Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +23%

A - the beer light brown, with nice head.

S - Smells of some citrus along with hop aroma, cannot really smell the Chipotle.

T - Sweet malt with a hint of raisin flavor, not too sweet not to astringent.

M - I do not taste the Chipotle, I love spicy, and it might be spicy for someone else, but I do not see it. the mouth feel is nice

D - drinks nice, a good beer, not really a spiced beer for my taste.

4.38/5  rDev +23%

My first chile style beer, so I can't really score per the style.

Pours a pretty golden color with a thin head. Aromas are sort of mute. Smells sweet with citrus and fruit from the hops. Sweet malt aromas dominate the nose I think.

Tastes great. Has a sort of fruity and citrusy backbone from the hops. Light accents of sweet malt. I don't really get a lot of flavor from the chiles, but their heat is most definitely there.

The heat gets more noticeable as you drink it. It's not overbearing at all. And I got to say that this heat in beer is an interesting concept. It adds that background flavor that just makes it interesting.

4.38/5  rDev +23%

A: cloudy rust orange body, finger white head,
great lacing

S: smoky chipotle peppers, earthy malt, hint of pine

T: mild lemon grass, pine, earthy malt,
low slow roasted/chipotle smoky bitter/spice

M: med body, smooth/semi-dry mouth

O: WOW! This beer surprised me. Grabbed it
celebrate Cinco de Mayo and mad I didn't
grab more for future Mexican food nights.

DELICIOUS, GRAB A BOTTLE!

4.4/5  rDev +23.6%

4.43/5  rDev +24.4%

Appearance: Poured from the bottle with a reddish brown color and a thin white head. The head has some nie stickiness and leaves a good amount of lacing on the sides of my sniffer glass.

Smell: Wow, this smells like a smoked beer (Rauchbier). It smells roasty and like roasted vegetables.

Taste: Very smokey, malty, and roasty. It has a veggie character to it and some sweetness. There is a sweet flavor of roasted pepper skin as well as black peppercorns and a fresh cut grass. This a very tasty beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth. Coats the mouth well and allows me to enjoy the flavor with all of my taste buds.

Drinkability: Very good, very tasty and original. It'[s smooth and well done. I really like the roasted pepper taste in here.

4.43/5  rDev +24.4%

A mold of clouded copper. Small, unlasting cap of big bubbly froth. Light lacing with some strings and tiny spots.

Aroma is lovely with a huge smokey malt and roasted pepper waft.
Round and spicy, smokey and resonating. Nice!

Taste is just as nice with moderate malts giving weight to the smokey ridge in which it rides. Fun lingering finish with the smokey leftovers and grab of roasted pepper spice. It wavers on the palate for good length with smokey pepperness. Quite nice. Never over the top with its spice, but definately present.

Feel is a sturdy medium body with a malty centered middle and one fun finish with the smokey spices and lightly textured dryness.

A drinkable, fun brew to behold if in the mood for something out of the ordinary. Perfectly spiced and smokey for this Northern boys' buds.

4.43/5  rDev +24.4%

Just want to start by saying that a Chipotle pepper is one of my favorite flavors, on/in anything. So naturally I was excited about this beer.

A- Even the color looks smoky, nice rust orange cloudy. Foreshadows the flavor.

S- Smells just like I hoped it would. Pepper aroma thats not over powering.

T- I don't know what a "perfect" chili beer tastes like but this will work for me. Great southwest spiced flavor with a hint of malt. Not overpowering or spicy but just dang tasty.

M- Good carbonation and just a touch dry, which works with the pepper flavors

D- I could see how after a few the taste would get old but I enjoyed the heck out of the one I had. Would be great with a southwest dish of comparable flavors.

Overall great beer and a different taste. This beer exceeded what I thought a chipotle beer would be like.

4.45/5  rDev +25%

Appearance:
I poured this beer directly from the bottle into red wine glass. The liquid was a reddish copper color and the head was a very pale tan. Just a shade off of white.

Smell:
The malt in this beer is very noticeable. The smell that the chipotle gives off is very faint. It's as if you walked into a room where chipotles where on display, rather than holding one up to your nose.

Taste:
The taste of this beer is very unique. The hop flavor is almost inevident, but chipotle fills that hole very nicely. It isn't a strong chile flavor though (scoville-phobes need not avoid this brew). The chipotle taste is not overbearing and definitely not spicy.

Mouth feel:
Drinking this beer gives me the feeling of having eaten a very spicy meal about 45 minutes ago. I just have a sort of a very gentle tingling in the gums and palate. I'm not sure I described that correctly, but it's a very enjoyable feeling.

Overall:
This is a very nice beer and a unique one to experience. This is my first chile beer, and I hope to explore many more offerings in the genre.

FULL DISCLOSURE: Though I wouldn't even call this spicy, I do enjoy really spicy food and the feeling you get from it.

4.45/5  rDev +25%

I picked this up because I flat out love chipotle peppers. I only had one other beer with peppers before and it was a porter. Anyhoo...

Poured a nice cloudy copper with a nice thick bone white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass about halfway through. Lacing is thin but slightly sticky. Overall a good looking ale.

The aroma is malty and smokey. After the first sip the smokey aroma leaves the nose and brings out the malts. Slightly sweet, a little woody.

This is an example of a beer that lives up to it's expectations. There is a quick malty sweetness in the front and then... did I eat a chipotle pepper? haha no! this has the perfect taste of chipotle peppers. The smoke comes through as if you had just ate something cooked with the peppers. The heat is in the background, but not over powering.

The mouthfeel is light and the carbonation is spot on. Again the spice is here with heat in the back of your throat, but not overwhelming.

Drinkability is good, but after drinking an entire bomber, I am not craving more. This beer has served it's purpose and I'm ready to move on. You'd have to be a big pepper fan to drink this one all night.

Well with all that being said, I'm glad I picked this one up. And, also glad I have another one in the fridge. I almost feel like attempting this as a homebrew to give as gifts. Thanks Rogue! Well played!

4.47/5  rDev +25.6%

Pours out a rich amber with moderate carbonation and a khaki head that settles to a sturdy, dimpled, and wavy 1/2". Leaves Very fine lace patterns. Smell is of faint chipotle at first, followed by a rich bready and nutty maltiness, floral hops, a smokiness (removed from the chile) not unlike that of a Scottish ale, and some buttery notes. Chipotle really comes out in the forefront of the flavor. Beneath it, I get a bready and nutty malt backbone, filled out with some soft, floral hops flavors. Finishes dry and slightly bitter. Mouthfeel is substantial, not too heavy or thin, with a softness in the carbonation that makes this wonderful. Leaves a little heat on my lips and a little bit less on the tongue. This would be a great session.

This could be written off as some sort of novelty beer, but I really think the chipotle works excellently at accenting the pale ale/amber ale base. Really reminds me of a Scottish ale but with a hint of chile.

4.47/5  rDev +25.6%

Appearance is a translucent amber-orange with a huge tan head. The individual bubbles on the side of the glass look larger than usual. Gorgeous lacing as I drink it down.

The smell is smoky chipotle. It's overwhelming.

Taste is, you guessed it, smoky chipotle. I've had beer infused with hot peppers before and they were disgusting. This one is great. It's not hot, it just gives you the smoke and the flavor of the chipotle pepper. There's a sweet smooth malt flavor underneath the chipotle. I made some enchiladas the other day with chipotles in them and I can't wait to eat the one I'm warming, accompanied by this beer, as soon as I finish this review. I love chipotle peppers and I can't believe it works this well in a beer.

Nice thick creamy mouthfeel.

This stuff is awesome. I wish I could have one of these every time I have mexican food.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales