peppers all over the place here.

The mouthfeel is crisp and carbonated up front but mellows to a creamy river of chipotle peppers.

Overall, very interesting take on a smokey brew. Super drinkable but beware! I had immense heart burn after ingesting this brew! Ouch, not worth it really.

04-05-2011 06:11:09 | More by ChugginOil
MufflnMan

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at The Thirsty Monk. Poured a copper color with an off white head. Nose is very peppery with some malt and promises the chipotle that is expected. Small amount of malt in the taste with a well balanced chipotle flavor... not too much, not too little. If you like what's promised by this beer, it delivers nicely. Still, not the most interesting of brews.

04-05-2011 04:54:34 | More by MufflnMan
ShanePB

22 oz bottle - cha cha!

A: Copper body with some dark rustic orange hues. Dismal white head that retains nothing of itself. Kind of boring.

S: Lackluster aromas... Malt bill is the stand out base here. Bready malts try to blend with some very faint piney hops. Some roasted vegetables and black pepper spice come through as the beer warms a bit.

T: Sipped cold, the flavor profile is virtually non-existent. The chipotle spice was completely masked, though as it warmed, the flavors became more evident. Watery grains and corn husk are present in the beginning and middle of the palate. The finish brings the chipotle peppers and leaves a slight warming sensation through your throat and chest -- nothing overbearing, don't worry.

M: Medium-bodied, nice smooth and even carbonation for the style - helps deliver the peppery flavors all over the palate.

In comparison to the only other Chile beer I've had, Theobroma, this misses a lot of points. The peppers are done correctly, not overbearing but present, although other than that, there is nothing else going on with this beer. Will NOT seek out again but worth trying for the curiosity of it.

04-04-2011 19:43:12 | More by ShanePB